Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Diesels, who is king, Cummins, Dmax, PSD

2»

Comments

• bmaigebmaige Member Posts: 140
    Anyone other than me irked that no independent lab tests and reports fuel mileage on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks? The rationale years ago was that they were work trucks, I suppose, but now since many 1/2 ton pickups are little more than cars with beds more serious casual haulers (those pulling campers, cow trailers, horse trailers, etc.)are using them. That number includes me and I'd like to be able to compare mileage figures like I can for automobiles on sites like Edmunds.
  • jwhaelen1jwhaelen1 Member Posts: 27
    The New Cummins ISB will have 350 HP and approx. 650 LB FT of torque!It's a totally new block design. Check it out at this site: www.car-truck.com, and type in "Cummins diesel" in the search block if you don't believe it. They're already out there in some of the Dodge fleet vehicles. YEE-HAA!! Look out Chevy & Ford fans!!!On a more somber note: There is also a (bad) rumor (I hope it's only a rumor) that Chrysler will be phasing out the Cummins by the end of the year 2004 in favor of a Mercedes Benz V-8 diesel(Yuk!)or a Detroit diesel(preffered if they do change it).Let's hope they DON'T!!!!Let's keep an American Diesel engine in an American Truck where it belongs!! $#@!!%^%$ Germans(Daimler) are trying to take advantage of the situation!!! If I wanted a German diesel powered truck,then I would buy a German truck!!!! That would never happen anyway. 'Nuff said. (I know,Dodge is part German now,UNFORTUNATELY!!) "Cummins Power Forever"!!!
  • bdpotterbdpotter Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have the fuel mileage on the Chevy 2500HD Duramax?
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    I have a Chevy 2500HD Ex Cab Long bed and have just computed the mileage of 17.9 in mixed driving. The truck has almost 4k miles on it.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    I believe that Cummins already has a cotract for the next generation Ram. I believe that it is more recent than the Mercedes or Detroit Diesel rumors.

Mercedes Benz now owns AND controls Chrysler. I hate to say it but Chrysler /Dodge/ used to be american but now its a german company.
  • badrammanbadramman Member Posts: 61
    I agree jcmdie,

I'll have to seriously consider if I want a Dodge truck again. I haven't had many probs. with mine, but I don't like what the F--KING [non-permissible content removed]'s are doing to the Ram. They are changing a tried and true product and I don't think that's smart. I believe they are going to lose a large percentage of their followers.

On the note of the diesels, Around here( Hershey/Harrisburg PA) I have NEVER seen a Duramax. About 98% are Cummins and the other 2%...PowerStrokes. I believe the reason is that the Dodge/Cummins is about $8-10,000 CHEAPER than a PowerStroke with the same options, at least at the dealers around here.
    Since I do not have any experience with the Dmax, I will trust your opinions on it.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Duramax's running all over the place here. (Denver) PSD's too. (And Cummins)
  • countsmackula1countsmackula1 Member Posts: 61
    You guys know that the Duramax is made by Isuzu, right? I didn't read this whole thread--so someone may have already said so. However, this is not a bad thing-Isuzu has 40 some- years of diesel experience. And guys, I know some of you think German -made(putting a Benz diesel in a Dodge) is not for you , but think about it --they invented the diesel engine! (Engineer Rudolph Diesel)They have been building them for almost all of their 115 year-history! I think they've probably picked up a thing or two, know what I mean? The question is , if Cummins had been replaced by M-B. would we have paid more for the M-B name.Of course. A friend has a 84 Benz diesel(car of course) with 252,000 trouble free miles and 28 miles to the gallon all the way. I'm no expert, but I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a bad diesel truck engine(except maybe a French-built one) , but who needs anything from them, anyway.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    "dodgeram" said the new rams would be arriving in fall of 2002. If the heavy trucks are being redesigned for the 03 year, then they should be on the lots by fall of 02. There are 02's on the lots already (not rams, but other models).
  • jwhaelen1jwhaelen1 Member Posts: 27
    I'm now considering getting a 2003 Ram 25/3500 W/ the Cummins,of course.But,I'm still a little skeptical about the front bumper and the "crying" headlight design. Look real close at the bottoms of them,they look like they're forming tears. Hopefully they'll at least change the bumper slightly for the 25/3500's and fill in that big gap.However,I do like the fact that a totally new,quieter running(much quieter)) 6.1L Cummins is going into them,and not the MB. Appearently the MB is too big,heavy,& expensive to put into them,and won't sell fast due to the added cost,even more than the Cummins! From what I've read on the latest "Buzz" links so far.Looks like Cummins is here for awhile(unless Dodge breaches contract;That could get real ugly for DC).
This discussion has been closed.