Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I've pretty much wanted a Prelude since the 4th gens came out in 1992 (Even the 1990-1991 3rd Gens are nice looking). When the 5ht generation was introduced in 1997 I knew I wanted one. I was so mad when I read the Prelude was being discontinued at the end of 2001 that I gave up all hope of ever owning one. I even ripped up my 2001 Prelude brochure which I had been saving for some odd reason or another.

Since I'm pretty impressed with the Euroness (Well weighted steering, excellent road feel, tightly wound suspension, excellent sheet metal/paint quality...) of my Saab, I figurered I'd go all out and go for a BMW 325Ci, Audi A4 1.8T, Lexus IS300, or Mercedes-Benz C230K Sports Coupe. Of the 3 I decided I was going to order a BMW 325Ci via European Delivery (and tie in a vacation with my girlfriend) with a Stick, Sunroof, Heated Seats, & Sports package. I was gung ho about doing this in the fall when tourism in Europe falls and the car would be delivered to me right around the time the lease is up on my Saab (December). In the middle of April, my practical side kicked in and said "what is the purpose of buying a BMW to basically just have it sit in your parent's dirveway and drive a few times a month." My parents said to me "You only 26 years old and should wait to buy a BMW."

I got my finances together and called a local dealer near my parents' house where I knew I'd have the car serviced. I was in contact with one of the sales managers via email and told him that I was looking for a leftover 2001 Prelude Type SH in either Red, White, or Silver. He called me back a week and a half later and told me he's found some black ones and even a blue car. I told him red, white, or silver and I'll consider a base model if you find one with a stick. Well, all the base models in our region (including the 6 on his lot) were SS. He called me one day as I was about to walk into a Rangers game at the Garden and told me he's located a car for me and needed a deposit. He said since he's doing a swap, the best price he could do for me was invoice. He said if the car had been sitting on his lot that he'd be able to give me a better deal. The Prelude is a lot cheaper than any of the competitors above. The rest is history! I LOVE MY PRELUDE!

I'm not sure what I would have done if the Prelude couldn't be found. The Accord V6 (or Acura CL/TL) wasn't available in a stick. The styling of the RSX Type S didn't appeal to me (at the time). The RX8 is still months away and so is the 350Z for that matter (unless you want to be gouged by the dealer). Neither the Z or the RX is going to have a sunroof (which is a requirement for me).

When the time comes to replace my Prelude down the road, I'd definitely look at the RSX Type S, CL Type S (despite it weight, it does have 260hp), The BMW 325Ci, and maybe the S2000...

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Himiler...what's the Acura TSX? I haven't heard anything about it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    The TSX is the car that will fill the void left by the dearly departed Integra GS-R 4-door. It's essentially a Japanese/Euro Accord with different badges. Per this month's Car & Driver, it carries a 2.4-liter i-VTEC four-banger that makes 190 HP and 163 ft/lbs of torque, mated to a 6-spd manual or 5-spd auto. Figure on Acura bumping the output up to a full 200 HP when it lands here.

The car is 3 inches shorter in wheelbase than the US-spec Accord, but uses the same dual-control-arm front and multilink rear suspensions. (No struts, thank god!) The styling is much sleeker than the US Accord, as well.

It'll basically be a Euro Type-R in Acura Type-S trim for around $25,000.
    Hmmm...Car & Driver hasn't made it to my mailbox yet. I'll be sure to look for it when it comes in.

There's a TSX discussion going in Sedans, but not much substance yet. The car looks pretty slick, for a Honda 4-door.
    Are there TSX pics posted anywhere?

caranddriver.com hasn't updated to show this month's content, but there were some links in the TSX discussion.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Like himiler, from the perspective of a Prelude owner, there's no Honda or Acura that would keep me "in the family" at this point in time. The CL-S isn't as crisp and the RSX-S isn't as refined and purposeful. If I had to replace the Prelude with another coupe, I almost certainly would focus on a 330Ci, and if I couldn't afford that then I'd get a used Prelude. There simply aren't many driver-oriented coupes on the market.
  • cowboy019cowboy019 Member Posts: 17
    Hey y'all... just picked up what has to be one of the last brand new 2001's in existence. What fun, I love this car so far... can't wait 'till the break-in period is over so I can open her up.

Just echoing what I'm hearing on this board, I was in the market for a sporty 2-door, and there was nothing out there that I could drive without

a) looking like a teenager (RSX), or
    b) breaking the bank (BMW 3-series/Mercedes C-coupe, etc.)

Anyway, thank God for the leftover Lude, I don't even mind that it's a 2001. There really is nothing comparable at this price range, especially from Honda/Acura.
    What color/trim did you get? Base model or SE? Stick or SS? What's the build date on your car (check the driver's door)? Congrats! You're going to love it!

black, SE, stick, built Oct/01.

So far it blows my Integra out of the water in just about every department. 2 complaints: stereo sucks and sunroof doesn't open wide enough. Otherwise, it's great.

Funny, nccarguy, when I read your post about how you came to buy the Prelude, I must say that was exactly the thought process I went through. My original plan was to buy a 325.
    SE w/ a stick...very nice! Our cars must have been shipped over on the same boat because the build date on my car is 10/01 as well.

• kenjabikenjabi Member Posts: 76
    I've heard more opinions, both good and bad, about the stereo in the Prelude than just about any other feature. Personally, I like the Prelude's stereo, particularly the bass response. Especially when you consider that: a) it's a stock system, and b) there's no subwoofer.

Also, it's true that it sounds better at higher volume.
    I first added a powered sub to the factory set-up, by was getting some wacky noise that couldn't be filtered. I then upgraded the head unit to a 50Wx4 piece which was too much for the stock speakers (the fronts are only rated for 15W max). So, I upgraded all the speakers (save for the door-mount tweeters), and subsequently had so much more bass and mid-range that I just yanked the sub out of the trunk.

Believe it or not, I actually have better sound now with just the better speakers and the upgraded head unit than I did with the stock speakers, sub, and upgraded head unit.

Unless you're looking for bass that'll make your neighbors want to key your car, or which makes you a candidate for a cochlear implant before 35, just upgrade the speakers and the head unit for less than $500. And you won't even need a heavy, space-eating sub box to be slamming around your trunk during cornering.

Cowboy -- Welcome to an exclusive club! I'm glad to see that you "get" what the Prelude is all about.
    Anyone look at leather interiors, i.e. egclassics.com and the like? They look pretty enough and would add so much to the interior; it's hedonism and a waste of money, to be sure, and the stock seats are fantastic, but a part of me still yearns for the leather interior. Thoughts or experiences?

I'm enjoying the lude and thinking about winter tires. I picked up 3 Type SH rims from a friend whose Prelude was reconstructed after a flipping accident. Three rims got extremely light scratches but are otherwise perfect, and they were replaced with new ones under insurance. He didn't want the spares since he's doing the whole slammed aftermarket thing (ugh) so I got three free near-new Type SH rims. I figure that if I can score a fourth one on the cheap, and a good set of winter tires, I'll be in fine shape.

I'm not up to speed on the latest and greatest in tires, but is there such a thing as release dates for hot, eagerly anticipated upcoming tires? Are there model years and yearly differences or "refreshes" of tires? Weather aside, how do you know when is the best time to buy the right set of winter tires? I just realized that I know zilch about the tire industry.

I really, really want a CD changer in my Prelude. I gotta upgrade the sound. Ugh. I need more money.... :(
    Leather? No thanks.

Cool deal on the SH rims! They're nice-looking, but weigh about 0.5lbs more than the base rims.

Winter tires? Looks like you're planning on going with an OE-size tire on the SH rims. Not to whiz on your parade, but that's kind of a bad idea for a few reasons:

--road salt will eat the finish off aluminum rims, if that matters to you

--a 50-series sidewall gives your wheels very little protection from nasty Winter potholes, placing your SH rims in further jeopardy

--the narrower your tire's width, the better the traction you'll get (the narrower width gives you a smaller contact patch for the tire, which in turn causes the car's weight to produce more downward pressure on the contact patch, giving you greater traction)

--winter tires sized 205/50-16 are pricey, and are generally H- or V- speed-rated, meaning they'll offer less grip in icy conditions

--go to http://tirerack.com to run a search for winter tires in the size you need, and see what your options are

The best time to buy winter tires is as soon as you have the money to do so. Dealers generally ratchet-up the prices $5-10 per tire by the end of October.

I've had nothing but positive experiences with my 195/60-15 Michelin Artic-Alpins mounted on 15" steelies. Same goes for the Tire Rack -- I've been a customer of theirs for nearly 10 years, and continue to be very pleased with their service, selection and prices.

Thanks for the thoughts. I have a SH, so having an opportunity to pick up a few extra SH rims seemed perfect. They're free and I don't mind too much if they experience a little wintertime corrosion, as it's impossible to keep a nice car looking good during Detroit winter anyway. (I've tried.) But you're right, there is a dearth of 205/50/16 winter tires and I do struggle with the prices of some of these. Maybe I can sell 'em... hmm.
    Sphinx99: I've seen leather in various other random Preludes. I think it is a nice touch, but there are better things to spend your money on (there always is). Maybe you can try to pick up some factory leather seats from a wrecked Canadian Prelude SE. Just a thought. Michigan is close enough to Canada isn't it? I think the stock seats in our cars are very comfortable and grip well, so I'm going to leave well enough alone:)

Himiler: You've got a great idea about just replacing the head unit & stock speakers. Some people at Best Buy & Circut City (don't worry, I was just asking, I don't think I'd have work done there) and they told me pretty much the same thing. Leave it to you to know that the stock front speakers pump out a blazing 15Waats max.

Winter Tires: I'm a big fan of them even here in southern NY where we barely get any snow anymore (thank-you global warming). I do think it is a good idea to put winter tires on a car with such low ground clearance (like our Preludes) to help out when it does (plus it gives me a chance to switch to Z rated summer tires when the stockies wear out:)

Sphinx99 I originally had the same idea as you did until I was once again enlightened by you and Himiler. I think I'd be better off switching to a (minus 1?) wheel & tire combination. Michelin Arctic Alpins have gotten high praise from the BMW boards here on TH. I'd also advise on doing research on Brideston Blizzaks. I had these on my 1992 Beretta GT when I was in college in hilly, snowy, Ithaca, NY (winters very Michigan-esq and close to where himiler calls home) during my four years of college and was out on the roads with all the "townies" and their pick-ups and the "spoiled" Long Island kids and their SUVs. The Michelins may be better for regular everyday winter driving and the blizzaks may hold the advantage when trekking through snow and over ice.

Other Hondas: I was tooling around through various car dealerships in near my parents' house. Since this is a Prelude topic, I'll stick with the Hondas I sat in. BTW, mileage is up over 700 now:)

CRV- For around $20K (plus a little for the EX model) this little SUV seems to have lots of room on the inside. Best of all, it is available in a stick.

Civic Si- Interior was comfortable. The rally style shifter is way cool. The gears are spaced so much closer then in the Prelude. Had lots of headroom. I'm not sure I can get past the looks of the headlights though. Something about them I don't like.

S2000- I know know why Sphinx99 bought back his Prelude for utility purposes. Wow that car is small. It did fit my 5'11" 145lb frame very nicely though. It was Yellow/Black. I've got to drive one some day when I have more time:)

You answered one of the questions I'd been wondering, and that is whether 15 inch wheels would fit on a Prelude.

My next question concerns the impact of changing from 16's to 15's for the winter. Do you have to get the speedometer recalibrated, or is it only off by a bit so that it's not a big deal?

In the past few days I have been wondering what took me so long to buy a Prelude... best compliment so far came from a BMW 540 driver who told me what a "beautiful machine" I was driving. Gotta love it!
  • blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    I've been using Arctic Alpins on the stock 16" rims on my 2001 Prelude, and I've had no problem in Boston winters -- moderate amounts of snow and occasional ice. If you have to do a lot of driving on ice, the Blizzaks are better, but they handle poorly on dry roads.
  • mikemo1964mikemo1964 Member Posts: 3
    Just wanted to toss a note out to the group and let you know that I'm the proud owner of a '97 Prelude SH. I was looking for a sporty car, but didn't want to look like a "ricer" (I'm a bit old for that). I drove a bunch of other cars, mostly new "inexpensive" cars, but when I drove the Prelude I fell in love. For a lot less money than a Civic, Sentra SE-R, RSX, Elantra, Neon Rt, etc.

What a great car! Quick, smooth and linear engine. Incredible suspension, and the ATTS is a blast.
    I got the car with only 41k miles on the clock, and it still looks new, inside and out. Aside from the two recalls that were done, the car has not failed once in its life. Kudos to Honda and their quality cars.
    I personally like the stereo in the car. It doesn't attain ear-spliting volumes but the bass is nice and tight and the highs sound clean.
    Anyway, I'll stop rambling. I just keep smiling every time I drive it.
    I forgot on the last post, the car came with all new Michelin Pilot SX tires. They seem to grip the road well, but I haven't had the car out in a heavy rain yet (no snow here in FLA). They are fairly quiet too. I'm not looking forward to replacing them at $159 each. Ouch!
    Congrats and welcome to the family!

A few have had issues but by and large, I have yet to see any other car model generate the love-in-an-instant reaction that the Prelude seems to. The car seems as though it was designed for professional drivers.

I spilled a little superglue on the passenger side seat and now it's formed a little white spot in one of the corners. Eek! It doesn't look like it's going to detach from the fabric and I'm not sure how to handle the situation.
    cowboy019 -- If you do a "minus 1" tire swap for winter tires, just make sure to find a tire in 195/60-15 size. The extra sidewall height compensates for the descrease in wheel diameter, resulting a minimal speedo difference (~2%) and no problem with the ABS system's operation.

mikemo1964 -- When it comes time to replace those Pilot SX tires, look no further than the Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position. It's an amazing max-performance tire in both the wet and dry, and can be had for $127 each from http://tirerack.com in our OE size. I've been running a set since springtime, and they handle beyond belief and wear very well. They're also pretty quiet.

sphinx -- try some acetone on your glue spill. Also, call the "comments/questions?" number on the back of the glue bottle, if there is one. The person who answers the phone might know the trick.

So, how many people have the "5th gear grind" problem. It is kind of freaking me out, but in a week of driving I haven't felt it on my '97 SH. Does anyone have a copy of the TSB?
    Thanks!!!
    Although I haven't heard a grind (yet), I have noticed that getting the stick over to 5th or reverse requires a bit of force relative to the other gates. Is this a symptom of a future problem?

I've heard of the "issues" surrounding the Prelude's shifter, but so far, other than the fact that 5th is a little stiff, it's "like buttah."
    Many (but not all) of the folks who experience grinding/synchro failures tend to be fairly rough on the tranny, have done some significant power upgrades to their cars, or both.

I've put 68,000 *ahem* spirited miles on my '01 since 10/15/01, and have no grinding troubles. On occaision, the shifter is reluctant to go into reverse (usually when cold), which is easily remedied by holding the clutch down, shifting into 4th, then up to 3rd, then back to reverse.

When it was really cold last winter (below 20 degrees F), I would consistently get a bit of a "grabby" feeling on the 1-2 shift until the car warmed up, but never a grind.

Never try to force the gearshift lever into a gear -- you'll bend your shift forks and cause yourself some major grief. If the shifts are sticky when the tranny's cold, just use a gentle touch and be patient until eveything's up to operating temp.

Also, be sure to depress the clutch pedal all the way to the floorboard when shifting. (I know, I know, but you'd be amazed at how many people don't!)

If actually moving the shift lever over to the 5th-reverse gear plane requires more effort than moving it back to the 1-2 plane, you might need to have the linkage return spring checked.

But, if you're not hearing any grinding on a Prelude with more than 10,000 miles on it, you're not likely to ever hear it. Any synchro alignment/wear problems usually manifest themselves rather quickly, particularly after bolting on a forced-induction mod.
    Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the board!

• celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    Hi everyone, I just bought a 92 Prelude S. It has 130,000 miles and is in a good shape. AC is still cold. I want to know what do I need to notic? Except the timing belt, what else need to replace? I also want to get some data from you guys. What many sec from 0 to 60 and 60 to 0? Dose anyone install turbo on it?

celica
    There are lots of preventative-maintenance things you could do to the car, but they can add up to some decent $$ quickly.

Auto or manual tranny? Either way, if you didn't get service records from the previous owner, assume the tranny needs a flush and fill. Same for the cooling system and and brakes. Change the water pump when you swap the timing belt, and the spark plugs, plug wires and distributor, too.

Since it's the S model, it had 135hp when new in a fairly heavy car (~2700 lbs.). Allowing for compression losses over 10 years/130K miles, it will suffice to say that you should be more concerned about braking and handling than 0-60 times.

Ahh, yes -- a turbo. I think you'd have better luck and better reliability (for less $$) if you could find a donor H22A from a wrecked VTEC Prelude to bolt in. I've never seen a turbo kit for the base engine, but I suppose one could be available. That said, even if you could find a kit, you'd have to put some big $$ into your engine just to keep the mechanicals from being destroyed by the additional stress from the turbo.

The turbo idea sounds fun, but not very attainable. If you just want to go fast for a little while, get a bolt-in ZEX or NOS set-up, and plan on replacing the motor soon.
    It is manual. I think you are right. It is better to spend money on braking and handling. I hope the car will not bring me any major problem.
    http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/09/13/alligator.alley/index.html

Cut and paste (since I don't know how to create a link) the above url. One of the 2 cars pulled over for questioning in a plot to somehow bomb somewhere in South Florida is definitely a 5th generation Prelude.

Good thing the trunk's so small -- not much room for explosives!
    Have anyone installed the AEM pulley and cam gear? Is it worth to get one of those? I found it from JC Whitnet for $98.00 each.
    You can't get a good pulley set or cam gears from JC Whitney. Try the following dealers:

http://coximport.com

http://lightningmotorsport.com

http://kingmotorsports.com

I've had dealings with all three, and they're straight shooters.

Cam gears aren't much good unless you buy custom-ground cams too. Cam gears are fairly inexpensive, but new, high-lift cams are not (~$700, and don't forget the stronger valve springs you'll need).

Pulleys are a cheap way to get power, but you may experience your lights dimming when idling. Avoid getting a main crank pulley -- they tend to wreck crankshaft bearings.

• linardlinard Member Posts: 59
    I accidentally put in these H1 headlights that had some grease on them, anyway, when I turned on the headlights, they smoked and slightly stained both units. What I was wondering is can I take apart the units and clean them or do I have to get new ones. No one would notice except for me but I'm anal and just wanted to know. In case I do have to get new headlight units, how much do they run?
    Bummer. I'm fairly sure that they are sealed units (to keep moisture from entering), and cannot be pulled apart.

Here are the part #s and list prices for new ones:
    Left -- 33151-s30-a02 $282.63
    Right -- 33101-s30-a01 $282.63

You might be able to get the parts for less online, if you shop around with the part #s.

Good luck
    bummer man. definitely shop around online.

• linardlinard Member Posts: 59
    Yeah, total bummer. I keep looking at the headlights to see if they're bad (which they're not) but since it's my car and I'm anal, it's hard for me to deal with them. Anyway, thanks for the info guys... And btw, I priced a keyless entry system, no alarm, for 99 bucks installed. I'm not sure why the previous owner replaced the OEM system with an aftermarket one, but when I got the car, it wasn't working, so I had it removed. Do you guys think that's a good price?
    If you want keyless entry, that sounds like a good price.

Before I bought my Prelude, I would've said "No way! Put the money towards mods!" But, now I use the KE all the time, and would pay $100 to have it replaced.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I just replaced my stock RE92s with SO-3 Pole Positions, and I have to say that these are amazing tires. The cornering limits are so much higher than before, it's like owning a new car. I took my Prelude through some tight corners, at speeds where it always starts to slide on the RE92s, and the car handled like it was on rails. I haven't even come close to finding the limits of these tires.

Acceleration from a standing start is equally impressive. With the RE92s, dropping the clutch at 4000 RPM always resulted in chirping and wheel hop. With the SO-3s, the result is strong, smooth acceleration.

I had very high expectations for the SO-3s, and these tires have exceeded those expectations in every way...
    Two thumbsup on the S-03's! They really let the Prelude do what it was designed for -- corner like a roller coaster. I still can't get over the quiet, comfortable ride they provide on the highway.

I've got almost 30K on mine, and they're wearing like iron. Just be sure to rotate 'em with every oil change, and you'll have no trouble getting your money's worth.
    You guys are making me jealous. I wish I knew what to do with these stock tires. I don't want to junk them when they're still relatively new; on the other hand, I have a feeling that it'll be a solid two years before they're in need of replacement. Hmmm....
    Do what I did: practice your FWD drifting and throttle-steering techniques. ;)
    I only put about 7000 miles on the RE92s, but I asked myself this: Would I rather waste the remaining tread on the RE92s, or the next two years of my life driving my Prelude at only half of its potential?

It was an easy decision...
    The RE92s will get me through this winter (yes, it's a horrifying thought, but it can be done) at which point (unfortunately) I think I'll get better tires. Eek!
    That's 2 positive reviews on the S-03s. I think I know what I will replace the RE92s with (If that time ever comes:). I've only got 2 months left on the lease of my Saab and there's a possible career change that would involve me driving (my Prelude) to work every day instead of taking the subway!

Sphinx: Don't feel bad, I'm going to go through the winter with the stockies also. I'm sure it will take me at least 2 years to replace them. Having a Summer/Winter setup again will be cool. From the way my Murphy's law of a life usually goes: I've got a performance oriented vehicle (one not known for winter driving anyway as opposed to my current Saab and the 1998 Ford Explorer Sport it replaced), I may take a job that requires me to drive to work everyday (instead of the subway for the last 4+ years), and I don't plan on getting winter tires (15" Michelin Arctic Alpins right Himiler) for at least another year, we're due for one nasty winter here in NYC:)

Blacktalon: You make an excellent point, I just don't have the funds right now for new tires. Thanks for the great review on the S-03s.

Exactly for me as well. It's a matter of funds, and opportunity cost. I'd love the traction, but $500 would go a long way towards improved sound too. And, I also want to take a vacation to New Zealand next summer and beach-with-girlfriend is currently ahead of traction-on-curves in the Summer Money Sweepstakes.
    I can certainly understand that. This is my major car-related purchase for the year. I'm not planning to buy a new car for a few years, so the SO-3s should keep me satisfied until then...