Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• xierxier Member Posts: 99
    Popper - where did you purchase?

MSRP w/out Laser in my area is 58 and some change - 46 OTD WoW- what was your tax etc...
  • popperpopper Member Posts: 41
    Sticker was $58,904.00. DVD, Cold kit, DRL, Conv. Pkg. Bought from Quality Toyota in Indepedence, Kansas. Incredibly nice to work with. Last one they had, had been on their lot for 180+ days.

Again, I don't know what tax is yet because I live in OK and you don't pay it until you register the vehicle.

$46,200 Out the Door.
    Thanks for the clairification - so you ended up at 46.2 w/out tax which right where I want to be or even better.

Were you able to get 0 percent finance with 46.2?

I have several quotes that are close and am trying to decide which ones to work first based primarily on color for int and ext.
  • popperpopper Member Posts: 41
    It was either rebate or 0% apr. I took the rebate.

Let me know how you come out.
    Thanks -I figured that but had to ask. I'd like to get close to that # and get the 0 percent :). Not sure if its possible today - but what I'm thinking is that it might be soon due to so much inventory and no sales. I'm really debating if I should take the best offer I got and head over to negotiate...

Did you even attempt to get 0 percent on your 46.5K deal - or did you know (Spidy Sense) that it was a no deal?
  • wrxcstiwrxcsti Member Posts: 21
    Putnam in Burlingame is advertising $12K off MSRP (w/o 0% financing) on Craigslist, which is inline with discounts in other areas. If you do 0% financing, you should be able to get at least $1500 to $2000 below invoice right now. The current N. CA offer is $4000 cash back or 0% financing + $1000 cash back. A couple of months ago, Toyota only had 0% (but no cash back at the same time) in N. CA. At that time, dealers were willing to go about $500 to $1000 below invoice depending on color and options w/o even hard negotiation. Since Toyota now offers $1000 cash back with 0%, you should be able to get $1000 to $2000 below invoice. Hopefully Toyota will increase the cash back to $1500 (with 0%) during the Labor Day weekend just like what they did during the 4th of July weekend. The one you quoted MSRP of $55K should have the invoice around $49K so that's not a good deal at all. You should get it for at least a couple of grand less. Lastly, the invoice price in the Bay Area is about $600 higher than S. CA and other area (see my earlier post). So always have dealer quote you how much below invoice rather than a $ amount if you want to compare apples to apples when looking at prices from other areas.
    At first I thought you were showing 12K under and zero - then realized that it was with out zero. I was not able to find the 12 K off - but found a 11K off SR5 from same place. My current quotes are in the 12K range - actually both 12K off MSRP - so I'm already there - just trying to figure out how much more negotiation there is - 0 percent is a deal breaker - I'm already second guessing buying a V8, 1 year old suv Now - vs waiting. Just not sure I'll pull the trigger with just the 12K under.
  • lcrulllcrull Member Posts: 1
    I saw reference in an earlier post here about Toyota sending current Sequoia owners a certificate for an extra $3,000 off. I read that to be in addition to the rebates showing on Toyota web site ($4,000 plus $1,000). Anyone have information or received such a mailing? My local Indiana dealer did not know anything about it. Thanks!
  • aj4321aj4321 Member Posts: 37
    Trying to be a nice guy - I bought a new 08' Seq LTD 4x4 $51k MSRP black on grey this week and my wife doesn't want it. She complained about the large size. So much for my surprise present for her.

Too bad. I think it is a very nice SUV. It has only 80 miles. For sale for $43k.
  • psu1983psu1983 Member Posts: 24
    I was struggling with decision to buy now too, but in the end, the Suburban we were trading in was declining in value at a quicker rate than the pricing discounts on new Sequoias. The other thing I'd simply point out is, even though Sequoia sales are very, very slow, Toyota's shutdown on production of the vehicle for the next 4 months is going to help in balancing supply. I don't think you're going to see discounts on this vehicle go much deeper than where they are now.
  • psu1983psu1983 Member Posts: 24
    Great vehicle. Very solidly built with an excellent drive. Bought a Silver Sky LTD with essentially every option, including Nav, DVD, Rear Camera & XM Radio, which stickered @ $55.6k. $11k off MSRP was as far as local dealer (Harrisburg, PA) was going, and I negotiated the deal hard, and for 3 weeks. In the end, I conceded $3K on discount and opted for the % 0 financing. Sounds like pricing for this vehicle is a bit more aggressive on the West Coast.
    Was close to buying twice

1st time they had color/combo I wanted but vehicle had over 100 miles on it and MASSIVE shimmy over 20mph got within 1.5K on the deal but I decided I did not want to deal with a possible problem vehicle. Appears the unit was given to someone to drive/take home etc... the car was quite dirty - in fact for the condition it was in it should have had over 5K miles on it.
    2nd deal - ended up about 1.6k more than I really wanted but was going to see what the final deal looked like. Got a LOWBALL for my trade (approx 1/3 of edmunds trade in value)and I walked. At this poing my ideal color combo's are pretty much not available so I'll probably wait to see what they do after Sep when the 0 percent is supposed to go away.... I look forward to seeing what they will do with all of the 08's into Sep/Oct.
  • fasc76fasc76 Member Posts: 5
    I am trying to price a 08 SR5. A few dealerships in town (Houston) have the following add-ons that edmunds does not have invoice pricing for; (was hoping someone could tell me what the invoice price is/ or point me to where I can find out, thanks in advance!)

Running Boards $725 (list prices)
    Vehicle Shield Package $349
    Carpet Mats incl 3rd row $290
    XM Satellite Radio Package w/ 6 mos free subscription $449.
  • plieuplieu Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I live in arizona and wondering if anyone got 2008 Sequoia fully loaded all the hole nine yards. how much otd price
  • thurstydogthurstydog Member Posts: 2
    Anyone get a great deal in Texas on 2008 ltd or plat? looking at a 2WD Ltd and they seem to be holding firm @6000 to 6500 off + 0%. Let me know...
  • iontrapiontrap Member Posts: 139
    On an SR5 with a sticker around $38k, how much off should I expect off and still be able to take advantage of the 0% financing?
    So I used Edmunds to get some dealer quotes. Here is the first one I've received so far.

2008 Sequoia 2WD 5 Door SR5 SUV LARGE V8 6-Speed, Automatic
    Additional Options/Accessories Include: Rear Aerodynamic Spoiler; Roof Rack; JBL Premium AM/FM/CD with In-Dash 6-Disc CD Changer with Bluetooth; Fog Lamps; Leather Faced Seats w/Driver & Passenger Seat Heaters; Power Driver Fabric Seat with 8-Way Driver's Seat Adjustment; Daytime Running Lights (DRL) with On/Off Feature; Lighted Color Keyed Running Boards; Window Tint

*Manufacturer s Suggested Retail $ 41,438.38
    *Your Internet Price $ 32,533.84

This is about $500 below carsdirect and about $500 above Edmunds TMV. How does this offer sound?
    If the price dealer quoted you is without 0% financing, it's NOT good at all. Without 0% financing, you should get at least $11k to $12k off MSRP. If you take the 0%, you should get at least $1500 to $2500 off invoice depending on options and color with the current incentives.

If a dealer try to tell you that the supply is low now because Toyota has stopped making 08 Sequoia so they are less willing to sell at deeper discount, just move on to the another dealer. Depending on where you are, there are still TONs of Sequoia sitting on the dealer lots. Now with the employee discount program offered by GM, the Toyota dealers better get smarter as a $60K fully loaded top end Yukon Denali XL can be had for less than $47k.
    I had this experience on Thursday (8/21) at Ft Bend Toyota, Richmond, TX.

Silver SR5, DJ, DR, FE, LF, PE, RL, CF, T1/PS (Window Tint and Painted stripe, whtaever the latter is), also XM radio with 6 mos subscription. Edmunds invoice for this combo is $32,962 with the following assumptions:
    I added at full list price the XM (as I do not know what invoice on that option is). I took off tinting and CF as tossed in for free as Edmunds does not list prices for those either.

I added $358 for Running Boards to get to final figure (as that would have to be a dealer add-on)

I subtracted $1000 from invoice and added TTL (6.25% + $260 docs, which is generous for docs) to get walkout of $34,219 with 0%.

They put best price at 34,750 and 0%, without RB and sales manager said he would add RB at his cost of $425 (b*sh*t). I countered with $34,750, incl RB, which would have put me about $500 below invoice and they balked at it. They let me walk out over $420 and only $500 below invoice!

Frankly, I am completely and utterly disgusted with the arrogance at Toyota. This is the second dealership that has played hardball with me. Like your post says, I would rather buy a Yukon or Tahoe now just out of pure principle.

Am I off base here or are all these posts about $11-12K under MSRP or $2K under invoice with 0% only apply to people buying loaded vehicles, not base models with few upgrades? Or is Gulfstates Toyota really keeping a lid on the dealerships ability to discount?

Thanks.

Also if someone show me to a SR5 that has been purchased $2K under invoice outside Texas/LA/OK, I would appreciate it. I will deal with them.
    Who gave you this quote? Dealership and Location?

Thanks.
    In my recent negations for a Platinum dealers told a very similar story about lack of units due to the stop production and how that will influence price. I can see how this is true for the Platinum especially if you are set on a color but SR5’s are all over the place in my area. It was hard to find more then 1 or 2 Platinum’s at local dealers but they all had 10 to 30 SR5/Limiteds. Dealers will try to sell you on the fact that there is limited supply now that they stopped production – YOU NEED TO REMIND THEM that NO ONE WANTS Sequoia’s PERIOD and that’s the reason for the production stop. Give it a few months and all of those SR5/Limited will be a FULL year old with 09’s coming they will be forced to check back with reality.

Fully Loaded vs SR5 - I don't think it matters to the dealers bottom line - they have an amount into the vehicle - under invoice is under invoice - the hold-back is based on car price so there is a bit more holdback on the fully loaded.

Price – I was able to find a few deals in the 11K off MSRP and lots in the 9.5 off MSRP – but when you ask for 0 Percent the dealer only gives you the $1,000 CASH back – what ever “sales price they are currently offering”. I had to really struggle to get numbers below 1K under Invoice and get the Zero for 5 years. If they let you walk out then you know that the price you offered is too low – problem is that if they took your price then you know you over paid . $500 under invoice + Zero seems to be a bottom line at may of the dealerships I RFQ’d with.

Bottom Line – there should be LOTS LOTS LOTS of SR5/Limited units out there and I’d wait to see what Toyota does after Sep2 --- I was thinking they would need to at some point combine the 0 Percent and the 4K Off. I have been told that Toyota will not combine they will just SIT on the vehicles and force dealers to take the loss --- due to the fact Toyota has other vehicles dealers are making great margin on (Hybrid’s……) Killer deal will be if they combine the Zero financing with the 4K Off and 1K Cash.

As so far as buying a Caddy ESV and or Denali fully decked out – been there done that and IMO the Sequoia is in a different category.
    The dealer was Lowe Toyota in Warner Robins GA.
  • thurstydogthurstydog Member Posts: 2
    Fred Hass is offering 6K off all SR5s and LTD with 0%. Depending on the model that get somewhere close to 1500 to 2K off invoice with the incentives. I have been pushing hard and am getting frustrated with the lack of deals that they are offering within Gulf States area. I have yet to see anything like the deals quoted here. I am now searching out of their area.
    Thanks for the info wrxcsti, that will definitely help me figure out the best deal.
    No problem at all, we all just try to save a grand or two if possible. As Xier mentioned, the Sequoia is a better vehicle but Yukon Denali XL does offer the extra trunk space that I really like. With the 3rd row seats always up in my situation, the trunk space of Sequoia is really small - put a stroller there and there's not much space left. That's the only reason I have not completely give up on XL.

I hope Toyota can increase the cash back from $1000 to at least $1500 with the 0% for the Labor Day weekend. Toyota increased the cash back to $1500 with 0% for the Fourth of July weekend (then back to $1000 after the weekend) so I hope they do the same or better for Labor Day weekend.
  • tgoodelltgoodell Member Posts: 19
    I will say the new Yukons are a far cry from the GMC trucks of the past. The fit 'n finish, build quality and overall look and feel of them seems like nothing GM's ever built before. My brother in law has an XL and it's a really nice vehicle--plus it has the 5.4 liter multi-displacement motor which is **supposed** to be good up to 20 or 21 PMG highway.

I personally don't need an XL, but might consider shopping the regular Yukon if Toyota doesn't start "playing ball" during this awful SUV market. I currently have an '01 Expedition with 113k miles on it which--until recently--had been the best and most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Now seeing the rust which is coming off of the undercarriage, and the number of things going wrong with it all of a sudden (despite being maintained by someone who's obsessive about cars) makes me never want another Ford. Pls keep us posted on what you decide! :)
    2008 Sequoia 2WD 5 Door SR5 SUV LARGE V8 6-Speed, Automatic
    Additional Options/Accessories Include: Rear Aerodynamic Spoiler; Roof Rack; JBL Premium AM/FM/CD with In-Dash 6-Disc CD Changer with Bluetooth; Fog Lamps; Leather Faced Seats w/Driver & Passenger Seat Heaters; Power Driver Fabric Seat with 8-Way Driver's Seat Adjustment; Daytime Running Lights (DRL) with On/Off Feature; Lighted Color Keyed Running Boards; Window Tint

*Manufacturer s Suggested Retail $ 41,438.38
    *Your Internet Price $ 32,533.84

Just got a quote from a dealer in Atlanta equipped similarly to the one above only difference is rear spoiler instead of running boards. They are offering $31964 with the 0% financing! :surprise: That is a decent first offer.
  • echoipechoip Member Posts: 6
    Here's the prices I negotiated over the past 3 weeks. I contacted about 15 dealers in the SouthEast. There were two dealers that consistantly beat everyone else and would go about $500 under invoice. These prices included all taxes, tag transfer,etc...Keep in mind, the tax in South Carolin is $300 on new cars.
    SR5 - 4x2 all options; nav, rear dvd, tow, etc (no XM)....$38k OTD
    Limited - 4x2 all options' nav, dvd, (no tow, no XM), everything else...$40,800 OTD
    Platinum-4x2 all options; available on this car (including XM radio)....$44,469 OTD

I bought the Platinum today. When showed other dealers the pricing I negotiated via email, most backed out. It took some work, but I think I saved a substantial amount.
    sent you a message to your email address regarding the dealer i bought from today. its a dealership in rock hill, sc and they blew everyone else away with their pricing (harrelson toyota).
    Congrats on the Platinum - What color did you go with?

I'm assumign the 44,469 is CASH price - Souds like you got a good deal - I went with the zero for 5 years and 4X4 but all options as well - so far so good.
    I got the white one w/sand. I originally wanted black w/red rock, but I could get the white since it was on their lot for $500 less. I take delivery on Sat b/c they are installing the stock dvd and xm (for some reason, a lot of the dealers weren't exactly honest on what kind of dvd they were installing). Its unbelieveable how you have micro-manage this stuff.

What color did you get? I've heard once the venza comes out that toyota may offer $6k rebate. But its just a rumor I heard. What kind of mileage are you getting?
    The GM at the dealership told me for every Sequoia they sell, they get to order (2) additional Prius'. Obviously, this motivates them to sell Sequoia's for break-even to get cars they can sell at MSRP.
    Did you go White or the Metalic Peal White? I was gong to close on a PearlWhite with RedRock interior - but it looked like it had been beaten up on too many test drives/weekend loan's... Drove like a broken train etc... PLUS they were a shop who came back with crazy MSPR type numbers on the deal via email so I knew that I'd be in for a long negotiation session.

Then I nearly closed on a Red w/Red rock this only had 8 miles on it so I was ready to go when I got a fairly low trade in value. I think the fact that red was not my first choice - actually it was not any any of my ideal color choices but I really just wanted the red-rock and could not justify living with exterior color just to get interior that I wanted.

I ended up with a Gold/Tan interior which was at the top of my wife's list for color/int. For some reason key to me was a car with very low miles this one had 2 miles whereas the other ones I looked at had between 10 and 100. -all options were installed already but I wanted the TZ package that comes with first aid kit, cargo net, mats, cargo mat and sil protectors. Dealer installed the sil proectors but gave me a Prius cargo net --- not so much of a fit on the Sequoia so they are ordering me another one. On my first tank of gas now and getting 15.8 with 2/3's highway and 1/3 street - possibly 60 highway nad 40 street.... Have about 60 miles left to next fill.

In terms of future rebates - discounts - I really wanted to get 4 to 5 K under Invoice and the Zero percent financing... Will be interesting to see if this weekend they go to 1500 dealer cash. I would like to see the 4K off and 1K cash applied in tandum with the Zero Percent - I think they could sell a few more with this option.

Selling Sequoia to get Prius - I don't think that's happening in my area - I was told everything from Corolla's to just happy to get the V8's off the lot.
    I have a 08' sequoia. Anyone figured out how to override nav so you can use while in motion?
    Which dealership offered you the $31964 with 0%? That is a great price and the model you got is exactly the one I am looking for, heck the JBL premium stereo is more that I was looking for too!

Thanks.
    It's pretty much the first thing I did - think I had less than 30 miles when I made my dvd. It seems like just last week... oh - well it was just last week...

You will need a DL burner and DL media - you will rip your OEMDVD - it will be 7.1 version to your computer - replace an autoload file for version 5.1 and burn it. Put it in your new 08 - disconnect the black battery lead for 5 minutes - upon bootup your 08 will re-load into the nav system and you are set. To activate you touch menu, then volume- then upper left lower left upper left lower left and you will see a screen - just touch the override button until it beeps and you are good to go.

Drawbacks -
    1 - you have to do this every time you turn on your car
    2 - you now have to say "YES" each time the nav is booted up (IE Put key in car) to ACK the safety warning about NAV. This is very much a PITA IMO but not as much of a PITA as not being to NAV on the FLY.

Read thru the thread below - its very simple and well laid out in the thread. I was the first to do the Sequoia or I should say post back saying it works.

Enjoy.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173730
    The dealer is Team Toyota, outside of Atlanta.
    Just an FYI, they rescinded their offer after I wanted to start talking trade in.
    TT in Atlanta did? I just sent them an email looking for an Avalon for my Dad. They came back with a low price, but I haven't mentioned the trade yet either.
    Hope it works out better for you than it did for me!
    After 8-month of following this car since it came out, we finally bought one yesterday. It's a fully loaded Limited AWD in silver color. Bought it for $2350 below invoice and 0% financing. Technically, the purchase price was $1350 below invoice, then add $1000 bonus cash + 0%. The bonus cash is treated as payment by the buyer so when computing the sales tax, it's based on invoice - $1350. Anyway, roughly you can say it's around $2350 below invoice + 0%. I was disappointed that Toyota did not step up the bonus cash to $1500 from $1000 but I feel the price was good for me to make the move. The end of month purchase on 8/31 also helped a bit on the pricing.

I feel that the price may go down more especially with SR5 which dealers still have a lot. Because I wanted a fully loaded Limited AWD with 8 seats and only consider silver or black color, the number of Sequoias meet that requirement in the entire SF Bay Area was not that many. So I feel it's a good time to make the purchase before they all run out. If I'm willing to go with other colors, then I can certainly shop around more. It's quite surprising that 50% of the dealers here are still not quoting price below invoice when combining the 0%. The one I bought has been at the dealer for about 2 months so it's not extremely long; therefore, I feel the price was right. If it's on the lot for 4 to 5 months and with less popular color, I'm sure the pricing can be much lower.

Was debating between the Yukon Delani XL and Sequoia. Had GM offered 0% with the employee pricing, I might have gone with the Yukon. But with 2.9% rate vs. Sequoia's 0%, I went with Sequoia to save $4k to $5k interests.

Took out the in-laws and all the kids today for a lunch in the new Sequoia. It's great that with all 8 seats occupied, we did not need to drive two cars. The car drives great and I think it's a good decision in the end.

Good luck to everyone who's still looking for one!
    On the subject of trade-in, the dealers here are not interested in trade-ins at all unless it's got good gas mileage so they can sell it quickly. In some cases they take trade-ins to push the new car sale but then couldn't sell it for long time so they had to sell it to some small used car dealers at very steep discount. I thought about trade in my v8 powered luxury sedan (which gets 25 mpg on highway) but end up not bothering about it.
    wrxcsi - Congrats on the Limited.... AWD on Sequoia? When shopping for the Plat I was only interested in the 4X4 but was told that Sequoi's were either 2X2 or 4X4 and that AWD was not an option.

Agree on all counts with the Platinum's followed by the Limited's in less supply - tons of SR5's. I also think the prices will have to come down and am surprised the did not boost the cash back over the holiday. Will be interesting to see what the next special is after Today (Sep2). I was reading back in the Sequoia forum (Jan/March) and amazed to see folks who paid sticker or close to since back then who knew that no one was going to buy these things....

Got about the same deal that you got (+had a SUV Trade) and I was quoted this price by several bay area dealers so it's probably the 'going' rate for dealers who actually need/must move these V8's off the lot. So far so good with my purchase - just filled the tank for the first time (first tank was from dealer). Gotta like costco's 3.83/gallon - will see how it fares this time with more in-town driving.

Trade-IN's - It can be tough to trade in SUV's these day's - but on a 59+K MSRP vehicle I found most willing to deal with the trade w/out any real issues. They were not willing to go to KBB's trade in value - but I got the final shop to come within 1K or so.... It was kind of funny but after the deal was closed I emptied everything out of my traded SUV - Floor Mat's - everything... I would have taken out the DVD Head Unit if I had more time :-)
    Thanks Xier. I meant 4WD. I had many Subaru cars so always had AWD in my mind.
  • tgoodelltgoodell Member Posts: 19
    Well, technically the Sequoia's driveline is kind of a "hybrid" between AWD and 4WD.

It has a Torsen center differential (like most of Audi's Quattro AWD systems) which allows you to leave it in "4WD Hi" mode and still drive on dry pavement like AWD because it shifts torque from front to rear and allows some degree of slippage. If you hit some deep snow/mud, you can lock the Torsen effectively turning the system into a traditional 4WD system wherein the front and rear wheels turn at the same speed, which won't allow you to drive on dry pavement.

And what's even better is, "2WD" mode totally disengages the front wheels for better fuel mileage.

All toldl, I think it's probably about the most versatile AWD/4WD system I've run across.

Tim G.
    Tiim - Thanks for the explanation - I look forward to seeing how it does in Tahoe when see snow....
  • white4white4 Member Posts: 5
    Just got interested in an '08 Sequoia after looking at Yukon Denali and Denali XL, just couldn't get happy with those after repeated test drives. GM and Ford have extended their cash back offers that expired yesterday (GM now through 9/30); does anyone know / have they heard whether Toyota is doing the same? I have not been on the Toyota lots yet here in Dallas/Ft. Worth area ... anyone have good luck on pricing with a particular dealer in DFW area? Thanks for any advice. Bill
    Here in the southeast there have been no changes to the financing and cash back incentives.
  • cobraconescobracones Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a basically fully loaded SR5 4X4 from Toyota of Fort Worth in July after shopping around all over Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas. Leather seat package, tow package, power folding 3rd row, fog lights, running boards, moon roof, xm radio, jbl stereo upgrade, and maybe some others i cant think of (no nav or dvd). When I purchased, they had just received another shipment of Sequoias and had over 30 on the lot. The one I purchased had been there since February (that is when the dealership put the new inspection sticker on the window). When I went in I knew exactly what I wanted and walked in with a price ~20% below the MSRP. After going back in forth for ~20 minutes, they finally agreed to my asking price. I also got the 0% for 60 months and had no trade-in. I have not had a single problem with my Sequoia and love it. I get better gas mileage than i expected, especially for a 4X4. I average 19-21 on the highway. I find that west texas winds can make a big difference on fuel economy.
    Wow - 21 is PHENOMINAL highway --

What are you getting in town? Is your SR5 a 4X4?

I'm on my 2nd tank and got 15 for the first which was 70 highway/30 in town --- and now I'm at about 13MPG with new tank.

No problems so far here either -- but at only a few hundred miles on the Plat I'm not sure that's a saying anything :-)

20 Percent off MSRP + Zero for 60 is not a deal I have heard of on a Platinum (best that I can tell a few K under Invoice on Platinum and the Zero percent is top deal) - On a SR5 even today this is still a good deal. Based on the volume dealers have of SR5'S (TONS TONS) I would expect you can push it even a bit farther - say 25 maybe even 30 and ZERO if they extend the ZERO that is....