Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Meet the Owners

2»

Comments

• toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    First, keep in mind that you have about 5x more volume to cool in the Seq than in the camry. Second, check the rear A/C controls and make sure that the fan and temp controls are set to cold and the fan is set to high. Lastly, try using the recirc. button on the dash for the A/C. It often cools much faster as it is cycling the already cool air rather than trying to cool the hot outside air.

Hope this helps.

ken
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Not sure on the 05's but here on edmunds, they sat that there is a TSB out for the AC unit. Not sure what the dealer does though,.
  • nancyaznancyaz Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2006 Sequoia limited and have 1000 miles on it. I am experiencing the same a/c issue. I too live in Az. It doesn't feel like it has an adequate volume of air coming from the vents. I plan to take it to the dealer. Did you get your problem resolved?

Just got rid of' my 2004 Lexus RX330 - to upsize to the Sequoia. I also get a vibration in the gas pedal if I don't turn off the overdrive. Do you get that? I'm also not very impressed with the horsepower. My 6 cylinder Lexus kicked this Sequoia's butt in acceleration. Also - have you pulled anything with yours- I towed 2000 pounds uphill ? Again, I'm not impressed.

Other than the things mentioned above, I absolutely love it!
  • snoopy31snoopy31 Member Posts: 3
    :mad: As a new owner, I purchased a 2005 Sequoia in August of this year. I now have 3523 miles on it and am still having problems with a front end vibration between 60-65mph. The dealer has, supposedly, rotated all the tires(Dunlop) with a re-balance of all. Also a front end re-alignment as the steering wheel was not centered and it tended to wander off the right side of the road. The dealer wanted to blame it on the crown of the road, however, I checked it in a mall_level_ parking lot with the same results, veering to the right. Also the gas gauge went to empty despite the fact that the tank was 3/4 full. Knowing electronics as I do, I know this will happen again. I know the problem is the sending unit in the gas tank but that will require a major job. I have had the vehicle back to the dealer twice and a third visit is in the wind. Should the tires be the problem then I will contact Toyota Customer Relations and if they don't address the problem then it's on to NHTSA as it could be another "Firestone" type problem.

My only regret is that I traded a 2003 Suburban with 11,142 miles on it with NO problems whatsoever. BIG MISTAKE!! MY take on the Toyota Sequoia is that they are highly over-rated and highly over-priced. No wonder they have fairly good trade in values, as they are highly over-priced to begin with. The new 2007 Suburbans will be out this summer and I'm sure I will be going back to a Suburban.
  • harboharbo Member Posts: 136
    My 2002 Sequoia Limited has 69,000 trouble free miles. The Toyota dealer did the $1,500 brake upgrade and replaced the lower ball joints, a $1,600 job, all at their initiation and under warranty. I replaced the original Bridgestone "whatever's" (noisy tire with no traction) at 49,000 miles with the new excellent Michelins.

I run Castrol 5W30 synthetic, 6000 mile changes, Bosch 4 prong platinum plugs and K & N intake system. At 36 psi tire pressure I pull 18 mpg around town (Phoenix) and 20+ on the highway. 70 to 75 mph on highway. I do my own maintenance for fun and satisfaction.

The Sequoia has made several cross country trips Arizona to Colorado to Minnesota to Texas to California etc. Wife loves it, daughter and son-in-law love it and grandkids with all their gear (6 of us) travel with all gear aboard and hangin out the back rack.

For real travel (and hauling, it works as my personal pickup) with the whole family it is much more economical than driving two cars, flying etc.

I'm ready for the next big one with the Toyota Hybrid drive while the 02 gets passed on to the kids.

The only thing I need to know is how to disable the TracControl that cuts out engine power in loose sand and mud. I can shut it off with the switch, but it re-engages at about 18 mph. A nuisance and as it stops forward momentum and next thing you know your stuck. Living in Arizona I do not need 4WD or want 4WD. Higher maintenance and lower gas mileage. Thanks.
  • chihchih Member Posts: 4
    my friend, i can feel for you.

but, my family currently owned 7 toyota and lexus and i owned about 4 different toyota including a 2004 sequoia without any problem. this truck had high trade-in price for a good reason man, but not a reason that you stated above. you are paying overprice my friend, not the truck is over price. here is a trick, do not buy a truck when i first come out. be patient, wait until the dealer knock out 3 to 5 thousand lower than msrp then go for it. SUV is very highly competitive market, how do toyota sell their car and truck if their product were overprice. If your Suburban so good, why GM lost so much money, market share and shut down their production left and right. Dude, good luck with your 2007 Suburbans and hope that GM still #1 on the year to come.
  • rkasperrkasper Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Sequoia and it has been the best vehicle we've ever owned. Never had a problem until recently with the gas gauge. It sounds as if you have the same problem. It reads empty and the gas light is on, but the "distance to empty" reads that there is gas in the tank. Did you ever have it fixed? If so, what was wrong with it? Any info you can provide will be appreciated.
  • bigboytoybigboytoy Member Posts: 6
    We purchased a new SR5. We have had 5 Acura's, a Blazer and a Durango lately. Here is my concern. We are getting 12 mpg overall, half town and half highway driving. Our Durango go 16 mpg overall. The best I did on freeway travel was 18 mpg. I only have 650 miles on the Seqouia. We have experienced no problems with the SR5. It sits most of the time. We will use it to drive to the desert in the winter. We have daily drivers. My only concern is the gas mileage. Will the mileage improve once I get the SUV broken in? :confuse:
  • jerrydockjerrydock Member Posts: 29
    My Sequoia began to get over 18 mpg after 12000 miles
    It now has over 100000...yes we drive it a lot. and it averages 18.4
  • bigboytoybigboytoy Member Posts: 6
    I guess I will just need to put a few more miles on the SR5. It is now getting 12. This is an improvement over the 10.4 that we started with. ;)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national news magazine is looking to interview consumers who have recently (within the past three months) purchased a large SUV and would like to talk about your decision to purchase that car. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, November 8, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.
  • toneloc1toneloc1 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone having problems with their interior door handles, breaking off. I had 3 of the 4 completely break off. Bought it brand new in 02 with extended warranty, it will not cover the repair.
    First, throw away the air filter and replace it with one from K&N.

next, change to synthetic oil.

Good luck.
    Jerry
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    jerrydock, great milage. I have a '01 with 133,000 miles, run mobil 1 synthetic since about 30K miles. The best milage i ever got was about 18 on a cross country trip a few years ago. I drive it around town (90% city, 10% highway) and get about 12-14 mpg.I tried the K&N filter but it had no significant impact on gas milage. I guess every car is different. The greatest impact on milage was when I pumped the tires up to close to the max. It made a difference but the ride was very rough. Dropped down to a lower lever and works OK but I guess i'll have to live with the milage.

I will be trading it in for the new '08s when they come out. I want to tow a bigger trailer so I am looking for the bigger engine and the 10,000 towing capacity.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    After many years of disdain for Toyota we have taken the plunge. We bought a 2007 limited 4WD with the luxury package. Has NAV, 2nd row captains seats and DVD entertainment. This beauty listed at $51,684. The dealer knocked 10 big ones off the price. High gas prices have people spooked. The dealer said they are discounting big time to get rid of their big SUVs and Trucks. I do like the ride and NAV so far. We shall see. Now if I can afford the gas for a vacation :shades:
  • marshurmarshur Member Posts: 1
    I am wanting this 02 Sequoia Limited. But it has 78K miles. I would be financing it for 6 years. Is this too many miles, or should it last? Price is 17,000.00. Also, should I purchase an extended warranty, and through where, dealership, or online?
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I'm sorry, but financing a 6 year-old car for 6 years is a really bad idea. And if you are stretched financially, you really must get a vehicle that will be more fuel efficient than a full-size SUV that will get less than 15 mpg when gas costs $3/gallon.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    That is good advice. Financing a vehicle that old for that long is just asking for problems. As pointed out. No matter how light footed you are that beast is going to get 15 MPG. I am surprised that any legitimate lending institution would go that many years on a used vehicle. This is not some dealer financing is it? Is it a Certified Sequoia from a Toyota dealer?
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    "That is good advice. Financing a vehicle that old for that long is just asking for problems."

Actually, I think it is asking for financial ruin. All it takes is for the truck to need a big repair that the owner can't afford (e.g., the transmission goes). Then the owner still has to make payments for years on a vehicle that isn't drivable and that they can't afford to fix. And now, of course, they can't afford to buy a replacement vehicle. And they are probably upside down on the auto loan -- that is, they owe more on the truck than it is worth. So they can't even afford to sell the vehicle. At that point, they are staring bankruptcy in the face. And it is all so predictable and avoidable.

Furthermore, I bet the interest rate being offered on a six year loan for a six year old truck is truly outrageous as well.

If you are going to spend $17,000 on a vehicle, financed over six years, buy a new (or one or two year old) subcompact car.
  • abbylouabbylou Member Posts: 33
    As for your question on should it last? Yes it will, providing the original owner/(s) have maintained it per the recommended maint schedule. If you don't know and/or it is not certified, I would walk away.

I also agree with previous posts that financing a 6 yr old car is a bad idea with lots of implications as stated. Getting in over your head is a long term nightmare as far as I am concerned. if you can only afford a 6 yr old car with 6 yrs of payments, you will not be able to afford the gas either. My 07 is getting (4x4) approx 14.5-17 mpg at best.
  • lathom1lathom1 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. My wife's vehicle. The passenger side broke off. I am trying to find instructions on how to replace it.
    You will love it. I do have some suggestions.
    First, switch to synthetic oil. I use Amzoil and it increased mileage by 2 MPG.
    I also run a K&N air cleaner.
    When the tires go, switch to the new Goodyear Triplex. Awesome handling.
    I am averaging 20 MPG and I am a fast driver; but don't expect this until you have passed 12,000 miles.
  • trebor129trebor129 Member Posts: 176
    If you have to finance a new car for more than 3 years, you cannot afford it and should look for a lower cost car. A used car really should not be financed more than 2 years. The way the payments work out it is clear than 4 and 5 year financing is a bad deal. I never even heard of a 6 year finance on a new car, let alone a used car.
  • healthnuthealthnut Member Posts: 64
    I hope it isn't my 2002 Sequoia I sold to a dealer in Delware and went to dealer auction 3-4 months ago... that thing had all kind of hacked up electrical problems do to being pimped out.... It would die after 2 days of sitting. :sick: that was about the same miles too... good luck with that! :sick: :lemon:
  • morgan12morgan12 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any advice on an easy way to do this? Maybe from another year Seq or Sienna? Need it done for kids access to 3rd row.
  • mander1mander1 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2002 Sequoia SR5 with a sunroof when you open the doors, the lights over the rear seats turn on but the two map lights over the front seats do not, it is very dark and seems that they should. The dealer tells me that the front lights are not supposed to come on with the doors, but I had a 2005 tundra that did. Can anyone tell me if is just the way they made these and corrected in later years?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.