Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• atsats Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 4x4 Sequoia does the same exact thing! In my case, I've noticed that the "shifting/surges" typically occur right as you start to release the brake from a stop but before you give the truck any gas.

Problem is, it doesn't do it everytime and is not predictable. I've tried getting our service dept to investigate, but they can't find anything wrong and have never actually experienced it (despite me driving the tech around for 15min).

I had resigned to waiting for the symptoms to get worse, so they could identify the problem. Unfortunately, or fortunately (depending on how you look at it) the problem hasn't really changed in frequency or severity.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone ever fix it?
  • zephyritezephyrite Member Posts: 1
    Hi ya! I have an '01 Sequoia, and I have the same problem with the forward surge at stops. I took mine in to the dealer, and the guy said it was normal for all of the Sequoias and Tundras. Unfortunately, I can't remember what all of the technical jargon was, but it had something to do with the rear-end springs and the load 'releasing'. He said it happened in his Tundra, too, and that it is nothing to worry about. Hope that helps! :)
  • gracie57gracie57 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Sequoia with 49,000. My VSC, Trac Control and ABS lights all came on. I was told it would cost 1200 to fix, that master cylinder went out. Dealership was then talked down to half that. Am I the only one having this problem?? Car is just two years old!! This is my 3rd Toyota and they've all had a few problems, but none like this.
  • gracie57gracie57 Member Posts: 2
    Both of my remotes went out. Two different dealerships told me I had to replace both remotes at 30+ a piece, plus another 40 to reprogram them!!!
  • cfd firemancfd fireman Member Posts: 6
    here is the Toyota technical bullitan for the problem

Some customers may complain of excessive sulfur dioxide odor on 2003–2004
    model year 4Runner (1GR–FE) vehicles under the following conditions:
    �� Stop and go driving.
    �� Heavy acceleration.
    In order to reduce the sulfur dioxide odor, the Electronic Control Module (ECM)
    (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) fuel cut control logic has been modified and
    a new catalyst is provided. Follow the repair procedure to reflash the ECM and replace
    the catalytic converter assembly.
    NOTE:
    For more complete understanding of the root cause, refer to TSB No. EG003–03
    “Sulfur Odor From Exhaust,” dated February 24, 2003.
    �� 2003 – 2004 model year 4Runner vehicles equipped with the 1GR–FE engine
    produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.
    MODEL PLANT ENGINE DRIVETRAIN PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN
    Tahara
    2WD JTEZU##R#40026890
    4Runner
    V6
    4WD JTEBU##R#40032900
    Hino
    2WD JTEZU##R#48015332
    4WD JTEBU##R#48019048
    OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OFP T1 T2
    EG4004 Recalibrate ECM (PCM) Engine 0.8 17410–31380
    60 99
    Combo A R & R Catalytic Converter Assembly #1 & #2 0.4
    17450–31010
    Applicable Warranty*:
    This repair is covered under the Toyota Specified Major Emission Control Component
    Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs
    first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
    * Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.
    ENGINE
    Introduction
    Applicable
    Vehicles
    Production
    Change
    Information
    Warranty
    Information
    EXCESSIVE SULFUR DIOXIDE ODOR – EG015-04 May 27, 2004
    Page 2 of 4
    ORIGINAL PART NUMBER* REPAIR PART NUMBER* PART NAME QTY
    17410–31380 17410–31480 Pipe Assembly, Exhaust Front 1
    17450–31010 17450–31050 Pipe Assembly, Exhaust Front #2 1
    * The original parts (17410–31380 and 17450–31010) are currently used in vehicle production and are still
    available as service parts. The repair parts (17410–31480 and 17450–31050) should be used when the
    customer complains of sulfur dioxide odor.
    PREVIOUS PART NUMBER CURRENT PART NUMBER PART NAME QTY
    N/A 00451–00001–LBL Authorized Modification Labels 1
    NOTE:
    Authorized Modification Labels may be ordered in packages of 25 from the
    Materials Distribution Center (MDC) through Dealer Daily or by calling the
    MDC at 1–800–622–2033.
    SPECIAL SERVICE TOOLS (SSTs) PART NUMBER QUANTITY
    Toyota Diagnostic Tester Kit*
    01001271 1
    12 Megabyte Diagnostic Tester Program Card
    with version 10.2a Software (or later)* 01002593-005 1
    * Essential SSTs.
    NOTE:
    Additional Diagnostic Tester Kits, Program Cards or other SSTs may be ordered by
    calling SPX/OTC at 1-800-933-8335.
    MODEL YEAR PREVIOUS CALIBRATION ID NUMBERS
    NEW CALIBRATION
    ID NUMBER
    2003 2WD
    Main 33519000
    Sub 53505000 53512000
    2003 4WD
    Main 33520000
    Sub 53506000 53513000
    2004 2WD Main 33529000
    2004 4WD Main 33530000
    NOTE:
    2003 model year 4Runner vehicles, which have been flash reprogrammed using the
    procedures in this TSB, will contain upgraded 2004 model year OBD II logic. Refer to
    the 2004 model year 4Runner Repair Manual information on the Technical Information
    System (TIS) when checking Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) on 2003
    model year vehicles that have been reprogrammed.
    Parts
    Information
    Required
    SSTs
    ECM (PCM)
    Identification
    Chart
    Page 3 of 4
    1. Check for the Authorized Modification Label affixed to the vehicle in the location
    shown in Figure 2 on page 4. If there is no label present, proceed to step 2.
    2. Connect the Diagnostic Tester to the vehicle and select “CURRENT ECU CAL” from
    the “ECU REPROGRAM MAIN MENU.” To determine the vehicle’s current ECM
    (PCM) calibration, see Figure 1 shown below.
    Figure 1. Determining Current ECU Calibration
    ECU REPROGRAM
    MAIN MENU
    1: GET CAL FROM PC
    2: CURRENT ECU CAL
    3: UPDATE ECU CAL
    4: CAL ON TESTER
    5: CLEAR CAL DATA
    A
    CURRENT ECU CAL
    B
    CALIBRATION ID
    Note: This Calibration ID is an
    EXAMPLE ONLY. Refer to the ECM
    (PCM) Identification Chart on page 2
    for a full list of Calibration IDs.
    3. Proceed to Flash Reprogram the ECM (PCM) by following the procedures in
    TSB No. SS002–01 titled “ECU Flash Reprogramming Process,” for 2001 and later
    applicable models.
    NOTE:
    Errors during the flash reprogramming process can PERMANENTLY DAMAGE the
    vehicle’s ECM (PCM). In order to minimize this risk follow the steps below:
    �� Make sure that the current battery voltage is no less than 11.4 volts.
    �� Install a battery charger and set on a low setting to assure that the battery voltage
    DOES NOT FALL BELOW 11.4 VOLTS during the reprogramming.
    �� If battery’s state of charge is in question, test with SST No. 00002–MP815–T,
    “Midtronics Battery Tester.”
    �� Confirm that the engine hood is up, parking brake is set and all accessories are OFF
    (i.e., audio system, A/C, interior lights, headlights, etc).
    �� DO NOT perform the reprogramming process until the engine room temperature is
    158F (70C) or less.
    �� Confirm cable connections between the vehicle and the Diagnostic Tester
    are secured.
    �� In case of Error Message “Cannot Go To Reprogram Mode,” refer to TSB
    No. SS004–01 “ECU Flash Reprogramming Error Message.”
    �� Do not interrupt the vehicle during the reprogramming process, keep all
    doors closed.
    4. Select the proper ECM (PCM) calibration file for the model year vehicle and
    reprogram the ECM (PCM).
    5. After completing the ECM (PCM) reprogram, the zero point calibration must be
    performed. Refer to TSB No. BR001–04 “Zero Point Calibration.”
    ECM
    Reprogram
    Procedure
    Page 4 of 4
    6. Start the engine and warm up the vehicle to normal operating temperatures before
    test–driving.
    7. Test drive vehicle to confirm proper operation and to readjust the ECM (PCM)
    “Learned Values.”
    �� Drive the vehicle using light to moderate acceleration in mostly stop and go
    type driving.
    �� Allow the vehicle to shift fully through all gears and at various shifter
    positions (D, 3, 2, L).
    8. Enter the following information on the Authorized Modification Label shown below in
    Figure 2 using a permanent marker.
    �� ECM (PCM) part number.
    �� New ECM (PCM) calibration number.
    �� Your dealer code.
    �� Reprogramming date.
    �� This TSB number.
    THESE MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN APPROVED
    AS APPROPRIATE BY EPA AND CARB
    DEALER CODE: DATE:
    CHANGE AUTHORITY: TSB EG015–04
    89661–35A30
    Replacement
    ECM (PCM)
    Part
    Number
    Calibration
    ID(s)
    TSB Number
    Date
    C
  • cfd firemancfd fireman Member Posts: 6
    EXCESSIVE SULFUR DIOXIDE ODOR
    Models:
    ’03 – ’04 4Runner (2UZ–FE)
    Technical Service
    BULLETIN
    June 14, 2004
    Some customers may complain of excessive sulfur dioxide odor on 2003–2004
    model year 4Runner (2UZ–FE) vehicles under the following conditions:
    �� Stop and go driving.
    �� Heavy acceleration.
    In order to reduce the sulfur dioxide odor, the Electronic Control Module (ECM)
    (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) fuel cut control logic has been modified and
    a new catalyst is provided. Follow the repair procedure to reflash the ECM and replace
    the catalytic converter assembly.
    NOTE:
    For more complete understanding of the root cause, refer to TSB No. EG003–03
    “Sulfur Odor From Exhaust,” dated February 24, 2003.
    �� 2003 – 2004 model year 4Runner vehicles equipped with the 2UZ–FE engine
    produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.
    MODEL PLANT DRIVETRAIN PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN
    Tahara
    V8 2WD JTEZT##R#40016279
    4Runner
    V8 4WD JTEBT##R#40037525
    Hino
    V8 2WD JTEZT##R#48004215
    V8 4WD JTEBT##R#48015016
    OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OFP T1 T2
    EG4004 Recalibrate ECM (PCM) Engine 0.8
    17410 50360 60 99
    Combo A R & R Catalytic Converter Assembly 0.2
    17410–Applicable Warranty*:
    This repair is covered under the Toyota Specified Major Emission Control Component
    Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs
    first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
    * Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.
    ENGINE
    Introduction
    Applicable
    Vehicles
    Production
    Change
    Information
    Warranty
    Information
  • jamesjaxjamesjax Member Posts: 1
    I experienced the same thing with my 2002 Sequoia. The trick is to get enough torque on the bolt and to use the correct socket. I used a 1/2" breaker-bar and 6-point socket. You may need either a cheater pipe to extend the breaker-bar. If this doesn't work try hammering on the breaker-bar (poor man's impact wrench) or rent an impact wrench at your local parts store.

Sorry for the delayed response -- I just joined the Forum.
  • mikenancymikenancy Member Posts: 5
    I had the exact same issue with my 2005 Sequoia. I just had it serviced because our CD player broker. I asked the service department if this was an issue, and she said it was normal since it's a truck (never driven a big SUV before, so I didn't know better). I'm going to pursue a little more next time we go in. Until then, I keep my foot on the brake very solidly, because I don't want it to lurch.
  • madbranmommadbranmom Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Sequoia, prior to getting the "Recall Notice" I took my vehicle in for an alignment. I was told it wasn't out of alignment. Does anyone know if this ball joint problem would cause abnormal wear on the front tire(s)? The Toyota dealership said no, a couple of mechanics and a brand name tire shop told me it would. Anyone really know? Please help. Thanks
  • folsom33folsom33 Member Posts: 14
    Disconecting the odometer!!!!! I can't believe this forum has shrunk this low. Whats next, do you want to sell it to a fellow edmonds member.

The engine tappit noise is common on almost every sequoia, when the engine is cold. Mine has done it from the first day and I now have 102,000 miles and engine is sound.

Same with the engine surge, mine does it only sometimes and I have only noticed with AC on (the engine reves higher at idle).

Disconnect the odometer, I can't believe it!!!!!!
  • branch15_5branch15_5 Member Posts: 44
    Did you get the problem repaired? If so, what was the cost?

I have an 03 with 47K miles, and have been experiencing the problem for the last few weeks. Very disappointing, esp. coupled with the oil pressure sending unit going out -- again. I'm choosing not to replace this one -- there's no guaranty that the 3rd unit would last any longer than the 2nd.
  • dwillisdwillis Member Posts: 3
    Help, are you still around?? I went the arbitration route and am completely pissed off. How do I find a GOOD Lemon Law lawyer? I'm in a small town in Montana. My Sequoia has been nothing but trouble since I bought it with 37 miles on it. It's an '03 Sequoia, Ltd., and I've had it aligned 6 times, new tires (Toyota paid), plus I had it aligned to the specs off this forum and it still drifts off the road. It's a pain to have to deal with after 21,000 miles and am still dealing with the same problem!
  • dwillisdwillis Member Posts: 3
    My '03 Sequoia has had 6 alignments and it still drifts off the road. I've had this problem since I first bought it in Nov. '03, so two years. They put on new tires after 5 alignments and tried aligning to the specs on this forum for a 6th alignment, but it still drifts. However, instead of drifting to the right, it now drifts to the left mostly, and to the right! I went through the arbitration process and was VERY disappointed. The result was that they would grant "repairing" the vehicle. I'm so pissed. Does anyone know a good Lemon Law lawyer in Montana? And, do I have to use a lawyer from this state? Please help!
  • solane30452solane30452 Member Posts: 1
    I am having problem with my Sequoia 04, it was thought to be a battery corrosion problem, when the truck wouldn't crank after several episods. But, I replaced the battery and the SUV after a week exactly would not crank at all. Have anyone experienced this problem. With battery corrosion or electrical problems causing the same causes and effects.

Help going crazy in Ga. and broke
    Solane
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Sorry, we can't post names of lawyers here, but perhaps this article will assist you.

Getting Some Lemon-Aid From Your Lemon Maker
  • czechm8czechm8 Member Posts: 23
    Find and alignment shop that knows what they are doing. Double check and have them set your alignment and follows:

Sequoia

camber: +0.25 degrees
    caster: +2.75 degrees (4WD) or +3.00 degrees (2WD)
    total toe: +0.08 degrees

These are within Toyota specs and come from a very knowledgeable source that works for Hunter. If this does not fix your problem, then you may indeed have an issue.
  • billsseqbillsseq Member Posts: 1
    To be honest with everyone, I'm very surprised at all of the complaints with this suv! However, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Since I bought my 03' Sequoia, I've noticed a vibration in the left side @ about 55mph. In addition, the rear window doesn't go down at all, with the dash button or the key in the back door.
  • islandboyislandboy Member Posts: 4
    my 03 had the same tappit noise on cold starts and it disappears as the engine warms up. Took it to the dealer and mechanic said there were 2 bad valves. The valves were adjusted but the tappid noise is still there. I think this is normal.
  • czechm8czechm8 Member Posts: 23
    It depends on your perspective. There are no vehicles with zero problems. The Toyotas are head and shoulders above most others. In general, Toyota owners are a little more demanding and expect better quality. Even though a stuck rear window is an issue, I'd much rather have that discussion than replacing a transmission or engine and having your truck in the shop more than you are able to drive it. All you have to do is hang around a Chevy Tahoe or Ford Expedition board and you know what I mean.

Take some comfort in knowing that the rear window thing on earlier Sequoias has been talked about and solutions are at hand.
  • branch15_5branch15_5 Member Posts: 44
    Good news on my VSC Trac/Trac Off/Brake warning light situation. The diagnosis was simply front brake pads that needed replacing and low brake fluid.
  • snoopy31snoopy31 Member Posts: 3
    :mad: Updating my front end problem. Have had the 05 Sequoia back to the dealer for the second time re: front end vibration between 60-65mph. Really gets bad at 65 and above. The service rotated the tires with a re-balance of all four tires(so they say). They then supposedly re-aligned the front end. Although it helped some but didn't completely cure the problems. Steering wheel still isn't completely centered and when I center it the car drifts off the road to the right. I will be taking it back to the dealer for the third time and this may be the beginning of a Lemon Law debate, however, I hope not but am prepared just in case.

This time I will have the service rep with me and will take it to a mall parking lot to prove that the steering is not centered. Oh and by the way did I mention that the gas gauge went to empty despite having 3/4 tank of gas!!! In my 30 years of troubleshooting electronics that indicates to me a bad sending unit in the gas tank. Has only done it once but it certainly will do it again. Just a matter of time and when. That will be a major job that the dealer will want to shy away from because it will require removal of the gas tank.
  • jcrichajcricha Member Posts: 1
    Was a solution to the center differential lock light problem ever posted? I am having the same problem on my 2001. I put it in 4WD yesterday and now the center differential seems to be "stuck". I found a reference in the owners manual that says if this happens drive straight accelerating and decelerating or drive in reverse. I've tried those but with no luck. Before taking it to the shop, I thought I'd see if anyone else can guide me on a potential solution.

Thanks
  • lverettelverette Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a used '04 sequoia and am new to this forum. I also have a '98 lexus gs300 that at one time did EXACTLY as you described. I'd be rolling along in the carpool line at my kids school and suddenly a kick surge...it felt as if i had been lightly bumped from behind by another car. This happened at very low speeds when just rolling without using the gas peddle. Since lexus also is made by toyota, i thought i might could share my insight.... I took car to the dealer and there was problem with misfires on one of the sparks. Havent had this happen since repair. Hopefully it is typical seq behavior, but if it wasnt happening and then suddenly started out of the blue like my car did, then Maybe your dealer can check this out for you. GOod luck.
  • lverettelverette Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a used '04 sequoia and am new to this forum. I also have a '98 lexus gs300 that at one time did EXACTLY as you described. I'd be rolling along in the carpool line at my kids school and suddenly a kick surge...it felt as if i had been lightly bumped from behind by another car. This happened at very low speeds when just rolling without using the gas peddle. Since lexus also is made by toyota, i thought i might could share my insight.... I took car to the dealer and there was problem with misfires on one of the sparks. Havent had this happen since repair. Hopefully it is typical seq behavior, but if it wasnt happenening and then suddenly started out of the blue like my car did, then Maybe your dealer can check this out for you. GOod luck.
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Member Posts: 104
    If your tires are worn more on either the front or rear, that can make it very hard to engage 4WD. Try doing it while stopped in neutral then shift it into drive. This may help.
  • meanfishmeanfish Member Posts: 2
    I recently have had two issues pop-up with my 2003 Sequoia 61,000 miles. The truck upon start off makes a stability correction noise (which sounds like the drivetrain is coming apart!) and immediately the lights come on and the stability control / traction control shuts off. The dealer states that two different computer modules: the Translate ECU and the Skid Control ECU have gone out at the same time. Secondly, I have developed a noise from the engine that I would describe as an exhaust leak or valve noise upon strong acceleration. The dealers recommendation was to upgrade to 89 octane. I don't feel real good about either of the solutions that I have been given. The upgrade in fuel didn't fix the problem and I declined the computer repair until I could speak with someone at Toyota. I am surprised at the amount of posts concerning this vehicle.
  • redfish4redfish4 Member Posts: 1
    I was a previous owner of an 04 Sequoia 4wd LTD. After a few months noticed the thumping problem when coming to a stop or just releasing the brakes and accelerating from a stop. Have heard it is a normal axle wrap thing and/or driveshaft issue. Also had an annoying vibration at 60-65 mph with a load on the engine (not coasting). Dealer couldn't fix problem and was annoying enough to get rid of it, plus wife wanted something a little smaller. Bought a 2005 2WD 4Runner, perfect vehicle no problems. I also later bought a 4WD 2005 Tacoma with similiar thumping issue as the 04 Sequoia 4WD, wonder if it it a 4WD thing.

Anyway seems we have added another member to the family and am considering an 06 Sequoia 4WD and wondering if the thumping and vib problems are still an issue in the 06's??
  • tonyd4tonyd4 Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact problem myself.
    I have a '03 with 62K miles and this just happened this weekend while driving to the store. Called the service dept, made an appt and dropped it off this morning. They called to tell me that it's a computer issue and will cost $1,282 to fix. I also have an issue with my gas gauge dropping to empty with 1/2 tank or more,only happens once in a while, they can't figure this one out either. I'm lost.
    Have you found any solutions to the VSC issue.
  • thirdsuv2thirdsuv2 Member Posts: 1
    I asked Daugie for more details and here it is...Thanks again to him.
    ======================================================
    There are white plastic ‘clips’ that hold the interior plastic trim in place. Each of those has a rubber gasket that sits between the clip and the tailgate. On my ‘01 Sequoia, these gaskets were rather thin and not in very good shape. I replaced them with some plumbing washers from the hardware store that were thicker and slightly larger (but not so thick and large that the clips would not hold – check this first.)

Also under the plastic trim are several metal access covers. These are held in place by a combo of clips and screws. The clips are the same design as above. The screws attach into plastic ‘receptacles’ and are therefore waterproof. The access covers have what appears to be standard weather stripping that is available in any hardware store or Home Depot. I carefully and completely cleaned off the old weather strip (which was not in good shape where water would tend to accumulate) and applied new weather strip. Then re-attach and everything is dry. Just make sure that the weather strip is tight against the access cover. Simple and inexpensive.

While you are digging around in there, make sure the drainage holes in the bottom of the tailgate (I think there are 4, if I recall) are clear of debris and that there is no additional debris in the tailgate that might clog the openings. Mine was pretty clean, so that wasn’t a problem, but it is easy to se that it could be.
  • curious54curious54 Member Posts: 47
    I HAVE A 01 SEQ LIMITED 4X2. I WAS DRIVING AND I RAN OUT OF GAS. SO I WENT TO A GAS STATION AND PUT IN A FULL TANK OF GAS. I TRIED TO START THE CAR BUT IT WOULDNT START. IT SOUNDED JUST LIKE AS IF THERE WAS NO GAS IN THE CAR. WHAT DO I DO? ANY ADVICE AND WHAT I SHOULD LOOK FOR.
  • suhdosuhdo Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 Sequoia with factory installed sun roof. The roof makes some squeaking sounds lately as temperature drops. Should I apply some lubricant along the machined parts?
    Does anybody have same problem? It was okay during summer time~..???
  • daugiedaugie Member Posts: 12
    Can't tell you about the VSC issue (but yeah, it is one hellavu noise!) As for the engine noise, I have 80K on my '01 and get the same noise. Check the exhaust manifolds for leaks. This is apparently a fairly common issue. I have already replaced the right exhaust manifold due to a leak. Nonetheless, my noise has not disappeared. I had a local mechanic listen and his feeling was that the lifters are just getting noisy. A problem of age (something I can relate to).

If you find something different, please let us know! Thx.
    If you search under water issues, you will find that a lot of water is funneled right through the tailgate. That can't help but cause problems back there. My rear window also stopped working a while back (1 year?), but I never bothered with it. When my water problems cropped up, I had to take the tailgate apart anyway, so while I was there, I tapped the motor with a hammer. Presto, the window has been working for about 2 months now. Sounds crazy, but give it a try. It's a lot cheaper than a new motor!
  • stimpsonstimpson Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: ">After reading about all these problems I am just wondering whether or not to buy a New 06 Sequoia! My other choice is a Cadillac Escalade. Is there anyone out there who can give me hands on expierence with the 06's Sequoias? Thanks!
  • meanfishmeanfish Member Posts: 2
    Update on my VSC Trac/Trac off issue. It went away! On it's own, which makes no sense to me. The system is operating as it should (I tested it in the snow we just got). I am very suspect of the diagnosis that I received from the dealer. I am still getting the noise from the engine on acceleration. Still going to pursue my case with Toyota.
  • jimmydavjimmydav Member Posts: 1
    I was just told by Napa that I can't put snow chains on my 2001 Sequoia because the struts are too close to the rear wheels. Is this true? Will cables fit? They are a lot more expensive it seems. I just want a set in my Sequoia for emergencies while driving over the Colorado Rockies in case the chain laws are in affect. Thanks.
  • roy13roy13 Member Posts: 2
    i am glad i found someone with the same problem. we purchased on '05 and found that the idle is so high thet it we are unable to stop the vehicle when it is on a slippery surface like snow or water. when backing out of the garage i was unable to stop, i had my foot on the brake and the back tires were still spinning, like a "whole shot".
    very unsafe. we took it to the dealer and they were helpful for the most part. they put it through several test and found all numbers to be normal. the servic manager said he had an 05 4runner that has the same problem. i feel it is so unsafe that 2 weeks later the vehicle is still there and i am refusing to drive my family in it. the dealer has supplied me with a loaner. i am pursuing this with toyota and will inform you of any details.
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Member Posts: 104
    Are you serious? If you let the truck warm up for 2 minutes the idle drops. It is the VVT engine. I have a Sequoia, 4runner, and Tundra, and they all idle high at start up. When the idle drops it idles at 750 in park, and 600 in drive or reverse. How can you feel that it is unsafe for something it does at start up for 2-3 minutes??
  • roy13roy13 Member Posts: 2
    the problem is that even after 2-3 minutes when i back out the rpm is at 1600 and it like having your foot on the gas at the same time. every vehicle i have ever owned never required 2-3minutes of warm up time before its ok to drive. my other vehicles have high idle when cold but dont push me down the street when idling high. i had an 04 sequoia and an 05 land crusier for loaners and those drove perfectly fine even after 30seconds of warm up time.unless you experience this problem it hard to understand the lack of control for about 10 - 15 minutes.
  • smyroadsmyroad Member Posts: 1
    "I have also noticed my steering has become very stiff when driving in very slow situations "

DANGER DANGER DANGER!!! Recall Notice see below.

One of my kids had the ball joint break off while exiting the highway. Luckily, nobody was hurt, but the Sequoia was severely damaged
    and has been in the shop for over 6 weeks now (I've lost count of the weeks)

Make : TOYOTA Model : SEQUOIA Year : 2002
    Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC.
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V225000 Mfg's Report Date : MAY 06, 2005
    Component: SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER BALL JOINT
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 768379
    Summary:
    ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, DUE TO A MANUFACTURING ISSUE IN THE FRONT SUSPENSION LOWER BALL JOINT, THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT THE SURFACE OF THE BALL OF THE JOINT MAY HAVE BEEN SCRATCHED. THE BALL JOINT MAY EVENTUALLY EXPERIENCE EXCESSIVE WEAR AND LOOSENESS, RESULTING IN INCREASED STEERING EFFORT.
    Consequence:
    THE LOWER BALL JOINT MAY SEPARATE FROM THE KNUCKLE CAUSING LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL AND A CRASH COULD OCCUR.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT SUSPENSION LOWER BALL JOINTS. THE RECALL BEGAN JULY 5, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.
    Notes:
    TOYOTA RECALL NO. 50J. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236.
  • ts2001ts2001 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for this information! Our 2001 rear door handle just broke and its 25deg. outside. Now that I know what this job is going to take I can plan for it. Thank you for sharing!
  • jerrydockjerrydock Member Posts: 29
    I have owned my 01 for a year now. I bought it with the following problems;
    1. no bright light indicator
    2. no D indicator light
    3. window in tailgate will not operate

As I read these posts, I see that all 3 of these problems seem to be prevalent in the Sequoia. I am going to try and address these issues with Toyota. I will keep everyone informed as to my progress or lack thereof.

Jerry
  • jackienyjackieny Member Posts: 2
    hi everyone. i have a 2002 sequoia that i bought as a certified used vehicle. It has a water leak in the cargo area, above the hatch. the water seems to be coming in thru the hatch hinge on the left side. the dealer said they fixed it once, but now they've had it again for a week and still cant fix it. any ideas out there? thank you.
  • kellykelly Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2004 Sequoia Limited with the in dash 6 disc changer. I tried to load a cd in the other day and it acted like it got jammed. The player then read error 3 on the face. I tried to eject but nothing happened. I read in the owners manual to try this, but it didn't work. It said if problem exists to contact my dealer. Is there another fix I can try before I have to go to the dealer or do I need to take it in? Anyone else encounter this problem? If so, was problem fixed in a day, or do I need to get a loaner? What can I expect? Thanks for the help
    My leak was lower, but the issue is that the tailgate is designed to take on water. I would not be shocked if your issue is the same problem I had. Remove the plastic trim in the area surrounding the leak. The trim is held on by plastic 'clips' that have a small rubber washer/gasket. When these washers get a little worn, it leaks. Go to the hardware store and get some similar rubber plumbing washers and put them on the clips and re-install. It is easy and dirt cheap. I would give that a try first thing... nothing to lose. Good luck.
  • ward6ward6 Member Posts: 2
    We just recently brought our 02 Toyota Sequoia (We bought it new) into the dealership to have the recall on the front ball joints taken care of and asked them to look @ our rear window because it has not been working in over a year and also our D indicator light has been out. We also needed them to fix our gear shift because it was real loose and not going into park very well. They said the rear window motor needs to be replaced. We had them fix the gear shift which they said was broken (cost - $450), but did not get the rear window fixed because it was going to cost about $550 and that seemed to be about double what we thought it might cost. (we rarely used the rear window anyway, but it would be nice to have it working) They said it would cost $100 to fix the D indicator light, but we didn't have them do it, but after they fixed the gear shift, they said they moved the bulb from the L position up to the D position, so now our D light is on, but we don't have a L light. Anyway, your email caught our attention. We would like to find a rear window motor and install it ourselves if that is the problem.
  • ward6ward6 Member Posts: 2
    We also had a problem with our gear shift being loose and not going into Park very well. Took it in and they said it was broke. They replaced shift sub assembly. Cost us $450. We have an 02 Sequoia with 97,000 miles on it.
  • lait2000lait2000 Member Posts: 33
    What year is your TOY? if 2003 and 2004 then read my procedure posted on this forum #1101. I posted both procedure for transponder Key and Remote.
  • frankt2frankt2 Member Posts: 1
    I just recieved a diagnosis on my VSC trac/trac off light that had come on during a drive to work but has since not come on again. The dealer said it was a swith on my brake booster that would effect the performance of my brakes in emergency breaking situations. The switch cost is $900 then more for labor. Has anyone had this problem or can offer help?
  • jackienyjackieny Member Posts: 2
    The dealer just had it for another week and the day after i picked it up, it was leaking again. right now i have it covered with a plastic bag (real hight tech), which is working temporarily - and it's pouring in NY today. I will try your suggestion - thank you and happy new year.