Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• mmx6mmx6 Member Posts: 18
    Is it possible to firm up the Altima's pedal effort, possibly by replacing it with the spring used in the 93-97 Altimas? Perfect pedal feel and weighting is essential to smooth driving, and the throttle was lightened up a bit too much for 98.
    Also, does the 98 Altima have that ridiculously huge sickle-arm trunk hinge? How about the 99?
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    for best family sedan.

Link: http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020206/62035_1.html

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That coupe looks heavily PhotoChopped to me. But I think a coupe for Nissan is a good idea.

-juice
  • 1969iggy1969iggy Member Posts: 17
    If you are putting 17 gallons in a 15 gallon tank (and it is happening at more than one gas station so it isn't the calibration of the pump) you will (A)find you have a 17 gallon or more gas tank or (B) see gas dripping from under your car.

I had a camry with a 17 gallon tank that i used to put 17.9 gallons in. But if i went to 19 gallons i'd be questioning the pump, or looking for a puddle of gas under the car (or splased all over my pants....)
    I have a 2002 SE and it does have considerable torque steer under hard acceleration, but under "normal" driving conditions (defined as how you would drive with your mom or a date in the car) i don't notice it at all.

If you are dropping the hammer and racing (beating) the Camry or Accord that pulled up next to you, you probably are ready for it and compensate naturally... I never have a problem with it, and don't notice it all that much...
    I get the transmission slipping sometimes under moderate to hard acceleration. I can tell the car is hesitant to change gears, and when it finally does it seems to slide in. Durring this period, i can tell the acceleration suffers somewhat. I had a car many years ago that was auto, and have driven a few rentals, and most have had a more definite point where it shifts, and it is more snappy...

Any comments>?
  • usaf52usaf52 Member Posts: 70
    Am I reading the specs correctly? There is no sound system, radio, crystal set, wireless etc available, even at extra cost, in the $17.000 base 2002 2.5? Are they going backward?????????
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    usaf52-

Nissan should be sued for their deceptive model strategy. They've been doing that since the Altima first came out in 1993 (used to be the "XE" model, now the "2.5"). I would bet that they haven't actually produced a single 2.5 model; they just made it up so they can advertise a low base price and be ensured that nobody will actually order one.

-Andrew L
  • perry1961perry1961 Member Posts: 10
    Wife wouldn't let me have the 3.5 because our daughter starts driving next year,and that's way too much power for a teenager.I'd love to have that coupe with a 6 cyl.though.Hey,maybe I can convince the wife that our teenager needs the Altima all for herself by late '03.That coupe sure looks sharp....and it has me salivating.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I received my new Automobile yesterday and way in the back Jamie Kitman wrote an article ripping apart Nissan and the Altima. I am not saying I agree or disagree, just thought folks here would like to see what was said.

Some quotes:

"Ghosn rode in as the new sheriff at Nissan and quickly reupped his claim to the nickname earned at Renault: Le Cost Killer."

"No doubt, Nissan, its supplier base and its corporate welfare culture needed attitude readjustment. But, as most of the world's automobile manufacturers forget with alarming regularity, there's a risk in killing le cost; often, you blow right past waste and kill le quality in the process. Not to mention le morale, le innovation, and, in the worst cases, le brand. Take a drive in the new Nissan Altima, an estimable machine in many respects, and experience the risk - and disappointment - first-hand."

"...here is where the Altima falls down, with plastic execrable enough to shame a Datsun B210 Honey Bee, circa 1979."

"For some reason, car makers fail to realize that spending $800 more on the inside might mean more to prospective buyers than $800 in MSRP. Like maybe $8000."

"Crazed cost cutters make a pact with the devil, and they rarely get second acts. Nissan cars are hurting for it already. Ghosn must ask himself now, how much cost cutting is enough?"
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    I haven't read the article, but I heard that he also criticizes the Jaguar S-Type, Mercedes C Class, and Ford Focus for the same things. Is that correct?
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    A cheap interior in the new Altima, an obvious sign of cost cutting, taint the image of an otherwise excellent car. I am hopefull that Nissan will correct this soon
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Yes, he does criticize those cars as well. But the focus of the article is on Nissan.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I got into 2 Altimas last night at the car show in Baltimore. Instantly, I got right out of the Altimas (a 3.5SE and a 2.5S) and walked away. The interior has way too much hard plastic inside for my tastes. Especially when you look at the price tags of the 3.5SE loaded (at $30,000). I can get a Passat for about the same price. The Nissan might be faster, but at least the Passat will have more ambience.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    You can purchase a BMW 325i or an Audi A4 for $30,000.
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    My gosh, don't like the interior, dont buy one. Buy that wonderful German car with the beautiful interior and the poor reliability.
  • pathmax00pathmax00 Member Posts: 22
    Did you guys know that the Acura MDX has more hard plastic then the Altima. If fact the Altima's dashboard at least has soft plastic but the Acura has none.
    If the interior is so bad the why is Nissan selling 14000 of them a month! nuff said
    Nissan had the "nerve" to say that their interiors would rival those of Audi!!(IMO Audi has awesome interiors). Going to the Nissan dealer expecting to sit inside an Audi-like interior, I was very disappointed. I found out it was more like GM than Audi.

Pat, you are a really "gutbuster"....doesn't sound quite right.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I don't make 'em, I just have to make sure they are upheld. :-)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A major newspaper is looking to interview folks who learned how to drive stick in their adulthood, and either fell in love or hated it. Also welcome is any input on why people love to drive stick, and any unusual anecdotes about how you learned etc.

Hope to hear from you before Feb 22 via the Talk to the Press discussion or at jfallon@edmunds.com with your thoughts and contact information.

Thanks as always,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director, Edmunds.com
  • silvercrownsilvercrown Member Posts: 237
    Here's something that I've been wondering about regarding the new Altima. Right now, the V6 version offers some features (such as traction control and automatic climate control) that are not offered with the 4 cylinder. Also, then V6 is only offered in the SE trim with the sport suspension. I was wondering why this was. After I thought about it, I figured that perhaps if they offered a V6 (without sport suspension) or more options for the 4, then they may be further cannibalizing sales of the Maxima. Perhaps this will change once the new Maxima is introduced.

For me to more seriously consider the Altima, here's what I'd like to see in future model years: 1) a V6 without the harsh sport suspension; 2)the same options available for the 4 cyl that they have for the V6 (especially traction control); 3) better quality leather interior; 4) hydraulic supports for the hood (I'm not sure what the exact term for this is).

I guess what I'd really be interested in is the equivalent of the GLE trim on the Altima, with V6 power, good handling as well as a smooth ride, and high quality luxury type features. All the the perks of the Maxima GLE in the body of the Altima. As I stated before, this may already be the plan once the new Maxima is unveiled and has additional features to make it more competitive, pehaps in a different segment.

What does everyone think? What changes do you guys foresee for future Altima models?
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    Does anyone know what Nissan plans to do with the Altima and Maxima over the next few years? It seems to me that the '02 models have quite a bit of overlap in terms of both price and equipment. If the Maxima tries to move deep into the $30K+ range, I would think it would compete too much with Infiniti. But now that they've upsized the Altima and added the V6, they can't really push the Altima pricing back down into the $15K-$22K range that it previously occupied.

Perhaps the best answer would be to combine the two into a single model line. I'm told that Mazda will be doing this with the 2003 6, which will replace both the 626 and the Millenia. That scheme seems to make some sense, but then you have to wonder whether a single body style can successfully fill the whole $17K-$30K range solely by differences in feature content. Time will tell, I guess.

-Andrew L
  • chadhburkechadhburke Member Posts: 27
    We are considering a 2002 Altima, 3.5L SE, but have a few questions:

1. The model we are looking at does not have ABS. It does have a "brake balancing" system, although I can't recall the actual name. Does the ABS provide any significant safety advantages over the "base" braking system? (I'm aware of how ABS works, I'm just curious how effective the base "brake balancing" system works.)

2. Have any 2002 owners detected any cabin noise, squeaks or rattles after owning the car?

3. How does the V6 model handle in the snow? I'm focusing on the weight factor here, as not all front wheel drives do well in the snow.

Any other problem areas would be appreciated too. I recall reading earlier on this board about paint problems. Otherwise, we are impressed with the V6, exterior styling, but it's hard to get excited about the interior.

Thanks for the info.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Of the 1,200 women of the affluent Women's Economic Club of Detroit only 9% had a preference for the Altima compared to 60% for the new Thunderbird and 30% for the Cadillac CTS, so writes the Boston Globe.

Women said they wanted Respect from dealers and manufacturers and convenient hours for service and even pickup and delivery. They also felt comfortable buying cars on their own, used the Internet for research, but not for buying and don't feel intimated by the car buying process.

According to the Globe "Women ranked safety, comfort, design and then price as their highest priorities. However, many did talk about image, as in how they look and feel in a vehicle, when it came to specific models."
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Those women are "affluent," of course they're going to pick the more expensive Thunderbird and CTS.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    Yup.

I was in a 2.5 S and I wanted to get right back out. My 02 Maxima is much nicer on the inside. But, then again, I guess that would make sense.

The Altima looks great (exterior) and drives great as well (at least the 2.5), but they need to make the interior a little more upscale.
  • jtmjwjtmjw Member Posts: 6
    There is nothing wrong with the altima interior. I have a 2002 3.5 SE manual and the interior is just fine for me. Yeah the have to do some cost cutting to get the altima to that price and why would they make the altima's interior just as nice or nicer than the Maxima's, it would steal even more sales away from the maxima. Before I bought I looked at and drove the Maxima, nice interior and a few more options that the altima but 2500 dollars more, of course it is going to have a better interior it cost more. I also drove the BMW 325i, you can only get a BMW for 30,000 dollars with nothing on it, and good luck finding one, you would have to order it. The BMW I drove stickered at 33,030 and the dealer gave me a price of 31,591 and that was a very good discount. But I just couldn't justify spending 5500 dollars more for a car that had less horsepower and doesn't handle as well as the altima, plus the BMW has a very poor reliability record. All you are buying with that is a name and the reaction that people give when you tell them that you have a BMW, but I guess if that's what you want the you should buy a BMW. For my money the best bang for the buck in the sport sedan lineup is the altima se, untill Honda comes out with a higher horsepower manual trans model.
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    I couldn't agree more with you,when it comes to BMW all people have to do is compare it to the rest of the pack in its class,option for option,tire for tire,horse for horse,and they will be shocked at how much more the beemer cost,not to mention highier costs of future repairs,now I'm not taking anything away from BMW,it's a great car,but I would never buy it for the reason mentioned above,as for the Altima I'm just hoping Nissan will address the interior issue after the new V8 Maxima comes out,and if that happens the Alty will be complete and will offer all the value in the world.
  • djmarrdjmarr Member Posts: 3
    I drove my son's new Altima 3.5 at during the holidays, and was very impressed with the
    overall look both inside and out. It reminds me of the Lexus GS series for much less dinero. Power was very impressive. The ride was firm, which I dIdn't care for. The automatic shift lever was more confusing than necessary. The rear bumper looks like it won't give enough slow speed protection as it seems to hardly protrude beyond the sheet metal.
    There are several other so-called luxury brands I have driven, (i.e., Volvo S60, Lexus IS) which
    do not look very impressive on the inside, however.
    A V8 Maxima?!?

Where did you get THAT info from?!?
  • elmoblatch1elmoblatch1 Member Posts: 134
    Wondering if anyone here owns one & what they think of it.

I am questioning:
    -Fit & finish
    -Road noise
    -Interior squeeks, rattles, etc.
    -How the 2.5L holds up when loaded with people/cargo
    -Other constructive comments

Thanks in advance
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    My 2.5S (auto) will go in for it's 10K mile service (oil/filter/rotate tires/fluids) on 2/15/02. Bottom line up front: it's not perfect, but it's a bargain and I'm very satisfied with it.

Less than perfect is the interior (no surprise). I can forgive the "cheap" plastic and the occasional squeak or rattle. However, the cup holder door is just plain cheap. I also want a "real" coin holder. I don't have a problem with the little console under the HVAC controls. I use it for a tissue box, my business cards, and spare change.

Absolutely wonderful are the exterior lines and comments that people think it's a more expensive automobile. The engine/transmission are great. Excellent gas mileage (normally 31-33 on mostly highway driving), even with a full load of 5-adults and luggage over a 200-mile trip (still got 29+mpg). The engine response, the ride comfort, the noise control, the overall "feel" of driving are all great!

Overall it's a 9.7 on a scale of 10. That's my opinion and experience.
  • elmoblatch1elmoblatch1 Member Posts: 134
    Thanks for your response-

I have to agree about the posts relative to the lack of interior styling. The dash board in front of the passenger is plain....the storage areas seem to be covered with flimsy plastic.

I did like the the armrest that extended for taller drivers that need the seat pulled back.

It is most disappointing that the car got a major makeover, but they skimped on interior styling. I read a couple of reviews that stated the telescope gages & radio buttons suffer from sun glare at times & are hard to read.

The other worry that I have is 2002 being the first model year of a major makeover....may be the usual new model kinks to be worked out.
    Let's compare apples to apples, folks. You can't compare a loaded-to-the-gills 240hp Altima with a stripped 170hp Audi A4, or a 184hp Bimmer with vinyl seats and no moonroof.

Never mind that the Altima is roomier than a 5 series. You're not even comparing apples to oranges. You're comparing a candy apples (loaded Altimas) to grapes (much smaller, less equipment). OK, they're European grapes, so what?

True, an Altima can hit $30k, but only if you put the fake wood that noone likes, and pay full retail price, which noone pays. Realistically it would be hard to reach $27k, and even $23-25k will get you the V6.

Now, load up the BMW 330i (apples to apples, it's still a few horses shy) or an Audi A4 3.0 (also short on power) and the prices reach about $40 grand.

Look at it another way - what would the interior of a 330i look like after TEN GRAND of cost cutting? Still beautiful? I doubt it.

-juice
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Not trying to compare apples to oranges (or grapes), just pointing out options. I agree that a well equipped 3.5 SE is a terrific car and a great bargain!

It's just that you cannot dismiss the appeal of owning a lower end BMW or Audi as an option. The German cars come with a healthy amount of standard equipment and offer a different ownership/driver experience.

For example a BMW 325i standard equipment:
    remote keyless entry
    audio/cruise control on steering wheel
    full size alloy spare tire
    climate control w/micron filtration
    ABS
    traction control
    stability control
    side airbags
    seatbelt pretensioners
    fog lights
    10 speaker stereo
    Invoice price is $25,500. Add $1500 profit and you're looking at $27,000 for a well equipped BMW.

Add moonroof, heated seats, 2 driver memory seats, and onboard computer and you're still under $30,000.

Not a better choice, just a competitive alternative.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    All true, but standard equipment also includes less reliability, room, and power. And you're still sitting on vinyl.

I guess if you set a price target of $30 grand, then a Bimmer may appeal to you more than an Altima. But at that price tag, I'd be shopping for an Infinit G35, with 260hp and RWD. Not an Altima.

-juice
    It's true, you can get a totally stripped BMW for ~27K. The only problem is that they don't come that way. If you have ever been to a BMW dealership you'd know what I am talking about. IF you want a stripper you have to order it from Germany and wait at least 3 months for delivery.

No thanks...for that I'll head over to Audi
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Its sickening how easily people are led (like lemmings!) to believe the HP hype/crap.

Do yourself a favour, go out - and test drive a 325i. And then decide if 184HP is wimpy!
    I doubt you'd have to order and wait 6 weeks (on average, not 3 months like some people claim) to get a base car with no options. And is a little wait that bad for a car that feels SO good to drive?

It would be a pity if other car makers (read BMW or Audi) do get sucked into the (thoroughly pointless) HP wars (currently led by get-a-clue Nissan)!
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Love the look, the feel and the handling. But 184 HP IS too little for 30k of car. The 330's HP and torque numbers are a little slim for me too. If I'm gonna blow a wad of cash on a Bimmer, I'd wait to afford the true ultimate driving machines: the M5 and M3.

Until I can slap down for an M, I'd rather choose a "lesser" car with enough power on tap that I don't sweat if I can fire through a hole in traffic and hit 90 in a blink from 65.

You can't do that with a 325. I've tried. Its power, while adequate for most drivers, doesn't sate me.
    I agree. The 325i is about adequate. The 330i is fun, though, plenty enough for me. I haven't sampled the M3, but unless I hit the lotto I doubt I will.

The Altima has its own set of issues (torque steer, too light steering, and notchy shifter), of course. But that engine is a gem, no question about it.

-juice
    If you like BMW so much why does your profile say you are shopping for an Audi?. Actually, I'd rather get a well appointed Audi or the new G35 instead of a stripped beamer.
    WHERE IS THE INFO ON THE V8 MAXIMA!?!

Geez, don't people listen to my posts anymore?
  • alewishusalewishus Member Posts: 2
    I was just wondering how you people with the 2.5s are finding the manual transmission. I ordered the 2.5 with manual and abs in November and will have to wait until April to take delivery! I was told that February would be delivery date but...
    Anyways, everyone satisfied with the stick on the 2.5s?
    Thanks
    CSM
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    that's not going to happen - what would that Maxima be competing against? Crown Victoria? Not likely...

for others -
    altima's interior is cheap plastic... if you just do yourself a favor and sit in a Sentra or a Maxima in the dealer's lot.
  • jtmjwjtmjw Member Posts: 6
    I think that some of you people need to go over to the BMW discussion board. So you can say how wonderful the car is compared to everything else. And oh yeah MORE HORSEPOWER IS BETTER.
    Obi - they are coming soon, and a free sample will be delivered to your door on April 1. Oh, and it comes with AWD and 400hp, is that okay? ;-)

The Altima's 4 banger is closer to the 325i than the 3.5l engine, by a wide margin.

-juice
  • danny25danny25 Member Posts: 119
    Maybe people will listen more in the Maxima forum...
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I am glad most here agree with me that more HP is better. HP is not hype.
    Forget HP, give me torque. That's what you feel.

The 325i has 175 lb-ft, while the 330i has 214 lb-ft. The 2.5l Altima offers up 181 lb-ft (more than the 325i), while the 3.5l has a stump-pulling 246 lb-ft.

It's arguably TOO much torque for a FWD.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.