Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We've renamed this discussion to Problems & Solutions. Sounds like a few owners need some help - anyone?

davidsr17, check out the "No Start" Problems discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • deanichibandeanichiban Member Posts: 1
    That's interesting, I have the exact same problem, and I also have a 2001 Santa Fe. I noticed that mine gets stuck in 3rd gear and the engine check light comes on when I have the air conditioning on, and then when I turn it off and on again, it's fine. Also, when it's stuck in 3rd gear, when I switch to the manual mode, I can get down to 2nd and back up to 3rd, but that's it. I took it to my regular mechanic, and they said the computer wasn't returning any fault codes. I'm hesitant to take it to my local dealer, because I went to them for my brakes and rotors, and the rotors warped in two weeks. Anyway, if you find anything out, I'd really appreciate the info. Thanks!
  • maygoldmaygold Member Posts: 1
    i have 2002 santa fe,,, having the same problem spend three days in shop, yes,, they have a expensive machine that can not tell you whats wrong. if you find out anything or i do please let me no.
  • nabeelnabeel Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I just buy a used Santa Fe 2001. It's speed gauge is not working. Can any one please help me with what is the first think to check , remembel I am in Iraq :surprise:

Thanke you for you help
    Nabeel
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Congratulations!

It might help if you indicated the general condition of the vehicle and how many miles/kilometers it has been driven.

tidester, host
  • nabeelnabeel Member Posts: 2
    Hello Tidester,

Thank you very much. Till now I did not have much time with my Santa Fe becoxz I work for 14 hours daily But it is look in good condition and the last Kilometers read was 107K. It is manual gear

Thank you again.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The first thing I would check is whether any recall issues have been properly dealt with. You can get details here: Maintenance Schedule

Good luck!

tidester, host
  • bjesterizedbjesterized Member Posts: 1
    I was driving over a rail road track and something flew up and cut my gas line. After 5 days in the shop, I was informed that it was going to cost $670.00 to have it fixed. I was curious as to why the fuel lines aren't protected in some way since it is an SUV. Has anyone else had or heard of this happening, or am I just Mr. Lucky?
  • lawrinlawrin Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I own a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe. We bought it in November 2004 and it has just over 13,000 miles on it. Shortly after we bought it, I noticed a very faint, high-pitch noise while driving home one day. The noise only occurs when I reach 50 MPH. If I let off the gas, it seems to stop or if I speed up past 50MPH it stops. It only seems to happen right at 50MPH. I have not noticed any deficiency in performance, it is just annoying, especially when passengers ask "Is that your car making that noise"! I just had it in the shop, and they did not hear the noise until I took it out with a technician. He finally heard what I was referring to. It is kind of like the high-pitched frequencies that they do when you get a hearing test. I was just wondering if anyone else out there with a 04 Santa Fe has experienced the same thing, and if so, was a service department able to figure out what was causing the noise and what was done to fix it. -- THANKS :shades:
  • scarletjoanscarletjoan Member Posts: 2
    Did you find out the problem? I need help. My car is a 2003 Santa Fe and the noise is driving me crazy. I have had it to one dealer 3 times and another one time. They cannot find out what it is. Please let me know if you had your problem solved.
    Thank You
  • scarletjoanscarletjoan Member Posts: 2
    Did you find out your problem? I have the same thing.
  • anuckanuck Member Posts: 5
    Hi-I have an 03 Santa Fe. It is currently in the shop for the 3rd time. It has been making a moaning/whining sound once the brakes get warmed up and I'm in stop-n-go traffic or sometimes driving in parking lots. It stops when I hit the gas but I hear it the most when I'm costing or slowly applying the brakes. I was told it was the caliper (sp?) leakinig brake fluid and causing it to stick to the pad. I've had the caliper on the front passinger replaced twice and it does stop the noise for a while- 2 to 3 months. It started doing it again so I've told the dealer to keep the car until they find out what is causing the leak-I don't want to have to have the caliper's replaced every few months. If you are hearing a similar noise, have the calipers/brake pads checked for a leak. Anyone else having this same issue? If so, did you find out what the root cause is? This is such a pain to keep going back. Hope this helps somebody out.
  • mcamp2mcamp2 Member Posts: 2
    I had a high pitch noise in my 2002 Santa Fe. They had to replace the power steering pump to get rid of the noise.
  • mcamp2mcamp2 Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem and they replace with a larger alternator.
    I am having the same problem again after another 60000 miles.
    guessing I'll have to replace the alternator.
    One thing I forgot to mention about the noise on my 03 Sante Fe-the brake pedal would vibrate when the noise got really bad. This was the pad sticking I guess. Based on the few responses I've seen so far, there is all kinds of parts I can have replaced to fix this. :) It's 3pm my time and I haven't heard from my dealer yet-I guess my car is staying overnight again.
  • newportjeffnewportjeff Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this group I have a 2002 Santa fe 2.7 liter my battery keeps going dead I brought it in to the dealer they said the battery and alternator are fine they also told me the fog lights i add are draining the battery down my question is i want to install a bigger alternator but i dont know what size would be good i think i have a 85 amp now can someone point me in the right way the dealership has been no help at all they say it cant be done Thank you
  • codata99codata99 Member Posts: 123
    It could be the gear whining noise from the differential. I believe there's a TSB on this issue, so get a printout of the TSB from www.hmaservice.com and show it to the dealer.
    If your SF still has the original battery and alternator, they probably need to be replaced under the warranty. There have been some marginal alternators installed in early Santa Fes. Check this web site, www.hmaservice.com for TSBs regarding the alternator/charging issue.

I used to post hot links to the TSBs, but the site no longer allows that. You need to dig them up on your own :D
  • griffbuffgriffbuff Member Posts: 1
    I just had my 2002 Santa Fe, 2.7L engine (45,000 miles), dropped off at the dealer because it continued to accelerate after letting off of the accelerator. I pulled over and shut it off and checked the gas pedal. It wasn't stuck. I checked the throttle body and it wasn't stuck either, but when I started it, the engine raced and the tachometer showed the RPMs climbing like it was going to rev to the maximum, so I shut it down. Has anyone had a problem like this? Thanks.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    we had our santa fe towed in friday because it sounds as if no oil is getting to the rocker arms...Tap Tap tap tap tap tap tap. Will post what they find as soon as I hear back.
    throttle position sensor?
  • sn12sn12 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 04 santa fe - 10,000 miles bought new at dealership 05 jul 04 - no problem with that. did have a problem with the fuel gauge initially - would not register correctly - fixed at dealership shortly after purchase. did have a bump reaction when first started after sitting in drive for 30 minutes after being driven somewhere - that also fixed at dealership shortly after purchase. hope this helps
  • sn12sn12 Member Posts: 2
    yes - we have not every time and it goes away quickly - don't know what it might be - but i know what you are talking about
  • santafenjsantafenj Member Posts: 3
    I can relate. Newbie here. Needed to complain a bit, so bear with me. My 2003 Santa Fe is heading back into the shop today for the 5th time in 2 months with shifting problems and bucking. I have owned my car since the beginning, only 25 miles on it when I bought it in 2003. I still have a warranty (thank god) but it is at 27000 miles which means no lemon law for me.
    The first time they found nothing and the check engine light wasn't on. The second time it went in the light was on and they claimed to fix a valve and a gasket. Third time in they replaced the computer assembly and reprogrammed the computer. Fourth time in they replaced the wiring harness and assembly, solenoid, TCM (?), control module, relay A/T Control, and ECM harness. Interested to see what happens this time. I considered asking about a trade-in for a different car, but the loaner cars they give me have problems, too. One tucson had no air with only 11 miles on it and the other wouldn't even start so they had to dig out a different loaner. SERIOUSLY thinking about calling a lawyer.
    I have my car back now. It was supposedly driven all week by varying tech to try and hear the noise. I think it was driven a whole 7 miles based on the odometer. They ended up replacing the rotors on both driver and passenger side and the caliper on the drivers side. I never had a noise coming from the driver's side. The rationale was so that both sides would be closer to the same age. ? The passenger side caliper's been replaced twice. Somehow the lead tech finally heard the noise and was able to do all of this between 11 (when I called for an update) and 3 on Friday , after nothing was heard or done on my car that I dropped off Monday morning at 7am. So far, no more noise, but I'm skeptical.

Has anyone had this happen: Driving along at highway speeds and suddenly the car jerks, as if it's changing gears. As best I can tell, I'm putting consistent pressure on the gas, so the speed isn't changing and I don't notice a jump in the RPMs. I menitoned this to the dealer a few trips to the shop ago and was told something about it (the transmission) trying to anticipate a change and it wasn't sure if it needed to shift up or down. Didn't make much sense to me. This doesn't happen very often, but it's pretty startling when it does.
    For the jerking problem, see my post 961 ... same problem. They're clueless as to how to fix it.
    If you are serious about your problems, here is a site to file a complaint with the government:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

I had a problem submitting mine electronically, so I printed it and sent it by regular mail. I told them everything I had a problem with and said I'm not the only one. If you take 5 mins. to fill this out we may get something done. I feel that my car is dangerous to drive when it is jerking and bucking in front of other cars or not accelerating properly. Don't you agree?
  • santacatsantacat Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem. I have a 2004 Santa Fe 2.7L GLS, just turned 10,000 miles. Bought it new (22 miles on it when I took it home) in April 2004. It is now 15 months old and I have been having the same chugging/lurching problem with 1st gear. My car first started doing this about 6 months after I bought it. I start it up, put it in reverse, back out of the garage, or parking space, or where ever I am, and then press the gas. The car jumps and chugs like my old 5-speed manual did when I was learning the clutch. I let off the gas and try again and it works just fine. I have also found that if I shift from reverse to drive, and then wait 5 to 10 seconds before stepping on the gas, it has no problem. It seems that the transmission is just slow to shift from reverse to drive and has to catch up. I haven't had any problems going from any other gear into drive, but I must say that it is rare that I don't have to back up before I go foward after the car has been parked for any ammount of time. Haven't taken it to the dealership yet.. so far its just been a little annoying... but am planning to take it soon. I'll let ya know what they say.
  • nordynordy Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 Santa Fe that needs new brakes for the rear ('hey, we should probably do the front at the same time!') and we've only put on about 22K (not miles, KMs!). Going to find out tonight why a brake job is required so soon after purchase...It's not like I'm too hard on the brakes...my last truck (granted, it was standard) only required 5 brake jobs over its 230K lifetime! I just find it odd that we haven't even made it a year before a brake job is needed!
  • ltimmerltimmer Member Posts: 2
    I generally drive with the window up and air on (before the air compressor died on me that is) but what I noticed was the same sound you are referring to. My particular noise happens when I go fast too... place your hand over the side mirror and see if it stops... that's where mine is coming from - the air blowing through the mirror joint.
  • ltimmerltimmer Member Posts: 2
    HI,
    We have the same model, about 73k miles on it now. Our vibration started at around 65 mph and did seem to go away around 75-80. We just had the front ball joints replaced because you could shake the tired back and forth (they say you shouldnt be able to do this at all, what do I know). But I saw it and they were lying. The left side was bad enough that the inside of the tire was worn to the wire.
    They realigned the front too and well, it's only been one day but the shaking in the steering wheel is gone.

ps - You can save a little over a hundred bucks by buying two tires are Costco
  • wperlawperla Member Posts: 3
    New 2005 Santa Fe -- Accelerates slowly (acceptable) and then takes off very quickly. Had it to dealer after only 3 days and they say there are no service bullitins about this condition and that it is "normal" for the 3.5L throttle by wire engine. They did have a tech drive it and he verified the condition as common on this engine and that we would just get used to this condition over time. Anyone else experienced this problem? It does not seem dangerous but is annoying and once you know this sudden acceleration is there, you do compensate; but it just does not seem right. Any ideas??

Bill
  • bb32152bb32152 Member Posts: 9
    I am new also. I just started having battery problems I have a 02 LX Santa Fe 2.7 liter with 93K miles. Have just started having the battery drain down to nothing when the key is on ACC. It seems to charge back up when I drive and then I have no problem. It has drained down 2x in the last week. I am taking it in to the dealer and will post the outcome.
    Thanks. It's nice to know I wasn't imagining this happening or causing it to happen because of something I was doing. It sounds like you've had everything replaced - what a hassle. My car doesn't do the jerk very often, but it sure startles me. It only happens at highway speeds, I've never had it happen after backing up like some of the other posts. Thanks again for the info.
  • kodos7kodos7 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2005 LX with the 3.5 L. I think this is just an idiosyncrasy of the Santa Fe. The gas pedal is fairly soft, rather than firm, so it's easy to press harder than you intend.

Although I am still getting used to it (especially since my previous car was a 1.9 L 4-cyl), I have found that the best way to accelerate is to depress the pedal just a little bit, then freeze. The Santa Fe will continue to accelerate without you needing to press the gas further and further down (until you reach a steady speed of course).

I think this has to do with the electronic throttle trying to make less work for the driver. One thing is for sure - a slight steady pressure will give you far better acceleration and a much smoother take-off than pressing the gas hard from a standstill.
  • pmriggspmriggs Member Posts: 3
    I have an '03 Santa Fe with the same thing that occasionally happens. It acts like I tipped it to gear down and then back up really quick.
    I've noticed that my '03 SF just takes a while for the auto transmission to decide to engage. It doesn't race like the mechanics are having trouble or anything. It just waits to perform the task like it's thinking about it for a moment. I think the controller processor chips is slow or the software program that it runs isn't written very well.
    I've had a High pitched wind whine on my '03 Santa Fe. It turned out to be the roof rack bars that go from one side to the other. I just store them in my trunk when not in use now.
    Hyundai updated the TCM program.
    TSB No. 04-40-007 www.hmaservice.com
    For '01-04 2.7L Santa Fe(produced through Nov. 24, 2003) w/ automatic transmission
  • davidkeith37davidkeith37 Member Posts: 30
    Passenger in back had to point out the noise to me, I am an old artillery man so those sounds are way below my threashold of hearing. I live 15 miles down a gravel road and there is a nasty little rock trap just infront of the outboard disk brake assemby in the rear. It has happend twice now as I now have two polished rings around the hub . Look through the spokes of the wheel to the top of the disk brake pad to see if any small rocks are, or have been, there. Hope this is clear.
  • danielsbabedanielsbabe Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone, I'm a Newbie with a problem :)

Up until the last month or so I have LOVED my Santa Fe. But recently the vehicle (90,000kms) started acting up, sluggish when I hit 40kms and some stalling. Then the engine light came on and I took it to my mechanic (not the dealership). The diagnostic thingy said it was the cam sensor and he replaced it. A week later I'm getting the same problems with the added bonus of bucking violently and now it can be sluggish at any speed and the stalling is way more frequent. Now my mechanic thinks it's the cam that is screwed and that I should replace it. From what I understand it's a lot of money.

Is anyone else having these kinds of problems?

Oh yeah and I don't have the 100,000 warranty, mine came with only 60,000 kms.

My interim solution at this point is to put the key in Auxilary position, go into the fuse thing and remove the EC fuse. This resets my check engine light and the vehicle seems to respond better for a time then it starts acting up again.

Help!!! I love my Santa Fe and my husband wants me to get rid of it ASAP!!!!
    No, it's not the "cam"...cam refers to the protruding metal part of camshaft and there's more than one cam on a camshaft.
    What you need to do first is... TO STOP DRIVING THE CAR. Have it towed to a nearby Hyundai dealer.
    The most likely cause is failing timing belt tensioner. Also you might want to get your money back from your mechanic. It is very obvious to me that he is not competent enough to service your SF and even sounds somewhat shady... :(
  • wperlawperla Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info! But I did call Hyundai America and reported the problem. And you are correct, you do learn how to compensate, but what about winter driving -- sure hope that traction control works cause that annoying jump could be a problem. Thanks again.

Bill
  • ltd1837ltd1837 Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: I'm not sure what the 2.4 thing is...but I have a 2004 6 cyl 4WD that I bought about 1 month ago...it drives and runs great...I love the car...I have noticed tho that when I stop or am sitting in traffic the car jumps...the first time I thought someone had hit me in the rear end.....my service guy at the dearlership tells me there is nothing wrong with it...I KNOW that I'm not crazy :confuse:
  • ltd1837ltd1837 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 6 cyl 4WD that I bought about 1 month ago...it drives and runs great...I love the car...I have noticed tho that when I stop or am sitting in traffic the car jumps...the first time I thought someone had hit me in the rear end.....my service guy at the dearlership tells me there is nothing wrong with it...I KNOW that I'm not crazy ... any suggestions??????
  • danielsbabedanielsbabe Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question.

I'm going to tell my husband what you said and take it to another mechanic.

One other thing, I stopped turning on the air conditioner (when the truck would get sluggish and feel like it was going to stall the air would go really low) last night and didn't have any problems on the way home. Same thing this morning. I'm going out at lunch and see how it runs.

Does that make any sense to you?
  • davidkeith37davidkeith37 Member Posts: 30
    I have a 2004 2.4 L 5speed Santa Fe. It is slightly overweight and underpowered but the gas mileage can not be faulted even at 85 to 90 mph that the left lane tends to run on I 10 in Southern AZ. Does anyone know where I might find and print out the hp/torque curve for this engine? Running on the level 2000 rpm will maintain headway but with any sort of incline 3500 seems to be needed to gain any speed. The graph would be a help in driving either for power or economy, whatever is called for.
  • avtcmavtcm Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I'm a newbie that can't figure out how to change a Fog Light bulb in my 2004 Sante fe. I can't see paying the dealer the price of labor to change a .25 bulb but can't figure out how to access the burnt out bulb.

If anyone can help with a hint as to how to get to the bulb, I'd appreciate it.
    So here we are 15 days later and our Santa Fe is still at the Hyundai dealer. They had to order all new valve train parts. They are rebuilding the heads. Why they didn't just put new ones on I have now idea. I'll keep you updated.
  • falmarfalmar Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a 2004 with 10,000 miles on it. This past week as I was pulling out of space I noticed a hesitation or slight "bucking" feel. It has happened at least 3 times in the week that I have owned it. Any ideas or suggestions?
    Phil