Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I have enjoyed the Altima I bought last week.

So far everything seems to be in great working order except the radio, which has some bad reception.

I plan to have the radio worked on soon because it has some problems.

The interior is a VAST improvement quality wise, but some things are still a bit lacking.

I can't complain too much because the car is a joy to drive and a lot of fun. Not to mention powerful.

My mother and stepfather like the car a lot and I am very satsified with the purchase.

I do wish the car had adjustable headrest in the rear, but I won't be sitting back there much anyway so I don't have to worry about that.

The trip computer functions are super cool as well as the new steering wheel radio controls.

Overall, I am satisfied with my Smoke with charcoal cloth 2.5S Altima.

:)
  • rock44xrock44x Member Posts: 78
    nissan is on a roll pic of the 2005 altima seR

http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia/nissan2005/altima_se-r.shtml
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    Glad you are enjoying your new ride.

I was interested to hear what you think is still lacking in the redesigned interior. Anything major?
    Well, some of the materials on the lower part of the console are a bit cheap.

The door panel is misaligned.

Overall, I like the interior a LOT! The exterior is HOTNESS!!!
  • jumpnjoejumpnjoe Member Posts: 34
    I'm glad all your research paid off and you got what you wanted and are happy with it. Congrats
  • the_gladiatorthe_gladiator Member Posts: 58
    Any suggestions?

Fan will not blow heat and air conditioning except at the highest fan speed setting.

What could this be? Is the fan easy to get at and or remove?
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Fan speed resistor or selctor switch. Do you have access to an ohmmeter to test these components?
  • the_gladiatorthe_gladiator Member Posts: 58
    I do have an ohm meter tester.

Not sure if it is the selector button or fan speed resistor.

How would I find that out?

Thanks for the reply.
  • portknoxxaportknoxxa Member Posts: 69
    It seems that Nissan is positioning the Altima to leap frog the Maxima. I know the Max offers a sense of luxury and the Altima a sense of sportiness. 2 questions:

1. Which car in a comparison do you guys like the 2005 Altima w/ 250HP or the current Maxima?

2. Do you guys think that Nissan should offer a V8 in the Maxima around 300HP, to give it that extra edge over the Altima, and take the Maxima into the luxury division?
    It may be integrated with the selector switch. Using your volt/ohm meter, test the power output at the switch and the resistor.
    I think Nissan really messed the Max up for 2004. The Altima IMO, is a better car and has more value to it than the Maxima does now.

There was a time when the Maxima was the "Top" Nissan and the Altima was the more economical family sedan. Today, the Altima is sportier, better looking, better handling and just as roomy as the Maxima.

Also, with the 05 update, the Altima actually has a BETTER interior (Design and materials) than the Maxima.

Nissan has a SERIOUS problem on there hands.

The styling of the Maxima is too derivative of the Altima and thus seems like a copy of the Alitma. To many people, the Maxima is too bold, while the Altima is sporty looking and nicer.

Nissan needs to give the Maxima AWD, about 300 hp, a NICER interior that is worthy of the price they want to sell the damn car for, and leave the price the SAME.

Until then, the Altima is the better choice IMO. That is why I bought an Altima after YEARS of wanting a Maxima.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    I walked past several Maximas on my way to the Altima I drove this AM (see cross post below) and I would not even consider the Max. Styling is one (very personal) issue for me, but I would not even consider the current Max. And I owned (and liked) a 1985 Maxima SE - a long time ago. .

- - x post from 2005 Altima Future cars board - -

Just returned from a test drive of a 2005 Altima SL 3.5. (With NAV and Traction Control / Air Bag Pkg.)

Overall, given that this is a FWD car, it is a pretty impressive effort.

I had driven a 3.5 automatic (4-speed) just after introduction. The difference between that car and this one was more dramatic than I would have expected. The interior materials, fit and finish are clearly improved. The NVH improvement is substantial. And the 5-speed automatic has an excellent man-u-matic mode. Very well executed and to my taste.

The ride and handling under mildly aggressive driving was solid, firm, well damped and responsive.

The 3.5 L V6 is still a very good motor. At 250 HP / 249 TQ through this trans., it certainly delivers performance that most anyone would find adequate. And most would likely find sporty. With an EPA rating of 30 highway and a 20 gal. tank, the cruising range potential is useful and pretty remarkable.

If FWD were not an issue for me, I would very seriously consider this car. For just over $30K list as driven, with a pretty effective NAV system, this looks to me like a attractive package.

Just my $.02 contribution (less $.03 rebate – I owe $.01!!!)

- Ray
    Impressed.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • ericuericu Member Posts: 16
    Now with the Altima SE-R coming out, Nissan must have something up their sleeve for the Maxima. I very much doubt they will phase out the Maxima or even let the Altima supercede it. What about all those loyal Max owners owning multiple max's. Once you go max, you can't go back. The next step for the maxima may have to be all-wheel- drive. I don't think just increasing the HP is going to cut it. Has anyone heard about a 2005/2006 Max model? As an aside, the sportier 2006 Lexus GS 430 looks sweet, but expensive as usual.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    The Max is being squeezed from below by the Altima and from above by the Infiniti G35. The difference between comparably equipped Maximas and G35s is only a few hundred $. Why would anyone buy a Maxima when they could get a G35 for essentially the same price? That's reason Nissna won't give the Maxima AWD or a more powerful engine (it already has 5 hp more than the G35 sedan.)
  • ericuericu Member Posts: 16
    "Why would anyone buy a Maxima when they could get a G35 for essentially the same price?"

Essentially, if one thought the exterior design of the Maxima was more appealing than the G35... or if one thought the G35 is just too small... just personal preference as usual... every little thing counts, not just cost. The Max looks bold, whereas the G35 sedan looks conservative.

I'm sure Nissan marketing will think of something.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Im not a fan of what Nissan has done with the Maxima, they can produce the car with basically no added profit risk because it shares basically every component of its chassis, engine, interior- with another Nissan product.

~alpha
    The Max is FWD, G35 is RWD. Even the 2.5 liter Altima has the inherent FWD torque steer. I'm surprised that Ray's test car had the airbag package, as that is usually a special-order option (and should be standard).
    "torque steering"
    what the big deal with torque steering and the altima, the altima is not the only car this, ok you can't slam on the gas with your hands off the wheel so what, name one 240hp car you can do that on, the 3.5 altima is a great and fun car to drive and the 2005 model is even better, the altima sales very well so it not a problem so the altima torque steering need to be laid to rest.
    the altima SE-R is going to be one hell of a car hand down there is nothing on the market like it, and for under 30k (with traction it most likely sill be under 30k) , this car is not for everyone but for the people like me who want more power and more aggressive looks in a car, this car will not affect G35(sport Luxury)or max(affordable Luxury) sale those are more conservative cars but it may affect SE sale but that what Nissan wants. this car is going to be on par with evo and wrx, nice.

AWD max is hard to say with g35x and future 2006 m35 AWD it a good chances but i think a trim level may die if the Altima SE-R sales well IMO
  • andy71andy71 Member Posts: 96
    May be Nissan should offer the 4.5L Infiniti V8 for the Maxima at least as an option. Nissan could position the Maxima as a lower price alternative to the Q/M45. I know it will raise the price of the Maxi to near or over 40 grand but they really need to distinguish the Maxima from the Altima. Otherwise, the Maxi could be history in a few short years and that would be a shame
    4.5L V8 in a FWD chassis (any chassis, not just the Max) equals a beast - in my opinion, this would be no fun to drive.
    Now an Infiniti G45x would potentially interest me.
    - Ray
    AWD + 4.5L V8 could equal LOTS of fun to drive . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    I should have mentioned RWD. Obviously, 340 Hp and 330 ft-lb of torque would be too much for a front wheel drive car. Adding an AWD version would also broaden the car's appeal. Just think about it a lower price alternative to the BMW 540i, Mb E500 and Audi A8. Then the Maxima can truly be the 4 Door Sports Car.
    If Nissan does decide to "luxurize" the Maxima I was thinking about how hard it would be to convince people to buy the car, after all it's still a Maxima, and it's going to M.S.R.P. for over $35K and probably close to $40K with RWD or AWD and 300+ HP, and the other luxury features the car should have. People will still see it as a Maxima(under $30K). It's like paying $70K for a Volkswagen. I do not see it as an alternative to a BMW 5, E-Class, or Audi A6, but as an alternative to a Lexus GS, M45, TL. I've never owned a Max, but I've always loved Maximas and this generation Maxima is great. I priced one late last year and it was approaching $30,000 easily, and falling out of my range. For some odd reason the Maxima reminds me of Lexus' GS 300/430, except the Maxima does not have the V8. I'd choose a Max. over a GS300, but not over a GS 430. I own a '04 Galant GTS, but that Altima SE-R is going to be a killah. I think it's going to severely cut into Max/G35 sedan sales, and it might challenge Accord/Camry for top family sedan. Do you guys really think that the SE-R is going to retail for under $30k.
    1) if any one want a max with a v8 and awd or rwd look at a Infiniti that why nissan has a Luxury brand. in fact the 06 M45(340hp rwd) is going to be about the same size as the max and the 06 M35 (270+hp rwd and awd) is replacing the out going max clone the I35.

2)"portknoxxa"

does the Evo hurt Galant GTS sale no why cause they are made for different people, Altima SE-R is a tricked out Altima with 18' rims, body spoiler, aggressive looks. this is not a conservative near Luxury car like the Max/G35.
    TL A-Spec vs the RL
    WRX Sti vs 05 legacy 2.5GT
    S4 vs A6 v8
    IS300 vs ES300
    Performance models don't affect Luxury or higher class model even if they are in the same price.
    Would the 4.0L V6 in the new Pathfinder and Xterra fit in the Maxima? What a beast...
    i'm not sure, but why the max already has the same engine as the 287hp 350Z.
  • complex1complex1 Member Posts: 13
    Hi!
    What about how Altima's differ for different years? Do you know if any specific year/model has some specific problems with reliability, engine or whatever?

Is it alwasys true that 'the latter the better'?
    What to take under $5000?

Thank you!
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Welcome!

Your best bet, in my opinion, would be to consult the reliability charts in the April Auto Issue of Consumer Reports. Unfortunately, however, those do not go all the way back to 1994. Id stay away from that model anyway, which had issues with poorly designed passenger side airbags (changed for 1995). The 1998 Altima was redesigned, but used same engine/transmissions, slightly tweaked. If you can afford a newer one withe the same miles as an older one, you're probably better off with that one.

~alpha
    The Altima and Maxima are more similar to each other: size, power, auto/manual tranny. The Evo and Galant are distinctly two different cars: One only offers an auto, the other a manual, one is a family size car the other "econo size". I do not think that if you are shopping for a Galant that you will end up buying a Evo, and vice versa. But if you are shopping for Max/Altima it may go either way. With that being said I do see your point about Nissan's luxury division, Infiniti offering the V8's, but the Maxima would be sweet with one.
  • icedog97icedog97 Member Posts: 141
    I have a 1998 Camry LE with 78K miles that I don't owe anything on...it's in need of some service, new tires and some paint work...depending on the paint work I choose to have, I expect it will cost me 1.5-2K to get the Camry in top shape...without paint work, probably $700-800

I was thinking of trading it in on a 2002 Protege ES (Dark Green) with 50K miles. It has a spoiler, moonroof/sunroof and side air bags...along with the all other things you get in an ES. The deal I have worked out currently puts me at about 3.5K plus tax and tag...which I would pay cash for.

OR, I could get a 2000 Nissan Altima SE, with the same options (car is black) with 63K miles at about the same price.

What woudld you guys do?
  • manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    If those are your only options, I would keep the Camry.

BTW, if you were going to trade the Camry for the Protege in question, it should be a straight up trade. In other words, you should not have to pay any additional money. Where I live you can buy a used Protege ES with 50K miles for about $5000. Don't you think your Camry is worth more than $1500?
    Where do you live?

I'm in Pittsburgh, PA...the Protege is a 2002...a 2000 ES is being offered for 7,950...it has less miles and is not as nice.

The sticker on the window of this Protege is 9,999...a 2003 ES up the road has 16K miles and a sticker of 12,000...

I realize you should never pay sticker, but in this market, I'd have to pay 1/2 of the sticker/window price to get the deal you are talking about...
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    I like the 97 Altimas, last year for the original style and with side door beams required for 1997 cars. (I own one) ;-)
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    We have this car and with 60k on the clock, it's still a pleasure to drive. I test drove a '03 Pro, and was very underwhelmed.
    Go for an Altima, a much better car, in my opinion. The GLE's are really nice also!

The Sandman :-)
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    ghave to agree with Tomcat 630 the 96-97 Altima's are a classic bodystyle. The 93-95 look the same as the 96-97's but the front grille and tailights are a little different. Nissan refreshed the 1st generation Altima in between the 95 and 96 models if I stand correct. The newer ones particulary the 02-04 Altima's are sweet looking. I'm just not sure if the tailights will age well and be a classic like the 1st generation Altima was.

BTW, the 96-97 Altima with a little spoiler on the trunk looks sweet. Not one of those tall looking spoilers looks a souped up car would have. I'm talking about a factory spoiler which would probably come standard on the SE trim(the sport model)if I'm correct for the 1st generation Altima's.

The 2nd generation Altima was on my shopping list for a first car 5 years ago.
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Local Toyota Dealer has the following on their used car lot:
     2000 Altima SE, 65,000mi,auto,burgandy color,power moonroof,good condition
     Any idea on how much I might be able to get this for? See many GXE's, not many SE's. This is for my 18 yr old son.
     ALso, when buying used, shouldn't the primary factor be what the dealer paid for that trade as opposed to the average selling price?
    The SE I was looking at had 63K miles, is black and in good to very good overall condition (has nice alloy wheels, spoiler, roof...)

The asking was 9.9K and when I stopped negotiating, we were at 8.9K. The trade-in on this car is about 6.5-6.7K. My objective was, like you, to get the best price relative to what the dealer probably paid for the car. I figure he paid between 6 and 6.5K, so if he would give it to me for 8 - 8.5K, we would have a deal (I have a trade-in as well).

The problem is that TOO MANY car buyers get lured into the nice financing rates, even on used cars, so the dealer here figures someone will come along and grab this car for the 9.9K on the window. He's probably right. I wanted to do a cash deal, and he was just outside my comfort zone.

Who knows, maybe as the end of the month nears, he will be willing to go a little lower...
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Why should a dealer make 2000-$2500 on a used car? This is much more than they make on a new one. Wouln't $500 markup be resonable on most used cars? Also, why would anyone pay full sticker on a used car. Just some thoughts.
    Exactly, they shouldn't make that kind of money on a used car!

They always throw all kinds of stuff your way about how they "checked" the vehicle and added this or replaced that. The truth is, only one dealer I went to would show me a shop bill for what was done to a used car they brought in. So when they say "our shop bills for refurbishing this vehicle are 1.5K", ask them politely if you can see them. I'll bet they change the subject quickly.

Essentially, you should be TRYING to reach a price that equals what the dealer paid for the car (let's say 6K, although they will never show you/tell you) + what they put into it (let's say $500 because it needed "nice" tires and an oil change) + warranty (in this case 3 months, 3K miles so that is a big fat ZERO) + dealer profit (let's use your $500 example). Some certified used cars (like some Hondas I have seen) offer a 7yr 100K mile warranty...I might be willing to pay $500 for somehting like that, depending on the details of the warranty.

So, using the example above you get 7K. Now this is about 2-3K less than the "retail". So you can see that my offer of 8-8.5K was 1-1.5K higher than the 7K the car might really be worth, so why wouldn't they deal?

I go back to what I said before, the higher the price (or difference betwen your trade and their car's price), the more likely someone will finance it... and if they finance it, the dealers usually get money for those finance contracts (not sure how much), so financing is better for them. And if the car is sporty looking and in great shape, the longer they will hold out for the dad or mom that wants to buy the car for their son or daughter. Because they know dad will think $200-250 a month is affordable.

Now, if EVERYBODY knew enough about the values of the vehicles (and people didn't walk in saying "I need a monthly payment of $250 or less"), we could all get better deals! But since there are enough people who walk in and say that (I used to be one of them!), the dealer takes the gamble that eventually someone will do just that.

Also, if you have a trade-in, they will sometimes tell you they are giving you more money for your car than they should. From what I have learned, you trade is worth X...and X is what they determine from looking at auction values. So, if they say your car is worth 4.5K on the first offer, then later come back and say we have bumped up your trade to 5K, what they are really doing is lowering the asking price for their vehicle.
  • manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    I live in Austin, Texas and the going rate for purchasing a used Protege with 50K miles from a private party is about $5000. I know because I was recently looking for one for my father-in-law.
    Nobody's driving or buying Altimas?

I saw the O5 for the first time Saturday and was impressed with the upgraded interior. The materials quality still falls short of the Camcords, but it looks much better.

Unfortunately, about 90 percent of what is on the lots in Central Florida are strippers that look like they belong in rent-a-car fleets. It's almost impossible to find an Altima equipped with ABS and curtains.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    I think the 2005's materials are fine, the Camry is as dull as a freezer, the Accord looks like a 91 Buick Regal.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Other than the new interior, there isn't much to talk about. At my local dealers, there are 7 or 8 2.5s for every 3.5. Apparently that's what people are buying.
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    No surprise here, consedering a fully loaded 3.5 runs close to 30k which is a different class territory.
    And most driving enthusiasts would prefer to have all this blazing power in a rear wheel driver( a must for me ).
  • harddrivetharddrivet Member Posts: 90
    Hey the Altima looks like a nice car, but I won't buy it because it does not have traction control. I have a 98 Pontiac Gran Prix that has traction control and that sure comes in handy in the new england weather. I have 112,000 on my Pontiac Gran Prix and it still looks and runs good. I expect at some point it is going to become a money pit for maintenance. I will most likely keep my Pontiac Gran Prix until a more comparable car comes along that has a fair price, and yes it must have Traction Control. Perhaps the Altima will add this feature in a future model.
    TC is available on the 3.5s - both SE and SL.

3.5SE 3.5SL:

"Traction Control System (TCS) [T] [T]
    <snip>
     [T] Part of TCS and Side Air Bag Option "

- From Nissan USA web site.
    Cheers,
    - Ray
    Understanding why TC is very desireable on a relatively powerful FWD vehicle . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • nissanfannissanfan Member Posts: 15
    Hi!

I read on the Nissan website that a 5 speed automatic with manual shift feature is available as an option on the 3.5SE and standard on the 3.5SL. Yet, when I tried to configure a 3.5SE on the website, when I got to the choosing drivetrain section, I clicked on the automatic transmission information link and it stated it as a four speed. What gives? Is it offered or not? If it is offered, is it offered standard on SL, and optional on SE, yet for the four cylinder versions it is still 4 speed? Thanks!
    Are you sure you checked the V6 and not the I4? The 5 speed auto is available only for the v6 and not the 4. The 4 cylinder still has the 4 speed auto.
  • veunadveunad Member Posts: 1
    Good Afternoon folks,

I have a question/scenario to run by some of you.

I have a 1997 Nissan Altima GXE (96XXX miles). I have no complaints with the vehicle (Other than gas prices :)). The Service Engine Soon (SES) light came on, and I brought it into the dealer&#146;s service dept. for service.

They stated, &#147;It is not something that will leave you stranded on the side of the road.&#148; Cleared the error message and on the invoice flagged it as an invalid code. Charged me $85.00 smackers.

However, about a week later guess what happened? Needless to say the SES light is back on. I drive about 72 miles round trip, so I have concerns about an item that may need to be replaced, before causing additional issues, or even worse causing me to burn more gasoline than needed.

The code for that is,

P0475 &#150; Line Pressure Solenoid Valve

My questions are,

1. Where/What does this error code equate to? (E.g. Fuel Line, Transmission, Oil, etc.)
    2. Is this something that should be &#147;ignored&#148; as was implied by the Nissan technicians?
    3. Could a dirty air filter cause this? I have a premium air filter, which I cleaned just this weekend, but since the error code is logged, I cannot see if that was the problem. I&#146;m looking into possibly clearing the code manually and seeing if it returns, but thought I would check some forums first.
    4. Any other thoughts or ideas?

Thanks in advance for any information.
    You might get more responses if you post over at the Altima problems board.
This discussion has been closed.