Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Yeah, I posted that there were 2 automatic XRS models on the lot at Carmax Laurel. I need to get there to test drive one of them, because I wanna know what the Matrix XRS automatic drives like. :)
  • dogtrainerdogtrainer Member Posts: 96
    I used the Web to check the inventory at Carmax Laurel Toyota near DC, (www.carmax.com and pick your state). Found that they had one with approximately the features I wanted, drove 60 miles one way yesterday, drove it, bought it and brought it home.

I got a Radiant Red XR with:
    - All Weather Guard package
    - ABS
    - Cruise
    - 6 disc CD changer
    - Sport Plus package
    - Floor Mats
    - Cargo Mat
    - Rear bumper protector
    - 17 inch wheels

Price:
    MSRP - $19,345
    Paid - $18,848

Because this is a first-year model, I also bought the 7 year/75,000 mile Toyota Platinum extended warranty for $899

My experience with Laurel Toyota was outstanding! This is a Carmax dealership, which means fixed prices with no haggling. I worked with Joel Vittori, and I would recommend him without reservation. He is professional, knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with.

I financed with Carmax and have 3 days to rescind the financing with no interest or penalty if I find a better rate than the 6.95% they gave me.

After driving home, I am very happy with the car. It is comfortable, reasonably quiet and behaves like a well-mannered sedan. Acceleration is not great, but good enough for me. The brakes are great, and the transmission shifts imperceptibly.

When we showed it to our son-in-law, he said "Pretty sporty for an old man!"

I gotta tell you folks, this color is RED!!! I would call it fire engine or candy apple. People see you coming from a long way off!

If I were king of the car universe, I would have wanted the car with steel wheels and side airbags, but they had this one and it was what I wanted otherwise, so...

Now I have to figure out how to work all the toys and gizmos. Will keep you posted.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Apparently the Japanese also perfer the more aggressive look of the Vibe than the more conservative Matrix.
  • badtoybadtoy Member Posts: 343
    The Japanese like something different, just like we and the Europeans do. Knowing that the underpinnings are made by Toyota probably doesn't hurt a bit.
  • boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    Got any Matrix AWD's out by you? I can't even see a Vue AWD with CVT till April sometime. Just noticed the Vibe and Matrix come with AWD. I am just not that interested in another stick. So I would like to try a AWD Matrix with an auto just to see if I could live with it.
    I didn't mention in my report yesterday that my car is an XR automatic.
    The AWD Matrix is not going to have alot of reserve power though, because it only has 123 horsepower. Keep that in mind.
  • xr_matrixxr_matrix Member Posts: 96
    Hey Dogtrainer...Congrats on the new new Red XR...Do you have any dogs? I am wondering how my 70lb Golden Retreiver will fit in the back. It looks a little tight for him...
  • pdrumans1pdrumans1 Member Posts: 48
    How is the shift quality of the 6 speed? I have never driven the Celica GTS, but have always heard that the 6 speed was notchy and the clutch was not very smooth. How is the XRS as far that goes? Opinions?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The new Toyota Corolla & Matrix Owners club is now available on Edmunds.com Owners Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside in Hatchbacks and Wagons.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Can anyone tell me where the rear seat heat ducts are located? Are they under the rear seats? Trying to locate them (on showroom models) as we wait for our Matrix to come in. Don't want to ask the salesman. Thanks.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    Can you tell me in detail about the 7/75000 warranty you bought?

Is it a true extension of the 3/36 warranty, or are there only certain things that they do cover? When I had my Supra, Toyota had an extended warranty, but it didn't cover even the radio.

since Toyota offers a 5/60000 powertrain warranty, do you feel the extra 2 years and 15000 miles were worth the $899? Since the only major non-powertrain items would be the AC and radio I guess.....

Does the warranty offer roadside assistance, or loaner cars? I'm coming off a Cadillac lease, and I'm very used to being treated like a king when I come in for service, I was distressed to see that Toyota is one of the few manufacturers that doesn't offer roadside assistance as part of its standard warranty.

I normally lease my cars, and thus do not keep them longer than the new car warranty, but as finances and family status will be changing, I plan on buying my Matrix via a home equity loan (god the housing rates in the DC metro area are wonderful! :-) ) and keeping it a while. The idea of an extended warranty is very nice, but just wondering if it's worth the $899.00....that's a lot of $$$$.

Thanks
  • rpgropperpgroppe Member Posts: 24
    The Toyota web site (Toyota.com) has a comparison of their different plans and what is/is not covered.

I'm considering getting an extended plan for my Matrix as well, depends on what the dealer charges.
  • southpaw1southpaw1 Member Posts: 34
    I drove the 6 speed and have placed an order. The 6 speed is a bit picky and I kept missing 3rd gear. I assume this will loosen up over time. When I got the shift right (most of the time) it was nice and smooth. I have a very tight gearbox with a hand shifter in my MR2 so I don't think it'll be that different. Overall the 5 speed gears were easier to find but I want the extra power in the 6 speed.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    who just got a new silver XR Matrix. He loves it. He's having a Sony 6 disc CD changer added today.
  • TupTup Member Posts: 200
    Here in Canada roadside assistance is part of the 3 yr basic warranty.

I just noticed something tonight as I washed the Matrix. The alloy wheels have the balancing weights on the inside of the wheel...which is nice not to have those pesky...leave marks...little eye sores sticking out on the wheels. Makes it easier to clean the alloy wheels as well.
  • thattreethattree Member Posts: 7
    Looking around at various dealers with online inventory, as well as Toyota's own configurator, I'm wondering about how widely available side air bags are on the Matrix.

It seems as though the only way to get side air bags right now is to get a loaded XRS. Has anyone heard of an XR with side air bags?
  • cletusredneckcletusredneck Member Posts: 10
    I've been looking at some dyno charts for the XR and XRS engines. From the charts the XR and XRS engines are nearly identical from 0-6000 RPM in torque and HP. The only difference is that XR numbers start to fall off after 6000 RPM while the XRS continues to increase dramtically after 6000 RPM. It's like the XRS engine turns into a different engine after the second cam kicks in. It seems like the XR is the better deal in the long run with lower operating costs and performance equal to the XRS. That is unless you drive around shifting at redline all the time.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Above 6000 rpm, oil pressure pushes a pin in to the rocker arm and the low rpm roller floats free, and the extra horsepower comes in. Of course this is only on a warm engine. When the engines are cold rpms and shift points are lower for emissions reasons.
  • edpfsedpfs Member Posts: 14
    I have a friend who is as loyal to Honda as I am to Toyota.

He informed me that he was able to buy Honda's 7/75 extended warranty at a considerable saving from a party other than the dealer where he bought his car (yesterday on an Accord, and a year or so ago on an Odyssey.)

Anyone aware of similarly available warranties for Toyotas?
    I would be a little suspicious about purchasing an extended warranty from a 3rd party, particularly at a much lower price. In the past some of these companies were not willing to pay for warranty work. They would claim that it was the Manufacturer's responsibility, the part had outlived its usefulness (normal wear and tear) or the vehicle had not been appropriately maintained. Some have even gone bankrupt. They are fine until a claim is launched. Do some investigating before purchasing these types of warranties. Warranties are a type of insurance and Insurance Companies are in business to make money. Good luck.
  • twistinmelontwistinmelon Member Posts: 90
    petl, I think you have misunderstood edpfs's question.

You can buy a Honda Care extended service agreement (aka extended warranty) from any Honda dealer. It is, as the name suggests, the genuine factory warranty. I am in Illinois and bought mine from a dealership in Kentucky. I would not buy a third party warranty either.

So, the questions it seems edpfs has for Toyotaphiles are:

(1) whether you can buy Toyota "extended service coverage" (aka extended warranty) from any Toyota dealership? and

(2) if so, does anyone have a line on a dealership willing to sell at a good price?

BTW, here's a link to the relevant portion of the Toyota website:

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pyv/extended_service_coverage/n_index.html

twist

Thanks to someone listening...I was able to find a roof rack to fit a Matrix. For those interested, Yakima ( http://www.yakima.com ) make a base rack for the Matrix and have a ton of attachments for it including bike, ski, kayak, canoe, baskets, etc. When you go to their fit guide you need to select 2002 not 2003 as they have the Matrix listed as a 2002 model. Yakima are much further advanced than Thule in terms of development for new vehicles...they even have a rack to fit a Honda Pilot which hasn't even hit the Honda stores yet!
  • just_some_guyjust_some_guy Member Posts: 52
    I have seen at least one XR with side air bags here. Maybe two, I can't remember exactly.
    From your profile you're south (TN) of me (PA), so that's a good sign that the "BE" option is more widely available on the Matrix. Thank you!
  • highcountyhighcounty Member Posts: 10
    XR on order, does anyone have a good suggestion for cool seat covers or other accessories?
  • just_some_guyjust_some_guy Member Posts: 52
    I saw some neoprene seat covers that I thought looked nice. But to be honest I haven't seen cloth seats that I liked as much as the Matrix in a long time. I'd have a hard time covering them up. I should note that those covers weren't specifically for the Matrix, they were just in a catalog I was looking at.
  • leafguy2727leafguy2727 Member Posts: 83
    I'd like to get the XRS fog lights put in my XR. Does anyone know if all the wiring is there? I noticed on the grill it has the two spots for the fog lights, has anyone done this yet or have a guess on the price and installation?
    Highcountry,

Neoprene? That sounds pretty wild. Where did you see them?
  • echowranglerechowrangler Member Posts: 23
    Check out:

http://www.wetokole.com/index.htm

These are way cool - it's like wet suit material. I have a set in my Echo. No, they're not hot and sticky.

They are custom made for each car, don't know if they have Matrix available yet. Check out the optional Toyota graphics you can have put on. I'll get another set when I get my Matrix.

Aloha,

Jim B.

Honolulu, HI

Just some guy, echowrangler, rpgroppe, I have the neoprene seat covers on my 4x4 and love them. We mmtn. bile a lot and want something cool to cover up he cloth seats! I will check with wetokle and report back.
    Sorry , I'll have another cup of java and use spell check in the future. Some of the Mtn. bike spills I have taken did involve bile!
  • echowranglerechowrangler Member Posts: 23
    I drove by Waipahu Auto yesterday, and they had a lovely white XR on the lot, with the grey interior I wanted. I thought about it overnight, then went back to Toyota City where I'd been looking, to see what kind of deal we could spin. I bought it:

Matrix XR 2wd auto, Super White, stone interior.
    Options:
    AB Anti-lock brakes
    BE Side Airbags
    EJ AM/FM/6-disc CD
    UP Sport Package
    SP Sport Package

Car and options, plus $477 destination charge: $19,677

Actual price paid:

$18,750
    Add Floor mats - no charge
    Doc fee, $175
    Hawaii gross excise tax, $788.42
    License & registration, 104.11

Total out-the-door, $19,817.53

I'll pick it up Monday. I really didn't intend to get the alloys, or the moonroof, etc., but it sure looks nice.

Aloha,

Jim
    I was pleasantly surprised with how quiet it was, even at highway speeds! Given what had been written above I expected the worst, but the one I drove is quieter than our Saab 9-5 (admittedly itself not the quietest car). I did not have an issue with the acceleration; it seemed fine.

The only things I'm not excited about are (1) lack of folding side mirrors and (2) Cosmic Blue Metallic + side air bags = XRS, apparently. I've got to decide if I can deal with the extra price for the color and features I want (going back to reread the Cosmic Blue-related comments earlier in this thread).
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and congrats! Echowrangler- good luck on your Matrix delivery this Monday. We look forward to hearing all the details.... ;-)

To all the new owners here- If you have a spare moment, please drop by our new Corolla & Matrix Owner's Club and say hello in our in our Meet the Members discussion . Use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write our message. Happy Motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    Well, I guess I leaped before I looked. I got to drive the XRS and the XR back to back (in the form of the Vibe GT vs. the non-GT) and I must say, the XRS isn't worth the extra $1200.

I priced out a similarly equipped XR and XRS, and the difference was exactly $1200 MSRP. For that $$$ I figured I was getting discs in the rear, an extra gear, and the extra 50hp.

Well, I wound up the engine past 6000rpm to get the extra umph, and it was ok, but nothing to write home about. The extra gear (6spd vs. 5) worked in the opposite direction. Get this...on the 5spd, at 60mph, the engine was at 2500rpm. on the 6spd, at 60mph, the engine was at 3400rpm.....huh????? Perhaps that accounts for the 5mpg loss on the XRS vs the XR (manual trans).

So, I cancelled my order for an XRS and ordered an XR. I only hope I didn't set my wait time back....the dealer will know on Tues.

I saved myself $1300 between the two. I'll post my new order with pricing ASAP.
    I went on Saturday and test drove an automatic Matrix XR in indigo ink. I don't know what options it had, other than the Sport Pkg., automatic, and the Sport Plus Pkg. I left the AC compressor engaged the entire time I drove the car, just to see how it performed with the AC on (it was like 70 degrees in Md. anyway, so it was not overly cold with it on). The AC does work well and get pretty cold though.

I accelerated from a stop, and wondered just how far I would have to push down the pedal to get some power from the engine (I have a 2002 Jetta turbo with 180hp and automatic). I thought it was very dead, but of course I am used to 50hp more and a turbo to boot. The handling was pretty good though, and the interior was very roomy. It's pretty nice to look at, but it looks just like the Celica sports couple on the dash I think. Not overly cheap, but missing some convenience items I have grown used to (center sunvisor, telescoping steering wheel, etc.) of my Jetta. Still nice though, and the interior was very roomy as well.

I did not like, however, that the side mirrors seemed pretty small. Also, the top of the mirror casing sticks out further than the bottom part does, making it hard to see in (guess you get used to it after driving for awhile, but I only drove it for like 10 mins.). Also, the back window is kinda narrow as well, and there was a noticeable blind spot I noticed at both rear corners when checking for lane changes. The front end is nice and low though, and easy to judge.

Overall, I am sure I would have been impressed more by the Matrix XRS, but there was none available to test drive (I asked the dealer). A little more power, different mirrors, some more luxury features (only to me, because I know it's meant to be a low-cost car), and better visibility, and the Matrix would be perfect.
  • TupTup Member Posts: 200
    Here's another positive review:

http://www.womanmotorist.com/review/toyota/bs-toyota-matrix-2003-01.shtml

Woman motorist website but the review was by a man....go figure.

Sorry for the delayed response, but I haven't been around lately.

If you're talking about keeping your Golden behind the rear seat, you're probably right, it's a little tight. I've driven on many long trips with dogs, (showing means travelling), and I would never let a dog ride loose in a car. In an accident, they are thrown forward and could kill or injure you to say nothing of the damage done to the dog. Get a good strong crate and fasten it down to the tie downs. This way, both the dog and you are protected.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Excellent advice. My vet tells me that in serious accidents with an unrestrained in the dog in the car, over half the time the dog attacks the owner! As in what the heck did YOU do that for, Master?

Sometimes the injuries are QUITE serious. Unrestrained large items NEVER go in a wagon or hatchback. That is even more important when the item has a mind of its own and can attack you!
    The Toyota Platinum warranty is an exclusive warranty. That is it covers everything except those things which are specifically excluded. The exclusions are mostly maintenance items like belts, wiper blades, nuts and bolts, brake pads, etc. This is more than the power train warranty which doesn't cover things like the alternator, water pump, etc.

Normally, I wouldn't get an extended warranty for a Toyota, but remember that any first year problems are going to occur on our cars, and I just feel it's good insurance for the price. Doesn't take too much to go wrong to eat $899.

If I decide that I don't want it later, I can notify them and give it up for a pro rata refund.
    Yes...I agree about the dog crate. I have a harness that he wears over his front shoulders which attaches to the seat back. Probably not as good as a crate but I just can't bear to not take him...risk/reward and if he could talk, I know he would say take the risk...it's worth it.

When I get the Matrix though, good point I will then have the room for a crate for him.
    Various articles and a Toyota press release tout the base/XR engine in the 2WD Matrix as meeting ULEV standards.

Does anyone know whether this means that the 130hp engine is ULEV anywhere, or just in California? Does the "50 State Emissions" option basically replace the ULEV compliance?

Finally, has anyone ever heard of special-ordering California emissions on a car being purchased elsewhere?
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    i was just told this morning by a friend that toyota will soon implement this "one-price" system in the province of (B.C.) where i live. it basically means one price for all dealers, no bargaining, no hassle,no going back and forth between manager and customer to agree on the price, type of system. u pay what you see on the window sticker system!

apparently, this system is already in place in 3 provinces in canada and one more province to follow around june (B.C.).

i just want to know if you folks in US of A have this type of system at your toyota dealers. if so, which state and are prices more expensive than dealers without this system?

thanks.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Such a system has serious anti-trust problems, though Saturn has gotten away with it for some time. If one has a trade, the one price system is a polite fiction, at best.

To my knowledge, even when there is a one price system, good customers can and do get discounts. and other customers suspect that they do.
    Got a call from my salesman tonight. He says my Matrix is on the way. They should have it in within the next three weeks (though they don't have the VIN # yet).

Strange question, anyone know if the front seats on the Matrix are the same as the Corolla or are they unique? I'm looking into seat covers.
  • drunkpenguindrunkpenguin Member Posts: 9
    Hi everyone. I'm new to this board and I just bought the a XR automatic tonight. Options I got were AB, EJ, UP, SP...paid 18700 (not including all the tax, licsence, etc.). Dunno if that's a good price, but almost all the dealers around the San Francisco/San Jose bay area are asking for a dealer markup. Hopefully I can pick it up in a couple of days. It's pretty exciting since this is my first new car. Been driving a beat-up '91 Saturn all this time.
  • potroastpotroast Member Posts: 13
    In Canada the Toyota one covers ,roadside, travel,gaskets and computers,etc.
    Does the overdrive have a cancel switch? All other Toyota models equipped with the automatic have it. It is not indicated in the brochure. Thanks.
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    I checked 5 dealers in my area, so far no one has it, also checked with Longo, they didn't either & they're huge. Gotta drive the XR & XRS back to back. Am shifting to Automatic :-) due to advanced age and carpal tunnel. I could quit my job to avoid the latter but then it'd be tough to make those payments...