Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• toyotatoystoyotatoys Member Posts: 118
    I just had the starter replaced on my 01 SEQ with 83K. I'm disappointed because I have had 9 Toyotas in a row (including one Lexus) and this is the first vehicle where I had to replace a part before 100K. Maybe I'm somewhat spoiled, but I really expected it to last much longer. Otherwise, the vehicle still hums and purrs like it always had.
  • baglebagle Member Posts: 5
    i have a sequoia that i purchased used and have had it in to the dealer ship 2 times for the sounds like famous tick. i made them tear it down to check the lifters and there reply is that they are set right that the toyota motors just are noisy. they also told me that toyota specs are that they want them just a little loose for performance. i call bull but what am i to do. so i have the same problem. and i am also searching for a solution. so if you hear any thing let me know. it driving me crazy i will not be able to get used to it.
  • baglebagle Member Posts: 5
    does any one out there have the solution for the noisy 4.7 v-8 toyota motors, is it normal? like they tell me it is? every time i get in it and drive all i can hear is the ticking. and it just drives me crazy :mad:
  • trdsequoiatrdsequoia Member Posts: 3
    Hello to all, I've been trying to find out info about what could maybe be the problem with my Sequoia. I bought the car in 2004 and have had the following problems. My VSC/TRAC OFF and ABS light are constantly on now and have been for about 4 months. Usually they would only come on when I would have the heat on for a while then I would turn off and re start the car and they would dissapear. I had it diagnosed when I took it in to get the defective recalled Ball joints replaced and the dealership came up with the conclusion that the YAW Sensor as well as both Master brake cylinder pressure sensors needed to be replaced for roughly about $903.00. The lady who assisted me said she called Toyota to see if maybe they could do something about this problem but of course they didn't. Since then the drivers inside door handle broke about a month ago, sometimes the gas gauge reads empty after putting gas in the car but slowly rises up with time. This usually only happens if we let the tank get close to the empty mark. The oil pressure at highway speeds sits at about the 1/4 mark and as soon as I let go of the accelerator it will start to climb. Oil pressure will stay in the normal range at about 65-70 mph but anything more than that and your sitting at 1/4 mark. At idle it will sit at its normal range and when I accelerate it, it climbs but slowly. Sometimes my brake light would come on but go off after I turn off the car then re start it. But by all means the brakes and the car drive and operate perfectly. honestly cant justify how 3 sensors associated with the same thing can all go bad at once unless there is some kind of short circuit or something. I've read various post regarding the VSC/TRAC OFF and ABS light and differentnt methods that have been used to fix the problem but I just dont know which to go by. I just dont want to spend all that money and then keep on having continuous problems with the lights. If anybody can help or give some advise it would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!
  • brittdadbrittdad Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone,
    Great board. I love my 2003 Sequoia Limited and would buy another but it has a few problems. Like many I have a small amount of rust starting to show on the bottom drivers side corner of the rear hatch. My rear license plate lights have also decided that they are tired of working. Any ideas? If it is something very expensive i have decided to try to live in denial as I just paid off the note on this. I have 66k on the SUV and I am relatively good with tools so maybe I can fix it myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks from Boston
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Member Posts: 104
    The easiest thing to do is check the brake fluid. As the brakes wear the fluid level drops, and when it get to low those lights all come on. I would check that first, and if low top it off.
    You need to go to a Toyota Dealership because there is a TSB on the fuel gauge, and a TSB on on oil pressure gauge. Both should be fixed under warranty.
    That reply was for you.
  • zorandawickedzorandawicked Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone. First time here and thought it would be a great place to start. I have a 2003 Limited with the JBL system. Only upgrades I have is a 10" JL sub (stealth)and the amp that is hooked up to the front speakers.

Well recently when i drive the back speakers go out or have a high pitch whine and it almost sounds like it has a loose wire. Anyway I took it to my local radio guy and the speakers were fine. He was thinking it could be the factory AMP that runs the back speakers. Well I went to my local Toyota dealer and beacuse I have a gold warrenty the factory amp is no covered. They told me just the amp was around $500. They also gave me a number of a salvage place to get the amp.

Here is my question...where is the amp located and how am I sure its the one that drives the back speakers?

HELP!

Thanks,
    Chris
    :cry:
  • zorandawickedzorandawicked Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know where i can find out where the rear speaker AMP is located?
    What happens if Im no longer under warranty? Out of pocket?
    Brake fluid is good, and brakes work perfectly. It would only come on when I would put on the heat inside the car. Now its on forever. Ive already got it diagnosed and that is what they came up with. I just need to find out what kind of warranty the parts and labor come with.
  • jwtjwt Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I have a Sequoia 04 and while driving on any road conditions at any time I may get a 'thumping' sound, almost like flat tires and it will get louder and louder until I pull over and stop. I have logged each time and have no solutions, either does Toyota dealership. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thank you. jwt
  • swilcoxswilcox Member Posts: 1
    Have you found the problem yet? I have a 2001 Sequoia and have had the same problem for 2 years. I called Toyota and complained as I was just about out of warrenty and they have been doing repairs on it for two years - at their cost - my inconvience - since then. It actually hasn't come on in a few months, so they may have finally figured it out - but it was just luck. We've switched brake pads, etc., and the latest was a sensor in the brakes. I loved Toyota's and still have high hopes for this one - but now my back door won't open! 700.00 later the mechanic is fixing it. They just don't build them like they used to.

Let me know the fix on your vehicle, if you have one.
  • sullyaksullyak Member Posts: 30
    I have read several posts regarding tires. My dueler HT's only lasted 30K miles as well. I did a great deal of research and determined that paying more for high quality tires was worth it. I bought goodyear fortera silent armours which got great reviews on tirerack.com. I couldn't be happier with them. They are much quieter and grip great in wet and dry conditions.

Hope this helps.
  • boslaw71boslaw71 Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone recommend a good place to buy this part for a 2002 Sequoia (or do I have to go through the dealer)? Based on posts on this board, seems like it's fairly common for the handle to break, and I don't want to pay $250-$300 to replace it if I can do it myself. I've scoured the web and this is the one part that I can't seem to find.

Thanks,
    Andre
  • dylandondylandon Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I have a 2003 Sequoia SR5, the rear amp located underneath the center console. I removed my JBL system. If you need an amp, maybe I can help you.
  • superducsuperduc Member Posts: 2
    I don't have the TSB anymore. A good dealer should let you look at it. The item you may need is a "Body Electronic Control Unit" to eliminate the problem. TSB #EL007-03 or I think the part # is 89221-0c023. Good luck. Alldata.com used to have all of the Toyota TSB's for free but now you have to buy them...Shame on you money hungry SOB's at Alldata!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can get TSB summaries in the Edmunds Maintenance Guide, including ones for the Sequoia. Alldata never, afaik, gave you anything but the TSB title info for free.

Steve, Host
  • mulligan101mulligan101 Member Posts: 12
    I had a good local mechanic do the job for $120 including the part. Good luck! By the way, the dealer wanted $300+ for the job and would not even order the part until they took the door apart. He is now off my list forever.
    Could you please tell me what the outcome of your bright light indicator problem is. My indicator just went out on my 01 Sequoia. I took it to the dealer and he said that it was a bulb that burned out and that it would take one to two hours of labor to replace it. This doesn't sound right to me.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • gaphgaph Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I have a 2001 LTD with 100,000 miles with no problems to speak of until now. There is a vibration-thumping(bearing like) noise only between 37-43 miles per hour. It disappears when I have a load or put into 4x4. Dealer is waiting until it gets louder,they think its coming from the transfer case. Suggestions please. Thanks.
  • amber8amber8 Member Posts: 1
    I also have just started noticing a tapping noise upon start up on cold morning. By cold I meant in the mid thirties or lower. I live in Brentwood Tennessee an we have a wide range of temperatures over the year. This is the first time I have noticed the tapping noise and I bought the Sequoia 2002 new.

Winter befor last I had to use the 4X4 to get up and down our drive. The front end came apart and tore up the front differential and transfer case. It was under warranty and Toyota repaired it under warranty.

Otherwise I have had only minor things like a door click/snap noise on the driver door when opened plus the trunk hand-strap broke off.

There is a sliding noise under the dash in the area of the radio, which reminds me the radio/CD player was replaced by Toyota.
  • harboharbo Member Posts: 136
    At 30,000 miles I replaced the spark plugs with Bosch 4 prong platinum. Now have 69,000 miles. No problems. Easy to do on the Sequoia. I also use bosch 4 prong platinum plugs in my last 2 Lexus.

Slvrfx
    Got 50K out of original dueler HT's running 36 psi. Noisy and lousy traction. Recommend and use Michelins on all my vehicles. Have 20K on replacement Michelin LTX one size oversize on the Sequoia. Can't see wear with 20miles and very smooth and quiet. Since new the MPG is at 18.4. On the road at 70/75 it stays above 20 mpg. Around town about 17. Run K&W induction and Bosch 4prong platinum and Castrol 5w30 synthetic. Don't know if any of that helps but it makes me feel good.

On my passenger cars I typically get 70K to 75K miles on rubber. Again Michelins. Now running the new Michelin Hydroedge which looks good and feels good. I Drive fast and keep pressures up around 36 psi which I believe helps my fuel mileage.
    :shades:
  • zooms01zooms01 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are looking at buying a 2002 Toyota Sequoia with 70000 miles. I have been reading about a lot of people having major problems with Sequoia’s. Are these isolated incidents or are they common. In your opinion with 70000 miles are all the bugs worked out or is trouble yet to come. I just find it hard to believe they are all having these problems as it was rated very well by Edmunds and Consumer Report. Thank you for your time and any feedback, you can also email me at patterso@ticon.net

God bless
    We love the Sequoia. I would buy another in a flash. My recommendation is to check the service records to see what updates have been made. The two big ones seem to be the lower ball joints (about a $1500) job here in Arizona and the Brake update, (again about $1500).

Check out all the basics and good luck.
  • tooheeldrivetooheeldrive Member Posts: 17
    That's really good MPG. I have never been above 18MPG on the highway. How are you figuring the MPG? Manually or using the trip computer? And is your Seq 2WD or 4WD. My trip computer (2002 model) is consistently 1.5MPG optimistic.
    I have a 2001 Sequoia with 48,000 miles on it and it has not been in the shop except for routine maintenance. If you read other threads on Edmunds I think that you will find that the Sequoia, as well as other Toyota vehicles, have much lower rates of problems than comparable vehicles in their class.
  • usonrjusonrj Member Posts: 2
    My Wife and I are looking at a 2003 Sequoia with 61,000 total miles. It was not at the lot when we were supposed to finalize the deal. It was at the dealer having work done due to a recall. I noticed complaints about thumping sounds from owners. The recall work was replacement ball joints. Could this be the problem with the others making bumping or thumping noises? The rear window did not work and was supposed to be repaired. Is this another problem that is unique to the Sequoias?
  • usonrjusonrj Member Posts: 2
    Toyota is now recalling some models replacing their ball joints. This could be the sound you are hearing. We are looking at a 03 which has that problem and dealer repairs.

Thanks
    My 2002 2WD Limited that had no bumps or thumps, nevertheless had the lower ball joint factory update at no cost and replacement of a rear window motor again at no cost. We love our Sequoia. Will buy another as soon as the kids have the money to buy this one. I may be driving the 02 for a long time.!!
    Agreed the computer is about one mpg optimistic. Reads 18.8 on the computer since new. Manual calculation shows about 18 around town and 21 to 22 on highway. I drive fast but have an raw egg under my accelerator foot (figuratively speaking) when it comes to accelerating. I notice when my daughter drives it, the mileage drops by 1 or 2 mpg. Tells you something. Mine is a 2WD. Don't need the 4WD since I was raised driving on mud, gravel, ice and snow when we couldn't spell 4WD. As long as I can disconnect the stupid micro chip control that cuts out engine power at EXACTLY THE WRONG TIME we get along just fine!
    Tooheeldrive .......... Regarding gas mileage I should also mention these changes. I run a K&N Intake system, Bosch 4 prong platinum sparkplugs, Castrol 5W30 Synthetic motor oil and my Michelin Hydoedge tires (one size over standard) at 36 PSI. Whether any of this helps gas mileage I'm not certain except for the 36 psi in the tires. The rest makes me feel good. Good driving!
    Harbo
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Hey guys,

I need some advice. My Sequoia has just hit the 30k mark and I was wondering about the 30k service. After looking at the brochure for the recommended service for the Sequoia at 30k, it seems that the only worthwhile things that they are going to do is: oil/filter change, air filter change, and replacing the spark plugs- all for the discount price of around $250.00 ;) I can do the air-filter change by myself since it is relatively simple.
    I was wondering what others here recommend getting done at this juncture. I think the oil change and spark plug replacement is important to do. However, by just asking the dealer to do these 2 things by itself would be cheaper than getting the "30k service."
    Also, does anyone recommend getting a coolant as well as transmission service done too at 30k miles?
    I live in Florida and drive in medium-heavy traffic conditions. Any help would be appreciated.
    harbo,

Where did you find information on the brake update? I looked on Edmunds and didn't see one for the brakes?
    I'll pull my receipt and reply with the details. It will be saturday. Harbo
    Are you a natural mechanic or gearhead?
    Not at all, why do you ask?
    If you are a natural mechanic (desire, patience and the manual [Chilton or whatever], then doing the sparkplug changes (not needed at 30K miles in my opinion)oil and oil filter changes can be rewarding and inexpensive. Rewarding because it gives you a continual better feel for your vehicle.

If on the other hand you might screw it up, then by all means see your friendly dealer.

Good luck ....... Harbo
    I think you might have misunderstood my original post. I was willing to do the air filter replacement by myself.
    The oil and spark plugs- I will leave to my dealer.

My main concern/question is- to the forum- other than the oil/air filter/spark plugs----is there any other service that I should get done at 30k miles i.e. engine coolant and/or transmission fluid or something else I am missing???
  • rbestrbest Member Posts: 1
    The rear door of my 2003 Sequoia will not open. I had it open then closed it, when I went to open it again, it would not open. I hear the unlock sound, but cannot open from the latch. The rear window still works. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • kotsykotsy Member Posts: 1
    Any one have a sound like your exhaust is leaking from the drivers side firewall? It drives me nuts. The dealer thinks it may be a cracked manifold. My mechanic at a private shop has a post that says it may be the timing chain??? Any thoughts???
    Chris
    Sorry for the late response.

The TSB on the work order is BR005 - 02. TSB replace calipers bearings backing palt.
    The V8 Sequoia has a timing belt...check the oil level? may have to remove exhaust shield to confirm cracked manifold.
    Depend on what enviroments you are in, the car should have a major service at 30K interval.
    Oil change
    Air Filter
    Transmission Fluids drain & refill (Type IV not Dexron III)
    Rear Differential drain & refill (GL-5 gear oil)
    Coolant flush or drain & refill
    Wiper inserts
    Spark plugs (remove and inspect the white porcelain area, if it has brown/rust marks--need to replace, the seal is worn)
  • dixiedixie Member Posts: 3
    I plan on purchasing a sequoia sometime in the future and my husband wants to order it. I would like some of ya'll's sage advice on the process. Thank you.
  • mikenancymikenancy Member Posts: 5
    We get a vibration in the front of our 2006 Sequoia. They first replaced the back wheel bearings because of a recent technical bulletin. It still was there. They then did the front. Still there. It's not a loud thumping, but more of a light vibration ... all between 37 & 43. I've seen differential mentioned elsewhere. Any other ideas?
  • mikenancymikenancy Member Posts: 5
    Were you getting a vibration feeling in the front? We get one at 37-43 mph. They have replaced both the front & back wheel bearings and rear axle. Still hear it. They are ready to give up. They said it's normal differential noise. We are in Maryland.
    Ya'll gonna use it in the sunshine of dixie or snow & ice & junk like that? When you go on line you can spec out the vehicle according to your wants and pocket-book.

2WD is less expensive to buy and maintain and has better mileage. 4WD obviously gets you through the junky stuff.