Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Freelander

Comments

• noeshnoesh Member Posts: 1
    Does any one know how to reset the ABS function after the broaches has been replaced????? It is a 1999 model!
  • tiredoflrtiredoflr Member Posts: 40
    I am very ready. I spoke to a lawyer this weekend as my 2002 freelander has been in the shop over 25 times for a variety of problems. Not only did Land Rover install a strut backwards and let me drive away, they installed a faulty steering column as well. Right now I am driving a loaner car as my car has gone into 'limited performance mode' for the second time in two weekds (btw, both time were on the Massachusetts turn pike during rush hours 8 am and 6pm, and my life was in danger both times.....); This happening two weeks after my full transmission was replaced (which I had to fight the Land Rover extended coverage as I got my 60,000 mile fluid switch at 63,000- isn't that some bullsh**) This car and the dealerships have done nothing but cause me stress and aggravation. I believe that we can really make this work. I have media packs that I also intend to send to every reporter in the MA and RI area with all of my invoices and email to the Land Rover owner asking for help. I have a very good lawyer that we can contact who specializes in class action.
    I'm very much interested and have a lawyer that we can use....I've gone through hell and almost been killed b/c of my car failing.....
  • msouthwmsouthw Member Posts: 14
    Please keep me posted. Msouthw@aol.com. I am in NJ area and will do whatever I can to help. I would love to give u my number but I think they frown upon that here...
  • ritadanielsritadaniels Member Posts: 15
    A good way to start with a major complaint would be to start a petition. Anyone know how to get one started via email .. Then we can send it directly to Land Rover... just maybe this would get their attention..
  • dhammonddhammond Member Posts: 1
    Hi.....The same thing has just happend to me. I have a 2002 freelander and 2 days ago at 51,000 miles This happend to my car. The bad thing is I have only had it for 5 months. Is there any recourse for us?...........Donna
  • dbfinlaydbfinlay Member Posts: 13
    If you are finding the engine failure before the warranty expires, you are lucky. Land Rover will fully honor the warranty up until the last day, and then drop you like a hot potato the day after it expires. (In the end I did get 25% discount on my third motor which failed 20 days after it's coverage) I'm a little concerned for you if you still have the original tranny. Not HIGHLY concerned however, because they were mainly having a problem with 2002's, and the tranny got updated. Everyone with a replacement has an updated unit that should last. Let me ask you this ......Point the vehicle up a hill and proceed from a stop. Does the vehicle shake at all? That's the first sign you have the bad version. My suggestion: even if it doesn't, register a written complaint of shaking while acceleration up hills with the dealer, that way if the tranny goes after warranty expiration, you might get some partial coverage (with a fight). Cheers, Dave
  • rahmenarahmena Member Posts: 1
    Hi my name is Ms. Wilson and I live in Philadelphia. I own a Land Rover Freelander 2003. When I brought my car in 2003 everything was fine. One year later the engine light was coming on. It was taken back to LR 3 times before they discovered a gas leak. He told me that the car was unsafe and he gave me a loner. I went through Pennsylvania Lemon Law and sued LR for a small amount. The Lawyer suggested that I should take the money and not worry about a new car at this point as it is still under warrenty. I took the deal. Now in 2006/2007 I am having more engine problems. The antifrezze contiues to leak out and the car overheats. I have 47,800 miles and LR suggest that I need a new engine and i should bring it in to be repaired. It will take 6-8 weeks to complete but we can not give you a loner for that long period of time.LR of Wilmington DE (thats where I brought that piece of sh***. So yes I am ready for a class action law suit. When I asked what happens when my warranty is up and I am still having the same problem what do I do. They told me that I would be out of luck at the point. I really believe that the public needs to know whats going on. I have emailed my local news station with no reply. So I think that if we get enough people and as I see there are plenty of people with this same problem we can do this people. DONT LET LR GET AWAY WITH THIS! ITS TIME
  • wdormanwdorman Member Posts: 7
    I have had nothing but problems with my 2002 Freelander. Everything from the transmission to the windshield wipers. Right now my SES light is on, My windshield wipers, heater, heater core and blower, windows, sunroof, and stereo all do not work. My tranmission dropped out within the first few months of driving it off the lot. I have replaced my fuel pump, starter, battery, etc. Any solutions?
    Join us in a petition for a lawsuit! Contact attorneys. Have you seen the RIDICULOUS amount of people complaining on this site? Help us find an attorney who will take this on :)
    I have received a contact from a lawyer friend for another lawyer who specializes in class-action lawsuits. I will be contacting him and then, hopefully contacting all of you. It is going to a be a long process, but with this, and any media attention you can try to get (I'm going to send my story along with all of the invoice copies and emails to the owner of LR-Hanover to reporters on local news stations). I think we are all in the same boat in saying that our rights as consumers (93A) have been violated in one way or another. I just don't want any other people to have to go through this abuse. I'd also like to get out of this car, but I'm stuck with it b/c of it's poor trade value. Together, this can be a successful, landmark lawsuit. I would like to have the lemon-law revamped so that car companies can no longer stick it to the consumer. I'm fired up about this and truly believe in my convictions. So pass the class action information onto anyone that you think will fit. I have created a seperate email account for all class action inquiries where I can put your emails and then, the correspondences. This will help our lawyer get organized on just how many people he is working with. The email address is landrover_lawsuit@hotmail.com
    I look forward to hearing from all of you. Thanks :lemon:
    How does one sign up for the petition?
  • tpeeltpeel Member Posts: 17
    Hi guys,

I filed a complaint with the DMV (attorney general)of New York back in December. They have contacted me and are going to contact the Land Rover dealer directly with the complaint. Seems like they are going to pursue this. I've also contacted the local news stations too.
    My dealership instructed me to contact my state Attorney General as well. They know this model has serious issues, hence the reason it was only in production for a few years in the states. :(
    I have to do that as well, it's the one thing that I haven't done yet. I tried to trade it in and the other dealerships pretty much laughed at me.....the value is so far below what I owe that I will never recover from this. I am currently working towards a class action lawsuit. Please email me at landrover_lawsuit@hotmail.com I am keeping all people interested in order to have a list compiled for the attorney. Hopefully we can get this resolved. :lemon:
  • kitten2kitten2 Member Posts: 14
    Can this CLASS ACTION SUIT be international. I'm not joking, I'll head it up if necessaary. I am from Canada and have a 2002 Freelander and after 4.5 years of small to medium sized headaches, the head gasket blew out and the liner in the engine moved causing my coolant to leak into my oil and then causing my oil and coolant to leak into the engine...end of story...my engine is gone!!! replacement value thru dealer 12K(CAD). Value of the Freelander prior to this was 9K. These cars did not do well for good reason and I don't understand how a vechile with no warning can deteriorate so quickly on a "quality car".
    Hey,

I tried to email u but it says "bad address". Try me if u can @ Msouthw@aol.com
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You need to enter the @ by hand if you took the addy off the screen. :)

tidester, host
    I did email you at landrover_lawsuit@hotmail.com, but no reply yet. My lawyer told me we should piggy back our cases together as a Noth American Class Action Suit. Obviously they proceeding would be different, but to have the support of fellow consumers across the border would make each case stronger.
    Oh, sorry, I thought I replied to everyone. I am glad to join or start a class action. I have about 6 other people that have emailed me expressing extreme interest. Let me know.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    For a different slant on class actions and a fun read, try the The King of Torts by John Grisham.
  • ritadanielsritadaniels Member Posts: 15
    Please make sure to include me in this....
    OK, I filed my official report with the Massachusetts Attorney General's office and I have contacted a 'consumer rights reporter' in Boston. Has anyone gotten the class action rolling yet, or should I still pursue finding one? Let me know at landrover_lawsuit@hotmail.com
    Thanks Everyone! :sick:
  • dbfinlaydbfinlay Member Posts: 13
    I was assuming you were in pursuit of representation. I believe Massachusetts is a good state for class action. Can you pursue? david@campybike.com Thanks, Dave
    I sent in my complaint to the Ohio Attorney General Mark Dann today.
    My lawyer has asked to speak to someone else's lawyer who is also pursuing class action to see what they can do together. Are you willing to provide your Attorney's info? I am aware of a great lemonlaw attorney out of California, but has an office on the east coast. If you got my email, could you reply to it so we can discuss things in more detail thorugh email.
    Hi 'Kitten2' I have a few emails in my inbox @ landrover_lawsuit@hotmail.com I wasn't sure which one was you directly, so I didn't respond. Could you send another email to me so that I know. I will be happy to use a lawyer who is associated with your in California. I've been having a hard time getting a response. I know that thes types of cases can be messy and many attorneys don't want to get involved. I think someone was saying that you have to make sure to hand type in the @ sign in the email b/c it will not copy/paste into the email....anyway, I'll look for your email and then we can go from there. I have a few other people who are definetly in with us as well. Giddy up....time for LR to face the music! Thanks
    Hi jimny,
    We are all working together on this forum to organize something. I have an email; landrover_lawsuit@hotmail.com
    (make sure you type in the @ sign if you copy/paste, as it does not copy it) Send me an email when you can if you are interested. I will let everyone know, as soon as I do, what our next step needs to be. Thanks!
    If anyone knows of any Canadian consumers (or is one), please reply to me here as i am trying to organize a class action in Canada. 2 cases being filed simlutaneously in North America should make for some strong action.
  • lakewoodlakewood Member Posts: 26
    You need a legal firm. Land Rover did not participate in arbitration in "good spirits" in my opinion. My car was diassembled till about 12 hours before the arbitration meeting and you need to bring the car to the meeting - on a truck or in pieces unless LR agrees you do not need to. Search for lemon law attornys on the web. It is less painful and you will not pay mileage. Yes, the Law Firm gets some money but, that can be negotiated with lawyer and LR. Mediation is not for the big problems. Small stuff. :lemon:
    So I figured that I would let you all in on what I got for a weekend present. I had full intensions of attempting to trade my car in this weekend during the Presiden't Day sales....as I'm obviously not getting anywhere with LR. While backing out of my driveway, on my way to work (new job that I just started last week), I saw a huge oil spot in the snow......I pulled back into my driveway, looked under the front and there was oil-like substance spewing out from the front casing part underneath. Sound familiar anyone?
    Keep in mind, within the 2 months, I have had my entire transmission replaced, my 'bushees' replaced, but that ended up being a problem with my throttle......ummmmm, do they even know what they hell car I'm driving...anyway, I'm obviously frustrated. I called and told them that the keys were on the front seat.....I can't believe this bs. I'm posting this on the forum and on my other pages as well. Thanks for listening everyone
    Signed - the car victim
    Bridget
    What is the status on the class action. My 2002 Freelander SE is almost 5 years old, but also has 90,000 miles. I believe because of this it does not qualify for the lemon law. Any ides?
    :cry: We'll, mine has 87000 miles on it and is a 2002 model as well. It's really going to be a class action regarding the violation of 93A, which is the Consumer Protection Act. We are not going to push the lemon law, although, I hope that this class action may force a revamping of the law that these manufacturers know how to get aroun...in order to stick the responsibility onto the consumer. I was waiting on a woman from CA who said that she had a lawyer who had an office in Boston. I haven't heard back and I'm still seeking counsel. I hope that she gets back to me. The lawyer friend that I spoke to, he doesn't handle this type of stuff, but he suggested we take the 93A route.
    I briefly spoke with a lawyer in town about this. We definately need people to join together. The Freelander is was a terriabel vehicle (Consumer reports stated that over 60% 2002 owners reported problems with their vehicles. The most of any vehicle made for that year. Considering the cost we all paid for our vehicles something needs to be done.
    Be prepared for a new engine. That's exactly what happened to me. The engine liners are know to shift and move on this model and the head gaskets are also known to blow which means you will leak fluids in the engine from the oil and from where the coolant is thus causing a "spill". Under my hood was completely soaked in oil - like an explosion. I still haven't heard back from you via email...kitten2
    I did get back to you at your hotmail account again...please check as I am anxious to get discuss this with you and get going on something. His office is on the east coast, not sure if it's boston...but he travels everywhere.
    I am pursuing this through a firm. Once again any Canadian consumers looking to jump aboard, please contact me.
    Sorry, I was confused, I thought I had spoken to another woman in California too (CA) sorry about that. I did reply to your email via my hotmail...( I think yesterday...)
    I just sent another one two minutes ago. I am still not getting a whole lot of feedback from attorneys here so, if your attorney can represent all of us...mine as well get going and do it that way. I'm up for the best solution!
    WDorman - Is this guy representing you?
    OK, service just called. It's a seal on my engine that has let go......causing the leak....but he issists that it has nothing to do with the lining or the head gasket....
    Another thing....he mentioned..'have you had your timing belts done ($1800); it is a scheduled maintenance at 72,000; He then asked why no one had mentioned it.....well, my car has been there since around 60,000 miles....so I don't know why he didn't tell me....Is this guy serious....I guess he's trying to exxonerate himself from any further costs...what an ***hole! I wanted to try to trade my car in this weekend.....but, forget it now.....I hate this company so much it hurts.-
    I still see no email from you...I'll keep checking. I have posed the question to my attorney about reprsenting all interested parties for an International Class Action and am waiting to hear back. You said you had some names...how many people are we looking at?
    Wouldn't it be the seal around the head gasket? I don't know much about cars, but I do know the engine design is poor and all the complaints and bulletins I have read are about fluids leaking into the engine. I'll see about the timining belts on my vehicle. Do you have that in writing somewhere that it is scheduled maintenance?
    Have you pursued anything yet with this lawyer?
    He said that is should be in my owner's manual...you know, that thing you read every weekend. ......right....
    Why does he tell me this almost 20000 miles after when my cars been there since around 60000....? Anyway. I don't know why the email hasn't gone through. I have sent two. You can send another with your number if you want (I know that you cannot post numbers here.) I'll call today if you like and we can get the ball rolling. Bridget
    I did get it and just replied.
    Kitten, I think it's about 9 of us so far, but there are other forums. Can we start a petition forum of some sort? I didn't know how to start a new discussion. This way people can see it and sign up. I don't know if they will allow that on here or not. We have to find a central point so people know where to get information. We can discuss if we get this email thing figured out.
  • lrjunklrjunk Member Posts: 1
    I'm in. My 03 Freelander developed a coolant leak at around 45K miles and has been burning coolant ever since. Land Rover feigned ignorance about the problem although all it takes to diagnose it is a simple Google search. There is a serious design flaw with the Freelander - the cylinder liners drop allowing coolant to leak into the engine.

As for my car, they finally agreed to put in a new engine (the same flawed design of course). Well guess what, 4 days after they supposedly installed the new engine, it's burning coolant again! My belief is they did not install a new engine - either put in a rebuilt one or tried to repair the damaged one.

Land Rover seems completely unwilling to accept any responsibiity for selling a defective product. I think a fair settlement would be reimbursing all owners at least 50% of the purchase price. I'm not holding my breath though. And I will certainly never, ever buy another Land Rover or Ford product.
    Hi lrjunk, if you have not already emailed me and are at all interested in joining our class action, please do landrover_lawsuit@hotmail.com is the email that I am using to organize and keep track of anyone interested. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you
  • coffeegirlcoffeegirl Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I would also like to be a part of the petition/law suit. My 2003 Freelander has broken down 13 times in 18 months. Let me know what I can do? Thanks, Lora
    Thanks, I got your email. We'll talk soon!