Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Bug guards, protective bras & film

13»

Comments

• LDegrelleLDegrelle Member Posts: 74
    Just picked up a Santa Fe. Never had new car before so now I am dreading the first chips and dings. Place near me (Media, PA) will do the whole front (bumper, grille, hood, mirrors and lights) for $600 with the 3M clear film.

I'm really torn on this whole thing. On one side I want this car to look nice as long as possible (gloss black, so I am thinking dings will stand out). On the other hand, $600! Thats a LOT of money. We intend to keep the car until it dies, never got rid of car under 100k miles. Oh the decisions.

On plus side, installer can also do a strip on edge of each door to protect it when opening.

What I was really intrigued about was perhaps putting a 4" wide strip down the side of the car to protect against other goofballs opening THEIR doors. He didnt think it would cost that much (no real fancy trimming required). Any thoughts?
  • paratrooper82paratrooper82 Member Posts: 41
    The best price I'm seeing for a genuine toyota bug shield is around $70-75, anybody see anything better online? Thanks.
  • ruskastudruskastud Member Posts: 34
    Got my Wade bugshield on Ebay... I think you will find the best prices there for most stuff.. Also, my dealership matched prices on a few of the things listed on ebay (tube step runningboards and sill protectors), so that is an option too....
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    $600.00 installed seems to be the going rate for having the front end done.
  • LDegrelleLDegrelle Member Posts: 74
    many thanks - now I just have to figure on what gets priority - the 3M film or the bumper guards. Both are big chunk of money. Someone mentioned the 'mangle factor' of the bumper guards on any pedestrians that are hit, but I have never hit a pedestrian yet have had many dings and nicks on my bumpers.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Or maybe you don't want a leopard skin car?

Auto Skins - digital clothing for your car (Gizmag)

Steve, Host
  • topdogtopdog Member Posts: 2
    I recently had Paint Protection Film, aka Clear Bra, installed on my Corvette. If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, I recommend Daniel Cook of Transparent Bra.com. Dan did an excellent job installing the bra. Had the mirrors, front hood, and bumper kits applied. Takes about 3.5 hours. The only area where you will see an "edge" is on the front hood kit. Yet, it is barely perceptible. Wish I had it installed when the car was new. By the time I was aware of such a product had 5000 miles and a few stone chips near the bumper area. When professionally installed you can barely tell a clear bra is installed.
  • jeep1988jeep1988 Member Posts: 40
    I have a few questions about mudguards and bug deflectors.

One: Do mudguards really help that much for keeping mud and dirt off the side of the car? Does is also help keep stone chips down as well?

Two: Bug deflectors, do they really work and are they worth the money?

Three: Does it matter if the mudguards and/or bug deflectors is not made buy the auto company, or are after market ones just as good?

Thanks
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    Yes
    Yes
    Doesn't matter. After-market, depending on the maker, is just as good and in some cases better than OEM.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Join the Eagle One team in a live chat event tonight to find out how nanotechnology is changing the future in car appearance products.

There's also going to be a special offer available only to those attending the chat. The chat starts at 9PM ET/6PM PT. Here's the link:

Eagle One Team Chat

Steve, Host
  • sigt1sigt1 Member Posts: 66
    plz, do not get a regular bra; invest in a clear bra; you should be able to get a complete kit installed for $450. That seems to be the market price. $700 is a ripoff. Plz do not be cheap and get a regular bra; they are obsolete and are actually worse than no bra at all. clear bra will fade paint evenly with the rest of the car and will not scratch it up.

thx

mike
  • chauncey1chauncey1 Member Posts: 1
    Re: the $450 vs 700 ripoff comment by sigt1. This person states do not be cheap and then states what his (or her) value is. I think the going rate is determined by the installer and the professionalism of the work. If the insatallation in top notch, then it's worth the premium price. sigt1 is placing a "preceived value" based on his, (or her), limited, and possibly biased opinion. I have had the Xpel/3M PPF installed on both of my cars and paid over $700 for each. AND, in each case, feel that I got the good deal. One is on a SRX that now has over 25K miles and zero paint damage to the front. The first car I have ever owned in 35 years that I could say that about. Go figure. sigt1 didn't even touch on the fact that vinyl bras really damage the paint they a suppose to protect. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, GOT THE T SHIRT TO PROVE IT. (Or in this case, the hood and bumper on my Stealth).
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, GOT THE T SHIRT TO PROVE IT. (Or in this case, the hood and bumper on my Stealth).

You could take pics of them and post to your carspace! :)

tidester, host
    imageDrive on over to my place!
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    :D Chauncey:

I think you are being a little hard on sigt1.

I agree with that post, since I had the 3M installed on my Porsche...and initially was quoted $ 750 , but all things are negotiable, this is true for most things. ( except retail..but they do self negotiating by having dicounts and sales) . I ended up paying only $550 for the whole shebang....all things protected...and a double layer on the front light housings ( each costs over $1000 to replace)

It pays to negotiate to get the best product for the best price. I go by the motto...buy the best product at the best price. :shades:

You may want to pay retail high prices :blush: ....and that is OK..but it is not only OK...but indeed smart...to buy quality products for less....since that gives one value...VALUE.

I think you overpaid :sick: ....not that there is anything wrong with it....but I do not think it is smart to rip some other post who advocates smart shopping.

Just my humble opinion..... :)
    A quote of $550 for 3M clear bra installation on the Odyssey. Am looking to see if there is a better deal from my first installer......

Last time he quoted $400 for acura TL.....

There are a wide range of prices....anywhere from $400 to $1000....depending on vehicle and how much the installer thinks you are willing to pay.

Installlation typically takes anywhere from 2 to 4 hours, depending on your vehicle front end complexity. He will need an enclosed space...and availability of outlets and water.....they can come out to your garage to install.

I had mine installed at the autobody shop...after all paint chips removed and paint was perfect.

....Remember, always ask the installer what their best price is...they may be willing to come down. My second installer lowered the price by $200, simply because I asked...and he was willing to come out to my home to custom install.....

hope this helps......
    Invisiguard installed on my Odyssey....

The installer was very nice...he said regular price was supposed to be $770...because the Odyssey has a lot of surface area to cover.

HE coverd all the front areas..grill, half of hood, both front end of front quarter panels...both headlights ( double layer) , both rear view mirrors, and both front door sides .... he came over from over 40 miles away...We gave him a gift for his kids..since he was so nice. The job was impeccable.

and final price out the door was $495.
  • ryancp76ryancp76 Member Posts: 3
    I am considering a bra of some sort for my brand new car. I found my first nick in it, so it has sparked my interest. I am very much on a budget so I am torn which way to go.

Vinyl Bra - looks like it might have problems and might not. Plus requires maintanence to keep in good shape.

Clear Bra - Will work great, but cost almost cost $500 to install.

I am all about protecting the car, but if it is going to cost as much as it costs to paint the entire vehicle, is it really worth it?

Suggestions?
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I had a smoke colored bug deflector (Ford OEM) on my '01 Escape and it looked good until it started to cloud (common effect on the smoke deflectors). Well I just got my new Bugflector II by AVS for my '06 Pilot and boy howdy does it look good. The clear makes it very low profile and after about 5-10 ft away from car you can barely tell it's there.

Her are some pics;
    (before install)

(after install)

you can see more pictures I took of 'The Beast' (yes it has a name, don't all cars?) on My Carspace.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • bcme136bcme136 Member Posts: 21
    (What I was really intrigued about was perhaps putting a 4" wide strip down the side of the car to protect against other goofballs opening THEIR doors. He didnt think it would cost that much (no real fancy trimming required). Any thoughts?)

You may want to check this out. Put them on my black Santa Fe, blended right in,didn't stand out like an after thought. Keep checking the site, I got mine for $99.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HYUNDAI-SANTA-FE-Body-Side-Mouldings-PAINTED-2007- -2008_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33654QQihZ015QQitemZ250191519433QQtcZphoto
  • zunezune Member Posts: 2
    Recently bought an 07 Odyssey and wanted clear bra applied. Numerous quotes in the Atlanta area from $650-900 for bumper/grille/hood/fender/mirrors (no headlights). Called Mike from Stone-X (www.stone-x.com) 678-367-1350. The address and phone on their website is outdated. They recently moved to Alpharetta. He quoted me $525+ tax. He was on vacation but had his installer Nate work on my car the next day. Application is excellent, with small gaps under the headlamps, but with edge coverage on the hood and fenders.

I am totally satisfied, hence, I thought I would share the info here for others.
This discussion has been closed.