Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Si / SiR 2005 and earlier

Comments

• chem123chem123 Member Posts: 272
    I always thought the weight was around 2630, at least for the USDM.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Based on Honda's JDM website, the new ITR weighs at 1170 kg (1180 kg with a/c). That translates to 2574 lb. (2596 lb. with a/c).

The new CTR has a base curb weight of 2618 lb (1190 kg).
  • swinga7swinga7 Member Posts: 45
    I was so excited when rumors of a new si were flying around, and then I saw it and my heart dropped. "its so damn ugly", i thought. I gave the looks the benefit of the doubt hoping that maybe they would put some new amazing engine that cranked out 190hp at 9k rpm, but then I saw the actual same old boring 160hp numbers with a lower redline and this new boring i-vtec crap. I will not be paying thousands over msrp for the new si. i'm not impressed
  • chem123chem123 Member Posts: 272
    Didn't know you were talking JDM weights...my bad.
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Welcome to the club!
    European Civic Type-R weighs 1204 kg. (2649 lb.). It comes with RSX Type-S engine though (200 ps/144 lb.-ft).
  • bsme1991bsme1991 Member Posts: 23
    I was out taking my kid on a stroller ride when I did a double take of a new white Civic Si HB in neighbors driveway. He paid $20k for it and claimed it was one of three in California - bought it from Ray Fladeboe in Irvine. It is 1987 Accord HB sized, I was unimpressed.
    I saw one on freeway today here in Dallas area! Are they already on sale? The owner didn't seem to like the idea of break-in though, but he was going the other way, in the left lane.
  • little9little9 Member Posts: 30
    Well actually not a "new" approach as de-contenting and raising prices at the same time has been occurring for the past couple of years. The really new Honda approach scheduled to begin next year is for Honda fans to send at least 25k to Honda and in return receive an authentic Honda nameplate perfect for affixing to any make/model of vehicle. Of course, Honda reliability will stand behind this nameplate as will Honda dealers who will be equally committed to "Higher than MSRP" for those who have not sent their money directly to Honda. I can hardly wait...in fact I'm so excited my heart is racing even as I think of this.
    Geez! And I thought I was a cynic! *bow down*
    little9,
    I'm curious as to how you define de-contenting. If Honda does go the route you came up with, de-contenting and raising up the price, it wouldn't be the first automakertime, and it would actually help 'em establish themselves as luxury automaker.
    yes the new civic si is on sale now. i drove past a white one today sitting in my local honda dealers lot. they must have sold it because it was pulled around back by the time I got out of class. too bad, I was thinking about stopping in and asking them to let me take it for a drive. it looks a little better in person but I still wouldn't pay 20 grand for a hatchback. especially when for 3 grand more I could get a screamin fast wrx or an rsx type-s.
    Honda is putting the 200hp rsx type s engine into the civic si next year. I just read this is my new motortrend. now that will be worth looking into.
    I was at my Honda shop yesterday and spotted a silver Si in front of the detail bay. It was sold, but the service manager let me get in and check it out.

The seats are excellent and the car appears to be very well assembled, both inside and out, even if the cabin materials are a slight bit chintzy in places. There is almost no room in the boot with the seats up, and the rear view of the car isn't any better than the front, I'm afraid. In profile, it still looks too much like a mini-minivan for my tastes, but some Type-R cladding would help.

The shifter is very slick, and only a little weird looking. I'd like to put the steering wheel in my Prelude--it's a killer!

The cowl is fairly high, thanks to the Mcstruts, but outward viz is pretty good. The car also sits lower than I expected.

Bring on the Type-R!
  • yugoboyyugoboy Member Posts: 161
    Here are my 2 cents, honda bring over your whole lineup that you offer in europe/asia which would consist of a type r civic, 5-door civic and the jazz!!!!Stop bringing/giving us all the crap, ie:cr-v, pilot, and let's not forget honda's version of the aztek the "ELEMENT"!!!!! And to quell all the anger over the pricing of the new civic si hatch, we wouldnt have this problem if we didnt have all these rebadged "Luxury" vechicles called Acura!!!
  • little9little9 Member Posts: 30
    A simple "thank you". It has taken years of experience to reach this level of cynism. Again, thanks and I just know that if you keep at it you will far surpass my humble efforts.
    the U.S. isn't getting the civic type r we are getting a 200hp civic si.
    200 HP Civic Si (SiR in Canada) would make more sense than Type-R simply because Honda sells those in extremely limited numbers. There are a few things Honda could do to its compact hatch lineup (Civic Si and RSX).
    Civic Si:
    200 HP, 6-speed transmission, 16-inch wheels with performance rubber and brakes, keep EPS, ABS and EBD. Subtract moon-roof and save 20-25 lb. plus some head room.
    RSX:
    175 HP (to keep redline within range of about 7000 rpm for automatic), 5-speed auto/6-speed manual, 16-inch wheels with all-season rubber, EPS, ABS, EBD
    RSX Type-S:
    Type-R drive train (220 HP, 6-speed manual), Type-R wheels (17-inch wheels and rubber), Type-R brakes, EPS, VGR, ABS, EBD and optional premium package (leather/moonroof/Bose system etc. to keep base price down).

In case you are wondering,
    EPS: Electric Power Steering. Other than no drain of power from engine and slightly improved fuel efficiency (2%, yeah right), the neatest things it offers is ability to tune the steering to personal preference. Honda has offered it from day one on NSX, and later joined by S2000, now the Type-Rs, Civic Si, Insight and Civic Hybrid have it. Eliminates the conventional power steering pump, and is considered safer against sudden loss of power steering.
    EBD: Electronic Brake Distribution. It has been a standard feature in several Japanese and European Hondas, and I believe Civic Si (and Civic Hybrid) are the first to have it here in America.
    VGR: Variable Gear Ratio. One of the several new things Honda developed in 1997 becoming the first automaker to offer it in production cars. The new Type-Rs have it. It varies the steering gear ratio depending on need (speed and turn). I am not sure if it is the same as the so-called VGS system offered in S2000 Type-V (Japan only), which was the first production car to have such a setup.
  • colemanhondacolemanhonda Member Posts: 1
    Attention all shoppers the New Civic Si has arrived and is now available. If interested and you live within a reasonable traveling distance to Clarksville, Maryland please feel free to call me for pricing info. My toll free number is 1 877-494-6632 ext 1019 or you can ask for Johnathan Barnwell.

Thanks and I hope to here from you soon.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    My 1999 Civic CX hatchback didn't come equipped with power steering, and I never missed it. Sure, the new Si hatch is a porker, but why not just scrap the fancy electric power steering and save even more weight and money?
    Read the Townhall member agreement - solicitations such as your posting are prohibited.
  • sandis_sisandis_si Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately, I wanted silver and they only had white, so I have to wait a week. No matter; I got to drive the puppy and it's awesome. Course, I now drive a 90 Civic hatchback DX, so I'm not used to ANY power.

I got mud flaps, extra fabric and paint protectant, 4 floor mats and rear wheel well protectors (sorry for using the wrong language, but I forgot what they're called) for 21k out the door.

I love the styling. It was very important for me to have good visibility, as I'm used to driving that old Civic, which is dang near like having no obstructions at ALL. The SI kicks in more than just the ability to see well... the comfort is sublime and when cornering, it feels like nothing could lift those tires off the ground.

I, for one, love it!
    Well, okay! That's one vote in the "love it" column.

Sandi, please keep us posted on how the car breaks-in.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    Sandi-- congrats! Though, I think that 21K is a lot of money for this car. That is, of course, without driving it.

I stopped by the Honda dealership in Santa Monica yesterday and the salesman there said that they had one Si [silver]... but it was in the back getting leather put in it and the windows tinted. Two thoughts crossed my mind upon hearing this:

1- everybody has been raving about the seats in this car... why the heck are they putting leather on them??

2- this thing is going to go for well over MSRP!

Just an aside about these dealer enhancements: I stopped at a VW dealership later that day, and they had a Passat with an XM radio head unit and charging $995 for it!! This head unit only retails for $300, then maybe another $150 for install.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    on your new Civic Si! We look forward to hearing more.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
    Congrats sandis_si.
  • westports94westports94 Member Posts: 3
    I also think I bought one for a bit under $21,000 (it's on the lot, but I'll find out shortly if the dealer really delivers it), but...

I suggest Sandis_si wait and see if he really gets the car in a week. Psych yourself up for possible delaying tactics.

If they're like most dealers, and if another buyer walks in and is Si-crazy enough to offer even more, I'm suspect 'your' car could suddenly not be available (assuming they're really getting one in a week).

This happened when I bought a Honda years ago... also in high demand at that time. I made the deal, I said it was good for the specific car they showed me... next day, "Oh, we made a mistake... that one had been sold... we're really sorry"... didn't get a car for another eight weeks or so.

Sandis_si.... hope you get your car and that you enjoy it enough to justify the price. Me, I'm ambivalent: even though it's not among the hottest hatches, it suits me well (I want sportier, but don't need 200 hp; also want a hatch). But if my dealer is playing games and the deal falls through, I won't be upset... who would mind missing out on paying $1000 over MSPR for an already overpriced hatch? We'll see.

Good luck.......
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    For $21K out the door, I'm curious why Si buyers aren't considering the Acura RSX for about the same $, since it's being discounted right now. I realize that the Si and RSX are both great cars, but the RSX does offer a lot more equipment and a longer warranty.
    is anyone paying over msrp for a civic si!!!!???? If people would just be calm for a little while the hype will die down!!!! I remember not to long ago everyone going thru this same crap when the new rsx came out!!!!! Anyone paying over msrp is only adding high octane fuel to the FIRE!!!!! My 2 cents!!!!! Im glad i went with my 2002 infiniti g20 instead of having to put up with these corrupt honda dealers!!!!!
    RSX: No back seat, noisy, crummy dash material... I agree its a better deal, but if your not looking with something that isn't so low riding (I couldn't raise the seat on the RSX to where I wanted it without hitting my head on the roof), has a (sort of a) real back seat and can carry something sizable without leaving the back open, the Civic is a bit more appealing... even if clearly overpriced, but still several $k below RSX Type X (RSX base feels like it has no punch at all). But I'll wait for a test drive of the Si to see.
    People are paying MSRP+ for Si's because there will be fewer than 5,000 imported this year. I would imagine that if someone wants one bad enough (which is pretty difficult for me to imagine), then they'll pony up what the dealer says.

Good ol' law of supply and demand! Capitalism rules!
    Drove the Si today... for $21k I'd need to be very impressed.... I was not. It'a a civic with a few extra horse but sure didn't feel like anything special. Yugoboy will be glad to know that I told the dealer for $21k they could keep the car. I wouldn't have taken it even if it were $19k. What a disappointment.

Anybody on this post acutally taken possession of an Si yet?
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    How is the G20? Nice entry-level sport sedan.
    Yes, capitalism rules... more demand for Civic Si and less demand for Infiniti G20 means you probably got a great deal on the G20... but there's an Infiniti dealer in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario... but NO INFINITI dealer in Ann Arbor, Michigan (city of many import luxury models). Canadian market is different.

Infiniti G20 is more refinement than sport...
    Civic Si is the other way around.

Why buy an Si? Ohhh... because Civic EX is so boooooring after the redesign.

Boy, for a Honda-Acura partisan, I'm a little loose cannon! (LOL baby!) ... Honda and Acura dealers here have a big audience, so they're probably tougher to deal with. I got my Integra on the East Side of the Detroit Metro area... less demand there.
    You got me figured out brothaaa!!!! G20 is definetly more refinement then sport, however it handles like a mother, and has every available option you could think!!!!! So many compliments, people like the fact that it is a little more original than getting and Acura or Lexus(love the is300, hate the clear rear lenses that come on it though!!!)) Anywayz to make a long story short, love the si(sir here in Canada)hatchback really is the only way to go for practicality!!!! However i love being treated like a king at my dealership, instead of a pon, like i would in a honda dealership!!! My 2 cents!!!!!
    so, I went back to the Santa Monica dealership to check out their only Si and here's how it broke down:

Si $19,540
    leather $ 1,300
    tint $ 400
    *Dealer Mark-up* $2,000

Basically, over $23K!! Ridiculous, I think. On a positive note, the steering wheel, seats and interior ergonomics were awesome!
    Incidentally, I had a '99 Si which I paid 2.5% over invoice (total of $16,500)... unfortunately, this car was stolen from me this past fall (it got totally stripped). For me, this new Si (especially since it is slower than the '99) isn't worth more than $17,500 to me (credit going to the nice seats and steering wheel)... which probably means, I won't own one.

This dealership also had a $10,000 mark-up on a S2000!!!! What the heck?? I could understand this when the car first came out and dot-com money was running amuck... but now? Who are these people paying over MSRP by leaps and bounds?
    There is no other logical answer. I stopped at my dealer today to sit in the one Si they have in stock. The seats look great, but oddly enough, they weren't very comfortable or supportive, at least for my body (6'5" and on the slim side). The car was not available for test drives, so I have no idea what it is like out on the road. It seems pretty well assembled and detailed, but it didn't make me want to reach for my checkbook.
    yeah, for around $20K I'd rather get a GTI (more luxurious, and more power) or a Mini (more sporting; though, the mark-ups on them could be quite high as well).

Incidentally, where is the Invoice price for this car? Edmunds still doesn't have it listed.... are manufacturers no longer releasing this data?
    ... at least until the buzz wears off. I'd just look at the percentage markup on other Hondas and figure the margin is about the same. The car I saw was a non-airbag model, and the sticker said $19,000.00 plus freight. I'd guess there's about $1.5K - $2K profit built into the MSRP.
  • gsgman69gsgman69 Member Posts: 75
    I've been reading all of the comparisons between hot hatches for the past couple months and the SI has won none of them. They should of priced it nearer to the Focus SVT(17995?) which runs rings around it. They also should have made the sunroof optional as you have to get one with an RSX.

I've seen some discounted last year 200 hp Preludes here in C. Texas that haven't been going for much more than 21k, so....

The larger picturer is that manufacturers have to North Americans more options with high performance cars - not just economy cars with more body cladding. This is already evident in the Subaru WRX which is now being countered by the Lancer Evo VII.

Anyway I was looking at the 2002 SI and it was my lead candidate after I had given up on the Sentra SE-R. I eventually ended up with a VW GTI 1.8t and looking back I'm glad I did.
    Cool. That 1.8T is a bullet! (Just watch it in the twisties--"Roll over! Play dead! Good boy!")
    If a dealer asks for more than MSRP (I wouldn't even pay that for any car), just ask if they have a Prelude in the lot. Couple of years ago, I paid $21.6K to get Prelude with manual transmission.
  • tgo63tgo63 Member Posts: 16
    I checked out civic si last weekend. Was not very impressed, but did not drive it. There was a market markup $1,500. Myself I would never pay this, but I am sure they will find a person with money to burn. I did not like the way car looks from the side. The beltline is very high, seem out of proprtions. I think prelude is a much nicer, faster, and more interesting vehicle.
    However, if someone needs a five sits in a car thats a different story.
    Tom
    some car mag made an interesting description... they said that the Si has a "hippo on rollerskates"-look.

At the same time (I believe it was the same publication) said that the CTR is the best looking vehicle Honda has put out since the S2000.

Kind of funny I thought... and then later, I realized that I think they are on to something!
  • david91569david91569 Member Posts: 2
    A local dealer here in Eastern, NC offered me a Silver 2002 Si at $750 over invoice. It does not have the side airbags but does have all the dealer add ons. He gave me all the invoice information since I was not able to find it online. These aren't exactly flying off the lots around here so if you're shopping, be patient. Don't pay hidden fees either as several dealers add "documentation fees", "advertising fees", "environmental protection" or "market adjustment". This is all bogus non sense.

MSRP*******invoice
    $19,000*****$17,801.80 2002 Silver Civic Si
    $229********$182.10 Side Molding
    $124********$76.18 Sunroof visor
    $99*********$51.85 Cargo Tray
    $99*********$66.74 Floor mats
    $79*********$40.80 splash guards
    $79*********$40.00 wheel locks
    $440********$440 destination fee
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    I always wondered what the Honda 'Dealer Appreciation Fee' was for... wait, that's what the Toyota dealer asked for when I asked about the Celica.
  • dasteph94dasteph94 Member Posts: 20
    Just thought I'd clarify something for those of
    you trying to negotiate with dealers to buy a SI--as a journalist I get official info from Honda
    USA and they say some 12000 of the SI's are being
    brought in--so if any dealer hits you with that
    nonsense about only 5000 coming in, just ignore them and keep negotiating...
    and good luck!
  • seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    Dealer near me has them for MSRP + $299 handling fee. No other add-ons or fees. Decent dealer (for Honda). They're only getting two a month. Sold the first one they got two weeks ago, but don't have any of the other ones pre-sold as of four days ago.(Don't know if re-sale will hold up like the 99-00 Si). Sat in and played with one at an auto show. Liked the feel alot, looks okay, would grow on me I guess. We bought a '02 cr-v a few months back and the i-vtec engine is really impressive, so I'm sure the 2.0 in the civic is as silky and consistent. Almost put my name on the list for a silver one, but decided to look at VW GTI one more time. Went to the dealer Wednesday and drove out with a silver 1.8T with Luxury and Leather(gray leather) Package for $19950 + tax out the door. Gave me a fair value on my 99 accord too, something I'd have a hard time getting with Honda. Good luck to you Si shoppers. Looks like a great car, but for about the same "real world price" you can get a GTI which offers more of everything, except maybe handling. Not looking to add anything onto my car for a couple years, but when I do, I'd like to add a chip, springs, and short shift kit.(Cost $1000 for all)
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    Here on Long Island my local Honda dealership has had two Si's sitting for a little over a month. One in white and one in that goldish color. They are both offered slighty above MSRP. Being an ex-94 Civic Si owner I went and gave them a good check out. I was not impressed.

That new shifter is interesting but where do you rest your arm between shifts in traffic? The car is almost 2800 lbs now. In person it looks like a Mini-Minivan. The seats look ready for the race track but not a long trip. Looks like there is less room in the hatch area now. I just think they priced them a bit high for this area (NY). There are many other choices now that are just as fun and almost as fast. My new Elantra GT is 8.0 seconds to 60 and the Si is 7.6. $14.5K vs $19K. It was a no-brainer. I wish Honda luck.
  • jim_loves_carsjim_loves_cars Member Posts: 190
    I have a '93 Si that is starting to die on me. It's taken my abuse for 9 years without complaint and it's been a delight to own. I'm going to be buying a new car in the next few weeks and I was excited to hear that the new Si's are on dealer lots.

But the new Si isn't what my OLD Si is. My '93 was a bargain ($12,500) for a sporty car with a nice moonroof, a cammy v-tech engine and a tight suspension. The new Si is more refined, but it's also pricey! $19.5k for a Civic Si with mini-van-bland styling and mediocre performance? I think Honda might be missing the mark with this car. Look at the SVT Focus - that's what the old Si was - a reliable driver's car that is a real value. The new Si leaves me a little flat.

Oh well, I think I'm going to but a Protege5 instead. Not as powerful, but it's a good handler with enough power to raise a smile and costs about $2,000 less than the Si. And it looks nice, too.

-jim
  • soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    But as compared to SVT Focus. I think Si would be a good value if sold at around invoice + 300/400 & given the market's response I think it will sel at that price only. Civic type R is coming here in USA & is confirmed by the internet manager at the local dealer (for around 21K msrp)
This discussion has been closed.