Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• grossanatomygrossanatomy Member Posts: 5
    I'm still working on the modifications for my '05 Sequoia. Does anyone know where I can get clear corners? Thanks.
  • tlettlet Member Posts: 3
    If I have a DVD in the DVD player in the console and I press the "disc" button on the dash unit, the DVD sound plays on the system (when the igg key is on ACC or ON). If I do this when the engine is running, it says no-CD.

The low volume is for the CD and radio. Basically, if you turn it all the way to "max", you can hear sound at a "normal" listening level. The RSE has no video or audio when the engine is running. However, it works fine when the engine is off and the ignition is on ACC or ON.
  • belizebelize Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just purchased a 2005 Sequoia and want to put after market rims. I was thinking 20's nothing bigger. I live in Southern Cal. My question is. Is there anything special I need to know (Installation/tirrs size)? or any risks to running 20's?
  • czechm8czechm8 Member Posts: 23
    There are lots of things to know when going to this size of wheel. There are three major things to consider if you want them to fit properly and not mess too much with your speedometer and odometer calibration.
    1) overall diameter of tire/rim
    2) off-set
    3) back-spacing.

The overall diamter of the stock tire/wheel combo is roughly 30.5 inches. You can safely go to about 31.5 inches and not experience any rubbing on the fender or suspension components. You cannot go larger unless your vehicle is lifted. Keep in mind that any tire/wheel combo that differs from your stock diameter will affect your speedo and odometer. If you go larger, you will actually be traveling faster than your speedo says and you will rack up miles at a slower pace. Just the opposite with a smaller wheel/tire.

The off-set and back-spacing are very critical for an obstruction free fit and no rubbing. Off-set is the distance from the mating surface of the wheel to the exact center line of the wheel. Back-spacing is the distance from the mating surface of the wheel to the outer edge of the rim (the side that faces the axle).

I run 20 x 8.5" wheels with 10mm off-set and 5.14" back-spacing on 295/45/20 tires and experience no rubbing on the upper control arms or even lock-to-lock turns. That tire size is very, very close to the stock diameter. You could also run 285/50/20's without any trouble.
    Consult a professional to make sure your wheels are fit properly. You don't want to sacrifice safety!
  • grossanatomygrossanatomy Member Posts: 5
    Czechme8-
    Thank you for your responses to all of my posts. I had the skidplate installed at the dealer. They ended up installing it for free since I had to wait over 2 hours. I should have paid more attention to your posts regarding getting 22" rims. I went to two tire centers to try to get them installed, but in the end, the rims would not fit. They said the offset was not correct (I got Bazo B26 rims, 22x9.5, with an offset of 18). I'm not very clear of what offset means, but the technician said I needed a more positive offset, around 40. Anyways, I am going to return these rims and get 20x9.0 ones instead. Any idea on the offset I will need for 20"? It comes in offset of either 35 (with hub bore of 78.1) or 18 (with hub bore of 87). All of these terms are foreign to me. Also, any suggestion on the tire size? I was thinking of getting 295/45/20 maybe? You can check out the website if it helps: http://www.bazowheels.com/index.asp
    Thanks again for your help. :sick:
    Dave
    I would not go larger than 20's as you have discovered. Double check the bore sizes you mentioned. I think they are too small. Remember that Toyota uses a larger hub size than say, GM. The hub size should be more like 109 or 110 mm. If you are buying a hub-centric wheel, then the hub size has to be correct because the wheel is balanced around the hub, not the lugs. It's jut the opposite on the stock Toyota wheels, which are lug-centric.

The off-set is the distance of the mating surface of the wheel from the exact center line of the wheel. The back-spacing is the distance from the mating surface of the wheel to the outer lip of the wheel (on the side that faces the axle).
    My wheels are 20 x 8.5 with a 10mm off-set. If your wheel is 9" wide then you are adding .25 inches to each side of wheel. To place that 9" wheel at the same off-center distance of the 8.5" wheel, the off-set would need to be about 7mm more (.25"), so the 18mm off-set that is mentioned on the Bazo site should fit, but again the bore numbers you mentioned seem too small for Toyota.

I think you should really consider looking elswhere for your wheels. If you bought them locally, then they should be smart enough to know what will fit your vehicle. If you bought them on-line, they should be a little more heads-up too! You really need to find someone who knows what they are doing and are not just interested in selling you wheels of any size.

I got my wheels from these folks. Check it out:

http://www.weldracing.com/index.html

They are very high quality wheels, bred from a racing background. They are located in Kansas City, which is where I purchased my vehicle. The dealer had an arrangement with them. They also have a very good warranty on the finish of their wheels. My 20 x 8.5" wheel and 295/45/20 tires only weigh 1 pound more than the stock 17's so they are very light as well. I have the Espada 6 in their Evo line of wheels. I am very happy with them. They are not hard to clean either because of their very non-porous finish.

As far as size of tire........the 295/45/20's are OK. They are a hair smaller than stock, so at about 60 mph, I am actually traveling about 58.5mph. I verified this with GPS tracking. You would be OK as well with 285/50/20's, which are slightly larger than stock. I think if I had it to do over, I would go with a 285/50/20 because it looks a little better with more tire in the wheel well, plus your odometer will move slower. The Toyo Proxes ST tires I am running though are very sticky and handle well on dry and wet pavement. Better to have a good tire than the exact size you want because not all manufacturers make them in every size.

Good luck!
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I don't know anything about offsets or anything like that. Anyways, on my Sequoia, I have 295/45/20's and they fit perfect.
  • sequoiasylsequoiasyl Member Posts: 1
    I got my 2005 nav sequoia last week and love it!
    I am an engineer and a SUCKER for the newest technology. I really wanted to disable the region code that prevents you from watching foreign or copied dvds AND watch those dvds while driving. I did a lot of research and believe the Toyota nav system detects movement through GPS. Sadly, the only conclusion I see is to replace the toyota system with an import from Hong Kong that doesn't have safety hang-ups (EBAY ~ $800).
  • amtd1amtd1 Member Posts: 1
    Is there any product that we can use that will fit in the existing overhead drop down slot?
  • ranma22ranma22 Member Posts: 2
    I recently put 22" rims w/ goodyear 305/40R22 - it's close to an inch higher than the original wheels and about an inch and a half wider. Few minor problems I encountered: 1) when making turns over 60 degrees turn, the tires are starting to hit the mudguard and the screw. 2) turns over 80 degrees, the tire is hitting the fender well and frame. This is on a 2WD - if you have a 4WD, I don't think you'd have a problem if you set to lift off-ground. It is annoying for me sometimes when I make U-turns, but I think once it eats a bit of plastic off my mudguards and wear on my tires, the problem would go away - I'm crossing my fingers. May I add another thing, the gas mileage was affected - I'm losing about a mile per gallon due to more traction.

However, I recently put the PowerQuick for the fuel injector (it's a magnet that costs about $150 and very easy to install - takes about 2-3 minutes to install), and I'm gaining about a mile and a half more per gallon. I also installed a volt stabilizer w/ ground wires and gaining about 1/2 mile per gallon (takes about 30 minutes to install).

Overall, w/ your 20" rims, I don't think you'll encounter the problems. :)
  • ranma22ranma22 Member Posts: 2
    check out www.weathertech.com
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I heard that there are clear corner lught available on the Sequoia. I seen the pictures on cardomain.com. Anyone know where to get them???????
  • parshuparshu Member Posts: 2
    Hello czechm8,

So are you done with your sound system? How is it?

I have a 04 Limited 4Runner(V6) and recently got AVN-30D installed. I have been told that the subwoofer won't work as there is no amp output and in order to get it work I need to install the pioneer amp. Should I be going for it? Will it produce the same quality sound which was being produced by the JBL Audio system?

Thanks,
    Parshu
    No, still don't have everything installed. I'm going crazy trying to find the time to do it with a newborn baby in the house.

Does your 4Runner have a factory sub woofer? I assume you are powering your factory speakers in all 4 doors with your AVN unit.

The AVN30D is really no different than many aftermarket head units. It has a built in 4 channel amp that puts out about 15 watts RMS per channel and about 50 watts peak. It does not have pre-amp outputs (RCA jacks). That does not mean you can't use an external amp, you just need a Line Output Converter to convert the high-level output to a low-level output (RCA jacks) to feed your amp. You could also use an amp that has speaker-level inputs.
    If you are trying to compare the AVN30D with the AVN5435, then yes, there is a difference because the 5435 has three sets of RCA outputs (one for a subwoofer). It also has subwoofor contour controls.

Let me know what your intentions are with a subwoofer and I might be able to help. What is the Pioneer amp you speak of? A factory amp?
  • parshuparshu Member Posts: 2
    I am not sure about subwoofer. I have "04 4Runner Limited 4WD" model with 10 Speaker JBL Premiun Sound System. I had JBL 6 CD changer which is now replaced by this AVN-30D with a slot for DVD and one slot for CD/MP3.

Problem is that they told me that they can not plug in my subwoofer to AVN-30D and as a solution they asked me to put a some pionner amplifier (50W) to get the same quality of sound which I was getting with the original sound system. I have been told that my car has a subwoofer on the right side of the rear passenger seat.

Just want to understand what modifcation is this about and will this give me the original sound quality which I was getting with JBL system?

Thanks in advance.
    I don't know about the 4Runner. It may very well have a subwoofer in it. If so, they are correct that you really can't power it from the AVN30D. I assume that you have speakers in all 4 doors plus the subwoofer, in essence giving you 5 channels worth of speakers. The AVN can only power 4 channels with its internal amp.
    If you want to keep all your stock speakers, the easiest solution would be to run an LOC off of one of the rear door speakers to get your low-level source to power a small amp for your subwoofer. DavidNavone.com has some very high quality adapters to get your pre-amp level output. Not familiar with the Pioneer amp, but 50 watts is probably plenty to power the factory subwoofer.
    The sound quality with your factory speakers won't be any worse than before, except that your subwoofer is not being used right now. The only way to really improve the sound quality is to replace the speakers and power them with an external amp.

Think about what you want for the future before you go buy any of this. If it were me, I'd trash all your factory speakers and replace them with better quality and power them from a good 5 channel amp. The factory speakers are very average and can't handle much power. They can certainly handle what the AVN30D can throw at them though.
  • rgc1265rgc1265 Member Posts: 10
    Have a 2001 Seq with 2004 Limited rims; original tire size is 265/65R17. Has anyone used 265/70R17 as a replacement tire, or any other size? Any rubbing issues?
    265/70/17's will fit just fine.
  • rgc1265rgc1265 Member Posts: 10
    I've seen it in ebay for about $50...
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    The techs at the dealership need to check the diagnostic menu to verify if any components in the audio/vidoe system are malfunctioning. Based upon the info provided I suspect the RSE computer.... the dealership can check this out and call Toyota technical for troubleshooting assistance if necessary. ;)
  • siwardsiward Member Posts: 2
    Where did you get your backup sensors? I was searching online for some and the website I came up with that looked the best was http://www.reversebackingsystems.com They seem to have great promotions everytime I check on them. But I like to hear about a company before I buy. Has anyone bought from them?
  • siwardsiward Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for backup sensors to put on my Sequoia. Reverse Backing Systems has back up cameras as well as sensors. I think that is the company I am going to go through. I backed into someone last month and it is costing me waaay too much! http://www.reversebackingsystems.com if anyone knows anything about this company let me know. i like to hear good things before I buy from them. They seem pretty good.. good deals and promotions
  • aliminalimin Member Posts: 80
    I had my dealer install a 2 sensor ultrasonic back-up alert system from a company called Trilogix Electronics Systems from Ottawa, Ontario. Product is called "Driving Aid Wireless Vehicle Back-up Alert System" and my model is the BAT-2W. Two ultrasonic sensors are placed on the rear bumper leading to a main control box. That box wirelessly sends signals to the display unit, usually located near the rear view mirror. Because of the side air bags, mine is mounted on the top of the dash near the left side. The unit beeps when the Seq is in reverse, increasing until a steady tone means you're about a foot away from hitting something. There's also a display of distance, but I usually depend on the audio to keep out of trouble. It has been handy for parallel parking. I think it was around $200 installed.
  • rhaecklrhaeckl Member Posts: 5
    I need some advice please. What are thoughts on a grille guard for the Sequoia? I do take it wheelin-not that hard though, so it's would be mostly a cosmetic thing. I also would like to have a place to put some more lights, we live in
    CO. and do lots of driving out in the middle of nowhere and the extra lighting would be great. Also, if anyone would have a pic, that would be great.
    It's an 06 timberland jade limited. The grille guard would cover the the whole front end and be black.
    Thanks for the comments.
    :)
  • hcowgillhcowgill Member Posts: 2
    I'm about ready to get a 2006 Sequoia in next week and still have time to add the Nav system before it leaves the port. Is it worth the money and can it be keep up-to-date?? Also, who makes it? Thanks..Harry
  • slapperslapper Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if the Navigation and DVD in the 2005 Limited can be bypassed to allow use during driving. The DVD front monitor is what I am refering to during driving.
    Does anyone know if the Navigation and DVD in the 2005 Limited can be bypassed to allow use during driving. The DVD front monitor is what I am refering to during driving.
  • tourguidetourguide Member Posts: 190
    So, let me get this straight - You want to be able to watch a DVD while you're driving?! Perhaps you'd enjoy a good conversation on your cell phone at the same time too.

Just do all of us a favor and tell us what roads you drive - so the rest of us can avoid them.
    Very helpful comment. Mostly want my passenger to be able to input Nav while in route and for my kid in the middle seat to have a better view at a screen. And now that you mention it, it would be nice if the Sequioa had bluetooth for the cell phones like the Land Cruiser.
  • air21icair21ic Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2005 Sequoia and I'm looking to upgrade the sound system. Any recommendations, personal experiences or don't dos?
  • 6osubeavers6osubeavers Member Posts: 4
    I have a new 06 Limited arriving in the next two weeks custom built so I could get the luxury option with the 2nd seat as a bench as opposed to the quad buckets. Question is can the Nav. system come with the 3-1 JBL 6 disc. changer? I have 01 now and that has the changer and don't want to loose this feature. Dealer printout on this vehicle show a am/fm cd single disc. but dealer says its wrong anyone know whats right? Thanks
    We have the 2005 Limited. Got it in April-May. We got it built with Nav and premium sound. They said at the time we could not get changer. At present using single CD system behind Nav screen. A hasle when your used to a changer. Would have to be a 2006 change.
  • 6osubeavers6osubeavers Member Posts: 4
    thanks for the note on this I phoned the dealer this AM and they said that if it showed up with a sigle they will change it out and that this car can have a factory changer.
  • newdadneilnewdadneil Member Posts: 1
    anyone have instructions for adding an additional keyless remote to a 2004 sequoia?
  • hcowgillhcowgill Member Posts: 2
    FYI..I decided not to get the nav system. I thought for almost $2000 I would do better with the Garmin 2730 due out in Jan 06 for a little over $1000. And it comes with XM radio which for some unknown reason the Sequoia does not!
    If you have the JBL 10 speaker premium system, then you are in for a wild ride.
    The external amp is located under the tray in the center console. While it is an analog amp, it is turned on by a digital signal from the head unit. So the amp is useless without the head unit to turn it on.
    The three-way component sytem in the front doors is also an odd setup. Tweeter is in the sail panel of door, 7" woofer and 2" mid are located in the lower door. Crossovers are built into the factory amp. There are coaxials in the rear doors.
    Depending on what your desires for a new system are, you will be much better off replacing the entire system like I did. For the reasons mentioned above, replacing any one of the factory system components is difficult and the resultant increase in sonic quality will be small.
    Consult a local audio install shop for suggestions and find out if they have experience with your specific vehicle.
    Yes, it can be bypassed. Not permanently, but by a series of keystrokes to access a setting on the setup screens. It re-sets itself every time you turn off the vehicle.
  • silverbullet05silverbullet05 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I saw your pictures on your mods and was just lookng at the running board lights. I was just in the garage thinking how I could do this add on myself.
    I was wandering if you can help me out here. Where did you get the lights firstly, and how did you wire them in? are they wired so they come on when you hit the remote entry or when you turn on the lights or signals? If you have a play by play install method, that be fantastic. Really appreciate your help on this.
    Mike
  • jembatanduajembatandua Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2006 Toyota Sequoia SR5. The salesman told me they could install a 10 inch DVD, but today I was told they are not able to do that due to the the way the middle console is installed on the top of the ceiling. It is the kind that has a few compartments for sunglasses. Does anyone know if a 7 to 10 inch DVD screen can be installed on this car (email me with a picture)? Is there another company that can do it (bay area)?
  • ohvsequoiaohvsequoia Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Sequoia and went with the 2" levelling kit (Metal Spacer) on the front. I had the same concern with the CV angle. The cure was to add 1" spacers to lower the front differential (available from Total Chaos).

My goal was to increase travel, so I couldn't stop there. My next concern was the stock ball joint, so I replaced the upper control arm with Total Chaos arms which allow for increased travel with a much stronger ball joint. Of course the increased travel also means new Bilstein shocks and a limit strap. I fit 285/75/16 BFG KMs with minimal rub to the mud flap.... so they had to be removed and replaced with a chunk of mud flap off an 18 wheeler. I did not loose any turning radius, but there is a slight frame rub at full turn... not enough to bind up. The truck handles great on and off road.

Posted photo today with list of mods in the photo forum.
  • sequoiamomsequoiamom Member Posts: 1
    :shades: My kids have lost the remote to the factory installed DVD player. I called the dealer and the remote is $130.00. Does anyone know if you can actually control the player somewhere without a remote? Are there other places to purchase this remote. I also read that the newly purchased remote may have to be programmed? I LOVE MY SEQUOIA!!
    I think you need a dealer or audio installer that knows what they are doing. It's just an excuse because the dealer doesn't know what they are doing. Run away, fast! I have an '05 with the sun roof and a 15" overhead monitor, so it is definately something that can be done.
  • lait2000lait2000 Member Posts: 33
    See my posted #1101 on the problem section on this forum. I posted 2 procedures: one for transponder key and one for remote.
  • lait2000lait2000 Member Posts: 33
    Does anyone know where I can purchase the SMOKE BLACK chrome package?
  • kevykevkevykev Member Posts: 1
    Hello
    I am going to install 2 amp on the factory stereo. Does anyone have any suggestions where to mount them.
    Thanks
  • dcoxdcox Member Posts: 3
    Check out www.vizualogic.com for some other options. I have the A1000 model and have been very pleased. The replacement headrests match the leather perfectly. Installation is much less invasive and they can be taken out if you sell/trade the vehicle. A competent local car audio/video dealer should be able to do this easy!
  • mgsophmgsoph Member Posts: 1
    We lostm our remote for our sequoia also... What did you find out about replacement or using the palyer with out it?

• dawgs1850dawgs1850 Member Posts: 1
    I have a quick question. I currently own a 2001 Sequoia Limited with the JBL sound system. It sounds like both speakers in the front doors are blown, so I'm thinking about just replacing all of the speakers at once (with the exception of the tweeters). Has anyone replaced the speakers themselves? I'm not looking to spend a fortune, so it would be nice if I could do it myself. Also, if anyone has any advice as to what type of speakers to use with the factory head unit/amp, it would be appreciated.
  • baglebagle Member Posts: 5
    i dont know but i jsut put on a afe intake and love it and have had no problems
  • baglebagle Member Posts: 5
    I just put a AFE intake on my sequoia and love it. install was easy and the hp was a noticeable difference. and for a gas applications thats very rare. fuel mileage has went up about 1.5 mpg. on the hwy 65 mph iam getting 24 mpg. i have no check engine codes like i hear with the K&N. this was a nice couple hundred $$$ well spent. :shades:
This discussion has been closed.