Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Freelander

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The LR2, disguised versions of which have been spied on test recently, will be bigger than the current Freelander, with a wider track and longer wheelbase. It is also rumored the LR2 will be available with a hybrid powertrain."

Land Rover Could Rebrand Freelander as LR2 (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    "The collapse of Rover will mean an early end to sales of the Land Rover Freelander SUV in America." Note that "a new-generation Freelander is expected this fall" so don't panic unless you really wanted an '05.

Freelander Production Cut Short (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • pjn43pjn43 Member Posts: 3
    My 02 Freelander SE was the worst vehicle I ever owned.
  • blazergirl1blazergirl1 Member Posts: 6
    I've posted previous about the problems with our 2004 Freelander, so heres where it stands.

After 3 months of fighting with Landrover Canada on the phone, we got NO where. A couple months past and we kept dealing with it, and everyone at landrover was let go...apparently their customer service was moved to the US or something. So a nice big dead end.

SO one year after we bought the landrover we finally had it BOUGHT BACK!!!! Well a trade assist, but all we paid was $2000 canadian (stupid mileage, and 'wear and tear') They gave us a 2005 Freelander, exactly the same (black 2 door) with maybe 100kms. We are trading it in on something worth while. :mad:

Our headaches:
    -replace IRD
    -replace power steering pump, rack
    -brakes done almost every 10000km (had 22000 when we took it back)
    -Countless Dowhill decent codes( orange and green) , engine failure codes, etc. Our da-tranny computer
    -Head valves stuck open
    -rpm motor/valve faulty
    -2 sets of intake valves (outside engine)
    -new trannysh at times looked like a christmas tree. The famous F4.

the clencher: Doing 80km with 5y/o nephew in car...all by itself goes into Limp Mode. It geared itself down and started doing 15km, NO MORE on the highway. NICE EH.

Each time we'd bring it home, it'd be doing the same thing or a new fun code within a week.

Our freelander was also in the shop around 3months, off and on. Which is 160km round trip and 4-5hours each time. ya that was fun.

They said .. oh you can keep driving it as long as none of the lights are flashing. Ya okay, cause no damage will be done. When it went into Limp Mode, you're not supposed to be able to start it again without resetting the computer. We turned ours off and it ran fine 10min later.

TOP NOTCH BOYS :mad: :lemon: :sick:

anyways, a year after alot of stress, we're hoping to tradethe new one in on the weekend.

Good luck guys..... ;)
  • angryatlrangryatlr Member Posts: 1
    ON May 26 while driving my 2002 S Freelander the steering failed. This was only an hour after having operated the SUV at 75 MPH on the Florida Turnpike and dodging semis in the rain. I had NO CONTROL of the vehicle. It was towed to the dealer and I was told that the steering column bolts FELL OUT. I was further told that this has happened before. I am afraid of this vehicle at this point. I have been informed by the head tech at the dealer that it cannot be repaired safely in his opinion. I have had a huge runaround by the customer service at Landrover America and only after repeated arguments with them have they agreed to pay up front the rental car replacement (after running up $441 on my credit card to be paid back later by Land Rover) until it is determined if can be repaired to Land Rover's satisfaction.

If anyone else has had this problem please post. IF YOU DRIVE ONE BE AWARE THAT INTERNAL LANDROVER IS AWARE THAT THE BOLTS HAVE SNAPPED AND THAT THEY HAVE INFORMED A LANDROVER SENIOR TECH THAT THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE.

AS OF JUNE 10 I HAVE NOT BEEN INFORMED WHEN OR IF THE CAR CAN BE REPAIRED AND AT THIS POINT I DO NOT WANT IT BACK.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I've never heard of that happening before but it sounds seriously scary. Thank goodness no one was injured.

tidester, host
  • dan35dan35 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a 02 SE 4 door Freelander (green Ha ha). Need help please advise...

My power brakes dont work on a 13k mile machine that was once in a wreck, The abs light is on and I think I may need abs sensors but have no idea what they look like or where they are (other than by the wheels) I need to buy some and need some pictures or advice on the details of instalation or if that is my problem at all. I doubt my abs pump is out but I have one of those to put on as well if need be.

If anyone has any info at all I could use it.

Thanks

Dan
  • dan35dan35 Member Posts: 2
    Surely Somebody knows something on this problem, I could really use some help, Also my airbags were deployed, I have new bags now, do I have to replace the computer as well and do I need to do anything special to install the bags.
    Thanks Dan.
  • dpetersen1dpetersen1 Member Posts: 1
    DON'T BUY ONE NEW OR USED!!!!!!! AND IF YOU HAVE ONE--RUN!--DON'T WALK AWAY FROM IT!!!!

I purchased a 2002 Freelander S in November 2002. I though I was buying a decent vehicle. In the less than 3 years I've had it, I've chewed through 2 sets of brakes, 2 sets of tires, switched out the throttle body twice, has the on-going TC/HDC light issue, leaking gasket around the rear glass, broken shifter cable, new thermostat - and now, after 72K+ miles, the dealer is telling me I have to replace the entire engine due to a 'dropped cylinder sleeve'.

Land Rover N.A. refused to acknowledge that there is a major deficincy with their engines, and said there is nothing they can do. Dealer offered $1,000 discount on replacing the engine (Total cost $6700!) A vehicle this age, consistently highway driven should not have an engine failure. I am amazed that Ford PAG (premiere auto group) has allowed this to continue on all modeles '02-'04

As it stands right now, this vehicle is going bye-bye infavor of a Toyota or Jeep. It was great when it ran right, but in past 12 calendar months it cost me close to $2500 in repairs

Things to watch for:
    • Continuous loss of coolant - cracked coolant reservoir, possible head gasket failure or dropped cylinder sleeve
    • Sluggish/no acceleration - VIS/throttle body problem
    • Vibrations - need wheel alignment, bad front end, or worse yet - trans or rear seal gone
    • Excessive brake wear - loves to eat brake pads and rotors
    • 72,000 Mile Timing Belt Replacement - Quoted $2000-$2500 to replace 3 timing belts & water pump
    • Thermostat replacement issue - $700-$1000 - and to do it, exhaust manifold has to be removed

For an entry-level SUV, the price is great, but the maintenance and construction of this vehicle leaves something to be desired..... What a :lemon:
    LIKE I SAID - DON'T BUY ONE NEW OR USED!!!!!!!
  • junklanderjunklander Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I saw your post re: Freelander,

I purchased my Freelander second hand at 6months old and still under warranty. It had issues right from the start…had it towed 3 times. Landrover Australia said that they will not assist because it is out of warranty. (And apart from that I had it serviced by Toyota instead of Landrover…like that makes a difference!!...its just their “get out”).

Here are my thoughts …..

Now that I have traded my 2000 Freelander(for $A10000.00 or $A3800.00 net - after repairs)I would like to add my story to the long list of outraged Freelander owners. Firstly I would say to any prospective Landrover buyers...Don't !!! For any Freelander owners ... get rid of it NOW!!! My 1.8lt petrol Freelander blew its head gasket right on que at 60000kms. I was told by a mechanic that the problem was a design fault in the cylinder linings, and there is no repair procedure. My only option was an engine replacement. The car was "offroad" for 6 weeks and the ordeal cost me $A 6200.00 in repairs and I lost another $A 17000.00 in depreciation over 5 years. The re-sale value of this car is appalling. I asked a Landrover dealership mechanic if this is a common fault with this car..he said "no more common than any other car". I then spoke to a salesman in the same dealership and asked for a trade figure on my Freelander in it's current state and he said..."The trade value will be low because the engine in this model has some reliability issues". Landrover Australia washed their hands of the problem saying that the car is out of warranty and they will not cover ANY repair costs. I have been told by several mechanics that the 1.8lt engine fitted to Freelanders has a lifespan of between 50000 and 100000 kms. Because of the design flaw they will ALL fail and the only option is replacement. Landrover should face reality and take responsibility for this poorly built motor car. Spread the word and take my advise, don't by a Landrover, and if you have a Freelander, get rid of it !

I am now rid of my Freelander, but I had to take a personal loan of $A10000.00 which will now take me years to pay off….. all thanks to Landrover !!

Terry Edwards.
  • cb4cb4 Member Posts: 1
    I know you wrote that you don't want personal experience info on the ' 02 freelander, but here goes. My brother bought an ' 02 freelander and liked it so much that I bought one. His then went in the shop for a new transmission. Mine went into the shop for a new trans after 20K miles. I liked the look and size of the truck so much that my original plan was to buy the truck at the end of the lease & keep the truck for thirty years. The guys at the dealership told me not to buy the truck because the truck has turned out to be a nightmare for them & the consumer. They told me the transmissions are no good
    When I see someone on the street getting into or out of their freelander I ask them about their experience with the truck. So far, every single one has responded negativeley. My dealership is very good. Can't say the same for the truck. Get rid of it. P.S. I think the heat/AC is inadequate.
  • squeekywheelsqueekywheel Member Posts: 1
    My 02 Freelander is currently back at the dealership for this very problem! I took it in for an oil change and told them about the lights coming on. Anyway, they took a look at it and found that BOTH springs on the front had come loose and you could grab them and shake them so they'd move. I don't know for sure, but it sounded like from what the mechanic told me everything (sensors, ABS, HDC) are all in that area. They told me they wouldn't let me leave with the car as it's dangerous.

I'm now waiting for a phone call to come pick it up. I expect the bill to be around $1200. I would recommend you check that both front springs are fastened in place securely.
  • lrownerlrowner Member Posts: 1
    I just had my 48,000 service completed. My freelander has an odor of exhaust / gas mixed with coolnat coming from it. Any ideas what this could be and what may have happened during the 48,000 service to start this?

I see alot of head gasket postings, what are the symptoms of a head gasket going bad?

thanks
  • deadlanderdeadlander Member Posts: 2
    Like many here, we purchased...in good faith...our Freelanders only to find out about all the "normal" little problems. My vehicle currently sits in the parking lot...once again... of the dealership awaiting yet another repair...the transmission. Of the ~1250 days that I've had this vehicle, almost 100 days have been in the shop (~8%), and I've not been off-roading unless you count a country dirt-road.

I've also had the problem with the front disk brakes, every 20K miles or so, but managed to get one of those "life-time" brake pad guarantees, that includes labor if it's less than 2yrs/24K miles between brake jobs. So far that's paid for itself.

The current state of my vehicle is DOA of the Jatco transmission. Even though I brought the vehicle in before the warranty expired complaining of the engine "racing" when it shifts between 2 & 3 gears, they found no "unusual" probem found a told me to drive it until it's reproduceable or a service light come on so they can get a computer code. Well, now that I'm just out of the warranty, the problem is reproduceable...with a 4 & F flashing in the odometer. After almost two weeks, I'm still waiting to hear from LRNA Customer Service as they evaluate "the vehicle problem history" to determine what they plan to do next.

With an estimated repair price of ~$4,300 (rebuilt) to ~$7,500 (new), they still have not told me WHAT is broken in the trans (gear, control board, belt, etc)....only that it doesn't work and that it needs to be replaced. To make matter worse, there are no "certified/authorized" repair companies outside of Land Rover according to both LRNA and Jatco Techechnical Hot-line. So there is no one I can go to for a second opinion, isn't that considered extortion?

Received vehicle
    Check engine light code T1000 - unknown code
    Rear view mirror vibrates
    Check engine light code P1000 - loose wire on coolant sensor
    Rear view mirror vibrates - parts on order
    Car unlocks at time by itself - unable to verify
    Mirror still vibrates - replaced
    Only one key will start the vehicle
    attempt to repair ignition key problem
    LRNA Recall - diagnostic ground wire
    LRNA Recall - hard shift software upgrade
    LRNA Recall - thermostat monitor software
    LRNA Recall - electric window fuze upgrade
    LRNA Recall - A/C hose rerouting
    LRNA Recall - diagnostic ground wire install
    attempt to repair ignition key problem - fixed 04/29/2003
    Coolant resivoir low - replaced thermostat
    Coolant resivoir low - replaced hose
    Check engine light - unable to verify
    Service Engine Soon light - VIS motors replaced
    Service Engine Soon light - performed technical alert
    Service Engine Soon light - worn gasket - replaced filler cap
    Replace left rear tail light
    Replaced driver side mirror
    Traction Control/Hill Decent light problem - replaced brake switch
    Inspect HVAC drain tube - Service bulletin 122
    Perform tech bulletin B294 ???
    Left mirror delaminating - replaced mirror
    Passenger mirror delaminating - replaced mirror
    Interior smells of fumes - broken cam cover/pcv hose, replaced
    HVAC fan not working - replaced fan and heater matrix
    Revs before shifting 2 to 3 gear when cold - no unusual problem found
    Throttle body inspection and replacement
    Jatco trans sensor updates - inspect only
    Right rear window lifter not working - replaced
    Replaced A-Pillar trim - safety recall
    RPM's jump really hight, no acceleration - Need to replace trans
    Flashing 4 and F in odometer

For what it's worth.......
  • deadlanderdeadlander Member Posts: 2
    In my Freelander I had the same smell. It was the a broken cam cover/pcv hose leaking exhaust fumes into the cabin and the heater matrix and fan motor because of a crack leaking coolant in the cabin and being circulated by the fan. In my case the coolant was dripping on the fan a shorted it out. I also noticed a slight fog on the windshield when I used the defroster setting on the vent.

Hope this helps.
  • calycaly Member Posts: 3
    We have owned our 02 Freelander for a little over a year. We have almost all of the issues discussed on this board and it was purchased with less than 30,000 miles. It has been in service more than we have had it on the road. It was in for 2 months and the transmission and harness were replaced. After the car was returned it went back in and had the lower stabilizer rod from the engine to the frame replaced because of severe front end shaking. We are so frustrated with this truck we want to know the best way to get rid of it. It is only a matter of time before the next problem occurs and the warranty will be expired. We could not afford all of these repairs if it was not under warranty. What is the best way to get rid of the car? I feel bad selling the problem to someone else. Should we buy the extended warranty and transfer it? When the buyer sees all the repairs will they run ?? The other route is to trade it in and take a big loss. Any suggestions or information from your own experience would be appreciated. Thank You Chris
  • elmorelmor Member Posts: 3
    In reading most of the post here, I've noted the recurring issues for the early users of the Freelander (i.e. 2002, and some other years.) So I'm certain that I would not purchase any of these models. Sorry to hear that issues have popped up for the owners.

I have not seen issues regarding the 2005 model and was wondering if similar issues were popping up. Also have noted that the model has been discontinued and that a newer one will be coming out. From the pictures that I've seen, it looks too big for my needs even though it appears to be slight in changes.

I'm interested in this model as I'm looking for a change in autos though I certainly don't want to get myself into what many have described, hence the question of the '05 model. Have the issues been cleared up or are they just waiting to happen?

Wish I could figure out what it is that makes me desire one of these knowing its background. Thanks for your help.
  • bainesbaines Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2001 Freelander TD4 SE. On July 7 2005 it sounds like we experienced the same fault. Investigation the next day showed both main steering rack bolts fell out I first noticed this evening before on the motorway. The steering needed 1/2 turn before anything happened. I managed to get the car home. I ordered 2 new bolts from Land Rover, but I am unable to get them in, after reading your letter I guess the old ones must be sheered inside. Not sure what to do next? What was the outcome of yours?
  • freelanderfreelander Member Posts: 1
    Well, I've owned my Freelander since new in 2002. I have 51,000 miles on the vehicle. It has had problems, although I thought minor until now (water in the tail light, new battery, faulty starting problems). Guess you can tolerate a whole lot more when it is under warranty. I have had all of my service done at the same Landrover dealership I bought the car from on the North side of Houston.

I was driving the car last Sunday from Nacogdoches back to Houston and along the way, stopping at a stop sign, something happened! I began to drive and the yellow light came on, check engine soon and the blinking F 4 that I am now realizing is so infamous! I had it towed all the way from Lufkin on a flatbed truck to the dealership. We have made 2 calls to Landrover customer service department and are awaiting a response on how our transmission will be handled. Of course, we are being told they are UNAWARE of any transmission problems!

Seems like there would be an attorney somewhere that would want to handle a class action suit against Landrover for these faulty 2002 models. Anyone know of a class action suit pending???? Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the transmission repaired under warranty?
    Those affected by the Freelander Head Gasket problem should visit http://freelander.webhop.net/ and http://home.austarnet.com.au/edwardsonline/freelanderheadgasket
    for more information and advice. Those Freelander victims in Australia: Let Land Rover know how you feel by writing to:
    The General Manager, Land Rover Australia, Locked Bag 2214 North Ryde NSW 1670.
    You should also complain to the ACCC and the Office of Fair Trading in your state.
  • cestantoncestanton Member Posts: 2
    Elmor posed the exact questions I've been trying to find the answers to. The LR dealer assured me that the company's reliability problems were a thing of the past. I'd like to believe him, but I think it's prudent to take his statement with a grain of salt large enough to fill the back of the Freelanderar he wants to sell me.

Does anyone know whether, thus far, the 2005s are faring better than earlier models? Elmor, have you been able to find any useful information?

Also, I'm confused about the quality of the Land Rover brand in general. Over the years, I've heard horror stories like the ones here and others associated with the Discovery. And J.D. Power's 2005 long-term dependability ratings (based on three-years of original-owner data) rank the nameplate second to last, with 395 problems per 100 vehicles. Yet none of the major reviews I've seen of LR's various vehicles have detailed any long-standing quality issues with the company. And with the number of them I see on the road, their reputation among consumers can't be *too* bad. Also, the LR3 was named 2005 Motor Trend Sport/Utility of the Year.

So what's the story with this brand? Is it as simple as them making their top-of-the-line models pieces of art, while neglecting their lower-end models so badly that they wind up being pieces of trash? Or have all of their models been plagued in one form or another?

I'd also be very curious to hear: Those of you who rue the day you drove out of the LR dealership in your new Freelander (or other), what were your impressions of the brand before you bought it? Did you subsequently find anything out about the brand (not solely through your own terrible experience) that you wish you'd known before you made the purchase?

I'd greatly appreciate any insight (or resources you could point me to). Thank you.
  • godhelpusgodhelpus Member Posts: 2
    It seems quite obvious to me that the '02 Freelander was junk. I bought a brand new '05 freelander yesterday. On the ride home from the dealership, I noticed the Interior lights of the vehicle would not shut off. Currently, the car is in the driveway, battery draining and all. Obviously I will be bringing the vehicle into my LR dealership tomorrow. But has any one else had this problem? and has any one had any problems with ANY OTHER year models? Primarily an '05. Thanks.
  • 0audilicious00audilicious0 Member Posts: 47
    Just for the record, the 2002 Freelander was named Automobile Magazine Small Sport Ute of the year. That's what swayed me in the direction to purchase and also what made me cancel my long standing subscription to that magazine.

The testers don't have the cars long enough to run into many of the problems reported on these boards. Also, I believe that if/when the testers do have issues, LRNA is right there to fix things quickly and easily... very opposite to the dealer experience that most of us have had.

As a sidenote, when I've complained about my service experience in the past, the regional service manager told me "we treat all of our customers equally bad, regardless of whether they bought a Freelander or Range Rover." You'd think he was kidding, but he said it dead on so who knows....
  • freelander2002freelander2002 Member Posts: 3
    i just bought a 2002 freelander for 15,0000 from a jeep dealer who said it was fine all checked out,,,,i drove for 3 days lights kept comeing on,they told me to bring to landrover so i did well it needs a new transmission ,,but the best is the only reason i bought this is because there was only 19 thousand miles on it and its in excellent cond...the transmission was covered ,,but the dealer wont take any money off the sale its final....but they will set me up in a new jeep,,,or work something out with me.........im afraid to keep this car with that little miles what will be next.....i only bought it to give my daughter my 2001 crv,,which i never had any problems with
    i bought a freelander for 15 thousand dollars with only 19 thousand miles at a jeep dealer i had for 3 days the jeep place told me they replaced the brake pads thats all in needed,,well light kept going on i called they told me to bring to land rover ,,they told me it needs a new transmission so its been there for a wk, now ,,i want them the jeep dealer to but it back,,,they wont,but they will get me into something else and work out the figures im afraid what will be next with that low milage why would a transmission go,,,noone has a answer i only bought it to give my child my honda crv 01 that i had no problems with ever,,saw this ad thought it was to good to be true,,but the car is in great cond,,,but i a little wary now of keeping it can anyone help,,,does anyone have problems with there freelander 02
    i have trouble also with the one i bought from a jeep dealer had for 3 days lights on freelander says transmission,,,,,,its been there a wk. 19 thousand miles 15 thousand dollars i paid they wont buy back but will get me into something else please advise how i get them to buy back or lemon law in ct. thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    It is a used car.... lemon law doesn't apply.. be thankful that you are still in warranty..

Your best bet is to drive the car until it is nearly out of warranty, then sell it for whatever you can get... If the Jeep dealer won't buy it back, then quit dealing with them... anything they do to get you into another car will just be more money out of your pocket..

If you feel you want to sell the car now, you'll just have to sell it for the most you can get, and take your lumps...

If you read back over the last couple of years posts, you'll see that your experience is not unusual, and is not likely to get better...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• steve41steve41 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2005 Freelander in May. It has all the options. Really nice and reliable so far. Have 3000 miles on it, and no issues. The vehicle seems to be pretty solid and well built. Traded in a Lexus RX300. The Freelander is no Lexus, but the RX's are now around $45K, while the fully loaded Freelander was just over $30K. I really have enjoyed the vehicle so far, and hope it continues to be trouble free.
  • sdmvasdmva Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to take a moment to thank all of you that took the time to post your issues with the Freelander. After reading through all forty plus pages of messages, I decided not to purchase a Freelander.

This was no easy decision I can assure you! I have wanted a Land Rover for as long as I can remember, and the Freelander seemed like a great start. In addition, it was at first quite difficult for me to connect the information provided here as applying to ALL Freelanders.

Well, it really does seem as though the majority of brake, electrical, power, and transmission issues are almost universal for this particular vehicle. In fact, after reading this forum I finally reviewed the Consumer Reports scores. I am sure many of you are now aware that the 2002 Freelander failed miserably in the above (and other) categories.

Good luck with your Land Rovers...hopefully I can join the club when they work out the more serious problems.

Scott
  • jons1jons1 Member Posts: 3
    Its not a warranty matter The overheating & failed HG is the result of a design fault which is not detectable during servicing.
    I'm UK based but I believe your consumer laws are similar in that you cannot sell a vehicle, even a second hand one, that is not fit for the purpose. So any owners out there have got a claim. Type in Freelander head gasket problem & wait for the hit but if you own one, be sitting with a stiff drink.

Good luck
    No they haven't cured their problems type in Freelander Problems then wait fo the hit. Be sitting with a drink!!
    We are UK based but we do have a OZZY members who join through an OZZY website. You'll find it in these posts under the name of Junklander.
    Yes you probably have a blown HG this could be caused by the garage not refilling the coolant as per the manufactures instruction thereby leaving an air pocket restricting the flow of coolant with too obvious results. Get it checked ASAP
  • elmorelmor Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies to my question regarding the 2005 model Freelanders. I've decided not to proceed at this point after reading the past entries and the current model's end. High hopes for all those with Freelanders.

Thanks, Elmor
    Motor vehicle complaints
    It is widely accepted by 4WD mechanics that Freelander K-series 1.8lt engines are known to drop the cylinder liners into the block. Because the liners are steel and the block is alloy, the liners being harder, work their way into the block. The bad news is; If the liners are too low, the engine needs to be replaced - this is fact, confirmed by Land Rover. In some cases engines have been replaced several times, at average intervals of only 50000 km. That's not just bad luck.... that's a design fault.
    Just a reminder to all "Land Rover Freelander Head Gasket Failure" victims in Australia. If you have made a claim against Land Rover Australia and are unhappy with the response, you should put your concerns in writing to the ACCC office in your state. Go to http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/54229/fromItemId/3634 for postal addresses.

The ACCC is now collecting data on this issue and will pursue the case if there are sufficient complaints indicating a pattern.
    Those living the Freelander 1.8lt petrol headgasket failure nightmare are urged to visit the following web site for further information and advice:

http://www.pagetraining.com/landrover_freelander_gasket_engine.htm

http://home.austarnet.com.au/edwardsonline/freelanderheadgasket
  • cestantoncestanton Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much to all who responded with their insights on Land Rover in general and the Freelander in particular. Like a few other recent posters, I've decided against getting one. I feel for all those who've gone through the kinds of problems I've read about here. If it's any consolation--and I'm sure it won't be much--sharing your experiences is most likely saving several others (including me) from having to suffer the same kind of aggravation. So, thank you.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Do edmunds or other real car review sites post articles on really bad vehicles? This freelander forum is full of nightmare stories from almost everyone who posted?

While it could seem like brand bashing...it would be refreshing to see something like...This vehicle has had major problems and potential buyers should review service contracts, etc in the pros/cons section.

Instead

Pros Excellent on-road handling for an SUV, permanent all-wheel drive, still capable off-road.
    Cons Expensive for a compact SUV, tight on cargo space, V6 engine on the weak side, no side airbags, SE3's hard top is hard to install.

Even something as light-handed as (insert website here) cannot endorse this vehicle due to problems reported? Consumer reports got a lot of flack for negative press, however the truth you can uncover in forums is never accurately represented in articles.
    For another data point besides the editorial side here and the forums, check out the Consumer Reviews and Ratings. There's a link at the top of the discussion with 22 current reviews listed.

Steve, Host
    Interesting...it reads like people really like its design and feature set...however the overall negativity doesn't seem equal to what has been in this forum.

For the record I don't own one, but like the concept and have read this forum since inception...I have steered many people I know away from the vehicle based on what I read here.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    and have read this forum since inception

And, for the record, you just passed your 6th anniversary with edmunds.com 3 days ago. Congrats!

tidester, host
    6 years older.
  • bugnut23bugnut23 Member Posts: 8
    Just for the record and to keep things a bit more balanced here, I have a 2004 HSE that I have been very pleased with. Have about 15000 on the odometer with only a problem with the outside temp. gauge to report. A bit underpowered but not bad if you shift for yourself. Very solidly built - feels like it's been "moulded" out of a single block of steel. Spent some time in Utah on washboard back roads and there wasn't a rattle or squeak once back on the pavement. Drove a friend's new Forester recently, good pick-up from the engine but the whole package felt pretty "thin". Got into a little fenderbender with a woman who pulled out of a driveway into my path - totalled her Toyota Corolla with minimal damage to the Freelander. Get close to 30 mpg (25 US) on the highway. As long as the reliability holds, it's a keeper. Ciao, B.
  • speedracer1127speedracer1127 Member Posts: 1
    I have had a 2004 Freelander for 18 months and 20k miles. Prior to my purchase, I was concerned about all of the horror stories, but felt a bit assured due to the warranty. I've been very pleased with my Freelander. Fortunately (knock on wood) I have had only very minor problems (loose rear window and weak windshield washer jet) both problems were fixed under warranty. It goes great through snow, and I've had it off road once where it was a lot of fun. The car is very solid with no rattles at all. It drives great on road and has very tight ride for a SUV. It could use some extra horses, but the manual/sport shift mode gives you enough control to optimize the power band. I realize there are a lot of real horror stories out there, but there are many satisifed owners too. :)
    Spy Shots: 2007 Land Rover Freelander (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • rvrmsrvrms Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Freelander SE...So far I have been pleased with my car, its performance, gas mileage, etc. The dealer where I purchased it (Wilmington, DE Land Rover) was excellent--gave great service! I have since moved to Cape Cod, Mass. I am considering replacing my Rover...with another Freelander, but after reading many of the posts, I am now hesitant. Has anyone else had major issues with a 2002 after it goes out of warranty? That is what I fear!

Any feedback would be appreciated. I was inclined to replacing it soon, but am wondering if I should wait until the new 2007 comes out...or just appreciate the fact that my 2002 seems "so far, so good!"

Help!

With thanks ...
    Rvrms
  • meggybmeggyb Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2004 Freelander new and have owned it for about 15 months and have taken it into the dealership 10 times already (crack in radiator, t/c lights and seatbelt lights come on for no reason, sunroof replaced, gas tank not filling up, etc.) I have been very reasonable with the dealership, not complaining or anything. The other day I went to use my cruise control and to my surprise, it doesn't work. I had my husband contact the service manager and explained to him that my car is still fairly new and I shouldn't be having all of these problems with it. He asked the service manager to go through my records and determine if my car is possibly a lemon. He said he contacted corporate and they reviewed my records and are willing to cover a couple of my car payments for my inconvienece. I don't think that they are being fair, they just want to pay me off, which is not worth it in my book. Has anyone else pursued a complaint with corporate or filed a suit under lemon law? Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!
  • stephangstephang Member Posts: 9
    My two cents on this: if your car breaks down in a year or so, wouldn't you be really pissed at yourself for taking a chance with a car you knew could go seriously wrong? :confuse: Reading the posts on this forum have really made me doubt about the reliability of the car. I have a 03 freelander, and while my trips to the dealer for repairs are not too outrageous, I know i will get rid of the car right before the warranty expires!

SG
  • cppcpp Member Posts: 33
    I would caution you to do some research on lemon law proceedings for your state before you accept anything from LR. I've never looked into it, but it's been claimed before that if you allow the manufacturer to cover any of your payments, you are no longer eligible for lemon law proceedings because you have already been compensated. Again, I'm no expert - just encouraging you to educate yourself before acting.
  • adw1adw1 Member Posts: 1
    Read your message after the same defect occured on my Nov. 2001 TD4 ESX. (only 35000 miles) Fortunately no casualties. However I am aware of the following. The Service manager of Town & County Garage Aberdeen UK advised that this has happened before on a vehicle and that Land Rover engineering developed a fix. This involved laser cutting the double skinned bulkhead where the two retaining nuts are located and rewelding a new panel with the bolts back in, the repair being carried out free of charge on an out of warranty (+3years) vehicle. From your posting on the defect report I see that Land Rover USA advised this had happened before. This in my limited knowledge takes the incidence of this failure to a total of four. Until a few days ago when a another vehicle in England suffered the same fault. This vehicle had had a new steering rack replaced within the previous 12 months but the bolts still failed. My vehicle has been with Land Rover since June when after my local garage who were so concerned when attempting the repair that they contacted Land Rover. Land Rover recovered the vehicle and advised that the repair would cost £1280.00 ($2176) with an offer that I should only pay 25% of this cost. Whilst I have been very fond of the Freelander the nature of this defect and the inability of Land Rover to reassure me of the repair which is only gauranteed for 12 months makes me consider that the repair is a risk I could not live with should I or anyone else drive this type of vehicle. I recollect the + 100k I have driven in Freelanders and my limited imagination dreads what would of happened if the failure had occured when I have been pushing the vehicle around our very twisty roads. In my limited knowledge I can only consider that they we have a problem due to over/under tightnening of the bolts, substandard bolts, or a design problem because the steering rack has only two retaining bolts, most other steering racks I've come across have 4 fixing bolts. The other side of the steering rack is only located in place. I speculate that any free movement on the located end cyclically fatigues the bolts at the other fixed end. I am dissapointed with Land Rover because I feel they should of repaired my vehicle free of charge as was the case in a previous vehicle and that they have not been able to give me any re assurance about the repair and the likely hood of re-occurance. Fortunately I have been in the position to leave the vehicle with them for the last 3 months but now have come to the point where I either pay for the fix or take them to court. Any further information you have found would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Alex D Walker