Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    I just noticed there is already another forum here devoted to comparing the Accord and Altima, so this forum and can be used to talk about Altima problems not related to the Honda Accord etc..
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    The reason that cars without side air curtains seem to do as good in the tests is that they are not yet testing for head injuries in side collisions. When they do, you'll see a big difference.
  • astorey1astorey1 Member Posts: 41
    I'm torn between these two cars....
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You should drive both, then decide which you like. After all, you have to drive/pay for the car for the next couple of years.

I haven't driven either of the cars, but the Camry doesn't handle as sporty as the Altima from what I have read here and in other media sources. The Altima also has more power too.
    I have driven both of them and am still torn between the two. I thought I might get some opinions that might sway me a bit!
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    then I'd suggest you get the Camry LE. It's a better value than the 2.5S. Plus, Nissan hasn't ironed out all the kinks of the 2.5L engine yet because they rushed the release of the 2002 Altimas, thus the Camry's engine is a bit smoother and more refined.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    How could you still be torn even after driving them? You must have some preference between the looks and ride of each.
    When will the '04 Altimas come out? Has anyone heard anything about them as to changes, etc?
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    My guess is that they'll be out around September 2003, since the '03 Altimas came out around September 2002. Haven't heard anything about them, though. Nissan is concentrating on the Murano, '04 Maxima, and full-sized truck at the moment, so I doubt there will be big changes to the Altima.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I hope that when the Altima gets it's facelift (I hope it doesn't get the ugly "tooth" grill) that the interior is updated a bit. That would be nice.

What I wonder is if the Altima will be facelifted for 2004 or 2005? According to the latest traditions, the Altima and Maxima have gone two years before revisions. Maybe it will be updated for 2004?
    up buying the '03 Camry LE yesterday! I test drove the Altima on Tuesday and even though I thought that was the car for me, I loved the Camry a little more. Another plus was that I ended up getting the Camry for only $200 more than the Altima with options!
    The Camry LE is a very nice car and I'm sure you'll have years of trouble free miles.
    I am curious, did you get ABS?
  • bsappbsapp Member Posts: 21
    Congratulations on the purchase of your new Camry. As the past owner of a 2002 Altima 2.5 SL, I feel you definitely purchased the better car. Enjoy !

Bill
  • trurltrurl Member Posts: 1
    I have been driving Altimas for more than 5 years. In fact I still have one, and this is my second Altima.
    Nice car. Comfortable and reliable. This could be arguable of course, but it was Altima's look that attracted me most.
    But now they spoiled all the fun :-(
    No question, new Altima is a great car. From the practical point of view may be the best of moderm midsize sedans.
    But (this is only my very personal opinion!) the ugliest one as well!

Now I am thinking of buying a replacement for my 1998 Altima SE and I hate to admit it, but it won't be another Altima... :-(
    Of course, any comments on styling is opinion and everyone is entitled to his/her own.

I'm just a little surprised to hear trurl's comments especially because I always thought the old Altima had the most plain and ungainly shape inside and out, and the styling (and the 240HP engine) that was one the main factors that I purchased the 2002 Altima.

To each his own, I guess. Good luck on your next purchase.
    Thanks for the congrats on my new car(even though it's not an Altima). Since I was 14 I wanted a Camry(weird, I know) and am 22 now. I loved them until the new design of the Altima came out and forgot all about the Camry. Like I said earlier, I test drove the Camry this past Sunday, test drove the Altima Tuesday, test drove the Camry again Tuesday and bought it on Wednesday.

We didn't have too good of a experience with my local Nissan dealership. We were offered $300 for my trade in, which the first Toyota dealership offered $1000, so that was pretty much an insult. They offered us 5.24% and Toyota offered 3.9% plus a $500 rebate(which they ended up doubling to get us to buy). Another thing was the test drive. We got in the Altima, turned out of the parking lot and drove for about 45 seconds(I'm serious) when the salesman said "oops, we're almost out of gas, we need to go back." I thought we'd be going back to get gas or to get a different car but as soon as we got there he got out took us inside and tried getting us to buy it. So, our test drive lasted 45 seconds which was about half a mile! I couldn't believe it! Did he really think we would buy the car after that short of a test drive? I did think that the plastic Nissan used did make it look cheap. The Camry's plastic looks so much nicer. So far I love the Camry. You can barely tell that the engine is running and when driving it feels like you're floating on air!

Thanks for all the help on here when I would ask questions about the Altima!
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    astorey1: If the dealer let you drive the car longer ect would you have purchased the Altima over the Camry. I'm might be looking to purchase a new car in a couple of months. Did the Camry have a V6? If so have you checked into the sludge and other problems with Toyota. V6? Steve
  • ultimaultima Member Posts: 96
    Curious why ya'll didn't consider the 2003 Accord?

I have an Altima -- and love it -- but many have chosen the Accord over the Camry.

In the "exterior looks" dept., I'd rank:

1. Altima
    2. Accord Coupe
    3. Camry
    4. Mazda 6
    5. Accord Sedan

In the "peformance" dept., I'd rank:

1. Altima
    2. Mazda 6
    3. Accord Coupe
    4. Accord Sedan
    5. Camry

In the "resale" dept., I'm guessing:

1. Accord Sedan
    2. Camry
    2. Accord Coupe
    4. Altima
    5. Mazda 6

In the "interior" dept., I'd rank:

1. Accord/Camry/Mazda 6
    2. Altima

I didn't include the Passat b/c it's a bit more than the others.
    Accord(weird, I know). I'm 22 now and when the new Altima's came out I fell in love with them. I completely forgot about the Camry and Accord. We loved the look of the Altima as well as the price. The Camry and Accord were a good bit higher than the Altima so we concentrated on researching the Altima.

We had planned on test driving the Altima on a Tuesday and my husband said that sunday why don't we go look at the Camry's. Needless to say the dealership was open and we ended up taking it for a test drive and absolutely loved it. We couldn't imagine liking a car any more than we did that one. It was so smooth(like floating on air) and so quiet that you don't know the engine is running. We also liked the features. We loved it but still wanted to look at the Altima since we liked it so much. We were offered a decent price on the Camry but still wanted a lower price(offered $20,200 at this dealership with trade in).

We had decided that if the Altima drove in close comparisson to the Camry and was a good bit cheaper that we would go with the Altima. When we were looking at the Altima on Tuesday I immediately noticed that the interior of the car did indeed look cheap(the plastics). That was a turn off for me. We test drove it(the whole 45 seconds or so) which really gave us a bad taste for the dealership(the only Nissan one w/i 60 miles). The little bit that I did drive I can tell you that it was not as smooth much less as quiet as the Camry. We went in to talk price and was offered $300 for my trade in(what a insult), 5.24% and the final price offered to us was $18,996.00.

When we left we went to another Toyota dealership about 25 minutes away. We drove the Camry again and still loved it - we couldn't find a single thing that we didn't like about it. They had the color that I loved(Catalina Blue) with the options that I wanted. We ended up getting: 3.9%, $500 rebate, no trade in(will sell on our own to make more $$) with a final price of $19,100. So, it was $104 more than the Altima!

Everyone knows that Toyota has a wonderful reputation so we felt really good to be going with them instead of with Nissan.

Meca2 - The Camry does come in a V6 - definitely a good bit more $$ - You can get it in the LE class. I will tell you though, I was thinking about getting a V6 but the 4 cyl in the Camry is good enough for me.

Ultima - I agree with you that the Altima looks better on the outside than the Camry. It has a more "sporty" look to it which is what I liked about it so much. A coupe was not a consideration for me because I would like to start a family in the near future and was wanting a car more suitable for that not to mention that I plan on keeping this car a while. I did a ton of research and found that based on performance the Camry outdid itself. I know that the Altima has more hp which I liked, but all together the Camry is better. I read an article somewhere online last week that said for resale Toyota's are #1, Honda's #2. If you look at the depreciation values on this site you will see that a Accord depreciates faster than the Camry.

I would never put down the Altima because I still like it to an extent but not near as much as I like my Camry. I recently read something that said if you are considering the Altima you should definitely test drive the Camry and Accord as well. I definitely recommend doing this - at least the Camry. There were little things that I liked in the Altima but overall we thought that the Camry was much nicer - especially since we got it for only $104 more than the Altima.

One more thing - we rented a Camry to go to Nashville about a year and a half ago(9 hrs each way) and we loved it - so we already knew that we liked the way that they drove.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    An Accord will hold it's value better than a Camry. Camry's value may be higher but Camrys are usually more to begin with.
    some of the Accord's that we looked at were more than some of the Camry's. Why do you say it will hold it's value better?
  • cfocfocfocfo Member Posts: 147
    You mentioned your 45 sec test drive at Nissan, my experience at the Nissan Dealership wasn't the best either. The whole time in there the sales managers in the middle of the show room looked like hungry sharks in a tank. You could feel the presure they were putting on their salesman, which in turn, the salesman then directed that pressure on me.

The 3 or 4 other dealerships I went to were extremely courteous, even Honda, with their cars being in such demand.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    The Accord may have been more but the Camry may not have had equal options. A loaded Camry XLE V6 with NAV will be $31,484 while the Accord will be $28,000. That's over $3000 grand difference. An Accord LX is $100 cheaper than a Camry LE. A 2000 Camry LE with 30,000 miles in good condition has a trade value of $9260 according to kbb while a 2000 Accord LX with 30,000 miles is worth $10,220.

But this is the wrong room for this...
    Altima, Camry, and Accord -- obviously decided on the Altima.

But I will say this, of the three, Honda was willing to negotiate the LEAST of the three, and Toyota the MOST of the three -- Nissan was in middle... at least where I live in Los Angeles.

I thought the Accord drove better than the Camry, but its styling was a little bland for my taste.

The Alty gave me the styling, V6 punch, handling, etc. I was looking for, and by adding the two-tone aftermarket leather (only $850) it changed the whole "feel" of the interior.

All three are great cars... Congrats again on your Camry!!!
    Thanks and congrats on owning an Altima! Even though I didn't buy it, I still like it!
    You're decision looks like it was more of a no brainer than I had ever imagined. That Nissan dealer's salesman doesn't deserve to sell even one car.

Once again, congrats on the Camry. I would have done the same thing under the circumstances.
  • tpg5tpg5 Member Posts: 3
    What color two tone leather did you get and does the dealer charge you installation charge on top of the price of the leather, and wha kind of deal did you get $$$$ ? Enjoy your ride!!
    A lady that is friend with many of much of my family, just brought a new Altima 2.5SL. It's loaded with all the options. She has the sunroof, and heated front seats. It's very nice. It has the splash guards and sunroof visor. The color is Super Black, and I think the leather is Charcoal.

Jack (her name) came by my house Sunday night, but I was STILL at work! I hate I missed her, but I am sure I'll catch her before the week's out.

I can't wait until I get my new car!
    "What color two tone leather did you get and does the dealer charge you installation charge on top of the price of the leather, and wha kind of deal did you get $$$$?"

The color's are kind of hard to describe, but I'll try:

1st tone: Kind of a gray/green
    2nd tone: Kind of a gray/white

If you've ever checked-out the colors in a Lexus, I kind of copied those... and when they installed it, they kind of gathered/pleated the leather -- similar to the pleated/curtained leather on doors of the Camry. If you want to email me, I'll be happy to send you a picture... Looks NOTHING like the stock Nissan leather and WAAAAAAY better.

I tell everyone now -- if you want leather, get the aftermarket leather... a lot better than the factory leather, and can save you money without having to buy all the things that come with the "leather package" if they're things you don't care about.

The dealer doesn't actually install the leather -- they sub-contract it out to other companies. Total charge (I have the invoice) was only $850.

As for the car, including the leather, tax, lic, etc. I paid $25,000 OUT-THE-DOOR (made the dealer back into the price)... It's a Silver 2002 Altima 3.5SE V6.

Hope this helps.
  • pda97pda97 Member Posts: 91
    I believe you. I was at a Honda dealership yesterday test driving the new V6 Accord. It was raining cats and dogs outside. The car was so fast and agile, I was able to dodge all the rain drops. Not ONE single rain drop hit the car ! It was as dry as a bone when I drove it back to the lot. This is an AMAZING car. Thank God for Honda !!!!
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    Greatings and Salutations,

I've been searching for a new car for over a year now. I originally went out with my grandfather, since I'm only 19 and it seamed to me that no dealership wanted to pay me the time of day. well anyways he took me to a Nissan Dealership, and to say the least I wasn't to thrilled. but then when I walked through the doors and say the new Altima I about did a flip. yet now I'm in a delema I like the Altima 2.5sl very much but keep on looking and keeping up with the newest info for many of the other sedans. yet I keep on goin back to the altima but still have my concerns about getting the best car. I currently have a 92 buick lesabre and have 160,000 miles on it and it still runs great. but due to the fact that I want a new car and that my dad is taking this one I figured it was time to look. I've researched hundreds of sites. Yet I've found cars that I like but I'm afraid because like the Infinity G35 is rear wheel drive. and My father tells me I don't want a RWD car in the winter and they are horrible. Can anyone give me there opinions on what type of car I should go for .... THANX
    Greatings and Salutations,

I was reading some of the earlier comments about the altima and was quite surprised by one of them. and that delt with the instalation of the aftermarket leather. leather is something I'd really like to have in the car yet I didn't want to go to the SL model... but didn't have the money for the 3.5 W/ leather option.... my question is how do I go about getting after market leather... will the dealership do it or do they try and fast talk there way out of it... how much does after market cost and does it hold up as well as the factory installed leather... (if not holding up better in fact) Thanx
    Greatings...

I'd like to hear from anyone and everyone conserning there veiws and opinions of the 03 altima (s , sl, or se). I'm considering buying one and I'd like to know what people like and dislike about either the 02 or 03 altimas...
    thanx
  • jps4915jps4915 Member Posts: 8
    Response to cjs2002...After Market Leather-

I just leased a 2003 Altima 2.5S and added after market leather seats. Most Nissan dealers should have connections with vendors who will install the leather seats. In the Indianapolis area, there is one Nissan "approved" vendor. If this vendor is used, Nissan will "residualize" the cost of aftermarket leather in a lease (I'm told up to a maximum of $1,000). If the Altima lease is based upon a 50% residual value, the residualized leather will only cost you 50% of the cost of leather over the term of the lease. If you purchase instead of lease, you will probably have a wider choice of vendors. Just for a point of reference, the preferred vendor in this area is charging $1,050- 1,100 for the leather in the Altima.

I have been told that after market leather is usually a higher qaulity leather than that installed by Nissan in the Altima. I will pick up the car in a week, so I can't give a personal testimonial yet.
    I can tell you first hand, the "aftermarket" leather is MILES better than the stock leather from Nissan.

I had this done to my Altima 3.5 SE V6 -- I have the invoice... Total cost was $850. The Dealer doesn't actually do it, they sub-contract it out to a local company... I would ask the Dealer if they can tell you who does their leather work, maybe even show you some work (if they have any on site), go to the company and ask to see some of their work, or even ask the Dealer for the phone numbers of a customers who had it done and ask them.
  • vwmonsoonvwmonsoon Member Posts: 16
    Can the Single CD player in the Altima play CD-R and CD-RW? Did anyone try that?
    I doubt CD-RW's... but it can play CD-R's depending on the file type on the CD-R.

Example:

CD-R with MP3 format files = NO

CD-R with CDA format files = YES

** Note: CDA format files are the standard type of files on any music CD.

If you have "Easy CD Creator", you could convert your MP3's to WAV files, then simply ad them to the CD you're trying to create and "Easy CD Creator" will automatically convert WAV files to CDR files. (Also, you need to "finalize" or "close" the CD in the software before it can play in a standard CD player).

Hope this helps...
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Easy CD Creator (and just about every CD burning program on earth) does NOT NEED .wav format files to make audio cds - you open/create your project as an audio cd, and just plunk in (drag-drop) the MP3 files. It'll create an audio CD.
  • altimaormaxaltimaormax Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Just getting my money back from my Lemon (2001 Monte Carlo) and I am thinking about Nissan. I found a GREAT deal on a 2002 maxima loaded with 20k miles. Trying to decide between that and a new Altima. The Maxima is a smooth ride, but the 2.5 Altima feels very similar to my monte carlo. I am going to test drive a camry this week. I am holding back on the Maxima mainly because of the new design....what do you guys think??
    I tried to drag/drop MP3 but it didn't work... Maybe I did something wrong... Thanks!

What version of Easy CD Creator do you have?
    Also, what model Altima are you looking at. Personally it comes down to what you want.

Both will be fast and fun, but the Maxima will exceed the Altima in quality.

The Altima does look better IMO.
  • altimaormaxaltimaormax Member Posts: 2
    Maxima is an SE. Has the alloy wheels, fog lights, spoiler and everything else that came w/that package.

Altima 2.5s and I guess I would add on abs for the additional 800. Would like fog lights too.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    u must have easy cd 4+ deluxe edition. otherwise you have to do what the other poster said. Try nero burning rom much better than easy cd imho.
  • ianpierceianpierce Member Posts: 6
    After two months of having the Altima 3.5 SE here are my likes and dislikes:
    Dislikes, in order of importance:
    1) Engine noise when accelerating, even slightly. Its not really noisy (like the 2.5) but it is very noticeble.
    2) A rumbling sound near the truck area when stopping. After I moved around in my seat while at a stop, I realized it was gas in the gas tank making the noise. Strange. I've never heard that in any other car I have ever owned.
    3) A clicking sound (like hitting a window with the tip of your key) around the driver's window when I make a left turn. Body flex?
    4) Although minor, the turn signal makes a hollow sound (like popping your tongue in your mouth).
    5) Cheap center console latch. Its just a piece of plastic and will need replacing soon
    6) Interior door panel scuffs easily.

Things I like about the car in order of how impressive it is:
    1) The engine. The power. This car moves absolutely effortlessly. It just glides.
    No lag at all. I am very impressed with the power and responsivness.
    2) Handling. Handles like a sports car. It does not feel like a four door at all. I traded in a 95 Mazda MX 6 for this car, and there really is very little difference in handling, if any at all.
    3) The interior, if you can beleive it. I have the new black interior (the one with stripes in the material instead of the dots) and I really like the look. Other people have committed as well that they like it. Out of the Camry, Accord, and the new Mazda 6, I like the feel, look, and layout better in the Altima hands down (although the door panels are a little cheap). The interior just seems, to me, to be sportier than any of the others. The Mazda 6's interior is of better quality materials, but I get a claustrophobic feel sitting in the front (The dash is just too high and squared off - it reminds me of a miniature Ford Taurus inside).
    4)Sound system. For a stock sound system it sounds fairly good - and I like my music loud and clean with some bass. Of course, though, I'll be installing an amp and new speakers and a subwoofer later.
    5)Steering wheel stereo controls. Very convenient. And I love it when my wife forgets about them as she tries to turn down the stereo as I'm driving. The sound just seems to never decrease. ;) But, these controls limit the stereo head unit I can have, right (if I want to keep using them)?
    6) All the little extras: auto window UP; dash computer that computes distance till empty, hours driven, outside temperature, and a little "ICY" indicator for icy conditions (below 37 deg); a deep and good size cup holder with rubber grips that actually hold the cup; Electric adjustable drivers seat with really good lumbar support (has actually helped my back).

Some things I've read about that I don't agree with: Torque in the steering wheel when accelerating - you have to REALLY get on it to feel it.
    AC controls and Radio controls too similiar - you would have to be a complete idiot to confuse the two.
    Wind or road noise - While there is some road noise compared to my wife's Avalon, it is still fairly quiet. I haven't notice any wind noise at all.
    Any comments?
  • fastaltfastalt Member Posts: 24
    I have mine about 5 months now and agree with most of your "likes". There is a fix for your "gas in the gas tank making the noise." There is a Nissan Service Bulletin NTB02-103 which will fix the noise. I have experienced it as well and it only happens when the gas tank is totally full. The fix requires Nissan to remove the gas tank and install a "baffle" to prevent the sloshing of the gas. They will need to remove and re-install the tank, mufflers, and other parts to make the fix..I don't have a lot of confidence in any dealers service people to let them do such an extensive job without them creating more problems than the solve, so I am living with the rare occurance of this "sloshing" sound.
    I do find the ride somewhat stiffer than any other car I have owned. Do you find the ride stiff as well. I would like to know since I have not really heard this as a complaint on any 3.5's...Other than that, I love the car.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    You can download the sloshing fuel tank bulletin here:
    http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/t/b/tbgear/Fuel_tank_TSB.zip
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Thanks for the informative post . . .
    2 quick questions:
    1.) manual or auto. trans.?
    2.) typical gas mileage city / hwy?
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Who finds sounds of sloshing fuel baffling (!)
    2022 X3 M40i
  • ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    Whenever I drive several miles I hace a smell that comes ino my car. It smells as though a plastic bag is burning. I checked under my car and I found a plastic shoPping bag attached to the
    exhaust pipe. I took it off 2 weeks ago and the smell is still there. Anyone with this problem?
    Have an 02 2.5S Altima !9,000 MILES.
  • fastaltfastalt Member Posts: 24
    I have had a plastic bag melt on my exhaust pipe on a previous car. I suggest you try to scrap off as much of the plastic as you can(when the car is cold) with a paint scraper or some other flat tool. After that you may have to live with the smell until it all burns off. It will not harm you or the car. It's just annoying...
This discussion has been closed.