Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Fasterthanu: Your criticism is well-informed and reasonably expressed. I'm not talking about critics like you. Altima, like Honda and Camry, can take all the hits it gets from thoughtful critics. If you check the Carpoint site you will see what I mean. It is like a drunken brawl over there. I just wonder why Altima has stirred such passions over there, not Passat or other cars.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    is an easy prey
  • rtfmdudertfmdude Member Posts: 15
    It cracks me up everytime I see people ask if the advertising fee is real or not. It should not matter. The only thing people should care about is how much the car cost (before tax and license). Who cares how the dealer break the price down. For example;
    $20,000 = car + ad fee + misc.
    or
    $20,000 = car
    If you are comfortable with paying 20,000 then buy the car.
    If the ad fee are part of a dealer business expense then the dealer knows how much he have to charge you for the car (one price) to make a profit.

If the dealer try to include an ad fee after he qoute you a price. WALK.

You should only pay quote price + tax and license.
    Isn't that the way we buy other stuff in this world.
  • mney6mney6 Member Posts: 116
    Your right!
    The nice thing about selling the new Altima's is we are starting at Msrp and working down.By negotiating this way the ad fee is never part of the equation
    The only time it becomes a problem is by working by the manufacturers invoice up.
  • boravr6boravr6 Member Posts: 15
    Anyone figure out this:

The curve of the roof looks inspired from the Passat. Looking from the rear, definately Passat. The round tail-lights look like a "moving about" job.

Raced past a 2001.5 Passat and an Altima the other day at dusk....they both looked mighty close as clones.

Comments??
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    If they charge you a "processing fee" of $200, you should turn around and demand from them a $200 "customer patience fee" for having to wait for their processing, and maybe another "putting up with this nonsense fee" of $25.

Time is money. And if they surprise you with fees, why not do the same? If they ask you to split the difference, tell them you will do the same. ;-)

The profile does look a bit like a Passat, just stretched. A long-wheelbase Passat, if you will.

-juice
  • fasterthanufasterthanu Member Posts: 210
    It looks much more like a slightly-shrunken Town Car. Seriously - look at pics of both, especially in profile and from the rear.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    The Maxima is a better car. Maybe not in the looks department, but definately in the ergonomics and driving department. Plus, I think the interior is GREAT in the car.

Yeah, it has a solid rear axle, but that rear suspension is tried and true and I think it works fine. Coming from someone who had 5 1/2 years of Acura Double Wishbone, I don't notice much of a difference.

I am NOT dogging the Altima, believe me. I think it is a gorgeous car and I might have even considered it if it had been out in August when I bought my 02 SE Maxima.

It is going to be REAL interesting to see what the next Maxima is going to be like!

Obi
    OK, so it's a Town Passat. ;-)

Obi: I fully agree about the next Maxima. If Carlos "le cost cutter" Ghosn didn't swing his axe too hard to cut costs, it might just be a giant killer.

Still, the G35 is RWD and interests me even more.

-juice
  • cupholder1cupholder1 Member Posts: 231
    beat a WRX? hahaha
  • tcdenvertcdenver Member Posts: 18
    I "never" paid any fees for new car purchases for my two Nissans and any other vehicles in the past 10+ years. Adding fees is a way for dealer to squeeze every possible pennies from buyers. They don't care about you. They just care about profit. A penny is a penny. Insist on a price, including everything, and make it clear to the salesperson. The only thing you should negotiate is the "final price" you want to pay for the vehicle. Dealers always say that it is their policies to collect those ad and documentation fees. You have 100% right to decline them. In a sense, buying a car is like applying for a mortgage. Many brokers have a long list of fees and nobody knows what they are. And that is why it is often so frustrating to deal with a car dealer.
  • fingersray2001fingersray2001 Member Posts: 2
    Is anyone as disappointed in the New Altima as I am. I waited for two weeks for my local dealer to get one. ( I live in a small town, the next nearest dealer is 60+ miles away). I could not be more disappointed in this CHEAP car. My kids have better plastic on their toys. I ran to the Local Toyota dealer and picked up the new Camry
  • mney6mney6 Member Posts: 116
    Never is a pretty big statement.
    How do you know?
    There is a difference between a processing fee and a ad fee.
    Manufacturers have just started including it on the invoice amount the dealer pays in the last couple years.
    When you buy your cars,Do you agree on a out the door number,a percentage over invoice?
    It is being paid.
  • fingersray2001fingersray2001 Member Posts: 2
    Is anyone as disappointed in the New Altima as I am. I waited for two weeks for my local dealer to get one. ( I live in a small town, the next nearest dealer is 60+ miles away). I could not be more disappointed in this CHEAP car. My kids have better plastic on their toys. I ran to the Local Toyota dealer and picked up the new Camry
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    Do I really need to rehash that I DID win that race? Yeah, just keep thinking I didn't if it makes you feel better. You are wrong and I am right. Settled.

I need to drive an Altima. I haven't even BEEN in one to judge the interior as cheap! Hey, I don't go to dealerships much.

Obi
  • emmo1emmo1 Member Posts: 6
    Based on pictures, I was passionate about the new Altima. I REALLY wanted to like it and to buy it. After test driving it, I was still willing to endure the cheap plastic of the interior in return for the superior exterior styling and extra horsepower. But. What finally drove me to Toyota was the poor salesmanship on the part of not one but three different Nissan dealers. I almost bought an Altima last night but the dealer insisted we pay the $350 Advertising and Marketing fee -- it is certainly true that the final cost of the car is the only important thing, but this pushed it over our comfort limit, and the dealer wasn't willing to budge an inch. He lost the sale over $350. And Nissan was not willing to let us add a moonroof without also tacking on an additional $1600 'Convenience Package' that we did not want. Not only was Toyota willing to get us the moonroof without other option packages, the dealer was truly willing to work with us. Our final price came in well under the TMV listed by Edmunds. We also really appreciated the greater degree of refinement in the Camry's interior (compare, for example, the fine insulating seal under the Camry's hood in comparison with the cheap foam strip at the front of the Altima's engine; or the padded underside of the Camry's trunk and its hooks and gallon container holders vs. the unfinished look on the Altima's trunk). By themselves these small things didn't sway us, but when combined with price and dealer friendliness -- we were sold. So Nissan's expensive advertising was wasted on us. The Altima looks hot, but these cars will not walk out of the dealerships on their own.
    P.S. All this having been said, we will nevertheless proudly display the pharmaceutical-bottle canister that Nissan sent to lure us to their showroom.
  • bobbyknightbobbyknight Member Posts: 121
    I too was anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new altima, but was somewhat disappointed with the cheap feel of the interior. My problem is why buy the altima when you can get a Maxima for possibly less with the same features and a much nicer interior? I think Nissan took the cost cutting a little too far on this one. The materials in my 93 Civic are nicer.

By the way, Congrats emmo1!
  • tcdenvertcdenver Member Posts: 18
    Yes, I "never" agreed to any dealer fees or add-ons. If there are any, I am more than willing to walk out. When we got our Quest, we walked out over a $350 fee. The manager chased us down to the door and took the deal. when we got our Maxima, the manager "begged" us to pay a $250 processing fee. Again, we said "no" and still got the car, though we did not have to get up and walk to the door that time. Almost got a Camry, but refused to pay dealer add-ons (most are over-priced garbage any way) and deal was off. I hated dealer tricks and unfortunately too many customers are too polite to say no. For those dealers who insist on fees, they have too many polite customers.

Nissan dealers are not all the same. But tactics are very similar. We have better luck with classy Nissan dealers in Minneapolis than in Denver. Denver's Nissan dealers are like robbers and too many salespeople know too little.

As for Altima, I am still hoping to get one. For all the complains about the interior (including my own), I have to say that the 2.5S without too many options is a good buy and I am about ready to get one. But Nissan dealers here really scare me too much. I won't mind driving 50 miles to get from other dealers. But there is no guarrany that other dealers are better.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    ...ya weren't part of the target market afterall. Nissan's current line up is meant to sell to drivers, not passengers. :)
  • one_loveone_love Member Posts: 28
    "we're talking about the quality of the plastic"

That just sounds so funny everytime I here it.

Seriously though what else can you say about a car you don't even own? This isn't just pointed to you but others like you as well. You basically just babble your opinions over and over again. I'm really not trying to be mean or anything your certainly entitled to post. You say the interior is cheap. Ok, I think everyone knows how you feel about that. So why continue the All out agenda of making your sole purpose in life the Mission: "Hate, Detest and make the 2002 Nissan Altima seem as horrible as possible." you act as if the car did you dirty when you were young or something. People it's not as bad as it's made out to be. You'd have to push very hard to poke through the ceiling :) If we want to rant lets talk about BMW 7 series without lockable fuel doors or basically all American cars or the reliablity of VW's or VW and Hondas warranties or how VW's look too much like Audi's, how about how cheap the New CR-V is lets continue that shall we?

This topic has gone to nothing about the Altima and the new Accord is talked about more then the Altima now. Now the topic is just about Nissan dealers and how bad they are. Isn't their another topic for that?

Now that the 2002 Altima is out and about I would really like to discuss the Car with other OWNERS. Just like in the Maxima forums. If Altima owners would like to, maybe we should go back to the Nissan Altima forum and leave this one. Let us talk about any problems we have with each of us who OWN the car but most of all it's great qualities which definetly outweigh the bad. Just stepping out side and looking at the car keeps a smile on my face for the rest of the day. How about you other Altima owners?
  • lasher5lasher5 Member Posts: 22
    I think one-love answered his own question. Only when you climb outside the Altima can you appreciate it, from the inside it looks like crap.
    As for owners responding- if the huge number of unsold 02 Altimas at the local Nissan dealer is any indication- these cars aren't selling so they're just not any owners to respond.
  • iluvmaxiluvmax Member Posts: 33
    First as an owner of a Y2K max I will say that my interior is superior to the new Altimas. I am confidant Nissan will remedy this problem based on all the complaints about it, but this has not stopped people from buying Altimas (check Octobers sales figures)

Do you actually think that everyone who buys an Altima has the time to praise or trash it on this site? Maybe this thread should be closed and we should all move to the Camry forums and bow down and worship the God of Boredom!!
    May I ask what kind of car you drive? I'm just wondering why your e-mail address has the word intrepid in it. Hopefully you drive something else because you gotta be bold to call the Altima crap when you own that.

To iluvmax. It boggles the mind doesn't it you don't even own an Altima and you have time to get out of the way and trash a car you don't even own.

I just don't understand why people get all worked up about something they don't even own.
  • stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    I wouldn't worry to much about all the chaff you see in these forums. I think most lurkers who come here for information find it quickly apparent which contributors are trying to give thoughtful critiques and which ones are just spreading misinformation, both good and bad, for whatever reason. But, I think it is still valuable to those of us who may someday want to consider an Altima to be exposed to every point of view concerning the car. I, for one, want to hear what owners like yourself have to say, both positive and negative, about your car. I also want to know when and why someone makes a decision to look elsewhere. Hopefully, the absurdly redundant posts don't completely obscure or discourage the informative ones.
    I really appreciate your post and I would really like to here the good and bad (as with any car) about the Altima from other owners as well.

Honestly though the cars suspension is wonderful it hides bumps very well. My 87 Maxima is very harsh and the 2000 Maxima is significantly harsher then the Altima too.

The seats are very comfortable which I'm surprised no one prasies unlike the skimpy seats in the Accord especially the rear seats.

The bose system is hot I prefer crisp sound and clearity over base so I guess it depends on what you like it has 2 subs though so it's loud enough for me.

The the acceleration is very responsive maybe a little too much. If I tap the accelerater it flys off. Steering is light but after a while I got used to it. The car handles nice too.

The interior is really not as bad as people are saying everything is fitted well. The materials could be better but it's not so bad car to car. Like the Camry it's cheaper in some places compared to the Altima. I guess it's really just the cars of the time. Companies seem to be concentrating more on engineering and style. The interior is at least not boring unlike some cars and I appreciate that.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...I'm willing to cut through the passion, both positive and negative, in search of the nuggets that will help me form my own view of this car. That means I want to hear from everybody, though the ability to stick to the narrative, spell and compose complete sentences, and avoid elliptic emotional diatribes always helps. It's easy to skip over the verbal arm-waving, so I guess I'm of the school that everyone should have his/her say...I'm not obligated to listen to all of it, however.
    I don't think you're trying to be mean at all. You just come off that way :-). J/K.

I don't believe a person needs to own a particular car to voice his/her opinion about it. I suppose you don't have any opinions on cars other than the Altima?

I love cars of all kinds ... when I have the time, I'd visit all types of dealerships for new and user cars, just to look around, and I have subscriptions to five car mags, in addition to browsing Edmunds for car info. It's a hobby, and a cheap one at that.

Listen, George, Nissan has inundated the public with a lot of advertising claims, marketing campaigns, commercials, etc. They force-fed the public information about the Altima, and I took a look at their product. They made claims about quality improvements, and I and others here are assessing their claims and providing feedback.

I don't know if you peruse forums other than this, but I've made comments about other cars too - constructively as I am here. I don't detest the Altima in the least - I believe it's an incredible improvement (in many areas) over its predecessor. It's just lacking in comparison to its current competitors, and that's MO.

Just to show some solidarity with you, I made a little stink over BMW's iDrive control, which I am sure you don't like as well.

AS for discussing Nissan dealers, that's a topic that is totally in line with this forum, IMO. If someone is researching a car, information about dealership experiences is integral to that - the final step to owning a car is to deal with the people who sell it. This is why Edmunds rules - it is informative in ALL areas relating to cars.
    Just got the Consumer Reports 2002 Buying Guide, and they gushed about the "high quality interior" in the Altima, also saying the interior was vastly improved over the outgoing model.

Touchee! Not everyone agrees with the nay-sayers here. At a minimum, it's a subjective measure. It may "feel" cheap to some, but I think it's a stylish cockpit, and frankly I don't drive around feeling my dash board. If you do, I have this friend who is a shrink... ;-)

IMO an Owner's Club would be good for Altima owners that want to keep it more exclusive. A general topic like this should be kept as an open discussion among shoppers, car guys, owners, you name it, so long as it's about Nissan or the Altima.

I've mentioned this in other forums as well, but if most or all of the criticism for a particular vehicle comes from non-owners, that makes me want to buy it.

-juice
    LOL of course it's a subjective measure. Some people may find cheap plastic appealing, or don't know better for lack of research. But it doesn't hurt to point it out, does it?

I respect Consumer Reports, but don't necessarily agree with everything they say. I'll see their review for myself.

Style is also quite subjective, wouldn't you say? To say the Altima is stylish is also a matter of opinion. I think my RX is stylish, too. And yes, I do touch and feel the dashboard and leather trim often, but don't feel the need for a shrink. It just makes me happy ... ;-)

<< I've mentioned this in other forums as well, but if most or all of the criticism for a particular vehicle comes from non-owners, that makes me want to buy it. >>

Unprecedented numbers of people have criticized the Aztek - do you want to buy it?
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    I'd also like to throw in my vote for an Owners' Club. I think it would be very helpful for people who own a new Altima.
    I don't find cheap plastic appealing, I find a well styled cockpit appealing. Like I said, I don't go around massaging the plastics! :o)

It doesn't hurt to point it out, but frankly it's getting a little old, and some posts seem mean spirited IMO. Otherwise why would owners want to get their own topic?

The Altima is to mainsteam sedans what your RX was to SUVs. It breaks the mold, with cutting edge styling. I'm sure you can appreciate the fact that they're striving to offer a little spice, something different than the Camry/Accord.

I personally find the RX a little too "space truck" looking, and prefer the boxy and utilitarian Highlander, but I'll admit the bold design is appealing to consumers, kind of like the Altima is.

-juice
    Funny you said that an RX is a little too "space truck". Someone in this forum earlier mentioned that his mother thought the Altima looks like a "spaceship". Guess where we know automobile design is headed.

Owners SHOULD get their own topic - that much I agree with. Just means we get to rag on the Altima without interference here :-).
    I like the looks of both the Altima and the RX300. Does that make me a "space cadet"?
    Looks like NASA is the major influence on design nowadays...

-juice
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    we're slowly heading to the "Jetsons" era.
  • thomcinthomcin Member Posts: 29
    I read the Consumer Reports article and do not remember the comment about a "high quailty interior". However after having driven 4 new 3.5
    Altimas I note the following facts. The Dash is made of hard, cheap plastic. The panels that form the front and rear doors did not uniformly fit in any of the 4 models I tested. They are quite unsightly. The quality of cloth on the seats is extremely poor, what you would expect to find on rental furniture. Yet the 3.5 is responsive and quick. The brakes work well and stops are short. The trunk is large and the handling is good. But please don't tell me the interior is fine or a matter of opinion. Nissan had better get to work on an upgrade, beacuse once the new has owrn off this model they could be in real trouble if no upgade is made.
  • pkalagarapkalagara Member Posts: 4
    I read the consumers Report & remember reading

positive comments about 2002 Altima's interior.

Well if thats not good enough here is another

2002 Altima review who seems to have no problem

with its interior. So please don't tell others

interior styling is not subjective. It definitely

hasn't been unanimous about Altima's interior.

All I am saying some people are so obsessed

about bashing this new Altima.. they talk about

it as if its a room that doesn't move & nothing

about this car matters other than the interior.

This car definitely stirs passions both negative

and positive. When Nissan debuted this car they

said its not for everybody, looks like its true.

http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/Jedlicka/Nissan/Altima/2002.asp

Nice Interior

The quiet, nicely designed interior easily accommodates four tall adults. There are supportive front bucket seats, a tilt-telescoping steering wheel and recessed, backlit gauges that can be read quickly even when the sun is shining brightly.

The large, smooth controls are within easy reach for most persons. Cupholders are big, but the rear windows don't slide all the way down; they should go all the way down in a family sedan because kids in the back seat will often reach for food and beverages in drive-through lanes at fast-food outlets.

• pkalagarapkalagara Member Posts: 4
    I visit this forum often, but I don't post much. So rookie error. Sorry :-)
    About your spacing ... what a newbie. :-) j/k

That review was hardly a glowing one. C'mon, no one is bashing the Alty. It's a discussion about the car's merits. Where has anyone NOT acknowledged the car's speed and roominess? We're just here to bash ..uhm, critique its shortcomings as well as its merits.
    While I was over at Carpoint checking out that review, I wandered over to the User Reviews section for some laughs. There are some very well thought out reviews there. Take this little nugget of wisdom, for example:

"Pros:
    Nada...
    Cons:
    This car looks like a diseased maggot.
    Overall Review:
    People will laugh at you for owning such a horrible car!"

Or this one:

"Pros:
    NOTHING
    Cons:
    EVERYTHING
    Overall Review:
    A VERY UNSAFE CAR. PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT THEIR LOVED ONES SHOULD NOT RISK DRIVING AROUND AROUND IN THIS TIN CAN"

Makes you appreciate the old Town Hall a bit more, doesn't it?
    Jetsons, yes!

The comment about the interior that I quoted came from their introduction. They once again mention the vast improvement from the last generation in the quick review of the car.

The one I drove had no noticeable misalignments or other quality glitches. Compare it to the Buick-like flat dash on the Camry and the Altima has more appealing cockpit for the driver. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it! ;-)

I agree that reviews from the press that I have read have been unanimous about praising the interior. Consumer Reports, Car & Driver, and Car Point all gave it a thumbs up.

I challenge you to provide photos of 4 different cars where the front and rear door panels do not line up. Sorry but I don't believe that for a second.

-juice
    Four Japanese adults, perhaps. Certainly not anyone over 6 feet. My line of vision was obstructed even with the front seat fully lowered -- and my head was only about an inch or so from touching the roof, fully lowered. The sunroof certainly doesn't help... but then, there don't seem to be any SE's without one.
    Really? The dealer I visited had moonroofs on less than half their Altys.

Maybe they should make the ones like the old CRX had, that went up and out, spoiler style. They were cool.

-juice
    The dealers seem to have non-SE models w/o sunroofs. However, from my experience, the only 5 speed manual SE's available are loaded with every possible option that there is, except maybe for leather.
    Now that I think about it, I do think both their 5 speeds had moonroofs. But I want both so that was fine with me.

-juice
  • himomerhimomer Member Posts: 59
    I know a woman who was getting a Mazda 929, but she wanted the car for $100 less, but the dealer wouldn't budge. So her husband said that the would spilt the $100 with the salesman and if they would come down $50 then they would buy the car. The dealer refused, so they went across the street and bought a Mercedes-Benz in about an hours time, so when they left the lot they were blowing the horn and waving at the Mazda salesman. Goodluck on the Camry!! Did you get an LE?
    Looks like some fair, accurate and even-handed reviews to me! ;-)

I checked them out yesterday from home, where I have plain old 56K, and quit after 3 reviews. Carpoint absolutely flounders on slower connections, with its endless array of pics and banners. That's why I like Edmunds - simplicity at its best, with highly intelligent posters like myself.

BTW buyers may want to get an Altima with a moonroof - the solid roof sags like a sheet of tin ... hehe
  • himomerhimomer Member Posts: 59
    Someone on this board said they are 6'4" and had little headroom in the Altima. I too and 6'4" and had on Nike Shox the day I went to testdrive the car. I'm not sure if you ever seen the shoes, but they increase your height by about an inch. Anyway, when i got in i adjusted the seed cushion down in the back and up in the front as i do in my own car, and i was able to turn my fist vertically above my head w/o hitting the roof of the car. Neither of the 3.5's i drove had a sunroof, in fact none of the cars had a sunroof. So when they get one with a sunroof i'll see about the headroom.
    "... i was able to turn my fist vertically above my head .... "

People sure do funny things testing out cars .. hehe j/k
    I did the same with my Forester. A MD dealer said he could not match the ad price a VA dealer published (I had wanted to buy in-state), and said he doubted I could really get it for that. As a courtesy, I drove by to show him my new Subie!

I didn't notice the sheet metal, but I'd be much more concered about IIHS and NHTSA crash tests than the slightly less scientific thumb-on-the-roof test. ;-)

-juice
This discussion has been closed.