Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• cncmancncman Member Posts: 487
    I think you are arguing a different point, I have already said and agreed that most people shop the maxima VS the camcords, I have never said they did not. I do not care what people compare with or what edmunds compares with, if you want to follow the herd, go ahead. Look up the word compare, it means "to consider as similar, equal or analgous"

Again, for the umpteenth time, let me repeat what I am saying and then I am going to leave this alone, and we can all talk about the new vehicles,

It is more reasonable to compare a 155hp 4 cylinder car with 94cft of space to a
    150hp 4 cylinder car with 96.9cft of space than to compare a 96.9cft 150hp 4
    cylinder to a 102.5cft 222hp V6 car.

The altima is a more COMPARABLE car to the camcord 4cylinders than the 4cylinder camcords are to the maxima, numbers don't lie! There is no way you can logically disagree with this.
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    I totally agree with what you are saying but I have no clue what wenyue is getting at here... I think it all started when I simply said that the Maxima outsells the V6 Camry and Accord models and that Maxima is priced and equipped closer to the V6 Camcords than the 4 cylinder Camcords. Just let wenyue think whatever he wants and leave it at that (afterall, his argument now seems to be based on the automated edmunds "alternatives" list... give me a break!).

Also, what is the difference if Nissan priced a fully loaded Altima SE V6 at 26K or 25K? The fact is that people will be attracted by its base price (which would probably be around 22K). A fully loaded Altima will have many features that the Accords do not have. Just going by the pricing of the Maximas (which has always been higher than the Accord and Camry V6 models), I think it's clear that Nissan isn't going to shy away with their prices when they know they have a good car put out. Reliability? Maximas are just as reliable as an Accord these days and their resale values have been comparable... there is no doubt that the Altima will do just as well (after it gets over the new model kinks). This is an all new car -- you can't simply put a stamp on it and say... since the old Altima sucked, this car will too.
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    I'm simply disagreeing when har1bush stated that the current Altima one the market is a competior for the Accord/Camry 4.

That's simply not true. And anyone who has any feel for the market knows that's not true. And I bought on Edmunds' and other authoritative automotive to strengthen my point, and made it completely clear. NONE of those automotive experts, (me, you, har1bush doesn't count as automotive experts), consider the Altima to be a competing model for the Camcorder.

And for the last time: the current ALTIMA IS NOT a competitor for the Accord/Camry 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder. Only the Maxima is the Accord/Camry competitor, and the fact that Maxima has only V6 does not change the fact that it stands competes agains the whole Accord/Camry line up.

I agree numbers don't lie. But neither does the market analysis. It's quite plain and clear. And there is no way you can logically or realistically disagree with me on this.
    I'm still yet to see you back up your statment that the Altima is a competitor for the Accord/Camry. I have edmund's, an authoritative source supporting my claim. How about backing yourself up with other than just personal claims.

"afterall, his argument now seems to be based on the automated edmunds "alternatives" list... give me a break!)."

Hmm... automated. Care to back up another one of your claims? Or are you just make things up without any evidence? Maybe I should give you a break instead? Let's see, should I take your words for the truth or Edmund's.... Tough decision there.

I said the Altima needs to price it self lower than the Accord to be certain of coming out winning. And that's based on past experience when an underdog car try to upset the market leader (Lexus LS400, Acura TL). Not only did they offer more of a car (which the new Altima is), but they also had to offer a lower price (what at $26K like you suggest, won't).

This is of course, a point of contension that won't be resolved until the car has hit the market. And this, I can agree to disagree. And for all we know, Nissan probably will be smart enough not to price the car higher than a loaded Accord ($25K).
    "I agree numbers don't lie. But neither does the market analysis. It's quite plain and clear. And there is no way you can logically or realistically disagree with me on this."

WE ARE ARGUING TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!, market research has nothing to do with size and horsepower. let's make it easy,
    You are saying that most people that cross-shop camcords compare with the maxima not the altima, I'm not denying this. You win! Point taken! No problem! Now slow down and listen, You can compare two things that are dissimilar, but two disimilar things are not comparable by definition. A 4cylinder camcord is not COMPARABLE to a maxima in anything other than the fact that they are all darn fine japanese sedans and no reasonable person would suggest this, they are not comparable in size, power, engine etc. In this case the altima is a more COMPARABLE vehicle to 4 cylinder camcords. I understand what you are saying, why can't you catch on to what I am saying so we can all move on and stop taking up space talking about vehicles that aren't going to be around anymore?
  • kartezkartez Member Posts: 48
    Why don't you guys checkout the Nissan website and see if Nissan compares Altima with Camcord.
    cncman:

Anyway. I'm glad that you agree with my point. Good.

While I would still disagree that Altima is more comparable to the camcord (midsize car vs compact, "almost" being able to seat 5, just doesn't make it comparable to a midsize car), but I also grow tired of all this debate. I do believe that everyone has had a good view of both sides of the arguement.

Let's move on, if you still wish.
    Now, before anyone gets the impression that I'm a CamCorder lover, I just want to say that I don't own either one of those vehicles. My parents had a Camry, but not I.

I am on the market for a family car, just as the next guy. Planning on getting a new one late this year or first half of next year. And certaintly, the info on 2002 Altima has peaked my interst.

Now back to the old topic before the debate about the current Altima interrepted it. How much would the 2002 Altima is likely to cost? How much do you, fellow car shoppers/buyers/owners, based up your feel for the market, think it should cost to hit the "sweet spot"?

I would say that the 3.5 SE should top out at no more than $25K MSRP, no more than then Honda Accord. And preferablly, I would hope it would be more like $24K MSRP, to desolve some of the concerns over Nissan's resale value and lower gas milage. What do you all say?
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I would say $26,500 will get you everything on a SE.

Leather
    Moon roof
    Bose
    Automatic Transmission (people lets get back to 5-speeds)
    Climate control
    Traction Control
    HID Head lamps

I am hoping to get a SE with for $24,000 ($21,800 invoice + 4% over) with the following equipment.

5-speed
    cloth interior
    Moon roof
    Option package that includes Bose radio.
    Standard head lamps
    rear spoiler
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    IMO, the pre 2002 Altima competed directly against the 4cylinder versions of the Camry and Accord and the Maxima took on the V6s. Don't tell me prospective buyers of the Camry LE and Accord LX didn't cross shop the Altima GXE/GLE.
    As for press comparisons, one need not look any further than the Sept 99 of Car and Driver issue to find the 4cly Altima, Camry and Accord pitted against each other (and others) or the July 98 issue to see the Maxima, Camry V6, and Accord V6 face off.

But with the new Altima and updated Maxima, I think most consumers are going to be baffled as to which car they are supposed to be looking at in the midsize family field. Its not as clear cut a difference as with the Camry and Avalon, IMO, for instance. I wonder just how well this strategy (or lack thereof) is going to work for Nissan.
    ~alpha
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    If you think that the Maxima V6 rather it be GXE, SE, or GLE is comparable with a base line Camcord I4, how can you say that WE cannot compare an Altima to a Camcord. I recall Car and Driver having a comparison with the Galant, Altima, Camry, and Accord back some time last year I believe. The Accord was at one time a compact car don't you know, back from 1990 until 1997(4 and 5 generation models) yet the Accord was still compared with the Camry, and at some times sold more than the Camry, so if you are saying that the Altima, given it's current size is not comparable with I4 Camrys and Accords you are simply wrong.

Also, why would Nissan offer the Maxima with a 4 cylinder engine, the Maxima has always had a 6 cylinder I6 in the first generation. The Maxima is a slight step above the Camcords, it offers more, and is most times more sporty and luxurious(SE and GLE anyway.)

Motortrend's October or November 2000 issue had a comparison between the Maxima GXE, Camry LEV6 and Accord EXV6.
    Look around in the car market. See how often Altima comes up on the same shopping list as Accord/Camry (4 cylinders even), then you know what I'm talking about.

Accord/Camry is designed from the start to seat 5, haul a family of 2 adults and 3 kids -- hence the "family car" title they become known for.

Altima (until 2002 model), has only been designed to carry 4, it can almost carry 5 packed tight, but can't really cut it (close but no cigar). Due to this, it's never been in the same class, commonly do not share the same shopping list.

For example, I actually consided the Altima when I was looking for a COMPACT car for my wife few years ago. But ended up settling for the Mazda Protege, since it was roomier than the Altima still. But now that I'm looking for a family car, I didn't even consider the 2002 Altima until news leaked out that it was becoming bigger than the Camrcorders.

The car market falls into differe segments/catagories. And Altima falls into the intermediate catagor of large compacts. Larger than many of the smaller compacts, but not large enough to compete for the same role as the Camcorders.

Same reason why Maxima is in the same class as the Accord/Camrys. And while it's on the large end of the midsize cars, it's not a full size car. Why? Because it isn't designed like the Ford Crown Victoria/Toyota Avalon to seat 6 people. Hence it doesn't compete directly against them.

Most car buyers shop with a set of goals they need to achieve. They want to haul an typical american family (2 adults and 2.5 kids), they shoot for the midsize, not something smaller. If they want a highway cruiser, they go looking for a fullsize, not something other than that.

That's why Altima doesn't directly compete with the Camry/Accord -- it simply can't fulfill the roles the latters can.

That's why the Altima didn't appear on my midsize car shopping list until now. Now, the 2002 Altima finally has the ability to actually compete as a midsize car. Simple? I hope that ends it.
    ...but I still cannot see where the Accord and Camry I4 compete with the Maxima, actually, the Avalon is only slightly larger than the Maxima I believe, it is really not as big as the LeSabre and Crown Vic, but it is a full size car. The Altima is doing exactly what Honda did back in 1998, back before then, the Accord was a large compact(like the current Altima is now) but for 1998 it finally became a midsize car, but it was still compared with the Camry, which has been a midsize car for a while now, I have seen people cross shop from the Camcords to the Altima. The Altima was usually choosen if people could not afford the Camcords, but I still think that the Altima is somewhat a competitor to the I4 Camrcords, but the Maxima is not IMO, it competes with the high end Camcords.

Maxima competes with:
    GXE: Accord LXV6/Camry LEV6
    SE: None of them really
    GLE: Accord EXV6/Camry XLEV6

Also, the Passat is a compact car, would you say it doesn't compete with the Accord and Camry, even though Edmunds.com did a review of the Passat, Maxima, Accord and many others. The Passat might be smaller than the Camcords in dimensions, but in real life seating, it actually feels roomier.
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    Okay first of all as maxamillion said the Altima has been in comparisons against 4 cylinder Camrys/Accords. There was one a year or so ago title was something like "Cicada" or something. The one where the Mitsubishi Galant beat the Accord. Anyway the Altima ended up in the middle of the pack.

If I had to put the Altima up against cars in the same size class I'd say the Chevy Malibu, Mitsubishi Galant, VW jetta, etc. But price wise the Altima IS up against 4 cylinder camcords. People that consider Maxima's dont want 4 cylinder engines, we didnt. When I stopped by my Nissan dealership the other weekend a salesman was showing a Maxima to a woman boasting of the V6 and she said "The thing is, I don't care about the V6. I'm fine with 4 cylinders". She then went on to ask about the Altima. V6 Maximas and 4 cylinder Accords/Camrys don't compare, pricewise, performance wise, blah blah. The only thing they're comparable on is size.

Nissan has said that the Maxima's main competitors are the Acura TL, Toyota Avalon, etc. (from Autoweek magazine). Which sorta makes the I30 redundant..but i agree with them. The way I see it, the base Maxima GXE is up against better equipped Accord/Camry 4 cylinders or base V6s. Maxima SE is up against the Grand Prix GTP, Acura TL-S, etc. Maxima GLE up against high end V6 Camcords, Acura TL, I30 (go figure!), etc.

Offering a 4 cylinder in the Maxima would be an insult to the name. How can a flagship have a 4 cylinder?!
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    The last time I bought an Accord, I did not bother looking at the Camtimas because the Camry was so boring inside and out and the Altima as so ugly and I wanted a V6 anyway. The Maxima was too expensive.
    Now the Camry and Altima will be something to look at especially since the Accord design is aging.
    Both look good for what they are. The Altima will be sporty and for the people who are disappointed that there is no 3.5 SL so they can have all the luxuries and softer, quieter ride of the SL as well as the power of the V6, will go buy a 2002 Camry LE or XLE V6 instead.
    People who are disappointed in any potential cheap plastic interior of the new Altima, will also go to the Camry since the rumor is that Toyota is going to undo some of the decontenting of the Camry that started with the 97 model.
    The 97 Accord also puzzled me. It wasn't big enough to really fill the role of a family car. The only explaination I have is that it was selling by repuatation alone. It lacked a V6, it lacked room. It wasn't really a competitor for the Camry. But it sold well... I guess people just bought into the Honda's myth.

"I have seen people cross shop from the Camcords to the Altima."

Yes, that's the exception rather than the norm. THere will always be exceptions, but the number isn't really large enough to matter.

"The Altima was usually choosen if people could not afford the Camcords"

Well, if you don't have the money, then you have to settle for something less, smaller, cheaper. Isn't that standard fare in the world?

We then differ on one point only. You consider the Maxima to only compete against V6 camcorders, while I consider it competes against both the V6 and I4.

You are basing your opinion on the fact that Maxima only has V6 engine, while Accord and Camry has also I4 versions available.

While I'm basing my opinion on the fact that the Maxima is the only Nissan car that's in the same class as both the I4 and V6 camcords.

P.S:

Also, the Passat is classified as a midsize. It's designed to seat 5, and it is classified by EPA accordingly as a midsize.
    You said you would put the Altima in the same class as the Chevy Malibu. My sentement exactly. It's a large compact. But not typically considered a midsize/family car, like the Accord/Camry I4.

Price wise, the a loaded Altima can go into the territory of the low end camcords. But that's natual since there is always some over lap between the ends of the 2n different classes.
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    as Kartez mentioned (and I was checking nissan driven right before seeing his/her post), check NissanDriven... http://compare.nissandriven.com/comparison.asp#nissan

what does it list as competitors to the GXE auto Alty?

Camry, Accord, 626, Jetta, Galant.

And those where the cars I was looking at when I was looking to buy mine, except the Camry. Don't want Toyota.

Also, Carpoint compares the Alty to: (longer list) Passat???, Camry, Legacy, SaturnLS, GrandAm, Ply Breeze, Alero, Galant, Mystique ,626, Sonato, Accord, Leganza, Countor, Stratus, and Malibu.

and the IIHS compares the ALty to other midsize inexpensives such as, Cavalier, Malibu, cirrus.stratus/breeze, leganza, contour/mystique, accord, sonata,626, galant, grandAm/Alero, Saturn L, Legacy, Camry,

Ok, so why do I get the impression that I have just about everyone who checks this post agreeing with me, while you are on your own? I guess the rest of the world is an idiot except you. BTW Good job backing up your statements with some true hardcore facts -- would you like mommy to give you a little star now?
  • tcpip1tcpip1 Member Posts: 121
    Who cares about whether the previous generations of Altima's compete with Accord/Camry. We all know now that Nissan wants the '02 Altima to compete with the Accord/Camry, right?
    According to my Consumer Guide the Malibu is a midsize, but they say that the Passat is a compact, I could be wrong. Either way, I am through talking about the 1998-2001 Altima, I am more interested in what info people are getting on the new Altima, anything new?

BTW, I brought the latest issue of Automobile Magazine, to my surpise, the Altima's exterior was the 3.5SE, but the interior was of the 2.5S with cloth, which didn't look all that good, kind of like the cloth in the GXE Maxima. But I could live with it. The shifter looks nice, I am definately getting the 5 speed. I don't understand the review that well, all they seem to do is harp on the styling, one minute they call it "handsome" then they turn around and call it "derivative and bland" I just wish they would make up there minds. Styling on the new Altima is beyond any Nissan lately IMO, besting the current Maxima, Altima and Sentra. Although I still like the 1 generation Altima the best. Definately going to buy this car, I CAN'T WAIT!!!
  • himomerhimomer Member Posts: 59
    Altima's exterior was the 3.5SE, but the interior was of the 2.5S with cloth

that was the exact thing that kinda confused me last week but then i clicked. I wonder how the SE Sport V-6 Camry will do when compared to the 3.5SE
    no way the new Camry SE will come close to the Altima SE... I dont think Toyota has the guts to mess with their bread and butter sedan to make it more "sporty" as opposed to Nissan, which has always put out cars with the driver in mind first(although accomodations for the passengers are well thought out as well). Plus, the Camry will probably sport the strut suspensions front and back with 16" wheels -- the Altima will have Q45/Skyline-ish suspension and 17 inchers. Of course, the Altima also has the engine putting out much more power. I think it's just a matter of whether Nissan cut back a bit on refinement compared to the Camry.
    Hahah, nice try. Even your little failed effort at humor can't change the hard fact that the current Altima is in a different class than the Camry/Accord.

If you think the rest of the world is with you, you better take another look around you. Seems to me, the rest of the world made it quite clear that they don't cross shop between the compact Altima and the midsize camrcords.

Well, I won't go down to the level of personal insults like you are. I rest assured knowing the reality of the market. You might not think so, but hey, you aren't the majority of the population. :)
    Passat is a midsize car. With a interior room of 95.5 cubic feet.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Go back and take a look at most of the discussion for the past 100 posts, and my reaction is "what difference does it make"? Who cares how the marketplace splits its perception of the Camry, Accord, Altima, and Maxima?

Nissan has an opinion, and has acted on it. No one is going to buy any of these cars because of some preconceived notion about what niche they fit in the automotive universe.

You drive, you compare, you make your choice. Give it a rest on the endless discussion about marketplace positioning and perceived strategic advantages. Methinks all of this is using bandwidth to no good purpose...
    Anyone remember I posted the fuel economy figures? Comments? This was a big sticking point not too long ago, with folks writing the altima off for have SUV like fuel economy.
    26 MPG for the 3.5 V6 is acceptable to me. It's much better than the 18 mpg Nissan first released. 28 mpg would have been ideal, but 26 mpg is within the range I find tolerable.
    Actually, not to start another argument, but Nissan never released the 18 figure, that was from an article, and noone has figured out if they misquoted or what, as early as last month, Nissan gave estimates very similar to the final numbers.
    The 18 mpg was released by Nissan when it was first shown at the autoshow. They stated that with the 20 gallon gas tank, the 3.5L V6 had a range of 360 miles. Of course, little math by reporters and journalists gave the 18 mpg figure.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    The paint process for the new Altima. If I have one complaint about my black Maxima it is the horrible paint quality. My car is only 2 years old and it scratches so easily it is ridiculus. Be warned, Nissan is known for crappy paint jobs especially in dark colored cars. I wish I would have known to stay away from the dark colors (now I know!). Thank god it's a lease so I don't have to live with the awful scratches.
    Umm, Wenyue,
    Actually, I know the article you are refering too, it was not written by Nissan, there was never an official press release from Nissan and it was never on their website quoting 18mpg or the math that gets you there. It seems that either the article misquoted or they were not talking to the right people. Nissan did not release EPA numbers until just a few days ago.

BTW, for the interests of marketing numbers, here's some cross shopping info, anyone can do what they want with it, but I think this is the first hard numbers I have seen anyone post in reference to this.

%of altima buyers that also shopped competitors,

10.22% Camry 4 cylinder
    9.02% Accord 4 cylinder
    2.52% Galant
    1.13% Mazda 626

% of maxima buyers that also shopped competitors,
    12.48% Toyota Camry V6
    4.96% Accord V6
    4.41% Toyota Avalon
    2.44% VW Passat V6

Source;
    Maritz second quarter combined study
    only one out of ten of Altima buyers considers Camry/Accords? It proves my point. Not much cross shopping between Altima and Camcords.

But I seem to have under estimated how much cross shopping that goes on between Maxima and Camcords. Only 12.5% of the Maxima buyers should consider Camr/cords? That's a bit odd. What's the percentage of cross shopping between Camry & Accord & Ford Taurus, the 3 sterotypical midsize car? It should probably in the high 70-80% range.
    All this discussion about these three cars and engine types is silly.

It will take 6-12 months to see how the new Altima competes with the Camry and Accord. All this speculation is a waste of time unless you work for one of these companies.

Lets talk about how much over invoice people are willing to pay. Next month we all will have seen and driven both cars and only then will opinions matter.
    Just curious.
    I thought you were the resident expert on marketing and what the people say, why aren't you familiar with the biggest automotive cross shopping survey out there? The way the survey is conducted, will show low percentages, it would be unusual to get something over say 20% or so. It does not include folks that just compared on the internet or magazines etc. What this shows is that the car most altima buyers that cross shopped compared with is the camry 4cylinder and second the accord 4cylinder, none was shopped more, the civics did not register nor did the protege. For the maxima, it shows that most maxima buyers who cross shopped comapred it with the camry V6 and second, the V6 accord, 4 cylinders did not register. you would never have something in the 70-80% range. So the people who are going to cross shop an altima are most likely to look at a 4cylinder accord/camry and the ones that cross shop the maxima are most likely to look at V6 camry/accords that is what can be drawn from the survey. And remember, like you said, marketing statistics don't lie.
  • rxeffectrxeffect Member Posts: 9
    I've seen pics of the new Altima and must say the styling is a bit too daring for the family sedan market. The exterior less so than the interior, I just think a lot of shoppers will shy away from the adverturous and go with the Accords and Camries. I personally kind of like it, but I've seen why people usually choose the Camcords - their interiors don't offend at all, and they are stylishly classy, if highly restrained. Most buyers of these cars are not willing to live with adventurous styling for years on end. The novelty fades fast.

I took a look at the Isuzu Axiom recently (just curious) and its styling is BOLD. The exterior was beautiful except for the grille, which was just insanely designed. The interior had ALL the good stuff (LCD screen, auto climate, power seats, leather, shiny trim) but the car missed the mark on so many things. The LCD screen was an annoying hue of orange, the seats were only 4 way adjustable and had no height adjustment, the leather was thin and unsubstantial, the leather and plastic was colored a strange shade of 'carrot" which they thought was tan. These are the details that Honda (MDX) and Toyota (RX) sweat that make their cars so much more appealing. Now, that's not to knock the Axiom - for its price, you certainly get more than a fair share of excellent features. But that's the dilemma that Nissan is facing with the Altima. Are people willing to live with daring styling that will be dated after a year in order to get a better price and more power? Or are they going to stay with the conservative Accord and Camry, knowing that their cars will be tasteful many years down the road, which translates to a higher resale value?

Like I said, the Altima is a promising car and will get a lot of buyers just as the original did after the Stanza was fading away. But looking long-term, the car will have to be revised if Nissan is looking to establish the Altima as a true competitor to the Accords and Camries.
    "The way the survey is conducted, will show low percentages, it would be unusual to get something over say 20% or so."

You are telling me that only 20% of the people would cross shop between Accord and Camry? I don't think you can ever come up with a low number like that.

I also never heard of that "largest crosshopping survey" you spoke. Sorry. J.D power, now I heard of that. Edmunds, I heard of that. Kelly's Blue Book, I heard of that too. But not the one you mentioned.
    I am curious how people who end up buying the Altima will calculate what is a fair price for this car.

Advantage dealer:

New design (2002)
    More hp 4 & 6 cylinder
    Initial supply

Advantage Buyer:

Honda & Toyota want your business too.
    Nissan wants to sell 190,000 units first year.
    Dealers will compete against each other.

Many ways to buy:

Get invoice price off web go in and haggle.
    Go through internet car buying service.
    Do your own fax blitz.
    Wait for hype is over and look for sale ads.

How much to pay?

Invoice + 4% 5% 6% 7%
    Pay Sticker

Depending how people will buy this car will tell me what I can expect to pay.
    http://www.maritz.com

JD power, Edmunds, KBB, have nothing to do with marketing, you keep making claims based on marketing information, the best thing to do is go to the biggest source and the only one that does cross-shopping surveys that I have ever heard of is Maritz, I really thought you implied you knew all about marketing and what the people want, but you have never heard of Maritz? And you really need to understand how the survey works and how they come up with the numbers, the more important thing is which is the most shopped and in which order, for the altima, the most shopped was the 4 cylinder camry's and accords, for the maxima it was V6 camrys and Accords. No other vehicle was compared more. Also don't forget to take into account repeat buyers, people that just saw what they want on the road and bought it, and the people that bought on a friend/family recommendation or because the dealer was close etc, etc.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    If you want a good deal and expect to get any great discount from brokers and Cardirect.com etc, I think you will need to at least wait one month after it first starts selling at the dealers.
    Fax blitzes and car buying services are not going to accomplish much in the first weeks. That will only be of value after the dealers have stock of the 2002 Altima sitting unsold on their lots for more than a few days.
    Either you want the thrill of getting it on the first day or the first week and pay the price, or you wait for the frenzy to die down before making your move.
    Well, when a new car comes out, if it's not seriously deficient in some areas (looks, performanc, price), it usually goes for MSRP for a while, as the initial rush buy happens. Then after a few months, the demands cools off, and meets up with the increasing supply, then the prices levels off.

Looking at the last Accord/Camry redsign, it pretty much turned out that way. Couple months of MSRP buying, then gradually comes down to the usual 3-5% over invoice.

All this is based on the assumption that the demand levels off, and the supply (manufacturing capability) is keeping pace with the demand. If the demand takes off (like Honda Odyssey), then MSRP buying will last a long while. But if the buyers don't like the design, and there is an over supply, then you will see heavy incentives by the automaker to move the vehicle (like Chevy Cavalier).

190,000 cars is definitly do-able as long as the price of the Altima isn't out rageous (when compared to the Accord/Camry crowd).

A large part of the question is how well the 2002 Toyota Camry will do, since they come out roughly the same time, and will also be heavily marketed. Honda Accord is being redesigned 12 months from now, and Honda VP has hinted that they will do more than 240 hp. So that will probably play a part sometimes down the road.

So I would say, expect to pay MSRP when the new Altima and Camry comes out. But chances are good that you will get a better deal by middle of the winter. Incidentally, winter is also typically the slow season for car shopping (as people are on vacation or too cold to bother with shopping). Dealers might be more willing to move the cars at a lower price then.
    I'm never claimed to be a marketing expert. Please quote me where I claimed that. If not, please don't put words in my mouth, thank you.

But I do have a fair feel for the car market. It doesn't take an expert to know that more than more than 20% of the Accord Camry buyers cross shop these 2 cars. And you still mean to tell me that 10% is more than one out of 10 people? Didn't you say numbers don't lie?

"JD power... have nothing to do with marketing".

This is why I think you need to double check your info. I needn't debate with you any further. I thought I remember that you said you wanted to stop.
    I am curious how people who end up buying the Altima will calculate what is a fair price for this car.

Advantage dealer:

New design (2002)
    More hp 4 & 6 cylinder
    Initial supply

Advantage Buyer:

Honda & Toyota want your business too.
    Nissan wants to sell 190,000 units first year.
    Dealers will compete against each other.

Many ways to buy:

Get invoice price off web go in and haggle.
    Go through internet car buying service.
    Do your own fax blitz.
    Wait for hype is over and look for sale ads.

How much to pay?

Invoice + 4% 5% 6% 7%
    Pay Sticker

Depending how people will buy this car will tell me what I can expect to pay.
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    considering prices aren't out yet, there shall be no hope of someone answering your question anytime soon.
    going to release the price anyway? I have all the info except that little piece.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...are unlikely to be released more than a couple of weeks, or even less, prior to rollout. And the latter date seems to keep moving...suffice to say that it won't be longer than another 3 weeks or so, especially if the rumor about an early release to beat the Camry is true.

I still say there is a lot of obsessing here that is just wasted energy - the prices will match the current Accord, model for model and feature for feature, within a couple of hundred bucks, more or less. After the initial arm-waving, the discounting will begin, and the market will find its natural level, within a few hundred $ of invoice just like everything else out there in this category. Relax, people.
This discussion has been closed.