Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• Options
    hurler4hurler4 Member Posts: 104
    I know this has been discussed before, but has anyone else tried to paint or color the chrome rings to keep them from glaring in the sun? If so, what color did you use, and did you use paint, markers, etc.?

For those who have already painted/colored the rings, how is it holding up?
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    I did and it works great. I used Walmart's Color Place spray paint (Silver #21018). It dried in minutes, and was on my dash minutes after that. As stated before, pull the black dash face panel straight out towards you. I will come off with a good tug. There is nothing to break or snap. Once off, take a screw driver and GENTLY pry the ring plate plastic tabs on the back side; you simply have to pry them a slight bit until you loosen all of them. The ring will then pull off the front of the black panel. Spray paint the rings, and insert it back on, placing all the tabs back into the black panel. Then take the black panel and press it back onto your dash, ensuring you place the odometer knob through the hole in the black panel before pressing too hard. It snaps right back into place. You can take that black panel off again and again to clean the plastic covers over the speedometer/tacometer
  • Options
    Sounds great! You don't have any pictures of the dash with the painted chrome rings, do you?
  • Options
    he, he, he...I barely have indoor plumbing. I will say that the paint came out a tiny bit lighter than the silver color around the air vents and radio. After 1 day, you won't notice. If you want exact, my advice is bad. If you want close, it takes the glare away, and looks just fine.
  • Options
    capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    Well, things appear to have changed.

The Matrix XRS is available in the central atlantic region afterall.

I guess that when I was using the build your own feature earlier, they had not yet arrived in the region so the website elminated them as an option.

I test drove a solar yellow one today because business took me 100 miles away from home where I knew a dealer had one. My primary intent was to determine if the major gigs against the XRS, the driver position and buzzy engine, were as bad as I had been led to believe. The car remains on my list.

I was surprised to find that when I got in the car after the salesman pulled it around, that I needed no adjustments to the seat. It seemed just fine to me. The steering wheel was neither too far away not too close. Perhaps somethings have been adjusted a little bit in the 2004 model.

The engine did seem loud and I never got it over 5k rpm. I didn't ask, but one thing that bothers me is violating break in rules during the test drive. I don't want to potentially mess up someone's car. Anyway, based on engine noise, I was shifting around 4k. The car had enough scoot for the driving I was doing. I am about 2 months away from pulling the trigger on a car and when I get into the final round of test drives, I will try to get the XRS on the interstate and get it up to speed to see how it sounds then.
  • Options
    scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    I've wondered about "violating" break in rules during test drives also. I'm not an expert, but I wonder if break in rules are really more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule. I mean, if an engine can't take being revved up briefly when its young, is it really a durable engine?
  • Options
    hudraheadhudrahead Member Posts: 169
    I too have had sales weasels evidently try to impress me by "red lining" a car several times on a demo ride. I had a rep do this some time ago when I was shopping for a car for my wife, a Saturn, that was "on special", had to take it off the demo floor to test drive. When we got back I was ready to buy but NOT that car. SM got upset with the sales rep and said for him to "meet me in my office" as I walked out since they didn't have another vehicle with that equipment, color etc. A week or two later I went back to look at a VUE. That rep was no longer with them, he is now across the street selling KIAS LOL !1

HUD :):)
  • Options
    capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    Haven't had that problem, but I have only test driven 3 cars in the past two years.

With the Matrix, I was concerned about exceeding 6k and activating the VVTi. I don't know what the owner's manual says about break in, but I was thinking it would probably be like the WRX which wants you to avoid getting into the turbo range.
  • Options
    blackyrheem1blackyrheem1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a XR FWD automatic, purchased 3 months ago with approx. 2800 miles on it now. My first full tank got 26.9 mpg. Filled up today and the mpg was 23.3. Driving is mostly city, about 40% highway. My 1989 Toyota Camry got better mileage.

I have heard the mileage is supposed to improve as the car breaks in. Mine seems to be going the other way.
  • Options
    yeah, I'm with you blackyrheem1; my AWD mileage has not gotten better. I'm up to 22k, and am using Mobil 1. I do find this whole mpg issue very odd!!
  • Options
    sueshesueshe Member Posts: 3
    If all the planets are aligned... thanks to all who posted in the Problem/Solution Page so I know what to look out for. Finally giving up my beloved Toyota v6 P/U 2wd for a Matrix 2004 base.
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Please keep us posted on your purchase experience. Happy shopping!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Options
    sueshesueshe Member Posts: 3
    I have (or will soon have) my Matrix. I'm probably the only driver around that wants a totally Base model Matrix. Absolutely NO extras. After having my bought my p/u brand new 13 years ago, I'm delighted to discover all the standard features that come with the base model that were not available for my truck back then. There are enough extras to keep me happy and still make this car's cost less than the truck I ordered in January 1990. If any of you have a memory for it you will also understand how happy I am about the financing this time around too... Remember the 16.5% days? I'm just chuffed!... Can hardly wait until Sep 1st...

BTW.... I wished I had heard about this ACCESS Pricing that is coming into affect in my area... already in affect in some areas across this country. I checked a few local dealerships and found that my best deal came from... you guessed it... the one that has been keeping my great truck in shape over the years.
    BEWARE to all who are looking forward to the negotiating process after end 2003. There won't be any! And I only received a small reduction myself. None at other dealerships... They are all back-logged with orders for this snappy vehicle and stated very clearly that there is no need to negotiate as there are always people out there who don't want to wait and will buy the vehicle at the sticker price. One particular sales person even took it upon herself to rename MSRP from "Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price" to "Manufacturers Sale Retail Price"... Hmmmm

Well I'm a Happy Camper but I think what I really learned is that "There's No Place Like Home"
  • Options
    microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    blackyrheem1 & maxx4me;

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone with low mileage numbers. Some months back I posted here indicating that my XRS (auto) was getting around 22 except for one highway trip that went ALL the way up to 25 mpg. (It now has about 10K miles so it is well broken in!) I think this is atrociaous for such a small car and engine. I had a Mazda MX-6 with a 2.2 L and 120 horsepower that would not only run circles around this Matrix but even though I drove it really hard, I always got around 27-29 mpg.. And that was a 1988 model. I would assume that all newer cars should have more technology to give better mileage. Geez, my MB E320 gets me 22 around town... And that's a whole lot bigger car and engine..! I took the Matrix to the dealer and they ran a fuel consumption test and told me it was getting 31 mpg. IN THEIR DREAMS~~!!
    The Matrix may not make it to it's second birthday with us..
  • Options
    My Vibe AWD has been around 24-25 city, and 29-30 highway. That is a bit below the 26-31 posted on the sticker. I thought the EPA mileage on the stickers were lower than reality?
  • Options
    matthew525matthew525 Member Posts: 52
    microrepair -

My 03 XRS 6-speed gets 29 city and a bit more than 32 on the highway - - wonder if the auto trans are doing as poorly?
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I'm beginning to wonder if bad areodynamics is the cause of poor fuel economy in these tall wagons. Does anyone know the drag coefficient for the Matrix? My former 03 Suzuki Aerio SX 5-speed was rated at 26/32. It consistently got a respectable 28 mpg in the city but on the highway, mileage barely improved to 29. And this was after 9k of break-in. My Aerio seemed to struggle more to stay at 80 mph than my 00 Accent with a measly 89 hp engine (the Accent had a slick .31 drag). The mileage is a disappointment when you realize the Accord with a larger engine is capable of getting 33mpg on the highway. Heck, even the V6 Accord could have beat my Aerio. It seems V6s have been making big gains in fuel efficiency whereas four cylinders are actually going down (part of the problem is the growing size of four bangers). There are only a handful of truly fuel efficient four cylinders around nowadays.
  • Options
    ed_scott0013ed_scott0013 Member Posts: 64
    According to the brochure I have in front of me: 0.321
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    (XR FWD auto) continues to be very consistent at 31-32...and that is even now in the height of summer, when I run the A/C a lot of the time. The few posters who have experienced low 20s may have something wrong with their cars, or be a victim of "leadfoot syndrome"? I would challenge the dealership, though, if their fuel economy test came back 31 and I was getting more like 22.

EPA numbers in the past, as well as today, have been guidelines only, and it is quite common for me to be able to best them, although many of my friends are not able to achieve the EPA numbers in their cars.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Keep in mind how the EPA tests are run. I was recently reading an article ( http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=27&article- _id=6865 ). The city test is run at an aveage of 21 mph with 23 stops over 11 miles. The highway test is at 48 mph with no stops. So you can see the city test wouldn't even consume a half a gallon of gas for a car rated above 22mpg.
  • Options
    who goes 48 on the freeway?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    j2tkj2tk Member Posts: 1
    Hey all,

I have a question and hope that maybe someone can help me answer it. Does a security system come standard with the XRS? I went down to the dealer and was quoted $628 for a V5 security system. Price includes installation. Is that a fair price? Thanks so much!
  • Options
    oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    My XR (auto, FWD) consistently averages about 25mpg in city/hiway driving, BUT I am leadfooted. In addition, my reference point from others here is different. I have not had a 4-banger since 1993 (when I owned a '93 Corolla), since then I have owned V6's and V8's. Hence when I get 25mpg in my Trix, I am quite happy. Our Sequoia gets 15mpg, and my LS 400 gets 19mpg. Those are my reference points hence my satisfaction with what I am getting in the Matrix.

Microrepair:

Not many 4-bangers are rated at 100hp / L of displacement, as in the Yamaha motor in your XRS. Mated to an auto tranny and its high revving nature, chances are you'll probably not do close to the EPA ratings for the car. Do you drive like me, averaging 85mph on freeways ??? Hehehehe....
  • Options
    Did I really say I have an XRS?? Yes I did, and I am cowering in the corner.. I have an XR, which makes the mileage thing even sound worse.. And no, we don't drive many freeways and if we do it is usually no more than 8 mph above the speed limit.

My frame of reference for mpg #'s is a little different. I've owned many cars that got better mileage than the XR and most were more fun to drive too. Like the 1967 MG1100; an honest 32 mpg and a little engine that loved being revved to 8000 ticks and cornered like it was a railroad car; NO lean at all and super grip on the pavement. This was the forerunner of today's BMW Mini.
  • Options
    I just KNOW you are not hoping to achieve the fuel economy levels of a 60s-era minicar! That would be a much to hope for I feel - what was the curb weight of that MG1100, BTW?

I do manage 32 most of the time in my XR auto.

• Options
    micro: Well, I managed to roll my 1964 MG 1100, got crossed up in some gravel playing WCRX. Got the thing back on its wheels and drove it home !!! It never was the same after that. I guess Alex Isigonnis knew how to design something that would not kill you, NO air bags not withstanding. LOL HUD :):)
  • Options
    nippononly: OK, how about matching a 1988 MX6 that had a 2.2 L engine and routinely delivered 26-28 mpg in spite of my leadfoot. And that car weighed more than the Matrix to boot and was the most reliable car I ever owned also.. And the best cornering car too. Of course it didn't have the large cargo area and the DRL's, but it did have a killer stereo..... I may be tempted to trade the Matrix on the new Mazda MX6 wagon when it comes out in January.. Current owners in Edmunds are raving about the zoom/zoom factor and the great suspension, low noise, very good mileage, and excellent stereo for the sedan version that has been on the market since last January.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member open chat!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Pop in for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    vtec2vtec2 Member Posts: 43
    I am averaging about 26 mpg in my XR Auto.

Also I have to fill up as soon as the low fuel light comes on, because when it does I'm on empty. The needle will still be slightly above empty and the light will have just come on and it will take 12.9 gallons to fill up. That's only .3 gallons left. Pretty dang empty if you ask me.
  • Options
    phankanephankane Member Posts: 57
    I notice that the gas spills out 9 out of 10 times that I top up the tank. Very bad design.
  • Options
    you are not supposed to top up after the pump stops, because it can damage the smog equipment.

You can extend the life of the fuel pump a little if you fill up when you get down to a quarter tank - for me this happens at about 350 miles or so per tank. Then it doesn't have to work so hard pumping out that gas that is right at the bottom of the tank.

• Options
    nippon: when you think about it, isn't ALL the gas @ the bottom of the tank all the time? I always thought the reason for not running the tank almost empty was that it allows the pump to run cooler due to a larger volume of gas that kinda acts like a "heat sink" or sorta like a coolant.

HUD :):)
  • Options
    Electric fuel pumps are typically mounted at the bottom of the tank. They are always pumping uphill in cars, since the tank is almost always lower than the fuel inlet on the engine. Trucks may be different in that the tanks might be mounted higher. Technically, as the fuel level decreases the static pressure at the bottom of the tank decreases slightly and therefore the pump has to increase it's workload slightly to make up for the static head loss. However, the heat build up, due to a reduced fuel volume acting as a heatsink, is probably a trade-off in terms of long term stress on the pump.
    There might be a danger of sucking in some floating debris or other lighter fluids when the fuel level gets really low; stuff that would never get near the pump if the fuel level is kept somewhat higher.
    There is a possibility of damage to the smog equipment if the tank is overfilled, according to a number of manufacturers.

OK, my engineer's hat is now off..
  • Options
    npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    Any of you Matrix owners have issue with how your A/C unit cools the car?
  • Options
    most of the time...takes its time if it is 100+ degrees and the car has been parked in the sun, though.

• Options
    npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    Pontiac has issued a service bulletin for my Vibe's A/C but I was trying to find out if Toyota has issued one for my roomie's Matrix. He and I have both noticed that his A/C as well as mine did not blow very cool.
  • Options
    montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Since the bulletin (Vibe) deals with an adjustment issue, it may only effect Vibes built at the NUMMI plant, and not the Matrix built in their plant in Canada.
  • Options
    matthew525matthew525 Member Posts: 52
    No problems with the A/c here in southeastern VA. Knocks the humidity out and the heat. Can't say it was as fast as some - but it gets the job done where I have to turn it back to the notch above off.
  • Options
    xrsborlaxrsborla Member Posts: 2
    I am considering a Matrix XRS with a Borla Exhaust system. Anyone have one? if so can you tell me what to expect performance wise as well as any issues you have encountered, Also does any one have a Cold Air Intake syatem installed? I am test Driving on Saturday.
  • Options
    oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    check out the matrix owners forum. There are many posts dealing with your question.

In general, some owners report a 2-3hp boost from the exhaust. TRD also has one which is reputed to be good (check out their website for availability and cost). The Injen CAI with TRD/Borla exhaust is a better combination than one or the other. But you may want to consider a Turbo or S/C, if speed is an issue for you. The latter is not out tho', but I've read of someone with the Turbo on their XR, and getting as much as 230whp+.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    xrsborlaxrsborla Member Posts: 2
    Thank You very much for your response OAC3. My Wife and I tested the XRS today it was great we drove a Sentra Spec V on Wednesday and the decision stands at Black XRS, Moonroof/6 CD changer with only Borla exhaust for now. TRD says it boosts HP to 200. We will be purchasing on this wednedday and expect delivery 10 days after, coincidentally the dealer ordered one with the same specs previously and should arrive in two weeks. TTYL
  • Options
    malibu_jackmalibu_jack Member Posts: 75
    Can anyone tell me what grade of fuel is required for the Matrix XRS?
  • Options
    malibu_jack, premium fuel is recommended, but according to a couple of dealers I talked to, it is not required. I think you lose power if you use 87 octane, but that's about it.

Does anyone know where I can get a basic Toyota Matrix service manual? I just want instructions on routine maintenance instructions, such as oil changes, spark plug replacement, etc. Haynes doesn't seem to have a book out for the Matrix yet, which is too bad because they had a great book for my last car (Nissan Altima).

I've had my black 2004 Matrix XR 5-speed for a week and love it! No complaints at all, really. I did scrape the front spoiler a bit going up a steep driveway off a main road. The owners of the Inn at Woodstock Hill in CT should have warned me about that road! :-D
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Please share what you paid in our new Toyota Matrix: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. If you recently posted that information here, feel free to copy/paste it into this new discussion.

Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Options
    went to turn the car off this morning, and the hazard lights came on briefly, then went off...anyone else had that happen??

• Options
    only after I drink too much....he, he, he
  • Options

• Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    That happens when I accidently hit the locking feature on the keyless entry remote. You might have done the same.
  • Options
    didn't think of that - that may very well be what it was...thanks!

• Options
    herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    Last 2 tanks have been 31.8 mpg and 32.4 mpg respectively. In each case about half interstate and half 2-lane highways going through towns, etc.

Since Memorial Day weekend have driven about 1,750 miles and averaged 29.1 mpg. I hope the better gas mileage continues after the weather tunrs cooler again.