Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

issues with '98 Accord

agoyalmdagoyalmd Member Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Honda
Hi, I am planning to buy a '98 Accord with 30K miles at the nearby dealer. I wanted to check if others have had problems with their Honda Accords and would recommend to buy it or not. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!!

Comments

• dc_sports_ruledc_sports_rule Member Posts: 134
    If it is an I-4 Accord, I would make the purchase. If it is a V-6 Accord, I would stay away because of the transmission problems the 1998's had their first year.Check transmissions on this board and you will see what I mean.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Wrong!

Actually the transmission problem was limited to a few late 99 and early 2000 V-6 Accords and Odysseys. A vendor changed the specs on a part without telling Honda.

The problem wasn't all that widespread and Honda fixed them under warranty.

98 Accords like all Accords are great cars. I own one.
  • lulucbelllulucbell Member Posts: 1
    Transmission problems are not limited to the 99's. I own a '98 Accord which is presently at the dealer getting the transmission replaced. It has 50,000 ml.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    A transmission failure on a Honda with 50,000 miles is HIGHLY unusual.

I've never even heard of such a thing but I also know that any car can have something unusual go wrong.
  • pblevinepblevine Member Posts: 858
    Remember Isellhondas is a Honda salesman. The trouble with him is that he is generally right (as in correct). No fun in that! And he's knowledgable too. Ugh! This is a case in point. I too own a '98 EX V6 Accord Coupe. It still has low mileage, but is now being used as a daily commuter. And thus far, I've had no trouble with the transmission. Go figure!
  • dc_sports_ruledc_sports_rule Member Posts: 134
    Are the Honda Accord V-6's sold in Norway made in the United States or Great Britain?
This discussion has been closed.