Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Freelander

Comments

• david48david48 Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to join in the fun. We have a 2004 Freelander that we purchased new in May of '04. It has had a few minor problems here and there but nothing major until now. The brakes started making a grinding noise and when I called the Fresno CA dealership to make an appointment I was told that the rotors would probably have to be replaced and that it would not be covered under warranty. This vehicle has less than 15,000 miles on it and they said that it was 'normal' for brake rotors to wear out in that amount of time.Interesting how he would say that the rotors need replacing without even having seen the car. I wrote a letter to the general manager of the dealership expressing my disappointment with the diagnosis and told him I felt that this should be covered under warranty. The day the car was taken in for repair I was told by the service manager "well, we didn't manufacture it so it's not our (the dealership's) problem. The repair cost over $500. This is totally unacceptable. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA and the BBB and wrote to Land Rover again. I will keep you posted as to what happens. I have asked LR to reimburse me the cost of the repair and to cover future repairs.
  • tiffanitiffani Member Posts: 1
    Had the EXACT same brake problems-my car is just over a year old. This car has cost me a lot of money already-might as well not have a warranty. Thanks for the idea of having LR reimburse some of that money. My seatbelts don't work either nor does the airbag-having some safety issues!!!!
  • david48david48 Member Posts: 2
    If you are having seat belt and airbag problems they should definitely be covered under warranty. If LR tries to tell you it is not, report it to the NHTSA at nhtsa.dot.gov
    The word dot above stands for department of transportation. I am still waiting to hear back from them on my complaint. I have not heard back from LR yet and the BBB was no help, they told me I should have had the brakes inspected before the car was one year old. Never heard of having to need to do that before. Good luck and keep fighting. You were right about might as well not have a warranty at all if they can pick and choose what is covered and what isn't.
  • kevin2005kevin2005 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone please help me with any info for 2002 Freelander S with the last 8 digits of VIN being: 2A376087?
    How do you guys get this info? Do you work for LR?
    Thanks very much in advance....
  • rvrmsrvrms Member Posts: 3
    Thank you "stephang"....Yeah, reading these posts does make me stop and think...will be looking at the Toyota and the Honda as I do like/prefer the smaller SUV. I love my current Rover, but as I said, do worry about costs after warranty runs out!

rvms :cry: :confuse:
  • sfinesfine Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Freelander and was happy with it until September when the transmission went. I only had 43,000 miles on the car. They replaced the transmission (only took 10 days), never reimbursed me for my rental car. The new transmission is now going, and the electrical system went kaput on Saturday.

I have been dealing with Land Rover Corporate becasue the dealer in Cherry Hill, NJ could give a toss.

They just keep telling me the standard customer service sentence, we'll take it up with the dealer and get back to you.

The dealer actually told me that the warranty on my new transmission is only good for the original warranty on the car, and then tried to get me to buy the 100,000 mile warranty for $1100.00.

I still have a year left to pay on it, but I am afraid it won't be running in another 3 months!!

My advice do not buy another Land Rover!! Apparently this is typical of the brand.
  • bpatersonbpaterson Member Posts: 1
    You may have problems with the EMS which is why most dealers are reluctant to look to much into it as it is expensive. I took a similar problem to fair trading who contacted the dealer, and funnily enough they bent over backwards to get the job done. Make sure all problems are logged and all visits to the dealer is also logged as they have a tendancy to exagerate the truth.
    Good Luck
  • spgspg Member Posts: 1
    Let me tell you. I have a 2002 Freelander and the first year I had it, I had to take it to the dealer at leat 10 times and I have the services invoices to prove it. I bought it used, my initial thought was to get a toyota....NOW how I wish I went with the Toyota!
  • freewhatfreewhat Member Posts: 1
    Well here we go, I have a 2003 G4 edition Freelander. Like many others on here I have had some minor problems that the dealership took care of under warranty no questions asked. But...the brakes! The dealership replaced the pads at about 12K miles because they were pulsing, felt like the rotors were warped. Now I am at a little over 30K and am being told the same thing you are about the rotors. Actually I was told I have done well to get this many miles out of them. It just doesn't seem right that the rotors on other new vehicles I have bought have lasted well over 60k and several pad changes without a problem. I have called and written Land Rover politely expressing my dissatisfaction with the situation. I have no idea if I will hear anything from them. The old phrase "planed obsolescence" comes to mind.
    I hope that Land Rover realizes that they are not even coming close to the quality standards that other less prestigious manufacturers meet.

:mad:
  • unionjackeeunionjackee Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Freelander and am pretty satisfied with it. I bought it with the intention of keeping it for several years. So far, maintenance hasn't been a big issue and my local Landrover service is good. However, my original warrantee is expiring at the end of January. I've checked into the Landrover extended warrantee program and the price doesn't seem too unreasonable. I need to make a decision soon. I'd appreciate shared comments on extended warrantee experience. Thanks.
  • jimmanjimman Member Posts: 2
    I too had this issue. The heater core was leaking coolant into the heater fan motor. One cold morning I went to turn on the heater fan and nothing. Turns out the fan finally burned out due to all of the coolant that had dripped into the fan. It was under warranty and the dealer replaced the blower motor and the heater core. I asked the kid behind the counter what it would have cost me if I did not have the warranty, he said somewhere around 1K.
  • dmacdonalddmacdonald Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2002 freelander with only 18,000 miles and I was quoted $4,000 for extended warranty up to 100K. Any similar experiences?
  • lakewoodlakewood Member Posts: 26
    Joey:

My Jatco transmission slips between 1 and 2 in the normal mode. It worked poorly the first 500 miles, then became intermittent again at 11,500. Is this the common problem people are writing about? It is unnerving to do a right turn on red and then...coast while slipping.

Other issues:
    -seat belt warning light wants to be on sometimes
    -replaced leaking rear light

Good stuff:
    -underbody rails protected me once from a hidden ceramic --pipe in a grassy field
    traction is wonderful

Better than he average Ford but, that trans is making me nuts. The dealer can't get an error code so, no repair. Contacted LandRover corporate. I am letting them think I want to exercise the Lemon Law to get some improvement. I really want the car, if it will go reliably.
  • f4errorf4error Member Posts: 1
    Dear deadlander

I have just read your message about the f4 error and a problem with the car changing from 2nd to 3rd...I have exactly the same issue...could this be linked to the throttle body on the car...as the computer seems to think that the throttle body is faulty?....how did you solve your problem?....many thanks!!
  • surferanniesurferannie Member Posts: 2
    After 5 trips to the service department since June of 2005 and the last one December 30th I asked Land rover corp. Customer Resources to buy back my 200 Freelander SE. It still under warranty @47K miles and all the service up to date. It has broken down on the California freeway at night and 4 other times with overheating/coolant issues (as they describe it at the service dept). At his point they have replaced about everything related to the overheating issue and want me to basically have faith that I won't break down again. Its pretty crazy having a supposibly luxury car that you have to carry a bottle of water just in the event of not if but when it will break down. I feel its a malfunction of the design and cannot be corrected. I'm currently pursuing the California dispute settlement program and then the lemon Law. California is a 3 strikes out for the same problem and the y have struck out 5 times.
  • gensadgensad Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 Freelander SE, and its been nothing but headaches. The Service Engine light comes on on a routine basis. The rear passenger windows have gone off track. I've had it serviced about 7 times. I have 2000 miles before the warranty expires and am in a race against time to trade it in for another vehicle, another brand. I think all I actually paid for the was Landrover insignia.
  • kaybe341533kaybe341533 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I bought a 2002 used. I just replaced the battery and now it's saying, enter security code. Anyone know where this is? I called LandRover and they don't know.

Thanks,
    KB
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    The security code is for the radio.. Hopefully, the prior owner put it with the owner's manual... or wrote it down inside... Once you lose power to the radio, you need it to get it operational again...

If you can't find it, you might try the original selling dealer... they may have it on file... otherwise, you'll probably have to pull the head unit to have it reset..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• drhudsondrhudson Member Posts: 1
    I have had nothing but problems with this vehicle which I purchased new. You will need the warrantee more than ever the more milage you get. Endless issues. One day the transmisson just went, F4 error message on the dashboard, no reason. I never ever drove off road, nothing. I have spent over $15,000.00 on services and repairs. Once the vechile hits the 45,000 mark WATCH OUT here comes the service fees, this will cost you lots and lots of money. I would seriously consider putting that money towards another vechile. I love the way the vehicle looks, but it just is not manufactured very well, sad to say.
  • krawlersonkrawlerson Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Freelander. Just found out from dealer that it will cost $10K to replace the long block assembly. Started out as losing coolant, then replacing thermostat, now this. I am at wits end.
  • exfreelanderexfreelander Member Posts: 1
    I made the same mistake everyone did here. I bought it because it looks great (and it really does) but since the day I got it home, I visited the service center 5 times!!! It's just not worth it. And worst of all, the transmission was slipping and the LR mechanic insisted that its ok. And the smell coming out of the vent was disgusting,again, the mechanic insisted that's how a "Freelander" smells. Its unbelievable! I am happy to say that I am a exfreelander. got myself a nice 2005 Pontiac Vibe and very happy with it!
  • martman99martman99 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone experienced the following. Burning smell emanating from under hood. Multiple problems after 45 K of normal use? Electric locks fail; throttle assembly failure; transmission problems? LMK what is out there

Thanks

Marty

PS It has been in service 3 times this last year and we have have all the recommended service performed :cry:
  • rvrmsrvrms Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Freelander. I bought the car at the Wilmington (DE) Land Rover and was more than pleased at the service and courtesy always displayed. The car has had only minor problems and those were handled efficiently and immediately by Wilmington LR (I cannot say enough positive about the dealer there!)...

I recently moved to Cape Cod MA and had a very sour experience with the dealer there. The service manager was totally arrogant (and i am not a "finicky" customer) in my opinion and acted like he was doing a favor for me to put me down for an oil change appt. Moreover, they charged me to put on the front license plate bracket (which should have been on the car to begin with, but never insisted as did not need in DE--I brought it with me--MA requires front and rear plates).....I cancelled the oil change appt. and have not been able to find a local garage to do it.

I am experiencing now some quirks in electrical system--the wipers will sometimes not come on right away--the alarm system will blink sometimes when open the car with remote entry....and I am worried about all the complaints I read on this board.

I have been looking to replace the car as warranty is near its end (I have about another 6,000 miles left).. Choices--TOyota (Highlander)...looked at Honda CRV and it definitely is much smaller than the Freelander for passengers and driver and handles a lot differently (I do not care for it).... The Honda Pilot is too large..and I do not wanna go American...Wondering if I should look into extended warranty for the Freelander--does anyone know what it costs and what it covers exactly?

Also, I heard that the "new Freelander" is to be called the LR2...and inside news as to quality, what is changed, etc? I was satisfied with my Freelander as long as everything is under warranty...but am fearful of what it will cost when that has expired.. :confuse:

Sorry to be so long-winded...Hope to hear some thoughts..

Thanks....rvrms

The car
  • zoolanderzoolander Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Freelander has changed my life. The best part about owning my Freelander is that I have come to know many North Metro Atlanta Freelander owners who hate their Freelanders as much I do mine. We meet pretty regularly at Land Rover dealerships, most likely Northpoint in Alpharetta. Northpoint LR has a very homey service department lounge which has become more familiar to me than my own living room. My Freelander has consumed three radios, two cruise control units, a handful of “check engine” sensors, two heating or air-conditioning cores (I forget which), two sunroof motors …
    I just gave up on the BBB process and contracted with a lawyer after many failures. I lost patience and did not want to attend the arbitration alone. Lawyers would not go. So far, it looks like I would need to truck my car as the rules require bringing it. It is supposed to run before the canceled hearing but, I decided to make a decision now as only 3 days were left. I did not want to bear the expense of trucking it to the hearing. I can't take digital pictures of a transmission not shifting from 1 - 2. Out of service is now over 45 days. How did you get them to buy it back through the BBB process? I have a 2005. I love the styling but, I am sorry I bought this car.
  • busta5busta5 Member Posts: 9
    :lemon: Bought my Freelander new in 2002. From the beginning had electrical problems that had windows frozen and the radio not working. The back window would go down on its own for no apparent reason. Wheel components visible from the hubs rusted and look hideous as did the rivets in all four wheel wells. Brakes had to be replaced THREE times in four years. The back folding single seat got stuck in the folded position twice and the dealer was in no hurry to schedule a repair, leaving us without the use of the back seat for over a week. The service dept at the dealer in Solon OH act like they are doing you a favor by looking at any problem outside of something you have to pay for, and the service manager is rude. The agreement when buying the car was the use of a car and delivery of one when service or repair was needed seemed null and void when actually requested. You would think I was using the service managers private vehicle! Trying to get the dealer to honor and repair for recalls OR warranty issues was impossible. Sent the car in for an oil change and recall and the car was returned without the recall being done and I only found out after several frustrating inquiries. After four years of vigilant service on my part the car motor went south. Got tired of putting up with the arrogance of the land over service personnel so I sent the car to an independent mechanic. Was told that the motor was failing and after two additional opinions was advised to get rid of the vehicle. I called Land Rover service to inquire as to why on earth a four year old car would need a new motor, and you know what the ever fabulous polite and professional service manager had the nerve to say to me? "Have you been changing your own oil?" Really, he actually asked me that. I have put more money into this car than I would like to admit, had a Mitsubishi for 13 years and did not put that much money into it. Between the poor craftmanship and the wash my hands of you attitude of the service dept, I would advise anyone against buying a LR product. NEVER AGAIN. Got rid of it and if you are looking at Freelanders..........BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID!
    I am pursuing a buy-back of my 2005 LR says NO so far. They want to be difficult. I hired lawyers now. I have had 51 days out of service in 10 mos.. After a new transmission was installed reverse is rough. They tested it. Missed a detail in testing. The dealer in Solon polite and says LR corporate won't authorize parts. Not much more to say. After over 30 days in the shop, I called an hour later for a new appointment.
    My 2005 has been in the shop 51 days in 10 months. Pursuing buy back. LR says NO. Replaced trans.. Digusted.
    Is there enough interest out there to attempt a class action lawsuit? I am interested. My 2005 is a disaster. Enough is enough. LR is refusing a buy-back so far.
    Most lemon laws stop at 18,000 miles. You are in a pickle.
    You can get the back seat up if you put pressure on the rear section and then lift up. Latching is tight.
    Actually this happenned twice and it was impossible to get the seat to release. The dealer couldn't get it to release without an actual repair. Of course this took an act of God. But maybe we should try something similar with the motor problems? This one wasn't tight, it was broken. Believe me, we tried everything possible to avoid having to deal with the service jerk. This level of vehicle should not have the myriad of problems it has. Land Rover needs to admit they have a lemon here. Like a damn YUGO for goodness sake. :sick: :lemon:
    Solon is an EXCELLENT DEALER. Give them a chance to help you. They are only as good as the factory they represent.
    They have a new service manager....new people and new people to give a change to help. I am in the process of getting legal help against the corpoation, not the dealer. They can only do what the factory authorizes. Seek legal help against the corporation and help the dealer help you. I agree, they should be a way better car. I fear what nmay happen when I get to your milage. I may double my oil change frequency as a stop gap measure.
    The Dealer Sales Dept. is excellent, the service dept. is terrrible and the manager is rude. I have four years experience with it. Given them many chances and walked away disappointed each time. Got rid of the Freelander and am glad to see the back of it. Now, I have already stopped two people from buying LR products and will continue to try to save anyone from the same hassles I have. I would not rate Solon as an Excellent dealer, I would say they are an OK DEALER WITH A LOUSY SERVICE MANAGER. :lemon: :lemon: :sick: :sick:
    Well, this change must have occurred within the last eight days? That is when I was asked if I was changing my own oil. No, still very serious problems there with customer relations in service dept. If the service dept. had been cooperative from the beginning with warranty issues and recalls then perhaps we would not have had the problems. But when you get a letter from LR announcing a recall and the dealer doesn't give a care, well it is actually the dealer that has the problem. It will be interesting to hear how your legal problems work out. I am driving a new car, NOT a Rover...NEVER AGAIN.
  • sinniksinnik Member Posts: 1
    Been reading your posts with interest. I purchased Disco Series II S 2003 new from Solon OH Davis Auto. Problems from the beginning with this car and the most important being the suspension lowering while driving. The service department is about as obnoxious as you can get. Never have I found them to be helpful and they always use the excuse about only being able to do what the factory authorizes. I found out too late that is the excuse they use without even checking with anyone. Maybe you will wake up and see the reality when YOUR car is out of warranty. You should fear what will happen when your mileage gets higher because once you cross that magic line of out of warranty their screw you attitude changes to hanging up on you when you call to not even trying to schedule you in. Why are you even considering changing your oil change frequency, if that is what the factory advises? That EXCELLENT service dept suggest that? If you do ANYTHING out of their recommendation they will use that against you but they will also take your moeny when you double the service. And new service manager? Ahhh, my car is there right now and they are the same bunch of winners I have been looking at forever. It sounds like they are stringing you along to get you out of warranty and you are following like a lemming. Be careful, I smell a naive trusting soul here. About to get screwed by a less than reputable dealership. They make money, not friends.
  • perez22perez22 Member Posts: 1
    Got an email yesterday morn with a link to this page. It is great to actually belong to a group of people that hate Freelanders. Don't need to post anything here about problems with my Junklander really because I will just be repeating almost everything I have read here. (Current issue is head gasket, yes...a 2003!) Only, I would say to be careful trusting a certain dealership since they are known for shoveling baloney to the customer. The waiting room has great hot chocolate, coffee and tv, even good magazines!!! But the best part is the conversation with other p-oed owners. Sometimes I think they are hard to get appts because they try to make sure certain people are not together at the same time. I have had success with the service manager because being persistent and loud has helped me but it still gets old. I have met some interesting people while waiting for nothing to happen at the garage. The last time I was there they said they didn't have a loaner for me to use, but when a group of us waiting started talking about our repeated problems, wala...zoom I had a car to wisk me off to the mall. His face went white when each of us said we would rather wait. What a bunch a bunch of operators. Sinnick, I know someone who got a buy back because of the same issue out of Akron dealership but it took a lot of work and legal fees. The dealership steps away once you go legal since they won't help go after their franchisor (take note here lakewood) and they become very aloof. My friends suspects that the dealer was actually working against them in reality but cannot prove it. They had suspension problems as well. Finally got an arbitration award for either a buy back or new car and they took the money and got the heck out of there. Found out after the fact that several of the same issues came out of that very dealership, but the dealer kept telling them they were the only one with the problem. Keep trying.
  • noconoco Member Posts: 3
    Just got off the phone with corporate, who informed me that based on the fact that the problems I've had over the past three years of ownership, there's nothing they can do about my engine seizing, assumably because it ran (or suddenly sprinted) out of oil. Has anyone had similar engine failures? It's stranded at Solon right now, but I got it at Westside, who is currently ignoring me. I can't afford to pay $5000 to replace the engine on a car that's worth only $10,000. I found this forum minutes ago and have yet to page through the hundreds (!) of postings to find out if I am alone in this world.
    Yeah, but, until I get a buy-back or whatever comes out of the hiring of a nationally known law firm, I am dependant on the dealer to keep me rolling. Getting loud does not work. The dealership is unshakable. It only upsets me, not them. Remember, the claim is against the manufacturer and not the dealer. Dealers can't buy back a car. The manufacturer can. I have mine back now for 3 days. I have an appointment Monday. 5 days up time. Poor. I can't say I hate the car. I wish it would just do what it is supposed to do...go places. :cry:
    I hired a law firm to pursue Land Rover based on my experience and the experience of all of you. I do believe I am doomed. We bought cars that don't work well and all the diplomacy in the world will not fix that. Diplomacy might make the process to come less painful. The question is what next. This is a little like those "divorce support boards." We need a divorce from our cars and it is going to cost us through no fault of our own. We trusted a company to provide a reasonble product. Mine is not reasonable. Nobody should have to come up with a special trick to get the back seat up. Should work. It is reasonable to expect. Bigger parts fail.
    Which law firm?
    I suppose I should clarify -- I am also in NE Ohio facing week four since my 2002 SE died. If you have a non-identifying email address, could you please send it so that we can discuss whatever action can be taken?
    http://kahnandassociates.com/

Kahn and Associates, Cleveland
    There is no way to share e-mail addresses via the forum. I checked settings. My 2005 is not drivable again. It sounds like the engine or trans mounts are failed or something. I will limp it to the dealer Monday or, tow it. Pretty unbelieveable. This has become a saga. :lemon:
    I am no longer going to participate in this forum. Now that I have moved to legal help, it is not a good idea. I need to let the lawyers do the work. :sick:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you don't mind being contacted by email, you can mark it public in your profile. Click on someone's name to get to their profile.

Good luck with the buyback and please let us know what happens with it.

Steve, Host
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    :D My e-mail is now public.

I am running again. Missing bolt on motor mount this time. Guess I am still participating until squelched or something. I will try to keep it factual only so I don't get squelched.
    Buy back might be tough. We will see. Fixed profile. E-mail now public.