Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• maywindmaywind Member Posts: 2
    Good to know I am not the only one with this problem. I drive a 2003 Sequoia. I had the ball joints replaced last October 2005 as part of the recall. Since then, my front right tire has been wearing out a lot faster than the others. I've taken the car in repeatedly for alignments. That didn't do any good. I've had to buy new tires every 20,000 - 25,000 miles. You're right - this is NOT NORMAL. When I contacted the Toyota Customer Center, I was told to take it back to the dealer who changed the ball joints. The dealer looked at it and said everything looks good. Well, it is not good. I sincerely believe that Toyota will sweep this problem under the rug. I'm sure they have bigger problems to deal with right now. I don't think I will buy another Toyota again. By the way, how did you deal with your problem?
  • saramaddiesaramaddie Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2008 Sequoia and have not yet taken it in for the recall service. I'm concerned that they will do more harm than good. Has anyone taken theirs in and is there any noticeable difference?
  • mccmmccm Member Posts: 1
    2004 Sequoia - had it detailed - looks great but now buttons are stuck on rear climate control

Will try to clean first but may have to remove.

Any thoughts on cleaning the sticky buttons?

Anyone know how to remove the unit?
  • harboharbo Member Posts: 136
    How about trying air pressure (or) one of the computer air pressure cleaners.
  • rtribblertribble Member Posts: 45
    We also have a 2008 Sequoia and have not taken it in for the recall yet as I also am concerned that the "fix" will be worse than it is now and also was waiting to see if anyone had received the "brake override" up-grade that was promised by Toyota as I believe this would make our Sequoia much safer.
    Has anyone been able to get the promised brake override installed? I know some claimed that the 2008 Sequoia came with this already in place but ours definitely does not have it.
  • gparker2gparker2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Toyota Sequoia and the leather has cracked on the sides of both the drivers and passenger seats. Toyota says this is normal wear and tear. The car is less than 5 years old. I believe it is poor quality of material for the area where the leather is located. The passenger seat is rarely used. I would hesitate to get a Toyota with leather interior unless you plan on having ripped up seats before you finish paying for the SUV.
    My 02' limited w/150K and factory leather is just beginning to show a crack on the left driver side just above the controls. Sounds like a case of a poor batch of leather on the o5'. Ask the dealer for repair adjustment.
  • luism1luism1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the name of the 2 selenoid like switches that are under the toyota sequoia brake master cylinder?
  • vchongvchong Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact problem you described at the moment. The passenger side tire shows heavy outer wear, while the driver's side tire shows some wear on the outer side. I have already ordered new tires for the front $450.00 ouch. And plan to have an alignment done when they are installed. However I have doubts that this is going to correct the problem. I looked at the suspension and I cannot even see any place for a camber adjustment. Would really like to know what the fix for this is before I end up spending a fortune.
  • maywindmaywind Member Posts: 2
    I don't think there is a fix for this particular problem. I've taken my Sequoia in several times (and at different places) for alignments. No luck. If we write to Toyota, maybe they can look into it. But, with the problems they've had to deal with this past months, I seriously doubt that they will give us the time of day. I am resigned to the fact that I probably got a lemon and I can't wait to get rid of this money trap.
    My 02 Lmtd w/ 150K. The Michelins have 95K and will may 100K+ with even wear all around. It is a 2WD which may be the difference. Is yours a 4wd ? Had it aligned once at 50K.
  • yatyat Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    We have an '01 with near 95,000 miles. The only real problems until now have been the rear latch mechanism and brakes. Wow, but this vehicle is hard on brakes. I am glad that I don't tow with it anymore. We haven't experienced any of the unpredictable VSC engagement problems that have been described elsewhere but it is not longer functioning. The VSC is now in permanent "off" mode. Considering the age of the vehicle and the limited number of serious formal complaints, I suspect that Toyota won't be covering this as a part of a recall. I haven't had any luck finding a mechanic to diagnose the problem. Apparently this particular model didn't allow for a remote plug-in. It looks like the dealer is going to be the only option and I am underwhelmed by the Anchorage Toyota dealer. I suspect that I'll end up shelling out a pretty tidy sum to get this fixed.

Have any of you had any luck getting this repaired by non-toyota franchise mechanics? Is this the whole enchilada or nothing sort of repair or are there various components that can be diagnosed and replaced piecemeal?
  • reggie6reggie6 Member Posts: 26
    Could you expand more on the problems you have had with this vehicle? I am considering purchasing a 2010 new Sequoia Platinum...$56K plus tax and would like to know your experiences. I currently have a 2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali which has been very reliable but I was thinking of a change.( its my 3rd one and GM has not changed the car and I don't like the new colors), I might even consider purchasing my GMC when it comes off lease ( never did that before) rather than spend $60K on a color I don't like. Thanks
    I have 150K on my 02 2WD Lmtd on the second set of front rotors and 3rd set of pads,1st set on the rears.

I would like to a permanently disengage the VSC. How can I accomplish ?? It gets in the way (by cutting the engine power when needed) in soft sand, mud, snow, slush etc. A REAL nuisance.!!

Thx ..... Chs
  • kineokineo Member Posts: 7
    My "01 (Prod. date 5/01) with 197K miles has no problems. With the obvious exception of the rear latch and brakes. Replacing the pads 30-35K has just become the norm. My mechanic after constulting a Toyota mechanic, says the brakes are just too small for the weight of the vechile. This past weekend I replace the latch myself. Follow the direction found here and it took me about 2.5 hours. I found a Metal latch online (A1Auto) for $50 hopefully this latch will hold up for more than a year. I would not trade this truck (Oh and yes u IT IS A TRUCK not a highlander) for any other vechile. Don't even ask about my Ford experencies. :sick:
    Kineo .... you make reference to "following the directions found here"....... is there an attachment of website for the directions? My 02 has 150K trouble free miles (accept for the rear latch).

Thx ....... harbo
    Harbo, Sorry, by following directions here I meant on the forum under rear hatch problems. Message #30, With one exception you do not have to get behind the window gears. Mine has round black rubber "gaskets" which you can pop off and with the use an extention on your 10mm socket get right in for the last two bolts, holding the handle in place.
  • trapper51trapper51 Member Posts: 27
    I just did my lower hatch mechanism - all rusted out for 3rd time on my '01with 218k miles. The part was a sealed/welded unit so replacement was $129 including a new acutator cable which was not needed, my cable was perfect - the job took 2-3 hrs. Bolted right in and worked w/o any special alignment issues. Take a moment to examine the components and condition of the automatic rear window - its expensive to have replaced and useful as hell when its working.
  • mewellmewell Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought new tires for my sequoia and had them aligned. Since that time, every time I start the car the clock is reset to 1:00 and my I have to turn on my airconditioning system which is reset to 75. What is going on? The manual says that if the clock is reset to 1:00 then it has been disconnected from the battery. it doesn't say how to remedy the situation. I have no idea whether the tire change is the cause of this issue or whether it is just coincidental. Is there a reset button or should I disconnect the battery and reconnect it ?
  • haltiganhaltigan Member Posts: 3
    Our sequoia is a 2008 and needs new tires. Does anyone have a view on what name is best. We live in the country and have 4 wheel drive ( although I have a tough time engaging it!) That is another whole issue! Any advice would be very greatful. thanks Lynne
    I have 100,000 miles on my Michelin LTX tires with a treadwear factor of 500. (265 70 R16 M/S) The new Michelin LTX 2 has a treadwear rating of 720. Who know's how many miles this new tire will run ..... ? Your 2008 likely has 17 inch. My Sequoia is a 2002 2wd rarely off road and driven mostly in Arizona, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Nevada. 150,000 trouble free miles. Much success to you.
    Thank you for your quick response harbo we were thinking either Michelin or Firestone. Yes they are 17 inch with 4WD. Getting through snow and LOTS of highway driving are our issues in New England. I'll keep you posted.
  • 2tired4kids2tired4kids Member Posts: 4
    My 2006 also has 4 weel drive issues, 3000 repair job. Be sure to engage it often, they said that would of helped, which I thought I did. Anyway on to the tires, after driving hundreds of miles in the Colorado/Utah winter snow taking boys to hockey games, I would recommend BFGoodriches. They have never let me down!
    Our 2008 Sequoia has a few issues... if you put a CD in the player you can't close the system. It gets stuck in neither an open or closed position, just ajared . The gps in my phone works better than the nav. system and I am still wondering about tires...Has anyone ever used General Grabber tires? or Goodrich Longtrail Tourers or Michelin LTX M/s2 ?? we have narrowed it down to these 3 but the prices are really different . I do want a good tire but if I am just paying for a name I can live with a no-name.
    Is there a way to use the Nav. system while driving?? Instead of pulling off the road? Thanks so much for any help.
    I have 100,000 on Michelin LTX MS, the older model with a treadwear factor of 500. The new LTX2 has a treadwear factor of 720. Who knows how far that one will run. So I feel the cost per mile is excellent. The original Bridgestones were done at 50,000, noisy and did not handle well. 2002 Limited 2wd.
  • trapper51trapper51 Member Posts: 27
    I am working on my fog lights and dont see them listed inside the relay box. I know which fuse it is but need to locate the relay - and Chiltons Manual doesnt show it. Can anyone help?
    Also - my power antenna died and Im going to replace it with a fixed mast. That too doesnt not even show up in a repair manual - does anyone know where the access port is for the power antenna - I cannot locate anything in wheel well or door. Glove box maybe? I've had this 2001 Toyota for 220k miles just under 10 years and no regrets. Has saved me bundles vs other big SUVs friends have.
    Tks all,
  • ckeehblerckeehbler Member Posts: 3
    Hopefully you have found detailed instructions both here on Edmunds under Sequoia hatch repair and you can find another video on u-tube that shows exactly how to replace
  • hp1234hp1234 Member Posts: 8
    I had my master key stolen so I wanted to add an additional master key to my car. I have tried the following procedures many times but could not get the additional key to program:

1) Close all doors
    2) Insert your MASTER key (BLACK) into the key cylinder
    3) Turn the ignition switch from LOCK to ON 5 times within 15 seconds (key end at ON)
    4) OPEN then CLOSE the driver's door 6 times within 20 seconds
    5) Remove the MASTER key from the ignition switch, insert the blank key in the key cylinder then turn to ON position
    6) While the blank key in the ON position, wait 60 seconds or more to allow the blank key register the key code
    7) after 60 seconds, remove the key. Open then Close the driver's door to end the process.

Has anyone successfully programmed an additional key/transponder for Sequoia 06?
  • sq05sq05 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 Sequoya LTD. The rear window wiper/washer stopped working after my battery died and I had to replace the battery. What could be the reason for this?
  • kenyalorenkenyaloren Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 toyota sequoia, that we LOVE! A couple of months ago the shifter cable broke. We just got the replacement part, but my dh is having a time getting the old one off. Any tips?
  • mateobrownmateobrown Member Posts: 1
    i got the same damn problem...door handle latch is fine...its seems problem is from cable to actual door latch...did u have any advice...
  • maryann12maryann12 Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I am trying to decide whether to get a used Toyota Sequoia or a Volvo xc90. I had a 02 4Runner until I totaled it last week :( Anyway, I'm leaning towards the Volvo, because it is smaller and seems to have a better ride, but I am concerned about maintenance costs. Are maintenance costs for the Sequoia comparable to that of the 4Runner? Any input I'd appreciate. Thanks
  • John9393John9393 Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2001 Sequoia with 160,000 miles. We did the timing belt at 100,000, and since then, the largest repair we've had was to replace both oxygen sensors around 150,000. I did it myself; cost us less than $300 for everything. Don't know anything about a Volvo, but we love our Sequoia.

My wife would like me to throw this in. If you have a dog, you and your dog have probably enjoyed the back window that rolls down on your 4Runner. Sequoia has it, Volvo doesn't. Your dog will miss that feature if you go with the Volvo! :)
    I have 165,000 on my very reliable 2002 Sequoia Lmt. Two sets of brake pads on front. One set on back. Just replacing (myself) the second serpentine belt ($60). Second set of Michelin LTX tires went 103,000 miles. (original Bridgestones replaced at 50,000. Just put a Michelins on again at 153,000. ($900 bucks with lifetime BUT divide that by 100,000 miles). Second Transmission "flush" at 165,000. Cost $147.
    Two rear latch handles (cost about $50). Change Castrol Syntec oil / filter each 10,000 miles. That's about it. Get about 17 mpg around town. 20 /21 on highway mostly in the 70+ mph range. Lots of discounts available through the Toyota dealers for service. Usually 15 to 20 %.

Basically I'd buy another Sequoia in a flash. Bulletproof. Expect this 2002 to go 300,000 unless you would like to buy it now. (-; sorry not for sale.

Grandkids love it ..... family loves it ..... wife loves it ... likes driving and riding the Sequoia over the Audi A8L.. Although the Audi is the "high speed" cross country cruiser.... and the Saturday to dinner with guests ride!! <(-; No Volvo experience.
  • bigd09bigd09 Member Posts: 1
    "My wife would like me to throw this in. If you have a dog, you and your dog have probably enjoyed the back window that rolls down on your 4Runner. Sequoia has it, Volvo doesn't. Your dog will miss that feature if you go with the Volvo!"

Our problem is the height my 13 year old Lab has to jump up just to get in. He tries and tries but just can't bring himself to jump up. I think he really misses our Chrysler T&C mini van.
  • deancarlsondeancarlson Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Sequoia 4x4 LTD with 167,000 miles. A few months ago it would start losing power and running real rough and the vsc/trac and trac off lights would come on and the check engine light would flash. After a few minutes it would go back to normal and would not come again until the engine was cold again. Sometimes it would never happen for a week or so. Now it happens all the time, then goes away, then comes back even when the engine is warmed up. A mechanic ran a code check on it and it said there were misfires on the #2, 4 and 7 cylinders. It was not happening while he was checking it. I have read all the VSC posts on this site and none have the intermittent loss of power on it but I did see someone ask another poster if it also had a loss of power, so he probably had it also (5 years ago). Nows that I am going through the file the previous owner gave me (I should have done this before I bought it), I see that it was diagnosed in March 2010 as having zero compression in the #3 cylinder. Hum, could be why my mileage is at best 15MPG, but could this be causeing my other issue? When the other issue is not active, the engine sounds fine. Should I cut my losses and trade it in or get a valve job and hope it fixes the rest of it too?
  • shooflyshoofly Member Posts: 1
    Newbie to forum, but love reading the posts so far. Went to have my 2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5
    inspected. Got call that it failed. It has a 1 3/4" hole in the frame near the front sway bar bracket/mount. I've got a little over 90K miles. After a quick google search I found that the 2001 tundra and Tacoma had a recall for this exact issue.
    I contacted North America Toyota and said no recalls for the Sequoia, you're out of luck.

PLEASE - calling anyone else who has experienced this - I want to make it my business to organize other Sequoia owners with this problem to demand compensation/action from Toyota.

Thanks in advance
  • wadetwadet Member Posts: 1
    Where on the wheels were the sensors located and what did you have to do to remove and clean them?
  • redphaedrusredphaedrus Member Posts: 9
    my instructions are on post #1720 but here it is again for convenience:

Take off the rear wheels. On the back side of the wheel hub, you will see some electrical lines going in to the wheel hub.
    Take off the bolt holding in the sensor. If there are metal flakes on the magnetized tips, clean them off and then replace.
    You will need to reset your computer by disconnecting the battery wire for a few minutes and then reconnect.
  • guybanarguybanar Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for this old post and i would appreciate to know if yours was fix; In fact in have a Toyota Sequoia SR5 (2004) as well and just like you my airbag light has been coming on and goes at time then come back; I went to see a good mechanic and was told that it`s shows a code B0101(Open in D squib circuit). The car is driving fine and nothing seems wrong to me; please i would like to know if you had finally resolved your airbag light problem and what was the problem?
    My 02 Sequoia with 165,000 miles has been bullettproof. Recently the key is not going into the cylinder slot smoothly. I suspect the tumblers are going bad. What is the proceedure to replace or repair.?
    Thx all ..... Chs
  • kattoy2003kattoy2003 Member Posts: 3
    My Sequoia loses power when turning to the left and now to the right. The skid control lights flash, sometimes it also beeps, and it loses acceleration. It is a 2003 with 147K on it. Is this the sensor problem you have been talking about?
  • pennydailypennydaily Member Posts: 1
    I will blame Toyota for my husband and I divorcing due to these continued problems with the VSC/TRAC/BRAKE lights on, the kick tire braking, lack of acceleration following braking and basically the sounds and feeling as if the entire engine is falling out when you are trying to stop after being in stop and go traffic for awhile (HELLO los Angeles!) Anyway-today, after being very assertive with my husband to get him to be assertive...he was NOT assertive and listened to the dealerships bullcrap about how THIS VIN number was not in the 2003 recall. That is so bogus when my SUV has the EXACT same issues. This is unreal and now will take me FOR-ever to keep writing letters and calling everyone. Thanks to Toyota my husband And I are not speaking. That will be my lawsuit.
  • tbones_77449tbones_77449 Member Posts: 1
    I am floored that I have had the exact same issues to occur. Door handle broken twice, Antenna broken, major leak in rear door, O2 Sensors, and the latest adventure is the Cat Converter. I really like the vechile, but I bought it based upon the so call reliability of "Toyota's". Appears a little age and the apparent weaknesses tell the truth.
  • areaganareagan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia and also have the grinding noise which sounds like car falling apart and temporary loss of control. Major safety issue. First mechanic said hub bering and axle bering so fixed and now its happening again and vsc, abs and skid lights engage. No more money to fix. This is insane. 4k spent on car this last year. Radiator, belts, brakes, timing belt, water pump, 2 door handles. Bought one year old with 20k miles on it so pretty good car till hit 130k but give me a break thats why a paid more for toyota. This is way more dangerous than any break and floor mat recalls they ever had. Makes that look like a joke.
  • dgutdgut Member Posts: 12
    This happened to me too. Suddenly had no control of the vehicle at 70 mph on a very busy interstate used by truckers. Thought I was going to die! Toyota knows about this problem for sure. I reported it to Toyota and the National Highway Safety Department. Nothing was done. I agree this is way more dangerous than the previous recalls. This happened to me in 2006. We even contacted the media and no one seemed to care. Maybe, you could try that. I carefully drove the Sequoia to my Toyota dealer (it did happen again on my way). I drove into the service bay and got out of the car, made a scene in front of the other customers, and told them they were taking it back because I would never drive it again. Dealer worked with us to trade in and purchase a different vehicle.
  • theweissertheweisser Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Me to 2001 sequoia sr5 Swiss cheese frame called toyota and they told me no recall. I asked them what i should do with the truck and they told me to list it on craigslist LOL i am serious. They just don't care that it is not road worthy and i should just screw the next guy. I just emailed the Today show and asked if they could do anther story on the toyota recalls i think you should do the same Toyota really needs to be called out on this ****.
  • cabin04cabin04 Member Posts: 31
    We've owned our 2002 Toyota Sequoia for almost 10 years and just learned from my mechanic that it may not pass the state safety inspection this December 2011 due to FRAME ROT and holes in the frame. I could not believe what I was seeing when my mechanic put it up on the lift and showed me the massive frame rot. The body of this vehicle is still in spotless condition and has been well maintained. I purchased this Toyota SUV to pull both boat and snowmobile trailers and my mechanic told me, "DO NOT toe anything with this vehicle until the frame is repaired and/or replaced". I have a family of 5 and am very concerned about their safety in this vehicle, and this is our only family vehicle.
    I just contacted my Toyota dealer to file a report. They informed me that someone from Toyota would be in touch with me.
    The Toyota Sequoia is built on the same frame as the Toyota Tundra that is currently being recalled. Therefore, Toyota needs to add the Sequoia to the same frame recall as the Toyota Tundra.
    I'm sure there are many Toyota Sequoia owners out there that are not even aware that their driving an SUV that has a rotting frame and is very unsafe. All Sequoia owners need to have an "independent mechanic" check the undercarriage of their Sequoia for "frame rot", as soon as possible. This is a major safety issue that Toyota needs to address immediately.
  • wilnerwilner Member Posts: 34
    thanks for posting, me too had a 2001 toyota sequoia first own. this is the first model of sequoia and i purchased it in 2001 of june. since then and up to now i always had the toyota dealer service it for me.
    I'm not sure from the vocabulary of the previous post where "wilner" is from, but I am curious as to the location of owners with frame rot. My 2001 with 235k on it has only minor surface rust on the frame. I have crawled under it and checked it thoroughly after reading these posts. I am in CT which has just recently started the use of just salt instead of the sand/salt mix. I still love my truck!! :)