Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• ar15ar15 Member Posts: 58
    Since I didn't get the optional package that gives you the leather steering wheel cover on my SR5, I looked to the aftermarket. I am very pleased with the leather steering wheel cover from http://www.wheelskins.com/covers.htm . It is fairly easy to install (took about an hour), and looks almost as good as a factory cover. I have the charcoal leather interior in my SR5 and the charcoal Wheelskin is an exact match. If you order one, the correct size is AXX.
  • oslol2oslol2 Member Posts: 4
    I just got a bug deflector for my SR5 and set of four window vents. I got them from TRUCKSTUFFUSA.COM. I am very happy with both products the bug deflector by EGR and the window vents by WEATHERTECH. The bug deflector is smoke color,contoured,slim and easy to install . It only takes about 10 to 15 minutes, you will need a phillips screw driver and 10 mm socket or wrench to loosen up the grill, and the deflector snaps right underneath the grille. You will also install two clear peaces of tape close to the ends for a set of clips provided. No drilling needed. The window vents are slim, smoked and easy to install. They snap into the window chanel. I believe they also come in light tint color that matches our windows. But please ask them before you buy them. Don't get ripped off at your local dealer. They wanted $180 for the bug deflector and $450 for the rear spoiler whe I called the here in NorCal. By the way my rear spoiler is coming from THESPOILERFACTORY.COM for $239 shipped and prepainted color matching my DESERT SAND MICA. Good Luck.
  • deviyiyadeviyiya Member Posts: 25
    Anyone interested in a 304 stainless steel tail pipe tip (exhaust tip) can order it from Brandsport.Com. I got it for approximately $50.00 while the dealer I talked to was asking $65.00. The sweet part is it is warranted by Toyota. The folks at Brandsport responded very quickly to my questions. The tip should arrive next week and it will make the Seq. very beautiful.
  • redsox5redsox5 Member Posts: 22
    Which deflector by EGR did you get, Superguard, Aerowrap or Hoodguard Wrap?

I'd like to see some pictures, of both the bug deflector and vent shades. Can you post some on the photo board?
  • robertbickrobertbick Member Posts: 28
    I got mine for $44 from http://www.toyotapartsworld.com
    Shipping was $7.95
  • deviyiyadeviyiya Member Posts: 25
    Thanks Robertbick. There is no shipping charges for orders above $50.00. No taxes either. By the look of things, mine came out $2.00 cheaper.
    We will both enjoy the upgrade.
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    Hmmm....got mine for $36 at my local dealer. Had to order it, but I'll post back when it comes in.
    That's a good price if it is the one from Valor Manufacturing Inc.
    Has anyone purchased and installed the Sport Pedals by OBX Racing? I like the look but was wondering about the price, how easy they are to install and how they feel under your foot. Are they larger than the stock pedals, are they slippery under your foot, etc. Thanks.
    redfox5, I got the Hoodguard Wrap. Unfortunately , I can not post pictures of my vehicle at this time. I wish I could. Anyway , it looks very close to the red chevy picture they have at truckstuffusa.com. Also , yesterday I installed the rear spoiler from thespoilerfactory.com.. They prepainted the spoiler and it matches my suv color exactly .Now my Sequoia 2WD looks like or better than a Limited Edition. I have the following options: leather,foglights,running boards, I link, floormats, cargocover, 6cd/10 speaker JBL system, rear privacy glass, tow package, 17" wheels pus my additions.
    Your Sequoia 2WD can't look like or better than a Limited Edition. You don't have those "Limited" emblems on the side. ;)
  • mebeastermebeaster Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have a website to point me to for (a) a grille guard for Sequoia 2004 and (b) a remote camera with small monitor mounted near or on dashboard to assist in backing up (I have arthritis and can't easily turn around to completely cover the rear window).
    Thanks for any ideas.
    ROBERTBICK: alright alright! I did not think or have intentions to hurt anyone's feelings. But taking in consideration what I have paid & spend on the vehicle it gives me such a great feeling that I have saved thounsands of dollar and still my SEQUOIA will look like yours ,maybe not better than yours ( If that makes You happy & no hard feelings please).
    FYI,
          2004 2wd Sequoia with the options listed priorly $33500
                                                             taxes,lic.fees,$ 3630
                                                        total out the door $37130
                                                       hood/bug deflect. $ 70 truckstuffusa.
                                            4/pc window /ventdeflect. $ 99 truckstuffusa.
                                      prepainted rear wing/lighted $ 240 spoilerfactory.
                                       DVD/ 10" fold down monitor $ 1300
                                                               grand total $38839
    And I still believe mine looks like yours and I for sure feel better than You with the money spent. OH , I forgot to mention, " no finance charges".
    I think you took it wrong, oslol2. I was only joking around with you. There were posts on one of the other Sequoia boards here talking about getting an SR5 with all the options like a Limited and paying less, so I was reffering to that.

Of course your looks like mine, and you also have a DVD player which I don't have. You did very good with that price and should be proud of yourself. I paid a bit more, but I also have 4WD which I need here in Upstate NY. I was planning on getting the SR5, but my wife wanted the grey color and neither of us liked the two tone paint scheme on the SR5.

Good luck with your Sequoia and no hard feeling please. I had no intentions to offend you. Sorry.

Bob

p.s. I just installed the Weathertech Weatherflectors last night. They were a [non-permissible content removed] to get into the window channels in the front windows, but they look great.
    Robertbick, You are a Gentleman! I am sorry I did not take your joke but for sure I am taking your apology. Robert you have a lucky wife and so do I , at least you got her the vehicle She wanted. A the beginning I did not want an SUV , considering their mpg, use etc. But my wife
    had falled in love with the Sequoia and every time she would see one one road, she would tell
    me to look at them and see how nice they were. Finally, months after, right on her birthday our 6 years old minivan broke down. That is when I gave up and decided to get one, with the only condition that it did not have to be a 4WD. I reality we did not need it considering that we live in the Bay Area and we do not have snow or mountains nearby. Now , she is very happy and so am I. Now that we own one I think that The Sequoias are nice and reliable vehicles. Robert, I think you folks made a good choice purchasing the 4WD. Good Luck and Happy Holidays. Sincerely, oslol2.
    When installing the weather flectors. I would advice anyone installing them in the future. To put at least two layers of masking tape to protect the paint from scratches near the mirror area. Because, it may be sratched with the end of the deflector also if it is neccesary, slightly file the end/corner of the deflector ending by the mirror side for easier access into the channels. I learned the hard way with the driver's side.
  • istargazeristargazer Member Posts: 9
    Check out http://www.hitchcam.com for a backup camera system. Audiovox also makes different camera systems with monitors integrated into the rear view mirror.
  • stevek80stevek80 Member Posts: 64
    Has anyone ordered the QA Rear load leveling suspension? The dealer said he's never seen a Sequoia come in with it.. Just wondering who's got it and if you use it or not.. Is it worth the extra $288.. Thanks!
  • istargazeristargazer Member Posts: 9
    I have the rear load leveling system and I'm not sure if it's worth the money (it comes standard on LTDs in Canada). It's not an actual air bag system where you can control the height.

From what I understand it's just a set of cargo coil type springs with a different shock absorber. Supposedly there's an internal valve that will allow the shock to "pump" itself up based upon the load you're carrying.

I haven't towed anything yet, but I have carried heavy rocks in the back and I can't tell if the load leveling system is working or not.
  • katzatkatzat Member Posts: 45
    Steve, once again your post has hit home with me. The load leveling rear suspension is exactly the option that has delayed the delivery of my (my wife’s) Sequoia. It will end up taking 4 months to get the truck. I ordered it with the rear suspension before she informed me that I wouldn’t be using the Sequoia to pull be boat (unless she and the little ones are with). Had I known that it would have delayed receiving the truck by 6-8 weeks I probably would have forgone that option.

I am interested to know if it is no more than just special shocks that will have to be replaced at additional expense on a regular basis as the previous post seems to indicate. Anyway, if you are interested in purchasing it, I happen to know that that particular option is currently in a production run in Indiana at this time, so you may not have to wait so long to get it.
  • sequoiasoonsequoiasoon Member Posts: 223
    I ordered the QA last year from a dealer in NC after all the NY dealerships said it was not available (and brought it by to show them after). I had to wait the 10 weeks also. The system is actually a different pair of shocks and possibly springs. I went through the factory service manual and describes exactly how they work. The shock has extra fluid reservoirs internal with a high pressure / low pressure setup. It works when you are driving by the action / position of the internal piston. It does work and I have tried it. You will not notice it when you put the trailer on (the rear end will drop) but within a short distance it brings it back up to std ride height. the increased load forces the piston past an internal valve allowing the extra high pressure fluid to move the low pressure side where it is needed to increase the ride height. Once the load is removed, it extends past the valve in the opposite direction releasing the pressure and letting the ride height drop to normal. Actually a very smart, reliable system with out all the compressors and sensors to possibly fail. Many friends have Expeditions and Navigators and all have had issues with the factory load leveling. With the Toyota setup I'm not worried. Technically it "should" be able to be added after just by upgrading to these shocks. I called the dealer with my VIN and my Aunts VIN (she does not have QA) and the part #'s were different for the rear shocks but I forget the price. I was disappointed originally when I found out that it was not a compressor setup but after reading about and trying it and knowing everybody elses problems, I'm glad for long term that I have this setup instead. Long post hope it helps you (and ease your mind)
    Hey Katz.. Is your wife's name Fran?? I was going to surprise my wife and decided against it so waiting the 8 weeks to get what "she" wants is worth the wait. I'm making her test drive everything else so she can understand what she's getting.. Right now she's going off of what I'm saying (which is 100% right of course. 8-) The problem with my wife.. oh does that open doors.. is that she turns her nose up at options. I don't need side air bags or running lights.. and what do I need that rear spoiler for anyway.. I know it would save me money going her way BUT she's doing it just to save the money.. not a bad intention but looks come into play when paying this much money.. an extra $500 or $600 isn't going to break the bank.
  • bp3959bp3959 Member Posts: 156
    For all of you who hate not being able to disable traction control, here's an easy solution(this is temporary and will not harm the truck). On the side of the brake fluid reservoir(clear plastic with fluid level markings on the side and a filler cap on top) there are two wires, simply pull out the connector(you should tape the end of the connector if you are going to do this for any extended period of time to keep out water). Check your dash lights and you will see that traction control is turned off. If you do this with the truck running, it will stay disabled until you stop and restart the engine. Surprisingly this does not disable ABS as I first expected. I've confirmed with my local dealer that doing this will not harm the brake or traction control system in any way.

If you wish to do something like this on a regular basis, you can simply hook a toggle switch between either wire going to the connector. When driving down the road simply hit the switch and it'll disable traction control, and then restart your engine when you wish to re-enable it.
  • mebeastermebeaster Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if anyone had an opinion as to whether grille guards are just for looks, or if they actually protect the vehicle and passengers if, for example, you hit a deer? I found a manufacturer (ECU Industrial Manufacturing) that makes a custom grille of 1.32" steel tubing, using cold bending and 2.39" 3-piece shaped cross bar which he says is actually protective, but costs $925 (black powdercoat) + shipping (which I think is from Europe). Sounds like a lot, but if it really protects the car and human contents, it may be worth it.
    I just hit a deer with my K2500 Diesel Suburban.. Deer jumped off enbankment and never touched the bumper. $4K in damages to hood, grill, lights, radiator, etc.. $200 comprehensive deductable and insurance fixed it. I was able to drive home but the radiator was empty. I've heard people hitting deer with grill guards that pushed the guard into the hood but not puncturing the radiator. Still had to get the truck fixed but not as extensive damage. I personally don't think they are worth it.. don't like the looks..
  • arslanarslan Member Posts: 36
    I think I'm going to purchase WAAG bumper guards for my Sequoia. I live in the DC area and have had my bumpers hit by other vehicles attempting to parallel park so many times I lost count. In other cases, my fender flares have been swiped. In fact, I'm missing a section of my fender flare. And just yesterday, someone side swiped my driver side doors. Of course, no driver bothered to leave a note behind.
  • ebluezguyebluezguy Member Posts: 6
    I'm currently lloking at new SUVs. I also currently have an SUV (MDX) with NAV and rearview camera and love it. Very disappointed that the Sequoia does not have NAV as an option. Anyone know if a good NAV with rearview camera could be installed in the Sequoia as an aftermarket item? I'm also considering the 2004 LC which comes with this, but much more expensive than the Sequoia.
  • gagirl1gagirl1 Member Posts: 17
    I recently bought a 2003 Sequoia, however I elected not to pay $1700 for the DVD system that they offered. I decided that was waaaay too much money. I'm looking for a dropdown DVd player that is less that $700. Can any player be installed in the Sequioa or will I need to buy one that is specifically for my new SUV. I'm clueless....as you can tell. Thanks for any info.
    I just went down this path as well.. A friend said he going to buy personal DVD players for his kids from Circuit City for about $100 each. That way they can all watch whatever they want. I've also heard about DVD in a bag systems. More money but it hangs between the two front seats. One thing I haven't been able to find out is if the DVD in a bag and play back via the vehicle sound system. With the drop down DVD's you tune in a radio station to hear the move over the system. Can't understand why the DVD in a Bag wouldn't do the same.. Anyone have any input on this?
  • yickwoyickwo Member Posts: 54
    I agree with Steve Koz. I recently purchased a '03 Limited and had the same delima. After much research, we ended up with a Toshiba 2500 Portable DVD player with a 9" screen (the best pro-scan player and best picture quality out there) and a MITO Suspension Theather and we could not be happier. The set up cost me about $550. Plus it is truly portable as we use it at home/away for the kids to watch their DVD/VCD's. I'll be happy to email you where I bought the stuff if you want.

With respect to playing the DVD player's audio through the car's sound system, you can use a device called audio bug or some type of wireless FM trasmitter that will allow your car radio to pick up the sound. It is about 25-35 bucks. I personnally do not want to listen to the kids video/music while I am driving, so the player on low volume for the kids in the backseat works just fine. When my kids are old enough to use headphones, the Toshiba player has two headphone jacks. No problems for me.
  • gagirl1gagirl1 Member Posts: 17
    Well I already have the video in a bag and it's just a hassle, takes up too much room in between two front seats. With it in between the seats it is difficult for me to reach anything in the back seat (two children- 3yrs old and 7mos). While the portable DVD player might be a good idea for some, I seriously doubt that would work for my 7 month old and I don't think my 3 yr old would be able to hold it herself. The dropdown DVD system is just more practical and convenient for my situation. I would plan on getting the wireless headphones so that I wouldn't have to always share the radio with them. So I'm still looking for a dropdown system....
    I'm sure others will be interested too. Please post where you got this system. It's ok to give the store name.. just no sales people names.. THANKS!
  • yickwoyickwo Member Posts: 54
    I bought the Toshiba SDP-2500 from 6ave for $478 plus $0.06 shipping. Very good experience with the store. (6ave is an on-line store.)

Mito suspension theater and audiobug can be bought from Dynadirect for $65 and $35 respectively with a combined shipping charge of approx. $10. I don't know how well the audiobug works as I don't have a need for one right now. Dynadirect is also an on-line store.
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
  • kinghookerkinghooker Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Sequoia on the way. Opted to purchase Video system separately. Found a sweet deal on a drop down monitor and dvd player. Sony
    Dream System. Website is www.sounddomain.com. Click into video systems. $729.95. Same system at
    Best Buy is on sale for $899.00.
    Thanks for the link.. Question I have is how big is big enough.. That system has a 7 inch. screen. There is an audiovox with has a 10.4 inch screen and several even smaller than 7 inches. I always go for bigger is better.. Just wondering in this case..
  • racheysdadracheysdad Member Posts: 19
    I went the other route and had two 7 inch headrest monitors installed. I researched everything and this was the nicest/cleanest way to do it. I talked to an installer at Circuit City and he told me honestly, that was the best way to go, even though they don't carry headrest monitors.

Some thoughts about flipdowns.
    - Anything larger than a 7 inch will block part of your rear view.

- Almost all of them have to be used in conjunction with IR (infrared) headphones and not able to play thru the car stereo. IR works great, but needs a clear line of sight from player to headphone, your kids turn their heads too much, use a blanket or pillow etc., and the audio signal is blocked.

- The flipdown screen sometimes will move around when you hit a bump or pothole and you have to reposition it.

- Flipdowns are obviously higher up versus the headrests, and I was afraid my little one (4 year old) would get a neckache, looking up near the ceiling for long periods of time.

Yes, I looked at all other options: portables, player in a bag, etc. and for me this was the cleanest way to do it. I spent 30k for our Seq and thought it was worth it to spend another grand or so to make it nice. I have 2 headrest monitors, with a DVD player and tv tuner in the center console. I also have audio/video inputs just under the center console's rear cupholders that I plug a Playstation in for really long trips. The kids can use RF (Radio Frequency) headphones or I can play the audio thru the radio.

For aftermarket flipdowns, make really sure whoever does the install is experienced. I saw one nasty install where part of the ceiling cloth was still drooping and the installer smeared a little glue near the edges of the unit.

We just came back from an 8 hour drive from Lake Tahoe to Los Angeles and it was great for the kids. The Seq is so roomy back there, it was like a couch in our living room. They watched movies, played video games, and snacked on munchies and drinks. I have a 12 volt cooler I got from Target and held it down with 2 small bungie cords and it was perfect.
    I too looked at nearly every solution and decided to go with the dual headrest 7" widescreens. One of the prevailing problems with LCD's is the lost clarity on off-center viewing. I was able to install the two 7" widescreens, DVD in the center console, VCR/TV tuner in the rear and an FM modulator for around $1200. This gives each child their own screen with the option of watching the same or different shows.(DVD/VCR). The 7" widescreens have dual inputs and I've got headphone jacks under the cup holders. Photos of my installation can be seen under the "Toyota Sequoia Owners:Photo Gallery" discussion.
    This is a tough choice. I would think that a drop down screen would stay where positioned since a moving screen would become annoying but I would think screens in the headrest would be steadier. When I spoke to an installer that puts in the DVD systems for the dealership he said the head rest screens, while they work really well, are the most stolen item from vehicles. It's really obvious that you have a DVD player installed and the headrests are easily removed. I don't like buying something worrying that someone might steal it but I don't know if I like the screens exposed all the time as well. For long trips you setup the cooler, movies, etc.. but for everyday use is it necessary to be exposed..
    Thanks Raddboy41, I emulated your setup after I saw the pics you posted.

Stevek80 brings up a good point. I also didn't like them exposed all the time. I found headrest hoods online, that covered the whole headrest, but I thought them not convenient to use day to day. So I purchased a cheap roll of carpet cover from an Auto Store and cut and stapled them to the headrest. It's basically just a flap that I secured at the "hinge point" with a regular stapler and hold closed with velcro stuck along the monitor's edges. I trained my kids to just pull the flaps down and then flip back up when done. The Seq has tinted windows, so at night you don't notice them at all and still can hardly see them during the day. I can post a pic if your curious to see them. I even got fancy and stuck a Toyota logo on them because they looked too plain...lol

We left the car parked all day at a ski resort with hundreds of people walking around and also every night at our rented condo's parking lot without any problems. Yes it would be a pain and I'd be royally aggravated if they were stolen. But I still preferred that setup over the flipdowns and I won't let fear of thieves sway me :) Plus that's what insurance is for ;)
    I got fancy and added another monitor in the front passenger area for my wife, amplified antennas (I need my football games..lol), and a built in power inverter. So in total I spent about $1800 I checked my auto policy and it covers $1500 for added electronics such as this or steroes and navigation systems. So I figure close enough for now, and when my policy is up for renewal I may add more if it's a nominal charge. Especially if I added my backup camera by then ;)

It was a fun project, I did most of it myself except for the electrical hookups, which I paid the Circuit City guy $100 to run. He even put in a noise filter so you wouldn't hear audio static when the engine was running. I'm very happy with my setup, thanks again Raddboy for the inspiration ;)
    I'd be interested in seeing pictures.. thanks!
    Happy to provide your inspiration Ron! :^) Yes, I've been looking to cover the monitors with some sort of flap system too! Mostly to protect them when not in use. Let's see the pics! As already mentioned, the privacy glass does a great job of hiding the interior contents and the screens are hardly visible from the exterior. The DVD is hidden in the console and the VCR in the rear hatch.
  • ar15ar15 Member Posts: 58
    I'm considerring installing a wood dash trim kit to my Sequoia SR5. There are two types to choose from either "flat" or "molded."

Does anyone have experience with these kits that they can share?

I know that when installing the "flat" kit that you gently heat the parts so that they will bend to the contours of your dash. Does the "flat" kit look as good as the much more expensive "molded" kits? Are the edges attractive on a properly installed flat kit?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    I had the kit from woodtrim.com in my 02 and it was really nice, high quality. Here is a link to my photo gallery. If it doesn't let you in let me know.

Photos

My new 04 has the Toyota (superior dash) pieces, which are molded plastc. They look decent, but not as nice as the real stuff I had before. There's pics of those in the gallery also.
    K...will do..I'll try to upload and post a link by this weekend.

And for the Wood Dash Kits, I also used the superior dash molded kit and they look great. This forum is a great resource, I ordered from the same place Gkatz1 ordered his running boards @ www.toyotaparts4u.com They do look a little plasticky I guess, but I like them shiny like that. I saw pics of the flat ones installed on a sequoia for sale on ebay and those looked really cheap. The molded surfaces cover everything and these are the same ones toyota uses so they'll look exactly like factory.

Gkatz1, do you remember the part number you ordered for the foglights? Is it hard to install yourself?
    I don't have the part #'s handy. But I used the stock light @$120 each, a Tundra dash mounted fog light switch, an aftermarket relay and some wire and small connectors. Actually putting in the lights was the easiest part (they snap right in). I got the plans from another site I frequent, but I'm having trouble finding where they are.

As for the difficulty installing....my uncle helped me out, but I could have done it myself with the directions I had. You can actually tap in to the OEM harness under the hood. The wires that go to the connectors in the bumper are present(You can see the connectors tucked up underneath), though you will still need a relay.
    Here are the pics of my DVD setup, along with other accessories and mods.

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid3485198

Gkatz1, thanks for the info on the foglights. $240 for the pair...wow...yikes! I just bought a GPS last month, so I have to start saving again. But I think I just found my next addon ;)
    You're out of control!! Walk away from the Sequoia and give your wallet to the wife!! :^) Great stuff my friend! Excellent work!
  • bqmdbqmd Member Posts: 16
    Can anyone recommend (online) where we can purchase a new rear spoiler for our Seq Limited (natural white)? Our garage door came down on the rear spoiler and put a 3 inch gash in it. We got an estimate for the repair...$781. They are charging us $453 for a new unpainted rear spoiler. The rest is labor and paint charges. BTW, this is at a Toyota repair shop. Any suggestions?
    Hey, when my wife complains I'll just tell her it's because you still keep inspiring me...lol Glad you liked the pics :)

FYI, for anyone considering a navigation system, they are worth every penny. Can't tell you how much time and frustration that thing already saved me.
    Try a regular body shop first. Spoilerdepot.com has factory matched spoilers painted for @$200. Other people have said they're nice. Lifetime warranty on paint and manufacturing!
This discussion has been closed.