Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Not sure about the price. We owned one for 2-1/2 years. It was the most functinal, solid and reliable vehicles we have ever owned. To my knowledge this Corolla wagon has a good reliability record. I have not read of anyone having any major mechanical issues with them. It is one of the most trouble-free vehicles on the road today. I'm sure some individuals with problems will disagree (they are a small minority).
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    You'll notice that we split the Vibe discussions out from the Matrix discussions into separate groups. Since a lot of the recent posting in that maintenance & repair discussion was dealing with the Vibe, that discussion went into the Vibe group. I'm going to be pulling out Matirx content from there into discussions here in the Matrix group.

We're also trying to move away from having "mega-discussions" into smaller, more granular ones. In that regard, rather than having a single "Matrix Maintenance & Repair" discussion, we're encouraging smaller, more narrowly focused discussions. For example, brake issues will have their own discussion. I've just moved the recent thread of postings you were involved in on brake issues to the Matrix: Brake Problems discussion. Same for engine problems, etc.More specific discussions will be popping up as we go along. This will make it easier for users to find the info they're after without having to go through a 2000 post discussion. While I'm in the process of pulling out older content to start up new discussion here in this group, if you have an issue to discuss and there's not a discussion for it, feel free to start one.

Pardon the dust while we move the furniture around a bit!
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    I hope this reply isn't too late to be of interest to you. We have had the AWD Matrix since August 2002. We now have close to 35,000 miles on the odometer. Problems have been few and most probably won't affect your newer model:

* I found 2 little black plastic cup-shaped things under the car when it was new, about a month or two apart. The first time it happened the dealer said it hadn't come from the car, they had looked all over, etc. I don't think I even bothered asking them the second time. Speculation in this forum was that these might be plugs used when new vehicles are in transit on trucks.
    * Occasional burning rubber smell when new. I had them check for a cause at about 6,000 miles and of course no problem was found. This was a complaint raised by several people in this forum with the early Matrixes, I believe more often with standard transmissions than automatics.
    * Headlight sensor relay replaced at 8,9000 miles. Shortly after our '03 was manufactured, Toyota started using a new part so you shouldn't have this problem of too-frequent switching from headlights to running lights and back.
    * Until 20,000 miles I didn't think the low fuel light worked. Dealer said the circuit was there but there was no test to assure that it was working properly. Then I loaded a gas can in the back and decided to drive until it came on or until I ran out of gas. It does work, but it appears there is only about a half gallon of gas left in the tank when it does.
    * Peeling chrome on inside door handles. Hopefully this problem has been addressed at the factory by now. Driver's door handle was replaced under warranty. Front passenger door handle was replaced 5 months after the warranty expired.
    * One day my wife pulled out of the driveway and I noticed the rear passenger-side bumper cover/cladding was missing. Not inexpensive to replace, but the low profile makes this a not-uncommon problem. People back into snowbanks, pull up to a high curb, etc., and one piece or the other comes loose.

That's about it in the way of issues I can attribute to the manufacturer. A few general comments:

* Engine is small, but power is adequate for normal driving and merging onto interstates. But you need to expect a lot of downshifting.
    * I don't find the driving position to be very comfortable on long trips. Many complaints about this early on from taller drivers; maybe they changed something about the steering wheel in newer model years.
    * Fuel economy was 26.5 mpg after the first 30,000 miles. (I haven't figured it since.) On the highway we have got over 30 mpg a few times, but mostly expect upper 20's. Driving mostly in town with short jaunts on the interstate we usually seem to get 22 to 25 mpg.
    * Headroom and legroom are good in both front and back. Cargo space is limited, though. We were packed to the gills when I took the Matrix on the road with two teenagers.
  • freedom32freedom32 Member Posts: 4
    I appreciate your comments. I'm in the market for a 2007 Matrix and trying to decide between AWD and FWD. I'm leaning to the AWD even though the mileage will not be as good because of winter driving conditions in Iowa. I think I will use Consumers Report to try and get the best deal price wise. Thanks again.
  • bret27bret27 Member Posts: 10
    Thank you very much for the reply. We recently leased a AWD 2006 w/power package and cruise control. It is for my wife who has never cared much for what type of car she drives. It is amazing how every night she talks about how great a car it is. She had a PT Crusier that she disliked because of gas consumption and terrible turning radius. She says the Matrix is the easiest car she has every driven. She liked the Corolla she had many years ago so Toyota rates high on her list.
    Haven't checked the gas mileage but the little lady says it is much better than the PT so that is good enough for me.
    Thanks again for the info.
  • shrinermonkeyshrinermonkey Member Posts: 58
    Where do you live/drive in Iowa? I live in I.C. and make frequent trips onto gravel roads in the winter and have never felt that I needed AWD. I don't think most places in Iowa get enough snow to justify the mileage/cost trade-off of AWD. FWD with a good set of snow tires should be able to handle just about anything an Iowa winter can throw at you.

P.S. - I am not a Matrix/Vibe owner but I am looking for a new car and they are at the top of my list right now.
    I spent part of one snowy winter in Davenport. In Massachusetts we probably get more snow, but Iowa does get a reasonable amount.

The Matrix is the car my wife drives to and from work, and my two daughters learned to drive in that car. On slippery surfaces all three are more comfortable with the AWD than they are in my FWD Highlander. And if I have the choice, I also will opt for the AWD Matrix if I have to go out in the snow. I feel like the AWD does give me a bit more control, and I'm happy to have one in the family. I couldn't see the need for two AWD vehicles, though!
    I live in the Mason City area. We have a 4 wheel drive pickup and there have been times when it has been very useful. Granted, you only need AWD a few times each year but sometimes it has been very necessary. We also live on a gravel road and the drifting can be bad now and then. Someone posted somewhere that a dealer told him that they were not offering AWD in the 2007 model. I will have to check on that.
    Its too bad they don't come out with a model that can be front wheel drive and then when you want AWD you just push a button. In 1994 we purchased a GM pickup that did have an electronic switch just like that. However, a few years ago I started having problems with the switch and could not change into AWD. After finding out the cost to fix it I decided sand bags were a lot cheaper. We do have a front wheel drive Honda but now we want to downsize and get better gas mileage.
  • shrinermonkeyshrinermonkey Member Posts: 58
    That truck had push button 4WD NOT AWD, there is actually a big difference between the two. AWD is much better in slippery conditions, like snow and ice, than 4WD. Most AWD systems do not power the rear wheels unless slippage is detected. Push button 4WD systems suck unless you are going offroad or through very heavy snow as they power all 4 wheels once activated. Both however, are burdened with drive line energy loss and added weight and complexity, so unless you really need it, I wouldn't bother.

I drove around Denver last March during the worst snow storm the city has ever seen in a FWD VW Passat w/ all season tires and didn't get stuck once. AWD is nice, but for 95% of the driving that I do, completely unecessary.
    That's not entirely true. We had an '89 Nissan Sentra wagon that was FWD until slippage was detected. Then it became AWD. That was the only year they made this system. Before that the Sentra wagon had a button. After '89 they quit making any sort of 4WD in the Sentra.

There has been some disagreement in this forum about the Matrix AWD system. My service tech told me there always was at least 10 percent power going to the rear wheels, and I found some websites that confirmed this. Other participants have questioned this, though.

If I remember correctly, Audi and Subaru also have a certain percentage of power always going to the rear wheels.
  • fear_hopefear_hope Member Posts: 90
    The VIBE are due for a 2008 redesign soon. This quote is from GM Inside News:

Pontiac Vibe: To many people’s surprise, the Vibe will be sticking around. In 2008 an all new Vibe will come, riding on a Toyota platform like the current one. Expect to see it on dealer lots in late 2007.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/index.php?page=Future_Product_Guide

Press release from GM:

Pontiac will continue to offer the base-model Vibe for the 2007 model year. It may bring back the GT and AWD versions with the next-generation Vibe, a spokesman says.

http://www.carzunlimited.com/review_00246.html

I have also seen this press release in a couple of reliable publications.
  • robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    My wife is pregnant with our first child. We have a pretty big dog (basically he won't fit in the back seat with the baby) and we were wondering if the Matrix is big enough for the baby, the dog and the stroller? Really don't want to get a big suv or a minivan. Thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    Our lab retreiver fits nicely in the back hatch. So you're looking at: a)man/woman in front seats; b)baby seat, baby gear, and folding stroller in back seats; and c) big dog in the rear cargo area. It will work, but for how long? You must ask and answer some questions for yourself. How long of a drive and will you need luggage? Where will luggage, groceries go? Do I really know how much gear a baby requires on a long trip? (Hint, you could FILL the rear cargo area and wish for more room.) As this baby grows, will there be a second baby in a few years (or while you plan to keep this vehicle)?

I like the Vibe/Matrix, but personally question it being suitable for your family needs. (However, you're the only one that can answer that!) Should you need a slightly larger vehicle, you could consider/research: Mazda5, Subaru Forester X, VW Jetta/Passat wagons, Honda CRV, Honda Element, and Toyota RAV4.
  • richardi1richardi1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 Matrix XR with 4,000 miles and basically like the car in terms of handling.

A frequent but not constant rattling noise comes from behind the gauge view area. Thoughts and/or recommendations?
    Will the Matrix meet your need? I'll go one step farther than gasman1 and answer "No!" The cargo area would not be big enough to hold baby gear and a large dog.

An additional vehicle to consider before they quit making them is the 4-cylinder FWD Highlander. Around town the Matrix meets our needs nicely, but we found it too small for a family of four with luggage. After looking at quite a few vehicles I ended buying the Highlander. It's not a hotrod, but it has plenty of space and is more fuel efficient than most of the small wagons and crossovers available. And the 4-cylinder version is in the same price range as the other vehicles mentioned.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Get a regular minivan. You won't believe the stuff you'll end up having to haul around, including other kids and carseats. I doubt that you'd ever regret it, best thing we ever did.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    With one baby and the dog, I'd say get something small like the Matrix and put the dog in the rear and the stroller in the back seat. Or look at a Mazda5. Or the Honda Fit. I have a Fit and it has as much room behind the 2nd row as the Matrix (21CuFt), and you can fold up the 1/3 part of the rear seat for the stroller, diaper bags, etc. Plus there's space under the 2nd row for paper towels, wipes, and a lot of smaller stuff. Stay away from minivans/SUVs if you only have one baby and aren't carrying other folks on a regular basis.
  • budhbudh Member Posts: 109
    I bought a new 2006 Matrix XR 2WD last May with VSC, ABS, and traction control that now has about 10,000 miles on the tires. With the zero degree temperatures in northern Indiana, I ventured out earlier this afternoon and I was slipping all over the place in the packed snow - the traction control (spinning tires) symbol was coming on frequently -- I had to concentrate on stepping VERY gently on the accelerator to avoid the tire spin.

In my Highlander SUV with tires that have been on that vehicle for over 50,000 miles, I had no trouble at all.

It was hard to tell if this problem was due to the Matrix. or if it was because the tires that came with the car are bad in the snow.

Anybody else have this issue with a new Matrix in the snow? Is it the car? Or the stock tires that came with it?

Bud H
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I have the Eagles on mine, which I assume would be awful on snow. Would the Continentals be any better? I wonder...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• gtorickgtorick Member Posts: 3
    OK...service station pumped a gob of water into my tank...i only got 5 miles down the road. Had it towed, mechanic says water has ruined the fuel pump, which is $800.00...i called dealer and its true. But i'm wondering will the water really ruin the fuel pump like that?
    Thanks!
    Probably nothing has changed in that regard in the past 40 years. My father had the same experience in a Rambler, except he only got a mile down the road. After some hassle the service station agreed to pay for the repair.
  • leseuldanielleseuldaniel Member Posts: 45
    Good news I hope:

Went to the Montreal auto show mid-Jan, the Toyota people confirmed that the all new 2008 Matrix would be available (at least over here) end of this summer. They also confirmed the reason why it was so late: the styling was juged too ugly and they had to redo it.

Last week, I went to a dealership near Montreal, and I was told the exact same information, so it looks believable. I tried very hard to get any details, but the salesman would only tell (and only knew) that the new car had been demonstrated to the dealership owners around here a few weeks ago and the owner came back with a huge smile telling : WOW people, we are not going to lose money with this one!

Let's wait a few more months and see....
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Rookie11 I bumped your post to the Prices Paid & Buying Experiences thread, Go Here hopefully you will find those to help answer your question over there! :)
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    The thing is though the 2008 Matrix would probably come out in conjunction with the 2008 Corolla which everyone is saying is delayed till spring 2008
  • jenny541jenny541 Member Posts: 4
    I'm interested in the Matrix, but now that I saw a 2008 model will be out near the end of summer, I'm wondering if I should wait?

I got a great quote on a 2007 Matrix yesterday and my husband and I are trying to decide what to do. I'm thinking if the 2008's come out, they will cost more? Also, will I get a better deal on the 2007's once the 2008's come out?

Thanks!
  • budhbudh Member Posts: 109
    Normally, I connect a radar detector in my vehicle by finding a relatively unimportant fuse in the fuse box that has power only when the car is running, take the fuse out, replace it with the positive lead of my radar detector wire inside the fuse opening (jamming the fuse on top of it), connecting the ground, and it's ready to go.

But if anybody has tried to access the fuse box in THIS vehicle, they know it a treat! Tiny fuses that you have to get on your back to access, and can hardly reach them and read the designations.

Anyone know of one or two wires powered up only when the ignition is out of the off position that are easily accessible?

Bud H
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Try asking Here Too!
    If you buy an '08, you will experience the same thing that peeved off a few '02 Corolla buyers: a really short model year that will leave you with the "old model" barely 6 months into your new car ownership. Just something to be aware of if you decide to wait.

The deals on the last model year are usually the best regardless of model or manufacturer - Toyota does a good job of ramping down production of the old model in anticipation of the new, but even so there will probably be good deals on Matrix if you can wait until New Years Day 2008.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• wcskjbwcskjb Member Posts: 10
    Can four passengers and four sets of golf clubs fit inside a Matrix?
  • 051378051378 Member Posts: 4
    No, you can fit three (3) passengers and three (3) sets of golf clubs. When both back seat backrests are in the up position the cargo storage area is very short. It is a great vehicle for two passengers. I can put two full sized mountain bikes inside the vehicle by removing the front wheels and seat/seat post assemblies. The bikes rest upside down on the handlebars and rear tires. The floor binding system works excellent for strapping them down too. Along with the bicycles I've had four (4) suitcases and many miscellaneous items. Very cool mini-wagon indeed! :)
    I'm not sure where the best place is to post this now that there is no longer a 'problems and solutions' forum....

2003 AWD Matrix. The entire panel on the driver's door that has buttons for locking the doors and levers for controlling all 4 windows has caved in (for lack of a better word). If you push way down the controls still work, though you might think you'll lose your finger down there somewhere.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, could you please describe what exactly has happened? My wife took it to the dealer and they have to order a part and install it (total cost will be about $100.00). But they didn't tell her what exactly the part is and what happened to cause this.

Thanks.
  • toronado455toronado455 Member Posts: 83
    Went to the Montreal auto show mid-Jan, the Toyota people confirmed that the all new 2008 Matrix would be available (at least over here) end of this summer. They also confirmed the reason why it was so late: the styling was juged too ugly and they had to redo it.

Could it be released in Canada before the states? Is that possible? (I'm also trying to figure out if it will be here Fall 2007 or not until Spring 2008.)

I tried very hard to get any details, but the salesman would only tell (and only knew) that the new car had been demonstrated to the dealership owners around here a few weeks ago

Is that possible? Could the car already have been demo'ed for dealers if we haven't seen any official press photos yet? That doesn't sound right to me.
  • leseuldanielleseuldaniel Member Posts: 45
    That is the information I got from the two independant sources (Auto show rep and dealership salesman) within a few weeks from each other. And from the smile the salesman had on his face when talking about it, it really sounded like he has info on the car from the owner. After I asked the question about the 08 he completely stopped trying to sell me a 07 matrix, and told me to come back in August/Sept. Does that prove something? No. Both sources could have lied to me. But I keep my hopes up...Sorry, that is all I got...
  • lee52lee52 Member Posts: 2
    Yes I had the same problem. The plastic connections broke.

I used Gorilla glue on the connections, replaced the cover and so far, so good.(but it has only been a week)
    Lee52
  • lee52lee52 Member Posts: 2
    The engine light just went on in my Matrix... had it coded and it said the catalytic converter was not working as efficiently as it had been. The car just hit 100,000 miles.
    Has anyone else had this problem? I know that this is an EXPENSIVE repair.
    I just had the 100,000 mile checkup, replaced spark plugs, air filter, etc.
    thanks,
    Lee52
    Cat converters tend to get gummed up over time. Though 100,000 seems a bit early for a replacement - but I'm not a Matrix owner so I don't know the particulars of that car. But a fresh one will give you better performance, fuel economy, etc.
  • 2005_matrix2005_matrix Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2005 Matrix.

My low fuel warning light comes on when the fuel gage needle is mid-way in the last fourth of the fuel gage calibration. But in reality, my car still has 2+ gallons of fuel left.

When the fuel gage needle is at the very bottom of the fuel gage, my car still has 2 gallons of fuel left.

Is the above normal or is the calibration on my fuel gage set too conservatively?
    That sounds normal. Don't expect much precision from these dash gauges and lights. They are approximate at best.
    Yours and mine are exactly the same. The light comes on at the midpoint of the bottom 1/4 of the gauge, when it needs 11 gallons, which means there are about 2.4 gallons left in the tank. There are about 2 gallons of gas remaining below the bottom of the gauge.

I usually just fill up as soon as the light comes on, I don't like driving around with it on.

• didisdidis Member Posts: 1
    On another topic...I am in the market for a new, used, car...live in the PNW so need an AWD vehicle. i am fluctuating between a CR-V and a Matrix. I am leaning towards the Matrix because of the better gas mileage, but am really disappointed that the AWD only comes with automatic transmission. Any comments on the auto transmission of the awd matrix?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    What about a FWD Matrix with 4 snow tires. It will run cirles around the AWD without snows and will get better mpg still.

Remember AWD does not help you stop, but snow tires do. Not being able to stop is when you run into something, or go off the road.
    The Gorilla Glue may save you several trips to the dealer and $62.53 parts & labor.

My wife took the car in initially so they could look at it. Then they ordered the wrong part, so nothing was accomplished when I took it in the 2nd time. The 3rd time was a charm.

For anyone else who experiences this: The window/door lock controls fit into an assembled box-like thing, which then is mounted into the door with screws and tabs. In our case one of the plastic mounts for a screw had severed into two pieces, and when we tried to use it after that the box apparently moved enough to break off the tabs.

It shouldn't happen if they use quality parts to begin with. It should last 10 years or more, not 4 years. But at least it didn't cost an arm and a leg to replace it.
    The auto is a 4-speed that likes to upshift and doesn't like to downshift. That's good for fuel economy, bad for having fun!

It's as good as a Subaru Impreza's, but not quite up to the standard of the CRV, which is a lot more responsive (and just as smooth in shifting, if not smoother).

If you are thinking about an AWD hatch, you might want to check out the Suzuki SX4. Reports of its slowness have been exaggerated, IMO. It's a pretty nice package, at a good price.

• slavezeroslavezero Member Posts: 1
    Toyota will not be selling a 2008 Matrix. It has been discontinued and is being replaced by a car that Toyota is already selling in Japan, called the Blade.
    I think you will find that there will be no 2009 Matrix, but the 2008 will appear in the fall to give the 'Trix one last hurrah before sailing off into the sunset. ;-)

• k2qok2qo Member Posts: 10
    Gang,

Check the Toyota website for the new 08 Matrix. Wow! It's exactly the same as the 07. Hmm........
    Except that the EPA rating under the new rules has dropped to 26/31 for the automatic.

And yes, it is otherwise unchanged and at a dealer near you right now.

• bostonstevebostonsteve Member Posts: 3
    Okay, one thing that's really annoying me about the 06 XR AWD that I just bought is that if I put anything heavy on the passenger seat, it beeps at me (thinking that there's a passenger being naughty and not wearing their belt). Any way to disable this?

Also, on my last car I had a stereo with a auxillary input in the rear (for hooking up DVD players and what not). I used a $5 cable from radio shack, ran it under the dash and had it come up in the center console, and voila! instant MP3 player. Before I go through the trouble of taking off the molding to get to the rear of the stereo, does anybody know offhand if the factory stereo has a AUX input in the rear?