Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Si / SiR 2005 and earlier

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    five-door - $1000 less than SI (sticker) when comparably equipped. And a real nice driver. The SI is tighter (handling) and smaller, two advantages in my mind. The Mazda has bigger rolling stock standard (hatch only of course) however.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    But they don't seem to effect acceleration much. The suspension mods make it handle like it's on rails though.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    What are 3s going for right now? Cause the Si is going $2500 under sticker or more in most places.

I would go with the Si, I like it better than the 5-door 3.
    went to $1400 under sticker on the SI when I was dealing on it with the intent to buy. He claimed that was $400 over invoice. I would have got him down to invoice (due to knowing of the Honda $500 incentive to dealers for Civic sales), but I decided to go with a different car. Still, that would have only been $1800 under sticker. The mazda dealer seemded to ready to go at $1000 under sticker without a second thought, so who knows how much he would have let it go for if I had actually started to deal with him for one.

Those are both '04 models I am referring to there. If there are any '03 SIs left out there in Hondaland, I am sure dealers would go much lower than that to get rid of them, particularly with the updates Honda made from the '03 to the '04 SI.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I was in the same boat last year. I test drove the regular Matrix and Vibe GT (same as Matrix XRS) but the $20,000 sticker kind of scared me off. The engine in the GT/XRS needs to be revved high, like in the Civics of yore. The Si was perfect for my needs. I don't carry passengers often and the engine pulls from 2000 RPM. The shifter in the Si feels more direct and crisper than the rubbery shifter in the GT/XRS. Si only comes with 5 spd, while Vibe GT/Matrix XRS comes with 6 speed.
    By the way, at the time I bought my 2002 Si (January 25th, 2003) It was advertized in the local papers at $15,300 from multiple dealerships. I paid $14,500 for mine, plus tax/title/licence ect. for the total of $15,500. Put $1000 down and financed the rest at 1.9% from Honda.
    That might be the best deal on any car I've ever heard of.
    the best deal I have ever heard of, although at the time my local dealership was willing to sell me an '02 (they had a bunch sitting around) for $15K. I would have had my choice of blue or black. I decided to wait a bit though...

I'm still happy with my $15980, and both those deals humiliate and embarass me.
    I did not mean to humiliate anyone, just presnting the reasoning why I got the Si instead of Matrix/Vibe. If the Matrix/Vibe were selling at lower prices and the Si was $19K, I would have went with the Matrix/Vibe.

When Civic Si first made its come back in April/May 2002, I looked at it, but could not justify its $19K sticker, and turned away.

There are benefits to buying an un-loved left over vehicle, price is one of the benefits. But on the upside, I have a 1 year old vehicle that is considered a two year old. Being that, I have to pay lower property tax on the two year old car, rather than higher taxes on one year old car. The trade-in base line is lower than a 2003, but I only have 12,000 miles and that brings the trade-in value up.
    When I first saw the sticker, I did the same thing. $19.5k? No thanks. I was trying to decide between a cheap "sporty" hatchback, and a MR2-spyder.

I was looking at the Accent, Matrix, ZX3, SVT, Si, RSX, and probably a few others that I forgot.
    SVT 3-door hatch is a real good match-up for the SI, but I think the real-world price of the Honda is a little lower. And now Ford is getting set to discontinue the SVT after this year.

The SVT is a great matchup for the Si, but at the time I was shopping, it was more expensive, and shared a terrible reliability reputation with the rest of the Focus lineup.

I don't know what I would pick if I was shopping now, although seeing as Miatas are in the paper at the same price I bought the Si (~$15,900), that is probably what I would get.
    are in the paper at $15,9??!! Good lord, I thought those things were like $21K!

Out the door. I added the fogs, flaps, mats, and cargo net. I kinda regret not going for the CD changer but I'm thinking of getting XM so I guess that would have been a waste.
    nippononly - Miatas are practically being given away here, it's insane. I would trade in, but I think I'll wait to see how the Mazdaspeed Miata is, and then the Solstice, and then the next generation Miata. Maybe I'll just wait my entire life for the perfect car to come, or until I can afford an Elise.

gee35 - Out the door price is hard to compare between states, how much was your car before tax and license?
    I want an Elise too!!!!!!!!

No fair! :-(

Until then the cars we do have are pretty darn cool, though! :-)

True enough. I really do enjoy driving my car.
    originally Lotuses imported to US were fitted with Intergra GS-R engines, but for some reason the legal imports will have Toyota Celica engine :-(
    from the Celica is a touhg little engine, so it may be a good thing. And you also get the Toyota six-speed that goes with it. And Lotus has increased the power by 10. And the whole car weighs, like, 1950 pounds, so imagine how fast it will be!

If you have the money to import one of the older cars, you could still do it.

True, a B-series based Lotus would have bigger aftermarket potential, but the 2zz is still going to have enough juice to get just about anyone in lots of trouble.
    I think the K20 from the Civic Type R, or RSX type S would have been a better engine choice. I never drove Celica, but I drove Vibe GT, which is supposed to have the same Yamaha engine. It was more reminiscent of older Honda engines where the car is anemic until 5000 rpm and then surges to life. That was another advantage for the Si, you did not need to wring it out to get going. Imagine what all that torque would do to a 1900 lbs body!!!
    out at a certain payment at 1.9%. On paper it was the previously mwentioned price at 7% tax and $499 doc fee. I ended up with a less than $200 payment while trading a 1997 Dakota 6 cyl stick with 70K on it.
    So you negotiated on payments? You got a good deal either way, but I'm curious why you would do that.
  • rewardreward Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2002 SI with 25K. Had initial period of rapid oil consumption (settled down after about 6K) Noticed increase in last two months (1.5 qts) Has anyone else experienced this pattern? Dealer says a quart a month is normal, but I have never owned a Honda that burnt that much even after 140K. Honda Vet
    because I already has worked out the maximum amount of principle that could be financed at that payment point. Once you know the intherest rate and payment, there is only so much priciple they can finance. I went into the dealership knowing the deal I wanted all the way around.
    gotcha
    I have a 2002 as well and it was "burning" oil at a rate of 1.5-2 quarts a 1000 miles or more, then it stopped, and now i switched to synthetic and it is about 1 quart every 3000 miles.
  • ai2004ai2004 Member Posts: 2
    I agreed in the dealership to buy Honda Si 2004 for $17,700 (it was strangely easy) and I thought it was a good deal. I already paid deposit but after reading the messages here, I feel the price is not so good. Any suggestions on how I can proceed from here? Of course, I can just buy the car...
    But I would check with a few other dealerships. Shop around. You may be able to do better. Look out though, the next SI is supposed to be a screamer......I hope.
    is the next SI in the U.S. going to actually be a rebadged type R from Europe? I hope so. This is a wonderful car that deserves some popularity to go with its good qualities.

I would think $17,7 would be about right for a new '04. Maybe you could do a little better, but the dealer and Edmunds agreed when I was pricing mine that invoice was almost exactly $18K flat. Plus the model has only recently been upgraded. There is an additional $500 holdback for dealers (at least there was a month ago), which would leave the dealer making about a $200 profit to sell you one at $17,7 (I am assuming you are including destination fee).

I have noticed my local dealer having the same problem as before - the SI's it has in stock just sit there looking glum. One has the words "Look! Side airbags!" printed in red so as to cover most of the windshield. Honda dealers haven't had a car this hard to sell since the last days of the Prelude.

• moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    $17,700 is a good price right now. The days of the $14,600 and $14,995 Si are long over and were short lived.
    If the Si is what you want, go for it. The 2004 is a very nice package with the looks and wheel size improved to where they should have been when the Si was introduced.
    It is fun to drive and I'll wish you luck that you do not have any of the problems I experienced with my 2002.
  • ai2004ai2004 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you all for the advice. I do like the car and the fact that it is sold as one-package w/o options (kinda like Acura TSX). I like that it is UK-assembled with Japan-made transmission and engine. Also, I like SI's interior better compared to Mazda3. The idea that thieves like it, too, is a bit alarming though.
    that theft rates on Civics and RSX's since '01 are way down from the last gen of each (integra in the case of RSX).

• anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    The SI and RSX both have immobilizers which is probably going a long way towards reducing theft.
    qoute "is the next SI in the U.S. going to actually be a rebadged type R from Europe? I hope so. This is a wonderful car that deserves some popularity to go with its good qualities."

I highly doubt that the next Si will be Type R. First off, people are not going to pay $25K for a stripped down Si, with 40 more HP. I know I won't. As it is people complain that Si rides too stiffly, I imagine Type R has stiffer suspension. It lacks sunroof, and A/C, and radio is optional. Yes, it has 200 hp engine, and 6 speed box, but so does the RSX-S. And at $22K it comes loaded. If they bring CTR and sell it for the current Si MSRP, it may stand a chance.
    Second, according to Temple VTEC rumor mill, the new Si will be a coupe.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Apparently, Honda is bringing out a 5-door Type R in the UK....rumour is that Honda Canada is evaluating it......direct currency conversion would put it over 30K in Canada though. The under-tired, under-powered SiR isn't exactly a bargain at 25-26K when you consider a Mazda3 GT Sport is just over 21K. Unless Honda has a major price realignment, I doubt it would fly.
    the Mazda3s (GT in Canada) which just came out offers really strong competition to Civic SI (SIr in Canada). For a price 10-20% lower it has all the same amenities and the same power, not to mention a better handling package with 17s. But if you drive the two back to back, you will still notice the Honda edge: a better shifter and an engine that loves to rev way more than the Mazda's. Plus the tire roar in the Mazda puts even the RSX to shame.

Is it enough to sell the Honda at $2000-3000 more (U.S.)? Maybe not. I was thinking they could make a killing if they brought over the powertrain from the current type R, but left the equipment level intact, and called THAT the new SI. It would have to be roughly the same price though, which might be impossible unless they made the same changes to the RSX. They couldn't have a lower-powered RSX selling at a higher price.

• taykinitezytaykinitezy Member Posts: 56
    Hello, I posted here back in January when I first started entertaining the thought of a new vehicle, and have been looking ever since. I have looked at the Si, Matrix and Mazda3 hatch. At that time a local dealer had 5 2003 Si's sitting on the lot and gave me an Internet quote of 16,200 including destination. Another dealer gave me an Internet quote on a 2004 of 17,800 including destination. It is now 3 months later and dealer #1 still has 3 of the 2003's on his lot. I am looking for any feedback on pricing and purchasing a 2003 that has been sitting for months. All the models I have looked at have their pros and cons as far as what I'm looking for, but being a Current Honda owner I am leaning towards the Si....but could use some owner insight to help nudge me in the right direction...thanks.
    prioritize performance in your ride, the SI is the most precise choice among those three...

Matrix has a high seating position, noticeable body roll, and an imprecise shifter. It is the utility vehicle of the group.

Mazda3 is better in both regards - in fact I think it has better handling than the SI, but a more punishing ride the rest of the time. And the Honda engine and shifter are still the best of the group, IMO. This is exactly the choice I was recently making - 3 vs Matrix vs SI. I ended up going with the dark horse, RSX, which I had driven two years ago and dismissed based on looks and interior space. But now I am more prepared to have less space inside to have the most fun and most balanced car of the group (again, IMO), and the looks hav grown on me.

I would say you get 99% of the RSX driving experience in the Civic SI, you just don't get that feeling that the car is wrapped around you like a sport skin (!!). But in place of that you get a car with a real back seat and space for four people, not to mention extra luggage space.

I would say that if your dealer is willing to deal on the 2003 Si, go for it. Offer $15K or so, plus taxes and fees, and you should have it for $16K out the door.

Like nippononly mentioned, Matrix is a OK, but not quite there. I personally did not feel that RSX was "car is wrapped around you like a sport skin" it felt more like sitting in a bucket. It has a low seating position and high window line. Si and Matrix on the other hand have lots of "green house" space.

Mazda 3 the 4 door looks like a puppy with its tail chopped off. I do like the looks of the hatchback though. But, Mazda has had its share of resale and reliability problems. I am rpetty sure, the 3 will have a $3000-$4000 rebate by years end, instantly plummeting your resale.

I bought a left over 2002 Si in 2003, got a really good price, and have not looked back. After a year, my theoretical (KBB, Edmunds, ect.) re-sale value is still higher than what I paid for it last year. On the "other" board there are people who have paid $15-16K for year old used Si's and are happy. I paid less for a brand new one!!!! I see no problem getting a year old car. When it comes to resale, you will get the lower value because of the year, but that will be compensated by the low milage for the year and still bring you up higher.
  • regataregata Member Posts: 8
    Hi Guys,

I had an auto accident couple of weeks ago. A guy hit my car from back. I have a damage estimated for about $1,050.00. This is mostly for rear bumper. Car Model is honda civic 3 dr hatchback '95. It has about 120,000 Miles on it.
    Bumper shape is not that bad. Some color scratches and little broke at the edges. Car is running fine.

My question is: Is it worth repairing the car looking at the year and the miles on it.

I appreciate all your feedback. Thanks.
    Even with Eibachs, 17's, and a thicker roll bar. It rides a little rough but it DOES NOT lean. I mean at all. The rear end will take a step out before it'll think about leaning. It's like driving a go cart now.
    What rear sway bar did you use?
    How is the exhaust clearance?
  • bd21bd21 Member Posts: 437
    You will be financially ahead by keeping the money and keeping the car. It sounds like it is minor cosmetic stuff anyway. Drive it a few more years and sell it for $1000 to $1500. You won't make up the difference in selling price if you pay for the repairs.
  • celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    Can you post the picture here if you don't mind? You should be able to find the rear bumper from the junkyard for less than $300.00.
    And the exhaust rattles a bit after I hot start. But it goes away after the exhaust heats up. The muffler is tight against the bar. That'll soon change after I have my new smaller "ebay special" muffler installed.
    Let me know how that works, and how the dimensions of the mufflers compare. My muffler is much smaller than stock. Maybe I can sneak one in.
  • jlaszlojlaszlo Member Posts: 60
    Looking to upgrade my '02 SI. What's the best/cheapest air intake I can put on the car? Is cold air intake that much better than RAM? Can you recommend any sites to purchase from? Thanks
  • regataregata Member Posts: 8
    How can I post pictures here ? Can somebody help.

Thanks
    Your best bet for the cold air intake is either INJEN or AEM. The cold air intake is definitely better than the short ram, but if there is the possiblity that your intake could ever be completely submerged in water (very unlikely, but possible if you were to drive into a foot deep of water), you may want to go with the short ram.

showstoppersusa.com has a great price on the AEM, which is what I bought. It's hard to say how much improvement there was from it, because I made several modifications at the same time, but the sounds alone is well worth the price.
This discussion has been closed.