Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    here we go, you are on the edge of starting the HP/L nonsense.

The supercharged 3.8L in the GM cars can produce much more power. It had to be detuned because the transmission in these cars is only rated for up to 280 lbs*ft torque. The preproduction Grand Prix prototype, the GTX, made 300HP easily.

BTW, how much torque does that Honda 2.0L produce? Don't bother replying, I know the answer - very little. The 3.2 L engine in the Acura Type-S is relatively wimpy on torque as well.

You seem to be misinformed(although quite opinionated). FYI, the Riviera was not too bad in the curves, and Grand Prix GTP is not bad either. It is not at the top of the class, but it can hold its own.

300M is actually known for very good handling, especially in the PHP version (that's what I have). I think it is only 1mph slower than a Corvette through the slalom test. As for 300M's power - I almost spanked a last generation Mazda RX-7 the other day on a lonely stretch of highway. Almost because we tied. Way past 120mph (I could not tell how fast, because the speedo stops at 120)

Thanks for reminding me about Grand Marquis, I have been quite excited about the upcoming Marauder.

Oh yeah, got to say something about the Altima - I think it looks great and promises to be an awesome car.
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    The upcoming altima, with 240 hp and 246 lb ft, is said by Nissan to do about 7.2 seconds 0-60 with auto, 6.3 seconds with manual. The Olds Alero, which to my eyes is a fine looking car, does 8.1 seconds (from car and driver) with its 3.4 liter v-6 making only 170 hp and about 200 lb ft. I hope Nissan is understating the 0-60 with the automatic--doesn't seem that good to me. I think if I waited till '04 they would have a 5 speed manual from the Z in it by then which would help acceleration at least 1/2 second and probbly bump up HP as they plan to do with that engine in the Maxima. HP are nice, but I want flat-out speed. Do others find that 7.2 number rather high? Granted it will still be class-leading, but that engine is a monster and has the potential to do more.
    Oops--meant to say I think by '04 they will have 5 speed AUTO from the Z, not manual.
    basically the story with the auto tranny and 0-60 numbers of the 2002 Altima seems to be similar to Chrysler 300M (which I think is still heavier than the 2002 Altima) - impressive HP and torque numbers, but 0-60 is not as strong as one would expect.

Can't wait to testdrive the new Altima.
  • roninjoutenroninjouten Member Posts: 201
    The Altima's torque and HP seem quite intoxicating. Though the poor fuel economy is troubling. I do like the audi-esque ambience choices for the interior.

As for the GTP. According to the lastest Motor Trend the GTP pulls through the slalom at 61 mph. Compared to an IS300's 67 mph, a BMW 328i's 66 mph and I can't find info on the TL Type-S but the base TL pulled 62 mph, so odds are good the better tires and suspension should up that. Based on past experience with Nissan's, I'm fairly sure the SE Altima for 2002 will do some major numbers too. Or at least Acura numbers.

The 3.2L in the TL puts out only 232 lbs.-ft of torque. Compared to your much larger and supercharged 3.8L's 280 that is small. But then again, it's a bigger engine and it has a supercharger yet it's only pulling 240 hp/280 torque. Your explanation makes some sense until you notice Pontiac has had the GTP in production for quite a spell, they could have fixed the transmission issue. Hmmm.

BTW, the Chrysler 300M's numbers are nice all around. Nice body style too. Though if you were "spanking" a last gen RX it means the driver wasn't trying or didn't know what he was doing. Short of an exotic or a Supra from that era, not much can spank a 255 HP RX-7. That thing was a rocket in any gear. driving one of those I've pushed people back in their seats just by goosing the throttle. Only other car I've felt that much pull in was a Turbo 911.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    And I quote from Freshalloy.

"We think Nissan is being extremely conservative with the numbers and doesn't want to reveal better numbers until the near release of the car.

Note that Nissan went on a crusade against heft and weight utilizing aluminum for the hood, trunk, and some front suspension components. We predict the car will weigh in around 3,200 pounds even though it is larger than the current Maxima. One source indicates that the 4-cylinder Altimas will probably average around 28-32 mpg for those who aren't lead-footed as others. As for the V-6, expect a more palatable 25 mpg for highway driving."

I happen to agree....the inital posted figures do not make sense...if the posted figures were correct, the heavier Pathfinder with the same engine would do the BETTER gas mileage than the Altima. Impossible!
    I actually wouldn't be shocked if Nissan released a V6 sedan that only gets 18 mpg. Heck their current Sentra only gets something miserable like 27 or 28 mpg out of a 145 hp engine.
  • ineto6ineto6 Member Posts: 161
    why would Nissan wants to make the Altima any faster? It would eat into the performance of higher brethrens. The new Q45 can get from 0-60 in 5.9sec. Granted that an Infiniti is more luxurious.

as far as the GM 3.8L, it is capable of making over 300HP when S/C. But Pontiac can't do that since the Caddies are making around 300HP. Also, squeezing too much power... making higher compression engines tend to reduce durability.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Why are they building a car to compete with their Maxima under the Altima name? I realize they want to compete more directly with Honda and Toyota, but the Altima is a good name for a car in the $15-$20 k range, but not $25k. It seems redundant is all, and I don't think it will sell that well based upon most people who buy Japanese cars buy them strictly on their reliability reputations, which Nissan does not quite share with Honda and Toyota. Why buy an Altima when it will cost the same as a Maxima?

Now as far as the American car comments, have to say the Crown Vic is one hell of a car that lasts forever, would have bought one if they were dealing on them, instead got an Intrepid R/T. Also, the GM 3.8 engine, who cares what size it is if it puts out good power and fuel economy. I also think a 3.8 supercharged will run away from any of those other cars at a stoplight.
    I can see you have not been paying attetion. The new Altima will have 4 trims. Three of those 4 trims will include the 4 cylinder 180hp engine derived from the Sentra SE-R. Only the Altima SE will have the 240 hp V6. The Atlima will probably start in the teens (base model) and will probably top out at the same price as a Honda EX or Toyota Camry XLE. The new Altima is larger than Camry and Accord, it has more power, and more options. What's not to like??. The Maxima right now is a lame duck, but shortly it will be getting more power and will get more luxurious and grow in size.
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    Not too many V6's with auto trannys can take a supercharged 3.8 GTP at a stoplight. And the ones that can aren't in my price range. It's safe to say the Altima won't come close.
    This is all speculation. But the Altima V6 is supposed to weight ~3200 lbs. A GTP has larger displacement but is also heavier 3550 lbs. They both have the same horsepower rating. I wouldn't write off the Altima so quickly. Now, in 5 speed, watch out, according to Nissan the Alty is running in the low 6's.
    Should be a pretty close race between the GTP and the Altima V6 5 speed! I prefer mine auto, so I'll be test driving the auto Altima next year. Can't wait to see it!
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    for all these years the Altima was its lame duck.. too big against the smaller cars which the Sentra battled against, and too small for the Camcords which the Max goes against.. But what i think is the Altima will now more compete against the Camcords and the Maxima will be a more luxurious sports car aimed at folks going for the slightly higher cars like a 3-series or something like that.
    Nissan is going back to its roots with performance oriented cars. They have brought back the Sentra SE-R and the Z. There will probably be a Maxima SE-R this summer. Don't be surprised if the Altima eventually gets the SE-R badge too. An even FASTER Altima, now that's something to look forward to. Now if they would just bring the Skyline GT-R....
    I don't think the new Altima will be luxury-oriented. I think it will be missing many amenities, like auto climate control, navigation system, stability control, memory seats, etc. Nissan will most likely save the luxury amenities for the next-gen Maxima. Altima will be pretty basic transportation with a sporty touch.
    and what about HID headlights?
    All cars will have HID headlights eventually. It's a safety item, not a luxury one. Kind of like airbags when they first came out.
    where did my post go? oh well.. HID's aren't "safety" items.. they are luxury toys that everyone wants for the cool effect. if you want safety, get a night vision system installed.. that's safety.

per Edmunds the Lexus ES300 doesn't have navigation.. you wouldn't call that car luxury?

or the Daewoo Leganza? has Auto climate control. is that car luxury? no.
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    If you want a fast Automatic car redline, wait and check out the new Audi A4 V6... Its got a tiptronic Continously Variable Transmition thats faster than the 5-speed. Sweeeet transmition!
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    "most people who buy Japanese cars buy them strictly on their reliability reputations"

Actually, a lot of us buy Accords and Camrys for their refinement, excellent build quality, smooth free revving engines and excellent ergonomics. Looks like the new Altima may join the club. Now for those of you who get a big joy out of having the fastest accelerating times from 0 to 30 mph, you can have your agriculture sounding GM 3.8 equipped cars.
    Sorry, but HID (specifically Xenon) headlamps were originally designed as safety items. They provide superior visibility with less energy consumption. It's just like ABS and airbags - they appeared first on luxury vehicles and are now found on almost all vehicles. HID will be on all cars in the future. People here in the U.S. just see them as "cool toys".
    If you wait until '04 to buy a new car, here are some of the better choices that will be totally redesigned:

Redesigned Altima, Maxima, Camry & Solara, Accord (coupe and 4 door), TL, IS35 probably redesigned in '04, Intrepid, 300M, and possibly 1 or 2 new Infinity models.

The Infinity model range will go from 4 to 6 models. I think it's very likely they will create an Infinity model based on the new Altima, but really seriously upscale. Will compete against the TL, wherease the I35 will increase in size as the Max will in '03.

It's a great country. Ruski, what do they drive in Russia?
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    The 2004 big Chryslers are also supposed to go RWD and use some Mercedes components. Also, a redesigned Ford Taurus based upon the Volvo S80 platform is due for 2004. The Pontiac Grand Prix, probably using a 3.7L DOHC V6, will also be redesigned for 2004.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Visit www.mag-x.com

Here you will find some interesting things about Japanese cars coming to a dealer near you.
    but you really don't need them to have a safe car now do you? I'd rather have side airbags or cutain bags than a HID.

But what about the Daewoo? they still have auto climate control.. do you think they are Luxury?
    what do they drive in Russia? Anything they can get their hands on. If oyu went to Moscow you would see an huge number of MBs, BMWs, Audis (mostly A8s). Of course there is a great number of Ladas and Volgas on the streets too.

venus537 - save you agriculture comments for yourself. You have not idea what you are talking about, just repeating someone else's moronic comments.
    Ruski, if they're driving A8s and Mercedes, I guess the black market, and/or profiteers, are doing quite well. Ehaase, is Volvo now affiliated with Ford? If not, how could they use the S80 platform for the Taurus? My friend has an S80. Great safety features, nice looks, but for my taste a bit more road noise than there should be and the base model isn't overly quick. As for the Grand Prix, GM usually redesigns the Grand Prix/Regal every 7 years, so I was thinking '05 instead of '04. But then again, nowadays the cars come out in the prior year (e.g. the '02 Acura TL has been out since March), so I guess '04 is probably accurate, although maybe later in that year.
  • danny25danny25 Member Posts: 119
    They're redesigning the Altima in '04? I doubt it, why would they redesign it after only 2 years? Especially if it's suppost to be this great selling car. And the Maxima will be redesigned for 2003, not '04.
    To be a safer driver at night, yes you do need HID. Not only do they make your vehicle more visible but they allow you to see objects at greater distances and in lighting more like natural daylight. I do very little driving at night, so I wouldn't benefit from HID very much and would probably rather have side airbags like you said. The difference is HID can help prevent you from getting into that accident (at night) where side airbags can save your [non-permissible content removed] after impact.

On the luxury note - Daewoo isn't a luxury car. My statement earlier was about the new Altima lacking many luxury amenities like heated seats, memory seats, navigation system, auto climate control, etc. I don't see the new Altima as a near-luxury vehicle that you described. The next Max will have more of the luxury amenities. The Altima will be on the level of Accord/Camry, but much sportier.
    well then I think you misread my first post on Luxurious then..

But what i think is the Altima will now more compete against the Camcords and the Maxima will be a more luxurious sports car aimed at folks going for the slightly higher cars like a 3-series or something like that.

I was saying the Max would be geared towards the more upscale market and the Alty aimed at the the Camcords. The Alty will have some luxury amenities, but yeah, its not going to be aimed at any more "traditional" luxury cars.
    Oops, I did misread your post. You didn't go back and edit it, did you? :-)
  • CanyoncrestCanyoncrest Member Posts: 18
    The 2002 Altima looks really good, but I am still concerned about its crash worthiness. We have to wait and see the results from Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. I don't know "All-steel unibody with a 170 percent increase in torsional rigidity" means better crash worthiness.
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    Ford owns Volvo (the car portion, not the truck portion). Volvo is part of Ford's Premium Auto Group, along with Lincoln, Jaguar, Land Rover, and Aston Martin. Therefore, Ford has the right to use the Volvo S80 platform for the Taurus. However, the 2004 Taurus will use Ford engines.

Also, the Grand Prix was redesigned for 1997, so the 2004 model would be a change after 7 years of the current model.
    FWIW, a redesigned Grand Prix is coming out as a 2003 model. It is shifting into the near-lux segment.

Also FYI, there is not black market in Russia now. Hasn't been for quite a few years now.
  • surfing19surfing19 Member Posts: 46
    IS there any additional sites out there with pictues of the new altima other then the professional ones we are seeing at nissan web site.

Thanks
    danny25; No, I'm not saying the Altima will be redesigned again in '04, I'm simply saying that if you buy a new car in '04 the cars listed will have been recently redesigned--between '02 and '04.
    ehaase; Wow, Ford is really sizing up. Also, although I thought the Grand Prix first came out in '97, I believe they called it a '98 and it didn't come out till later in the year ('97). At least that's what my memory tells me. At least that was the case for the sisterships Intrigue and Regal. Or did the Pontiac just come out a year earlier than the Regal and Intrigue?
    I came up with those comments all on my own. I was outdoors a lot this weekend and I heard a lot cars accelerating from a stop and I don't even have to look to know when it's a GM 3.8/3.1 car. They don't emit pleasant sounds. That's my opinion and I don't need to be attacked for it. I have driven my father's car (a Buick Regal) and know first hand about the 3.8L engine. The general's most appealing car to me (for the class of cars being discussed) is the Intrigue with its 24 value engine. I'm sure this car will survive in some form in one of GM's other divisions.
    redline65...
    haha.. no. seems you can't go back and edit after you leave the forums. at least it never lets me edit unless I'm still in the forum, never a day or few hours after I first posted...

surfing19
    probably not.. well actually there is.. but the site is getting revamped and is currently down. When its back up I'll post the link. There is also video too. Its from the NY auto show
    Does anybody know at what trim levels the V6 will be available? From what I had read about the 2001 Altima the V6 will only be available at the highest trim level. I hope I'm wrong about this because I don't want to pay for all the bells and whistles to just get the V6. It would be nice if the engine would be available in a middle trim level for about $22k-$23k.
    The Altima will be offered in 4 trims. The V6 will only be offered in SE trim. In current Nissan models you can pick up an SE trim stripped or add in your own options. Let's see what's standard on the Altima SE and what options you can add. Remember, prices have not been released yet, so we really have no clue at this stage.
    price the Altima fully loaded higher than a 25k MSRP. Count on getting into a stripper SE for about 21-22k and a decked one for 23-24k. Nobody pays MSRP with a Nissan.
    Grand Prix came out as a '97. Mine was a '98, it was the second year in production.
    I don't know if I'd go that far. Remember that Nissan is probably counting on their four bangers to be the bread winners. If the V6 with options is more than $25K MSRP people will still buy it, but count on Maxima sales suffering. Then again, as you said, with Nissan there is always room to bargain.
  • alexradualexradu Member Posts: 9
    ... just wondering. Because for the most part North-American drivers drive very "wisely", if not slowly. That's mostly the fault of the legislators, with these stupid speed limits (55-60 mph is plain stupid with today's cars, and in a country this big, with huge distances between cities). On my recent 4000 miles trip in the US, I have been RARELY passed at 70 mph. Sure, everybody enjoys a spirited driving, but why would people pay top dollar for some performances they will rarely use ?

Anyway, I hesitate between this new (upcoming) Altima and the new (upcoming) Subaru WAX. I have yet to see both "in person", though...
    well I don't know where you are but in Florida on the interstates, its 70MPH (except I-4 which is 65) and I do 75-80 (depending what time it is) and I regularly get passed as it is at that speed.

I know I used to drive much faster in my youth (passed a cop in the median with radar once doing 100 and he never came after me).
    Ruski, thx for clarification on '97 Grand Prix. BTW, how has the reliability been on your 300M? And what year is it? Do you like it better than the Grand Prix? Also, you said you had the supercharged 3.8, correct?

Nikecar, you are without a doubt my hero for the week. Anyone who as a youth passed a cop with a radar in the median, going 100 miles per hour or better, has got to be a good guy. I think that's pretty funny. Now, if anyone over 30 years of age does it, they are a dolt and taking needless risks.

To no one in particular, I hate to see Oldsmobile go. The general didn't give them enough time for their new models to catch on, in my book. It takes time for a reputation to be rebuilt--more time than 2-3 years which is when Olds really started turning the corner, I think.
    first, everyone, please excuse my off-topic posting (again :).

I had a supercharged 3.8L in my GTP. It was awesome. There were two things I wished were better - dim headlights and slow-moving power windows. Everything else was great. Power delivery was of the "point and shoot" type. It had a very smart and smooth transmission.

300M is 1999. It has been good to me. It developed a bad engine speed sensor a couple of times and went into limp mode (running slowly and not shifting past 2nd gear) Dealer fixed it promptly, under warranty. It is an awesome car and is a blast at high speeds. It is also very maneuverable and corners very well. It is not very strong when accelerating from 0mph, it is good, got better with age, but not earth-shattering. I still love it. It has some nice luxury features that the Grand Prix does not have (memory seats, both front seats are 8-way powered and heated). But the GTP had some nice features too - Head Up Display was one of my favorite.

Now that my wife got her RX300, I don't have a luxury of choosing two cars and have to make a tough decision: another GTP, another 300M, or the new Altima? The Acura TL-S would be nice but probably too expensive (they don't pay as much in FL as they did in NYC)

I can't wait to test-drive the new Altima. I miss my GTP, but when there is a comparable car on the block, and it has MUCH better headlights and probably faster moving power windows...
    I'll tell you what.. I felt like pulling over and changing my shorts with the scare i had.. I kept waiting to see if he'd show up in the rear view mirror, but he didn't..

that was the day I drove from Daytona to Tampa in under 1.5 hrs. heh heh heh
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Altima won't be out till fall. CO has a few 75 mph zones where the impatient to get home folks in the passing lane cruising at 85-90 mph. Heck, even in NE folks are usually pulling 80 mph on the Mass Pike/I95 at the beginning and end of rush hour.

One can enjoy chomping on the gas and flying around on public roads, but there are plenty of driving schools, car clubs and tracks where you can take you vehicle on a regular basis and drive it to the limit in various ways. Learn some driving skills to boot.

-B
This discussion has been closed.