Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• sequoiasoonsequoiasoon Member Posts: 223
    Clicking and normal. It's part of self check for the VSC and Traction control. First click is at about 25 mph and second is at 30 mph. Mine does it every time I start the truck and first time I hit these speeds, after that it's quiet. I've been in a couple different Sequioa's and they all do it the same way. Be worried when you don't hear it anymore. Mine is an '03 SR5.
  • toyota2005toyota2005 Member Posts: 1
    hello everyone, i own a 2004 sequoia, i need everyones help on this. the right side second row seat has a problem, i dont know if its just my car or not. the handle on the right side seat is very loose, its the handle you use to flip up the seat, well the left side seats handle is solid, but the right side seat handle is veryyyy loose, it moves like half an inch in all sides, ive also checked the third row seat, there handles are both solid, its just the second row right seat that the handle is loose, CAN EVERYONE WHO OWN A SEQUOIA PLEASEEEE CHECK THERE SECOND ROW RIGHT SEAT HANDLE TO SEE IF IT IS LOOSE OR SOLID TIGHT?????THIS WOULD HELP ALOTTT. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!
  • texasmomtexasmom Member Posts: 114
    I forgot to check this when I did my 2 test drives of the Sequoia Limited with second row bucket seats. Do the second row bucket seats recline? I would call the dealership, but they have given me completely wrong answers before, so I don't trust their salespeople to answer questions. For example, I called to ask if the side mirrors could be gotten with a power retract function and the guy said, "no, not on any sequoia." I found out later this is wrong. So, I am asking the forum people. Does anybody know if the second row bucket seats recline? What about second row non-bucket seats, do they recline? Thanks in advance.
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Member Posts: 104
    The new second row bucket seats do recline. The bench seats also recline. It is hard to find a better suv out there.
  • bp3959bp3959 Member Posts: 156
    The second and third row seats recline, the third row also adjusts forward and backward for leg room vs cargo room behind it.
  • leeohanaleeohana Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a used 2001 Sequoia and we don't have the owner's manual (still on order through ebay). However, the window to the liftgate does it roll back up by pressing the button on the remote? It rolls down when I press the button but it doesn't when I press it to go up. I can close it by pressing the button on the dash but not on the remote. Am I doing something wrong?
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Radbot...can u give me a link or a site for the TSB on the sunroof? Thanks
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    No, the window on the liftgate does NOT roll up with the remote. You have to use the key in the liftgate (turn clockwise and hold) or use button on the dash. This is probably a safety/liability issue with Toyota as much as anything.
    Sorry, but Edmunds policy forbids the mentioning of a competitor's website. "Google" it though, and you'll probably find it.
  • leeohanaleeohana Member Posts: 3
    Thanks raddboy for answering so promptly.
  • aviatorjpnaviatorjpn Member Posts: 5
    I have 2001 SR5, 45000miles on it. I've been having the front brake problem. It gets squeaky noise when we have a hot weather or when I give a hard brake. I have taken my car to Firestone so many times. They have replaced Rotor, Resurfaced the disk, changed the caliper. They didn't solve the problem. I took my car to Toyota once, but I was told that it costs me $80 for just inspection. So I didn't have them looked at my car. Does anybody have the same problem? Any comment or help will be very appreciated!!
  • vehiclevalvehicleval Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I have a 2002 Sequoia Limited. My question is this. It has the home link system with 3 black buttons up on the console by the moon roof & rearview mirror which have white dots on them that are illuminated at night, 1st button having 1 dot, 2nd button having 2 dots and the 3rd button having 3 dots, meaning garage door 1, garage door 2 and garage door 3. When I purchased it new in 2002, the white dots on the buttons for the home link garage door openers were illuminated so you could see which button to push for whatever garage door you wanted to open. Over the past 16 months, the buttons are no longer illuminated. They have gone out 1 at a time. I know this for a fact because I drive at night and when I come home I would simply look up, see which button had the 3 illuminated dots on it and push it for my side of the garage to open. The dealership I bought my Sequoia at that also services it, has had no luck getting the buttons lit up again. I have been told repeatedly that they were never lit. They have called the factory and have looked at books and nobody can figure it out. Is it possible that the buttons may have had something like a "glow in the dark" paint on them and it has rubbed off? Did they only have the illuminated buttons on the 2002? This is driving me crazy since now I am opening all the other doors on my house but the right one because I can't see the little 3 white dots anymore! I also have a 2003 4-Runner Limited but the 3 buttons for the home link in this vehicle are grey rubber, no illumination, that is why I believe they may have taken this option out of the Toyota lineup. Any help would be appreciated! Sorry this post is so long, just very frustrated that I am constantly being told that they were never lit when I know they were.
  • raymurraymur Member Posts: 29
    I solved all brake problems on my 2001 sr5 by replacing the standard brake pads with ceramic pads. They cost a little more but they produce less dust, no noise and last longer than standard pads. Well worth the investment. I used Raybestos, but there are many manufacturers out there.
  • blackdog4blackdog4 Member Posts: 67
    My 2002 Ltd never had illuminatd buttons for the home link.
  • sharishari Member Posts: 5
    NO, STILL DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS. DEALER HAS HAD MY SEQUOIA FOR OVER A WEEK NOW "WORKING" ON STUFF, BUT HASN'T FOUND WHAT THE STATIC NOISE IS. MY EXHAUST SYSTEM HAD TO BE REPLACED THOUGH. IF YOU HAVE "THAT SMELL" GET TO THE DEALER, THERE IS A TSB OUT NOW ABOUT THE EXHAUST SYSTEM AND THEY WILL REPLACE IF IN WARRANTY.
    HAVE YOU FOUND YOURS YET?
    I never had a TSB done. I know now that there is a TSB on my 04 squeaky sunroof. My question is, how do I approach the dealer about this. Do I just tell them right away that I know there is a TSB out on it? Also, it seems like the squeak goes away when the dealer test drives it. Does the dealer have to hear it or can they jujst fix it regardless. Thanks
  • sharishari Member Posts: 5
    WHAT WERE THE RESULTS OF YOUR SPEAKER NOISE? JUST CURIOUS.
  • 2002sequoia2002sequoia Member Posts: 1
    I am new to this site, owned new 2002 SR5 2WD Sequoia with only 10,000 miles. Because did not drive much, so far have not noted any problem (knock on wood) for my Sequoia. I have read there are many problems for the Sequoia on this site. I know very little about TSB. Noted that there are many redesign or improvement for the model later than 2002. Before run out of guaranty, Any one please advice all the potential major problems may occur to this model under TSB or guaranty that will be fix or replace by TOYOTA. How do I check or isolate the problems and approach the dealer to make them replace the redesign and new improve for this car. I am sure that definitely the brake issue needed to take care. What can I tell the dealer about the brake? Thank you very much.
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Member Posts: 104
    I had an 03 Sequoia Limited,and now have an 05 Sequoia Limited and both home links were all illuminated. The E/M,1 dot,2dots,3dots,and the mode button. They are definitely lit by bulbs. I suggest telling the dealer to look at a new one on their lot. I can't believe they didn't already do this? Good Luck!!
  • vehiclevalvehicleval Member Posts: 2
    Thank You very much! I am not crazy. I am going to the dealership and ask to sit in a new one myself, and I will wait until the time change this weekend so it will be dark outside and then maybe they can see what I am talking about!
    Thanks again!
  • rxdoc1rxdoc1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2003 Sequoia limited. Recently the fuel gage has failed intermittently at the empty position when I start the vehicle. After about 10 -30 minutes it starts to slowly creep up to the proper level (close to full). This has happened on two separate occasions. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Thanks
    Bob
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    Just checked my 04 Ltd and the buttons are in fact illuminated.
  • auto9999auto9999 Member Posts: 86
    My 2000 Sequoia's engine ticking noise was completely fixed. My dealer, Parkway Toyota, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, found a cure for the noise. They re-mounted a part of fuel injector to another part of the engine room so the vibration from the fuel injector will not transmit to the body frame and to the cabin. Now my Sequoia is better than ever, as now I do not hear the engine ticking sound that was making me weary from day one, for about four years.
    With only 9200 miles on my 04 Sequoia, I have my "VSC OFF", "VSC TRAC"s and my "Check engine" lights on. A mechanic nest to where I work had the scanning too to check it. The result, a bad oxygen sensor. I know that this can and hopefull will be fixed under warranty but it is such a downer. Never had any engine/major problems with the other vehicles I have owned. Maybe I was just lucky with the other vehicle. The vehicle will be taken to the dealer to be fixed, would like to know what they have to say with the part going bad so quick. If it does get fixed and it goes bad again, I'll definitely will be getting rid of this vehicle. Has anyone else here had this problem?
  • jmckeejmckee Member Posts: 1
    apparently this is something that people have dealt with before and not really a big deal. The Tundra seem to have more probs with the O2 sensor. but it is the same engine. I am dealing with the same prob and will get it fixed this afternoon.
  • mannyboymannyboy Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2001 sequoia every time I accelerate I can smell my exhaust and it smells really bad is there something wrong with my SUV? and do I have to go to the dealer to get it fix? please help me anybody there that knows about this problem. Thanks
    You may have a cracked header. Early models had this problem. Does it sound different?
    wel wnet to the dealer and they scanned the computer. It had 3 problems, intake temp, mass air flow sensor, and th oxygen sensor. They weren't exactly sure which though. Therefore, they reset it and the lights ar off now. TRhey told me to come back if it comes back on and they will try to isolate the problem.
  • hutchwasherehutchwashere Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a new-to-me '02 Sequoia Limited with 21k. Much better than the caravan!

gkatz1 - could you email me the link to the TSB's? I want to see if some of them (front brakes) have been applied to my car.

Thanks!!!
    Send me an email and I'll tell you how to access it but it isn't free.
  • hutchwasherehutchwashere Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 Limited does have illuminated buttons for the home link. I suspect that blackdog4's bulbs are burned out as well....unless there was a change in the manufacturing run...
    Mannyboy, go to your dealer and have them apply TSB EG021-04. This is a relatively new TSB that addresses the exhaust smell from some Sequoias. It was a hard fought battle for many Sequoia owners to get Toyota to own up to the problem as many cases went to court regarding this issue. This should be a freebie even for your 2001 as the EPA mandates much longer warrantees for emissions. I believe they end up replacing several exhaust components and adjusting fuel mixture on the computer.
  • austx_sr5austx_sr5 Member Posts: 14
    Help me with my Sequoia please.

When I am going down any significant incline (hill) and I brake for more than 2 seconds (reducing my speed), my 2WD Sequoia downshifts forcing my RPMs up to close to 2700. This "Engine Braking" actually forces me to accelerate to maintain my momentum (speed)down hill.

I can't determine if this is a normal function or if i have a transmission issue, or if this is normal, then is it adjustable.

It is driving me crazy because i know that i am increasing my gas consumption and I am having to accelerate to complete my downhill progression.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Zlaneb
    Austin, TX
  • toyofannewtoyofannew Member Posts: 24
    you'd better to ask dealer to change all three now. I have a friend who has a 01 Tundra. His truck has the same problem: 1st, change the Oxygen sensor; then, several month later, intake temp; another several months, flow sensor. The problem is he have to pay other two sensors as the warranty was over. Toyota should know its problems and cannot pass the costs to buyers.
    I have a 03 SR5 and have this problem for over a year. I went to the dealer twice to fix it. But, it only worked for a couple of months. My warranty will expire soon (>32K). Any one has an idea what I can do? Thanks.
    You did nothing wrong. It works this way. Quite stupid, right?
    Just to be sure, the "Window Lockout" button isn't depressed right? This is the button on the driver's door armrest next to all four window controls. Having this depressed (locked) not only keeps the passenger windows from rolling down, but also the rear window! Not so obvious sometimes with more than one driver in the house.
    Thank you for the comments. Unfortunately, it's not my case. Whenever I try to open it, I can hear the motor running but window doesn't move. I was told the connection was lose at dealership. But, I don't think so and I think it should be the wiper sensor related. All time when the situation change (working -> not or reverse), it's raining (after I used the back wiper) or I washed the SUV in the gas station. Yes, I am sure the wiper switch is on OFF during the opration. The real problem is that it happens randomly! No one knows it's working or not until you push the button. I plan to go to check it at another dealership this weekends and keep the results posted later. Only wish it still not working when I am there!
  • falcon1falcon1 Member Posts: 2
    we have 2 2002 sequoias, and we have read several problems with the TBS system... could you email me the link to the solution to this problem?
    Well, the other day the VSC OFF VSC Trac and check engine lights came back on. This tine when I went to the dealer, tthe scanning tool said it is a bad O2 sensor. I have an appointment Monday to get it replaced. Hope this solves the problem.
  • lcd1lcd1 Member Posts: 147
    First, I'd advise having a look under the Sequoia's undercarriage area around the exhaust pipe for rust and corrosion due to exhaust gases exiting an overl short pipe. This problem could really damage and decrease the value of the truck in the long run. I called the dealer to ask what could be done about it and they have not returned my call for a week. I went ahead and bought a pipe tip/extension ($30). It really makes the tail pipe look nice and keep the exhaust from spewing out corrosive gases right under the carriage.

Second, as the brake fluid level gets low in the brake fluid reservoir, the VSC idiot light on the dash came on and stayed on. The dealer was kind enough to tell me that when brake fluid is low, VSC is turned off automatically. Only need to add brake fluid. This means that the brake pads are worn.
  • lcd1lcd1 Member Posts: 147
    I changed the oil in the differential and transfer cases today at 31K miles. I did it before at around 1K miles using AMSOIL 75-90W synthetic. The differential, which takes about 1 gal. of oil still has very clean looking oil with little metal shaving collected at the magnetic drain plug. On a scale from 0-10, zero being fresh oil and 10 being nasty dark, the differential was 1. The middle transfer case was 1.5, and the front was 2. The front one had more metal shavings that the differential's. The drain plug for the middle one had no magnet to catch metal shavings.

I use 4-wheel mode frequently. It appears that I could have let it alone at leat for another 30K miles without worries. Mobile synth. lube cost was about $50.
    Bad wish. At the time I drove out of the garage, it still didn't work. But, it worked after 6-mile driving to the dealership! I was told they couldn't do anything w/o seeing the problem. It's unbelieve. I drove ~30-mile daily and had this problem for a couple of weeks. I have to wait it dead again.
    Had the O2 sensor replaced today at the dealer. Hope this solves the problem and no other arises.. If not I'm gonna have to think about getting another truck.
  • pgueramipguerami Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same difficulties that your having during the past two months I've noticed that my cargo area has been wet. The water leak is usually on the rear right side cargo area but it happens to get wet on the driver side rear cargo area as well. I also have the sunroof and rear AC.I looked at my weather strip around the rear liftgate and it was real in bad shape so I changed it. NO LUCK. What was the problem with yours. Did you find a remedy.
  • pgueramipguerami Member Posts: 2
    I've noticed that my cargo area has been wet. The water leak is usually on the rear right side cargo area but it happens to get wet on the driver side rear cargo area as well. I also have the sunroof and rear AC.I looked at my weather strip around the rear liftgate and it was real in bad shape so I changed it. NO LUCK. Does anyone know of any remedies???
  • toyo4toyo4 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 Sequoia SR5 4WD. The 36 month warranty runs out for me on Dec. 23, 2004. I have heard about the brake TSB(BR005-02)and have considered getting this work done on my vehicle. However, I'm not really having any problems with my brakes currently (no shuddering, vibrating, etc.) I wonder if I should go ahead and get it done or leave well enough alone since I'm not having brake problems at this time. Also, does anyone know if they replace the rotors, pads or calipers or all three under this TSB? Thanks..
    Calipers and pads are replaced. Rotor is turned if warped or replaced if previously turned.
    OAC might have to help me out here, but I think I remember the damp cargo area being attributed to two plugs underneath that should have been inserted at the port of entry. They use these holes for hold down during transport and the plugs are kept in a clear plastic baggy. Once they reach port of delivery, the plugs should be inserted.
  • blackdog4blackdog4 Member Posts: 67
    My 2004 warranty runs out at the end of this month. I also had no vibration problems but I told the dealer that I bought it from, that I felt the braking was very poor. (I also bought an Avalon from the same dealer and have had them do all of the servicing of both vehicles). I explained that my nine year old Explorer stops much better. They drove my Sequoia and agreed to do the TSB repairs. This is more than replacing the calipers and pads. It is a true upgrade. The calipers and disks are larger. After the pads had been used a little, I now feel the braking is much better. Without definite abnormalities in braking, I imagine that this is a dealer decision and probably your relationship with the dealer is important in borderline cases.