Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    I saw the No. 1 volume dealer can do specials as low as 19K for LX in Boston area.
    But you're in Buffalo area probably add 1K(20K) - 2K (21K) on top of it

Currently Every 08 LX With MSRP $26,495 Lease $198 with $0 Down

http://www.boch.com/bochhtml/bochhonda/pages/HondaSpecials.aspx
  • cubuffinazcubuffinaz Member Posts: 3
    EXL Purchase for 26,200 + TTL
  • onthefly71onthefly71 Member Posts: 6
    Is anyone going for this with their purchase? It appears to be a total waste of $ unless you total your vehicle or lose it in the 1st 2 years. It is insurance against the depreciation encountered once you drive off the lot. The insurance companies (so the story goes) will not reimburse the total vehicle cost, and the GAP covers the difference (in this case the rep says initially the difference is 20% of the sales price).
  • sjoergsjoerg Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2008 odyssey exl r&n getting about 220 miles to a full tank witch is about 10 miles to the gallon is any body else having the same problem
  • jbirdfunkjbirdfunk Member Posts: 1
    Castilloca, what dealer did you purchase from?

Today (Aug 2nd) I have a quote from Norm Reeves for a 2008 EX-L for $27,328. plus tax and license fees. (OTD is $29,795).

Norm Reeves beats the pants off of anything in San Diego I've seen but yours is even better.

Any other So-Cal folks near or below the Norm Reeves please let me know!
  • odesseymanodesseyman Member Posts: 4
    hi
    i just bought last week 2008 ODYSSEY EX-L RES AND NAV.i had same problem. i got 230 miles for first tank of gas. I am driving well. No hard
    accelation or stop and go. But it is not high way. In manuel says 15-17 miles/gallon.My heated seats are not working. I am going to take to the dealer today.10 miles/gallon is horrible with todays gas prices $4/gallon.
    if your car imrpove any mileage, pl let me know,
    How much OTD price paid for your car?
    thx,
    W.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Possible the dealer didn't give you FULL tank of gas, there are 3 more Gal or so after the needle touched the "F". In other words, they fill up as the needle to the "F" instead of the gas gun click & stop.

Try again on your 2nd - 3rd tank fillup by yourself.
  • chode96chode96 Member Posts: 8
    I have read many of the great deals that some of the readers have been negotiating. I was hoping to get some details on purchases in the DFW area.

Many Thanks
  • bohligbohlig Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, that is very helpful. Do you think buying a 2008 now will be a better deal than buying a 2009 later this year? I expect they might be giving incentives to move old inventory, but of course having a later model year should be worth more depreciation wise...

Thanks!
  • onthefly71onthefly71 Member Posts: 6
    Is providing a full tank of gas standard with a new car (odyssey) purchase? I bought recently and was given the car on empty....
  • elmerfudd3000elmerfudd3000 Member Posts: 9
    The Honda MSRP vehicle info sticker in the window states 'full tank of gas' as a feature, presumably to stop dealers from pulling that trick. Sounds like it is not working with some dealers.
  • jgzjgz Member Posts: 28
    I'm looking for an ELX in great Houston, TX area. Would anybody in this forum share recent experience/lessons learnt from the dealships in the area? Thanks!
  • sunatasunata Member Posts: 2
    Can you expand on this? EX-L with leather, DVD, and auto doors? Where did you get this price? Thanks.
  • dlseekdlseek Member Posts: 22
    An EX-L implies leather and power doors, as that is how it is equipped.

We must assume that no DVD player was included, as that would be EX-L with RES, and the OP specified EX-L only.

From the title, I assume they are in Phoenix. Do you need a specific dealer?
  • gjigji Member Posts: 5
    Yeah, almost the same thing happened to me..

The initial sales guy said that "special financing is available".. But his wordings were cleverly misleading.. I was excited too.. But just before going to the dealership, I mailed the internet manager and explicitly asked if that price comes with the AHFC 2.9% financing.. He said no and also claimed that the email didn't promise that.. I don't know whether to pity these pathetic creatures called "car salesmen" or get furious..

I went with Crown Honda Southpoint.. after losing patience.. could have got it for 500$ less if I had pressed harder, but decided that 500$ is not worth the time and loss of sanity.. Final OTD price, as I had mentioned before, was 29.3 (3% NC tax) for EX-L with DVD without the AHFC financing.. And it gave me 21 mpg overall (in the mountains and highways mostly) with the first full tank of gas.. I was expecting less.. I am hoping that will improve further. I have drove at prescribed speed limits(except when I felt the urge to show off to some show-offs) and used cruise control 50% of the time.. Don't know if using cruise control is the best way to save gas.
  • derricksonderrickson Member Posts: 131
    hi jgz.... did not look for the EX-L specifically in Houston, but did make the rounds on the Touring, as well as the RES/NAV. We bought ours a couple months ago. We ended up buying from Gillman Honda SW... but not before I had emailed EVERY dealership in the area... from Galveston to Austin, to Kingwood and all points in-between.

I used the classic "Donkeypunch" method -- went to the Honda website, and sent same email to every dealer, based on distance from my zip. Said I was ready to buy, was aware of the $2K cashback to dealers, and told them my target to beat (which I think was invoice less $2k less a % of the holdback). Once I had my replies, I followed up with my top 3 dealers, and started the "dealer X is offering this, can you beat it". Did ALL of this via email. Did not mention a trade or how paying. They may try to add all types of add'l items (ie LOJACK, cargo mat, mud guards, tint, striping, etc) but I told them I only wanted the best/lowest price. Ended up getting several of the above add-ons included, b/c they were already installed, and I said I didn't want 'em!

I would just be certain you have everything lined up prior to showing up at the dealership. If they try to bait-and-switch, just turn around and walk out. Best of luck w/ your purchase!
  • alhurricanealhurricane Member Posts: 5
    In my experience, I was told after wanting to confirm that the financing was indeed good with the quoted price. So that is why I was even more furious after getting to the dealership and the manager told me that is not what was said in the email. They are dishonest snakes, IMO.

I ended up buying from Hubert Vester Honda in Wilson, NC. They gave me basically the same price as Autopark, but I even got the 2.9% financing. Final OTD was $25,600 for a Slate Green Metallic EX.

I cannot say enough nice things about Hubert Vester, they were honest and courteous. The entire buying experience was great and worth the 40 minute drive.
  • harry2harry2 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for all the info posted on this board.

Was happy with the deal.

Base price was $25,300

plus freight, tax, tag, dealer processing. OTD $27,200

$1,000 more if you want the Honda Financing deal.
    derrickson: Thanks a lot for taking the time to share your purchase experience. Did the dealerships you dealt with honor email offers? Or, did you ask a sales manager to confirm before went there? Just don't want to waste time arguing with salesmen.

We are actually not too far from Gillman Honda SW. Is there a salesman you would recommend? Again, thank you so much.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I may be wrong, but my last vehicle I purchased (08 Altima) a couple months ago had it on the sticker "full tank of gas". I have bought new vehicles off the lots in my life and all included a full tank of gas.
    Looking at a cash purchase of a 2008 Odyssey EX-L with DVD Ent. System here in Alabama. I have read the great posts here for guidance. Listened to the Econtalk podcast referenced by several and have used the donkeypunch contact template to start the process. I contacted 15 dealers Honda listed as a result of a zipcode dealer search, plus contacted the Costco auto buying program. The problem with the Costco program for Alabama is they use a Honda dealer in Tennessee, which has a stiff sales tax, which works out to 8.25% or so. That disadvantages them $1000-$1400 to start, even without me having to drive almost 200 miles one way. Even discounting for that, they are still high. I guess I could do the "no sales tax if you remove the vehicle from TN within 3 days" option (as I read the TN sales tax regs), which I obviously would, but then I risk a problem with the paperwork, etc. I have a feeling the Costco dealer price won't make it worth it, since there is another middleman in the process.

Of the 16 dealers contacted late Sunday, only 10 responded today, even with a late afternoon repeat message to the non-responders. One dealer said their prospect contact info had been mangled by the Honda system, so maybe there was an IT problem with Honda today. Seems pretty poor, regardless.

A number of the quotes came back with the "selling price," but came back with a complete OTD breakdown when prompted.

One, the Auburn dealer, said they only had one plain EXL left and would not be getting any more 2008s. This seemed weird, and kind of early. I asked the dealers I talked to about how many they had on the lot of our model/color, the answers ranged from 0-4, with one saying 0 but one was in production next week for delivery at end of month, would I like to make a deposit? That seems like a bad plan, if the dealer screw job were to materialize, as with the Lincoln plant production cuts, and my inability to get a clear answer on 2009s showing up (various people say Sep. to Nov.), I don't want to get too cute and wait too long, even if I think the economy will continue to slow down/implode due to banking problems.

I calculate dealer cost on the EX-L DVD to be $27,768 (invoice-3% of MSRP for total holdbacks+destination $670). Based on that, I rank the dealers first by OTD price, but then by OTD-TTL, to get an apples to apples comparison since they obviously have no control over taxes, title, and license (which is not quoted, only title is, I assume I have to pay that at my local license office when I get my plate). I also calculate markup over the cost I mentioned earlier. The range there is from 4.6% to 6.2%.

I would like to get down to the best price I have seen quoted here, $29,300 OTD for the same vehicle, in a similar sales tax rate state. This would imply a markup over cost of 3.34%. I need to move $630 lower.

What say the experts here? Doable?
  • satya589satya589 Member Posts: 6
    Hi

I paid $28,400 base price with Honda financing and mine had only mud guards as accessories and nothing else (of course plus Taxes, doc fee and license fee). But i also saved $200 compared to Spokane ($400 compared to Seattle) in taxes so it worth the drive.
  • multiplyby2multiplyby2 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry for the late answer. Prime Honda and Boch both offered that price.
  • mbrestonmbreston Member Posts: 1
    JGZ, your post was really helpful. I have not purchased a car in years and I am rusty. I am in the market for an Odyssey in Austin, Tx. I had not heard about a $2000 cash back to dealer prior to your post. Can you provide any other details.
    no worries jgz. happy to help. seemed like most of the email quotes i received were from the "internet mgrs" so i did not reconfirm. in fact, several of the emailed quotes listed every line item (ttl, etc), so i knew the exact drive out price. i have seen several posts from other regions where the sales folks did a major bait & switch once at the dealership; however, that was not my experience at all. when i went to purchase mine, i was in-and-out in less than an hour.

i will get you the contact we used at gillman, and post it here later. i think if you mention you were referred, it won't hurt. also, i would suggest getting your best price by shopping around 1st, and then get gillman to beat it. i don't recall if their initial price was the lowest, but they certainly were not going to lose the deal over a couple hundred dollars. i also liked that they didnt nickel and dime me for extras (cargo mat, mud guards, floor mats, pinstripe, even a couple extra headphones! were all included)

unsure if honda is still doing the $2K dealer cash, or whether the amount is now higher or lower? but our target was invoice less that dealer cash less a couple percent of the holdback. I got that target from a post on this board. i did a search in this thread for "donkeypunch" and learned a lot of helpful information.

since you're in the area, feel free to email me errickson@juno.com and we can discuss further, if you like.
  • liveandletliveliveandletlive Member Posts: 9
    Be careful with Gilllman Honda in Houston. I got a detailed drive out price quote for an 2008 EX-L w/RES by e-mail. Set appointment. Got there, told them was ready to buy and re-confirmed price. After selecting vehicle, when was ready to sign, surprise! they made a mistake and "price offered was for an 2007 Odyssey". I'm not interested in harming anybody and rarely post messages but just wanted other people avoid going through this experience.
    Hi, liveandletlive: Was that recent experience? What did they quote on the EX-L? Thanks.
  • tuxmasktuxmask Member Posts: 21
    Dealer name please!
    Did you do a trade in and what's the value of your trade in?
    TIA.
  • gjigji Member Posts: 5
    I am no expert.. but as I got the EX-L with DVD for 29.3, I'd like to chime in..

You said "I would like to get down to the best price I have seen quoted here, $29,300 OTD for the same vehicle, in a similar sales tax rate state. This would imply a markup over cost of 3.34%. I need to move $630 lower. "

It is not quite clear on what you are targetting.. Do you want to get a 29.3K OTD in state with 3% tax(like NC).. that is doable because I was able to do it.. if you want to get it for 28670 OTD in a state like NC, I am not sure.. will let the experts answer that.

The dealer I got from is a Costco dealer.. initially they quoted invoice+200 (30600?) before TTL.. I told them that I could get much better deals outside.. after several iterations they dropped down to 27,936.87+TTL.. just ridiculous.. I could have probably bargained even more.. but thought it wasn't worth it. So you can negotiate even with the Costco dealer.. but as you would have travelled 200 miles, they'd have better leverage there(i think).. for me they were 10 miles away.. I threatened to walk out when they tried to charge for the mudguard and pinstripe.. after going there.. your state of mind will be different after travelling 200 miles, I think.. you should probably not tell them that you are from so far away.. and don't let them know of your color preference.. they'd create a fuss about that.. and try to get a premium for that.. you can probably give them a fake preference to trick them into giving them your actual preference.. but i am not sure if it will work. They are diabolical!

the dealer told that the 2009s will be out around september.. not sure of the exact date.
    The incident happened in late May 08, about 2 months ago. The quote was $28,200+TTL or $30,230 drive out for the 08 EX-L w/RES. They asked for $1500 additional to the e-mail quote because of their "mistake" in quoting a 07 vehicle. I just walked away, I wasn't going to argue or re-negotiate if I can't trust them anymore.
  • sun_dancesun_dance Member Posts: 13
    So does that mean your price of $28,400 included accesories (mud gaurds) and all taxes, doc fees, and lciense fees?

If so, that's a great deal in WA!
    Thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't go up there without the sale's manager's signature on a quote, or even better, a faxed copy of the sales paperwork. I don't see them being competitive, though. I get the sense that some people using the Costco program at the end of the model year are leaving money on the table, thinking the Costco name somehow protects them from having to negeotiate.
    Thanks for the details. Why w/RES? - I was told you can have a DVD player installed by Sears for $300. Are you still in the market for a 08EXL in Houston area? The timing should be better than 2 months ago.
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    Had oil changed yesterday at dealer and walked the lot while waiting. They have 4 '07 Tourings with PAX on the lot! Wonder how they are going to unload those? They also had roof rack cross bars installed and the sticker had them at $495.00! I checked at the parts counter and the crossbars were $205.00. All of their other add ons were just as bad.

At least the oil change was under $30.00. One can't be too careful.
    You're right, it's not smart to pay $1400 for a DVD and a 115V outlet. But my wife didn't want to deal with after market add-ons. As for timing, it's a matter of luck to find a dealer willing to move inventory. I'm still in the market, may wait for the 09's to come in a month, there is plenty of 08 inventory around. I also started looking at the Sienna.
  • sjoergsjoerg Member Posts: 2
    paid 31,500 plus tax
    I can appreciate how miffed you must have been! I would have done the absolute same thing you did! For me, my situation was a bit different. I work with a guy who has purchased several hondas over the years (for himself & family) from the same guy/mgr over there. so when my co-worker found out I was in the market, he called his guy and told him my lowest price. the mgr basically told him I would not find a better price, to go ahead and shop it, and let him know when I had my lowest price, and he would beat it. So while I definitely wouldnt put it past the typical salesperson to bait-and-switch, I think what helped here was the pre-existing relationship my buddy had there. ;)
    Pre-existing relationship certainly helps a lot. I'm wondering if quantity also give you additional leverage? What I meant was 2~3 people team up and purchase from the same dealership at the same time. Anybody had such experience? Did that work?
  • xierxier Member Posts: 99
    Marinite - I'm also in the Bay Area - can you send me the dealers you got quotes through - Touring/no PAX.
  • nhnnmnhnnm Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased 2008 EXL RES. I had about six dealers that were pretty close. Emailed back and forth with them a couple times. Bought from joliet dealership. Lisle and Brilliance honda were right with them price wise. I maybe could have gotten it a little lower, but I was tried of messing with it. This is my price with the .9apr. I went with joliet because it was a little closer drive, and Mike D was very prompt with all emails. He also actually answered my questions, unlike some others.

Sale Price: $28,781.87 with .9apr and incuding dest fee
    Doc Fee: $150
    CVR Filing Fee: $25
    Non cook county sales tax: $2,145.98
    New License PLates: $143
    Total OTD Price: $31,245.85
    No, That was the base price. My total price $28,400 + 2315 (Tax) + 100 (Govt Fees) + 50 (Doc Fee) = 30865 with Honda financing.

I also bought Extended warranty for 1200
  • sunatasunata Member Posts: 2
    Not really. I appreciate the answer though.
    hi
    I bought 2008 odyssey exl res and nav. They told extended warrenty cost is $1800( 7 yr/100,000 miles) in fairfax va. delaer. Could you provide me dealer name and city where you bought for $1200 extended warrenty. thanks for your help in advance.
    thx,w.
    I got it moses lake. it its an exl without navigation and dvd
    Hey odysseyman!!!! You can purchase that extended warranty (7yr / 100K) for $1020 from Bernardi. website is www.bernardiwarranty.com They are a dealership up in the Northeast, I believe. ;)
  • fettfett Member Posts: 3
    I got a 7/100 from Zurich at Shockley in Frederick MD (Junction of 270 and 70) for 1300.
  • onelifeonelife Member Posts: 15
    Received quotes from all honda dealers within 200 miles of Memphis, TN. Went back and forth a couple times, the best quotation was from Wolfchase Honda for EX-L + DVD is $28800+TTL with special financing. Most of the dealers stopped at the $29000, some stopped at $29100 with the pin stripes, mud guards and etc. I think $28800 might be the best I can get with financing. Will pull the trigger this weekend if no other better offers.
  • ibaiba Member Posts: 1
    Hi Bryan-

I am about to sign a lease for an EX-L with DVD for 405 per month INCLUDING tax but 736.00 down (including 1st month's lease payment) for 36 months /12k miles per year. Plus dealer is giving me 500.00 cash to end my volvo lease one month early. I am also in So. Cal. (Price of vehicle comes in at 28,100.00 with this payment). I have called about 5 other dealerships and no one is coming anywhere close to this but I am also having the same concerns as your wife. What did you decide and what dealership did you go with? Did you have a good experience?

Thanks-

Iba
    We picked up our 2008 EX-L with RES DVD today.

$28,709.31 OTD minus TTL
    $574.18 AL state tax (2%)
    $16.50 title
    $107.66 county tax (0.375%)
    $29,407.66 OTD

As I mentioned above I used the donkeypunch method. I emailed 15 dealers with quote requests, worked them a little bit, then decided to shortcut the process, and sent an email to the 6 or so lowest quotes that the first dealer to my target of $29,300 OTD would get the sale. One dealer got back fairly quickly and ended up making the sale at $29,408. I continued to negeotiate with the others if a problem developed with the selling dealer, and got an out-of-state dealer 90 miles away to meet my target price ($29,296 OTD), so I would have been able to walk if the first (local) dealer had been a problem. The selling dealer had to trade an Odyssey to another dealer to get the color we wanted (at a cost to them as initiating dealer of $179). My third best quote was $29,611 OTD.

One twist for Alabama residents - you have to pay the 2% state auto sales tax regardless of where you buy, but the county and municipality taxes are assessed on where you take possession of the vehicle. We live in the unincorporated part of a different county than the dealer, with only a 0.375% tax. We went to the dealer, signed the paperwork, then the salesman drove the van to the handoff point in our county, where we took possession. We pay the county tax when we get our license plate.

The selling dealer, Brannon Honda in Birmingham, was a flawless sales experience. Excellent email and telephone communication. They have a lot of Odysseys on the lot and are willing to deal. No hard up selling or any of the dealer tricks I have read about here once we came to a verbal agreement on price. They also negotiated in a straightforward manner. They faxed a sales agreement to me signed by the Sales Manager. The vehicle was ready when we arrived, a quick round of paperwork, an orientation to the vehicle, and off we went for the handoff.

I think now is the time to buy an Odyssey, especially if you want a specific color, as they can trade with other dealers to get rid of an Odyssey from their lot. Supposedly, once overall dealer inventories of 2008 Odysseys drop to a low level, Honda will drop 2008 incentives, with the price differential the only incentive to purchase a 2008 versus a 2009, per the dealer. I noticed a fairly wide dispersion in the number of Odysseys on dealer lots. You can check their inventories online at the dealer website, to get a gauge of how much they will negeotiate.

This was a much nicer buying experience than our 2002 Odyssey EX-L with RES DVD. It was a hot vehicle so we paid MSRP off the truck. Then we paid $31,815 OTD. 6 years later we pay $2400 less for the same model vehicle.

Thanks to everyone who posts info in this forum. It helped the process a lot.
    My dealer gave me quote is $2000 for 8/120k from honda care for my 2008 ex-l RES and NAV.for 7/100k is $1700. Is it a good deal? i want to buy honda care?
    thanks,w.