Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    I'd lower all four to about 35 for the best combination of proper inflation and ride comfort.
  • crashnburn2crashnburn2 Member Posts: 23
    Is the 2003 Altima's interior better than the 2002 Altima's interior? Are there still irritating reflections on the windshield? Has anyone seen a 2.5 on the road?
  • 1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    I've noticed it too, but it's on every car I own. It's perhaps a little more more noticeable on the Altima because of the flat angle of the windshield. This cannot be cured by any interior changes - only a complete re-design & a different, steeper slope of the windshield will do that. However, that would also change the sleek look of the car, which attracts a lot of buyers. I'll bet if you look at some of the Chrysler offerings you'll see the same thing due to the sleek design and flat windshield slope.

Suggestion - buy one of those cloth dash covers for $20-$30. They are kind of fuzzy, and much less reflective than the plastic dash mat'l. They also preserve the plastic from fading and cracking from the sun. That's what I plan to do.
    thanks for the response and I will look for those in some stores. Has anyone seen an actual 2.5 on the road?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I have seen many 2.5S models, but never a base 2.5. Does Nissan really make them?
    I'm not exactly sure but just checking because on the Nissan website (nissandriven.com), when you click on Altima, the four trim levels listed are 2.5, 2.5S, 2.5SL and 3.5SE
    Not on CarsDirect.com. They only show 2.5S, 2.5SL, and 3.5SE models available.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    "I have seen many 2.5S models, but never a base 2.5. Does Nissan really make them?"

I saw one of these in a dealer showroom when the Altimas first came out last fall. It had roll up windows, but looked the same as an 'S'.

The base 2.5 car was dropped sometime during the 2002 model year, don't know exactly when.
  • ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    The 2.5 did not have air condition.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I believe they brought the Altima 2.5 Base back because Honda still sells the Accord in DX trim and Mitsubishi still sells the Galant in DE trim, both trims are for people who are on a VERY strick budget, but want a pretty good sized family sedan.

BTW, all 2002-2003 Altimas have had power windows standard, regardless of model trim. Even the 2.5 has power windows, but it's true that the Altima 2.5 doesn't have air conditioning and neither does the new Accord DX.
    Yeah, that makes sense. Give the car power windows and locks, but not AC. Ugh!
    "BTW, all 2002-2003 Altimas have had power windows standard, regardless of model trim"

Must have changed this during the 2002 run, because I saw and touched the manual windows in a base Altima 2.5 a year ago.

Anyway, I looked at Nissandriven.com, and they don't list A/C as an option for the 2.5 model. Who will buy it?
    You would have to have AC dealer installed in the car. It's the same way with Hondas that don't come standard with AC. And the dealer usually charges $1450 for it. The ones here in MD do anyway. For that price, you might as well upgrade to the next higher model with AC standard.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    I live in South Florida, and I dont think any car manufacturer dares to send cars without A/C to this part of the country or they will sit on the dealer lot for a VERY long time. They might as well send them without engines.
  • ctalericoctalerico Member Posts: 23
    I just bought a 2002 gold or shall I say "velvet beige" Altima 2.5S. I like the car but I had a problem one week after I bought it. I couldn't get the darn thing to start! The key would turn but the engine wouldn't. Only if I put the gearshift in neutral would it start. I took it back to the dealer and they had to make an "adjustment" to something. They said it was on a technical bulletin from Nissan and that it was a common problem. I wonder why they didn't fix it BEFORE they sold me the car.
    The 2.5 w/o air probably will sell well in Canada and the Pacific NW.
  • 1wiseguy1wiseguy Member Posts: 120
    We had 39 days of 90 degree + temperatures this summer in Eastern Ontario, probably 45+ days in Southern Ont. Add in the humidex readings and it's been one hot summer. I doubt anyone (other than people on a really tight budget) would buy a midsized car without AC in this part of Canada.

My $0.02
  • jazzmaniajazzmania Member Posts: 3
    I just picked up my new '03 2.5SL. They really have improved the interior from the first '02s that I saw. The dark wood finish is much nicer, and the leather actually feels a bit softer.

I haven't had any problem so far during the 1st 30Kms (20 Miles) ;->
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Looks like they went ahead and upgraded the Altima's interior. Kinda makes me regret buying my 02 SI a couple of weeks ago. But the SI is still $5,000 cheaper than an Altima so I can't complain too loud.
  • loki234loki234 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2003 2.5 S with sunroof, ABS, some other stuff. Test drive was great, even with the 4 the car seems peppy enough, and I like how the car fits you when you sit in it. Taking delivery on Sunday. :)
    How much did yu pay? Was the car any quieter than the 02? If you test drove the 02.Did you finance? What percentage rate did you get?
    I thought you totalled your Si? Did you get another one already?
    I had the accident on Aug. 23 which was a Friday and by Wednesday the insurance company had offered me a settlement for the car. As soon as I found out how much they were giving me I went and both another one just like the one I wrecked.
  • pda97pda97 Member Posts: 91
    Did Nissan really improved the 03 Altima's interior ? I stopped by a local dealer and looked thru the closed window of a parked 03 Altima and couldn't tell the difference except for the titanium accent. What are the improvements compared to the 02 models ?? 03 owners care to comment ? I read somewhere that Nissan will wait until 05 to "substantially" upgrade the Altima's interior to give it an upscale feel. Why wait that long ?
    Last night we dropped by a local Nissan dealer to see if they had any 350Z's and they had an 03 Altima in the showroom. It looks like they tried to upgrade it a little but it's still nothing to talk about. The armrest still feels cheesy and there is still no texture to the dash. Although they did place some soft-touch inserts on the door armrest .. but it's still not enough for a car that stickers for $29,000.
    I read all these complaints about the interior and think "What's the big deal?"

I wish all the complainers would realize that the Altima is essentially an "entry level" car. It's designed to sell for $18-$20,000. What can you expect for that price range? The fact that in the SE model they shoe-horned in a powerful engine doesn't make it a $29,000 car, no matter what some people are willing to pay. Like any good business, Nissan figures there's a sucker born every minute, and some people prove them right. That's not a knock on the car.

For $20K it's a great car, and very well equipped. I haven't seen a better one in that price range, unless you're willing to buy a used car.

My guess: when they upgrade the interior, they will upgrade the price accordingly. The immutable law of economics is that you get what you pay for.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I was under the impression that the Sentra would be Nissans entry level car. The Altima has to go up against the Camry and the Accord in the family size segment of the market. After owning 2 Camrys and now the owner of a '01 Altima, Nissan has finally got the interior size up to par. Our Altima is quite a bit smaller than our '93 and '96 Camrys were.

All Nissan has to do now is to get their fit and finish up to Toyota and Honda levels and I think they will finally have a real winner with the Altima!

The Sandman :-)
    The interior is a bit better but not much. The car is noisy. The Manager told me they added seals around the doors and windows to mute the road noise but I didn't notice the difference. Other than that it basically the same car as the 02 model. It seems Nissan didn't listen to the complaints.
    I use the term "entry level" with respect to price. I see base-model Altimas at $18,000. I also see Sentras on the lot for $19-$20,000 (i.e. SE-R models, etc.). So, it is clear to me that there is significant price overlap between these two cars, indicating that they are both essentially entry level cars.

I drove a nearly base-level Camry (at about $18,500). Other than the styling, which was boooooooring, it was gutless. Yes, the Camry interior was finished better than the Altima. The Altima's exterior fit and finish are just as good as the Honda and Toyota entries. I compared paint finish and seams between doors, etc. I've done some paint and body work, and these cars are all about the same - remarkably good for the price.

So, you pays your money and you takes your choice. Sorry, but you don't get everything on a car that sells for $18-20K. With the Altima, you trade some interior quality for more performance (power and handling) and better exterior styling. It's a trade-off I'd make again.
    I'll take a $20,000 Accord LX with 160HP, 34MPG, and an excellent exterior AND interior fit and finish before I'd pay $20,000 for the Altima. 20HP isn't going to make that much of a difference if you hate the interior of the car. A Camaro has almost 300HP and I have not yet been tempted to buy one.
  • vmaturovmaturo Member Posts: 71
    Well only got to see a 4Cyl Cloth. What's up with the sunroof switch on the dash? The left side of the steering wheel at that. Just imagine trying to open the roof to wave your children bye as you leave the house. Hands all over the place.
    And the tilt/telescope wheel is one lever. The Altima uses two. So everytime you get in and lower (like I do) the wheel, you don't have to set both. And it isn't spring loaded like the Altima's. And it doesn't tilt very much either. They need to go back to the drawing board on that.
    Goose neck hinges on the trunk, small trunk at that.
    Only prop rod on the 4cyl.
    And where did the rear end of the car go? It looks chopped off at the rear.
    And the center console cover seems lifted from 1980.
    And now it looks like these transmission problems are going to cause this new introduction to have a poor reliability rating just like the Civic and Odyssey.
    Definately a big YUK.

I expected so much more. I'm liking the Altima more every day.
    Can't you come up with a different Accord bashing post? Must you reuse the same one. Some originality here ...

This is the Altima forum so I won't respond here and I already responded to this same post over in the Accord forum.
  • jblaze13jblaze13 Member Posts: 152
    I just bought one. I also compared it to my friend's Camry. I have the 2.5SL and the interior seems to be a weird mix of good and bad. The leather seats & trim, bose stereo are very good. The dashboard & other materials are pretty bad. I found the noise & ride to be very close to the camry(which says alot). I also thought the pricetag was much better. I saw the new accord before I purchased. I thought it was a beautiful vehicle until I got around to the rear. Whoa...kind of reminds me of how poor a job nissan did on the rear of the previous altima. No need for a V6. I think the package I got for the price can't be beat. However, had I purchased a 30k model, the interior materials would've been totally unacceptable. I think that's where you'll see the difference between the Altima and the Camrys & Accords. A top of the line Camry or Accord interior has a higher standard of materials. Hey Nissan, when you put leather in a vehicle cover the doggone shifter with it!
  • grogman1grogman1 Member Posts: 76
    If you don't mind - what is yours equipped with and what did you have to pay? How close to invoice? Thanks Much!
    I found the Altima ride to be a lot noiser than the Camry. I love The Altima. I wish it were a bit quieter.
  • lgoldinlgoldin Member Posts: 90
    I know that experience with my 1998 Altima has nothing to do with 2002 one, but I just want to say that when I've changed tires it made whole world of a difference. When I had stock General tires I always thought that car is very noisy. After original tires worn out, I switched to Michelin X-One. I've done test drives of new Camry and 2002 Accord and road noise of my Altima with Michelin was practically as quiet as Camry and MUCH more quiet than Accord. After those test drives I've decided to keep my Altima longer, although was ready to replace it.
  • acmeroadrunnracmeroadrunnr Member Posts: 81
    I think its time to go back to honda land now, where they have the best cars ever made in the the the whole wide world. ;)
    Do I laugh or wet myself now??? :)
  • pda97pda97 Member Posts: 91
    Honda has "spies" on every forum. They wanna make sure nobody badmouths the sacred Honda name behind their backs ! Gotta make sure the Honda myth is spread.
    I went looking for a used Honda the other day, because my best friend wrecked his car. He wanted a Civic, but only had $10K cash to spend. I told the salesman this on the used lot, asking about a 98+ Civic. He said all he had was a 1996 Accord with 80K miles on it. He said Hondas last and hold their value, and you get what you pay for. I asked how many people wanted their Civics recalled when they bought them. He didn't have a response.

I don't like the attitude of Honda dealers, most of them being cockey and arrogant. I figure if they are doing that well, they don't need my money.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Get a 1999-2000 Altima GXE or Spec Edt. it will have more features, more space and less miles than a honda and just as reliable plus no timing belt to replace. Which is a 4-500 service on most hondas. My sister now owns a 2001 Altima SE and she has only had to get the keyless entry re programed in her first 30k miles of ownership. she puts gas and changes the oil and goes. way better than the taurus she traded in for it.
    Actually, he found a 2001 Elantra automatic with 21.5K miles on it for $7999. It's fully equipped, and he really likes it.

Another friend of mine just bought a 1997 Special Edition Altima with 60K miles and stick shift. He really likes it, but I don't know how much he paid for it.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Head over to real world trade in value for numbers on the elantra he could probably be out the door for 7 or under.
    Retail on this car is $9500 though from a dealer. Trade is always going to be lower than retail value is.
    I'm not a spy. I just happen to think the Altima is a nice car with the exception of the interior and at one point in time I was considering the purchase of one. And I think it's funny how many "opinions" get represented as facts when it comes to cars.

Vocus: I take everything you say with a grain of salt. You have anger issues because you can't get out of that VW. How much do you owe on that $15,000 Jetta again???
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Aren't you the same person who used to be on the Protege board with your boyfriend Fxashun? Your posts seem to all have a certain attitude that I remember when you were always bashing the Pro.
    Vocus, doesn't this poster sound like the same person?

The Sandman ;-)
    Anonymous: I am not talking anything about my car. This is a separate issue.

Sandman: I think you are right. Also, he owns a Honda Si, which would make sense since that's the car that the girl traded her Pro on.
  • ultimaultima Member Posts: 96
    I bought my 2002 Altima 3.5 SE V6 (Silver) back in March of this year (in Los Angeles)... In order to save some cash, I asked the dealer if they could install aftermarket leather, and they said yes. So I bought it with cloth, and for $900 got "two-tone" lexus-like colors with a "gathered" look installed. Total Price I paid for the care including leather, tax, license, etc. (i.e., out the door) was $25,150.

Absolutely LOVE driving the car -- though I must admit, Nissan LIED about the gas mileage... No way that car gets 21/26 (or even 19/26 as I've sometimes seen it.).

I almost bought the 4-banger, until I took them both out on the highway on my road test... The V6 was MUCH smoother, quieter, and felt more solid on the road.

I also test drove the Camry & Accord. Both had nicer nicer interiors, but no guts and soccer-mom styling -- I'm not THAT old. And to boot, at first glance, most people think it's a Lexus.

I agree with many of the posts... I too LOVE the rear-end, but the front stinks of "compact" car, so, for $200 I bought a Trenz Grille and it looks OUTSTANDING. Been tempted to buy the "silver" dash kit, but am afraid I'll do it wrong and that it might peel in a year or two.

Also test drove an Infiniti G35 a month or so ago... WOW. Good thing I didn't see that before I bought the Altima... Might have been forced to choke-up the additional $10,000 (though I think the front of the G35 looks better than the rear -- guess the grass is always greener)

As far as I can see, Nissan/Infiniti has some of the best looking cars I've seen over the past year, from the 2002 Altima, to the G35 (and new G35 Coupe), to the new 350Z. So, I guess I don't mind being their "Guinea Pig" for now, cause I look GOOOOOOD in them thar wheels!

Also... With such a radical redesign, I was surprised the kept the "Altima" name... They should have called it the ULTIMA -- would have been more suiting, don't ya think?
    Where can I get the factory manual for a 2002 Altima, hopefully at a discount? Thanks.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Try Ebay. Search for "altima service manual" and you should see a match for the 2002 model.
This discussion has been closed.