Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...I've been told that Bruno the Bouncer has been hired to help monitor the N&V chat tonight. So, everyone try to be on your best behavior. :-)

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Karen and Bonne buds:

I have wanted to do a chat time with some of the other participants in this and other forums but probably won't be home in time tonight from meetings to enter into the ring. I'd love to in the future though - anyone else interested in the chat venue?

Ken
  • pipes3kpipes3k Member Posts: 5
    Sorry it's been so long, I live in western Wisconsin. My 1998 SLE is white, with 5 spoke alunimum wheels. It has most of the options except moon roof and traction control. I love this car !! I wish I had the supercharger. I really enjoy reading about the mods. that people have been doing.

Later
    There must be at least 30 Bonneville owners that have not been heard from lately - some used to post regularly, a few spoke up just to say Hi.

Where are you guys? Come on in and speak up!

Ken
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    Took my car in to the dealer today and got the steering changed to the firm setting and the message on the DIC changed. I really like the steering setting so far although I haven't really driven it too much. Wonder why the owner's manual doesn't mention that it can be changed. Even the service manager had to look it up to see whether or not it could be changed because he hadn't heard about it.
    People with engineering backgrounds are stereotyped as not being too creative and I'd have to say that based on the best I could come up with on the DIC, I fall in the not too creative category. "Driver 1" was changed to "Mark" and "Driver 2" was changed to "Cindy". Clever, huh?
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    could've had it programed to say Kirkwood rules. It is kind of orange and black though! Private joke eh?
    Better yet, the first line should have read "Statesmen" and the second line would have been "Pioneers". Statesmen over Pioneers, get it? Amazing, 37 years(for me) after graduating, we're still doing stuff like this.
  • h101h101 Member Posts: 62
    Just got back from a tour of the AirForce Museum in Dayton, Crawford Auto Musuem in Cleveland and the Gillmore Classic Car Club of America Museum near Kalamazoo (and then back to Madison, WI). The SSEi behaved well. Saw lots of 2000/2001 Bonnies on the road.

See ya all
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    I'm still at Kirkwood high and hanging around at velvet freeze. I was in Kirkwood today for the 1st time this year. Went to the hobby shop for supplies and saw a model of a 70 rs camaro split bumper... very nice. It's like going back in time. Crusing down Kirkwood Rd, me, my SSEi, and my persistent rattle in the passenger door. Right behind the armrest. These are a new design door panel, thats why no one knows how to remove them and the dealer can't fix them. Got a new one on order after 6 times taking it off, adjusting it, and adding a blanket of insulation.
    Bill - Sounds like you had a great tour there - how many miles did you rack up? What kinds of cars are in the Cleveland museum? I'm contemplating a ride that way sometime.

Thanks for sharing

Ken
    We (two other retired guys and I) let our wives stay home and take care of the pooches whilst we logged some 1,400 miles on the SSEi.

The Crawford Auto Museum- (web site is http://www.wrhs.org/sites/auto.htm) has about 200 cars. Mostly older, say 1900-1930, but some more recent. It is actually a nice collection, but poorly displayed. We made a similar trip (1,200 miles in the SSEi) last year and hit five auto museums. Add to that a couple of single trips, I've hit a bunch of museums since retiring two years ago.

Let me rank 'em, for ya:

1- The National Corvette Musuem and the Corvette Assembly Plant, Bowling Green, KY. The museum is great, but the assembly plant tour is spectacular. Twice a day, 9 am and 1 pm Mon-Fri. Of course, I'm biased 'cuz I took delivery of my Vette at the Museum ($500 extra, in addition to the normal dealer's shipping/prep, to go get it there... geeesh, but worth every penny).

2- The Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, IN. About 120 cars, painstakingly restored, and displayed in an unbelievable setting. Exceeded my wildest expectations.

3- The Gillmore/ Classic Car Club of America Museum north of Kalamazoo, MI. About 120 wonderful old cars, wonderfully displayed in restored barns.

4- The Walter Chrysler Museum in Auburn Hills, MI (near Detroit). Of course it is Chrysler-ville, but very well done. The 300's, Fury's and Cuda's are to be expected, but it was a bit of a surprise to find Hudsons ('cuz they bought American Motors). Very nice museum spanning the very old to the very new.

5- The Henry Ford Musuem at Greenfield Village, Dearborn, MI. By far the largest collection, in OK shape, but the display was poorly lit and somewhat crowded. I should add that the museum has all kinds of cars and many other good displays.

6- The National Studebaker Museum in South Bend, IN. A very pleasant surprise... it would jave even been better if I liked Studebakers :) However, My dad always had Packards and I learned how to drive on Packards... and there were Packards at the Studebaker National Museum including the 1956 Predictor... the concept car of my dreams when I was 20... and I had never seen it in real life. Needless to say, I was in seventh heaven.

7- Hartford Auto Museum, Hartford, WI. A very nice museum. Maybe a hundred older cars in reasonable shape, well displayed.

8- Crawford Museum, Cleveland... already reported above.

9- Last, the Alfred Sloan Museum, Flint, MI. I thought this would be a great stop. After all, Sloan is the father of GM. However, my assessment is a bunch of old, poorly restored Buicks crowded into an old garage.

Not ranked, but I have to mention, the National Air Force Museum in Dayton. Even if you don't like airplanes, this one will take your breath away. It is free, and it is big.... really big.

Ramble, ramble, ramble....

Bill
    In the last post... the last paren should not be in the web address for the Crawford...
    It's odd how the people who have reported squeaks and rattles have said the dealers are having a hard time fixing them. Yet, appartently most of us, me included, have yet to hear the first peep out of our cars. I can only speak for my own car but it is totally solid when it comes to squeaks and rattles. I often drive with my left hand resting at the top of the window and you can feel some flexing between the window and the door frame but at least in my car, it has never caused a problem.
    One of my life's ambitions is to get to that Auburn Cord Duesenburg Museum someday. I have a sister in law out in the Louisville area so maybe a trip out there sometime - hmmmmm.

Thanks again - sounds like my kind of trip!

Ken
  • bdreggorsbdreggors Member Posts: 143
    I can also testify that the USAF Museum is a GREAT stopover. I went up there in the summer of '99 with my Regal. My most beloved exhibit is probably the Convair B-36. Of course, the P-38 Lightning is up there too...after all it was SUPERCHARGED!
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    Bill, that's a great list! I really want to visit Bowling Green someday; glad to hear it is so good. Henry Ford Museum is one of my favorites - I've been there six or seven times and spent the entire day wandering around the museum. They recently did some renovations and added an IMAX theatre. I like it because it has cars and trains and all sorts of inventions on display. The Greenfield Village is also nice. Across the street Ford opened their own museum. It's small but there are a few interesting technology displays and a couple of exotic prototypes (including a Jaguar and Aston).

Another good museum I visited many years ago is the Blackhawk Automotive Museum in Danville, Calif. Not on the Mid-West circuit, but worth visiting if you ever get out to the Bay Area. http://www.blackhawkauto.org/

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Is anyone out nearing the end of your lease, or maybe even not that close to the end, but are already getting offers to buy the vehicle from the lessor? It doesn't matter if you plan to take the offer or not. Does this describe your situation? If so, please post your story in our discussion Talk to the Press, or respond directly to Jeannine Fallon, our PR Director at Edmunds jfallon@Edmunds.com. As always, your identity will be protected at your request.

Thanks much!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • skyhawk3skyhawk3 Member Posts: 42
    Don Garlitts Drag Racing Museum in Ocala Florida is well worth the time. Besides a wide variety of well know drag racing cars,dragsters, etc, there are exhibits of antiques vehicles, and engines. Several of the street rods are still used on a regular basis by Garlitts to attend "cruiser nights" in the local area.
    Last year I had an opportunity to get a special tour of the Chrysler plant in Belvidere, IL where the Neon is assembled. They turn out about 1,200 cars a day and the place is REALLY automated. What a comparison to the Corvette line (I've only seen it four or five times in the past three years... (big grin)) where they turn out 140 cars on a good day.

The comparison is stunning. The Vette is a traditional frame, front engine (rear transmission... well maybe not so traditional), rear wheel drive while the Neon is about as far away from that as you can get. The Vette body is put together piece by piece by humans with lots of mechanical help. The Neon is put together mainly by big spark showering robots with human assistance where needed. The Vette's chassis is a hydroformed frame built around a massive engne and drive train. The Neon's engine line has this small engine with the front wheels hanging off it, and a steering wheel and a muffler attached.... which kind of join the main car at the last minute.

Both places are wonders of engineering and process. The Vette plant loves tours with two big groups a day. The Neon plant, no options for tours and you really have to work at it to get in.

Which brings me to the point... if someone can get us into a Bonnie plant... I'll be there :)
  • sgt_martysgt_marty Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 95 Bonneville SE and have been going over the rollout sheet. Code Z02B is listed as keyless entry. Could this mean that the keychain transmitter got lost but the rest of the system is in the car? Second ly, is the Twilight system standard on the SE? Thanks Marty
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    I don't recall seeing it listed anywhere as an option for '95 - on any of the Bonneville models. So, it was either standard or not available on your '95 SE.

Are you saying that you've checked it out and the lights don't come on automatically in the dark?
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    I have the '94 information which may be the same as '95. Keyless entry was an option on the SE. Twilight Sentinel was also available but only as part of option group 1SD. I also know that in '97 the Twilight Sentinel was standard. Hope this helps. Good luck with your car.
    Stephen
  • sgt_martysgt_marty Member Posts: 6
    The roll-out sheet lists 1SB Option Package #02 only so there is probably niether keyless entry or Twilight Sentinel. Any way I like the ride and the 3.8 which my Olds Cutlas S didn't have.
    Thanks guys. Marty
    Gotta love that series II 3.8 - - - Happy motoring!
    Welcome to the club!!!

In regards to twilight sentinel - my friend's 93 SE has it - he thought it was std on all Bonnevilles. Seems like one of those features that was std one year and included in an optin package for other years. Thankfully GM has included this great feature in most of the mid to full sized cars today. I've had it for years in Caddies and Grand Marquis and wouldn't want a car without it.

BTW - I have a 2000 SE model in spruce Green that has been a rea joy to drive these last 5 months.

For all you Rockaway get-together guys - I drove past on Rt 80 Sunday evening and enjoyed the fond remembrances from last month. Let's do it again someday.

Best to all from here in the Keystone State - anyone have any idea why they call it that? I'll be heading home to Maine tomorrow and counting Bonnevilles all the way. I only saw 5 heading down here sunday - think I missed a lot due to sun in my eyes - BTW - have any of you noticed that when driving straight into the sun - the huge dash has a terrible glare? It doesn't help that I had shined it up to a glossy look for Rockaway.

Take care, everyone

Ken
  • xena16xena16 Member Posts: 10
    Hi guys! Long time no write...Hope everyone's well. I've been keeping up with you guys for the most part...not much time and not much to say...until now.

A little excitement on the ride into work this morning...local radio station calls my name...I have 93 minutes to call back, so I figure I'll wait until I get to work. Didn't want to chance getting excited on the cell phone while driving my precious Bonne when I won that really great prize. Didn't matter...right name, wrong girl...tried to bribe the D.J....but, Nooooo. I ask you, how many Xena's could there possibly be? :-)

Anywho, my inane fact of the day is for you, Ken...a "Keystone" is the wedge-shaped stone in the center of an arch that supports the rest of the stones in that arch. For whatever reason, someone commented back in the day (early 1800's) that Pennsylvania was the "Keystone" of the country and apparently, it stuck.

And to be honest, I didn't know this because I was born and raised in Philly or I actually remember that school lesson...my fourth-grade daughter had Pennsylvania History in Social Studies and I just happened to quiz her for an upcoming test about a month ago.

BTW, Marty...Welcome and I have a "96 SE that has optional keyless entry. I also have the Twilight Sentinel, but I'm not sure if it was standard or not. If you really care, let me know and I'll look it up in my manual. Also, if you need to know anything about Pennsylvania...I'm your girl! (hee hee)

Well, gotta go...have a day!

Xena
    for more "Inane" questions to ask "my Pennsylvania girl"!!

Thanks for the explanation - makes sense geographically and I wondered if that was perhaps the answer.

Xena - yes it certainly is hard to believe you have a namesake out there! By the way - the radio give-away - it didn't happen to be one of those Hawaii vacations that the local jazz station has been handing out for the last year or so did it? I wish some station up here in Boston would get that idea!

Here's hoping the next Xena to be called is you!

Ken
  • xena16xena16 Member Posts: 10
    my real name is NOT Xena...O.K., I know you're shocked, but if I told you my real name, you would understand. Ready? And this is the truth...Kathy Lee. Now, can you begin to imagine how many "Regis" jokes I get? It's just not right, even the D.J. had something to say. Do I spell my name with the god-forsaken "ie"? No! I'm Kathy with a "y", dammit!

The name "Xena" comes from friends who joked and now wish they hadn't. I still visit them in the hospital. :-)

Anyway, Ken, no Hawaii trips...the station (93.3) has 93 envelopes and you pick one when you call in (I would've picked 16). The grand prize in one of the envelopes right now is $30,000, the rest are basically concert tickets, complete CD libraries of various artists, DVD players, walk-mans, other cash prizes...stuff like that.

A few months back, the grand prize was a brand-new Harley, before that, a VW Beetle, I think (which I would have traded for a Bonne). Anyhow, I've decided that Envelope 16 is probably something I already have or don't need...right? Who needs $30,000? Not Kathy Lee! Or Xena!

O.K., I'm outta here...and my name is

Xena
    That's quite an interesting story! Although with $30K you could almost buy a brand-new Bonnie to complement your '96. Oh well...

Speaking of radio gimmicks, there is a pop station down in Tampa that is notorious for doing way off-the-wall stunts, like a 'Yugo drop' and running a Camaro into a wall with a blind guy behind the wheel (don't ask). Oddly enough, the station is 93.3 FLZ.

And having the name Kathy Lee isn't that bad-unless you husband's name is Frank...;-)

Regards,
    Brian

BTW: I was born in Reading, PA.
    I've noticed that there are quite a few web sites out there devoted to the Grand Prix, Impala, Alero, etc., but no one seems to have set up anything specifically for our H-bodied LeSabres and Bonnevilles. So I thought it would be fun to give it a try, even though I 1) don't have any unique content - yet, and 2) am not into the performance mods. But I have a lot of specs and other info so I whipped up a little experiment. I just uploaded it so you can be the first to check it out. It's pretty plain jane but this isn't a flair contest. Let me know what you think (constructive criticism only, please) but keep in mind this is a work in progress (and I'm not sure what I'm doing!). And if anyone has anything to contribute to it, please let me know that too. Thanks, and enjoy!

http://h_body.home.att.net/index.htm

Looking good & already bookmarked. I have a ton of info and site bookmarks - I'll send you an e-mail over the next couple of days and you can decide if you want to use any of it.

You might want to consider linking to Aurora and Seville STS sites as well - after all, these are also H body brethren.

Nice initiative. Keep it going!

Dan
    Excellent job. It's obvious you put a lot of thought and time into the project. Please let us know through this forum when you update it so that we'll know when you've made additions or changes.
    Thanks! Stephen
    Michael - OUTSTANDING!

Super start to what promises to be a great site. I'll be sure to check back occasionally.

Ken
    Thanks for the encouragement. Actually, even though I have been thinking about this on and off for awhile, I really only put my mind to it yesterday. Just goes to show that anyone can put up a Web site!

I've added a few more elements to it today and will probably dicker with it some more over the weekend. I think I will also wander over to the LeSabre board and invite them to check it out - the poor Buick appears neglected, I need more stuff for it.
    Michael,
    Great start! I think most of us has had the thought of an H-Body website cross out mind, but we either don't have the a) time b) expertise c) space or all of the above.

It would be a good idea to have a few links to other H-Body pages. I know of one Aurora page which is quite comprehensive. I'll dig up the URL on my huge file o' bookmarks and e-mail it to you, if you don't mind.

Keep up the good work!
  • boosted1boosted1 Member Posts: 90
    Michael

Great job on the web site!!!

I think the tips, tricks and miscellaneous section is a good idea. Maybe some of the usefull content from this forum can be stored in that section for quick reference.
  • rb8225rb8225 Member Posts: 33
    Michael-

Very nice! One day's work you say? I can't wait to see what you end up with after everyone sends you their info, links, etc.

What kind of software do you write? Embedded systems, PC apps, ? Maybe you should head up here to Detroit & do some programming on the cars. Lots of cool things coming in the next couple of years.
    Hey, nice web site.

Just curious, do you know where the Park Avenue fits into the A, B, C's of GM platforms?

Bill
    Looking forward to the input. Yes, I think with contributions the site could be pretty nice. Send 'em down, and let's see what we can do! One of my inspriations was an Impala site by a guy in Honolulu, Nathan I think his name is. One of the best parts of his site is the "how-to" section with photo documentation. I laughed at the procedure to change the cabin air filter, it requires taking the car apart practically.
    Bill - I think the Park Avenue is a "C" also built at Lake Orion, the home of the Bonnie. I can't think of any other GM cars on that platform. Seems to me that the C-body has always been the land barge class, used to be the full-size rear drivers. Fond memories of an '89 Buick Estate Wagon I used to drive - now that was a big car! Named it "Starship Enterprise." I sat in a new Park Ave at an auto show and it is really comfy, and it can be had with the supercharged 3800. And, personally I think hood ornaments are a lost art. ;-)
    I write process control software - PLCs mostly. I bought the service manual for the Bonnie so I could see how all of the whiz-bang techno works - I'm just that much of a geek. ;-) And I'm using a very cool IBM ThinkPad A21p I have for work to build the website; I don't think I would even try with the old Compaq I have at home.
    Michael: I couldn't locate your email address so I thought I'd get you started with these links by posting them here.

Technical:Technical specifications: media.gm.com Stabilitrak: Cadillac Stabilitrak linkRecalls (2000): Alldata Technical Service Bulletins: Alldata TSB's

Safety: NHTSA crash test results: NHTSA - BonnevilleIIHS rating: IIHS - Bonneville

Reviews:USA Today automobilereviews.comautowire.net Car & DriverMotor TrendNashville SceneBonneville vs. 300M Carpoint's Consumer ReviewsAcorn Online

Miscellaneous:A gorgeous '58 BonnevilleThe official Bonneville pagePontiac Bonneville Owners' Club (some neat links here)Bonneville Car Club of AmericaWidetrackwarriors (a Florida Pontiac Club) - tons of Pontiac links Aftermarket wooden/carbon fiber dashes Modified Bonnie's landspeed record attempt

Whew! That's it for now Michael - use them at your own risk!

Thanks for providing them. I especially liked the '58 Bonnie.
    Stephen
    Just because I've been too busy to post much recently (besides, now that I'm used to the car, I'm a little out of the "discovery" stage), it doesn't mean that I'm not still totally enamoured of this vehicle.

I have a few more links and I'll post a sequel one of these fine days - once I have a good 15-20 minutes to spare.

BTW, I liked the '58 page too - what a looker!
    Man that 58 is some beauty! And triple carbs! They certainly didn't spare the chrome back then and those bumpers must have weighed a ton. I noticed the similarity to the 58 Impala and see the two shared the pretty much the same body - 2 great looking cars in 58!

It's nice to own a car that has a heritage - can't say that for many cars anymore. It sure would be nice to go visit the Pontiac plant and museum sometime - bet they have some great cars there.

Take care all.

Ken
    Just as the name of this forum suggests - tonight at my house. He's bringing me the anti sway bar for my SE - off his SSEi. Can't wait to get home tonight and meet him. Too bad he's driving his old Dodge Caravan rather than his Bonneville - but still - we'll have a lot to discuss for sure. Going to print out a copy of my Bonneville Forum spreadsheet for him. If anyone else wants it - please give me an email shout and I'll be glad to send it

Ken
    Mark came over for dinner last night and we had a great time talking cars and camps. We crawled under my Bonneville and found the holes for attachment of the stabilizer bar so it doesn't look too difficult to attach. Going to have to see if the local garage guy will put it up on his lift to install.

We took a drive around the harbor and historic areas (I enjoy playing tour guide occasionally - we live in a beautiful area) in my Bonneville - naturally - and just enjoyed a nice evening.

After meeting with 3 Bonneville and 2 Aurora owners now - it is apparent the drivers of these cars are definitely a cut above average!!

Have a great day everyone.

Ken
  • davidchivodavidchivo Member Posts: 4
    Life was going to be tough after my '94 V8 T-Bird, I thought to myself. The car's continuing stream of problems culminated with transmission slippage, and my wife started talking up the virtues of a minivan (we have 1 year old). I convinced her that a sedan would suit us better and told her that Pontiac makes an excellent and reliable full sized car. In November 2000, I unloaded the T-Bird and came home with a brand new Bonny. Its lightly loaded (aluminum wheels, spoiler, no leather or roof), but for $21K (and $5K trade in for the crappy Bird), who could complain. My wife was shocked at how "sporty" and "aggressive" the car looked...I was grinning from ear to ear.

7 months later (with only 4K on the odometer), I continue to be extremely happy with the car. Nary a problem to speak of.

I was interested to learn from TPKen that there are indeed, mounting holes for installing a rear sway bar. Does any know of aftermarket suppliers that sell performance bars? Addco did not list any on its site.

Also, I would be grateful to learn if anyone sells strut tower braces for the Bonny. I love crisp handling (I do miss the rear drive T-Bird, which I modified to be a real road hugger), and I think that the car could use additional stiffness upfront.

Glad to find such a great club. I will keep in touch.
    Welcome to the club David.

Your wife is to be congratulated for marrying someone with such excellent taste!

The Bonneville is a fantastic car - we all agree - and a good family vehicle. What color is yours?

It's great to have you here - we look forward to hearing of your experiences. BTW - where do you live?

Best wishes for many years and miles of Bonnevillian enjoyment.

Ken
  • boosted1boosted1 Member Posts: 90
    Glad to hear you chose the Bonne over a Minivan. We also bought our Bonneville so that we would have plenty of room for the kids etc.
  • ginman3ginman3 Member Posts: 11
    Saner Performance makes stabilizer bars that a number of us have installed on our SSEis. You can e-mail John at Sanerperf.com for more information. Last time I checked, their wedsite was of no help in providing you with any information on the Bonneville so that's why you have to e-mail. I have installed the rear bar on mine and gave Ken my original. At last report, Saner is having trouble producing the front bar possibly since it is such a large diameter. However, I would think that since an SE already has the front bar, the most noticable improvement in handling would come from installing the rear bar that they make. Replacing the front would presumably have a less dramatic effect and just be icing on the cake.
    If you decide to go that route, you might consider asking him to supply the attaching bolts for the bracket that is bolted to the frame on either side. I'm sure they're hardened bolts so it might be safer to have Saner provide them.