Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Freelander

Comments

• eurasianalibieurasianalibi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Landrover Freelander HSE. Purchased the car Dec 2007. No problems at all until 2 weeks ago. Key turns, but doesn't crank/fire up as if something is not recieving or sending something appropriately. 1st thought either battery or alternator was the problem. Called up a friend (Ex mechanic) told me none of those if the radio and lights are working. He told me either the fuel pump or sensors. Let the car sit for 15/20 minutes and started the car, worked ok. He even told me to step on the gas before turning the key to eliminate the fuel pump problem. It started right away. That left the me thinking that the sensors were dirty due to carbon build up. Got those taken care of yesterday. Went to the store for groceries this afternoon, there it was again. Let it sit for 15 minutes and turned the key,it started just fine. I don't know what the probem is, but the miles are low to be having major problems. I only have 55K miles and only used it for a little over a year.

I have had this for sale since December due to coming up traveling plans and can't take the car with me. Now I have to deal with this disaster. I can't sell my car knowing that it has a problem.

Have you had any luck at all on yours? Is the problem identified and resolved? Do you know if there is a lawsuit of some kind going on at the present time? Recalls?

Any info is greatly appreciated
  • shamfamshamfam Member Posts: 10
    Well - here's some info that may be useful to some LR owners. My mom was talking to her car insurance agent. I guess you can file an application with the Bureau of Automtive Repair (B.A.R.) and they have arbitrators hash it out and try to come to a resolution for you. Her agent's daughter just did it and got the sticker price of her car back. I think it's awesome! I just starting filling out my paper work last week. A few more things to add to it and I'm sending it in. I'll keep you all updated!
  • driver68driver68 Member Posts: 3
    I live in Utah, the BAR that I pulled up on the website is out of Sacramento, CA. They directed me to Division of Consumer Affairs in Salt Lake City. I did not get alot of information from the person whom answered the phone, she sent me to one of the investigators and I was told to leave a message. I have talked with this investigator numerous times, when I initially had the problem with my freelander and replacing the engine. LR told the investigator that it was customer neglect and that he had never seen, so much sludge build up. The LR mechanic even went as far as to send pictures of the parts of the FL that had the sludge build up. Im going to try again, to see if I can get anywhere with this. I just turned the FL over to the bank last week, still owing $8500.00 on the original loan and $4000.00 on the engine. the engine total came to $10,000.00 that was for the repair cost and the cost of the rental car for 8 months. Thank you, for any information that you post. I just wonder how we can get them to conform and see that we have all had the same problems. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • KrystiliaKrystilia Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone purchased an extended warranty for their Freelander - from the dealer or via private warranty company? Has this covered repairs? Any experience with these warranties would be appreciated. I don't really want to sell mine as it's paid off but the factory warranty expires this summer and I don't want to get stuck like so many other people with these expensive repairs.

Thanks.
  • cespiritucespiritu Member Posts: 3
    I purchased the extended warranty for my 2002 Freelander when I purchased it Certified Used from our local Land Rover dealership, and let me tell you, it was so worth it! Of course, at the time I was told the extended warranty was much cheaper than now (I purchased my car in late 2005). I was lucky and was able to trade in my car for $5,500 last November. When I added up all the receipts from the numerous times I had to take the Freelander to be repaired, it turned out to be $30,000. The dealership's extended warranty covered just about everything. I just had to pay my deductible of $100. You will just want to make sure that you keep your oil changes up to date. They adjusters ask for that when the engine has to be replaced.
    I just faxed in as much information as possible today. I included a few pages from this site on drivers experiences. I'm hoping they will do a little research and see that its not because of poor maintenance. We maintained our car as you should. I will keep you all posted. I am crossing my fingers that this works!
  • msouthwmsouthw Member Posts: 14
    I can't believe I am here agian! About to find out that the engine needs to be replaced AGAIN (2nd time). Actually, I can't say I'm surprised because for the past 3 years the complaints have continued to come in about this car but I can't afford a monthly payment for something else. So frustrating!

How long did it take to get the issue resolved through BAR? Is this only in California? I am about to google them! Thanks for the info.
  • brown339brown339 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used 2002 freelander in 2003 (it was a year old) and had them include the extended warranty to 100,000 miles. It has been a lifesaver. I had my vehicle serviced at the dealer, so the records were up to date and there were never any arguments. Later in the vehicles life I had some work done by a non-landrover mechanic and they covered that too (it took a little longer for them to get things set, but it was covered.)

Read through the horror stories on some of these forums (personnaly - trans, water pump, 3 windows, sunroof, one caliper, tie rod and some other minor issues) and you want to have a warranty. Mine now has 109,000 miles and it has generally been a good vehicle, but I now consider it a grenade (the sunroof just died - this one was only 2 years old) I will drive until it kicks.
  • awise003awise003 Member Posts: 3
    Hello - I recently noticed a fluttering noise coming from the engine compartment while at idle, but even more so when accelerating. The Land Rover dealership assessed the issue and diagnosed the problem being with the upper intake manifold being internally worn and that my vehicle needs an upper intake manifold plenum. The quote to fix the issue was $1900, which seems extremely high to me. Has anyone had any experience with this? Do you think a qualified mechanic could fix the problem for less? Thanks so much!

2004 Land Rover Freelander HSE
  • ritadanielsritadaniels Member Posts: 15
    I had the same problem with the manifold needing to be replaced, however, at the same time I was told not to put anymore money in my 2002 Landrover Freelander because the transmission was also on it's way out. The costs were going to be well over the value of the vehicle. I just couldn't afford putting more money in this junk when I know there were going to be other things to follow. I work for an Auto Parts company that took the car and did their own diagnostics and confirmed that it was not going to be to my advantage to fix the car.... So, I ended up returning the car to the Dealership and they sold at an auction for $3100.00 (now owe the balance of $5,000) and yes, I now have a charge-off on my credit report. I plan to pay off the charge-off, however, the headache is gone. So, with the way the economy is right now, I have a lower credit score and am working on getting it back up--- it will be a while before I see 700 ever again, but it was worth it...
  • 04freelander04freelander Member Posts: 5
    I owned a 2004 HSE for about 3 years. Had to replace the intake motor 3 times, and the entire intake manifold twice.

It's a know problem with the Freelander.
    My issue isn't resolved yet. The process is suppose to take 40 days. My start date was April 2. I haven't heard anything yet. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing. This is in California, I'm not sure if it applies to other states. BAR is a section of the Better Business Bureau. You should check it out.
    Get rid of it! This is what started with my car and I'm in a mess with it right now. It's sitting in the driveway of my parents house on non op! The engine will sooner or later go out on you.
    If your on number 3 you might be our saving grace for getting something done with the lemon law! I'm at number 2 and cannot/will not be on #3. Seek help through the lemon law.
  • davedibdavedib Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 2002 Freelander with the intake manifold problem. I went right to Land Rover and got caught up in the webs of ROBOT Rep's that open up bogus case files. The best thing to do is keep writing to the FTC,BBB and Land Rover themselves and not give up till you get somewhere because that is what they expect for us to give up and feel there is no where to turn!!!! When are companies ACCOUNTABLE for their PRODUCTS!! :mad:
  • betocbetoc Member Posts: 1
    HELLO EVERYONE!!

I`VE BEEN READING THE FORUMS SINCE BOUGHT MY SE3 ON MARCH, 2004, BUT NEVER POSTED A MESSAGE. MY SE3 HAS NOW 110,000 MILES IN 5 YEARS, AND AT THE BEGINNING I WAS A LITTLE AMAZED ON HOW BAD THE VEHICLE RESULTED FOR OTHERS EVEN THOSE WITH LOW MILLEAGE FREELANDERS. THE COOLANT LEAKING PROBLEM WOULD ALWAYS PERSIST FOREVER AND EVER, THATS BECAUSE THE PARTS RELATED ARE PLASTIC MADE, THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME EVERY 30,000 TO 60,000 MILES, THAT INCLUDES THE EXPANSION TANK, THERMOSTAT AND MAYBE A HOSE, THE REPAIR COST ROUNDED $150 TO $350. BUT, RECENTLY I HAD SOME SEVERE COOLANT LEAKING FROM THE WATER PUMP AND THE LOWER RADIATOR HOSE. FOR NOW, THE LEAKING HAS STOPPED.

ORIGINAL BRAKE PADS FADES TOO FAST, IT HAD COST ME A PAIR OF NEW FRONT ROTORS. BEFORE THE NEW ROTORS, EVERY 5,000 TO 10,000 MILES I HAD TO REPLACE THE PADS. BUY BRANDS LIKE PAGID OR MINTEX THAT HAD LASTED LONGER. I ALSO THINK THE ORIGINAL ROTORS WEARED OUT TOO FAST, SO I FOUND A PAIR OF AFTERMARKET BREMBO ROTORS AND AFTER THAT THE PADS HAS LASTED MUCH LONGER, COST $200.

AMONG OTHER THINGS I'VE CHANGED ARE: THE SHOCKS (AROUND $1,000 AND THE ORIGINALS LASTED THROUGH 80,000 MILES), AND ENGINE MOUNT, A SUSPENSION BAR, A COIL (SPARK PLUG), GAS FILTER, FEW TIMES THE COOLANT TANK /THERMOSTAT, THE MUFFLER BROKE AND WELDED IT, AND OF COURSE THE COMMON MAINTENANCE LIKE THE BELTS, ETC...

THE REASON THAT PUSHED ME TO WRITE, IS THAT I JUST TOOK OUT THE SUV FROM THE SHOP A MONTH AGO WITH THE LOWER RADIATOR HOSE AND WATER PUMP PROBLEM TO STOP THE COOLANT LEAKING PROBLEM, AND THEN THE ENGINE STARTED TO FLOOD WITH NO POWER FEEDBACK. THE SHOP TOLD ME IT WAS THE UPPER INTAKE MANIFOLD (PLENUM CHAMBER?) THAT COST AROUND $1,200 WITHOUT LABOR. IM SO FRUSTRATED, MY SE3 GAVE ME GREAT SERVICE BEFORE THE 100,000 MARK, AND AFTER THAT HAS BEEN A PROBLEM AFTER PROBLEM. AT 120,000 GOES THE BELTS CHANGING FOR ABOUT $1,500-$2,000 AND THAT WOULD BREAK MY ACCOUNTS. IF AFTER THE INTAKE REPLACEMENT IT DOESN`T FAILS SO FREQUENTLY, I`LL KEEP IT, BUT IF ANOTHER THING THING EXPLODES RIGHT AWAY I`LL SELL IT. HOPE MY EXPERIENCE COULD HELP SOMEONE. ATT. BETOC
  • faria917faria917 Member Posts: 2
    hi , I have a 2003 freelander and something happen to my truck that look like is what is wrong with yours, I had to chang the cam sensor.
  • faria917faria917 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 freelander and I am having problem with my power lock, I can lock all doors with my remote but I can open all the doors exept the driver`s door. any body can help-me?
  • granmadgranmad Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Freelander. It is a piece of junk. I had a new engine block put in at about 5000 miles due to coolant leakage. It didn't fix the problem. I still can smell coolant at 108,000 miles. I had the timing belts changed at 75000 at a cost of $1600. One month later the pulley went through my engine. They put in a new engine. Last Wednesday, the fuel line came off while I was driving. I took it to the LR dealership in KS. They supposedly fixed it. Wrong. On Thursday, the fuel line came off again. This time they said that they had to put in a complete new fuel line which meant that they had to drop the fuel tank. After $1000, it is maybe fixed. I haven't driven it far enough to tell. The service advisor at the dealership told me that the Freelander was banned from the United States after about four years due to the many problems that they have. I would like to know if this is true and whether we could file a class action suit against Land Rover for the excessive amount of repairs that the Freelander has required.
  • moe71moe71 Member Posts: 11
    I just had the fuel pump replaced luckily it came under the service bulletin that was just sent out...so no cost...I don't know what to tell you. I have all the same issues, just replaced all my hoses again and still smell coolant. All the hoses cracked because they are junk. I still owe 5k on it and I am trying to hold out as long as I can...but not sure how long I can. I have heard numerous talks of suits...but nothing as of yet that I am aware of.
  • ihatelandroverihatelandrover Member Posts: 7
    I'm still seeing posts from owners that have the coolant leak issue, or just a lemony Freelander in general. :lemon:

Best day I ever had was the day I traded in my 2004 Freelander for a 2009 Subaru Forester. I lost a ton of money on the Freelander, but I bet I would have lost more on repairs if I had kept it. I keep telling people to just dump it and not hold their breath on a class action law suit. You'll sleep better.

I also had the coolant leak issue. I tried working with my dealer and LR North America. Their goals were to keep me confused and for me to buy an LR3. They won't help you. Just keep telling others about your experience with Land Rover -- you can revel the day they go out of business. I'm seeing fewer and fewer of these pieces of junk here on the Eastside of Seattle.
  • minchowminchow Member Posts: 1
    I'm sorry to hear about all the problems that everyone has been having. I have an 05 Freelander and absolutely love it. I have had to replace the front brakes and keep up with regular maintenance. I have not had any problems whatsoever and probably should have never started reading these blogs. Everyone is making me a little nervous but then I remember when people are unhappy with something they [non-permissible content removed] and blog about it,,,.when they are happy with something they just enjoy it. I think that's what I'll continue to do. Good luck to all of you,,,,I wish things had gone better!!!!
  • gdsellergdseller Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I bought a Freelander 04 back in 2006. In the three years that we have had it, my life has been a conitnuous road of pain.

It started out with a simple issue with the door locks. No big thing. Replaced under warranty. Then it started jumping into a downhill descent type four wheel drive mode when you slowed down. It also would stall and just quit while driving. Turned out to be a pump and compression issue. Replaced. Then we had all kinds of issues with the maintenance department and coolant. It kept leaking and you could smell it in the heater. They attempted to fix it several times with no luck. One time they left a rag wrapped around a hose next to the fan belt. Another time they forgot to fix the water resevoir which is why I took it in to begin with. However, they did contact me and say my sunroof was not working and they would fix it. Guess what, when I picked it up it was still broken!! And they had forgotten to put water back into it.

Eventually the heads started making a noise and then valves are gone. It is out of warranty. When I found someone to work on it he found other issues. The valves are gone and the cam shaft is broken. THANKS LAND ROVER!!

I am now in the hole close to $4000 and the vehicle is worth less. I am also still financing it so I have no recourse but to pay to fix it or watch it rust away while writing checks on it.

Run from Land Rover! The products are inferior and the company could care less.
  • itsoverroveritsoverrover Member Posts: 2
    I know exactly how you and your wife feel. I owned a 2004 Freelander :lemon: and loved it for about the first year. Then, sudden disaster. Coolant leaking, fumes coming through the heater... my local Land Rover dealer was basically unresponsive, aside from stating that the vehicle would need a total engine replacement. I still owed $13,000.00! Apparently, from what I've read, most Land Rover dealers are uncooperative and scriptedly in denial. Please check out this web site for the name of an attorney who may be able to help you. He recently worked with me and successfully resolved my situation.

This is happening to too many Freelander owners to be merely coincidental (as other posts here have insinuated). Good luck! :)
    http://www.lemonlawclaims.com/freelander_head_gasket_and_engine%20failure.htm
  • gdsellergdseller Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! I have given up hope on the vehicle and am in the process of minimizing my losses. Maybe I can at least get some of my money back.

I actually thought about getting a new LR2 but have completely soured on the entire Land Rover line. It is sad that such a great name has been reduced to this.
    Yeah, don't get an LR2. I had a 1999 Discovery II that had problems, and in good faith, "upgraded" to a 2004 Freelander because it "fixed" many of the problems associated with the Discovery. When my Freelander started tanking, they assured me that the LR2 "fixed" the problems with the Freelander. Fool me once...

Do what I did and just trade it in for a dependable car. I lost tons of money, but at least it stopped the bleeding. I sleep better now to boot!
  • lr2kutlr2kut Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: I don' t know why it took me so long to post my freelander tale. I bought my 2005 se in feb 2007. The problems started almost immediately with the "service engine soon" light coming on. This happened almost immediately and continued about 2-3 times per month with always the same results-fault codes, and near undriveability. Throw in along the way constant overheating which i think got the thermostat
    replaced and fan belt, too. Constant squeaking of front brakes and a new set at around 15-16K miles, these were replaced once more with no improvement. The truck only had 10K+ miles on her when i bought it, as I think it was a previous service loaner. Also going on it was the sunroof, again replaced. Issues with the tranny, serviced. Then finally the big one-the dealer told me that my engine was gone and that it would have to be replaced. They held on to it for 2 months and still no engine. After over 3+ months in a rental, at their expense, they finally gave me one of their service loaners, brand new LR2. I liked that truck so much that I was able to swing the payment on one. I guess that I got lucky because the dealer was willing to give me $14K for my Freelander, which was still sitting on their lot waiting for an engine. I ended up eating about $2500 on the deal for the LR2 but it was probably the best alternative at the time for a new vehicle, which I bought about 1 year later in Feb 2008. That truck sat for almost 5 months before an engine was found for it. Of course instead of sending the car to auction, it was put back on their lot for resale, it only had about 21K miles on it. They did find someone else to buy this truck because I have seen it around while driving and in for repairs when my LR2 is in for service. I really love my truck and so far have been pretty fortunate as it is mostly Volvo and not Tata on the inside. I was just glad to finally be rid of that truck.
  • pickedanamepickedaname Member Posts: 2
    My wife had purchased a slightly used FL in 2006. Started idling rough so we took it in for some reprogramming recall. Right after that, we started noticing grinding from the rear end (has 50k miles on it). Dealer said 'might just be suchnsuch bearing....if it's gone long enough, may need a new drive shaft which would be $3,000' Won't know until we get it apart. Having been a mechanic previously, and knowing that there were TSB's released indicating [non-permissible content removed] engineering in that specific area of the Freelander, I told her via phone that they can go get *$&%ed. Sounds more like the rear diff to me anyway. I would love to see a driveshaft worth 1500 let alone 3k. The part is a few hundred dollars. The bearing in question simply supports the drive shaft, and it is, in fact, worn, but does not explain the rough grinding noise that only heavy gears stripping can make and only whist turning right. 1 week after that she started losing coolant slowly and her temp gauge would get erratic. replace lost coolant, temp was fine. 1 week after that, engine started tapping when cold. Sounded like tappets in the top end and would go away after warmup. Doesn't go away now, which isn't good.. Land Rover says without the dealer scheduled maint visits they were not going to help. The vehicle was maintained elsewhere and we have the docs. Sorry, but not getting the intake components soaked and cleaned at a specified interval has no impact whatsoever on the crankcase or the cooling system nor does it change [non-permissible content removed] design and engineering. We have stopped the payments on this car. We still owe 12k on the loan and refuse to dumped 10k into repairs when it is just going to happen again.
  • pickedanamepickedaname Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I received no help whatsoever from Land Rover. I see that this vehicle was of very poor design and that I am one of many. I also see that I am starting to experience the engine noise issue that happens right before engine failure (You know, the one I just (today) found splattered all over the internet regarding this KV6). I still owe a 5 digit amount on this fraud of a vehicle, which you do not hold yourselves accountable for, so I will be contacting the NTSB, BBB, The FTC, AG of New York State, the local dealership (to alert them of my campaign which will alert the area as to how well Land Rover stands by its product)... and what other organizations my contacts can suggest to me regarding this issue. While it is still a personal burden for me to bear this undeserved punishment, owing thousands on a vehicle that I can't even sell due to poor engineering, this is now also a matter of general principle, if your company can even comprehend such things.
    If you had any integrity whatsoever, you would furnish me a similarly used better designed LR model as a swap, I won't be holding my breath.
  • spnkygrnspnkygrn Member Posts: 6
    Howard Gutman,Esq. Flanders, NJ. has been handling cases in NJ. I just gave him a complete repair packaged for my 2003 Freelander,been in shop 14 times in 28 months. He's not Class Action, but will handle your claim at no charge. I don't think he's as enthusiastic a representative as this forum apparently needs. I am folowing another lead to representation and I'll get back to the forum with that information if it shows promise. Although, Class Action typically lessen's the individual payout regardless of variances. No matter we need to be heard. Maybe Washington? Secretary of Commerce?
  • mindy2010mindy2010 Member Posts: 3
    I certainly wish I had done further investigation and found this site before purchasing my 2002 Landrover Freelander 3 months ago with 53,000 miles on it!!!! What a complete nightmare just dealt with Landrover North America and they are refusing to replace my transmission...we'll see about that! I am wondering why this is not widely publicized information as of yet? People would stop getting tun into the ground paying repairs on this worthless vehicle! I spoke with an attorney and plan to do whatever it takes to get this publicized by doing a bit of research to find out some more facts like how many had transmission and other serious issues regarding this vehicle and ran into a wall trying to get LandRover to step up to the plate and acknowledge the vehicle has issues and offer some type of compensation! I for one am completely unwilling to sit idle and listen to their mantra of " its out of warranty sorry nothing we can do for you " garbage! I am looking forward to a day very soon when LandRover regrets hearing my name!
  • ballyhooballyhoo Member Posts: 7
    :lemon:
    Just chiming in with this overheating issue. My HSE has been in the shop at Land Rover-Hornburg (L.A.) 3 times in the last month. On first visit was told I needed a new radiator (clogged and leaking) and a new hose which I paid for to the tune of $1700. Temperature gage light came on within two days of receiving my HSE back. Returned to Hornburg two more additional times to only get it back and within two days have the same thing happen. Here I am now three days later after receiving it the last time with the same issue. The service manager alerted me to this issue after I paid for my radiator and this is how I found all of you in these forums and many more on numerous websites, youtube.com, etc. Will be calling Land Rover North America again tomorrow as well as the lawyer posted here - Howard A. Gutman (his info at 2nd link below), the BBB, Bureau of Automotive Repair, the NHTSA, etc., etc., etc....

Wash, rinse, repeat

Land Rover Freelander coolant loss explained - Link

http://www.youtube.com/user/vegas2nt#p/a/u/2/GTtW-qKYtrg

http://www.lemonlawclaims.com/freelander_head_gasket_and_engine%20failure.htm

:lemon:
  • peelanderpeelander Member Posts: 1
    For those of you who want a good laugh, go back to page one and read all the posts from people who are excited about the launch of the Freelander. Quality stuff about how great the features will be.

Too bad the Engines all fail and there is nothing you can do about it. landrover doesn't have the B@#$s to issua na egine recall. the hille descent comes on at it s own free will when you try to slow down. CV boots, rotors, pads, drive components, bets all wear out or break repeatedly and WAY before the recommended service intervals.

i haven't seen anyone else mention this one yet.. The windows all stopped working on my wifes '03. they make agrinding noise and won't move up or down. The worst part is that they won't just stay shut. landrover quoted me $250 each. when its raining sometimes the rear windows fall down an inch or two if you hit a bump. The kids get wet in the back seat. They don't go up on their own so you have to pull over, open the door and pull them up with a hand on wither side of the glass....

this is so fun! i am getting my car to the point where everything has the illusion of being in working order then selling it back to a LR dealership. They can suck it.
  • dellc521dellc521 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2004 FREELANDER Oct 2008 with 49,000 miles as a Certified Preowned which carries the orig warranty, 7 yrs or 75,000 miles. Still under warranty until Oct 2010. The first week i had it, over heated they were nice and replaced the thermastat and gave me a loaner 2008 LR2 with 200 miles on it to ride while it was in the shop, took about a week. Then last year had a recall on the fuel pump, they replaced. Today i had to replace the front brake shoes, drove it about 10 miles and the service engine soon light came on. It has 60,000 miles, sounds like its about to do what everbody in this forum states will eventualy happen to all FREELANDERS. I paid cash for mine, so there's no issue with oweing some bank or finance company. But as soon as i get someone to take care of the light, it will be sold or traded. But the extended warranty at point of sale was $2,700 i can still purchase the warranty until October this year. But why if its going to be in the shop the whole time.
  • landroverblowslandroverblows Member Posts: 12
    yea you need to walk away from this vehicle as soon as you can... i still have my 2003 discovery se7 and it now has 6 lights on steady plus it violently flashes 4 others... the abs modulator that they say fixes the 3 amigos issue is $3000 and the "certified techs" still can't fix your issues... i'm also getting approx 10 mpg now b/c i think the spark plugs and o2 sensors are shot... i'm looking at $300 to fix 8 spark plugs... $550 at a land rover dealer...

these guys are going to be out of a job soon...
  • plastishaplastisha Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2003 Freelander. Love and hate this car. The first year rear door lock would jam. It was under warranty no problem. Then the windows started getting stuck under warranty no problem. Every window has been worked on right side passenger side windows twice. I've replaced my battery 3x. Brakes ware out fast. Had to fix fuel pump because it died on me on the road when I was out of town problem warrant is out. Had to replace thermostat. Engine started knocking needed to be replaced dealership quoted me a price of 12,000. I found one for 3,000 so I replaced my engine. Now the air conditioning system isn't working engine light is on and there is a coolant leak. It has just started to make a tapping noise that used to go away when it warmed up but now its lingers. I have decided not to dump anymore money into this car. It is a nice ride when there are no problem it handles great it looks sharp its just to bad that Landrover has decided not to help their customers who in good faith bought what they thought was a reliable car. DO NOT BUY A LANDROVER!!!!!!!!!! Even if they have fixed problems with their new models, they still left alot of customers in a bind.
    I'm a victim of the Freelander "coolant leak" issue. As with many of you, LR was of no help, and I lost a lot of money.

I received an irritating letter in the mail yesterday from Linda Julyan from Land Rover Bellevue. She wants me to buy a new Land Rover from them. The letter starts:

"Greetings from all of us at our dealership! In a few days you will have driven your 2004 Land Rover for five full years."

Do they really think that any Freelander has lasted for 5 years, or that anyone who suffered for this long would be foolish enough to buy another one? They should keep track of the people that they went out of their way not to help. This way, they can significantly save on postage and trees.

It's like a knife in the side, but still kinda funny. Let 'em waste the postage! :lemon: :lemon:
    I just don't get it. Why in God's name has there not been a recall on this vehicle. I have had coolant leaks, I replace my brakes once a year (and I barely drive the car). I replaced the rear passenger window motor a day after I bought. Two weeks later I had cams replaced. My sunroof no longer works. My rear passenger window no longer works. My defrost button comes on when it feels like! My rear wiper motor is blown. My fuel pump has been replaced. All the hoses have been replaced as the cracked. My driver side door is the only door that unlocks with remote key; I have to unlock the other doors inside manually. I have reported to the transportation board, contacted the lawyer people posted on her...but don't know what else to do. Brought my car in last summer for the fuel pump recall and they gave me an itemized list of repairs that needed to be done...I laughed at them $4K for a car that isn't worth $5.00. We all need to get together and just keep contacting the transportation board, better business bureaus...whatever to get these damn cars fixed and off the road!
  • rovernot10rovernot10 Member Posts: 1
    Why didn't I do the research BEFORE financing my 2003 Freelander 8 months ago!!! The problems have begun and they (the mechanics, the dealer, and all of the other money mongers) are ready to put me on the rollercoaster!!! :cry: It started in September when the fans were running excessively hard... the mechanic quelled that problem; then 1-month later, the temp gauge was reading "red"... the mechanic kept it for 4 days and said he couldn't find the problem... fast forward to now, March, the car is right now in the shop supposedly replacing the thermostat which I'm told is "the ONLY problem", yeah right. I spoke with a Land Rover dealer mechanic who hasn't worked on my car, but lightly expressed the "cooling system issues" with this model and that worst case scenario, I would need an engine at the whopping cost of $12K!! :lemon: I don't think so... where I go from here, I am not sure. Any suggestions are welcome!
    We all need to keep filing complaints with National Transportation Board; what I don't get is Toyota is completely under fire for there issue...yet Land Rover Freelanders have had all sorts of issues and nothing. This model needs to be recalled!! I am fortunate that mine is paid off...right now I have to replace the muffler, the breaks again (just did this in July) and the tires (which wear constantly). My windows in the back no longer work, sunroof doesn't work, locks are going...no is going to give me a dime to trade this in.
  • katrinkatrin Member Posts: 1
    I have paid over $13,000 in repairs in the last year on my 2003 Land Rover Freelander...all through the dealership. After just getting it out of the shop,it would not start and now they tell me it needs a new engine for ANOTHER $12,000!!! I have written to Land Rover,complained to the dealership, written to the transportation board, what else can I do? Are there any lawyers handling cases against Land Rover over this car? I have had the transmission replaced , and had a coolant leak numerous times since April 2008. Plus, many of the other repairs detailed on this blog. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Katrin
  • ballyhooballyhoo Member Posts: 7
    I think a bunch of us are going with a lawyer out of NY named Howard Gutman (link below). If we all band together I think we can force Land Rover's hand. (I don't mean in a class-action sort of way, I just mean by sheer volume). Also file a report with the NHTSA(http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm). I should talk I have yet to do it. Get rid of your car as soon as possible. I used a car buying service and they gave me $6000 for my 2004 HSE. It was the most I could get. I then bought a Honda Accord. Get all your receipts together & call Howard.. Then lose that piece of junk as soon as you can. You'll feel much better:
    http://www.lemonlawclaims.com/freelander_head_gasket_and_engine%20failure.htm :lemon:
  • marcusplazamanmarcusplazaman Member Posts: 1
    Howard Gutman does work for you. He helped me get back about $3200 for a transmission. Screw Land Rover and make them pay
  • raoul934raoul934 Member Posts: 1
    I knew I was driving a time bomb after reading all the problems with this car. Well at 72,000 miles the transmission went. It started giving me a F4 flashing on the dash, i thought well I have read that if this happens it the selonoids in the transmission no big deal, I was quoted $ 120.00 per selonoid, there is 2 of them and $ 250.00 labor. Of course this was not at the Landrover dealer. When they opened the transmission in front of me there where all kinds of pieces of metal, after dissmanteling some more the clutches were completely destroyed. They quoted me a price of $ 3027.00 to completley rebuild with new parts, and a guarantee of 12 months. I said "no way Jose", I then got on Ebay and bought one for $ 900.00, the labor to installed, changing the filter, new oil total $ 600.00. So for a total of $ 1500.00 I got it done. There are so many of these Freelanders blowing their motors that you can find a cheap transmission.
    To end the story, as soon as it left the shop I put up for sale, and sold it for $ 5500.00. Thank God. Landrovers you can go to hell.
  • spnkygrnspnkygrn Member Posts: 6
    Well, I'm the one who got this all started. I recently accepted a miniscule payoff from Landrover for all the trouble their Freelander gave me. It seemed as though even enlisting the number 1 attorney for "Lemon Law" in the country did little or nothing for my case but made him an easy $1500 for "processing " Landrover's interest in reducing the number of complaints against them about their Freelander models for peanuts. Only serious legislation the magnitude of what Toyota has recently experienced will victims have any real chance of being appropriately compensated for their loses.
  • brownaynsbrownayns Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 freelander S and aside from the brake problems and overheating, we now have the F4 Error code. It stayed like that for awhile and I could still drive it. But now it only idles. No acceleration. Any suggestions? :lemon:
  • pjohnesqpjohnesq Member Posts: 6
    My wife purchased a used 2004 Land Rover Freelander in May 2009. The engine failed on August 15, 2010 with approximately 52,000 miles. I wrote a claim letter to LR on August 17, 2010 after doing some research and finding out about the defective engine. I received a response on August 18, 2010 from LR's customer service, referring my claim to their consumer affairs department. On August 19, 2010 I received a letter from LR's Consumer Affairs department, acknowledging receipt and informing me that they would get back to me on or before September 17, 2010. On September 16, 2010, LR offered me $6,950 for my wife's 2004 Land Rover Freelander HSE. I rejected the offer. LR increased their offer to $9,085 on September 20, 2010. I rejected that also. I am now awaiting their response to my last demand of $12,385.
  • khood3khood3 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    Wow, I wish I'd found this forum a couple years ago so I could have avoided all this hassle. My 04 Freelander (74,000 miles) has been in the shop for a total of 2.5 months since July of this year as a result of a coolant/overheating issue. Last Friday it completely died with no warning & I had to have the car towed back to the dealership. After the techs looked at it for the 4th time, they announced coolant had leaked into the engine and it would need to be replaced. Some googling led me to this site & I see that this is a consistent theme with Freelanders. I purchased the car used from Carmax in December of 07 & so far, the extended warranty has covered all of the issues after the deductible, but I'm afraid they're going to draw the line here. Who did you contact at Land Rover & had you purchased your car directly from them or from another dealer? It's senseless for me to pay $5000 or more to have the engine replaced when its KBB value is only slightly more than that. If the warranty leaves me hanging, you can bet I'm going to go after Land Rover, so any suggestions on where to start would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Sorry, i went through a similar situation. Land Rover must be government protected because sooooo many have tried to go after them. I just ran out of time to keep it a prioirity with all the other things life brings my way. I hope someone can find an attorney strong enough to get through the wall. I am definitely down for a class action suit!

Good luck.
    I have (am getting rid of) a 2005. Same problem with over heating, coolant leaking, etc. Its the cylinder liner coming unglued. There was a video on YouTube demonstrating it. The guy works for landrover. I tried to watch the video again but the person removed it. Rockbound rovers was the company that listed it. Maybe try calling them. They are out of California. My husband is more knowledgable on the subject than I am.