Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dryandryan Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2003 Sequoia and I had the same thing happened to me. The door handle that broke was on the drivers side. My dealership told me that they had a batch of faulty door handles. They replaced it without a hassle, but now I worry about the other doors since they are not used as much.
  • chadrappchadrapp Member Posts: 35
    My drivers side handle just broke on my 2003 Sequoia as well. I guess I'll head to the dealer and try my luck at replacement.
  • tampamantampaman Member Posts: 9
    Just back from the dealer with my 03,,VSC Trac Off & ABS lights allwere on. They replaced the decelleration sensor. All 3 lights are out now. Vehicle had 36,050 miles on it. They did it under warranty. Whew!!
  • ar15ar15 Member Posts: 58
    One of my remotes stopped working. I replaced the battery and it still does not work. The dealership told me to bring BOTH remotes in to have them reprogrammed (I only had one remote with me when I was there).

Does anyone know what is involved in programming the remotes? Is it something you can do at home?
  • phelanphelan Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. Mine is a '02 bought it used. Inside driver door handle broke in half. Gee, only 150 bucks later I could open my door again without opening the window. :surprise:
  • bettybbettyb Member Posts: 1
    I've had three new replacement batteries after dealership said I needed a new battery. The old one never caused any trouble. Now if I don't drive for 2 weeks, it is dead again. What could be draining the battery?
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Not sure if you start the car within those 2 weeks, but not sure if any battery will last 2 weeks without you starting the car up.

Now heres my problem...I have an 04 SR5 and within the last couple of weeks, I started to hear a rattle that seems to come from th sunroof area. It's different than the sqieak I priginally heard when I bought it. Any suggestions?
  • vickruc1vickruc1 Member Posts: 10
    To Kennynmd--there's a TSB on the sunroof. I had the problem with my 2003 LTD. One of the maintenance techs rode with me, confirmed it, and they fixed it. They have to pull down the headliner. Mine took three days -- gave me a loaner haven't heard it since.
    Thanks, I called the dealer a coiple of days ago and they told me the same. However, he told me it would only take a couple of hours which to me seems very quick considering the noise. I'm gonna bring it in next week and see what they say.
  • tonimtonim Member Posts: 6
    That exact problem has been happening to me. The dealers can't seem to duplicate it.
    Lumber2,

Did you ever find the answer to your question?
    Lutto99,

What sites have you been reading in regards to the VSC & loss of acceleration problems. I seem to have a similar problem. Toni2
  • tk67triumphtk67triumph Member Posts: 8
    Anyone have a recommendation for softer tires for a softer ride? Our Sequoia has brand new Kelly tires, and they run like bricks. I'd like to consider softening the ride if I could with softer tires. Ours is a 2-wheel drive. Anyone have a favorite tire that gives them a softer ride that they would recommend? Thanks.
    Can't help you here but you may want to try the "tires" section here and there you can ask Connor that same question. He is a representative from The Tire Rack so he should be able to help.
    Toyota will probably tell you that Sequoias don't have this problem and you have to pay for a computer , many of us have the same problems with our trucks.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Find some summer tires or the A/S Bridgestone Turanzas...
  • roxlyroxly Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 LTD ran softly and quietly on OEM Bridgestone Dueler HT's. Unfortunately, they were lousy in rain and snow, not much of an asset in northern Wisconsin.
  • raymurraymur Member Posts: 29
    I personally wouldn't put Bridgestone (Remember Firestone) tires on my lawn tractor. If you want the best tires, buy Michelin LTX M+S. Your problems will be solved. Make sure you have them balanced at a Toyota Dealer.
    Vickruc...I just got my Seq. bacj from the dealer and they said they fixed the sunroof rattle via the TSB. However its not fixed and I plan to bring it back. My question to you is this...if you have your service sheet from the time you got the TSB done, what does it say? Mine says that there was a nut missing, replace nut and tighten nuts.
  • spike322spike322 Member Posts: 1
    Here';s how to fix this problem. Get inside car and make sure steering wheel is
    absolutely straight. Open hood and remove positive battery cable, leave it off for
    5 minutes, reconnect it and see if that doesn't solve problem....Worked for me. :)
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    You're assuming the stearing wheel position encoder is incremental, not absolute?

I know that the signal that it sends to the VSC ECU is absolute but I don't know if the actual sensor is.

And in the "for what it's worth" department it more important that the front wheels be "straight", even if the stearing wheel is (slightly) off-center. Again, assuming you're correct and it is an incremental encoder.
  • auto9999auto9999 Member Posts: 86
    I just noticed that all four aluminum wheels of my 2001 Sequoia Limited are corroded. The shiny surface has corrosion under the plastic coating and the rims are also corroded. Especially the rims around lead balances are bad. Rough finished surface has no corrosions. Did anyone have the same problems? I have manufacture's extended warranty - Platinum ExtraCare - still in effect. Did anyone have the corroded aluminum wheel replaced under warranty or under ExtraCare? :confuse:
  • austx_sr5austx_sr5 Member Posts: 14
    Help!
    Does your 05 Sequoia downshift while braking on a downhill to a point that the RPM's run up and then at the bottom of the hill you have to accelrate to shift back up another gear (and drop your RPMs)?

This is driving me crazy! Please let me know if you have this same issue or if it is normal.
    Thanks,
    Bryan
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Member Posts: 104
    My 05 does the same thing. It is trying to keep you from increasing speed while going down hill. I had an 03 before, and the new transmission seems to downshift a lot more. It is a good thing though, because it is always in the right gear when you accelerate, so there is no hesitation when you hit the gas.
  • brodybrody Member Posts: 4
    Help Please,
    Toyota dealer wants $40 to program the keyless transponder for my 03 Sequoia SR5. Ford puts the procedures right in the owners manual, Toyota wants you to pay. Does anyone out there have the procedures they wouldn't mind sharing?
    Brody
  • h2oluckyh2olucky Member Posts: 1
    My wife called me today and reported the same issue as she was making a left hand turn on a hill. The engine shut off and she had no steering or brakes due to that issue. Did you ever find out what caused the issue?
  • lait2000lait2000 Member Posts: 33
    Here is the procedure to program additional transponder key for 2003 and 2004 Sequoia

1) Close all doors
    2) Insert your MASTER key (BLACK) into the key cylinder
    3) Turn the ignition switch from LOCK to ON 5 times within 15 seconds (key end at ON)
    4) OPEN then CLOSE the driver's door 6 times within 20 seconds
    5) Remove the MASTER key from the ignition switch, insert the blank key in the key cylinder then turn to ON position
    6) While the blank key in the ON position, wait 60 seconds or more to allow the blank key register the key code
    7) after 60 seconds, remove the key. Open then Close the driver's door to end the process.

HINT: You can program up to 4 MASTER key(BLACK) and 2 sub key (GRAY). Make sure you purchase the right transponder key. 2001 & 2002 keys had different IC chip inside from 2003 &2004. The key for 2003 & 2004 cost about $34. key for 2001 & 2002 is about $17.

Here are the instructions that I used them to program keyless entry remote for my 2003 Sequoia

1. unlock all of the doors in the car, open the driver's side door, and make sure the key is not in the ignition
    2. put the key into the ignition and then pull it out without turning it or anything
    3. within 40 seconds, lock and then unlock the doors five times using the power lock button on the driver's side door.
    4. close the door and then open it again
    5. within 40 seconds lock and then unlock the doors five times again using the power lock button.
    6. Put the key into the ignition and turn it to the on position (not acc and not far enough to actually start the engine) and then back to the off position, then back to on and back to off.
    7. Pull the key out of the ignition
    8. If you are successful, after about 5 seconds, the doors should power lock and then unlock on their own. If that doesn't happen then try again from step 1.
    9. within 40 seconds, hold down the lock and unlock button simultaneously on the remote for a second. Then release and hold down the lock button for 3 seconds. The power locks should cycle again once on their own. If they don't cycle exactly once, repeat this step from the beginning with the remote again.
    10. Repeat step 9 for every remote you want to program. You have to do this with any remote that were previously programmed because this process essentially resets what remote the car will respond to.
    11. Close the driver's side door to signify that you are done programming the remote.
  • angrysequoiaangrysequoia Member Posts: 1
    I bought an 05 Sequoia in January. It has been in the shop 3 different times. Now, at 5K miles, it's getting a new transmission. I cross the same 2 hills everyday of my life and the car spits and sputters over and back EVERY time. The dealership tells me there is nothing mechanically wrong (as i first described it as a "miss"), since the computer they hook up to it time and again shows nothing. Last week I made the service manager drive the car. He saw/felt exactly what I'm dealing with and agreed there is a problem, but possibly transmission-related. This week, they flushed out the transmission fluid and replaced, telling it it may have been something as simple as contaimination from some sort of particles. I picked the car up yesterday and guess what???? Spitting, sputtering, the same crap. Now, after me 1) raising hell and 2) them consulting with Toyota, they are telling me it is probably a computer/transmission synchronization problem - which apparently will be fixed by replacing the entire thing next week. And to think I bought a $40K NEW car so I wouldn't buy someone else's lemon. I am so hacked off I cannot stand it.
  • irishrover1irishrover1 Member Posts: 1
    I have just bought an 05 sequoia w/keyless entry system. Silly me thinking it was an alarm system. Well I see no mention of an alarm system as an option, or on a package.Too late anyway as we have the vehicle out of the factory. The tech at the dealer said they do an upgrade to an alarm system (I was asking them to reprogram my keyless to unlock all 4 doors on one click) " Oh can't do that unless you have alarm system upgrade. Well my dealer/agent/rep says she'll look into alarm upgrade but hasn't gotten back on price. Anyone got an idea how much it'll cost. Dealer said around $300.
    ps I don't want a Best Buy install as I was told they only crimp wires not actually solder them and 12/18months down road they are toast I want Toyota install for them to stand behind it..........
    Can you give the specifics for the replacement tweeters you installed in place of the factory tweeters? Do they fit in the same space on the door pillars? Specifically can you give manufacturer and model of replacement tweeters?

Thanks in advance

Ray
    I have a 2001 it came standard with the alarm system, if you look at the standard features on edmunds.com for a 2005 Sequoia, it states that the Sequoia comes standard with an alarm system. I think someones pulling your chain about the fact that you don't have an alarm system installed.
  • vickruc1vickruc1 Member Posts: 10
    To Kennynmd: The technician actually rode with me when I brought the truck in. My work order actually also stated that they had to replace nuts on the sunroof. The bolts and nuts that had to be replaced were in the rear corner o the passenger side. It's possible that mine took longer because I have the DVD system, rear audio and side curtain air bags. Not sure if that mattered. Mine was fixed properly on the first attempt though. Let me know how you make out
    They did do the bolt and tightened the res t of the other bolts up. However the noise is still there. I took it there the following week and supposedly they did everything they could and can't fix it. It's not a rattle or a squeak, more of a ticking noise whenever I go over a bump. They said that they ccan replace the sunroof rails but they have to get authorization from Toyota.However they siad by doing this it would void the warranty. I really didn't get into detail about this because when they called me to pick my truck up I was really busy at work.Not sure what to do now. My wife says she'll drive the truck since it doesn't bother her and I'll probably trade the Lexus ES300 in for a new car.
    Can't remember the exact modle but they are MB Quart tweeters. They fit exactly in the OEM spot. Allyou have to do is run find a place in the door for the crossovers and you're done. MB Quart does make various weeters but I believe they only make one that is the size of the OEM tweeter. You might wat to go to their website to see whicher tweeter. Hope this helps.
  • toyotawhotoyotawho Member Posts: 2
    I had passenger side rear axle seal replaced at 50K and driver side rear axle seal replaced at 75K. Should a $40K vehicle need rear axle seal replacements before 100K miles? I am disgusted with this car - it's my first Toyota - have always heard how reliable Toytota's are - what happened?
  • toyotawhotoyotawho Member Posts: 2
    Have 2002 Sequoia - just had to replace the driver side manifold due to a crack at 69K miles. Kept hearing this ticking sound going down the road. The manifold was the problem.

Since 50K miles, I've replaced both rear axle seals ($1200), driver's side manifold ($600), and now the transmission is roaring in passing gear (dealer says new transmission most likely). I can't tell you how disappointed in Toyota I am.

FYI - the Tundras (which I understand have the same engine as Sequoias) have a TSB on the manifold issue. Contacted Toyota support to get some help with the manifold replacement - can't get them to call me back!

It appears that rear axle seals, AC unit, brakes, manifolds, and transmissions are all BIG faults with the Toyota. Every site for Toyota problems has multiple listings of each of these issues.

Where is that Toyota reliability we expect?
  • jj35jj35 Member Posts: 283
    Mine actually had this problem (rear axle seals replaced) under 30,000 miles. The repairs were covered under warranty.
  • momnwifemomnwife Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a used 2000 Sienna XLE. Can your program be done the same way for our van? Also, do I HAVE to buy additional keys from them? Are they available anywhere else? The dealership wants $50.00 for each key, and $95.00 each key to program. Does this sound right to you? Can it be done another way for less? Thank You!
  • davedp1davedp1 Member Posts: 2
    Mccgregor: We had a tick noise in our 2001 Sequoia that did not change with temperature. It sounded like a leaking header on the left side. We took it back numerous times and finally it was traced to a simple hole in the firewall near the steering column that was letting noise in on the left side only. I would have sworn that the header was leaking. After the hole was fixed, the noise went away. Toyota had gone as far as replacing the headers on both sides before the problem was discovered. Check it out. Good luck.
  • davedp1davedp1 Member Posts: 2
    I have tried numerous different methods for programming my master key. A have one master key now, but the computer does not want to recognize the new key. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • brodybrody Member Posts: 4
    lait2000, thank you for the information. I'll give it a try.
  • dcj2004dcj2004 Member Posts: 2
    Auto door unlock. 2004 I read some posts, checked out my owner's manual...still can get the car programmed to unlock the doors when the gear shift is back in "Park". The manual says how to do it, but it simply doesn't work per the book! Help I can't stand uplocking the doors 15 times a tday!
  • dcj2004dcj2004 Member Posts: 2
    what I meant to say is...still CAN'T get the doors to unlock when back into Park.
  • chimemakerchimemaker Member Posts: 11
    I had a similar problem with my 2003 2WD SR5. The black primer under the coating was coming thru. My dealer contacted Toyota but because it was WELL after the 36,000 mile "bumper to bumper" warranty, they wouldn't replace the rims, even tho I had the Platinum Warranty! However, my dealer got Toyota to authorize having all 4 wheels "repainted". The color wasn't quite exactly the same, but non the less at least it was taken care of. They look fine now. Good Luck. Rob
  • teesimteesim Member Posts: 1
    what ever happened with your VSC light? I too have a 2001 Sequoia 2wd. I am having the same problem. My VSC & TRk light is coming on at will and when this happens I loose some control of the SUV and hear booming noise in engine- like something is loose. After a minute it corrects it self the car drives straight again but the light stays on for a while. The dealer could not duplicate the problem when they drove it and sent me on my way. I am right up against 60,000 mile warranty (57is at the time I took it to them. I guess once I am over it, they will be able to fix it. BTW what is TSB?
  • carlosmcarlosm Member Posts: 3
    I purchased my vehicle 4 weeks back. I've noticed a Pinging sound everytime I switch from Reverse to Drive. I've never owned a 4X4 and wondered is this was a normal sound or should I have it checked? I did notice the Front Differencial has small amounts of oil residue. Any thoughts?
    TIA
  • d_led_le Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm looking at buying a 2003 Limited. The car has side airbags on the A pillar. I can not find an answer to how far the airbag extends back. Does it extend into the 2nd row seats? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • vanacorovanacoro Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Sequoia Limited with 61.5K miles. Two weeks ago today, the A/C light began to flash so I shut down the system. I took it to my mechanic the following week and he told me the A/C was frozen and that Toyota has a TSB out on the problem. He told me he didn't think he could do the work as well as Toyota and recommended a dealer near my home.

I did some research on the Internet, including here at Edmunds. I found message #745, where the owner was pretty successful in getting Toyota in to pick up most of the bill. I took that information, as well as a copy of the TSB and e-mailed the Customer Service Manager of the local dealer. I heard back a day later from one of his Service Advisors and made an appointment to bring the Sequoia in to the dealer.

He called later that morning and told me that while he thought Toyota Corporate would pay for the parts, I'd be responsible for the labor. While not the happiest scenario, it was much better than me paying the full $2K bill.

He called back 30 minutes later and 'mentioned' that I needed my 60K maintenance cycle. He then STRONGLY suggested that if I let them do the work, he'd fight the good fight with Toyota Corporate and get them to pick up the ENTIRE A/C repair. I agreed (I'm sure he had already done that negotiation before he called me back).

And, while a 60K maintenance is not cheap (timing chain, etc.), I got that work done for less than $1K AND did not pay a cent for the A/C repair, even though I am NOT the original owner and the repair technically fell outside Toyota's stated 3 yr./36K warrenty.

When I picked the SUV up, I asked him point-blank about the free A/C repair. He said his boss did not care WHO paid them, the customer or Toyota Corporate. Once he knew he was getting paid, they wanted to get some $'s from me, if they could. He SAID that if I had declined the maintenance, I still would not have paid a cent and he seems like an honest fellow. Who really knows, all I know is my A/C is repaired, under a repair warrenty, my 60K maintenance is completed!

Thanks to those who posted here. This site got me engaged in problem solving and I saved myself $2K!

TK Vanacoro
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    vanacoro good work, but I think the timing belt replacement is scheduled at 90,000 not 60,000. You might have paid for this sooner than needed.
  • lait2000lait2000 Member Posts: 33
    I don't think that I am allowing to leave any website on the forums so please leave your email here. I will send you the TOYOTA dealer on line. You can view the price and purchase TOYOTA key on line. I don't know how much for 2000 Sienna's key but 2001 and 2002 Sequoia blank key is about $17 each. I guessed your key probably is about the same price. For the Program procedure, I will send you a link as well.