Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mikenancymikenancy Member Posts: 5
    You might want to have them check for recent service bulletins. I had an issue where I felt a front end vibration at 40 mph and up. A technical bulletin had just been issued on the rear axle bearing ... this apparently makes it feel like a front end vibration.
  • paliguy81paliguy81 Member Posts: 7
    tsipos what happened with the rep u met? did they say they would replace the manifolds ??
  • nothappy8nothappy8 Member Posts: 1
    We have also had major issues with rear wheel bearings. Have had our 04 Sequoia to two dealerships who made the rear wheel bearing repairs - the repairs (done under warrantee but taking an average of two weeks to accomplish) took care of the excessive noise coming at about 60+ MPH (the noise was always present even at low speeds), BUT after about another 300 miles of highway driving we are BACK to the dealership for the third time. We have Toyota National involved and expect that we will have to pursue arbitration if someone doesn't get it right this time. We did have a suspension expert test drive the vehicle and they said that the front bearings are also going, in addition to the fact that the entire rear carrier assembly needed to be correctly replaced, and that the tires were already cupped as a result of the bearings being bad. I've heard good things from mechanics about Toyota trucks but if you have this problem, you either need someone that knows the issue and how to fix it for good or you may have a recurring problem.
  • pedal2dmetalpedal2dmetal Member Posts: 19
    Hello Folks,

Does anyone know if switching to synthetic oil for the transmission and differential make any difference. I have an 04 4x2 Sequoia with almost 30K miles. I would like to know if changing the transmission and differential oil makes any improvement. Per Toyota, transmission oil change is not needed until my first service for 100K. I don't believe this for a moment. I would like to do what I can to keep the mechanicals going without taking it back to the dealer. I can do the work myself, but I don't have a baseline for changing intervals besides the manual.
    Thanks,
    Ed
  • dwillisdwillis Member Posts: 3
    I've had the same problem. My Sequoia is an '03 and the battery was just replaced, along with the terminal (?). They said there was a short. Before the battery was replaced I had a great deal of corrosion and dead battery episodes.

My rear windshield wiper motor is also going out. They have ordered a new motor. This, plus the battery issue has been going on for over a year.

I've had 6 alignments, a set of new tires, a new battery, new rear wiper motor, the VSC lights have come on several times and once, during normal operation, the skid control activated for no reason. They replaced whatever was causing the problem with two different remedies. I also had the ball joints replaced during the recall, which did NOT fix the "drifting" problem. My Sequoia still drifts off the road, but in both directions now.

I went through the arbitration process to no avial and am currently suing Toyota under the State Lemon Law and the Consumer Protection Act.

I've never had so many problems with a new vehicle in my life. And from the sound of the '06 Sequoia, I don't want a replacement. I'll take my money back, thank you!! I'll let you all know how it all :lemon: turns out. Thank goodness we consumers are protected under the law, these kinds of issues should not be happening on a new, $45,000 vehicle!! Jeez!
  • fryertuxfryertux Member Posts: 2
    Same problem here in my 01 JBL 6 disc player. I was told to disconnect battery. No results.
    I was told to try to insert another cd. No Results...
    I got on ebay to check for replacement and I really hate to pay a couple hundred $$ for a replacement.
    Any suggestions from you Toyota audio folks?
  • fryertuxfryertux Member Posts: 2
    Any suggestions for yet another jammed JBL 6disc cd player in my 01 Sequoia?
    As mentioned in # 1386 fr Kelly, I too have the error code and cannot retrieve 3 classic cd's. Queen, Led Zepplin and Frank Zappa are in the jaws of my JBL..... WHAT TO DO? I'm no Dancing Fool.
  • mitch44mitch44 Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my 2003 Toyota Sequoia at 49,600 miles. Upon start off, the SUV makes a loud stability correction noise and then the stability control / traction control system shuts off, with both lights eliminating on the dash. Please let me know what the outcome was from Toyota corporate in terms of paying for repair cost of ~$1500.
  • monrubinmonrubin Member Posts: 1
    i had the same problem with my '03. the VSC light came on one time and i called the dealer. they told me to turn off the engine and turn it back on and it should fix it. i made several trips to the dealer regarding this problem. they also told me what your dealer told you. "switch on your brake booster" but they were wrong again. Ask them about the (computer)chip for the VSC. That's what my dealer had to change and it solved the problem. it was under my warranty but the dealership told me it would cost $500 roughly
  • rgood1007rgood1007 Member Posts: 1
    The video has quit working on my Roof Mounted DVD Player on my 03 Sequoia Limited. The audio still works, but the video goes out pretty quickly after starting a movie. Has anyone experienced this problem? Am I in for buying another player, or is there a fix that anyone knows about?
  • cowboyloucowboylou Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 Sequoia that has been doing the fade on acceleration for at least 18 months. Been to two different dealers four times for solution to problem....nothing. Today they told me this was "normal" according to Toyota and did not require repair. I am at my wit's end with these folks. Bought a pricey Toyota SUV to avoid bugs and silly quirks, but look what we got. Safety is my concern - if we are accelerating and it locks up on us we are going to get nailed in the rear end. Not what I was hoping for when we made the purchase. Our Suburban '04 has no such troubles. Is this a Toyota problem or just a Toyota Sequoia problem? Anyone have a solution besides leaving it in 4wd all the time or shutting off the VSC program?
  • mcgurkmcgurk Member Posts: 2
    I noticed the oil pressure gauge was dropping to a lower than normal reading but only at speeds above 60 MPH. At slower driving speeds the oil pressure looked OK. I had the oil/filter changed (It was time)and the oil pressure was normal at all RPMs for about a week. But now the problem has returned. Any ideas? Oil pressure sending unit?
  • pedal2dmetalpedal2dmetal Member Posts: 19
    I have the same observation on my 04 SR5. From what I have read, if the gauge reads slightly below middle range, this should be normal as long as it does not get to lower 1/4 area or below. Yes, the same @ 60-65 mph. If you notice and attempt to accelerate, the pressure builds up to upper half towards 3/4. During acceleration the pressure should build up and stay up, but cruise speed tends to bring it down below half and above 1/4 consistently. I have taken the same discussion to my local dealer and find the issue to be normal. Make sure to use the right viscosity oil. I have notice that my dealer uses 10/30 even if the manufacturer recommends 5/30. Let me know if this is exactly what you are experiencing. :shades:
  • mcgurkmcgurk Member Posts: 2
    Not exactly the same as you are seeing. Although what you described is what I have experienced since the car was new.
    At driving speeds below 50 MPH the gauge reads normal, however above 55 MPH the oil pressure drops off below the 1/4 mark and is heading to zero. I take my foot off the gas and slow down preparing to shut off the engine and the pressure will climb back up to normal = 1/4 and above. BTW the car model is a 2002 limited.
  • toy4ttoy4t Member Posts: 1
    I have the '03 and the ABS/VSC lights both came on one day and stuck. Every time I started up I would get a Loud low warning buzzer come on. This was also happening when I pulled out of my parking lot and turned a slight incline and to the right. I called the dealership and they said just turn it off and restart but that didn't do anything. They did tell me I would not hurt the vehicle or myself by continuing to drive. I then called a dealer in the metro area that I trusted and the service manager said to take it in for service and the codes would say what needed replaced. It was 3 days until they could get me in for service. Every day the same thing, it would drop engine acceleration and the low warning buzzer would come on as it seemed to pump the brakes from 1 to 3 seconds, like a stutter. The only thing it says anywhere in the manual for these double lights not going out after turning off and restarting is "Take to Dealer." The dealer said they had to contact Toyota and even though my warranty had just expired 1 month before, they had to replace 2 MOTOR DRIVE CIRCUIT BOARDS (or chips) and said it was a $1500 repair at no charge to me. It hasn't done it since. Still annoying to have the 4runner for 9 years with nothing more than regular service and oil changes but my '03 Sequoia has already been in for AC repair, driver seat repair, Passenger seat still vibrates, and now this ABS/ASC thing. But when anyone asks me if I like the Sequoia I still have to say I love it!
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Member Posts: 104
    The Sequoia model is a baby for toyota. It came out in the 2001 model year. There are always kinks to work out on new models, but for the most part it is an excellent truck.
  • lait2000lait2000 Member Posts: 33
    Bring your TOY in to dealer for replace oil sending unit. This just came out new TSB for the new part. More details, Please see my post number 1289 in this section.
  • fuquafuqua Member Posts: 1
    My 05 Sequoia has the same problem. Toyota has kept it six weeks, replaced the transmission twice and re programmed the computer several times. I am beginning a negotiation for a trade. If they had told me the problem was just inherent with the truck I probably would have accepted the irritation but now I own a truck that has had two new transmissions and over $10,000 worth of repairs. I hope Toyota will negotiate fairly or I will file a lemon law complaint. I was told that Toyota has had several complaints but has no fix for the problem. I was also told that this problem was new with the 05 model when they switched to the 5 speed transmission.
  • seacoyseacoy Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my '01. I also keep my foot planted firmly on the brake. I frequently think someone has tapped my bumper and then after looking again in the rearview mirror, remember it is my Toyota's problem. Just another quirk they don't know how to deal with.
  • seacoyseacoy Member Posts: 2
    I own an 01 Sequoia and love it. When I purchased it (used in '02) I had problems with the back window going down on its own whenever it wanted to, a real problem if I had gone to a mall or when it was raining. Toyota fixed the issue at no expense to me although they tried!
    Now, I am having an issue which they tell me might be very costly! Although I bought an extended warranty,(an after market one,through Toyota, much to my surprise-buyer beware), it may not cover the work needed. Problem:when I open the driver door or passenger door, there is a click-click sound under the dash, sometimes resulting in the back window not wanting to open, the rear wiper blade not working, and the interior door locks not locking from INSIDE. This condition can remedy itself as I driving down the road, or it may not remedy itself until it wants to.
    weather has no effect on this problem. I recently drove over 1,000 miles, over all types of terrain, and the problem never happened. Toyota tells me it might be a broken wire for which they will have to remove the dashboard, the interior of the car and whatever it takes to find a broken wire!! I asked if it could be a relay issue, and they said probably not. Asked them if it could be one of my remotes, ie. remote starter, remote lock/unlock buttons, probably not. All they will say is this one will be $$$$$ to find! I might just live with the problem! The car doors will lock with my remote when I leave the vehicle, so that is good. None of this is covered by my warranty.......so refresh my memory...I bought it... why?
  • workoartworkoart Member Posts: 1
    OK all. I own a 2003 Sequoia Limited and really love it. Over the last 3 weeks or so, my factory alarm goes off for no reason. I have tried everything. Locking the car with remote, locking with key, letting it lock automatically and still have been experiencing intermittent alarms. Comes and goes. Some days, will go off 20 times every 10 minutes, and other days it waits until 1 AM to go off and wake all the neighbors. In the shop now and they are saying they can't find a cause and will keep it overnight as they need it to go off to troubleshoot. Have resorted to disconnecting the battery cable each night before I go to bed so I don't have to get up several times to turn off the alarm. Then, reconnecting it in the AM so my wife can drive.

Going crazy...any help or thoughts would be greatly apprciated. The dealer is suggesting that I may have to live with it. I suggested that they completely turn off the alarm, but he is not sure if that is even possible. Am I missing something?
  • aliminalimin Member Posts: 80
    Have you looked at the panic button on the remote? I've set mine off just by bumping something against the button. Could there be a short or something stuck between the case and the button?

Alimin
  • rynick2rynick2 Member Posts: 9
    Has there been any update on the vsc/brake/abs lights coming on dashboards. 02 Sequoia of course out of warranty by 10,000 miles. Dealer said esu unit is bad and needs to be replaced at cost of 3300.00 ouch!!! Has anyone had similar problem or resolution. Is there a "TSB"? Any help/info would be appreciated.
  • rynick2rynick2 Member Posts: 9
    Follow up to post 1403. I have not experienced the loss of acceleration to this point. Spoke with Toyota/USA. They basically said there is nothing they can do about the defective "ecu" unit. They stand behind 3/36000 mile warranty. Rep said speak with customer svc mgr and use the 3300 repair cost as a down payment on another vehicle.
  • jesiiijesiii Member Posts: 2
    I just had the same problem repaired at dealer for $800. Had to replace entire inside of tailgate for severe rust. I do live where there is salt during the winter but I have kept this vehicle in a garage and washed very often. Was told by repair tech they see this a lot in the Sequoia and have seen it in the old four runners. How do I get ahold of the 'rep' in my area.
  • jesiiijesiii Member Posts: 2
    Same problem had it fixed for $800. How do I get ahold of the area service rep and report this to Toyota?
  • donqdonq Member Posts: 2
    I had a similar problem and it took 6 visits with 3 different shops. The tech found out by accident at the last shop and the problem was a little dent on the sensor probe itself. We have been driven 40K mile and VSC problem is gone.

However, the front disks need to be turned down every 30,000 miles or so because of serve wopped. So way I replaced the front disks at 80,000 miles and they need to be turned down again.
  • donqdonq Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 has an average of 17.8 miles per gallon according to a trip computer which equates to 420 miles per fill. Lately, we get about 375 miles per fill and it is average at 14 to 15 miles per gallon.

Any suggestion????
  • mls1mls1 Member Posts: 1
    I had a problem with my brake light coming on intermittently when I would brake, regardless of speed, and could not get Toyota to fix it - they kept telling me it needed more brake fluid. After months of this, the last time I took it in, I told the service advisor that I had documented dates reported, who I talked to, and made sure the problem was also reported on THEIR paperwork every single time I went in. I also said that when I had an accident because the light went on and I thought it was just needing "more brake fluid" and not a real brake problem, Toyota would hear from a lawyer. Well guess what..they diagnosed it that day and ordered the part overnight. They replaced the ECM switch, which is also tied into the VSC trac lights. No more brake lights...yours will come back on, and eventually more frequently. It's not an annoyance, it's not a Toyota eccentricity. It's a defect and they need to fix it for you...and if you've brought it to their attention before and truck is out of warranty, gather your papers and push them. Hopefully you have all your paperwork, good luck.
    I love my sequoia, but that light drove me nuts for almost a year.
  • tltoolinginctltoolinginc Member Posts: 1
    I am also having this ABS/VSC problem. Did you find anything out?? Let me know. Thanks
  • scottvscottv Member Posts: 2
    Sorry it has taken so long to respond, but I have finally found the issue with my VSC/Trac Control Lights always coming on. I had my 2002 Sequoia in the dealer for a recall part. When I started to leave these lights came on. The mechanic was nice enough to run diagnostics and found that it was refers to the "brake booster pedal force switch". The CODE is C1363. Dealer quoted a price of $936 just for the part. I went straight to CarMax with CODE in hand. They ordered the part and fixed it. All under the warranty that I purchased when I bought the truck :). I really hope this helps in your situation. (As with some of the other posts I've seen, I have not experience any lose of power.) Good Luck
  • aviatorjpnaviatorjpn Member Posts: 5
    I've been having a brake problem (squeaky noise) with my 01 SR5 4x4. I took it to Firestone many times (because I purchased the liftetime brake package) and then can't still fix the problem. They resurfaced the rotor a couple times and changed the brake pads several times. And I had to purchase another rotor from them.... I think I'm done with Firestone. What would be the best solution for this brake problem? Brake is much heavier than other cars.... Any advise will be appreciated!! Thanks.
  • aviatorjpnaviatorjpn Member Posts: 5
    http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tundraswaykit.htm

Has anyone tried the anti-sway kits for your sequoia?

If you have, how is it? really easty to install? big differece before/after installation?

Any comment will be appreciated!!

Thanks.
  • oxx93oxx93 Member Posts: 67
    At the end of Feb. I will have had my 2004 SR5 for 2 years. I am approaching 30K miles and when I had the vehicle in for an oil change and tire rotation recently, the service tech said that I have about 4 to 5K miles left on the tires. Is that normal wear for a larger SUV? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks
  • txcptxcp Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me how to reprogram a factory remote for a 2002 sequoia ? I changed the battery and now they dont work

any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    a long time ago someone on this forum replaced their front rotors with some Tundra slotted and drilled rotors, how did this work are you still out there.

I have 105,000 on front rotors and will probably need to replace at next brake job. I had to do the rear ones at the last repair as there was some pad failure and it went metal to metal and ruined the rotors.
  • pinkiepinkie Member Posts: 1
    Hi -- new to the site here, but have been a Toyota driver for 22 years -- Picups, Camrys, 4-Runners, Siennas and now our ill-fated 2004 Sequoia.

We've experienced acceleration issues/VSC lights as well as "Brake" lights since our vehicle was new. Dealer gave us the same answers as I've witnessed on others' input in this site...

We're going to trade in our Sequoia for another vehicle...any ideas for an eight pax SUV alternative -- hopefully one that is up to Toyota's normal quality standards...
  • kearney1kearney1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the same problems w/my 2004 Sequoia. I have taken it in to the dealership 4 times and have never had a resolution. This summer they suggested maybe carbon buildup on a cable. Charged me and I am still having the same issues. I have come very close to 2 accidents because I pull out into an intersection or turn left and the VSC trac light comes on and the SUV does not go. Has anyone found a solution?!! I am ready to trade it in.
  • ohvsequoiaohvsequoia Member Posts: 3
    I had a similar issue immediately after having the brakes serviced. I took it back and they discovered that a wire connection on one of the front hubs had come loose... I think it had to do with the abs system, but not sure. Hope this helps.
  • teddi1teddi1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 01 sequoia. Loved it until...we had all the brake problems I see posted, but did get that taken care much more timely than some I see. We had to have transmission replaced in July 05 we have an extended warranty which paid all the $3600 bill but $189. Now it is Feb. 06 and I'm looking at replacing the transfer case at $3600. We were wondering if any others had such problems. We were told at the dealership ours were one out of two with this problem. I can't believe that now that I'm seeing all these other problems.
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    I also have an '01 with 106K miles, no tranny problems at all, in fact no problems to speak of.

Some of the probles croping up on sequoias are probably due to age of the vehicle, plus those of us with an '01, it was the first year and maby the longevity problems of a first year model are just now croping up!

I would like some advice on what people have done recently with new tires, I replaced the origionals with Mich cross terrain at 36K miles and they have lasted till now (70K miles), I am going to replace them again but wondering if there is any other recommendations. I live in Folsom CA, no snow, 2 wheel drive, I tow a 6,000 trailer.
  • jnoon6583jnoon6583 Member Posts: 1
    My airbag light started to flash, I took it to Toyota
    Dealership. They said the curtain airbag was bad and charged me $400 labor to replace. The airbag light continued to flash. They said it did not flash when they replaced it,testing it before putting my Sequoia back together. They said maybe a wire got pinched by the tech putting it together, but after them having it for 9 hours, I had to leave with it and bring it back another day. Now they call and say its the wiring system, and would be another $1000 to fix it! Has anybody had this problem? Everybody I talk to says airbags should never be bad? Any suggestions?
  • raymurraymur Member Posts: 29
    I would say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Not many owners are getting 70,000 miles out of a set of tires. I only use Michelins and I would suggest that from your experience you should too.
  • folsom33folsom33 Member Posts: 14
    replaced with cross terrains and my wife left on a trip with her friends to LA and Vegas, also replaced front brakes, I forgot how new tires make the vehicke run smooth, she called sunday and said she got 17 MPG going down I5 from sacramento to LA, Just about the most I ever got on this car...
  • superducsuperduc Member Posts: 2
    I had a similar issue. My alarm would go off when unlocking the doors. The problem was intermittent. The dealer could only get it to go off a couple of times but had no answer so they replaced the remotes. This did not help. I did some searching on the web and found a Toyota Service Bulletin sent to the dealers addressing this problem, a bad alarm ECU (computer module). I printed the TSB and told my dealer to order the part. Part #89221-0C023. When it came in they replaced it and I have never had the issue since. That was back in April 2004. Hope this helps.
  • toyotasr5toyotasr5 Member Posts: 3
    Just this past weekend I had to replace a tire after a flat. Tireplus said I needed all the Bridgestone Dueler HT
    tires replaced, on original on my 2004 Sequoia SR5 4x4 due to tread wear. I had 31,000 miles on them. Maybe Toyota should invest in tires rated for a SUV that weighs soooo much.
    THEN, the Dueler HT "type" is no longer available, so
    purchased 4 new tires for close to $500, which are "newer"
    Dueler H/T, which has newer tread (less gap in tread pattern) for a quieter and smoother ride, and rated at
    60,000. Hummmm, we'll see. -H.
  • toyotasr5toyotasr5 Member Posts: 3
    Since Toyota wont give details on warranty claims overall,
    I'm interested in other Sequoia owner warranty claims.
    1) Rotors warped - dealer shaved and rotated
    2) battery kept dying - dealer found bad cell - replaced
    3) left tail light bulb burned out - dealer replaced

NOW anomolies dealer hasnt resolved.
    1) sticky ignition - turn to start position, and starts,
    but switch sticks there and keeps starter on, has happened
    3 times ( have to manually turn key off to stop)
    NOTE: I have a '06 Tundra DblCab 4x4 with same problem)
    2) Thump in transmission (feels like being rear ended) after driving on HiWay for a while and take exit ramp and stop NOTE: same issue with my '06 Tundra - many similarities with my Sequioa and Tundra.
    Dont get me wrong I love Toyota, owned them for 23 yrs,
    esp: 4rnr and pick-up, just noticed more issues since they
    are manufactured in US, instead of Japan.
  • juanitajuanita Member Posts: 7
    Hello, I have a 2005 Sequoia and am having the same problem with the thump in the transmission (feels like being rear ended). My 2005 has less than 6000 miles and I purchased less than year. It has been to back to dealership at least 6 times because of other problem. As you can imagine I am not very happy with it. I wondering if you have anyone repond to the transmission issue or had it looked at.

Thanks
  • juanitajuanita Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2005 SR5 with less than 6,000 miles on it. I noticed when I come to stop I feel a thump in the transmission or what I'm thinking is the transmission. It feels like someone has rearended me. Did you noticed anything like that when your transmission problem started? Any clue as to what this might be if it's not the transmission.

This is not the first probelm I have had with my sequoia. It's been in the shop at least 6 times in less and I have only had it for 7 months. I have issues with sulfur dioxide leaking into the cab which does have a "tsb" for that now. They had to replace all of the exhaust system and then broke the manifold and replaced that as well. I am glad that I still under warrenty and purchased an extended also. The A/C blower had to replaced after that and last week it was in the shop for week for electrical short in seat. Its also been in the shop for some minor things radio not picking up a signal (which had to be replaced). The rubber around the window was folded under. All this and its not even time for the 2nd oil change. As you can probably tell I am not happy with my sequoia and would advise anyone not buy one. I have own several toyota's but right now I don't know that I would ever buy another one. Maybe I just have a lemon.
  • edongedong Member Posts: 1
    Hi superduc
    I have the same problem with my '01 Sequoia. Sometime, when I unlock the doors using the remote (specially in winter time), the alarm would go off. Can you send me a copy of the TSB or point me to where I can get one so I can show it to my Toyota service center? Thanks...