Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nuginugi Member Posts: 4
    Just venting here. I purchased my 2004 Toyota Sequoia with an extended 7 year 100k platinum warranty. Never needed until recently when 1) the Drive light on the dash board went out, not a huge deal but when the car is in Drive, the instrument panel is blank. Anyway it was not covered because it was considered a light bulb, even though it is not really accessible for the normal driver, so that sucked!!. 2) The check engine light came on the other day , took it down to the dealer to fix the problem, thought to myself, good think I bought that extended warranty since it didn't apply to the drive light at least I get some ROI here. They came back and stated it was a P0441, P0446 EVAP system leak detected and stated, I left the gas cap loose (which I didn't and would be the first time in 5 yeer expressing my displeasure with the service director, he said he'd split the cosars). Plus tank was haft empty... does it take 4 days for a light to turn on? Thank you very much, now bend over and take this.....$131 diagnostic fee, What a rip. I told them about the great platinum plan i bought and how they said it would cover everything, but then he states that they have nothing to do with the extended warranty stuff, Getting upset, I told him I bought the extended warranty from Toyota, the same name embroidered on his shirt and on his paychecks so please do tell me they have nothing to do with the extended warranty (sigh)..Anyways he offered to split the diagnostic fee, so I paid $65.50 which was a little less painful. Wondering if I should bring it back if the check engine light comes back on, just for them to tell me i left the gas cap loose and charge me $131 again. Funny if they had found a problem, there wouldn't have been a charge, but because they didn't they had to charge me. Save your money and don't go with the extended warranty. The 2 times I tried to use it I got denied. My two cents.
  • trapper51trapper51 Member Posts: 27
    I empathize with your experience. I also believe that your extended warranty is good at ANY repair shop not just Toyota - so cultivate a relationship with a trustworth place that has good equipment and can work on Toyotas. That said, replacing the PRNDL (park,reverse, neutral....) lite as its called, was quoted to me on my 2001 Seq at 190k miles for $125. I balked, having just had 2 Toyotas in for timing belt replacement - about $1800 for both - so out of the blue the dealer called me the following week for a FREE PRNDL lite replacement - good PR I think. On the Diagnostic charge - I have been charged $65 to tell me my check engine lite was ON because my Brake Fluid was low. I was burned but now having a techician in the family, I understand fancy dealers need to recover techician time regardless of the simplicity of the fix, else have few tech's on staff - which hurts us all. Save for the few Check engine and Oxy sensor issues, my 2001 has been a rock compared to the Yukons and Explorers of the world.
  • hjmarthjmart Member Posts: 2
    :) I have read most of your posts with intense interest. Even though there are a few bad ones out there I can assure you all that toyota makes a superior truck. I have a 2002 with 130,000 miles. I have changed the timing belt at 110k which I admit is late, changed the oil on time, flushed the brake system, lubed the chassis and besides consumable parts like brake pads and roters, one battery and a set of michelins I have had no problems with my seqoiua. I am a bit disturbed by the clicking noise from the engine but the explanations I received from this forum seem plausible. The noise has not hurt the performance. I recently looked at a new sequoia but the one I have runs just fine so i changed my mind. I guess this is the opposite of venting. I'm happy.
  • rangeriderrangerider Member Posts: 1
    I had to change the O2 sensor today on my Sequoia. The one I bought at Auto Zone had different color wires than the old one I took off. I could not make heads or tails of the directions on how to match the colors correctly. I went back Auto Zone and the guy didn't know any more than I did. Can anyone tell me how to wire up the new O2 senor to the plug that plugs into the wiring harness?
  • glo6glo6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Limited Toyota Sequoia with 117K miles. I purchased it new. I haven't had the belts changed yet. Is this going to cause me problems? When should the belts have been changed? I've done all other maintenance checks, oil changes,tires recalls etc.

I'm trying to stretch a dollar, but I don't want to delay this too long and damage the engine.

Thanks,
  • belair3belair3 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem. have you found an ans to this problem yet? Please let me know what you found out.

Thanks
  • belair3belair3 Member Posts: 2
    When these light can on did you also loose power; no acceleration? please advise.

Thanks
  • hjmarthjmart Member Posts: 2
    You didn't specify which belts you were refering to because this V8 also has a timing belt. There was a noise problem with the alternator and fan belts during cold weather. The newer belts have been manufactured to compensate for the colder temperatures and are very quiet. If they have no visible cracks or frayed edges, they are good for about 36K or three years. The trick is to change them out before they fail and leave you stranded. Serpentine belts are good for about 5 years because they are thinner, run cooler and are more flexible. The timing belt should be changed at 90K. Again, change it before it fails. I changed mine at 117K but I could have just been lucky.
  • reaureau Member Posts: 18
    The dealership I have my Toyota serviced at told me I need to have the timing and drive belt replaced (agree it is recommended) and the quote is $699.95. Is this a reasonable amount? I only ask because it seems since they have moved to their new high cost building their "recommendations" seem to come more frequently and are costing me more every time I bring the car in for an oil change. It is a 2003 with around 95,000 miles, and I do agree that it is needed just want to be sure I am not being ripped off. Is it better to have this done at the dealership? I do have an independent mechanic that works on my son's car that I trust and I will get a quote from him unless you think this is a reasonable amount, then I won't bother. But it does need to be done ASAP for a trip this weekend. Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Someone over in the Sequoia Consumer Reviews paid $700 last June. Someone else paid $1,500! (same month).

Not cheap either way. :sick:
  • reaureau Member Posts: 18
    Ouch! Well, I must say that with the exception of the rear door latch breaking last year (I see from these boards that it is quite common and expensive to repair!) that I really have not had to put any money into this car and it still looks and works great. So, I guess I will call and have them do the job. I just wanted to be sure. Like I said, since they have moved to their building I seem to be getting a lot more suggestions on work that needs to be done.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I didn't check but it's good to do if yours is an interference engine.

Service writers tend to work on commission, so they do tend to "make suggestions".
  • tleatlea Member Posts: 1
    This seems to be a common occurrence. The ABS system fails causing the VSC and Track lights as well as the break warning lights to appear. I lost control of the car with a strong pull to the left, grinding sound and inability to stop the car. The car also began to shake violently. Toyota says this is not a safety issue and will not issue a recall. The cost to fix said problem is around $4000!!!! I have contacted the NHTSA and filed a complaint, this is the only way to make Toyota responsible. If you are having the same issue PLEASE call 888-327-4236 and file a complaint. There is only strength in numbers. They must fix this before someone gets killed!!!
  • starqnstarqn Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for the info! I'm calling and reporting it -

I too have a 2003 Toyota Sequoia with the SAME problem! I haven't had the shaking or the loss of control YET but, I don't want to. The dealership is telling me that they are the only ones who can get the part and fix it. $3k - BS
    Right before a planned Xmas vacation????
    Check this out -

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Complaint/2003/Toyota/Sequoia

HUNDREDS of folks having same problem - if we could get them all to call and report it...
  • sidlogansidlogan Member Posts: 1
    had anybody done it yet,do it youself.Need advice how to do it,do crankshaft and camshaft t mark have to line up before you you put timing belt and serpentine belt?
  • ricjo4611ricjo4611 Member Posts: 7
    I brought my car to the dealer and told me the Yaw Rate Sensor and Skid Control must be replaced from $600 - 1,600. I was surprised about it since I have only 42,000 miles on it. The code is 1223 ABS control system and 1244 deceleration sensor. According to TSB#00303 - vsc Light on condition with diagnostic trouble code C1231 in the skid control computer memory. A modification to the sked control computer logic hwas bee made to prevent this condition, November 18, 2003. I think this is a defective part or system. I have read many problems regarding this...
    I have the same problem and Toyota dealer will be charging me $600 up to 1,600 to replace the Yaw rate sensor and skid control system. It is rediculous for Toyota cars, and I have only 42,000 miles on it. I have also Toyota Camry and hope it will not be like that. Next time buying cars, I am going for Honda.
  • warrant_erowarrant_ero Member Posts: 16
    All,
    Just brought my 08 Sequoia Limited back to the dealer to replace about seven rusted hose clamps. It was all very strange, like something had been sprayed on the clamps making them rust. Dealer replaced them.

Any one else experience this problem? Only 6K miles on vehicle.
  • vince28vince28 Member Posts: 2
    My 03 rear hatch door handle broke & the door is locked in the closed position. I have ordered the new part however cannot find any detailed instructions in how to properly disassemble the door without damaging it to install the new handle. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks
  • John9393John9393 Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem a few months ago. I googled "Sequoia rear door handle" and found a lot of folks out there with the same problem. It's a bit hard to apply some of the instructions you find without pics... Even if you don't understand everything now, read through and you'll know a few things not to do...

This page helped me the most:
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_replace_a_broken_rear_door_handle_on_a_2002- _Toyota_Sequoia

For me the hardest part was getting the hatch open so I could work on it - and I will say once you get it open, put something over the latch so it can't close again - I kept trying to find a better working position, and closing the hatch again by accident.

Good luck!
  • vince28vince28 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you John. Can you give me any advise on how to properly remove the trim without damaging it
  • kgrillkgrill Member Posts: 1
    I experienced this problem twice. The first occurrence at 20K and the second at approximately 40K. Both times repaired by the factory warranty at 20K and then the extended warranty at 40K but not before many visits, aggravation and inconvenience.
    I will call the above number and report my experience.

My 03 has had many electrical/electronic problems as well-rear wiper and washer functions not working, blown front speakers and now, failure of the fan motor to blow the A/C and Heater not to mention a cracked driver side door handle and broken handle on the rear hatch assembly that cost $350 to repair and the vehicle has only 53K miles.

I am disappointed in this vehicle and will never buy another Toyota.

Ken
  • dgutdgut Member Posts: 12
    I also had this problem with our 2001 Sequoia. It happened once, brought it to a dealer they said it was the YAW rate sensor and that it was fixed. Well, it was not. The lights came on and the car pulled, shook, and control was lost. We were on an interstate at 70 mph. It was pure luck that we were in the right lane did not crash as trailer trucks flew by us. I took the car to the dealer where we bought it (it happened again!) and told them I did not want it anymore and never got in it again. This was Fall of 2006. I wrote to Toyota, reported it to the NHTSA. Nothing was done. Toyota denied this was a problem. In light of recent events, I will call the number you provided to file another complaint. You are right, someone will be killed by this defect.
    I have the same problem with my Seqouia SR5 2003. The dealer told me it will cost me about $1600 to replace the computer module. It seems this is really a problem with this model. There was a Transportation Safety Board ruling about this problem. TSB # 00706 VSC related zero point calibration and sensor check. (NHTSA ID # 10022759, april 5, 2006). TSB # 00303 - VSC Ligt on condition with diagnostic trouble code C1231 in the skid control computer memory. A MODIFICATION TO THE SKED CONTROL COMPUTER LOGIC HAS BEEN MADE TO PREVENT THIS CONDITION. "TT (NHTSA ID # 10005246, NOVEMBER 14, 2003). How they made the modification if I bought the vehicle after the modification?
    I have the same problem with my Toyota Seqouia SR5 VSC Track Off Lights and ABS lights. I filed a complaint with the NHTSB. I think you have to do so also. National Highway Transportation Safety Board.
    I have the same problem and reported it to NHTSB for the record. Many have same problem with Seqouia 2003. You can do so also so that action will be taken.
    I have the same problem the VSC Track lights. Yes, so many have complaints about it. Can you elaborate about redirecting and insulating what part is it? thank you very much.
    How much did you pay? Thank you for the information.
  • seq200246seq200246 Member Posts: 3
    I have this same problem with my 2002 Sequoia SR5. It started at around 26000 miles and continues today at 59000 miles. From the many posts on many web sites that I've read, it appears the replacement ECMs ($2000-$3500) are no quarantee that the problem will be go away. I believe this is an electrical system failure that Toyota and NHTSA have been ignoring for years due to the high cost of a recall. I have again written to my congressman about this. It may take a "death count" for them to act on this. I will never again spend $42700.00 on a Toyota.
  • redphaedrusredphaedrus Member Posts: 9
    I posted a possible solution to this issue about 3 years ago. My wife has a 2003 Sequoia also. We suffered the same symptoms when her VSC light came on at around 36K miles. It did not turn out to be a computer problem. For our Sequoia, what I did was to clean off the sensors (they are magnetic) on all four wheels. The rear wheel sensors in particular. The magnetic nature of the sensors attract metallic shavings from the disc brake wear. I believe the sensitivity of the sensors are affected due to metallic shavings buildup so even if you replace the computer, the root cause of the problem still exists. It's been 3 years since I cleaned the sensors and the VSC issue has not reoccurred. Now the cleaning of the sensors is a matter of maintenance schedule.
  • ppr6ppr6 Member Posts: 1
    Red,
    Man I wish that I had read your post. I had Toyota of Dallas replace that computer to fix the VSC light twice. I knew that it was something simple.

The issue that I have had with my Sequoia is that I actually take it off road. It performs nicely but every time I take it in they look at me like, "You can't take this thing to the ranch. You are suppose to be using this vehicle to carpool to soccer." This attitude is pretty surprising coming from a manufacturer that has been notorious for building durable vehicles. It is really a shame and I wasted a lot of money on technicians who have less knowledge of their vehicles than the drivers like you.

I have also had the rear door handle break 5 times. And I can tell you that $350 is a cheap price to fix this. I am very disappointed with the rear handle situation. I finally created a workaround where I removed the inside door panel and fished the release cable out so that I can roll down the window and reach in and pull the cable to open the back hatch door. It's pretty embarrassing really and there is no check that you can write to fix this properly. It simply does not hold up very well.
  • redphaedrusredphaedrus Member Posts: 9
    I had a similar problem with the passenger-side door opener. We ordered the part through Firestone service center and I replaced it myself. I cost me about $27 for the part. My suggestion would be to find the part on-line and replace it yourself. it's pretty easy. All of the cosmetic interior panels are fastened with snap-in plastic rivets so gently pry them off to get to the cable which you already seem to know how to do.
  • donkeypuncherdonkeypuncher Member Posts: 3
    Saw this report on Fox News regarding the '03 Sequoia. Recall in May would address the vehicle's electronic stability control system

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/04/28/toyota-recalling-suvs-unintended-decel- eration/?test=latestnews
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Well I think the latest recall can end this thread and answer alot of questions on some issues with the SUV.

However, Here's the other 64 dollar question, while bias Consumer Reports Magazine was touting on how much greater the Sequoia was over the inferior US brands on how better there traction was in sand and snow, better quality build, quieter riding etc. how come they didn't find this problem during there so called elite testing methods, why because they were taking a few laps around the test track and just gave them the usual automatic passing grade. I guess big pay offs at the time from Toyota clouded there judgement some what.
  • gerranimalgerranimal Member Posts: 1
    Good Day,

I am interested in your possible solution regarding the VSC unit. All my sensor lights are on and I was told to clean the sensors and now I hear it from you. my problem is I don't know where the sensors are located, I can only assume behind each wheel, and how do I gain access to the sensors. also, How does one clean them once access has been obtained. I am not mechanically inclined but willing to try it if it save me $$$. I would appreciate a layman's reply from you, at your earliest convenience.

Thank you in advance for you time and knowledge
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I guess big pay offs at the time from Toyota clouded there judgement some what.

That would have to be a seriously large payoff because they'd be out of business the very next day if evidence of a payoff came to light.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    All in good time people get caught, look at Madof he partied for years until he got caught, Consumer Reports will fall it's just a matter of time.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Consumer Reports will fall it's just a matter of time.

Perhaps you could speed up their demise by showing us some evidence of payoffs and collusion? :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • harboharbo Member Posts: 136
    Do I understand the latest recall does not cover the 2002 Sequoia?? Apparently the 02' did not have the "updated" software. Sometimes you just get lucky and have those mechanical connections. (Except) for the lousy traction control for those who never learned to drive in snow, mud, soft sand or on ice, slick roads and gravel. <(-;
    I too am fortunate - have one of the 1st Sequoias in New England (2001 model delivery Dec 2000) and now with 218k miles, I have only had problems with the VSC lite coming on and not going off until I switched the vehicle off. No unintended acceleration or other vagaries described by later owners. Seems if its not broken, dont fix it. The only things not holding up of course are the latches - rear especially (top release and bottom clasp) - both can be done if you are handy and have 3 hrs. Other mechanicals all ok - electronics, power windows, sunroof etc. Driver side stuff is expected - seats and door etc get the most use, plus the 'D'rive lite on the dash (called PRNDL lite - for obvious reasons, unless you just hear the mechanic speak it and dont see it spelled out). Headlites have yet to burn out n 10 yrs -despite trying the Sylvania SilverStars, which last only a year and Sylvania 'defends' this - saying "thats normal for a 'high perforance lite". Sure. They replaced both when I complained. I have stopped using them - no advantage except color. Wish the '01 Seq had headlights and reflectors like my wife's Highlander - they light up the moon. Any good replacement reflectors or bulbs anyone can recommend? Good luck all.
  • arslanarslan Member Posts: 36
    My 03 SR5 was going strong at 136,000 until I heard a scraping sound that I thought correctly to be a worn brake pad. In any case, the dealer said my front brake pads and rotors would have to replaced. In addition, my right brake caliper is done. Then came the shocker: my right sway bar link was no good, and my steering rack was leaking. The consultant didn't have to mention that my check engine light was still on. On a prior visit, I told him my oxygen sensor was probably bad.

I'm going to try to do some of work myself. To that end, I ordered brake pads and a brake caliper overhaul kit from a Toyota dealer. I'd like to go aftermkt on everything else, assuming, of course, better quality parts are available. Any suggestions?
    My 02 Lmtd just crossed 140K. So far bulletproof. Please keep us in the loop regarding "do it yourself" sway bar link replacement. Big hammers, presses etc.
    Thx ..... Harbo <(-;
  • 004runner004runner Member Posts: 7
    One night this week our 2005 Sequoia SR5 sat outside overnight during a heavy rain. When we got up the two front windows AND the sunroof were open. What a mess.

Since then, it has happened a number of times........ After we've left the vehicle closed up, we return later to find the two front windows and the sunroof open. We've replaced the battery and terminals and had it looked at by the dealership. They hooked it up to their computers and couldn't find any error codes.

I suspect it has something to do with moisture/rain. Since we've had some dry days, we haven't had the problem again. Definitely want to get it sorted out though before the rain starts again.

Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Al
  • sequoia22sequoia22 Member Posts: 2
    I found out that in lorder to have a recall we must file a complaint by calling 1-888-327-4236. There are over 1000 people on various sites about vsc,emergency brake, check engine lights etc, but the only way we can get results is by calling and officially filing a complaint with the vehicle safety dept at number above.Lets help ourselves and one another. This is a safety issue that must be investigated. The man i spoke with said he only had 30 similar complaints as of 5-9-10!!!!
  • sequoia22sequoia22 Member Posts: 2
    Maybe we should contact Call for Action at 816-932-4321 to resolve our sequoia issues once and for all! Watching NBC News, i have seen how they send investigators out and get great results for the little people being taken advantage of by many businesses and corporations. Also you can call the NHTSA at 888-327-4236 and file a complaint. With enough consumers filing, wouldn't they have to do something. I'm calling both numbers because this is ridiculous!
    We are approaching 150,000 trouble free and safe miles on our 2002 Toyota Sequoia. It performs with utmost dependability for my wife and I, our children and grandchildren as we have local and out of state travel opportunities. I believe many of the issues surrounding electronic and computer controlled systems that do not function, may be a hazard best eliminated by solid mechanical connections (vs drive by wire or sensors) and expanded required driver education. Such things as vehicle skid control and accident avoidance can be taught, albeit with expense and time involvement. Given the number of people killed and injured each week (many of whom are our young people) it seems an effort that should be supported. Fortunately several drivers training schools are available and state support is expanding. Maybe part of the multi-millions of Federal fines to Toyota and other companies could be devoted to safe driving instruction.
    Signed, Harbo, raised on mud, snow, ice, gravel and former national competition license holder SCCA. <(-;
  • doby2doby2 Member Posts: 3
    I have to agree with the ditto. It's a very reliable vehicle that had a few concerns. My family and I have had two Seq we had a 2001 one of the first in area and our dealer was so great they delivered it to the door from there Indiana plant. We now have our second one 2005 and it hasn't let us down. My only complaint is the brakes and tires I Think that's because of the weight of the truck other wise it's been great and we have not had any major issues out of the vehicles.
    I have had the best luck with Toyota brand brake components, but a cabbie just told me he buys brake components that are guaranteed for life - just buy replacements and they reimburse you. Never heard of that but he swears by it - readily available too. Tires I use and have had very good luck with are Michelin LTX - long wearing and get me in and out of muddy places where I fish. My '01 (1st Jade Green shipped to New England) Seq has 218k miles and it owes me nothing at all. I'd buy another in a minute.
  • doby2doby2 Member Posts: 3
    What recall for 2003 didn't hear our year! I had the same issue I've bought two sets of tires in the last 12 months because they were damage due to the ball joint issue. if you get an answer let me know!
    02 Sequoia Lmt 2WD. I have 140,000 troublefree miles. 90,000 plus on the Michelin LTX with a tread wear factor of 500. Check the latest LTX which has a tread wear factor of 700. Unbelieveable. The original Bridgestones did not make 50,000.
    On my families (the kids) older cars we use BrakeMaster which does have lifetime parts replacement. For the Sequoia we use our excellent Right Toyota in Scottsdale, AZ.