Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Bug guards, protective bras & film

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think it's a bit pricy. I wonder if you could buy a roll of acetate film and cut your own. But it's not UV protected, etc. link

Most of the aftermarket stuff is 8-mil urethane plastic film.... ah, here's a bulk source: link - doesn't say whether it's wholesale to the trade only.

Steve, Host
  • sequoiasoonsequoiasoon Member Posts: 223
    I found a local shop that has choices / options. Multiple companies are now making kits, most use 3M film but in different thickness' and kit size / ease of use. The shop showed me Stonegard, xpel, invinca shield, and 2 others (sorry forgot the names) Do an internet search on each and you might find multiple dealers in your area. For my Sequoia price ranged from $250 to $850 installed pending company and kit size. The shop I found was through invinca shield site. The stonegard kit included "cups" for the door handles, door edge, lights (head, fog, parking, mirrors and the WHOLE front end (which is HUGE on the Sequoia) The difference he showed me between xpel and stonegard was the number of pieces / relief cuts. The expel kit had more pieces to cover the same area, easier to apply, but more edges / seams that can potentially lift and peel or visibility of seams. The shop had a sample of brand "B" that is trying to grab a part of the niche from 3M but the rep told him it is not as shiny or clear as the 3M but still a cheaper alternative if somebody wants it (no thanks). Most of the shops can also custom cut for other areas like rocker panels, door sills, top of back bumper so trunk loading doesn't scratch.

Personal experience: I applied some x-pel (bulk sheet, no kit avail) to my e-code "glass" H4 Corolla headlights 3 years ago. The film and headlights are still crystal clear! My hella foglights are cracked and pitted, and I'm on the 3rd Windshield during the same time. When I replace the fogs, I will DEFINITELY be ordering more film and applying it to them as well.

I figure after a while maybe they will just make it so you can use a paint roller and do the whole car (like the roll on bed liners for trucks) but with clear.
    Sort of makes you wonder why the film isn't standard equipment on new cars and trucks nowadays.

Steve, Host
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    The lady I spoke to did say they install the film in one piece, and they only make a few small relief cuts down very low on the facia, so there would be very few seems. I do think they're taking full advantage of the film's advantages over bras and this is evident in the pricing. They could probably install this stuff for less than $200 and still make a hefty profit. How much could one piece of clear film cost?
    From my link above, it looks like the 6" wide stuff costs about $2 a foot....

Steve, Host
  • rubicon52rubicon52 Member Posts: 191
    I had the xpel kit installed on my new 350Z a few days after I bought it because I knew that 350Zs (like a lot of new cars with the new environmentally friendly paints)are very prone to rock chips . Xpel makes one of the more expensive kits - supposedly has fewer seams. Just the xpel kit for a 350Z (without installation) is about $600.

The kit and installation cost me $1000. The installer came out to my house and installed the kit in my garage. After watching him do the installation (took him about 3 hours) I have no desire to attempt an installation myself.

The film is almost invisible. About the only thing you can see is the line where the film ends. The film actually adds a little gloss to the paint.

Yes, the film can be waxed just like clear coat paint. After about 2 months, I'm very happy with the clear film. I believe it's guaranteed for about 8 years. Far superior to a conventional bra. Just wish the price would come down.
  • sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    I have been using a front end bra on my car for about 1 month now. I put a good coat of wax on before installing it. Just took it off for the first time to wash the car yesterday. What a joy to not have to scratch dead bugs off the front paint! The paint looks great without any signs of damage or fading (I know it has only been one month but so far so good). The bugs wipe of the bra with relative ease. I put another coat of paste wax on before re-installing the mask.

I also like the way it looks with the mask on it (my car is desert mist in color). It makes it look sportier and separates it from other Accords driven my soccer mom's and old people (forgive my lack of political correctness).
  • kidevo1kidevo1 Member Posts: 31
    If someone had a $1000 clear bra job done on a car and got into a collision later on.
    Would the insurance companies reimburse the clear bra and labor?
  • lumranchlumranch Member Posts: 2
    I do a fair amount of freeway commuting - my previous Integra had a fair number if dings on the bumper and hood. I just had the x-pel bra placed on my 2004 - 330 coupe - silver. It blends in well and you can barely see the seam.
    I went with the extended coverage - front bumper, head lights, part of hood and fenders, side mirrors and door edges. The cost was $650. I checked out the x-pel.com web site and the kit was about $350 if you wanted to do it yourself. So labor is pretty hefty but I think well worth it you do lots of freeway driving.
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Last June I was rear-ended by a Blazer and pushed into a 1/2-ton truck ahead of me. My Prelude's front bumper cover (wearing Xpel) was punctured by the truck's hitch. The insurance company of the guy who hit me had to pay for the film to be replaced, which they did (NYS tort laws can be a good thing!).

I'm not sure that a driver would get the Xpel $$ back if they were found to be at fault. It probably depends on your state laws, the insurance company, your coverage, etc.
  • pulleydogpulleydog Member Posts: 61
    After seeing what 35K miles/year of highway driving did to my hood, I decided to protect the hood on my new vehicle that I purchased the beginning of this year. I'm not a fan of 'bras' but wanted the protection they provided, but I also didn't want to bother with the upkeep - especially in crappy winter weather. I really wanted the clear plastic film type mentioned here, but was too cheap to have it installed and too scared to do it myself. I did buy the x-pel protectors for my headlamps and foglights - they were fairly easy to install. But what I did get for my hood was a "Magnet Bra" from magnetbra.com
    It 'sticks' to my hood with the magnetic attraction of the bra. The material is similar to the flexible refrigerator magnets that a lot of businesses use to advertise their products. Unlike the conventional bra, dirt won't get between it and your hood, and it stays 'stuck' on the highway - no flapping. The front edge is secured by a flexible beading that 'clamps' the bra to the hood. They aren't made for every vehicle, and some new vehicles have hoods made of aluminum or alloy that they won't stick to. But the price is very reasonable - about $45 plus shipping. And I believe they are available in black and white. I did 'wax' my hood prior to installation. After 8 months, it and my hood still look great!
  • farkel4251farkel4251 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2003 Nissan Murano and began exploring the clear plastic coatings from XPEL and Invinca Shield to protect the front of my car. I've received complete price quotes from installers of both products and the price difference is significant. XPEL wants $1,000 and Invinca Shield wants $483 for the kit and installation. Can anyone tell me what justifies the cost difference? Is one dramatically better than the other?
  • sequoiasoonsequoiasoon Member Posts: 223
    Also check stonegard. If possible go to the installer and check the work on other vehicles. Some are different thickness, some include all the lights (head/fog/parking and mirrors) Some have more pieces which is potential edges corners that might peel up. Most of the kits I looked at where close to the same price when all pieces are packaged together. I plan to get a Stonegard for my Sequoia. The local shop does a great job, has all three to choose from. The stonegard had a 1 piece grill, 1 piece bumper (the x-pel was 2 or three for each) included door cups (for finger nail scratches etc) all lights, mirrors etc.

I also saw them removing an invinca shield on an X-5 that a competitor installed. it had many gaps, wasn't flat in many spots had bubbles etc. all from poor workmanship not product.
  • farkel4251farkel4251 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks Sequoiasoon for the information on Stonegard. Is there a webs site for Stonegard where I can look up information?
  • hoopsrefhoopsref Member Posts: 140
    try www.stongard.com
    Anyone install film recently? What's the price running these days?

Steve, Host
  • alibajalajaulaalibajalajaula Member Posts: 89
    In H-Town the dealership was asking for $595 plus tax for a 330i ZHP. I declined.
  • eman6628eman6628 Member Posts: 41
    I gotten my car about 2 weeks ago with the 3M clear plastic film protector on the front of the car, my car's color is silver, when the car heats up under normal driving condition, part of the plastic film have a brownish dust like color to it, but would go back to clear when the car cools down. Is this normal?
  • jeff1jeff1 Member Posts: 11
    It's designed to remove the bolb of the touch up paint? Anyone used it?
    I haven't tried it but have heard good things about it. Try an Advanced Search for posts like this:

bretfraz "Paint and Body Maintenance & Repair" Dec 15, 2003 6:15am

Steve, Host
  • vckvck Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a new Jaguar X-type and am considering getting one of these invisible products for my car. I have a few reservations, however, about:
    1) does the paint fade differentially in the portion that's covered vs uncovered?
    2) how long do they really last before bubbling, etc (I live in the NE so the weather conditions are not exactly friendly)
    3) do they damage the paint beneath them if they bubbly, fail etc and then what do I do??

Thanks for any insight.
    Lots of questions - need more personal experiences. Anyone want to share?

Steve, Host
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    Any comments in regards favoring one over the other? It appears they are both made of 3M material. Invinca seems to cover more but has more seams.

Anyone?
  • dreamstardreamstar Member Posts: 8
    I just placed and order with my local BMW Dealer in Concord CA for a 2005 BMW 330Ci Convertible. The after market BMW dealer installed car alarm does not include a motion detector because of a mounting issue with 2005 330ci Convertibles. Can anyone suggest a good after market car alarm for this type of vehicle that would include a motion detector or at least something that would include intrusion detection of the vehicle via the convertible top that would not void the manufactures warranty?
  • luvmymaxieluvmymaxie Member Posts: 16
    I would never again put a car bra on any of my vehicles. For one you have to take it off after it gets wet or the pigmentation on your hood will be messed up! The darker the color the worse it is! We learned our lesson years ago on our 1987 Mustang GT. It is a medium cabernet...burgandy....as soon as we took off the car bra it had a whitish pigmentation on the hood. My 2004 Nissan Maxima has 3M protective film on it. The hood, the fender's, the headlights, turn lights, the mirror's and the tailights have it. It may of been a pain to put on but it was worth it! It will not kill my paint or fade it!
    Melody
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might be interested in this discussion:

Security systems (Lojack, alarms, engine immobilizer, etc.)

tidester, host
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Does anyone know if the window deflectors for the Ford escape will also fit the Mercury Mariner????
  • jamiljamil Member Posts: 2
    another question:
    anyone know the name of a clear spray product that coats your license plate so that traffic cameras cannot read it?
    I'm not aware of a spray but you can purchase clear plastic covers that do the same thing.
    Look in the back of an auto magazine like Car & Driver and you'll find one.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    anyone know the name of a clear spray product that coats your license plate so that traffic cameras cannot read it?

Is that legal?

tidester, host
  • yukon2005yukon2005 Member Posts: 8
    I just got 3M installed on my 2005 Carbon Metallic Yukon. I was scared but I went to StarShiled and looked at some samples and was impressed on the white color but weren't sure how mine would turn out. It turn good, they a written 5 years warranties on the product and installation. 3M has 7 years warranty on the film. Expect a 3 hours wait. They have A, B, and C kit. I got the C and extra for under S400.00. The guy I dealt with was Ryan. You are suppose to not pressure your car and wait 24 hours before washing. You can was and wax as normal after the 24 hours. I will give 48 to be sure. It is a whole lot better then the plastic stuff that people put on their truck. Black plastic bra are cover up the beauty of the car. It might sound like I am advertising for them but I have done 2 weeks price searching. One place quote me 700.00 another 450 with the just the hood, bumper, fender and mirror. I have hood, bumper, fender, door jam, top cabin, mirror, and the back and front tire because I don't have a mutt flap, all for 400. Just do a search for StarShieldArmor. You will be very happy with the price. They don't open on Weekend so I have to take vacation to do this. I hope this help, if you have question, I will try to email. :)
    I would like to have the 3M clear coating installed on my BMW but the dealer is charging $695.00. Does anyone know of a place in the East Bay area near Walnut Creek,CA that will install it for less?
  • marcogonmarcogon Member Posts: 2
    There is a spray called " photo blocker" .
    There is also a website.
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    This may be the wrong question - but how does the cost of having paint chipping on the nose of your car professionally retouched every year or so compare to the cost of a bra or a coating?

I think that (quite often) the bra's and coatings are uglier than the problems they're supposed to prevent. You can't see paint chips from 10 feet away, but you're sure going to see that bra.

Sort of like when Grandma put plastic covers on the leather sofa she got.
    You'd be surprised at how invisible the 3M clear plastic coating is.

I doubt you could see it from 10 feet away. 2-3 feet, yes; 10 feet, you have pretty darn good eyesight. And even at 2-3 feet, I'd doubt you would notice it unless you were looking for it.

The clear plastic coatings are the way to go in my opinion. Once you have to touch up or repaint a hood, your value will decrease much more than the cost of the coating.
  • valleyclearbravalleyclearbra Member Posts: 1
    what kind of BMW? let me know
    2005 330Cic Convertable... Can you help me?
    3M has a "Where to Buy" tool at 3M.com

Find a Professional Film Installer

Steve, Host
  • sophieksophiek Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about getting a bra to protect the front of my Matrix from all the bugs and small rocks from the freeway. Does any one have any advise on where to get one and IF I should get one? I also read that it can actually damage the paint longterm, any recommendation?
    Thanks!
  • ilight4uilight4u Member Posts: 7
    I had one on my 2001 Chev Tahoe for the last 4 years - it was GREAT. However, don't let dead bugs sit on bake - they slightly ate into the film when left for a month one summer.
    Was it a name brand film, like the 3M stuff or StonGard?

Anyone with longer term experience with film, have you noticed any yellowing of the product?

Steve, Host
  • gkman1gkman1 Member Posts: 8
    I purchased the bug guard made by Lund.....I didn't think it was very well made and looked kind of cheesy. I returned it and bought the Bug Deflector II......this one looks great and was easy to install....paid $40 new.
  • ruskastudruskastud Member Posts: 34
    I just purchased the Wade (for '05 Tacoma) based on comments by owners in one of the other forums. I'll let you know what I think once I get it and put it on.
  • ruskastudruskastud Member Posts: 34
    Just got mine and when installed, the very ends of the hood don't quite go down all the way, but the hood latches no problem. I took it off, and noticed that the weather stripping along the lights and grill top make the hood fit real stug without the hood guard. Is this the way it is supposed to be? If so, I can see how all hood protectors would make the hood sit up just a slightly, and it is only noticeable by the quarterpanles. Just want to make sure I didn't do something wrong.....

Any help/suggestions please......
  • jtruckjtruck Member Posts: 5
    I have had a tough time with hood protectors on my 05 Tacoma. I first purchased the Toyota version and it came with only 3 of the brackets. The directions call out 5. We checked another box at the dealer and it also only had 3. Since the directions specifically state 5, I didn't think 3 was enough so I returned it.

I then bought the Wade per the good comments on the Tacoma forum. It mounted easily and looks good but the hood won't close. I called Wade and they said the hood is adjustable, but I don't see how. Someone else on this forum had a similar problem with another brand. I'm not sure how to correct it.

I agree that the weather stripping between the hood and the grill will make any wrap around (rather than bracket mounted) type fit very tightly. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm hesitant to do too much tinkering with a brand new truck.

Thanks.
  • hiyaqthiyaqt Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know where I can get Clear Bra installed on my ES330 in the Columbus, OH area at a reasonalble price? The dealer's price seemed really high.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Try to Google, Clear Bras...you will probably come up with other clear film companies that list dealers. I am sure another company clear bra installer will be able to help.
  • techman41973techman41973 Member Posts: 83
    I am considering 3M's clear paint protection material for my next new
    car. I know it is designed for protecting paint from flying rocks at
    speed. However, I would like to know from people who had it applied,
    how effective is the film in protecting your front bumper from other
    cars. (I also plan to get a custom piece made for my rear bumper). In
    the city I live in, I rely mostly on tight street parking. My last car
    became full of paint chips and scrapes on my bumpers quickly. Thanks
  • cthatchercthatcher Member Posts: 18
    Photoblocker spray, see www.photoblocker.com

Currently legal in almost all states. In states with broadly written prohibitions about altering or treating license plates it would be illegal but unenforceable because unless you get up real close to a treated plate there's no way to tell that it's been sprayed.

WARNING: This spray protects you against photo enforcement cameras that use a flash by increasing your plates reflectivity to a ridiculous degree . . . which makes your car an even better target for laser or Lidar guns.

By the way, who in their right mind would run a red light on purpose?

C.
  • cthatchercthatcher Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know if a tinted or black plastic bug deflector will cause paint damage? I figure it must since it provides UV protection to the part of the paint it covers. Does anyone have any experience with this?

:confuse:
This discussion has been closed.