Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jbanvillejbanville Member Posts: 20
    Doesn't Toyota have a 10 year corrosion warranty?
    Just checked: Toyota has a standard 5 yr. / unlimited mileage rust warranty.
  • deviyiyadeviyiya Member Posts: 25
    r!ot:

I posted this message in Nov 2003. An exhaust tip will help you avoid this problem. I installed it on my 2003 Seq. and it looks great. I haven't seen any rust.
    " Anyone interested in a 304 stainless steel tail pipe tip (exhaust tip) can order it from Brandsport.Com. I got it for approximately $50.00 while the dealer I talked to was asking $65.00. The sweet part is it is warranted by Toyota. The folks at Brandsport responded very quickly to my questions. The tip should arrive next week and it will make the Seq. very beautiful."
  • zippercatzippercat Member Posts: 7
    My dealer called Toyota and was told that the wireless headphones will ONLY work with the DVD option and that the Owner's Manual is wrong (it describes the wireless headphones under the rear audio section). My service manager said they had also experienced some problems with the headphones on the DVD units, and had to replace some parts of that system on several vehicles. Good Luck!
  • kellykelly Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I've got an 04 Limited with 1500 miles and I have been hearing a clicking sound either from behind the drivers seat or in the front dash area. I already have seen the posts about the self diagnostic clicking whenever you take off and I have heard that noise and that is definetly not it. Another piece to the puzzle is that I use a nextel cell phone quite often. Now, I have a buddy who works in an office and he said when he gets near certain computers, he hears the same sound as he heard in my truck. Anybody else have any info on this?? Is it something I should look in to? Thanks for the help.
  • bilsexbilsex Member Posts: 5
    I am registered as bilsex because I had an 03 expedition, what a mistake!!! Any way I won't brand bash, unless requested(see ford exp problems #482,694,696if you must),but when you start refering to your 40+ thousand $ ford expedition as the "extra d....e bag" it is time for it to leave. Any way this section should have been my home to begin with. I have a question. My boat really sinks the rear of the 04. Any ideas?
  • vickruc1vickruc1 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2003 LTD with the JBL premium sound system, rear audio, DVD and was getting clicking and static over the stereo system. It turned out to be my Nextel. When I turned off the Nextel the noise stopped. Apprarently as you drive it searches for signals and you'll get static back through the audio system. Recommend turning off the Nextel next time and see what happens. The owners manual actually makes a small reference that cell phones can cause interference in the sound system.
  • bp3959bp3959 Member Posts: 156
    Nextel phones are much worse than most other cell phones. I've had them interfere with tv's, house recievers, car stereos, other cell phones, and pretty much anything that can produce sound. Try this, set your nextel a few feet from your tv and call it, you can actually hear interference on the tv before the phone rings!
  • sequoiasoonsequoiasoon Member Posts: 223
    Did you get the load leveling rear end on the '04? Couple ideas to check or try. Equalizer hitch helps A LOT http://www.equalizerhitch.com/ How much does the boat weigh? what is the tongue weight? Might just need to adjust how boat sits on trailer. Air assist bags etc are available but kind of "mask" other possible problems. My neighbor just had the same problem with his 24' Seaswirl (about 5000lbs) the back of his F150 was almost on the ground when he brought it home. He went and had it checked and was at almost 600 lb tongue weight. They moved a couple things on the trailer and he's now at about 300 lbs, brought the back up a lot then added the equalizer and commented how much better it tows now.

Read back on some of my posts, you might be able to replace the shocks with the ones they use for the load leveling which are basically all hydraulic with no compressors or sensors to go bad. They equalize pressure differences as you drive by "pumping" fluid from one internal reservoir to another until it reaches its "level" position. When you first put the load (trailer) on it, it will drop but within a short distance will come back up.

And don't forget to turn the overdrive OFF to save your tranny when you tow.
  • dave61dave61 Member Posts: 1
    Same story with the Nextel that I had. My computer speaker used to click when a call was coming in. No other phone I've had has ever done that.
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    I'll ad my 2cents on load levelers. I tow a 21 foot travel trailer adn befor i put the levelers on it is unsafe to drive because of the sag and lack of control. The load levelers made all the difference in the world...
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    I'll add another "thumbs up" for the Equalizer Hitch. I use one when pulling our 24' travel trailer and it's fabulous. Weight distribution with built-in sway control. Very clean and effective setup.
  • kellykelly Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the responses, that clicking is from the cell phone and it is nice to know others have had the same problem. Thanks
  • joeyv75joeyv75 Member Posts: 3
    My 02 started the cold rythmic vibration this winter. I took it in, and first, they couldn't replicate the noise. I had to go in and take a drive with the mechanic. Next, they told me that warranty said it 'was normal', they changed the fluid, and sent me on my way. Inside, I thought "Interesting, a NEW normal noise that I hadn't heard in a year and a half." So, since this wasn't going anywhere, I took it home and waited til the weather warmed. I just took it to the shop yesterday. Once again, they couldn't replicate the noise, I went down and drove it with them. Ahah, surprisingly it was still there. Was told it was a front diff problem again and they would request to replace it. Toyota Warranty at least isn't calling it 'normal' anymore, but are not authorizing replacement of the front diff for this problem, because they have no fix. They also have no idea when they will have a fix, so I'm stuck with a loud, noisy, vibrating differential. Why is it the most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased has resulted in the worst service? Good luck to all getting their front diff's replaced. Hopefully, no accidents are caused by this issue.
  • spearsbmspearsbm Member Posts: 7
    Still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of our new '04. On the rear power window, I see that you can open it with the keyless remote. But is there no way to close it with the remote as well?

Thanks!
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    Correct!
  • zippercatzippercat Member Posts: 7
    You can't close the rear window with the remote, but remember that you can close it with the key in the lock in the rear hatch. And, I think it also can be closed with the key using the lock on the driver's door (along with closing the sunroof and any other open windows). I love opening the rear window as I walk up to it on a hot day-nothing faster to let the hot air out.
  • istargazeristargazer Member Posts: 9
    The rear window is separate from the front ones so the key in the driver's door won't control it. I do love that feature but I would love it more if it could be controlled by the remote.

I had a VW that has the same door lock window control as the Sequoia and someone made a little chip mod so that the same functions could be controlled with the remote. Then he sold it to anyone who wanted the same. He had a lot of buyers :0) Here's his site: http://www.alientech.net/

Maybe someone with the expertise could do the same for the Sequoia?
  • raymurraymur Member Posts: 29
    I ordered and received the Sequoia Exhaust tip. I have two questions. The tip does not extend beyond the rear bumper whan installed per instructions. Also I don't like the fact that it tips downward,doesn't look right should be straight. Any comments?
  • spearsbmspearsbm Member Posts: 7
    This may sound like a stupid question, but shouldn't the 12V auxilary power outlets still work with the car turned off? I thought that was the whole point. They work on all our other vehicles, but not the Sequoia.

Just wanted to check with you all before I called anyone.
    Nope, they only work with the key, this is to prevent draining your battery.
  • sovangsovang Member Posts: 56
    For those of you that have a 2004 Sequoia, is it normal for the brake pedal to make clicking sound when pressed and depressed? I don't recall hearing that on any of my other vehicles. Also, I don't recall this clicking sound when I first got my Sequoia.

Thanks,

sv
  • husky92husky92 Member Posts: 56
    It would be a safety hazard if you could close the rear window with the remote since you can easily close it from inside the house or a great distance away without actually seeing what or who might be in the way.
    Why is it a hazard when the other windows will reverse themselves if they feel an obsruction? Then Toyota should either put an all-weather switch for the window beside the handle for the rear liftgate or they should put a tiny infrared eye on the rear door and put an emitter in the remote so you must be within a certain distance and be pointing the remote at the door to close the window.
  • sovangsovang Member Posts: 56
    Just in case it helps someone else on this board, my brake pedal clicking problem turned out to be a bad spring. This is the small spring that is attached to the brake pedal. When you push down on the pedal, it stretches the spring. That was what made the clicking sound.

sv
    My dealership has restored my faith in Toyota today. I bought my 2001 Sequoia about 1 year ago with 51k miles on it, I have 89k today. When I bought the truck I specifically asked about the AC TSB to make sure I wouldn't have problems in the future, they pretended to look it up and the next day told me that that TSB didn't apply to my VIN.

Well a couple weeks ago my AC compressor locked up, looked up the TSB myself and sure enough I had been lied to by the sales manager when I bought the truck. Unfortunately the TSB is only good up to 36k miles. Contacted the service manager at my dealership and explained my story to see if they could help out with this $2,000 repair job. The response I recieved today is they will cover the parts and only charge 3 hours of labor as well as give me a brand new landcruiser to drive around for the day. This means I'm only in for a $200 repair job instead of $2,000! I'm absolutely amazed by this especially since this isn't even the same dealership I bought the truck from, new owners and employees, only thing the same is the building they are located in. More dealerships needs to work this way, take care of the customer and the customer will stick with you. This dealership has gained a longtime repeat customer because of this bit of generosity.
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    I was on the highway yesterday and noticed that the oil pressure gauge was below "L". All of the other gauges were fine. I pulled over and checked the cap and oil level and tried to find the sensor thinking it may be a loose wire. (It has mobil 1)
    I didn't find any obvious problem and drove home (with no apparent problems) At one point, the gauge went up to the 1st mark, but then back down to "L".
    This morning it was quite cool and when started, the gauge went up to the top mark, then gradually down to the center. I am not feeling too good about it, so took it to the dealership. While driving down, about 15 miles, the gauge was up to the 1st mark most of the time, but when idling before turning it off, it was back down to "L".
    Since it's Sunday, I'll have to hope they will look at it for me on Monday. We are supposed to leave on vacation on Wed. AM, so it's a hassle at best and could be a disaster if it's not an easy fix.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

Had the same problem twice on my '03. TSB # EL017-03 is for low oil pressure.

TSB UPDATE NOTICE:
    This TSB updates EL006–03. TSB EL006–03 is now obsolete and should be discarded.
    Some customers with Sequoia or Tundra vehicles may encounter an oil pressure gauge
    that reads abnormally low at idle. An updated oil pressure sender has been created to
    address this condition.

The oil pressure sender screws in right above where the oil filter is. They replaced mine while I waited in about 20 minutes. 2 months later it happened again and then they replaced the receiving unit which was some OUTRAGEOUS price but covered under warranty so I didn't really care. Had to drop it of night before the second time for convenience but by 9AM got the call it was done. Hasn't happened since. Comment on repair order was "second service for same problem, replaced receiving unit"
  • bilsexbilsex Member Posts: 5
    I installed air lift air bags and they are great. My boat trailer would have required major mods to use an EZ lift. The bags leveled the load and the handling was very stable at all speeds. I do not feel the need for a sway control unit. I have towed this boat extensively with other trucks/suv and the toyota performs as well as or better than the 03 exp,2000 durango,04 f150 super crew. Thanks for the input.
  • lcd1lcd1 Member Posts: 147
    My 2001 Sequoia with 27K miles started making some noises in the driver's door last summer while it was still under factory warranty. It sounded like something was loose inside the door, particularly when the window was being rolled up or down. I finally took it in about two months after the factory warranty expired to have the problem diagnosed and fixed along with a transmission flush. It turned out that a nut securing the motor of the powered window was loose. The dealer tightened the nut and charged $92.00. I bought Toyota's 6-year, 100K miles extended warranty but was told that it does not cover nuts. Has anyone experienced this loose nut problem problem or the absurdity of such a charge?

In July 2003, one of the side mirrors on my Seq. was vibrating badly that I couldn't use the mirror. It was a loose screw/nut problem. I think Toyota must have had a batch of cars that had improperly torqued screws/nuts.
    I got the Platinum warranty but it does not cover nuts. It happened that one of the nuts securing the driver's door power-window was loose and making noises and I was charged $92 for tightening it. According to the dealer, nuts are not covered under the warranty. The problem began while under factory warranty. I couldn't bring the car in for checkup until about two months after factory warrant expired. Even though I bought the Toyota's extended warranty, I feel that I got screwed.
    Re my post 746, yes it was the sender and was fixed under warranty. So far, so good.

I too was gouged by a dealer. I couldn't get the locks to NOT engage while putting the car in gear, so asked the dealer to deprogram it during it's regular service appt. It sounds so simple in the owner's manual, but I couldn't get it to work, even after reading several posts here! They charged $47.50 for what should be a 5 minute thing!! My wife picked up the car and didn't question the charge. When I saw the bill, which was outrageous for a maintenance sevice anyway, I called the dealer to complain. They said this was their normal charge to reprogram, but to placate me they sent me a coupon for a free oil change. I use Mobil 1, and am sure the coupon will cover that. LOL

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

If you have time, would you mind posting the instructions from the manual to reprogram the door locks. I've always wanted to reprogram them but my manual has no such instructions(2001 Sequoia).
    Update: Finally got my truck back last night with the AC fixed. Ended up costing me $278 and they took care of $1600 in charges. This is outstanding considering I'm 53,000 miles past the 36k the TSB is good for.
    I wish I could have done it. The reason I needed the dealer was because it wouldn't wook per the owners manual instructions. Go back to previous posts on this board. I tried their tips, but still couln't get it to work.

BP- Unfortunately you need to go to the dealer if you want it changed. Toyota changed it for '03 so the owner could do it. Prior to that it has to be done through the hand held unit the dealer has.

SB55- The owners manual leaves out that you need to release the lock after 5 seconds as the last step if I recall. I bought the repair manual CD from e-bay ($20 total, shipped) and it has everything on it. Programming door locks, spare keys, spare remotes, wire diagrams, maintenace procedures etc. A well spent $20 for me.
    Any idea what modes there are to choose from? I'm curious as to what other items could be reprogrammed.
    Thanks to a posting in this forum I was able to get the dealer to fix the boomy bass and rear fader problem, which are covered by the TSB. I should get the truck back today and hopefully will hear an improvement.

As for my previous posting about being charged $92 for tightening a nut securing the motor powering the driver's window, the same dealer still maintains that since the car is 2 months out of warranty and the Platinum warranty doesn't cover nuts, they had to charge me $92. Any suggestion who/where to take this issue to next? Toyota said the dealer is their eyes and ears. Apparently, the ears seem deft and eyes seem miopic. Thanks.
    Lock choices were:
    Auto lock when removed from park.
    Auto lock at/above 20 mph.
    Auto unlock by Ignition switch (drivers door must be opened within 10 seconds of turning off ignition)
    Auto unlock when back in park.

All 4 choices are independent and a yes/no option.

So, Yes, you can have it lock when you put in drive, make sure it's locked at 20 mph, unlock when you park and make sure it's unlocked by opening drivers door, or any combination of them (or not).
  • fattyfatty Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2004 Sequoia SR5 last night. I drove it home from the dealership and spent half an hour inside reading the owner's manual. Then, I went outside to play with the folding seats, etc., trying to figure the best way to seat my three kids. I settled on tumbling the smaller segment of the middle seat forward, so that two kids can easily get to the third seat and one can sit in the other segment of the second seat -- pretty standard arrangement. I leaned in to do something, and put my hand down on the bracket to which the tumbled seat hitches when it is in the normal position. That bracket was HOT!! Not hot enough to cause a significant burn, but definitely hot enough to hurt a child.

The bracket is directly above the muffler. I write to ask if anyone has approached Toyota about installing a heat shield between the muffler and the bottom of the car, so that the exposed brackets aren't a hazard.
    First, to 'fatty': That won't work. If you ever accelerate hard, the seat that is folded up will fall back and crush whatever is under it. And I have never checked nor noticed an part of the seat bracket becoming too hot to touch.

Anyway, I cotacted Toy corporate about my dissatisfaction with our '04 2wd Seq. It makes a rubbing sound w/ vibration from the front end when it rolls through a turn at any speed. The dealer heard/felt it, and replaced the front wheel bearings. They said another Seq. on their lot does it, so they think it is normal, but my OEM Bridgestones may be making it worse. After contacting Toy corporate, the local dealer is going to do some more research to see if they can track down any more complaints or figure out what is wrong.
  • jeannejeanne Member Posts: 2
    I am considering a Sequoia; I use an SUV to deliver wedding cakes and other desserts. I need a second row seat to be flat (no incline) and I've had to rule out Highlander, Pilot, MDX, BMW, etc. because the only vehicle I've found is the Jeep GCherokee which I will never buy again.
    Could current owners let me know how the seats work? Thanks, Jeanne
    Get a van.
    The second row is a 60/40 split fold, both of them fold up against the front seats and can be tied in that position.
    The second row of seats do tumbes forward and are held in place by a strap. But that strap CAN come loose loeing everything on the floor. How about the sion, they have the small car with huge cargo space.
    If you have problems with the straps coming loose, just move from seats forward and inch, strap the second row tight, and move the from seats back and it'll never come loose.
    Good suggestion and I'll use that on the drivers side. Unfortunatly where we alomoist always strap up the second row is the one behind the passengers side and my wife likes to change positions on the seat on long trips, making this technique hard.
  • m0000m0000 Member Posts: 5
    Hey toyonoise, I've experienced this drivetrain rumbling/vibration as long as I can remember (25k miles now) but only really pinned it down to the drive train on a recent road trip.

The dealer felt it on the highway and is giving me the old "that's normal" BS.

Can you let me know the email address you used to get accountability at Toyota? I'm not sure where to escalate this. neko(at)krweb.net
    Thank you!
  • raymurraymur Member Posts: 29
    Just had the windshield replaced on my 2001 sr5. The new upper molding has a 1/4 inch gap between the top of the molding and the edge of the roof,it is not the same as the original molding. Installing Glass company indicates that this is the correct molding.
    My feeling at this point is that the glass company installed it incorrectly because the part number they used,for the molding, is correct. The glass company refuses to correct this problem. Has anyone one else had a similar problem?
  • hogtiedhogtied Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an 04 Limited and on a 1200 mile trip noticed a vibe in the floors also, just thought it was me. I traded off my 95 T100 and it had a vibe at 3000 RPM, sitting still or driveing down the road. Dealer changed the muffler and it never did go away. 85,000 miles later it was still there. This Sequoia sure has the power, ride and quality I expect from Toyota. If anything does go wrong I know Toyota will be there, big thing is pick the right dealship with a service department you trust.