Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• pbhattipbhatti Member Posts: 87
    Is Nissan gonna use the $200 price increase to improve the interior of the car? Or is just going into their pockets.

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/news/products/relautopasse2002049111852.shtml

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Has anyone purchased the nose mask for the Altima? If so, how has it affected the paint? What about the color of the car…I would figure long term use would be worse on a dark colored car…
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    They hopefully will use it to improve the interior of the car. But the Sentra and Sentra SE-R prices are going up to. What would they use that cash for? To give them the amount of hp advertised?? :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    $200 hardly keeps pace with inflation. In fact it doesn't, the price is lower once you factor inflation.

I believe Ford has already had 4 price increases this year. Is that Nissan's first?

-juice
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    I highly doubt Nissan will change the Altima's interior before the next model change in 4-5 years, despite the numerous complaints. So that $200 is just a price bump.
  • gsxrter1994gsxrter1994 Member Posts: 24
    I have sold new nissan's for 5 yrs and have a 92 pathfinder with 160k on it and Nissan's DO NOT HAVE A OIL BURNING PROBLEM!!
    Toyota 3.0 AND 2.2 ENGINES DO!!
    Nissan power trains are the best in the industry
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    Thanks for the obviously unbiased advice gsx.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Maybe in the past Nissans havent burned oil, but if you look on the Altima site, there are sporadic posts about the new 3.5 drinking a couple quarts extra per maintenance interval.
    ~Alpha
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Actually, it's the 2.5 that's had the reports of burning oil. Those of us who sprung for the 3.5 have been safe so far.

Check out post #3193 by smithcon. He says, "My car [a 2.5S]... consumes about a quart of oil every 700 miles. "
    He's a dealer? What a shocker. ;-)

-juice
    I stand corrected. Looking back at the posts, afty is indeed correct... it is the 2.5L and not the V6. It seems to be very rare, though, at least when judging by complaints on these boards.
    ~alpah
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    My 2.5S now has 12,680 miles. The last oil change was at 9,999 miles. It was 0.5 quart low so I topped it off. I use Mobil 1 5W-30 and Mobil 1 filter and use 5k change intervals.

I've had cars that used less than 1 quart between 5k oil changes, but consider 1.0 quart acceptable. I've heard about the dealer or manufacturer "story" that 1 quart per 1k miles is acceptable. I don't buy it and would be extremely unhappy with that type of oil usage.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with my '02 Alti.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    the glaring flaws people are willing to overlook.

The 2.0l Jetta also burns oil, and the owners and dealers insist its 'normal'

Manufacturers should be forced to recall their oil-burning cars!
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    Everybody has different definitions of reliability.
  • brad45brad45 Member Posts: 27
    Some of you may remember me from last fall. I purchased a 2002 2.5S 5sp in September. I posted quite a bit before the new year and then lost interest for a while. Posts on burning oil have peaked my interest again.

I have experienced burning oil and some engine noise. I don't know if they're related. The burning oil was as follows:

at 1400 miles I checked the oil and it was 1/2 quart low. I filled the oil and (stupid me didn't change it) drove the car 1100 more miles. At 2500 miles I checked it again and it was 1qt low. At this point I changed the oil. I then monitored the oil. If I remember correctly at 4000 mi it was okay, but at 5000 it was 1/2 qt low again so I changed it.

The noise is a slight rapping at cold start-up and lasts until the engine warms up. It gets louder and faster with RPM and usually only happens when driving (when the engine is under load). As a somewhat knowledgeable wrenchhead this smacks of valve trouble. Unfortunately this only happens regularly when the temperature is below freezing so it was impossible to get into the garage (darn mild winter) It happened once or twice when the temp was over 40. I can keep it from happening at any temp by letting the engine idle for a minute or two at start-up. I will monitor the situation and get it to the dealer when I can predict it will make the noise.

I don't know if I damaged the engine by not changing the oil at 1000 miles, but the book told me not to, so the warranty should hold. I'll just have to wait and see.

BTW - the 5 speed is very disappointing. I'm not happy with the clutch at 9k miles it has very long motion with only an inch of which is useful and it engages very high. The shifter is notchy too, especially when cold. Other than that I love the car. The interior has never bothered me.
  • bqwaietbqwaiet Member Posts: 8
    Brad, have you thought of checking out altimas.net? There's a forum there for 2002 Altimas, and 2 topics I am aware of addressing issues that are showing up over time. You do need to register to post, takes a day, but reading is accessible. I haven't been reading enough yet to see if this is a common issue there
  • lgoldinlgoldin Member Posts: 90
    Does anybody has 2.5L Altima with 5000+ miles on it? What is a gas milage you get?
    Thanks in advance for answers.
  • elmoblatch1elmoblatch1 Member Posts: 134
    The Altima was interesting, but in the end, the Regal had more standard features ( ABS, V-6, bigger, etc. ) for less money.

I think Nissan needs to make the Altima S available with in a V-6 and not make ABS a $900 option.

Too much of a price gap between base model & SE.
    Friends came over with a rental last weekend, and it was a Regal. The articulating-hinged trunk really surprised me. Also, it was able to carry 6 of us.

Not my type of car, but thought I'd share those tidbits.

-juice
  • cougarboy1cougarboy1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Altima GXE Limited Edition with less than 6,000 miles. I have replaced the rear sway bar bushings twice. Both times the dealer said the bushings were missing. Anyone else having this problem?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    My wife is hard on her car. The Generals were replaced at 16k and she needed new front brakes at 14.5k. Yikes! But she still loves her ride, go figure!!
    Are they using the wrong size bushings? This is something you can install/check yourself. Sway bars usually have just 4 bolts holding them in place. Bushings should be greased, but I can't imagine them slipping off unless they are the wrong size.

Sandman: brake pads are cheap. Just hope the rotors are OK.

-juice
  • seldondgseldondg Member Posts: 17
    I have over 6k miles now and get around 25 mpg over a whole tank. If I'm on the highway and keet it around 65 mph I get around 32mpg.
  • lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    The interior will indeed be different for '03. I am being rushed to get tooling modifications completed on some of my parts for the Altima. THey are really taking the press reviews to heart and working double time to correct them.

I have a pathfinder with a 3.5 and I am changing oil every 10k miles using Amsoil. My truck has drank almost 2 quarts in 8k miles.
  • bigzheng17bigzheng17 Member Posts: 81
    Do you have any detail on how will the interior be different in 03? Thanks!
  • wackawacka Member Posts: 16
    when would these hypotheticaly be coming out ??
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Have been out for a few days, including results for the Altima (side-impact only).

http://www.nhtsa.gov/nhtsa/announce/press/pressdisplay.cfm?year=2002&filename=pr29-02.htm

The Altima gets 3 stars for the front, 4 stars for the rear.

I must admit that I am disappointed in this result. I love the Altima SE's sportiness but also want it as a family car, and a 3/4 rating is not that great for a newer design. By comparison, older designs like the Acura TL and Accord EX-V6 get a 4/5. The Passat has a 4/4. The new Camry hasn't been tested yet.

Hopefully the Altima's NHTSA and IIHS frontal crash test results will come back better.

• green23green23 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 3.5SE with about 5,000 miles on it. It only gets about 21-22 miles per gallon in average driving (combination of city and highway). It is supposed to get 21 city and 26 highway. Has anyone else noticed low economy on their 3.5? Also the trip computer says that I am getting 24-25 miles per gallon, a good 2-3 mpg more than what I get by actually calculating the mpg. Anyone else notice this? Should I take my car in and have it looked at, or will the dealer just look at me funny?
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    These are NOT good numbers. Nissan had better address these with equal urgency as the interior if they want to keep sales up. A strong engine and nice exterior will get people in the showroom but they need the interior and the safety numbers to close the deal. Nissan should be veeeery nervous about this.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Over a longer period of time, say 6-9 months and 6-9k miles, I have always noticed that the trip computer on cars so equipped overstates fuel economy vs what my logbook shows. The differences were anywhere from 5-10% on the last BMW I had with a trip computer. No, I have no reasonable explanation, but your experience matches mine.
    I think the scores are very low for an all new design. The car didn't even do as well as my 2002 Jetta, and it debuted in 1999. That makes no sense.
  • auerbachauerbach Member Posts: 110
    Nissan has a problem now.

Two strikes against the Altima - substandard interior and mediocre side crash results.

I still like the way it looks and the price is attractive. I hope the frontal impact results are much better. If so, I will keep it on my shopping list. I don't know if they can incorporate any improvements now for 2003, but it might be worth the effort. The interior is getting a re-do because of consumer backlash.

This might lead to some serious discounting for the 2002 models. Especially considering that the new Mazda6 will be released in late August.
    That's a shame. We just pushed up our "buy date" for our next new sedan, and that rules it out for me. It was on the edge, but a contender for us. I was OK with the interior, however.

-juice
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    I guess you are gonna have to save your pennies for an Infiniti G35 (great crash tests results in Japan). Test drove it twice, and still can't get that car out of my mind.

PS- Less than 40 days till the World Cup...can't wait.
  • phillyguy3phillyguy3 Member Posts: 88
    In spite of the interior complaints and crash test results, Nissan has just announced a price increase averaging $200-$300. I guess marketing is more important for sales than the other factors since they are still selling well. I, personally, will be ordering mine(wife's) in June.
    I'd love a G35, but the wife slashed the budget significantly. We'd be looking at a 2.5 S, that price range.

-juice
    Well, at that price range you have a few options. We'll see what the Accord looks like (looks nice in drawings). The Mazda 6 is a really nice looking car. Then you got the Camry and the Passat 1.8T.
    You basically listed the cars we are considering, just add the Subaru Legacy.

-juice
    Juice,

Legacy?...I thought you would be WRX kinda of guy.
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    The numbers are confirm the feeling when I'm driving the car...that's it's not very sturdy. I'm afraid to get into to an accident now.

My brother Acura TL seems a lot more solid.

That and the interior have been read downers. The engine is still awesome as the car pulls super strong up to 90 mph or more. The best in on the tollway after you pay...I am flying outta there!
    Be careful flying around in that car though. I can't be flying in a car that I don't feel safe in, it just ruins the whole driving experience for me.
  • implicitimplicit Member Posts: 41
    At first i was quite disapointed myself but take a look at the competition and the previous Altima. In that conclusion so far so good. Plus I'm hoping the Side and Curtain airbag tests (if any) will be much better.
  • cdingcding Member Posts: 27
    Looking at the link provided 10 posts ago, Ford Focus 2-door got a '1' in the passenger side impact test? Is that a typo?
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Please note that the side impact test scores are for the front passenger and the rear passenger (on the driver's side), not the front passenger. That's where the Focus got a "1". It's not a typo, and it's a shame.

Please also note that the vehicle tested was NOT equipped with the front side airbags. Quite conceivably they could have improved the 3-star rating for the driver. It's not a given, though, as some vehicles have no difference in the test!

The side curtains would not help with this test because the impact barrier simulates a relatively low-riding vehicle. But the side impact airbags could well help with the driver.

Here is a list of NHTSA "mid-sized" vehicles for 2002.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/2002MidS.html

There are some folks who don't believe in the crash tests, as they are based on just one vehicle being tested and not statistically representative of all vehicles out there.

speed: I am, you read me like a book. This is the wife's car, though, and she wants something a little bigger.

Crash tests aren't everything, but to me they're a tie breaker when the score is close.

I may still price an Altima with the side bags, who knows. The wife prefer's the Maxima's styling and that's out of our price range.

-juice
    I thought I remembered somebody getting a 2002 Max for just under 20k. I looked back but couldn't find the post. I did find a post of a guy that bought a GLE demo for 23k. I do know that you can easily find an Altima in that price range. Don't know if this is out of your range or if it's of any help but there it is.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    Sounds like you've got some nice choices to look at. Let us know which way you go. I know I'd be interested to know what you choose and why. Good luck.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    Since there is no notation indicating otherwise, I assume the Altima tested for the side crash was a model without the Side Airbag option pkg?
    I think its fair to assume that with the Side Airbags you'd probably see the Altima improve to at least a 4 star driver side impact rating. (the 4 star rear side impact rating really isnt all that bad).
    All things considered, folks, it is somewhat disappointing that the kick [non-permissible content removed] Alti only received 3 stars driver side impact, but this is only part of the Crash test picture, you still need to consider frontal and offset crashes into the equation. PLUS the Altima accelerates, handles and brakes well in all trim lines, and AVOIDING an accident in the first place is more than half the battle. PLUS: Cars today are exponentially safer than cars just ten, even FIVE years ago- for goodness sake, SIDE IMPACT MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS (meaning one star in this test) only came into effect in 1997!!! Considering that the average age of vehicles on the road is a bit over 6 years, if you drive a new Altima, it seems you would be safer than the average driver anyway!!!
    ~alpha
    Juice

I got my 2000 Maxima SE auto in '99 (when it hit the market) for around $23K. Granted it's got cloth and no Bose but it's just fine for me. You can really deal on Maximas right now, they are giving them away.
    I heard someone on here post that they got a Maxima for $5000 below MSRP. That's a really good deal. Also, Budget rents them and might be selling a used one pretty cheap as well.
This discussion has been closed.