Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• carguy585carguy585 Member Posts: 4
    On sunday my dad finally took me to look at some Altima's. My dad's trucks is just one payment from being payed off. When we pulled up to the dealer, we first looked at a fully loaded 3.5 se. It had every option imaginable for Altima and it was an Automatic. Went for $28,990. We then looked at a 2.5 s. This is the trim we will likely get. It had floor mats, and an auto-dimming rearview mirror for options. Went for $19,510. We sat in it and both agreed it was very good. Here are some thoughts I orgainized in the 5 minutes I spent in it. Note: we didn't drive the car but we will do this very soon.
    1. Very, very comfortrable seats. IMO, they were some of the best I've sat in. Lateral support was much better on cloth than on leather. Slippery leather, grippy, comfy cloth.
    2. Plastic interior? It WAS JUST FINE for the $19,500. For $29,000? Forget it.
    3. Friendly interior layout. Radio and and a/c controls were very well placed, and they were VERY, VERY well-put together. The build quality was miles ahead of the Alero and L-series we sat in.
    4. It's huge. Space in abundance.
    More to come soon.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Was that the MSRP? Remember you can deal way down. The higher the price, the more margin for haggling. If you get a 5 speed instead of the auto and deal, you're talking $25-26k or so.

You gotta sample that engine, though.

-juice
  • pda97pda97 Member Posts: 91
    Many thanks to "afty" and "ateixeira" for their input. That really confuses the heck out of me how 2 cars, namely the Altima and SE-R Spec V, both having the same engine with the same output, would require different fuel grades. The people over at the SE-R V forum already confirmed the premium unleaded fuel req't. What's going on here ??
    Good catch. Maybe Nissan expects Spec V owners to drive harder, perhaps do more mods to the engine?

Are the redlines the same? Is the output exactly the same, or are they tuned a little differently?

-juice
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    I think the ECU in the Spec V is tuned differently. Doesn't the base SE-R run on regular?
  • pda97pda97 Member Posts: 91
    I got this from the official Nissan website:
    - The SE-R Spec V output is 175hp/180lb-ft @ 6000/4000rpm, respectively. Fuel economy is 21/28.
    - The Altima 2.5S output is 175hp/181lb-ft @ 6000/4000rpm, respectively. Fuel economy is 23/29.

So even though the Altima is a much heavier car with a tiny bit more powerful engine running on regular unleaded fuel, it still get better gas mileage than the Sentra ??? I think I'm going back to engineering school ! Another thing, Nissan explicitly states that premium fuel is required for the V6 Altima, it doesn't say so for the 2.5L Altima. So this kinna confirms that the 2.5L doesn't need premium fuel. Similarly, no such statement is printed in the Sentra section. Does this mean that the SE-R V doesn't need premium fuel after all ?? A 4 cyl engine, unless turbocharged or supercharged, SHOULD NOT require premium fuel !!! This is dumb ! I'll have to drop by my local Nissan dealer and get some explanations on this issue.
  • Have a 94 Altima with flashing air bag light. Was told by another owner with similar problem that they had to replace the sensor/computer for $1,000. Anyone know if the light could indicate other than full computer replacement? Is there a danger of the air bag going off accidently? Can I pull fuse, if any, to stop flashing light and will this have any effect on air bag operation? Just looking for any options other than spending $1K at dealer. This car is third on family drive list and goes few places. However, I understand safety and maybe legal issues in getting it fixed. For any future Altima owners, like very much the new 2002, this car has been flawless to this point. 114K miles. Any help appreciated.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    You can download the Altima Owner's Manual in PDF format here:
    http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/guides/og/altima/2002-nissan-altima.pdf

The Sentra/SE-R/Spec V Owner's Manuals can be downloaded here:
    http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/guides/og/sentra/2002-nissan-sentra.pdf

If you read the section on fuel recommendations in each, you'll see that the Altima 2.5 runs on regular but the Spec V requires premium. There are no mention of the standard SE-R and no mention why the Spec V requires premium.
  • th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    My local dealer, Superior Nissan of Charlotte, is selling everything currently on their lot for invoice price. The catch is that it has to be on their lot, which is very limiting. I saw on their inventory list that they have a couple of SE-Rs and if those are selling for invoice(which I highly doubt), I might have an SE-R by this weekend! I need a new car for college and this might be just the break that I need. I would prefer an Altima but it looks like they only have base 2.5S models with little options(gotta have a sunroof!).I'll probably go take a look at what they have on Thursday or Friday. The deal ends Saturday though.
  • 93fsu193fsu1 Member Posts: 97
    When is the last time anyone actually used one?

I can remember using mine on my P.O.S. I drove in high school, because I had no A/C, but almost every car comes with a/c now and you actually get worse mileage by opening the roof and windows instead of using the a/c.

So who uses the sunroof?
  • amazing2uamazing2u Member Posts: 67
    I have one on my Maxima and had one on my last car too. Up here in Canada, it's not practical to have a convertible so this is a "poor man's" substitution. I actually LOVE to have sunlight over my head while driving in the winter time. :)

Oh, and in the summer time, you can have wind in your hair! LOL! Like I said, a poor man's convertible.

Cheers,
    Simon
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    I use my sunroof all the time. I'm sure I can go without one but I use it for ventilation mostly in the spring, fall and summer after the sun goes down.

There are 4 cylinder engine that require premium. The Honda Prelude - says 'premium unleaded fuel only'. Also, the Altima 3.5 SE only recommends premium fuel. It doesn't require it.
    The Sentra's lesser fuel economy may have to do with shorter gearing. Much shorter, presumably, since it's also lighter.

I use my moonroof even when it's cold. Put the heat on the floor and open the moonroof vent. The air circulates nicely, and you get fresh air without getting cold.

-juice
  • stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    That's the same kind of tricks I used to use when driving sans top in my old RX7 convertible. I'd extend the cruising season by running the heat with the side windows up or, in the heat of the summer, I'd blast the AC to maintain my cool demeanor (for those that have never owned a one, a convertible gets d**n HOT on a warm summer day when you're not moving fast enough). I mean is there anything more uncool than being stopped at a light with the top down in your freedom machine when pulls up along side and looks over... and you're sweating like a spent lumberjack;-)
    My Miata's top is down if it's 40 degrees or warmer. The heater cranks, and I wear gloves and a hat if I must, but that top will go down.

You guys think Nissan will bring on a 240SX convertible replacement?

-juice
  • elmoblatch1elmoblatch1 Member Posts: 134
    Just catching up on old posts & saw #3080 of yours.

THANKS for the link to the Article.
  • 1969iggy1969iggy Member Posts: 17
    OK first let me tell you what i have... It is a 3.5 auto with everything EXCEPT the stupid wood (that i think screams"i am old") and leather seats.... Yes i know some will say i was stupid to pay 27K(sticker) for a car that has cheap plastic interior, but i like the interior. Plus i got a real good price on my trade in...

It was made in November 2001.

Let me first insert two TSBs that i am having trouble with. I have about 3K on the car and will get these taken care of at my 3,750 mile maintainence. It isn't worth bringing it in for these things alone...

Make: NISSAN
    Model: ALTIMA
    Year: 2002
    Service Bulletin Number: NTB01073A
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 627
    Date of Bulletin: 11/01
    NHTSA Item Number: SB627437
    Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:COIL
    Summary: SUBJECT REGARDING STATIC RADIO NOISE CAUSED BY IGNITION COILS. *JG

Make: NISSAN
    Model: ALTIMA
    Year: 2002
    Service Bulletin Number: NTBO2012
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 627
    Date of Bulletin: 01/02
    NHTSA Item Number: SB627808
    Component: VISUAL SYSTEMS:SUN ROOF ASSEMBLY (8/82)
    Summary: SUBJECT REGARDING SUNFROOF WILL NOT CLOSE DUE TO INTERFERENCE WITH WIND DEFLECTOR.

The radio (Bose) is only OK... not worth the money but you can't avoid it if you want a sun roof. It's nice to have the in-dash CD player (6-disc) but for the money i'd like a better system. The Value package CD player in my 99 Camry sounded better. And that didn't have bose speakers... The ignition coil noise is annoying, but i have been told they can fix it easy enough.

The wind noise from the sunroof is very annoying when driving with a passenger, otherwise i just turn the radio up... That too should be easy to fix, but i'll let you know how these things get handles in about 500 miles...

Also, the auto transmission isn't really that snappy. It slips a lot under hard acceleration. Kinda like it doesn't know if it really wants to shift. I am hoping this is something that can be fixed... if not i am going to be very unhappy. The one i test drove didn't do this.... and i beat the heck out of it becuase i had read that this was a problem....

It isn't that great in snow IMO... not as good as the Camry, but then again i put tires on my camry that were all weather radials... the ones on the Altima now are relatively sporty... perhaps with tires better equiped for snow... ???

The traction control is a waste IMO... when one tire is on ice and the other on dry pavement, the tire on ice will simply spin... WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF TRACTION CONTROL??? I KNOW IT IS ON, WHY ISN'T IT WORKING???

Don't get me wrong, i love the car, but some of these things need to be fixed for me to be happy with spending 27K on it...
  • elmoblatch1elmoblatch1 Member Posts: 134
    Thanks for your post & the info-

I am considering the purchase of a 2002 Altima S with an automatic & the ABS Package.

My Brother in law was telling me about his 2001 Passat with the Turbo 4.....he's a VM man all the way, but say the car gets a little "loose" at the higher speeds due to the way the turbo works.

Hoping to get the Altima at about $19,000...got 3 dealers to work with by the end of May.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    Unfortunately, those are the chances you take when you buy a first year model, bugs are inevitable, that's why it sometimes pays to wait until the manufacturer catches and fixes the glitches.

Good lucks
    No biggie, if there is a TSB that means they already found a fix. Plus, if it were serious, or safety related, it would have been a recall.

-juice
  • spidermonkeyspidermonkey Member Posts: 30
    Fuel economy is determined by several factors besides weight. The gear ratios can have an effect, and aerodynamic drag has a very large effect (especially at high speeds). Perhaps this is why the 2.5S is listed as having slightly better fuel economy than the Spec V. Also, a 5 speed Altima only weighs 250 lbs. more than the Spec-V. That's not too large a difference.
    Aerodynamics are not a factor in the EPA cycles. The cars are tested on dynos, so shape and frontal area are not taken into account at all.

In the real world, they matter plenty. The amount of drag increase with the square of speed.

-juice
  • RonaHRonaH Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone seen any crash test results on the 2002 Altima? Checked one out today. I checked NHTSA and the insurance institute's web site and haven't seen anything. It seems odd that some of these 2002 models have been out for awhile and no safety testing has been published. Thanks for any feedback.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...it will be months before all of the completely new models get run through the various crash test cycles. They all have been tested to meet the minimum standards of course, as that is a pre-production requirement, but the testing you refer to occurs relatively infrequently and they tend to batch together cars / trucks of a similar configuration and class when doing the tests.
  • imprtlvrimprtlvr Member Posts: 38
    Naw..I'd still take the Passat. It's just a much classier vehicle. The Altimas tail lights will be out of style in a few years, things like that go in and out every 3-4 years or so. The worst thing is the interior, knock on the dash and hear hollow plastic ring.....just too cheap for me. Sure the 3.5 is fast, but for most people that doesn't make the whole car. If I wanted fast, I'd go buy a cheap American sportscar, like a Z28. The car mags choose the Passat over the Altima in head to head competition, even the Edmunds comparison picks Passat. Says the Altima's ride is too stiff, just like the Maxima SE as one reason.
    As to your comment about "doubling the budget" for modifications, it'll only take a $500 chip to give the Passat more torque, equal horsepower and make it as fast as a Altima 3.5. And chipping has proven totally safe and undetectable by the dealer in the Passat. Yes, the automatic with tiptronic is slower, but the 5 speed manual with the 4 cylinder turbo is an extremely fun drive.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Actually, the testing for mainstream cars such as the Altima and Camry seems overdue IMO. For example, last year, the NHTSA had already crashed the Honda Civic by the time Consumer Report's April Auto issue was on Newsstands. And the last time a Camry was redesigned (for 1997), the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety had that as well as the then redesigned Pontiac Grand Prix crash tested by the end of January. In addition, the IIHS just crash tested models that came out around the same time as the Altima... the Mitsu Lancer, Sube Impreza, and the Kia Sedona, for example. I personally am tired of waiting. What I really dislike is that on the NHTSA website, one of the icons still reads "BUYING A SAFER CAR 2001". UM FREKIN GET A WEB MANAGER or something.. its one thing to not have new results... but to have a banner thats outdated by 4 months is absurd.
    ~alpha
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    That chip is NOT totally undetectable by the dealer. If it would cause a problem, all the dealer has to do is check your computer and your boost levels. If they are not the same as the factory (unless you buy an extra ECU and put that on there when going to the dealer for service), you're busted. I talked to a shop foreman about it, so I know it's true.
  • 1969iggy1969iggy Member Posts: 17
    I get 24.9 mpg according to the little trip computer... i haven't done the math myself based on the gas i buy and the milage i get, but it seems to at least be in the ballpark.

I do about 50/50 city/highway driving, but i do have a lead foot... so milage would improve if i drove a little more responsibly. But if i did that i'd have bought the 2.5!
    imprtlvr: we're different, I guess. I'd sooner modify the suspension and brakes before even looking at the engine. A quick engine with a soft suspension is a recipe for trouble IMO.

I prefer the opposite - that's why I own a Miata. Handling comes first, then brakes, then maybe chassis bracing. Engine mods come last, so that the car is never unbalanced.

-juice
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I got a rental 2001 Altima GXE yesterday when I took my car back to the shop. They replaced a part on the dash, and left dirty fingerprints in the car. I asked them to give me something to clean it up with, and they said they would do it (that's cool).

Anyway, this Altima has 33,800 miles on it and it's beat down! The interior was dirty, but I knew that when I got the car. Actually, I was kinda shocked about the car. I like the handling, which is very good for a family car. Acceleration is pretty nice with automatic as well. And fuel economy has not been too bad either.

It's just the inside feels cheap to me. Maybe I am just used to my VW, but the Altima is not too bad for a family car though. A pretty nice ride for the price.
  • lgoldinlgoldin Member Posts: 90
    You are right about rental car. I have my Altime for 4.5 years, and it runs very well. However when on a business trip I had 2001 Altima with 14K miles on it as a rental one, I couldn't beleive how rough it was. I guess people just abuse rentals way too much.
  • alow13alow13 Member Posts: 14
    hello all,

I am considering the purchase of 2.5S with convenience package and ABS and I wanted to know if any of you have tried to upgrade the factory stereo. I know that the reviews of the Bose system have been quite good, but I am not a fan of sunroofs and I also have an MP3 player that I'd like to be able to use in my car. I'd be looking to install a stereo with and aux audio port so that I could hook up my MP3 player. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
    I got a chance to test drive both the S and the SE and there was definitely a noticeable difference in power between the two cars, but I wonder how much that would come in to play during normal driving. My big concern about the 4 banger is how it will handle hills with people in the car. I'm not a speed demon, but i'd like the power to be there when i need it. As always any insight that anybody might have would be much appreciated.

A.L.
    The 4 banger has more hp and torque in its usable RPM range than many 6 cylinder vehicles of a few years ago. Heck, the previous generation Maxima (1995-1999) used a heavier 3.0V6 that only made 15 more hp than the current Altima 2.5. If you aren't a speed demon, the 8.1-8.5 second 0-60 times I would expect from the 4 are more than sufficient.
    ~alpha
    Altima gets the best $15K-20K Car. Not that AAA is the authority on cars, but at least it is another award for the Altima.

http://carpoint.msn.com/Browse/win_2887.asp

Actually, the SE Maxima from that time period made 190hp, but all other models made just 160hp, or less than the current 4 banger Altima.

By the way, the Altima's VQ series engine made Ward's 10 Best. They even listed the Altima, specifically, not any other VQ equipped model.

I hit the NY Auto Show, and boy, was the Nissan stand crowded or what? Murano was popular, only the Z had more people around it. Infiniti was right next door, and there were 3 G35 sedans, with lines to get in all three of them. They had one (locked) G35 coupe and it was swarming with people, that thing is gorgeous!

The only eye sore was the M45, that thing looks decades old (it is, based on the Cedric/Gloria).

-juice
    I am sure it was an oversight for Ward's to only list the Altima when then mentioned the VQ. As you know, it was the Maxima where the engine begun and continues its life.
    Yep, but they specifically state 240hp. Odd, but I'm just the messenger. ;-)

-juice
    If your post 3137 was in regards to my post, 3135, in which I stated that the 1995-99 Maxima had 190hp, I'd say you were WRONG in correcting me... All Maxima models have had at least 190 hp since the redesigned '95 model. The generation before that (1989-94) were the ones that used a 160hp 3.0L V6 except for the SE in the later years, which had the 190hp version.
    ~alpha
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    My clients had their sights on the 2.5S Altima, but the ride seemed a bit "firm" to them and they wanted to test-drive the Maxima again. Alas, no GXE in stock, only SE (spoiler) and GLE (leather, moonroof) and much higher prices.

Ended up with a Pearl White Maxima SE. About $4K more, but the extra 80 hp seemed to "smooth" the sport suspension to their liking.

It's a sight to see an upper-septugenarian racing around with a spoiler tacked on the trunk lid! Wonderful .....
  • bigzheng17bigzheng17 Member Posts: 81
    i like the altima, but with a new design due in a few month, accord's price is going down fast, so i think in a few month i can even get an ex v6 with less than $22000. so now i am facing this difficult choice: get a all new design altima 2.5s, or spent a little more get an accord ex v6? the altima with my prefered option would cost between $21000 and $22000.
    Motor Trend pitted an Altima SE vs. Chevy Impala LS, Ford Taurus SEL, Honda Accord EX-6, Toyota Camry SE V-6. They basically said that Nissan built the Altima around the engine and critizied the road noise and the fit and finish of the interior. The folks at MT when as far as saying that the interior resebled something from a Korean automaker from a few years back (harsh). Verdict was as follows:

1) Camry
    2) Accord
    3) Altima
    4) Impala
    5) Taurus
  • laysmackdownlaysmackdown Member Posts: 19
    would have been more decisive if MT didn't get a Camry with NAV. It would have been cheaper and easier to use. Apparantly NAV scares MT. I've used the Toyota NAV for audio controls and it's pretty simple.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    What made the Camry beat out the Accord? Was the Camry an XLE or SE? The price alone would make me choose the Accord.
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    I think the choice is simple. The Accord EXV6. No question about that one.

The Altima is getting killed in the reviews because of the interior. Once again, that's my biggest gripe with my Altima. However, I couldn't see myself in a Camry or an Accord and the power of the Altima had me mesmorized...

I feel my only other choice at the time was the Maxima SE but it was a lot more expensive last October, so I got the Altima.

Nissan's marketing is working well though at least from the March sales report..it looks like people are buying the Maxima w/ incentives over the Altima V6 which means that they are both selling well. I'm sure most of the Altima sales are the 4 cylinder 2.5.

This probably means they'll improve the interior on the Altima when they are good and ready (2004?).
    Hey thanks for the insight about the engine choices. I definitely see what you are saying and I think that the V6 is probably overkill, but it in a good way. I am going to take another extended test drive before I make my decision. Thanks again.

I think that the Altima is a sweet ride, and although I will admit that the interior is a little low rent compared to some other cars I found it is very functional and comfortable and I thinks thats what really counts in this segment.

A.L.
  • bigzheng17bigzheng17 Member Posts: 81
    personally i don't really care a lot about altima's interior material quality, it can't be worse than 91 camry, which is what i am driving right now, can it? and i don't care much about resale value either, because i don't like to switch cars often.
    Take it easy, alpha01, no need to shout (all caps). Now that mistake was bigger than mine.

You guys are not arguing the merits of Motor Trend, are you? Caprice won Car of the Year. Enough said.

-juice
    I am taking it easy- but if you are going to correct me, you'd better be right. If I was wrong, I'd have no problem admitting it. I would agree in your assertion that MT is not one of the best mainstream auto enthusiast magazines- but nonetheless, its out there, and it was an interesting article to read.
    ~alpha
    ...or you could be polite and point out that it was the 4DSC years that had the 160/190 hp variants, without shouting.

You were right, but you were also rude. Can you admit that?

-juice
This discussion has been closed.