Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cabin04cabin04 Member Posts: 31
    I live in New Hampshire where they us a great deal of salt on the roads in the winter, but I am always running my Sequoia through the car wash in the winter to get the salt off the under carriage.
  • jamesrjohnsonjamesrjohnson Member Posts: 2
    I am starting my process as well. Same thing AND the rear diff is rusted to the point where is is leaking right through the otherwise solid differential!
    How do we keep in touch?
    We need to keep after Toyota to address this frame rot major problem. I've sent an email to ABC News, Brian Ross, to possibly address and run another Toyota recall segment. We also need to keep adding Sequoia owners that have the same frame rot problem. All may not have this problem, but many do, and Toyota needs to address it and resolve this major problem.

We didn't pay $43K+ plus to have our SUVs declared junk within 10 years!
  • jamesrjohnsonjamesrjohnson Member Posts: 2
    I have posted my 2 issues (Frame Rot and Rear Differential Rot) with www.nhtsa.gov (Suggest everyone does the same) and discovered that others have these problems. I also discovered that there have been more than a few transmission replacements-which I had done 6 months ago and was not told that there was any problem with my differential!!!! HOLY YOU KNOW WHAT!
    Toyota has told me they will not do anything with the frame but asked me to bring the vehicle back to Toyota to get and estimate to repair the Differential. Stay tuned!
  • vtwindwishervtwindwisher Member Posts: 1
    Just found out this evening that my '01 Sequoia that I truly have loved and am now looking to sell also has the infamous frame rot that many of you are speaking of. Interesting how Toyota has not recalled these as they are the same as Tundra/Tacoma frame. Will also email nhtsa and see what can be done. What a drag to hear that my truck is now really unsellable.
  • skiman23skiman23 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same exact problem with my 2001 Sequoia, (rear differential rusted and leaking and rusted frame)... I called the 800 Customer relations Toyota number and was told there is nothing they would do as it’s an old truck out of warranty... even though it has been maintained by the dealer and undercoated at the dealer when purchased new. I am now working with the dealer for a solution and the factory field rep. I was wondering if you had any success getting them (dealer or factory) to pay for the repairs. Of course they say they have no record of similar problems!
    Thank you
    I believe the Toyota dealers hands are tied. You should file a claim directly with Toyota and also file a formal complaint with the NHTSA to be added into their database. Hopefully the NHTSA will receive enough complaints about the "FRAME ROT" of Toyota Sequoia's and force Toyota to issue a "RECALL" of Sequoia frames that rot prematurely.
    I'm calling Channel 5 TV in Boston Monday morning. I understand they ran a segment a while back regarding "Frame Rot" of Toyotas. It may take the media to apply some pressure on Toyota.
    If CT has just recently started using just salt, your Sequoia frame will start showing rot within a couple years... And you will no longer love this vehicle!! From what I understand, the design of the Toyota frame is open on the top side, collecting water, salt, sand, dirt, etc. and no way for it to escape and also no way to really flush it out. Therefore, these frames are rotting from the inside out. I understand Toyota recently changed the frame design to prevent this from happening.
  • kineokineo Member Posts: 7
    ;) Sorry but your mistaken, the frame is not open on the top side. Also CT was using a sand/salt mix and now is using straight salt. If my '01 with 236k on it now starts to rot in a few years. (With my annual mileage in excess of 35k.) It will then have about 340k on it and I will not only LOVE IT!!! But it will be the best Truck I've ever owned.
    I guess you're one of the few lucky Sequoia owners. I beleive Northern NE gets a little more snowfall than CT, and winters are longer. We've also enjoyed our Sequoia for the past 9 years, but are very unhappy that the frame has rotted and is undrivable.
  • ari_mari_m Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Sequoia and am in NJ. We are looking to purchase a new car, but I loved my Sequoia so much (and hate the new design) that I didn't want to let it go. Now I am worried about holding onto it, after reading your comments! Can someone tell me what symptoms to look for if I'm worried about frame rot? Can I see it just by crawling under the car and looking? I transport kids in my car often and am worried about its safety after seeing this information! Any information is greatly appreciated, and thank you all for posting this!!
    I continue to research and collect information regarding this problem.
    It appears that not all Sequoias are affected. And I'm not exactly sure why this is. It could be a number of factors(i.e. different frame manufacturers; recycled steel used; lack of protective coating, etc. etc.). If you look under your vehicle and see a lot of flaking rust on the frame, look even closer for possible holes through the frame. If you don't see alot of rust and flaking off of rust, you're probably one of the lucky ones, that doesn't have the problem, and may never have the problem. I've spoken with other 2001 & 2002 Sequoia owners within Northern NE, and some have the frame rot problem and some don't. I continue to gather information.
  • riviera_robriviera_rob Member Posts: 2
    In January of 2003 I bought my Sequoia new from the dealer. The truck rides nice, has been trouble free with the exception of 2 recalls. I stumbled across this rusty frame issue while googling over the weekend. Took a good look under the truck and Im shocked at what I saw!!

This truck is bearly 9 years old, cost me over $50,000 and has a mere 105,000 miles on it. I live in LI NY, and my Soccer Mom wife drives it.

I took a bunch of pictures, check them out here http://www.autobuff.com/toyota-sequoia

The most disturbing pictures are of the rear axle trailing arms and the rear differential. Forget about servicing the rear end, it looks like the filler bolt will just snap off. It appears as if their welding process is flawed as all welds are corroded, then spread to the rest of the metal.

I sent in a complaint at the NHTSA.gov along with the pictures. Come tomorrow I'm calling Toyota and filing a complaint with them. This is absolutely ridiculous.

I'd like to get more pictures up, so if you have them please get in contact with me. Please make sure to file a complaint NHTSA.gov, this is the ONLY way Toyota will be forced to correct this. Otherwise we're all left with useless junk as vehicles.

Thanks
    Thank you for writing and the pictures. I still need to take pics. My frame appears to be worse, but my vehicle is one year older. I would agree, it appears the rust starts at the welded frame joint and spreads out.
    I've filed a formal complaint to both Toyota and the NHTSA, but still have not hear from either one. I've also sent emails to both local and national news investigative units, hoping they would do a story on this serious Toyota Frame Rot problem. I believe the media could apply some pressure. I've heard that the differential will fail before the frame, but my frame has numerous rust holes and will not pass inspection and can not be repaired, because there's not enough solid material to weld support plates to. Toyota needs to recall and do something with the Sequoias that are affected.
  • riviera_robriviera_rob Member Posts: 2
    The worst part is that the rear axle trailing arms look like they will break at the welds. If a trailing arm broke at highway speeds, this would be catastrophic.

Bottom line, I made a bad choice with the Toyota Sequoia purchase.

Toyota needs to stand behind their product. Our Government needs to stand behind us.

Maybe the only reason Toyota recalled the Tundra was due to the hundreds of thousands that were sold, as opposed to the few tens of thousand Sequoias sold.

As the old saying goes, "The squeaky wheel gets the oil"

Its time to make some noise. My wife and I are informing all our friends, family and co-workers about this.
    A problem with spreading the word and getting more owners involved about this serious problem, is that everyone I know that has owned a 1st generation Toyota Sequoia have already traded it. And I wouldn't doubt the dealer didn't wholesale these Sequoias to South America, or even junked them. And you see very few Sequoias on the road today, not like you did a few years ago.

Yes, we need to become the squeaky wheel!

Toyota needs to make it right and not continue to blame salty roads!

Let's keep the communications moving and hope that Toyota does something soon!
    When filing a complaint online with the NHTSA, they ask you to select the component of complaint from a list of car components, but they do not list "Frame". And you need to select at least one. Therefore, some consumers may select "Unknown"; "Body"; "Drive Train"; etc., but this does not put us all in the same category as "premature frame rust/rot".
    I just learned that my NHTSA complaint, filed 3 months ago, IS NOT being investigated and not currently scheduled to be investigated. I'm not sure what it will take to get them to investigate this serious safety issue. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks.
  • swenlyswenly Member Posts: 1
    I have an '04 Limited with 110k miles. After recently installing new rear brakes (again) and turning front rotors (again) my fuel mileage has really fallen off, particularly during accelerations, at and and all speeds. I verified brake installation is good. Fuel filter was replaced 15k miles ago (15 months) new air filter, tire pressure is good. What could account for this
  • carlover55carlover55 Member Posts: 1
    I am all for starting a petition for this. Should we start a Facebook page and have everyone sign a petition there?
    Yes, a petition may help and a Facebook page would be a good mediam.
    Thanks.
  • p16000p16000 Member Posts: 1
    Try the following quick fixes. Check air filter and make sure no vacuum lines are loose. Tap sensor box on top of air filter. Check gas cap and make sure it clicks several times. Remove battery post from the negative post only - about 10 minutes. Allows computer system to clear. Replace terminal connection and start the engine.
  • harboharbo Member Posts: 136
    To be able to disengage the VSC for driving through loose sand, snow, mud etc., is essential. Maintaining lets say, 30 to 35 mph to stay on top of loose sand, snow and mud is critical. Yet the VSC cut off disengages at about 20 MPH, cutting engine power reducing the ability to maintain the speeds necessary to maintain forward motion and the vehicle sinks and is stuck. The VSC is effective for starting out in slippery conditions if your right foot is not sensitive enough, after that it interfers with maintain speeds necessary to not get stuck. All that said, there must be a basic wiring circuit where a control switch can be installed to disable the VSC engine power cut off. HELP me find the solution. Thx ALL.
    Thank you for the tips regarding the VSC and Check Engine light.
    I have had these problems with my 2002 Sequoia, but my most critical issue now is dealing with a premature frame rot / undercarriage rust. The Sequoia owners who have this "frame rot" problem are trying to gather more names of owners experiencing this same serious problem. If you know of other Sequoia owners, please pass the word. We'd like to hear from those who have this "Frame Rot" problem. Thank you.
  • mstacy1mstacy1 Member Posts: 9
    Hi, I own a 2001 Sequoia that I purchased in Milford, Massachusetts in December 2001. I have approx 158K miles on it...ITs still in great shape, but alas, I also have the frame rot problem....Luckily, no holes as of yet. I plan on filing complaint with Toyota and NHTSA. I had found another forum where a guy in Boston area got his frame replaced. He had a lawyer contact Toyota. I used to have great respect for Toyota but they have lost it. I will never buy another Toyota. I told them that in a recent survey I received. I figured I would be contacted, but it never happened.
    Thank you for your reply. It is greatly appreciated.
    I also purchased my 2002 Sequoia in December 2001 in Dover, NH. Mine has only 110K miles and the body and interior are still in spotless condition, but the frame has massive rust, plus rust holes. It's almost like the frame was not treated properly and/or missed the treatment entirely. I recently learned from Toyota corporate in California that they can't do anything for me. I also recently learned from the NHTSA that they only have 12 Sequoia "Frame Rot" complaints in their database. Therefore, we need to gather more Sequoia owners that have this "Frame Rot" problem.
    The way I discovered the holes in my frame, was by just peeling off layers of rust revealing the rust holes. It appears the rust starts at the welded seams and spreads from there. My rust holes are longgated holes where the seam and weld are or were at onetime.
    You'll also notice a design flaw on Sequoia's, at least on 2001/02's. There is a 1 1/4" by 3/4" opening on the side of the frame near the rear wheels. This designed opening allows water, snow, road salt, mud, sand, you name it into the closed frame, with no way to escape. Therefore, causing the frame to literally rot from the inside out.
    I welcome and appreciate replies and feedback. We need to get Toyota to make it right with Sequoia owners experiencing this serious "Frame Rot" problem.
    I look forward to hearing from you. Thank You.
    Can you provide me the name of the forum where the guy from Boston got his frame replaced, by having his lawyer contact Toyota?
    Thanks.
    Found the forum:
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/sitemap/t-178377.html

He was from Boston and he went to the Atty Generals office, his lawyer and WCVB TV. IT took him 4 months of pressure and Toyota gave in...

I wish I could talk to him
  • somrtymsomrtym Member Posts: 5
    Toyota is replacing my severely rotting 01 Sequoia frame at no cost to me. How can they replace the Tundra and not the Sequoia? That's my argument.
  • somrtymsomrtym Member Posts: 5
    2001 Sequoia. Took it in for regular maintenance check before a road trip. Rust was so bad Toyota service dept said it was unsafe to drive my family in. After 2 days of depression and car shopping, Toyota Corporate called us and offered to replace the frame at no cost to me. A little inconvenienced to rent a car to travel for Thanksgiving while the work is done, but VERY Thankful to Toyota!
  • trapper51trapper51 Member Posts: 27
    I need to escalate this back to Toyota - they told me just last week ONLY Tundra's are being replaced, and the Tundra Frame is significantly different that my 01 Seq, and from different mfgr. I told them they need to read Edmunds, and they just reached in my pocket and made my car un-saleable and unsafe. No response, other than the canned "I know how you must feel....". Afraid they don't. Can anyone let me know who at Toyota to contact or what Program this can fall under. All I have is an open ticket and Im pretty unwilling to refresh our 2 Toyotas if this is how they treat their customers...... again. Tks - Tom, Boston
    Couldnt agree more - its disappointing that the staffers now handling the "Customer Care" lines are feeding out this bad info about "No One else is complaining"! Are they serious? Maybe trying to flush out the scammers? Perhaps thats what their lawyers are telling them. Im on board for joining the movement to get this remedied - or we'll never be able to use these vehicles again, or sell/give away.
    Any Google group or facebook page yet?
    Tom - Boston
    What did you do to get Toyota to replace your Sequoia frame?
    Yes, I had the same agrument with Toyota and how they could replace the Tundra frame and not the effected Sequoia frames. They claimed that Sequoia's are not built on the same frame and blame the road salt of New England. Where are you located?
    Toyota Corporate in CA recently rejected my frame rot claim and said they could not do anything for me.
    I look forward to hearing from you. Thank You.
    Im all in - same problems, same stonewalling by Toyota just last week incl... Complete DENIAL!
    As of 2 weeks ago the NHTSA only have 12 formal complaints regarding Sequoia Frame Rot. And it didn't sound like they were going to start an investigation anytime soon regarding this serious problem. Does someone need to die before Toyota and/or NHTSA do anything?? It sounds like we may need to file a class action suit. Your thoughts? Thanks.
    I have a 2002 Sequoia, and also had the rear latch replaced this summer. The rear window track is also rotted out, but would cost $700 to replace, therefore can't use it. This rear gate rot with the latch and window track is also a Toyota design problem. It was discovered during this service that my "frame" had premature rust and rust holes in the frame. I'm curious to know if your 01 Sequoia frame also has excessive rust/rot. Are you located in a snow belt with road salt? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.
    This is great news! Congratulations! It sounds like you didn't need to involve a lawyer? Toyota Corp CA rejected my claim 2 weeks ago. How did you convince them to replace your frame? Where are you located?
    I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your time and consideration.
    What year is your Sequoia? Does your frame have any premature rust?
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you.
  • rustytoyrustytoy Member Posts: 3
    I called Toyota in California about a month ago when I noticed my differential case and frame were rotted out. I made the same argument to no avail, they just stonewalled me. In the meantime I'm afraid to drive the car. To spend this much money and have your car turn to junk from the inside out is a damn disgrace!
  • jlem1jlem1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Sequoia does not have the heated seat option. But, the driver's seat becomes very hot while driving. I called the dealer's service department but they had never heard of this. Anyone with ideas? Thanks
    If not done so already, make sure you file a formal complaint to the NHTSA.
    Thank you.
    Just filed a complaint with the NHTSA and with Toyota. I also followed up with a call to the local Toyota dealer. Already getting the run around. Being told that there is no formal policy on the repair of rust on the Sequioa. I own a 2001 Sequoia here in Massachusetts. I have always taken great care of the truck...NOw it cannot be driven because of excessive frame rot.
    Complaint filed with NHTSA.
    Thanks
    Since you are in Mass. maybe you want to try calling WCVB Channel 5, they seem to have an interest in our cause. I would call them myself but I am in New York. Please keep us posted.
  • wolfface31wolfface31 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Sequoia with exact issues of crazy VSC activation with hard shuddering from front left wheel, two broken rear latches (second one was warranty coverage), cd 6 changer that does not work, two front blown speakers from normal use. No frame rust though as I am in NC. I plan to do redphaedrus's plan of action in terms of checking for metal shavings to address the VSC issue.

Redphaedrus? can you review how to identify sensors again. I saw earlier posts. Do all 4 wheels have sensors? and what color are the wires for the sensors?
    Thanks in advance.
  • wolfface31wolfface31 Member Posts: 2
    I have replaced rear latch twice. first time was about 1.5 hours, second time was about 30 minutes. Sad plastic shame. If anybody needs tips on how to change then let me know. I think there are enough posts already though. Here to help anyways:)
  • jbopsjbops Member Posts: 1
    Our 2011 Sequoia started acting up recently as the weather started getting colder (October 2011). When starting the vehicle up the display remains dark. About 15 to 20 minutes later the display will magically turn on, and from that point will operate normally. We've noticed that the delay duration seems to be getting longer. I've taken the vehicle to Toyota and showed the admissions person the problem, only to have Toyota come back and say they didn't find a problem; no loose wires, no issues with operation. Subsequent searches on the Internet found someone in 2008 with the same problem, but appeared not to get any help. At this point I believe Toyota knows there's a problem, but is ignoring it because the vehicle is still under warranty. Any suggestions?
  • toyotatech1toyotatech1 Member Posts: 1
    I work at a dealership and we have replaced a few Sequoia frames so far. Another new Sequoia frame just came in the other day. They are only covering the frame, no additional parts. From what Ive heard is they were doing it case by case. We had a used one that I think they denied.
    Rivierra Rob,
    What is the status on your Sequoia Frame Rot problem?
    Any updates would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    You might look for mouse damaged wiring in the engine bay - seriously. My Seq has been outside a bit and I have since noticed a mouse nest inside and chewed wires near black fuse block - in just a week, as weather got colder! So have taken to putting TomCat blocks of mouse poison inside the engine bay - I tape the green 2" x1" poision blocks on each side struts with strips of duct tape. Seems to be working. good luck.
    Toyotatech1 - can you share what the criteria is that Toyota is using to determine what Seq's are candidates for the replacement? Age? Miles? Corp. tell me it was "likely road salt here in new England, and No Complaints to Date" (out and out lie) then i heard some replacements were done here, some with legal pressure, maybe not all. tks