Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Air resistance is a function of velocity x Cd x A, where "A" is the frontal area.

The Cd is fine, but this is a big & tall car for its class.

-Mathias
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    Also important to note that the drag coefficient doesn't come into play as much if you are driving the posted speed limits. Driving at 75-85 mph is going to reduce fuel efficiency in any car, but the impact is greater with a body style like the Matrix than in lower profile cars.
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    The base model you can add the rear window wiper, power locks and windows, keyless entry. You can add vehicle stability, antilock brakes, tire pressure system, and all available airbags to both models. Unless I want to add any options I really don't need, I think the base model would be the better buy. Does anyone disagree?
  • fixitvixfixitvix Member Posts: 2
    After years of only buying american cars, I finally bought my first import. I'm a do-it-yourself type Saturday "mechanic". On the Toyota Matrix, it states in the owners manual that a reminder light will come on when its time to change the oil. Changing oil and a filter is easy. How do you reset the oil reminder light on the dashboard?? :):)
  • sgmsgm Member Posts: 23
    The answer is in the manual. :)
  • bennettsongsbennettsongs Member Posts: 5
    Time to buy my daughter her first car. Must be a hatchback. She's moving to
    either north of NYC or to San Francisco. Priorities are of course good combo
    of price, affordability, safety, ease of maintenance, mileage, looks,
    reality. We've narrowed down to these three. Yes, I know Matrix is more
    expensive (and larger) than Fit or xA but we might buy a young used one if
    this makes sense. Would appreciate your feedback, advice, warnings,
    encouragement, etc. Thanx in advance!!
    Hard to compare Fit because not all info available. The xA and Fit do better gas mileage than Matrix. Matrix has more space: rear seat up=21.8 cu. ft., rear seats down 53. The xA rear seat up 33, down 11.7. Fit 41.9 down, 21.3 up. On average both Matrix and xA score about the same on government crash tests. No tests for Fit yet. The xA has 103 horse power, Fit has 109, Matrix has 126. All have driver and passenger front and side airbags and rear side airbags. All have antilock brakes. 14' tires for Fit, 15' for xA, 16' for Matrix. Traction and stability control and tire pressure monitor only for Matrix. Electronic brake distribution for Matrix and Fit. Hope info helps. Good luck! :shades:
  • johnc19johnc19 Member Posts: 15
    When I was looking to buy a Matrix a little over 1 year ago (2005 model) I too considered the Base Model vs. the XR. I ended up buying the XR because it had some standard equipment that's not even available on the Base model, such as: (1) color-keyed outside door handles and mirrors, (2) Power remote controlled outside mirrors, (3) 115V aux. power outlet, (4) fabric rear door trim, and (5) maplights.

I really liked the looks of the XR much better with the color-keyed mirrors and door handles. In addition, the non-power outside mirrors on the base model were difficult to adjust properly when I drove one. At the time I bought, I think the XR cost about $500 - $600 extra (when comparably equipped), which seemed reasonable for the extra features not available on the base model.

On my XR model, I also got the extra value package #1 (only $270), which includes color-keyed front and rear underbody spoilers, fog lamps, and cruise control. Cruise control can be ordered as a stand alone option on the base model, but the color-keyed spoilers (which I think really give the car a nice look) and foglamps aren't available on the base model.

Keep in mind that Toyota typically builds their cars with certain popular option configurations, and may not be willing to build certain models with or without some options. I had to special order my car because I wanted a 5-speed with side and head curtain airbags. (Not one of their standard option configurations, but at least they were willing to build it that way.)

As long as you recognize what's not available on the base model, and are happy without certain features, then the base model is a fine choice. My advice is if you can swing the extra money (less than $1,000) for the XR with the extra value package #1, you'll get a car with some nice additional features that might make you happier over the long run. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Thanks for the response! Do you know of any pics on the net I could see and compare the color-keyed outside door handles, mirrors, front and rear underbody spoilers?
  • dingledoinkdingledoink Member Posts: 3
    Hello all,

I was hoping for some information from all Matrix XRS owners. I'm thinking of buying one from either 2004 or 2005, and was hoping for some feedback from current owners.

What year is it?

Are you happy overall with the car?

How many miles do you have on it now?

What sort of maintenance costs have you incurred?

Thanks a ton!

Dan
  • sgmsgm Member Posts: 23
    No meaningful changes in 05 and 06's. Air and heat works fine and no squeaks or rattles, etc, after 4,000 miles on both of our Matrix. We have two XR's with automatics. No antilock brakes or side air bags. You have to add certain packages to get those options.

During this winter, mpg as not been as advertised, but with warmer temps it is improving.

We are most happy with both of them. Both RED - one with dark grey seats and the other with light grey!

At least in our area they are competing their twice a year $1000 coupon sale - Toyota is taking $1000 off your best deal. I think it ends 3/13.

I had my dealer order in our second one to coincide with the sale at Thanksgiving. Got both at invoice, but the second one at $1000 under invoice using the coupon sale.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • joey0708joey0708 Member Posts: 39
    i thought the corolla and the matrix would be the same . why are there so many bad things with the matrix?do the corollas have the same problems?that is why i would buy the matrix they say it has the corolla engine, that has a proven record. maybe they are not the same either.
  • path4path4 Member Posts: 24
    Although I thought buying the matrix was a big mistake for various reasons, I must add it has served me 2 years without any problem. But, my friends' corollas have all sorts of problems. They are not old at all, less than 100K miles, about 5-7 years. One had a blown engine. One shakes badly on highway. Another one had needed $1000/year repair for 3 years. The only good one never had a problem in 5 years from 50K miles to 100K mikes. But it is extremely noisey, like in an airplane. So, from my experience, I am not convinced corollas are quality cars.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Concerning the problems with the Corollas, you have to look at possible causes. Was the one with a blown engine maintained properly (oil changes, etc.)? The one that shakes badly, how are the tires, balancing, wheel alignment, struts, shocks, etc. (was it somehow damaged)? On the third one, what kinds of repairs were needed? Were they needed because of neglect? I'm not saying Corollas are trouble free. However, blanket statements without description or explanations are sometimes misleading.
  • pecclespeccles Member Posts: 52
    The current Matrix with a 4 speed automatic is rated at 34/28 mpg while the Camry with the 2.4L and 5 speed auto is rated at 34/24 mpg. If the Matrix keeps its 400lb weight advantage, it could have actually better highway gas mileage than it does now and should be able to keep its city mileage with the new 2.4L and 5 speed auto.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Aerodynamics hurts the hwy mileage much more than weight. I doubt the Matrix would be better than Camry on the hwy.
  • path4path4 Member Posts: 24
    People who buy corollas are people who value their hard earned a few thousand dollars and they protect their purchase. People who don't maintain their cars are living in Hollywood. My friends never changed oil, neved rotated or balanced the tires, they floored the gas padel whenever possible, they drove in the 2 and L gear, they loved to hit pitholes, they used AC in winter and heat in summar, they fill 93 gas and sometimes added nitro. I am really proud of them.
  • hmarhmar Member Posts: 15
    I've just ordered an XR, 5-spd manual, with the All-Weather and Special Value #1 (cruise control, fog lights, etc.). What did it for me (the upgrade to XR) had nothing to do with 115v outlets (a nice touch, though), or color coded handles - it's all about the power mirrors. It's really a sleazy bit of marketing on the part of Toyota that they make a power package available with the Base Matrix that powers up everything but the mirrors. Manual mirrors didn't matter on my '84 Civic Hatchback because it only had the one mirror on the driver's side, but when you need to make the passenger's side right, you can go nuts doing it manually. Toyota makes you pay quite a bit more for that upgrade.
    Incidentally, all Corollas come with power mirrors, showing just how deliberate this was on the part of Toyota.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Your reply, which really doesn't make much sense, explains that you know very little about the buying public. Many people, regardless how much they make or where they live, do not maintain their vehicles. There was nothing wrong with the questions. It helps determine the cause of problems (if people are honest). The sarcasm was a little funny, very little. Incidentally, there is nothing wrong in running the AC in the winter and the heat in the summer (if you can stand it). I'm sure you are (proud of them).
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Please stick to discussing the Matrix and not each other please. No need to turn things persoanl.
  • jcnaderjcnader Member Posts: 3
    Coolant can become corrosive over time depending on many factors. The Toyota dealer would not necessarily flush the coolant system and replace the permanent anti-freeze at 82K miles unless their customer asked for this service. We might all learn something here. There might be some risk in not flushing the coolant system earlier than recommended. Anyone know when Toyota recommends a flush?
    The service department at my dealer recommends flushing the coolant at 30,000 miles. Just had it done a month ago on our '03 Matrix.
  • jcnaderjcnader Member Posts: 3
    Interesting answer from a professional regarding the coolant flushing question. Click this link for the explanation:http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/toyota_errors.html
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    Funny, I find my XRS is very stable in a straight line.

On a business trip I ended up with a Jeep Wrangler. It was squirrelly and wanted to pull to the right all the time. The passenger side front tire was severely underinflated. Putting air in the tire corrected the problem.
    Why does these manufactures insist on building only compact wagons or hatchbacks? I want a large interior volume, versitility, fuel economy, good crash tests, and descent power all under 25000! I think of all manufacturers Toyota can come through! I don't want an SUV because of MPGs suck, especially since gas prices will be sky high in the coming summer! The VVT engine in the 2007 Camry and 2006 Avalon gets a good ratio of power to MPG(268 Horse power/22/31 MPG). I think the 2007 Camry make a hot looking 5 door hatchback! Any comments?
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    I like wagons too. But the market has spoken and wagons just don't sell. Honda had an Accord wagon a few years back and there was aq Camry wagon too. They were discontinued several years ago. I applaud Mazda for bringing the Mazda6 Wagon to market. I would have seriously considered one if they were available when I was in the market.

Wagons were the original image killer. Minivans took over in the 80s as the vehicle for boring family people. That's why everyone gets SUVs: for the image. Europe has discovered the sport wagon as a good combination of sport and utility, but like here, most are compact.
    I think it's time for everybody to wake up and smell the gasoline! SUVs like the dinosaur are a thing of the past! It's time to bring back the wagon! Wake up SUV people!
    The Accord and Camry wagons were discontinued in the USA many years ago. It's time to bring them back. The Camry wagon still is marketed in other countries. It wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to reintroduce left-hand steering wheels if that's an issue and sell them here again.

I too was awaiting the Mazda6 wagon, but it turns out to have only marginally more cargo space than my 1994 Corolla wagon had. Gas mileage figures also weren't all that good. I ended up getting a 4-cylinder Highlander with much more room and close to the same fuel efficiency. I still like our 2003 Matrix, but the cargo space isn't big enough to travel comfortably with 2 adults and 2 teenagers.

IMHO it's a problem when you can't find a vehicle that provides both cargo space and fuel efficiency. Even some of the SUVs have less cargo space than the '94 Corolla wagon (e.g., Mitsubishi Outlander). I think the only wagon on the market today with EPA ratings above 30 mpg is the Ford Focus wagon. It has a good cargo area but no rear head restraints. When I was looking there also was the mid-size Saturn wagon, which had some major problems, and the Volvo V30, which required premium fuel. The Saturn and V30 are no longer on the market.
    I agree about bringing back the Camry and Accord wagons. Especially the Camry since the 2007s engine gets such good gas mileage of 22 city and 31 highway and has 268 horses under the hood! What sedan can compare with that? Not to mention, I think the Camry is more reasonably priced.

As for the moment, I like the Chevy Malibu Maxx. It has 22 cubic feet luggage volume, 106 cubic feet passenger volume, 60/40 folding rear seats doubling cargo space, a fold flat front passenger seat, and gets 22 mpg city / 30 mpg Highway. Only set back is horsepower is limited to 201 at 5600 rpm, but gets 221 lbs-ft of torque at 3200 rpms. IIHS.org gave Malibu a silver rating and JD Power overall score was 5 out of 5 circles! I'd say the best alternative to SUVs!
    Yes, I forgot about the Maxx. The 22 cubic feet is about the same as the Matrix, which in 2003 was listed as 21.8 cubic feet behind the rear seat. Too small for my needs, but with the rear seat folded down the Maxx does offer more cargo space than the Matrix.
  • bearabull1bearabull1 Member Posts: 3
    Can you safely plug in your laptop into the house current plug on the Matrix? I'm worried it might blow the electrical system.
  • bret27bret27 Member Posts: 10
    Anybody know if the 2007 Matrix will have any major changes in apperance or specs?
  • daka320daka320 Member Posts: 4
    If you look at your laptop charger it will list the amount of watts it uses. As long as it is under 100 watts, which is the limit written on the outlet cover, then it should be okay. I used and charged my laptop at the same time. Also charged camera batteries and it blows up an air mattress very nicely.
  • fear_hopefear_hope Member Posts: 90
    Can someone please post the instructions of how to turn off the oil change indicator light here? :confuse: I have a Vibe and there are no instructions in the manual. I guess GM wants customers to come to them for oil changes. I received a letter telling me about the light and inviting me to come in for oil changes and to have the mechanic "reset" the light! :surprise: Thanks so much (in advance)...
  • lorenalorena Member Posts: 2
    Help...How do I know if my 2006 Matrix is a Toyota Certified Used Vehicle, or if the dealership just told me it was. Quick history - 9/15/2005 bought a 2006 Matrix that was returned to dealership w/in 20 days (legal in TX-had to be sold as used b/c of title already processed). I bought it b/c it was a TCUV. 5/4/06 - Hail damage in Austin, TX. Filed claim. Took it for insurance est. Asked if I had repainted my hood. (No.) Took it 2nd body shop for 2nd opinion - was asked how my car was ever Certified, with a mottled 2-tone paint job on the hood. He noticed before I even said anything! Was told by dealership that no work was performed in transit, at port or dealership. Don't have complete paperwork, can't get an answer from Classic Toyota of Round Rock, Texas.....any advice, help, etc. Thank you!!!!
    I don't know anything about certified used Toyotas, but you should have the rest of the manufacturer's original warranty. That won't help you with hail damage, though.
    Looking to lease a XR in aug/sept. Will probably have to order one so based on what you are saying the 2007 will not change until the 2008 model which will be later in 2007. Does that sound right?
    Also I was reading some of the postings. How do you get power side mirrors. What package does that come with?
  • mschwebermschweber Member Posts: 1
    GM has said that AWD is being discontinued in the Vibe for 2007 but may return in the next generation. Does anyone have any info as to if this will be the case for Toyota Matrix as well.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Next generation my sweet behind.

Look at this article from edmunds:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=115566

Motown Buzz: Pontiac May Go RWD Across Its Line To Promote Performance

Date posted: 05-30-2006

DETROIT — Pontiac could be betting its survival on a gradual shift to rear-wheel-drive cars and a renewed emphasis on performance[..]

The compact Vibe, which shares its platform with the Toyota Matrix, is also expected to be phased out later in the decade. [..]

The '07s are heading to dealers now. I have not been able to find out ANYTHING about the supposed '08 redesign. My guess is the Vibe will be discontinued, along with the Matrix.

I don't like it... I guess I'll cash in my GM Card $$ in January on a base 5speed and then switch to the Subaru Card...

-Mathias
  • frananfranan Member Posts: 2
    did you hear anything yet about the 2007 Matrix I hate to buy a 2006 and have the 2007 come out a month later?
    Just picked up a 2006 Base Matrix with AWD, power window & door locks. Has anyone had any problems or comments on the AWD models?
  • 051378051378 Member Posts: 4
    Make certain your odometer is in the viewing pane on the instrument cluster, not trip meter "A" or "B". With the ignition "ON" depress and hold the trip meter reset push button while viewing the odometer. Continue to depress the button and cycle "OFF" and "ON" the ignition switch. When the ignition is cycled to "ON" you will see a series of horizontal bars where you would otherwise see your total odometer mileage. The horizontal bars will count down and disappear indicating the oil change monitor has been reset. Re-setting the tire low-pressure monitor is similar.
  • wintermelonwintermelon Member Posts: 18
    I just picked up a 2WD Auto with PO as a 2nd car. I only have 1 parking space in my garage so the Matrix will be on my driveway or the streets most of the time. I'm interested to know from matrix owners who don't garage their matrix, do you think installing an alarm is necessary? Would the features of the car (still reading on them now) be sufficient? I'm thinking that since my car is very basic, nothing in it is really that valuable... Thanks.
  • jessrjessr Member Posts: 5
    I'm in the market for a Matrix but am having trouble finding one with cruise control. I'm told it can be installed at the dealership for about $300. Does anyone know if the quality would be equal to one installed at the factory?

Thanks.
    When I bought a Toyota several years back, I was told that the corporation's policy was to not allow dealers to install cruise control. That should tell you something!

I personally will never again go for an add-on cruise control. The cars I have owned with add-on systems (1987 Chevy Nova, 1989 Nissan Sentra wagon)would not hold speed very well even on fairly slight uphill grades, and they also increased fuel consumption to a noticeable degree.

The cars I have had with factory cruise control (1988 Renault Medallion wagon, 1994 Toyota Corolla wagon, 2003 Matrix AWD, 2004 Highlander) have all done a good job at maintainig speed on grades, and with no negative impact on mpg.

I don't think it's relevant, but I will mention that all of these vehicles had standard transmissions except the two most recent Toyotas.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    My clutch is at 210,000 miles right now. 30k is absurd.

Have him put the warrenty in writing and sign it. The clutch should be 60k since it is a drivetrain component. Also ask a different dealer what the policy is.
  • manitumanitu Member Posts: 1
    i'm looking into installing a turbo kit for my '03 xrs (2zz-ge), any input would be appreciated.
  • 051378051378 Member Posts: 4
    Can someone help me identify the location of the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor on my 06 Matrix XR please? It's not on the flexible rubber air cleaner to throttle body hose. The carbon canister purge valve happens to be tethered to that hose coincidentally but that’s not the IAT sensor. I purchased a fuel saving module (resistor) from the web and I need to install it in the two-wire harness that goes to the IAT sensor. It has to be somewhere between the air filter assembly and the cylinder head. I just couldn't locate it easily. If anyone else has tried one of these fuel savers I'd like to hear about that too. I'm guessing this resistor tricks the engine management CPU to make the fuel mixture leaner or perhaps advances the ignition timing. I don't know for sure. I certainly don't want to damage my engine but I would like to save up to 7 MPG as advertised.
    What happened to the "Matrix/Vibe Problems & Solutions" forum? I checked that one every few days, as a Matrix owner. When I go into my own information and check my recent posts, the comments I posted there appear to now be in something called "Vibe Maintenance & Repair Concerns." Can that discussion revert to its old name and access given again through the Matrix links? Thanks.
  • greenearth2greenearth2 Member Posts: 5
    I am planing to buy Matrix 06 XR AT + Option D. (sunroof and all the goodies) As of now the sale price I am getting is $18.9K + taxes+ process+tags.

because Cargo space, smaller than SUV, bigger than car, better mileage, cheaper than Volvo wagon.

After reading many issues posted in forum I am little skeptical.:confuse:
    Can u please suggest if it is ok to buy or any other suggestion?

Fit interior is cheap so did not like it.