Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rkasperrkasper Member Posts: 3
    I have an intermittent problem with my gas gauge. I have an 03 Sequoia which has been problem free until now. The "Distance To Empty" (DTE) shows that there's lots of gas but the gauge reads empty and the gas light is on. Anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know the fix? Any help would be appreciated.
  • lubes4u2lubes4u2 Member Posts: 8
    I've tried to talk to two different Toyota dealers in Tulsa (Riverside / Jim Norton ) and both want to reduce the trade-in value by over $6K yet they say the lights have no bearing on their decision; yeah right !
  • vickruc1vickruc1 Member Posts: 10
    I also had this problem with my 2003 Seq Limited. It was still under bumper to bumper but my dealer saw the issue, knew what the fix was, and solved it the first time correctly. I believe it was a sending unit. Liberty Toyota in Burlington NJ. All of my service there has been honest and reasonable. (I've also had work done on my 98 Camry out of warranty)
  • rkasperrkasper Member Posts: 3
    Thanks vickruc1. I have an extended warranty but they want to charge me a diagnostic fee, plus there's a $50 deductible. Too bad I don't live in Jersey -- I'm in North Idaho so not too convenient. My dealership here has not seen the problem. I am hoping to get more answers and that they agree in what the problem is. That for the info on the sending unit.
  • xman1035xman1035 Member Posts: 52
    I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4x4 with 45,000 miles on it and a two days ago the VSC, Trac, ABS, and brake lights came on. I had the brakes serviced at my local Toyota Dealer in January of this year. The brakes work fine and so does the vehicle. I have had no problems with my Sequoia until now and I have it serviced by Toyota routinely. I have read on this site and on www.tundrasoulutions.com that others have had the same problem. I appears to me that this brake system light problem is very common for 2000-2003 Sequoias. I will file a complaint with NHTSA (www.nhtsa.gov) as I see this as a serious safety issue. I bought a Toyota for reliability and safety. I will take my Sequoia to the dealer and see how much this is going to cost me. I will keep all of you posted.
  • markg1717markg1717 Member Posts: 2
    I too have had ongoing issues witht the VSC TRAC and ABS lights on my wife's 2003 Sequoia Ltd. The lights began coming on at about 25k at which point the dealer suggested we replace the brakes (apparently there were fault codes but they were lost as they were pulling them...). The brake replacement fixed the problem temporarily. The lights came on again at about 35k. This time the dealer thought that the issue was a faulty wheel sensor but apparently was able to get the lights to go off after tapping the sensor (they felt that maybe a loose piece of rust had made its way into the sensor). At 48k they came on again and this time they replaced the traction control computer to the tune of $1,600. After arguing, they agreed to split the cost with me. The lights have just come on again (54k), only 10 months after the computer replacement and now the dealer wants to charge me $600 to replace a wheel sensor. Needless to say I have 0 confidence that they are diagnosing the problem correctly. The service tech can't even tell me what the safety risk is by continuing to drive the car with the lights on. I bought a Toyota for their reliability but this is ridiculous. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • markg1717markg1717 Member Posts: 2
    Can you say more about re-setting the VSC/Brake light? How do you do this? It's been constant annoyance for my wife's 2003 Sequoia since about 20k miles. Thanks.
    Didn't know resetting the VSC Trac Lights was something the owner could do on their own. That would be cool. If possible, I'd like to know about this too. Filed a complaint with the NHTSB this morning. Thanks.
  • myotamyota Member Posts: 2
    I'm new here so, hello.
    I have an 03 sequoia 4wd w 133k on it and have a loud roaring noise. I replaced both front wheel bearings and the noise is still there. Any help?
  • myotamyota Member Posts: 2
    I had the same prob when I changed my brakes, I would suggest that you disconnect the battery for about 1 min and let the computer reset it self. It worked for me. It's amazing that I found this board and every single problem described is a problem I have had or am having currently.
  • alannutsalannuts Member Posts: 2
    The gas gauge basically reads a resistance to ground. The function of the sender is to change this resistance as the float in the tank goes up and down. There are four types of settings, and I don't remember which one Toyota uses, but the cause could be a signal wire touching ground, a sunken or partially sunken float, or a bad sending unit. I tend to agree with the guy in PA that the sending unit is the most likely suspect because you said it was intermittant.

Alan
  • alannutsalannuts Member Posts: 2
    It drives me crazy that the doors lock when you put the car in gear. Especially when I get out of the car and try to get something out of the back seat. I have a 2002 Sequoia. Does anyone know of a way to disable this feature while leaving all other lock functions working? BTW, Ford allows for this feature to be programable using the keyless entry pad.
  • 19841984 Member Posts: 16
    see your owners manual - you can override.
  • rynick2rynick2 Member Posts: 9
    I had this warning light come on after my warranty had expired. The dealer I purchased from wanted to repair at a cost of close to $2000.00 I called Toyota corporate and complained but they said I had to take it up with my dealer they would not help. I conferred with another dealer who also diagnosed the problem the same as dealer 1. They said the computer was out and the ABS function was not working but brakes would continue to operate safely just without ABS. Dealer #2 contacted Toyota corporate and went to bat for me. They ended up getting Toyota to warranty the computer and charged me the labor close to 400.00 It all comes down to the dealer if the part is out of warranty.
    Glad to hear someone is getting results from Toyota Corporate; they are anything but helpful to myself or most here on this site. If anyone has further contacts, we would be much appreciative.
  • mytoyotamytoyota Member Posts: 1
    I have a "06 with 4500 miles and it has done this since day one. I've had it in to the dealer 2 times and they won't even acnoulage that something is there. What I've figure is happening is as I brake and am almost to a stop, the transmission down shifts and the RPM's jump up a little as this happens and kind of lurches the vehicle forward just as it's about to stop giving me the sensation that "I've been rear ended". This phenomenon also happens after I've come to a complete stop and am sitting for up to 10 seconds. The transmission will down shift, you see the Tach. Jump a little and the vehicle lurches.

I also have a problem with the vehicle drifting hard to the right when I let loose of the wheel. This occurs even on flat roads with no crown. The dealer insist it’s only from the crown in the road and I agree that there is some to be expected but no matter how little crown I’m off the road within 50’ or so.
    :mad:
  • davisgentrydavisgentry Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Sequoia - 34,500 miles. This problem just started with mine as well. I'll be fighting with the dealer for a new computer.
    Your "lurching" issue appears to be somewhat different than what I am experiencing as I have never noticed the feeling of "being rear-ended". There's definitely something going on since there are similiar issues with the TRAC lights on models from 2001 thru 2006.
  • doublesharpdoublesharp Member Posts: 32
    Help! 01 Sequoia 92k 2wd. Can't get the rear liftgate to open. I can hear the lock work when I hit the remote so I'm assuming it's the cable assembly. Murphy's law kicked in and I have a 4" nail sticking out of the sidewall of my left rear tire. My spare has never been used so my plan was to replace the damaged tire with it and use another tire I already have for a spare.

The owners manual was pretty vague about where the hole to crank the spare down is located, but as best I could tell it's on the rear door sill and the door must be opened to lower spare. Is this correct and does anyone have suggestions as to how to remove spare with the rear hatch closed?

Also can you recommend a good online dealer to buy the cable assembly? I called a local dealer and asked for a repair estimate over the phone and was told to expect $450-$500.I've got a good friend who owns a great body shop and he said bring it over so I can avoid the dealer ripoff but I need a source for the parts. I found the part #s by doing a forum search but could find no info on a trusted online partshouse. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

As a side note: You've always heard the saying, No good deed goes unpunished? Well my tale is proof. Knowing that I had an extra car, a close friend asked if I'd rent him my Seq. for a week so he could haul his extended family on a weeks vacation. Not going many miles but needs space. I hated being asked but I'd trust this guy with my life so I said "Mike, I don't want money, I won't miss the truck. Take it." He insists and gives my $250. We're both members of the same Sunday School class so I say "OK half goes in the collection plate"
    The rear latch broke and the tire was ruined while he had it. No good deed goes unpunished.
  • 72heaven72heaven Member Posts: 17
    I have an 02 Sequoia also. But my auto locks don't engage until after I take off. Then when I go to "park" the latches dis-engage.
  • jisjrjisjr Member Posts: 2
    Just had the same thing happen on my '01 LTD. Dealer looked up under the handle to the liftgate and said that a little plastic piece which connects the handle to the cable had broken. Ordering the piece Monday and hoping it is an easy fix.

Had to really squint to see the break.
  • stein1stein1 Member Posts: 2
    I also have a cracked manifold gasket in my 2001 seqouia and called Toyota to complain. I spoke to the rep who said he never heard of any complaints before about this. I found that hard to believe seeing about how much this problem has been written about on this site and others. I also told him about the VERY common rear window proble and again, never heard of any complaints about that either. It seems that unless we as owners contact Toyota and complain about these problems they are able to say they know nothing about them. This is a very expensive repair that seems to affect this truck and Toyota should either do a recall or address this issue. If anybody else has had problems this is the number to call : 18003314331. Press option 4 then option 3 then wait to speak to a rep. Hopefully they will address this and reimburse those of us who had to replace this part.
  • manamymanamy Member Posts: 4
    I'm in the same predicament. I think my father in law actually broke my rear door latch by slamming the door. But he was loading some groceries that he had bought for my wife! Anyway, I have talked to a couple of dealers about this latch and the only way to get the door to open is to remove the back panel which they say is very difficult. I may try to remove myself if its going to cost$400-$500.
    As to the tire, the hole is located on the sill. You may be able to look under and see if it could be cranked down from underneath the car. :lemon:
  • doublesharpdoublesharp Member Posts: 32
    The lock actuator broke. Couldn't get the spare down until that was fixed so you could get the rear hatch open to get to the crank hole. Sure not as handy as GMs thru the bumper crank hole. My buddy says you don't EVER want that to happen again. He put a screw in the plastic piece to reinforce the cable and lubed and greased everything good. Charged me $280 and I gave him $300.
    I am amazed that there is not a hidden cable that you could pull as an emergency to get the rear door open. I will be honest, I like the truck but the repairs for it are very expensive. It may be time to try an american car again. For $280, if you are located near Chicago I will have you guy fix mine too!
    yes mine was just out of warranty and had to come up with $2000. :lemon:
  • jisjrjisjr Member Posts: 2
    Had the same problem on my 2001 LTD. Saved myself $350 for a new motor by having the old motor taken apart and the contacts on the brushes wiped clean. Apparently, with little or no use, the contacts may form some rust on the surface and prohibit any 'real contact' between the surface. Once cleaned, the rear windows opens and closes beautifully.
  • carlisleherrcarlisleherr Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 4WD Sequoia SR5 makes a noise when I turn to the left at 10-30 MPH between a 1/4 and 1/2 turn of the steering wheel. If I'm going slower or faster, or make a sharper or more gradual turn it won't make the noise. Turning to the right doesn't make the noise either. It makes the noise whether in 2WD or 4WD modes. It is a metallic sounding "rhythmic" noise that is related to speed. In other words, it is faster at 30 MPH than it is at 10 MPH. The dealer looked over the front suspension completely but found nothing wrong. We replaced the front tires since they were ~75% worn, but it made no difference. Any suggestions?
  • bigmo999bigmo999 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 sequoia Sport model. This model came equipped with an air suspension system. Every time I go over a speed bump or small bump in the road it feels like my rear suspension bottoms out. The dealer told me that this is normal due to the air suspension, but I refuse to believe that this is the feeling of a almost new rear suspension. Anybody have any issues like mine. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks...
  • dgutdgut Member Posts: 12
    My 2001 sequoia has done the same thing. In 2004 is when the problem first started. The VSC lights would come on and beep and we would loose traction briefly at random times (small bumps, trying to get out into traffic quickly). Sometimes the VSC warning lights would come on and stay on for days. We brought it to our local dealer and were told nothing was wrong, possibly a malfunction of the yaw rate sensor but it was functioning normally. It was mostly an annoyance until 8/18/06. 3 hours into a 14 hour road trip the VSC lights came on and there was beeping, again annoying but scary. We had just had the car into our dealer for a check engine light on 8/3/06. As usual, they said everything was working fine and that it was probably just a loose gas cap. Which we had heard several times before when the check engine light was on. We arrived at our destination, parked car for about 1 hour. Drove about 1 mile when the VSC went into total activation in traffic. This incident was different than before. Like your wife my husband had no way to stop the vehicle. The brakes do not work when this happens and all power to the engine is cut. All you can do is try to get off the road. We were almost rear ended and we had to go up on someone's lawn. We brought the car to the local dealer (Columbia, SC). $191 later, we were told it was just a sensor problem not a equipment failure and the part would take 3 days to get. Service rep advised us to drive vehicle back to CT and have sensor replaced there and that it was perfectly safe to drive the vehicle. That was a mistake! We were going 70 mph on an interstate in heavy trailer truck traffic when the VSC went into total activation for no reason. We could have been killed if we were not in the right lane and had a shoulder to get onto. When the shoulder ran out we were 1 foot away from a guardraid in front of us and about 1 foot away from passing trailer trucks going 70 mph. It was terrifying! We drove home slowly in the right hand lane. The next day I made an appointment with our dealer. I drove very slowly on all back roads. About 2 miles from dealer VSC went into total activation AGAIN. This was the first time I had experienced this. It had happened to me before briefly, but this seemed to go on forever. I could not stop the car! I was coming to an intersection with a Stop sign. Luckily I got under control and was able to stop. When I arrived at the dealer I told the service people to "keep the car, I don't want it anymore!". I left the car there and had the dealer bring me home. I am waiting to hear from a Toyota rep. We have had many other problems with this car, tires, brakes, exhaust manifold, rear hatch (3 times), check engine light comes on all the time, A/C, and one time we had our tires rotated at dealer and a couple of weeks later a wheel stud broke off because all of our lug nuts were loose! We could have been killed in that one too. I will never feel safe or trust Toyota Service again. I want to tell anyone with a Sequoia to be aware of this serious safety risk.
    I've been thinking about these issues and the dangers that seem to be eminent. Have any of you thought about having the data retrieved from the computer's memory on your vehicles ? Automobiles with today's technology should have the capability of tracking everything these vehicles do; does anyone know if I'm on the right track here ? I'm wondering if a local dealer could print off a report from the computer's computer ?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Tracking issues came up earlier this week on the Straightline blog:

Car buyers must be told of black boxes
  • rcamserrotrcamserrot Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2003 sequoia with 29,900 miles.. Dealor says the 30,000 mile check up is due, with a cost of $560.00...I have been faithful with oil changes when required and had to install new brakes a few months back..the truck is running great.... But to pay $560.oo for a check up..Is this 30,000 mile check up worth it... I am wondering if 2003 owners with more miles than 40,000 have had there check ups and are they runnning into problems because they did not get the check up at 30,000.. the service center expressed the importance of this 30,000 for draing of fluids and someting about the fuel pump... thanks in advance for your commments...
  • arslanarslan Member Posts: 36
    My 03 Sequoia has about 57,000 miles. I've changed the brake pads and turned the rotors twice; the tires were replaced once, from Dunlop to Michelin; one tranny flush at 30,000 miles and regular oil changes at 5,000 mile intervals. Other than the common nuisance problems noted above, my SR5 continues to run smoothly.
  • low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    Was wondering if anyone of you may have the same noise as my 02 LTD 4WD. The intermittent buzzing noise occurs when I turn my engine off and it can be heard from the rear driver side wheel well. It goes away after 15 minutes.

What could it be? Rear AC?

Thanks in advance for you response.
  • daughertydaugherty Member Posts: 2
    Your problem sounds almost identical to our experience. We had trasmission replaced in 2001 Sequoia at about 90,000 miles. We purchased this vehicle used and Toyota Certified. Now here we are 4 months after transmission was replaced and truck is doing the same things as before lurching, slipping out of gear, etc. We had it towed to another Toyota dealer who says we need transfer case. Service person also said, "Did you know you have 2 different size tires on your truck?" He added, "This can cause transfer case to go bad." I'm suspecting that it can also cause transmission problem. Now I want to know how Toyota certified my vehicle with 2 different size tires.
    Dealer ran computer diagnosis and concluded the Yaw Rate sensor and steering angle sensor would both have to be replaced at a cost of $1,070. Toyota has refused to help us out in any way even though this malfunction could have cost us our lives. Dealer trying to help us. We have reported this safety concern to NHTSA. Found same problem on another 2001 Sequoia on the NHTSA web site reported in Nov. 2003. They too lost control of vehicle at 70 mph on interstate. If any one else has had this problem with Steering Angle Sensor, please reply.
    Toyota Certified means taking a trade-in and wash the exterior of the car and vacuum the interior and putting it right back on the lot for sale.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The trade-in must have less than 85,000 miles on it and be less than six model years old to be certified. The 160-Point Quality Assurance Inspection probably does include a wash and vacuum.

I'd be curious to know what size the spare is - or maybe it's a real Krispy Kreme donut? :shades:

More here - Certified Used Vehicle Programs. I'm assuming you're still within the 7/100 limited powertrain coverage?
  • daughertydaugherty Member Posts: 2
    Service manager now says that he made an error - tires are all the same. Of course he told me this right after I had all 4 tires replaced. They had about 9 months worth of tread left.
  • rlistrlist Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am experiencing the same problem you mention with loud roar noticable during accelleration. I have an '03 Sequoia Limited with 64,000 miles and I just had both front wheel bearings replaced but the roar/whirring noise persists. My mechanic is perplexed. Can anyone shed any light on this issue? I didn't see a response to your query and wanted to know if you have resolved the problem?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
  • csoukupcsoukup Member Posts: 2
    2005 Toyota Sequoia
    We keep having this awful problem when we come to a stop light/sign. We are jolted forward. It feels so intense that my Husband & I have both gotten out of the Sequoia on several occasions thinking that we had been rear-ended. Toyota says it must be the engine surging when the a/c motor starts - but this is awful. I can't believe that a $45,000 suv would throw it's passengers forward in order for the a/c to work. Has anyone else experienced this problem or is it just our Sequoia?
    It is a very common problem. The Tundra and Tacoma has it also. Please do a search on this forum and you will see that it is the propeller shaft that is causing it. I had the dealer grease it and the problem will temporary go away for awhile until it comes back. Then, you do it again. I got it done the first time under warranty but I believe they will charge you. Just complain nicely to your SA and he may waive the charges.

Also, it happens in the Lexus SUVs as well but they issued a TSB to get it fixed. For those of us who owns Toyota, it is too bad.

Good Luck.
  • husky92husky92 Member Posts: 56
    We went with Michelin Cross Terrain SUV. Definitely a better ride than the stock Dunlop tires. Ours is an '03 4WD SR5.
  • husky92husky92 Member Posts: 56
    Seems like there are various problems with the VSC light being on. I'll just post my experience and details of the problem for comparison. Our '03 4WD SR5 just had a problem with the VSC and traction control lights staying on. We took it to the dealer and were told that the entire VSC/ABS/TRAC system was out and we needed a new "Computer" totalling $1600, mostly for the part. Our truck is about 3 and a half years old with about 40,000 miles. The service guy was no help at all. We asked him to get us in contact with the regional service manner and were told that "he won't talk to you". I asked if I could have the regional service manner tell us personally that he wouldn't talk to us and he refused to get us in contact with him. I then called the 1-800 number I've seen posted on this site (800-331-4331) and lodged a complaint. They gave me the number of the customer service rep (I think that's her title) and we contacted her directly leaving a message. Within about an hour we got a call back from the service department that they were going to replace the part under warranty. Something to note is that the guy from Toyota looked up our service history and said that they take into account the fact that we've done most of our service at the dealer up to this point.

While this is good news, knowing that we could potentially have another $1600 repair at 80,000 miles makes me concerned about the long term reliability of this thing. The Toyota representative had no specific information on a TSB related to the VSC system for my '03. Has anybody been able to distill all of the various VSC problems reported on this board to determine if there is anything in common with them? Maybe we could come up with a fairly comprehensive VSC problem survey that people could fill out in a thread on this board.
    We also had major problems with our VSC system. See my posting #1563. Our problem was diagnosed as a Steering Angle sensor and Yaw rate sensor. We contacted Toyota and got no where. When these sensors fail (in our experience) the results could be deadly. When you are going 70mph on an interstate and all of a sudden your VSC system activates (cuts power to engine and applies brakes, the only thing you can do is steer) and does not stop until the vehicle comes to a stop is terrifying. We were lucky we were in the right hand lane and could get off the road, if not we would have been involved in a serious accident. We were told by a dealer that sensor problems were nothing to worry about and driving the vehicle was safe. He was dead WRONG! We have no trust in Toyota service and did not repair the vehicle, We got rid of it! We traded it into the dealer. I would be more than willing to fill out a survey of VSC problems.
  • melinda1melinda1 Member Posts: 2
    We had the same problem on our '03 limited. It took about a year for them to figure it out and they did fix it. They never seemed too worried about it. We also have a problem where our brake light comes on & stays on, but there is plenty of brake fluid. It stopped for about a year and just did it again today. It goes in Tuesday. It is now out of warranty so we'll see what they say.
  • luvtoyotasluvtoyotas Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Sequoia and I seem to have some kind of problem when my A/C is on. It seems to take alot from my engine or bogg down my transmission. I am not sure what it is but the transmission shifts harder when I have the A/C on and it seems to take longer for it to shift but when I turn the A/C off, it runs fine again...any advice out before I take it to the dealership? I don't have the lurging at the stop lights that other people mention. Only hard, slow shifting when I drive especially up a hill with the A/C on. Thanks
  • deviyiyadeviyiya Member Posts: 25
    I just had a blow out of my Dunlop tires on my Sequoia a few days ago on the highway. The blown tire did some damage. Has anybody had a tire failure? Will Dunlop replace the nblown tire and will they pay for the damage?
  • western_canukwestern_canuk Member Posts: 1
    Mine was stuck as well. I checked with a volt meter, and found power OK. There are two wires plus ground.
    The motor is a DC Permanent magnet motor. There are graphite brushes inside. I suspect the brushes get stuck, and eventually wear to the point where they lose contact. A sharp rap with a screwdriver will allow the springs to reset the brushes.
    I expect that it will happen again, but it only takes 15 minutes to do. Cheaper than a new motor.