Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Something for future reference: Autozone will read your code for free. I would ask the Nissan dealer for a quote on the repair. That should help you make an intelligent decision.

The site below gives OBD II code descriptions. It says:
    P0475 Exhaust Pressure Control Valve Malfunction

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/l/bl_obd_4.htm
  • sd_texansd_texan Member Posts: 1
    I just bought one last week and I love it! It's such a sleek design inside and out and really jumps on to the highway. The only thing that bothers me just a bit is that the road noise is a bit loud at higher speeds.

It's my first new car since 1991, so I'm really happy.

Hope you'll consider one!
  • jfp1955jfp1955 Member Posts: 3
    I was just doing research on Edmunds on the 2005 3.5 SE. It said that it requires Premium fuel. Can anyone confirm that for me? What does your owners manual say?

JP
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    I did consider one very carefully over the Memorial Day weekend. Beautiful cars, surprising amount of torque even in the 4. But, I think I'll be happier with a Mazda 6. Like the Altima, it's fun to drive, and I like its interior a little more. You really can't go wrong with either car. Good Luck with yours!
  • gbd21gbd21 Member Posts: 53
    sd texan.
    Congrats.I am considering one too.A 3.5 SL.
    Which one did you buy?
    Road noise can be reduced by changing tires over to Bridgestone Turanza LS-H.
    Which one did it come with. Please let me know, so that I can avoid it.
  • dat2dat2 Member Posts: 251
    Hey,

Anyone know if the new 05 altima has an improved 5-speed shifter, especially for the 3.5 V6 model???

The previous iterations had a notoriously bad 5 speed stick. I would shop the 05 if the stick was known to be any better. Thanks!!
  • jfp1955jfp1955 Member Posts: 3
    Just picked up a 2005 Altima SE 3.5. Traded the wife's Pathfinder. Had an excellent experience with Autoway Nissan of Brandon FL. The car is great! Wonderful power and torque. Excellent handling. Only question is, how do I get my wife to let me drive it????
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Nissan recommends premium fuel "for best performance," but does not require it.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    >>>how do I get my wife to let me drive it???? <<<

Buy a new one for her, and offer to take her old one... :)
  • vmaturovmaturo Member Posts: 71
    >>>Had an excellent experience with Autoway Nissan of Brandon FL.<<<

And Manny Vargas is a great Service Rep! I've dealt with him for many years. Way back when he was at Nissan on Fletcher Ave. Never sold me something I didn't need for my Maxima.
  • joanne2joanne2 Member Posts: 1
    Trying to purchase a Altima 3.5 SL, vin is listed as an SE, insurance companies (several) wont budge. Dealer sweating me on the purchase tells me no big deal. Love the car, but don't feel comfortable buying it until info is corrected. Any ideas feed back?
    Ask them what in the VIN makes it an SE instead of an SL. From what I've seen of VINs, they don't get that specific. Look at a 2.5S, an SL, and an SE. The only difference in the first 8 characters is character #4 which is A for the 2.5 and B for the 3.5.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Maybe their computers are out of date and 3.5 automatically means SE to them. There was no V6 SL until this year.
    Engine probably matters more in calculating rates than trim package anyway.
  • miagarfuncklemiagarfunckle Member Posts: 51
    I have a 2003 2.5s and I live in Arizona and a/c is always on and mostly city driving stop and go and have an auto. My best tank in town has been 22.5 with some freeway in there and my worst 20. Does this seem normal. Also my best tank ever on highway and freeway mixed has beeen 27.5 in 105+ temps with a/c going the whole way and average speed of 75 or so. What are others getting with the 4 cylinder and automatic
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    but I still love the car overall....

I just wish Nissan would get there act together on the fuel economy of the I4. It has some good power though
  • gjeangjean Member Posts: 3
    I keep track of all the fuel for my 2.5S 2004 Altima and am very happy with the mileage. The vehicle only has a little over 7000 miles on it so the mileage has not stabilized. To date the worst mileage per tank has been 25.47 MPG; the best has been 31.07 MPG with an overall average of 28.38 MPG since I purchased it. May want to either change your driving habits or have the dealer check it out.
  • miagarfuncklemiagarfunckle Member Posts: 51
    Do you live in a flat area. What part of the country are you from? In Arizona I have so far only had the car when it has been hot over 90 at the very least so a/c going all the time and my car is an auto. Probably when the a/c is off or the temps come down to the usual 65-75 that we have down here I will get more like what you get. All cars in Az get less then other parts of the country due to the heat.
  • gjeangjean Member Posts: 3
    Yea, Arizona might make a difference. I live in Louisiana but drive frequently to Texas, Mississippi and Arkansas. Those states are not as flat as LA but not like Arizona. Over half of my driving is interstate with cruise set around 73 MPH. And yes, the air conditioner is used all the time. Hope your mileage gets better, with gas prices as high as they are every little bit helps. Keep an eye on the tire pressure, low pressure eats tires and gas. I also use Mobil 1 oil and this helps. My gas mileage improved over 1 MPG since I switched at 5000 miles.
    Full of hills and what not. My trip computer says 24.9 all the time...No matter where I drive it.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    who bought or currently looking for a New Altima considering the Pontiac G6 too, I am wondering if you feel they are compeitors, i know the G^ will not have Xenon or Nav, but its got a 3.9L with 240 hp and big torque down low with DOD to counter the VVT in the altima.

Is anyone considering test driving the two side by side? You know, with the incentives sure to come out, meybe its worth looking at.

I just wanted to know what you thought of the Altima, relating to the new Pontiac, thanks.
    Like you, I am interested in the G6, but I don't think the 240 hp version will be out until later in the model year.

I wouldn't count on huge incentives right away, either.

The "old-tech" V6 in the Pontiac does make a ton of low-end torque, which is great, and it should get excellent gas mileage based on what it does in the Chevy Malibu.

The Altima's V-6 is no question the better overall engine, though. But, the SE and SL V-6 Altimas do run pretty high up the price chart, and that's where Pontiac may steal some Altima sales.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    An Altima V6 is for $23,100 base. The G6 GT with only 200 hp (but Malibu fuel economy) will be about that.

Are Nissan dealers price-inflating?

BTW is anyone interested in the G6 coup and hard-top(!) convertable??? I wonder if Nissan will offer something like that, and basically would it make you trade your altima for a pontiac, or the other way around?

So is the Altima a really good car, i mean compared to the cars you had before???
    Consider that the $24K base price (about the cheapest you can get one for after destination) for the V-6 Altima does not include anti-lock brakes, side airbags, a sunroof or any luxury upgrades you may be interested in. That's how the Altima can climb to over $30K.

Not so interested in a coupe, but a G-6 or Altima convertible would rock.
    But the interior is SUB-PAR IMO...

The interior was the reason I didn't buy an 02-04 ALtima...if the 05 hadn't gotten a new interior, I would have bought an Accord.

But the new G6 should give Nissan a run for the money though.

It is damn nice looking and looks a lot like the current Altima
  • samjacksamjack Member Posts: 1
    My 1996 Altima GXE which until recently used to give me 300 miles per tankful recently dropped to roughly about 200 to 210 miles per tankful while driving in the city. I fill about 12 gallons per tank.

I have couple hundred dollars wasted with the dealer so far having them check my car with zero result and a standard answer 'no issues' with the recommendation that I am free to check with a different dealer.

Any suggestion before I loose more?The car just has 45 K miles and is sparingly used with timely maintenance. Appreciate your help.
    I suspect carbon buildup due to incomplete combustion from short city trips. Try running some fuel injector cleaner through the next fill-up. It would also help to take the car on a nice long drive (30 minutes or more) on the highway in a lower gear (probably second gear). The second part is known as the Italian tuneup.
  • ladylookinladylookin Member Posts: 1
    I think that the car salesman was trying to give me some crap. I went to test the drive the 2005 altima 3.5SL, and I noticed that the dealership has installed some additional things: alarm system, pinstripes, and some other junk. I asked the salesman why the dealership installed an alarm system when the car already has one. He replied "the factory alarm system only unlocks and locks the doors". Now maybe I'm wrong but I assume that any basic alarm system does more than lock and unlock doors, otherwise it would be called remote unlock/lock feature. What is the functionality of the factory alarm system on this car? Is it a pretty good system?

Also, how do I handle dealers that install other stuff? I DO NOT want any extra stuff. Should I tell them take the stuff and then I buy? Or should say I will buy it but since I don't wanted I will not pay for that stuff, or I will pay a much cheaper price. By the way, that extra stuff came up to $1000, I know that the alarm system and pinstripes can be purchased cheaper than that!!
    From the Nissan website Altima section:

"Vehicle Security System

The Vehicle Security System flashes the headlights and sounds the horn if there's any attempt to open the doors or hood without a key, or remove key cylinders. You can also push the panic button on the keyfob to sound the alarm for 20 seconds."

Looks like an alarm system to me. Your dealer is just trying to line his pockets with your hard earned cash.
    They might order you a car without the dealer added stuff, but when I see a lot full of cars with dealer added spoilers, pinstripes, mop-n-glow, and alarms, I write them off and find another dealer. Life's too short!
  • jabatajabata Member Posts: 14
    my Altima 97 has a button that disables the O/D (overdrive. I am wondering if in city driving that will help for better millage .
    It won't hurt to try, but if the transmission is electronically controlled, it probably won't help your mileage. If it's working properly it won't upshift until it needs to, and if you press on the gas it will downshift for better acceleration.
  • kris10kris10 Member Posts: 21
    I am currently looking to purchase a new car. I'm looking at 2004's and hoping to get a good deal on one. I have done a lot of research and have narrowed it down to 4. I want a car that is comfortable, safe, gets good gas mileage, powerful, quiet, looks nice, and drives well. I was hoping you all could give some much appreciated advice/feedback and if you have/had one of the cars listed below, how much you paid for it and likes/dislikes/problems! I have it narrowed down to:

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2
    2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS
    2004 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE
    2004 Toyota Camry LE V6

I have only driven the GT2. I plan on test driving the others very soon.

Thanks!
    Kristen
    How long are you planning to keep the car? If less than 5 years, then you'll get killed on the depreciation with the Malibu and Grand Prix. The Japanese brands are likely to have better long term reliability also. Nothing really wrong with any of them. It all depends on which one you like the best.
  • kris10kris10 Member Posts: 21
    I plan on keeping the car at least 5 years, if not longer.

Thanks!
    Kristen
    They are GONE...the 05s came out in like February. I got my 05 in March.
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    Both Accord and Camry have ABS and side airbags standard, Altima is cheaping out on the ABS, and side airbags.

For safety's sake, don't buy Altima
    but only the Accord makes Side airbags and curtains standard, for MY 05 anyway.

And it is true, it is EXTREMELY hard to find an Altima with ABS/SAB.

It should DEFINATELY be standard.
    ...and the lack of them would have been a deal-breaker. Wish they would add stability control.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,282
    I have a 2003 2.5S with just under 16k. It's recently developed a problem where the engine emits a squeaking noise on first start up in the morning. The sound is definitely coming from the front of the engine. As the car warms up, the squeaking quiets down but I am not sure if it goes away all together. I haven't noticed any degradation in engine performance.

Since it's summer, the car is not getting overly cold so I'm worried that something may not be getting lubricated correctly. Has anyone encountered this problem or heard about a TSB on this?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
    See my reply in the "Problems and solutions" topic.
  • caedward2caedward2 Member Posts: 45
    I'm currently having a problem with my 2005 (2.5) engine. Occasionally, when pulling away from a stop (under part to moderate throttle) the engine will hesitate substantially. Has anyone else had this problem? I will take it to the dealer soon for its first oil change and will inquire then. Thanks in advance.
  • aitchpee44aitchpee44 Member Posts: 16
    Does anybody know when the 2006 models of the Nisson Altima will be on the market? The 2005's came out in March 2004 so does that mean that the 2006's will come out in March 2005? Do you think they will have side curtain airbags as standard like the 2005 Honda Accord?
    Thanks
    HP
    I doubt the 06 models will be out earlier than normal (September 05). I think the 05 was introduced early because it was an upgrade that addressed criticisms leveled at the 02-04 models.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    TONIGHT - 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET
    Get LIVE feedback on your maintenance or repair problems. Join our guest experts alcan, 0patience, and mr_shiftright as they tackle your fix-it questions!

• bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    just like the 2005 models in the maxima, the 2006 altimas wont arrive till fall of 2005.
  • 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    Friends,

I have a 2000 Nissan Altima GXE with 89k miles, on it. I am fast approaching the 90k mile service, and most dealers are asking between $400-500 for this. I feel its too expensive, and would appreciate if any of you could suggest an alternative.

Another option is that I go in for the necessary replacements only, like tranny oil change, coolant flush etc. Do any of you know what parts like PCV etc need to be changed at this serivce? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Since you are well out of warranty, no reason to do everything the dealer wants to do. In fact, many dealers do things that aren't in the owner's manual. I think you have it right, do the big things and anything emissions related (like the PCV if called for).
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,282
    The dealer services are way beyond what is actually recommended. The always include overpriced line items for things like "check brakes" and "check boots". I just recently had my 2003 in the dealer and he pitched me a 15,000 mile service for $299. Even the 7,500 mile service was about $149 for what amounted to an oil change and tire rotation and about 1000 checks that any decent shop will do for free. If I wanted to drop that much money that regularly, I would have bought a used car.

Find the maintenance schedule on this site and bring it to a reputable local shop. Replace whatever is called for and ask them to do the "once over".
  • 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    Thanks for the advice, that's what I will do.
  • aitchpee44aitchpee44 Member Posts: 16
    Does the 4 cylinder engine have a timing belt or a timing chain?
    Thanks-HP
This discussion has been closed.