Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue Owners Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited April 2014 in Oldsmobile
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Intrigue!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays: 5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Thought i would be the first to check in on our forum.
  • Options
    one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Want to support the new message boards we have. If the 300M owners can do it, we can too :-)

76,000 miles on my Intrigue and still kicking!
  • Options
    ghostzghostz Member Posts: 19
    Checking in. I hope we can get enough interest to keep this going.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Hope this area will be fun.

What is the difference between this club and the discussion?
  • Options
    limadeltalimadelta Member Posts: 49
    18000 miles and the 3.5 is still revving like a high-zoot, go-fast car.

The alternator arrived today and I'll let you know if the current incarnation is the 'fix' that it is supposed to be. To be honest about this flickering thing...it is minor, but I want this caught and fixed before it becomes something that will haunt me a few years from now.
  • Options
    dindak asks: What is the difference between this club and the discussion?

You can have as many specific discussions as you like in your club folder. Examples:

Care & Maintenance
    Dealer Dealings
    Problems & Solutions
    Events & Road Trips
    Accessories & Modifications
    Member Chat

Whatever you want, just give me a holler and I'll set it up.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • Options
    jjpowell2jjpowell2 Member Posts: 91
    Hi! Thought I'd check in to report gas mileage is now 25.8 MPG with a mix of city & 75mph driving. Love the car but waiting to see if the new-new alternator will fix the dimming. Be sure to report in limadelta....our dealership is trying to get the new alternator as I type.......
  • Options
    j_colemanj_coleman Member Posts: 143
    OK, I'll share some details about my Intrigue.

Forest Green 1999 GL (built 5/99, delivered 6/99)
    3.5L engine

Options:
    Nuetral leather interior
    CD player / Cassette Deck (6 speaker sound system)
    Steering wheel radio controls

I currently have about 24K miles on the odometer.
  • Options
    shadowmonkeyshadowmonkey Member Posts: 9
    99 DX, black, spoiler. Smooth looking cars, ain't they? just hit 16,400 miles. Bought it at 11k back in November for roughly $13k.
    Except for some of the same small(small??) issues others seem to be having[ popping sound when turning, rough start, etc] I LOVE MY CAR!!

Just had the AC blower replaced, because it was noisy and squeaky.... also had the AC control head unit replaced, because the AC would turn itself on and off... I'm in Sarasota, FL, and it's too damned hot to tolerate that kind of crap..

I reported some warping/coming loose around the center A/I vent in the dash.... figured they'd replace the vent cover, or apply glue or something... they're going to replace the entire dash!...wow....well..at least I should have that new car smell back for a while...

Anyway.... hi, all!
  • Options
    ian18ian18 Member Posts: 133
    Hi everyone,
    My 98 Intrigue has just gone over 50,000 miles. The 3800 engine is doing great as is the entire car (especially now that I have new rotors complements of Olds). It is a rare medium Grey-Green color (I don't why Olds dropped this color as I think its the awesome), fully loaded including autobahn package and sunroof.
    I am especially interested to hear of other owner's experience doing recommended maintenance as the mileage increases. So far I have done nothing except change the oil every 4-5,000 miles. However, I plan to change the auto transaxle oil and coolant even though it is not called for until 100,000 miles.
    Ian
  • Options
    a4naxenta4naxent Member Posts: 9
    My first time on this site. My 98 Intrigue is one of the gold ones with the tan interior. Has all the goodies except the CD changer and the Autobahn package. This car is a joy to drive -- wish I could say the same about reliability. More about that later as it will be a long posting.
  • Options
    oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    Love: looks, performance, features, etc.
    Don't love: interior rattles, suspension.

Got it in Feb 00 for $20,484 after rebates(everything but the Bose) from fleet guy. I believe it was on the lot for quite a while, hence the price. I guess no one liked the Forest Green except me.
  • Options
    swagledswagled Member Posts: 195
    When I went shopping, there were a lot of white and forest green Inrigues. White I can understand, it's a "rental color". I thought the green looked nice... but the ones I saw had too much optional equipment.

Green can be something of a "periodic" color. I.e., when I think green, the thought of 1970s Ford Mavericks and Plymouth Dusters come to mind... American automakers seem to have taken a long break from it.
  • Options
    Some of you will notice that your messages from yesterday no longer exist. There was a major hiccup in the system last evening. Edmunds.com apologizes sincerely for the difficulties this situation poses. Please rest assured that every effort is being expended to rectify this matter as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • Options
    limadeltalimadelta Member Posts: 49
    jjpowell2: The newest iteration of the alternator is in and will put installed next week.

I will let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    dupedupe Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up an 01 Bronze Intrigue GLS last month. Just couldn't resist the rebate and loyalty voucher deal. Why I originally came to this site was to see if I could find any info on the oil filter wrench. Any idea where one can be bought or ordered?
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    dupe: Try the intrigue VII thread. There should be somebody who knows.
  • Options
    Most of you are coming from the Intrigue thread but anyway.. I have a

2000 Intrigue GL (Silver Mist)
    Options include : Spoiler, upgrade CD/Tape with steering controls and speakers.
    Purchased at Taylor Chev Olds In Kingston ON in March 2000.
    Currently have 31K kms on the beast
    Problems : faulty temperature gauge fixed under warranty
    General : Love this car like crazy. Recommend to anyone looking at a Maxima or V6 Accord. Great engine and handling!
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Most any auto parts store has a wrench that will work. It is simply the "socket" type that fits the small oil filters.
  • Options
    tammyj2tammyj2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, my name is Tammy! I just bought a 2000 intrigue today! I love the V6!!! intrigue. I hope it lasts a long time!! Does anyone have any information about GM fazing out the Oldsmobile line of cars?

Peace!!!
  • Options
    Congrats on the car!! I love my Intrigue also. More than a year with it now, it's a pleasure to drive every day.

GM says 2003 will be the last models year for Intrigue. That being said, I think production will likely end in 2002 sometime, probably around the time Grand Prix changes to it's all new 2003 design.
  • Options
    This week's topic:

My vehicle is better than yours because....

Brag about your ride on Tuesday, May 8, 5-6pm PT/8-9pm ET in the new News & Views Weekly Chat

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• Options
    Is anyone out nearing the end of your lease, or maybe even not that close to the end, but are already getting offers to buy the vehicle from the lessor? It doesn't matter if you plan to take the offer or not. Does this describe your situation? If so, please post your story in our discussion Talk to the Press, or respond directly to Jeannine Fallon, our PR Director at Edmunds jfallon@Edmunds.com. As always, your identity will be protected at your request.

Thanks much!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • Options
    ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    Had this car a year and a half, and have had few problems, mostly trim affecting.
    14400 miles thus far, bought Dec. 99. Also looked at Passat(VW) and Altima (Nissan).
    Previous car: '90 cavalier (don't laugh, ok laugh, but 1 income two kids, do the math...
    previous car to that was a '86 Mustang GT, so the Cav. was like doing time!).

Loves (in order): Styling outside, Design Inside (very German), Performance (3.5), Handling,
    Size (useful).

Dislikes(in order): Build quality (not awful though), ABS system(intrudes too soon/frequently),
    dealer service, size(also a "love" for it usefullness, but would like a size
    closer to a Passat).

One liner: The Intrigue combines two of my favorite cars I have owned- a Mustang GT for its
    power and looks, and a '83 GTI, for its German feel and refinement!
  • Options
    bb1129bb1129 Member Posts: 7
    Last August after about 17,000 miles, my '98 needed a rebuilt transmission (covered under warrenty). It was in the shop for 8 days. I believe it should still be covered under the power train warrenty until 2003 (5 years from date of purchase in February 98). Other than the transmission problem and problems with a sticky passenger door and rear seatbelts, the car has been enjoyable. I also got new rotors courtesy of the dealer. Anyone else with transmission problems?
  • Options
    tomw11tomw11 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    I've got a 2000 Black GLS - most options except PCS. With the chrome wheels this is a very sharp car. Overall, I'm happy with this car except I'm noticing a rumble coming from the rear end as mentioned in another posting. The noise occurs when decelerating and nearly at a stop. I haven't gone to the dealer yet as I'd like to learn others experiences with this problem beforehand.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    mosaixmosaix Member Posts: 106
    Black 2001 GLS with dark grey interior, PCS package, Bose, and gold emblems. In fact, the only option not on mine was the engine block heater. Took delivery of this black stallion on July 21 and she had 4 miles on the odometer before I took the test drive. Already at 1300 miles and still enjoying this car very much. I ordered and just received the GM service manual for this car($120) and it's really interesting the features and technology that is packed into this car. I've always liked Oldsmobiles and I really hate to see them go, especially now as they have the absolute best line of cars ever.
  • Options
    GM will lose a lot of car sales when Oldsmobile dies. Very short sighted move, but given the times I think GM had no choice. Hopefully some of those future Oldsmobiles will find their way to Saturn or Buick.
  • Options
    rickytbonerickytbone Member Posts: 3
    hello,im new to this sight but i like it already. not to many sights out there to talk about oldsmobiles just wanted to tell about my intrigue 1999 gx about 70000 on it.drive far to work.great car so far no problems except brakes,fixed that though with upgrade to slotted rotors,and super stop pads(rabestos)also put on 17 enkei rims and toys tires
  • Options
    mosaixmosaix Member Posts: 106
    Does your 99 have the 3800 V6 engine or the 3.5 liter DOHC V6? I bet those rims look interesting on that car.
  • Options
    ian18ian18 Member Posts: 133
    Would you tell us what the brand is and where you got the slotted rotors from? My '98 Intrigue has now reached 55,000 miles. I am curious as to what regular maintenance you performed during your ownership.
  • Options
    rickytbonerickytbone Member Posts: 3
    YES MY RIMS LOOK GREAT. YOU CAN SEE A PICTURE OF MY CAR AND RIMS ON WWW.CARDOMAIN.COM.GOTO MEMBER PAGES AND LOOK UP OLDS INTRIGUE MY CAR IS THE ONE THAT SAYS HIFONICS POWERED.THANKS FOR LOOKING.
    AS FOR THE ROTORS THEY ARE POWERSLOT ROTORS
    (WWW.POWERSLOT.COM) I WENT THREW TWO SETS OF FACTORY ROTORS BEFORE I GOT SMART. ALSO WENT TO SUPER STOP PADS FROM RAYBESTOS (GREAT PADS).
    ALL I DID TO THE CAR SO FAR WAS AN EGR VALVE, WHICH WAS UNDER WARRANY.DOES ANYONE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH WATER COMING IN ON THE PASSENGER SIDE FLOOR PLEASE RESPOND.OOPS MY CAR HAS A 3.8
  • Options
    arnie82arnie82 Member Posts: 27
    After reading your postings regarding rear end noise and cupped tires it is just like my experience with my '00 Intrigue. After two trips to the second dealership I finally got a mechanic to ride along with me so I could tell him exactly what noise I was talking about. It turned out to be a bad rear bearing on the passenger side.
  • Options
    oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I've got 5500 miles on my 2001 GLS and there seems to be a tire going. I get a "wiggle" type vibration above 35. I've got an appointment later this week to have it looked at. Mine has the Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires and personally, I wish Olds would have used better tires than Goodyears on this car. But thats just my opinion.
  • Options
    What are the most important factors in your car-buying decisions? The Chicago Tribune is looking for a ranking of concerns such as safety, price, monthly payment, styling, quality, etc.

Please send your response to jfallon@edmunds.com, or post in Talk to the Press.

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • Options
    cschmidt56cschmidt56 Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I LOVE our 99 GLS.

3.5 L V6
    Black Exterior
    Tan Leather
    Bose
    Chrome Wheels

One of the BEST Oldsmobiles that we have owned. Definately the BEST road car we have owned. It's a car that I can drive all day long and still feel fresh when I get out at the end of the day.

Love the 3.5 V6. has the power of a small V8 and the economy of the V6. Best trip mileage is about 31 mpg, running 92 octane. Average city is about 19-21.

I had to have the new Alternator in mine due to the dimming lights and stuff. Dealer took care of me and fixed it right.

I've also had peeling chrome on the back side of the wheels. Found this at about 19,000 miles. Showed the dealer, and they took care of it no question. Got 4 new wheels with just a signature. I'm getting great service from my dealer!

We currently have 30,000 miles and the car is still tight as new. We are starting to shop for tires and we are thinking Dunlop H Rated SP Sport 5000's, Anyone run these?

Chris
  • Options
    sean258sean258 Member Posts: 5
    Hello all. I bought a used 2000 Intrigue in November of 2001. It has the 3.5 V-6 , Cruise control, A/c, leather seats, steering wheel controls and almost all the goodies. I paid 15K for it. It had 26,000 miles when I took delivery on it and I have almost put 2000 miles on it since I brought it home. It is an excellent car. I love the feel and ride of it. The only minor problem that I have had with it and also with my 97 Malibu is on occasion when I go over a bump like a rail road crossing, the ignition cuts out. The car will start right up, but it is a little disturbing. Other than that, the car is excellent. This is the 2nd Intrigue in the family. My father had bought a 99 Intrigue GS in 1999. He has since sold it to my sister in law and bought a GMC Jimmy. Excellent car. Seeing that Oldsmobile is fading away (Sadly),I guess I will try to keep this one for quite some time
  • Options
    george92george92 Member Posts: 34
    I own a 98 olds intrigu with anti lock breaks with 20000mil When driving over a bump or bumps and applying the breaks at the same time. I hear a springing noise coming from under the front end that last serveral seconds. It only happens when Im hitting bumps and applying the breaks at the same time. I complained about this two yaears ago. service dept told me they couldnt find anything wrong. Otherwise the car rides fine. Is there anyone who might have a idea what the springing noist is. Thanks
  • Options
    lh1550lh1550 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a sweet 99 loaded GX (everything but leather). Was a lease 3 year car with 56,000 miles. Very clean and tight. Drives great. After pulling off freeway it began to change gears very roughly and I heard a strong whinning noise coming from the back of the engine, in the Trans. I turned the Trac Off and the noise went away and the car would shift smoother.
    Took it to Goodyr and they put it on computer. They got a 1811 error code. Their book doesn't show that error. They think it just may be a sensor.
    Has anyone had this problem and what is the fix?
    Thanks

Larry
  • Options
    delrickdelrick Member Posts: 105
    Took delivery on our 2002GL in December

Ordered after Thansgiving, built 12/01/2001, delivered on 12/28/2001

Silver w pewter leather interior

heated/power seats, moonroof, Bose, spoiler, PCS

Turned in leased '99 GL

Gold w cloth tan interior

3.5L, moonroof, Bose

Great looking, driving cars. GM is run by dolts to dump this marque.
  • Options
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • Options
    chrisw8chrisw8 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Im new to this so bear with me.I LOVE my car ,sent olds a-bunch emails saying its a mistake to end this wonderful car!! I bought mine in dealer stock he only had 3 left forest,white,and black.I have the car 2 years and no problems.The car is FUN to drive my boys love it when i go fast down the N.J.Turnpike,(watch out troopers)only kidding!! GM is making a mistake ending OLDS!!
  • Options
    lee_hermanlee_herman Member Posts: 3
    In response to george92, have your dealer check out service bulletin 01-05-23-O11A. I had my dealer install a new brake caliper service kit, as per the bulletin, and the problem has been largely (but not completely) eliminated.

Lee
  • Options
    jybnashjybnash Member Posts: 4
    Haven't been around much. I've been too busy putting 40,000 miles on my intrigue this year. We bought our 99 with just under 50,000 one year ago today. We have a GLS with everything except a spoiler. At 93,000 we've done regular oil changes, front brake pads(word of advice, use thread locking compound on the bolts that hold your callipers to the hub assembly), a cam position sensor($32 and 10 minutes labor), a set of tires, tranny flush, power steering flush, coolant flush, and a few car washes. I think I'm due for a tie rod end on the right side and an alignment. I bought high performance tires that I really appreciate.(No more squealing around the corners.) The sunroof switch is a little sticky on the close. Other than that, there is nothing to complain about. I get about 20-25 around town depending on ac use and how much I rod it. I get 25-32 on the highway depending on speed, ac use, and how many hills I'm climbing. I check my mileage every time I fill up. I'm a nut that way. My brothers love to borrow my car. I don't like to drive rentals because it is a chore compared to my Intrigue. The climate control is picture perfect and the abs kicks in at the right times. When I drive in the snow and ice the traction control does it's job. I anticipate another 100,000 miles at least before I move up to an Aurora or another Intrigue. I wish I could find a chip for the computer and ditch the 110 mph governor. I also love making people stare wide-eyed while I leave them. There is a certain satisfaction that I thoroughly enjoy. If you have any questions about your cars as they approach their higher miles, chances are I've been there already. From what I've seen, you have nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    indrgbindrgb Member Posts: 115
    Hello everyone. I just purchased a used 2002 GLS with 29,000 miles. I've only had it for a short time, but so far I love it. It has all options except the gold badging. I did a lot of research and it came down to the most car for the money. I've had many Oldsmobiles and have had very good luck. I also have a 2000 Silhouette that's been good. Yeah I know if I tried to sell it soon I would take a beating, but I plan to keep it for many years. Camry and Accord might be more reliable, but they are so dull and expensive I just couldn't do it. The Regal is dated and the one I drove did not handle well. The Grand prix is nice, but seemed to be smaller inside than the Intrigue. The Sebring is nice, but I didn't see very many around here. I had a Taurus once and had bad luck.

The sales process went pretty well, excpet the dealer tried to sell me an extended warranty instead of transferring the existing 5yr/60k warranty. The dealer said I needed to get consent from the previous owner and they would be unwilling to do it. After contacting the Olds 800 number, I found a completely different story. They said I could transfer it by having the dealer fill out a from from the GMPP web-site (which I found for the dealer) and mail it in with a $35 check for processing. That's been done and I will verify it was done in a few weeks.

I have some questions, but I think I will post on the main board later.
  • Options
    american_idleamerican_idle Member Posts: 7
    Mine is ruby colored, bought last September with 33000 miles on it. The idea to consider this model was based on a favorable Consumer Reports mention. I had been driving a 90 Bonneville for 10 years and decided to upgrade, finally. I thought I was going to downsize a bit but the Intrigue is almost as big.
    It's a great looking car but I wish the alloy wheels were a different design. The seating position and visibility are big pluses. I like the handling and smooth strong engine but would rather have a bit less road feel and noise. I really don't like the center dash controls (radio and HVAC system) much; more busy and complicated than it needs to be. Having upgraded the door speakers at least makes CDs sound great but the FM quality is mediocre. The trunk passthrough is nice but the actual trunk opening and capacity is more restricted than it should be for a car of this size.
    I could go on but you get the idea. The Intrigue turns out to be a mixed bag that I will probably live with for a few years, anyway. If reliability starts to become an issue, away it goes.
  • Options
    taycrontaycron Member Posts: 65
    It's kind of odd because it sounds like you don't like your olds because of the Hvac controls and radio (I replaced my radio).. I think the trunk is fine.. It sounds like your issues are minor at best.....
  • Options
    queenfanqueenfan Member Posts: 6
    I bought my 1998 Olds Intrigue GL on September 14, 2001. It had just over 31000 miles on it. It's the Bronze Mist color which is sometimes called Dark Medium Lichen. All I know is it's a different color in nearly every light. It's so cool and such a looker. I'm now in my mid-20s and all my friedns are jealous of her, even one with a convertible! I've got leather, the Bose CD system, and the on steering wheel audio controls. I had an 88 before this and loved the serious engine, and while many other cars may have a similarly snazzy engine, very few have the audio controls which, I must admit, have spoiled me terribly. I'm up to 85000 miles now. I've seen cars in town advertised for sale with 195000 miles on them--that's my goal!
  • Options
    cory00glcory00gl Member Posts: 2
    Well I just bought my car about 2-3 weeks ago. Ruby/maroon? in color, Grey interior. Just clicked 59,xxx miles overall great shape. But like others headlight flickering is a big pain and I am actually finding out about that today. I was amazed at how this motor pulls you along. My previous car before this was a eagle talon tsi and that had enough "go fast" goodies to make it quick but this car goes just as good. We just had a baby last december so no more 2 door cars and turbo's and all that stuff. Well, Just thought I'd say hello. Doesn't look like to many people post on here anymore.
This discussion has been closed.