Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Si / SiR 2005 and earlier

Comments

• kauai215kauai215 Member Posts: 190
    >Carl wrote:
    “I've heard that Hondas lose quite a bit of power through the drivetrain.”

That’s an assertion that gets my attention.

The implication is that Hondas lose an INORDINATE amount of power through the drivetrain, more than most, suggesting a serious shortcoming.

Is that your understanding?

If so, how do you account for it?

I’m not denying it, but I’m curious why this might be, if it’s true.

I’m skeptical, not for least which reason is that in this increasingly incompetent world, Honda stands out as a company that represents engineering QUALITY.

Drivetrains seem fairly straightforward, and I’m hard-pressed to believe Honda (of all “people”) cannot manage to design at least as efficient a drivetrain as others.

I’m prepared to be convinced otherwise, though.

Can you help us to understand how and why Hondas lose an excessive amount of power through the drivetrain?

-Kauai (who’s looking for clarity, not a fight. :-)
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    I knew it was a bad idea to say that without being able to remember the source. It was in an online magazine article... I'll be looking for it.

I remember being surprised by it, which is why I'm pretty sure it said that.

Better pretend I didn't say that until I find it.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Honda's don't lose an excessive amount of power. If that is true then how do you explain Honda's with lesser power out-accelerating those with more power? Even the SVT with a supposed 10HP advantage and an extra gear isn't that much faster than a Civic Si.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I've always heard that Honda drivetrains were some of the most efficient. I'd like to see where that little tidbit came from.
  • kauai215kauai215 Member Posts: 190
    >Carl wrote:
    "Better pretend I didn't say that until I find it."

Fair enough. Consider it forgotten. ;-)

While I have your attention, can you tell me whether anyone has written reports on dyno tests of Si engines compared to, for example, SVT engines, but tested at the flywheel, not at the drive wheels?

I don't read those magazines, but you seem to keep up with some of that stuff.

Anything interesting to share?
  • j_yip1j_yip1 Member Posts: 6
    My 2004 Si's disc brakes squeak when they are cold. Probably nothing. The rotors aren't warped or anything. Does this happen to anyone of your Si's as well? Not really a big deal but was wondering if there was anything I can do about it.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    My 2004 Si's disc brakes squeak when they are cold. Probably nothing. The rotors aren't warped or anything. Does this happen to anyone of your Si's as well? Not really a big deal but was wondering if there was anything I can do about it.

Probably dirt. Do you live in area where they use salt to melt the snow?
  • jmiller417jmiller417 Member Posts: 20
    My brakes make noise when they're cold, too. Not so much a squeak, though. It's more like a scrubbing sound. The car's done it since new, and it's been through dealer service a couple of times since then. I've mentioned it to them once, but the car came back the same way. So maybe it's normal (but I'd be the first to admit that my Honda dealer isn't exactly top-notch).
    My brakes make noise when they're cold, too. Not so much a squeak, though. It's more like a scrubbing sound. The car's done it since new, and it's been through dealer service a couple of times since then. I've mentioned it to them once, but the car came back the same way. So maybe it's normal (but I'd be the first to admit that my Honda dealer isn't exactly top-notch).

That's just rust build up from overnight. In the winter I used to get that after the car sat at work for 8 hours. Switched to Brembo replacements (they are cheaper than OEM too) it does not even do it after sitting in the snow over a weekend.
  • kmedovkmedov Member Posts: 3
    I have the same thing on my 2003 Si. I took it to the dealer and they told me that they gonna lubricate the sway bar bushings. It only lasted 3 days, so I'm gonna take it back to them the get the bushings changed. Also had some noise from clutch pedal when depressed... they chaged the clutch master cylinder. It's all under warranty.
    This noise is normal. Usualy happens after driving in the rain or snow. Disks gets rusted. Its due to open 5 spoke rims.
    You could try looking at GREDDY Turbo Kit. It will run you $4000 but for that price you'll get everything (turbo, intercooler, all pipes, injectors, and fuel managment system), and about the power %, Hondas have high RPM engines. they are not build for torque. I think that had to do with it. But I took my car to a race track and my car was completly stock I ran 15.4 sec. 1/4 mile, where other guys on the same cars and with intake pipes and hedders and hondata computers ran 16.2 sec.
  • j_yip1j_yip1 Member Posts: 6
    I had the same thing happen with my clutch pedal too. Dealer just replaced the master cylinder. My brakes squeak only when they're cold. I live in San Francisco so I think the morning dew from the fog contributes to the squeaking.
  • jmiller417jmiller417 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the info... I'll look into those when the time comes for a brake job.
  • bobbsibobbsi Member Posts: 19
    '02 Si w/38,000 miles. New Bridgestone G009 tires. Prior to the new tires, getting minor vibration during the first couple miles of my morning commute-1/4 mile to interstate and then 70 mph. New tires exaggerated the issue. Had tires balanced twice. After a couple of miles, vibration fades in and out, then disappears. Two days ago notice a 'rythmic' noise (in sync with the engine speed/belt drive) from the belt drive area. Louder inside car than outside with the hood popped. Another trip to the tire dealer today and a trip to the Honda dealer tomorrow. Will post results but in the meantime, any thoughts?

Thanks
    '02 Si w/38,000 miles. New Bridgestone G009 tires. Prior to the new tires, getting minor vibration during the first couple miles of my morning commute-1/4 mile to interstate and then 70 mph. New tires exaggerated the issue. Had tires balanced twice. After a couple of miles, vibration fades in and out, then disappears. Two days ago notice a 'rythmic' noise (in sync with the engine speed/belt drive) from the belt drive area. Louder inside car than outside with the hood popped. Another trip to the tire dealer today and a trip to the Honda dealer tomorrow. Will post results but in the meantime, any thoughts?

Thanks

I have new Bridgestone Potenza's and noticed the same thing. The first couple of miles on cold morning, I get vibration that fades away. I discounted that to the tire flatspotting overnight. I think the new Bridgestone tires may be using a much softer compound that is more prone to flat spotting. I just jacked up the tire pressure to 36 psi, it seemed to solve the problem, although I still get slight vibration for a mile or two.
    Thanks for the reply. Tire dealer (and a customer standing there) stated that it is indeed the nature of the tire. Makes sense. Noticed it on the OEM tires when the new interstate enterence was opened-prior to that, I had a 3 mile low speed 'tire warm up' prior to hitting the interstate.

The engine noise is a bad pully on the serpentine belt-one of two mounted on the head. Dealer is being gracious and replacing under warrenty.
  • robert57460robert57460 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 02 Si (with 45K miles) and have been doing my spring preventive maintenance. Does anybody know when you're supposed to change the fuel filter, or is it a 110K mile change like the spark plugs? I don't see any reference to it in the owner's manual. Thanks. robert57460
    Based on a conversation with the dealer's service mgr. where I bought my '02 Si, you don't. The filter unit is a mesh (I think) unit located in the fuel tank. Cleaning involves draining the tank, etc.
    I have an 02 Si (with 45K miles) and have been doing my spring preventive maintenance. Does anybody know when you're supposed to change the fuel filter, or is it a 110K mile change like the spark plugs? I don't see any reference to it in the owner's manual. Thanks. robert57460

I agree with previous post, dealers say that fuel filter is a lifetime item.
  • robert57460robert57460 Member Posts: 2
    bobbsi & blueiedgod: Thanks for the helpful info. One less item to worry about.
  • samiam1973samiam1973 Member Posts: 2
    I envy you guys and gals. I wish I'd bought an si. Instead I got a GTI 1.8t. Sure, I love laying fresh rubber on the road at stop lights, but test driving the si was most fun I every had. Oh well... maybe I can find a buyer and find enuff $ for an si of my own (sigh)
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    So what made you buy the GTI? (which I also considered before buying the Si)
  • aaronpanaaronpan Member Posts: 26
    I just had a fight with my local honda dealer about my windshield wiper. I wanted to have my inserts replaced, but got a reponse from them saying that they do not carry after market inserts due to after market wiper! And they were expecting me to drive my car home without wiper inserts since they already removed them while my car was in oil change. And I was not told about it until i realized my old wipers are gone. I had never changed my windsield wiper since I bought my car from the same dealer. So how could the wiper been "after market"? Is there any ways to know if my wiper is actually factory wiper ('02 Si)?? I doubted that those techs could actually tell my wiper is actually aftermarket or factory. If they knew it's aftermarket, they should have known it before they remove the old one. Any ideas?
    ( a little advice, if you happen to live near Reno(Nevada) area try to go else where for your hondas. This is my second fight with them in 4 month. You really don't want this kind of "Disrespect" happen to you after they took your money.)
    I have been sold the wrong inserts before. They are specific to that car and have a kit to istall them. You can tell if they are factory because they say "Valeo" on them. Must be a British brand or something but if your old frames are Valeo, they are factory. Truth is the dealership probably didn't stock the inserts and had wrecked yours getting them off. They tried to cover thier behinds by saying yours were aftermarket. My local Honda dealer doesn't even stock our air filters.
    Thanks a lot! gee35coupe, I am greatly appreciated!
    You are exactly right! They had wrecked mine while getting them off.
    But, somehow I am still feeling depressed about my experience with my local honda dealer, and could not just forget about it. During the argument with their service department manager, I addressed that I bought my Si from them and never had my wipers replaced and got a response saying that "I don't care where you bought your car". Can you believe that? Plus I was not informed about the issues when they handed my car back. This is just pis*ing me off... I know this is really off the topic but just feel like to talk with someone here who would understand my feeling. At least I could feel better this way.
    There is one concern came to my mind. I bought 7years warranty on my SI and do I always need to go back to the dealer where I bought my car in order to use the warranty?? Since I decided not to do anymore business with them, but they are the only one dealer in town from where I live. Any suggestion on that?
    It should be good at any Honda dealership. There is no requirement that you have to have your car serviced at the dealership you bought your car. Now if they are the only dealership around, that may explain why you got such rude treatment. Did you keep the old mangled wiper frames and compare them to the new ones? They may have given you the wrong ones if they don't say Valeo.

In the dealership's defense though, the SI refills are a dog to replace.
    I haven't replace new one by myself and still keep the old one attached, coz I am seeking a way to talk to the owner of honda dealer and thought it's better to keep them the way it was. I did find the word Valeo on the wiper!! (thanks for the tip) So, now I am preparing another trip to honda and explain to them why Valeo isn't a factory wiper. Dealer didn't know Valeo is a factory wiper because it's a british brand?? Non of US-Model hondas use Valeo? Any ideas?

"the SI refills are a dog to replace." (does it mean it's hard to install them??)
    The refills are pretty difficult to replace.

But Valeo IS the factory wiper. I don't know if it's British or not, but they are different than any other Honda wiper.
    That was pretty rude of the service manager to say "I don't care where you bought the car." At my dealership, if you bought the car from them, you get a free loaner wen getting major service, but if you bougth elsewhere, you only get a shuttle to the local mall.

As far as wipers go, I would suggest you replace them with Bosch Microedge, they are 12 month wiper blades. Get the whole assembly replaced, not just refills. For the rear's Anco makes some 12 inch wiper assembly's that fit well.

I would have recommended Triple Edge for their lifetime warranty. But I left three messages with them to get replacements and no one called me back. NO TRIPLE EDGE as they don't want to honor their lifetime warranty.

As far as the Honda care warrnaty, that is if you got that, you don't really have to have the car serviced at Honda dealer, as long as you have recepits for regular service. But you do have to go to Honda dealer to get warranty work done. If you bought extended warranty other than Honda care, you have to read your contract.
    Refills are cheaper than any aftermarket wipers I have found. And they work just as well. I mean I would like some of those new "Mercedes style" blades but those things are astronomical.
    In theory Triple edge refills are free. I finally got a return phone call from Triple Edge, they are sending me third set of replacements. Not bad for the initial outlay of $8 a pop.
    Got a lot of works for school lately..... couldn't check back sooner!
    I feel warm when I saw you guys replied to my issues! At least I have someone to share story with. For days, I still couldn't get that bad experience out of my head. I thought about going back there and talk to the G.Manager to resolve this, but also kind of thought they may not show any respect to me (since the experience with the service manager). Then I finally came up a best way to fight the service manager (this way I won't be pis*ed off again "directly"). I am filing a complaint against them through BBB. This way I won't have to talk to them in person and avoid "run around" (luckily they are the member of BBB). So, if they failed to correct the issue at least I will leave them a record for 35 month with BBB. But I still hope they will at least care about this issue and solve it (don't know how but a letter will be enough).
    I finally replaced the inserts myself. Just couldn't stand the foggy look on the right windshield. Went to K shop and bought it. Cost me $14 for both. I wanted to keep the factory wiper (Valeo) attached to the car just in case I will need them for evidence.
    Hopefully I will hear from BBB within 30 days. If anything happens, I will post it.
    Again, appreciated!
  • natenj1971natenj1971 Member Posts: 174
    Hey All,

Found a used 2004 Si with 4000 miles on it, strongly considering it but I'm thinking I may want to get an extended warranty with it. Any ideas on how much these cost? The car is listed at $17.8 in Hudson Valley NY at a honda dealer.

Appreciate any feedback,

N
    Hey All,

Found a used 2004 Si with 4000 miles on it, strongly considering it but I'm thinking I may want to get an extended warranty with it. Any ideas on how much these cost? The car is listed at $17.8 in Hudson Valley NY at a honda dealer.

Appreciate any feedback,

N

It should be a certified Honda at that price, and that would include 60,000 mile warranty. Or whatever certified includes, which is longer than new car warranty.

I would question why would someone be willing to lose $5000 on a brand new car if it were not problem ladden. The person who traded it in lost at least $5000 on the trade.

One problem with that price is that a BRAND NEW 2005 HONDA CIVIC Si sells for $17,481 on carsdirect, and you get 1.9% or 2.9% apr on top of that. Why would you pay $17,800 for a used one?

P.S. I e-mailed with an alternative offer.
    I agree - I haven't even seen the car yet and I wasn't going to grab it unless I could get him down to 15 and even then I wasn't sold unless I could get an extended warranty. I think I will wait a little longer - see about getting a left over 2005 in July. I still have to figure out what to do with my present car - 2001 Accord Ex V6.

Thanks for the feedback and information.

N
    It would only become a left over after the new model is relased after september 15th.
    Good to know about July vs Sept. Hey, have you any idea how hard it would be to slap a Special Edition MP3 radio into an Si?
    Shouldn't be difficult. Almost all Honda products are interchangeable. The SE radio is double DIN, you just have to remove the pocket. On the price side, dealer charges $700 for the SE radio, I think you can get alot more in the aftermarket with $700.
    I finanlly closed the deal on the 2005 CR-V EX 5 spd manual, last night. Have to say good bye, and come see me at the CR-V forum.
  • shepstershepster Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to find out the gas mileage on a 2002 civic sir. I am from Canada so can anyone tell me in our lingo...km/litre?

I am trying to compare the 2004 MAZDA 3 to the 2002-3 CIVIC SIR.

Thanks for the help.
    blueidgod: How much did you get for the Si.
    Congrats on the CRV!

I had a fun day tracking down an Si. One dealer five minutes away from my house said they had two - so I get there and NO Si's. I finally found one in Union NJ it had th HFP appearance stuff on it - but none of the suspension upgrades or wheels and a deal breaker - NO Side air bags.
    Another dealer had me sit in an 05 accord coupe. I didn't fit well. The cener console was so wide my leg was lodged between it and the steering wheel (I'm 6'4). My head brushed against the sunroof too. It was not as bad in the Si.

Another dealer tried to "get me"into an Element.

Hope your enjoying the CRV.
    You will be missed in this forum..You brought a great deal of wisdom & knowledge. Good luck with the CR-V
  • leatherzebraleatherzebra Member Posts: 1
    I recently had exactly the same problem that you're describing with my 2002 Si. In addition to a click that I could feel in the steering wheel on spirited take-offs, I also had a muffled rattling sort of noise coming from the front of the car during bumpy left-turns. The dealer replaced the rack and pinion steering system, and now both problems are fixed. I suspect that you may have the same problem I did. Good luck with your car, hope you get it fixed.
  • vikcorpvikcorp Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I was thinking about buying a Short Ram Intake System for my 2000 CIVIC SI DOHC. Will it give me any gains in gas mileage and power? I do a lot of highway driving, as i live int eh Northern VA DC Metro Area. Will I lose anything by installing a short ram intake system? I Am trying to make sure there are many gains to using it.

I cannot afford a cold air system and I also go to NY a lot so I don't wan tto risk it, they have very very heavy snow where I live.
    blueidgod: How much did you get for the Si.

$12,500 as trade in, I only had 15,000 miles. I did pay $500 over invoice on the CR-V, which basically made my trade worth $12,000. Going in tomorrow to get the "Pull to the right" thing fixed.
    You will be missed in this forum..You brought a great deal of wisdom & knowledge. Good luck with the CR-V

Thanks.

I am starting to miss my "angry hamster" :-(
    Gee has been talking about trading his Si and getting an IS250 sometime next year. After driving his Si for the first time in a few weeks I realized that I would really hate to see the Si go. It's such a fun car. It's a much better car than the Scion tC or Focus hatch if you ask me.
    Let me know if you miss the "angry hamster" too much-I'm always open to sell! I have 40k on my '02 and the rattles (especially in the cold weather) make me wonder of the ability of the UK group to bolt a car together. Still having issues with mysterious random noises from the front end that the dealer can never track down. Gotta think it is in the steering rack, just not sure. Guess once it breaks, it will be easier to find.....but bottom line is I love to take the engine to the red line. Kinda makes it tolerable...
This discussion has been closed.