Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Altima

Comments

• Options
    irontigerirontiger Member Posts: 20
  • Options
    colorsofspringcolorsofspring Member Posts: 16
    .. for keeping hope alive that it is INDEED possible to by this car for under MSRP. The saleman we dealt with at Cox said he was only there 6 months, so perhaps he has not learned the ins and outs of selling.
    Today we did manage to swing by the Major Nissan in Garden City(you were right- it is RIGHT on the border) just to see if we could get another test drive. Unfortunatley, the salesman we encountered (didn't catch his name) was not eager to allow this and as soon as he heard we were not ready to buy now we were left alone to exlore the lot. We did see a sweet 2.5 S auto in White for only $19,389. Too bad we weren't ready to buy right then and there! After examining the colors more closely, looks like we'll be going with the Velvet Beige.
    Also , thanks for the tips on CarsDirect. I didn't know that dealerships refuse to beat their prices.
    Like you said -Knowledge is power!
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Mossy Nissan in San Diego is almost 1k under MSRP on the altima right now. The other local dealer is ALWAYS willing to beat Mossy, so count on 1300-1400 under msrp for the Altima.
  • Options
    th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    What colors did you owners of the 2002 altima choose? which color was the "candy apple green" at the auto shows? was it seascape or emerald?
    intended deal:
    2.5sl in seascape
    splashgaurd
    microfilter
    fogs
    mats
    sign and drive @370/month for 48 months
    good deal? yes/no
  • Options
    jf_spadejf_spade Member Posts: 16
    I got the sheer silver. I think the ones that were in the auto shows were seascape, but I'm not really sure. I liked how the alloy rims and silver match. To me it makes for a smoother looking car.
  • Options
    gb9gb9 Member Posts: 16
    My pleasure. Good luck !

Very uncool of them not to honor your request for a test drive. What are they there for, anyway? Reminds me of some Honda dealership experiences I've had...
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    The color of both concept cars at the NY autoshow were Seascape and Velvet Beige. I personally love the Seascape color. I also like Satin White, Mystic Emerald, Novueau Ruby and Opal Blue. My favorites right now are Opal Blue and Seascape. I want a Altima 2.5SL 5spd. w/
    moonroof, ABS, which should be standard:(, Cold Package, splash guards, sunroof wind deflector, microfilter and fog lights.
  • Options
    steve0729steve0729 Member Posts: 8
    Yes you can buy a 2002 altima for under invoice. I just did it today. A 2.5S Automatic with the following: ABS, Bose Stereo (Didn't want but the only way to get a sunroof is to take this option)didn't really pay to do an after market roof.
    Convenience Package, Floor Mats, Fog Lights, Micro filter (was also told no longer an option all cars are coming thru with it), Sunroof, Splash guards, Wind deflector(also no longer an option if you get a sunroof deflector comes with it). Invoice:21,934 I got the car for 21,850
    Plus Tax, registration, documentation. Bought the car in New Jersey.
  • Options
    gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    Hey!

We have a new Altima Owners Club on the Town Hall. It appears that few know about it.
  • Options
    jf_spadejf_spade Member Posts: 16
    Under invoice.... How did you pull that one off? That's a great deal!!! Enjoy your new Altima!! A co-worker of mine just bought an '02 Altima. So now mine isn't the only one out there in the parking lot anymore. My boss thinks the car looks great and went out on a test drive. He's thinking about trading in his '96 Maxima for a new Altima. We might have to start an Altima club at work :)
  • Options
    aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    A silver Altima 3.5SE 5-speed. Picked it up on Tuesday. I'm very happy with it so far, and my salesman has been great. My girlfriend and I drove it to the gym last night, and when we came out, the other two people in the parking lot were both checking it out. My other car is a '93 NX2000, so I'm not used to that kind of attention!
  • Options
    stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    '93 NX2000... now that was a cool little Nissan. My daughter owns one with almost 150K miles on it. It still runs great. Good luck with your new Altima.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Indeed, KarenS created it and announced it here a few days ago. For anyone who missed it, there is a link at the top of this page to get there - that link will always be at the top of this page.

See KarenS Dec 3, 2001 8:57am for more details.

Have fun!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    Thanks. I love my NX, with its great handling, slick 5-speed, and 7500-rpm redline. Mine has 83k miles on it and runs perfectly. The only work I've had done on it is an alternator replacement about 2000 miles back. Hopefully the Altima will turn out to be just as reliable.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Nissan has a solid track record. I was just looking at the CR 2002 Buyer's Guide, and almost every car, every year, the reliability is better than average.

Honda, Toyota, and Subaru are similar, but Mazda and Mitsubishi can't match those scores.

-juice
  • Options
    mcarlo24mcarlo24 Member Posts: 13
    Tell us about your deal please ;)

Steve0729... Check your email buddy... I live in NJ and am like a day or two away from getiing my 3.5 SE.. I offered 600 over invoice at Turnersvile Nissan, and they said "They wanted to
    shake my hand and finish the deal, but Nissan has a restiction on the vehicle that prohibited them from doing so unless they got permission from the regional GM".. Fella truely sounded sincere but who knows..?? So we were like 600 or so off from making a deal and I said HEY!!!! How bout paying off our lease on the 99 Acura Integra (5 payments remaining) for $13,000 and tack on another $600 to get us at my offer... They orginally offered 12,400 for the car which would have left us bout $600 short on the Acura Lease payoff.. So if they want to do the deal, they need to get some kinda permission for the regional GM or fork up another $1200 for the Integra...

Still likes the sound of Stephen's deal though ;)
    Mcarlo24-Dan
  • Options
    moriharamorihara Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what the cause of the hollow, rolling, echoing noise coming from the front right of the 3.5SE Altima while it is driven? It is the loudest when the car travels over non-smooth or concrete roads. I brought the car into the dealership. After first diagnosing it as a faulty spring, they later contacted me saying that the other 3.5SE models had the same noise. They then checked with Nissan Motor Corp., who diagnosed it as a "characteristic" of the 3.5SE models due to the different suspension used.

Do any of you experience the same problem? If so, do you happen to know what can be done to fix the problem?

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    gerrys1gerrys1 Member Posts: 3
    After my son totaled my car I had to do some quick shopping. Since there is a Nissan-Toyota- Honda-Dodge Dealer within a few miles of my house it was my first and last stop. I fell in love with the Altima! I bought a loaded 3.5SE, automatic (my SO does not drive a standard, but I really didn't mind that much) with everything except the HIDs. Got it for a few thousand under MSRP with no serious haggling. The dealer was courteous and didn't try to insult me with various tacked on charges.
    I enjoy the car tremendously. It accelerates and handles nicely, looks sharp and I like the ergonomics of the controls. I don't find the interior distasteful at all. The car was purchased mainly based on emotions, without comparisons to other makes but I must say that I really enjoy driving this car and in my book, that's what makes it worth the money to me. I sometimes feel like an idiot because I find this grin plastered on my face when I quickly merge into traffic, or find myself doing 75 through the mountains of New Hampshire. I'm sure that its worth depends on where you're coming from. I moved up from a 1993 Plymouth Duster with 172K miles. If I had previously owned a Camry or Accord I would probably have a different viewpoint. Bottomline - the perfect car is the one that you feel great about, enjoy driving, and aren't ashamed to have your friends see you in it!
  • Options
    volcano2volcano2 Member Posts: 20
    Hi - 1st time on. I've learned a lot just by reading - and some are quite humorous! Need all the help I can get on my 1st purchase if anyone would be so kind; my '89 Mit.Galant just gave up. Narrowed it down to Altima S 4 cyl. automatic basic - nice! Lots of ?, biggest is what's the lowest $ anyone's gotten and how do I get there?

Co-worker said dad paid a chunk of cash & got $3,000 off MSRP - way below invoice (shoulda asked on what!), stick to my guns. Standard fare on the Altima seems to be $500 over invoice ($250 @ best). Got bolder w. last couple of dealers & told them I had a friend in the bus. & knew dealers actually pay 10-15% under invoice + holdback, I want to pay $750 under invoice (or options) - already quoted $500 under. Also, would put down $10,000 cash. I was told to take the deal! Guess it's not going to happen w. a car so new & hot/cost a lot to redesign & market (TMV is $150 below MSRP). Still, I was told to try - gotta try right? Best dealer finan. was 5.5%, home eq. 4.75/1yr. then prime.

Can anyone tell me what's lowest/fair and any tips? Above includes destination & advertising - anything else to expect besides tax/tags, what's the doc. fee & how much? Also any dealers - I'm in No. NJ/tri-state area, willing to travel a bit. Boss suggested try before Christmas/New Years, they'll want to get their #'s up then - just what I need - more stress.

I'd greatly appreciate anyone's help. :)
  • Options
    The best I have seen so far in my area is invoice, but the problem is, we don't have many Altimas around here with ABS. If you are able to get this car below invoice, GET IT!! Some people are still paying around 1000 to 1500 below MSRP. Good luck with your purchase!
  • Options
    Gerry: congrats. Given how happy you are, you surely made the right choice.

Didn't take long for discounts to appear, as we thought.

-juice
  • Options
    seldondgseldondg Member Posts: 17
    I'm going to buy a new Altima this week but the one thing I'm not sure of it the extended warranty. I think the dealer wants $1200 for another 3 years on a Nissan warranty. Do you think it's worth it?
  • Options
    speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    Extended Warranties are a ripoff, especially when you get them from a dealer. My advice, save your money.
  • Options
    mney6mney6 Member Posts: 116
    Our dealership runs a average of 12000.00 dollars per month on warranty claims.
    You may want to negociate the price on it.
    Always buy the Pre-ferred Package so everything is covered.
    Should be able to get a Gold-Preferred program for 60 months/75000 for 850.00.
    Takes care of all your components including belts and hoses.
    Also receive roadside service,rental car,towing.
  • Options
    Can't you add the warranty later? At least that's what I was told by my Nissan dealer. I'd wait and see how the car does before springing for the warranty. If it seems troublesome after a year or two, go ahead and buy the warranty.
  • Options
    Usually if it's still under the original warranty, you can.

-juice
  • Options
    I've used both a manufacturer and after market warranty in the past and the manufacturer warranty always seems easier to use. Maybe I'll tell the guy to make the price $800 or something like that.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    An extended warranty is a ripoff. Nissans and the VQ engine are proven to be very reliable.

Now if you're getting a VW, especially prior to 2002, a warranty is mandatory.
  • Options
    amazing2uamazing2u Member Posts: 67
    OK, what about everything else?

We know the powertrain is good, but what about bumper to bumper? :)

Don't forget, it's a first year model.
  • Options
    mney6mney6 Member Posts: 116
    1.fuel pump @ 48563 miles = warranty paid 463.32
    2.timing chain tensioner guides @ 68352 miles=warrantypaid 572.76
    3.engine assembly @ 94348 miles = warranty paid 3282.46
    4.altenator @ 49163 miles = warranty paid 357.72
    5.02 sensors @ 41253 miles = warranty paid 180.92

Customers average deductible was 75.00 and warranty paid the rest.
    If you get the right kind of service contract and at a fair price they are not a rip-off.
  • Options
    funny you mention vw. 97 VW Jetta is what I'm trading in for the Altima. Got an extended warranty on the VW and had to use it when the back window didn't close after 4 years. But otherwise it proved to be a reliable car. Then again 4 years old isn't a very old car. My other car was a Hyundai Sonata that I replaced with a Maxima. Now that was a whole other story. Got a warranty with it but should have just bought a gun.
  • Options
    Seldon.... The dealers cost for a 5 year 100,000 mile, 0$ deductible is 700$ and the minimum they charge for us is 200$... So no more than 900$ should you pay... And that matches warrantydirect.com's price so ya know its good... Reason I know is because I hookes up with a kewl F&I guy who doesn't work for commision and showed me the hard numbers... Hope this helps... I'm going to pick up my 3.5 Tomorrow for what works out to be 600 over invoice (See prior post of mine for details on the deal) They went with giving me 1200 more on my lease trade in to get me to my offer of 600 over invoise or a 5% profit for the dealer (Invoice - dealer holdback fee, than a 5 % profit)..

Hope this helps
    Dan <--Mc24
  • Options
    obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    When it comes to Nissans, they are bulletproof.

My fiancee's 93 Altima is terrific (first generation & first year Altima)! We bought an extended warranty and what a waste! Never used it! All we do is change the oil every 3000 miles and rotate the tires!

BELIVE ME! You cannot kill that car!
  • Options
    obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    We just took in a 2000 Altima SE 5 speed on trade. I have driven it around and all I can say is WOW! That is quite a little car! Good acceleration, smooth shifts and GREAT sounding engine!

I never thought anything of the 99 - 2001 Altima because I thought the looks were bland (which I still think). But the 00 SE model looks pretty good!

If the new Altima are anything like the old one, they should be great driving cars!
  • Options
    This is the deal I think I can get.
    White 2.5SL with: Sunroof, Wind Deflector, ABS, Heated Seats, Spoiler, Tinted Windows, Pin Stripe, Bose, and the regular stuff, floor mats, etc...
    for 23,500. Pricing this on edmunds I think it comes to around 22800 for invoice, but that is without the spoiler, pin stripe and tinted windows.
  • Options
    colorsofspringcolorsofspring Member Posts: 16
    whats this I hear about problems with alloy wheels and air leakage? ( not just on Altimas I mean on Alloy wheels in general) . When we get our 2.5S next year we will probably opt for aftermarket alloy rims, but I am afraid of having these slow leak probelms I keep hearing about. Does anyone know how common this is or am I worrying over nothing?
  • Options
    silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Like anything else, the quality of the metallurgy and machining of alloy wheels can vary. It is certainly possible to get a porous casting, and have a very slow air leak. Two and three piece alloy wheels sometimes have problems with minor air leaks, as well. In general, my experience with alloys has been positive. I haven't owned a car with steel wheels since 1983, and I've only had one car with an air leak problem (due to a minor distortion of the rim along the bead).
  • Options
    tucaztucaz Member Posts: 1
    just bought a 1998 Altima and I love it have really enjoyed the posts ive read here. where can i find a chat on the Altima. I don't do to good on the puter so have patience. where find info on upgrades wheels, tires etc. thanx again keep it going.
  • Options
    storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Tucaz: You've obviously found one good board. Edmunds has just started a Nissan owner's area under Town Hall. If you go there you will see several Altima discussions, although this is new and there isn't a lot of content there yet. Or go to Nissan's web page, www.freshalloy.com. They have a lot of information. You'll learn the most by going to the "Forum" area of Freshalloy and looking for Altima discussions.
  • Options
    It's a pretty good Altima forum, though some of the members are childish, I love that Forum though.
  • Options
    ikester12ikester12 Member Posts: 5
    What are the performance specification for the 2002 Altima 2.5 S with automatic ( 0 to 60 mph time).
  • Options
    Consumer Reports tested an '02 Altima auto at 9.0 sec 0-60, but they're Consumer Reports. In the same test, they tested the Passat 1.8T at 9.0 sec, the new Camry 4-cylinder at 9.8, and the Accord 4-cylinder at just over 10 seconds.

So basically it's significantly faster than Camry and Accord and about the same as the Passat 4-cylinder. I wouldn't take the actual numbers as gospel, since CR isn't known for being able to wring the most performance out of a car.
  • Options
    stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    Any vehicle that is exclusively built for the US market is manufactured with (lower)US expectations of quality in mind. The new Altima would be trashed by Japanese buyers for its fit and finish if it was ever exported to Japan.

On the other hand, the Accord and Camry are made in both the US and Japan, and their level of quality is much higher than that of the Altima. The Japanese made Maxima is in a different class of quality, IMO.
  • Options
    Isn't the US Camry and the US Accord wider and different than those sold in other markets?

If so your theory doesn't hold water. The Altima has a solid track record, according to CR.

Sienna also has been reliable.

-juice
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I'd say that the CR 0-60 times reflect, for example, a test similar to Car and Driver's "Street Start" 5-60 test where the driver just stomps on the gas. The car mags, like C&D, MT, etc. use a brake torque technique which Consumer Reports does not do. So with that in mind, I'd say from the CR test you could extrapolate that the Passat 1.8T and Altima 2.5 would do the 0-60 trick in the mid eights, the Camry 4 cly in the low 9s, and the Accord in low/mid 9s. (The Last 4cly Accord tested by Car and Driver recorded 9.2 seconds.)
    ~alpha
  • Options
    stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    The Japanese Camry is exactly the same as the US Camry, while the Japanese Accord is different than the US Accord. But the US Accord(also same as Australian Accord) is built in Japan for the US West Coast dealers, just like the US Camry(for West Coast dealers) is built in Japan.

What I'm saying is that anything that is built simultaneously in Japan and the US always has a higher level of fit and finish, whereas anything that is built exclusively in the US for the US market suffers in comparision.

I'm really talking more about fit and finish, than reliability, although reliability too is affected to a lesser extent.
  • Options
    Perhaps that is true, but it may be for a different reason - smaller initial R&D investment given they have to split resources?

Could be. For Nissan, Carlos "le cost cutter" Ghosn took over and basically saved them from the brink of extinction. But to do that he did was he does best, i.e. cut costs, so we'll see how that affect fit and finish on the entire line of Nissan cars.

Now that they're making a comeback, perhaps Renault is more willing to let them spend a bit more money.

-juice
  • Options
    I went to negotiations yesterday and they brought up this MA (Market Assessment/Advertiseing) fee for 400$ that is on the invoice... Now they gave me a copy of the invoice and it list my car's MSRP and Invoice, all the options MSRP'S and Invoice, but than it tacs on this MA fee to the Invoice and not on the MSRP... Is this a fee that can easily be haggled with or taken off all together. Any help from those who've see this fee at the negotiating table or those who been to the table, but havn't seen it at all would be greatly appreciated.

TYVM
    <--- Almost a Altima Owner Dan
  • Options
    public1public1 Member Posts: 1
    I am in negotiations to buy a 2.5S w/ convenience package and airbag package, etc. for 5% above invoice. This seems to be below TMV, but is it still too much profit for the dealer, and not good enough a price for the buyer?
  • Options
    I am the point where they are giving me a 5% over THEIR INVOICE for a 3.5 AUTOmatic.. Now of course my 1st question was, "Well what is YOUR invoice" and they gave me the same Invoice pricing ya get off edmunds, KBB, Etc, but added a 400$ MA fee on it (see post above)... And getting to this point has not been easy let me tell ya... So 5% over Invoice that KBB, and Edmund's comes up with, TAKE IT!!!

Gl buddy and let me know bout that MA fee...
    Mcarlo24
This discussion has been closed.