Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I drove over a repaved road while it was still wet

gnolamgnolam Member Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Honda
I immediately took my car to the local car wash and the detailers were able to remove the caked on gravel on the body, after a regular car wash failed to do so. I probably lost most of clear coat. However, they told me that they are not equip to clean the bottom of my car. Even though one can see the dry gravel on the bottom, I am worried about the extra weight and aerodynamic drag. Can anyone recommend how I can possibly get the dried gravel removed?

Comments

• Options
    phillipmphillipm Member Posts: 32
    I have a 307 cubic inch GM motor and have been unable to set the timing because the distributor is stuck in the intake manifold. Can't get it to turn as it appears the aluminum shaft of the distributor has seized to the intake. I loosened the hold-down bolt and tried really hard to turn the distributor but it's STUCK. Any suggestions or hints on how to loosen a stuck distributor?
  • Options
    blarg1blarg1 Member Posts: 59
    Let me get this straight, you drove on a wet gravel road, and are worried about weight and drag on the bottom of your car. Duh, go to all the gas stations and get the super deluxe car washes. Eventually you will find one that has underbody sprayers. Drive slowly over these sprayers. Go around a couple times. If that doesn't work, Go to a do it yourself car wash and pump quarters into the machine.

How much gravel do you think is down there? It takes a couple hundred extra pounds to really affect gas mileage. Go to a lawn and garden center and find out how much a couple hundred pounds of gravel really is, and if you really have that much stuck on the car. As far as aero drag, don't make me laugh. If anything, you just got free rust proofing for a couple weeks.

Now, if you ran through asphalt, the black stuff, you want to get that off by applying various asphalt remover that you can pick up at Pep Boys. All the car washes in the world won't do anything for oil based stuff.

For me, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you insist, have someone put it up on a lift and scrape it down.
  • Options
    SPYDER98SPYDER98 Member Posts: 239
    I understand your last question question...but to worry about weight and aerodynamics????? come on now!

I recommend doing some community service..to see what other people out there have to worry about..
  • Options
    sp01sp01 Member Posts: 81
    over here!

I'm going back to "BAC Level" for a breather!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well look guys, everybody has something they need to learn about. This is your opportunity to be helpful.
  • Options
    SPYDER98SPYDER98 Member Posts: 239
    Did'nt mean to come across that way..
    It was still early and my chair was'nt warmed up yet!

I would recommend going to a car wash and spending 10 bucks with the pressure washer. That should blow most of it away and rest should come off over time. With rain, snow, sleet..etc...

In the mean time...your drag coefficient rating will drop .000000000000000003746 ;-D
  • Options
    bornagainbornagain Member Posts: 38
    The only was to solve this is to REVERSE TIME. Suggest you return to the scene of the unfortunate incident...DO NOT drive forwards across the affected area. Instead BACK UP TO IT SLOWLY. Bring a container of water and RE-WET the pavement. Now SLOWLY drive BACKWARDS over the wet pavement. You may have to repeat this several times unless you happen to recreate the scene IDENTICALLY the first time. Good luck!
  • Options
    vguardvguard Member Posts: 78
    someone did not try and charge you $300.00 for the "undercoating".

can you tell I learned that lesson the hard way?
  • Options
    What can we say -- it's Friday the 13th.

Sylvia "Talk to the Hosts Part Three" Apr 13, 2001 9:24am

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    What can we say -- it's Friday the 13th.
    Sylvia "Talk to the Hosts Part Three" Apr 13, 2001 9:24am

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    OK...I'm sorry for doubting you. I take back all the bad things I said about you :)
This discussion has been closed.