Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• roninjoutenroninjouten Member Posts: 201
    Heck you can buy nissans for under invoice BEFORE incentive kick in. The point is, the MSRP on the top line Accord is 25.5k. Nissan pricing the Altima about 1k-500 less than an Accord will make it quite competitive as normal reductions and the like on the family car lines (it's all about volume for those cars) will put the Altima near about 21-22k loaded. Not too shabby.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    $500 is not even worth mentioning in a $25K range car. I meant that at $25,000, people will consider it about the same price as an Accord. Some people will be excited about 240HP vs 200HP, but others will prefer having the peace of mind and resale value of an Accord.
    $25,000 Vs 25,500.00 is trivial.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    That neither Honda nor Toyota make truly sporty sedans. The Altima SE will probably have a sport suspension and be available in a 5 speed. Honda doesn't offer 5 speeds with their V6 and there is absolutely no sport to a Camry. So, as the Maxima used to do before the new Altima came along, the Altima SE will be the sporty alternative to both the Camry and Accord. The question is where does that leave the Maxima??.
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    you always pay for that honda resale up front..
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    $25k is the price of your average car these days guys... And 240hp is definatly not average! You guys are confused :P
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    A Pontiac Grand Prix GTP costs around $25K. 240HP as well (with a hell of a lot more torque). True, it does not have HID headlights.

I think Nissan should try to stay within the $25K range.
    but it is a GM product.. ;)
    Um...can't imagine anyone cross-shopping a cheapo-American disaster versus real cars by Japanese/European companies.

BTW, I know the average price of a new car is near 24k.
    imagine me.

here is my list for November, when my 300M's lease ends:

1. Another Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (loved my last one)
    2. Another Chrysler 300M (currently loving my 300M)
    3. 2002 GMC Envoy
    4. 2002 Olds Bravada
    5. 2002 Acura TL-S
    6. 2002 Nissan Altima V6
    7. 2002 Isuzu Axiom

You are dead wrong about Grand Prix GTP. It is an awesome car, too bad you are so stuck up that you don't allow yourself to learn more about it.

It is not anywhere near being a disaster.
    Never read a good thing about a GM/Mopar/Ford product. Not stuck up, just looking at reliability issues and CR. For the money, styling (or lack thereof) and the longterm headaches 6-7-8 years down the road, I don't see an American car as a good value.

As for that list, the Acura TL wins hands down. Best car of the lot by far. Great engine, super reliability, great re-sale...all around darn good car.

From what I've read Isuzu is to trucks what Hyundai is to cars.
    Yeah a nice car, but if I was looking at such an expensive car I would also consider the Infiniti I35, the Audi A4, a Lexus IS and maybe even a BMW 3 series. Unlike Ruski, GM and Chrysler products (except for the Corvette and the Viper) are not even an issue of consideration.
    Something bugged me initially, but that front end is getting my attention now.
  • surfing19surfing19 Member Posts: 46
    Why would you rather have a higher price vs a lower price for same thing. I would think nissan would stay at the 22k mark for a loaded 2002 Nissan Altima V6. I guess we will all know this August what the price would be.

By the way.. if i was going to spend 25k, i would spend 27 and get a base model Acura TL, which is as you know loaded, and will acutally hold it value unlike the Altima!
    There are people consistently getting Nissan's at invoice BEFORE incentives are added. So if an altima is priced at 25k it's gonna sell for 22 or so. TL's on the other hand have far less negotiating room as they're hot properties.
    You can bargain with Nissan. My Maxima SE had an MSRP of $26K...I paid $23K. Getting a Nissan below invoice is not unsual because the dealers get a lot of incentives, try that with a Honda product.
  • tkseatksea Member Posts: 1
    I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder but to me, I think the '02 Altima is ugly. Especially those ugly fake looking Cadillac tail lights. What's with Nissan and ugly rear ends? The engine and car specs look great but I couldn't see myself driving around in a car that had such an ugly butt. Anyway, I was in the market place for an '01 Altima and decided to wait to see what the redesign looked like. Now I know. Ordered my '01 Altima yesterday(not that it's butt is any better).
    The 2001 Altima's styling is much worse, so that is no reason to avoid a 2002.
    The current Altima's styling reminds me of some ugly early-80's slantback Buick Century and Olds Cutlass sedans.
    My advice is to see the new Altima in person before you make the final judgment. A lot of folks thought the car was "ugly" till they saw it in person and claim it was the best looking car in the auto show. Some cars look good in pictures some don't....
    Audi A4, Lexus IS300, Infiniti I30 - as we say in Russia they did not eat enough porridge when they were young. In other words, they lack a bit in the power department. A4 is a joke (HP to $ ratio).

I like my big engined American sedans with lots of power under their hoods.

Finally, Acura TL-S and Nissan Altima got some decent power too.
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    Ruski,

Nice problem you have--you've got to buy a new car shortly! Seems you have some nice choices. A few comments: In my opinion you needn't worry about resale value on the '02 Altima. This new car will be much better than the last, and its resale value must go up correspondingly. Plus it's a bit cheaper to begin with. BTW, I have 2 friends that own Nissan's, and they are very happy w/reliability (one is over 10 years old). As for the Honda's, including the Acura's, if you can get over the very boring looks they are good cars, if a bit noisy. The TL has an extra year of warranty than the 300M, but the 300M has way better styling, better brakes, and much roomier interior and trunk(I've driven them both a good bit). I read somewhere where the average age of a TL owner was in the 50s, and Honda was trying to figure out why so high-duh-open your eyes and look at the car! One last comment--3 of my neighbors are repeat buyers of GM cars and seem to be quite happy with them. I spoke with the one woman the other day and she says reliability is quite good. From what they tell me, reliability has supposedly improved dramatically from the 80's, which is when many of us last owned one. You might check what JD Powers and Associates says. In any event, good luck! My vote goes for the Altima, though, with V-6 and auto!
    Um, the IS300 hits 60 in under 7 seconds and has over 200 HP in a small package. Many magazines say that with a 5-6 speed the IS300 might even take the 3 Series Bimmer's title. Not sure about that but I know from experience that the IS300 has got more power on tap than 99% of the cars out there.

BTW, the I30 comes with 227 HP and is certainly no slouch either.

As for the A4, for 26k one gets 180 HP (170 officially) and better handling and road manners than any car for that money. It's a different kind of car than a little more expensive TL. The TL is a loafer and a great car, but the A4 is more serious performance, has an interior with character (3 to choose from actually) and most importantly, something the TL doesn't have: stick!
    In other countries, the IS may have a smaller engine with less power than the US models.
    He is from Russia.
    In my book, a lot of horsepower means 240 or 250 or more.

My '96 Buick Riviera had 240HP and 280 lbs*ft torque.

My '98 Grand Prix GTP had 240HP and 280 lbs*ft torque.

My '99 Chrysler 300M has 253HP and 255 lbs*ft torque.

I doubt the IS300 can do 0-60mph in under 7 seconds. Last time I checked test data it was somewhere in the 7s.

So what if some magazines say that with a manual tranny an IS300 will take on the 3-series? By the same token, I could dream of a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with 6 speed manual tranny kicking M3's butt. Currently IS300 is not available with manual transmission. Period.

I30 with 227HP is a slouch, sorry.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Of the group of cars you listed for a possible November purchase, go for the Acura TL-S. If you like the looks that is. It has a truly lusty engine, it howls very convincingly.

M
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Having lots of horsepower is all fine and dandy, but you have to look at how much weight it's pulling too. The 96 Riviera did 0-60 in 7.2 seconds, the 300M 7.9, the Bonneville 7.5. The Audi A4 turbo can do the same in 7.5 manual/8.2 auto and the V-6 in 7.3/8.4. So, where is all that superior power from those big horsepower engines? I sure don't see it. Having lots of power doesn't mean much when the car weighs nearly 2 tons. As for the power-$ factor, the A4 at 7.5 only costs 24K, the same amount as the Grand Prix. Not to mention you got a premium luxury car with high resale instead of just a lowly Pontiac. Obviously, the Audi can't compete room wise with the cars you listed, but when it comes to performance it is quite competitive, not the joke you think it is. Oh, and the I30 can handle the 0-60 jaunt in 8.0 seconds, so if you want to call it a slouch than you need to be ready to call your current 300M one as well.
    The point is, it's no slouch with it's silky smooth inline 6 and 5 speed auto. Lexus IS releasing a 2002 IS300 with a 5 speed. Almost every car mag is salivating at the thought. The 5 speed will put it right in competition with the 3 series for people who want entry-level sport-luxury.

BTW, the idea of a Pontiac even competing with an M3 is very funny. Uproariously so. Even if a GTP could match the 60 time, there's a level of handling, style, craftsmanship, heritage, exclusivity and value in an M3 that no Pontiac built in 2001 can match.

But then again it's not like people cross-shop a Pontiac and a BMW. The two appeal to two very different demographics. Bimmers are cross-shopped against A4s, IS300's, C-class Mercedes, 40 Volvos, the upcoming X-Type, marginally Acura TL's. No American cars are mentioned in the same breath as those makes. For good reason.
    I drive a GM product right now (not by choice) and I will never buy one ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever again. Period. Im tired of this soft, heavy POS...

Anyway, Ill take a WRX for 0-60 and around $25k thank you very much. People are getting 5.4 0-60's and 14.3 1/4 miles STOCK! :P
    Im sure the new Altima will come adequatly close to that, with the trade off coming in the interior size and luxury departments. And compaired to the GP and those other sedans ruski mentions, its a lightweight! (IE more HP/torque per lbs.)
  • draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    I know this is off topic, but I'm curious. Can you order a nissan from the factory? If you can, how long does it take, is the process any different from ordering say a Ford?

I thought this was limited to domestics only, with most foreign cars you had to take what they had in stock.
  • cncmancncman Member Posts: 487
    Draymond,
    yes you can order one from the factory, but unless you want something really unusual, it is easier for your dealer to trade with another dealer that has one, the only thing you can't do is order a vehicle in a way that nissan doesn't make it, or your own special color or something. Ordering has also gotten better with Nissan, the Nissans built in NA only take 30 days, the ones coming from japan, 45-60 days.
  • draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    Thanks for the info...
  • j_colemanj_coleman Member Posts: 143
    The IS300, A4 and WRX are all TINY cars. It sounds like the new Altima will be a good-sized family sedan. Someone mentioned it would probably have auto climate control, but from the pictures on Nissan's web site it doesn't appear that it will. It's going to be a tough decision between the Altima and 2003 Grand Prix!
    That the Infiniti I30 is no longer...it's now called the I35 because for 2002 the I30 gets the new 3.5L powerplant that Nissan put (detuned) in the Altima. This new engine generates 260hp same as the Acura TL-S. BTW...this summer the Maxima will get this same engine probably in SE-R form. Is that enough power for ya Ruski??.
    speedracer3 - 260HP in the I35, a good reason for the dealers to demand a lot of $$$ for it. Not interested.

lngtonge18 - do you know how heavy 96 Buick Riviera was? And it still did 0-60 in 7.1 seconds. The A4 in either auto or manual form still can't touch it. So much for less weight.

I mean I would love to have an A4 with its small weight and 240 HP or so. But that one is called S4 and is very expensive.

As for my 300M, yes it is not that quick from 0mph, although it has gotten much peppier with age. But when it starts pulling at 40mph, it is VERY impressive.
    Dealers can only "demand" what buyers are willing to pay.
    There is an all-new Lexus ES330 coming out this fall and the Acura TL-S with 260 HP is already here, so it's not as if the 260HP I-35 isn't going to have strong competetion.
    You brought up the Acura TL which is a $30K car. The Infiniti is also a $30K car (the current I30 is cheaper than the standard TL). So, as far as price goes you are still talking in the high twenties low thirties for these type of cars. FYI, Infiniti dealers are more flexible on price than Acura dealers.
    any dealer I think is more flexible than the Honda/Accord dealers... those guys are like a love child of a weasel and a leech. They try to suck you dry all the while giving you a massive run around in pricing to get you to pay close to sticker..
  • ineto6ineto6 Member Posts: 161
    my Acura dealer gave me near invoice price and I got a full deal on my trade-in (according to Edmunds estimate at the time) I didn't have a tougher time than when we had to deal with buying our Maximas.
    They vary. If you don't want to deal with pushy sales people, once you have decided on the car you want, then use a service like Carsdirect.com, Autobytel, AAA, Costco, and on and on.
    There is no reason to deal with it if you don't want to.
    Some people use Carsdirect.com to price cars, then go to a dealer to see if they can haggle out a better deal. However, you can turn that around and go to the dealers first to look at cars, kick tires and do test drives, then go buy the car at Carsdirect if you don't want to deal with marathon negotiation sessions in some tiny sales manager's office.
    in the times I've dealt with dealers... the ones that are the worst are the Honda folks... no one else has been to adverse to negotiating as they have been.

and I'm not buy another car as my driveway is stocked up for hopefully the next 5 yrs..
  • ineto6ineto6 Member Posts: 161
    maybe true... Honda, not Acura, salespersons are usually pushy... from my personal experience. We do have one very good Honda dealer in town where the salespeople are friendly that you'd think you are buying a US car... LOL
    Actually, Honda only has two hot vehicles that are hard to get. The S2000 and the Odyssey minivan. Accords and Civics are a dime a dozen. So they really don't have room to be arrogant when selling the cars competing with the 2002 Altima.
    This is not 1980 when there were quotas on foreign imports preventing the dealers from keeping a reasonable supply on hand to meet the demand.
    Ive noticed the Nissan salesman were one of the most willing-to-negotiate dealers ive been too... Honda is definatly the stiffest, along with BMW (unless you order).

Speaking of ordering, it depends on the specific car really... Some cars are hard to get (like the WRX) or hard to get with exactly what you want (BMW 3-series) and dealers are always more willing to negotiate on ordering comparied to buying off the lot... They dont get a chance to stick that extra mark-up sticker on the windshield :P
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    my parents negotiated a 2000 GLE from a crazy $33,000 ($5,000 dealer mark-up that idiots were actually paying for when across the street was an Infiniti dealer with $31,000 I30s) down to $26,000. Sure it took till 4 am but they did it! lol

ruski: i hope u understand that its not so much about power but the power to weight ratio...but u probably knew that, just checkin ; )
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    You mean to tell me you would be able to tell the difference between the A4 2.8 stick's 7.3 and the Riviera's 7.2? Come on now, be realistic, we are talking about a tenth of a second! Besides, the Riviera is dead, so comparing it is pointless. If you look at the other #s, the A4 in both four cylinder trim and V-6 can beat all the cars you are looking at except the TL Type S, if you are willing to deal with a stick. Even if you must have an auto, their numbers are nearly neck and neck. And if you admit to being impressed by your slower 300M's power, than why wouldn't you be impressed by the faster A4? I think someone needs to admit they simply like the sound of the larger horsepower numbers and being able to say "mine is bigger than yours" even if there is no real performance gain :)
    Riviera is dead but the engine lives in Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and Buick Regal GS. These cars do 0-60 in 6.6 seconds. With the auto transmission.

This is what I meant to say when I compared Riviera's 7.1 seconds versus A4's 7.3 seconds:
    Even with the stick, the A4 is slower than a much heavier Riviera that only comes (came) with an auto tranny. Please don't make it sound like more HP is meaningless.

Yes, my engine is bigger than yours and it makes me very happy.
    ...kinda embarassing. First off, it's a 3.8L engine and with a supercharger it's only producing 240 hp. BMW's inline 3L 6 makes over 300 NA horsepower. Honda's NA 3.2L V6 makes 260. Nissan's new 3.5L makes 260 in the I35 and some are guessing near 300 from the Z version. The current Maxima is making 222 outa 3L.

Guess it's just me but when you supercharge a high displacement motor you'd expect it would offer superior HP to lower displacement engines that are NA. Gosh those GM engineers are pretty special.
    Yeah those American cars have big engines and they are fast, but they are also big and heavy and handle like boats. Take a Riviera or Grand Prix through twisties and then do the same with an A4 see what happens. While you are talking big American cars why don't you add a Mercury Grand Marquis or Ford Crown Victoria to your list. You get tremendous gas guzzling V8 power, big boat feel...should be right up your alley. Also you would be in an exclusive group of owners...the police, you, and senior citizens.
    Something about that beast with the 300 HP V8 and the police suspension. It could be fun. too bad it's an auto.

BTW, somebody is so hot on the GTP and I saw in MT that it only pulled 61 MPH through the slalom. Sad.
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    If we're going to discuss the new Altima here, great. If not, I'd like to refer this topic to the existing Altima discussion.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    allelujah
This discussion has been closed.