Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kwfkwf Member Posts: 1
    Last week I received an internet quote for $40,529 on a '08 Limited. MSRP of $47,270 with sunroof, power back hatch, and daytime running lights. I replied saying I would come in that day and buy it if they accepted an offer of $38,000.

Their reply was simply thank you for the offer but no....they didn't counter. I didn't respond and have been looking elsewhere since then but haven't been able to find a '08 I like....there aren't many '08's left in the Southeast. I checked today and the Sequoia is still available. I thought I would stop by the dealership this week and try to negotiate in person.

Any advice on a fair final price is greatly appreciated.
  • tenekramtenekram Member Posts: 6
    Don't wait to the last minute, if that is the vehicle you want, get it before someone else walk's of with it. I bought mine about 6 weeks ago noticing that Blue Sequioas were starting to dissapear of the lots at an alarming rate in the SE region. Don't play the wait game if that is the vehicle you want. Call the internet manager directly and offer a price that is between the 38K and their price. You got to be flexible with these guys, and remember, what really worked for me was to be pleasant with these guys but steadfast on your final price. Don't let your dream vechicle slip away from you, you may regret it when you see someone riding the vechicle that should have been yours.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    >>Call the internet manager directly and offer a price that is between the 38K and their price.

The first rule of negotiating: don't negotiate against yourself. If you offer 39K they will simply say no, make another offer until you reach 40529.
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Member Posts: 324
    I would wait for another week to pass from your original order. Never fall in love with a vehicle until you own it.

The dealer's floor space interest cost is drying up the value and eventually they'll want to unload. You might consider a higher offer but with something else included this way you're not negotiating with yourself. Maybe offer $39,000 but include a 5yr/100K extended warranty at no charge. Maybe toss into the deal your first 5 oil changes from the dealer at no charge. See if that approach breaks the dealer down to make an offer to unload the vehicle. then its back in your hands to decide if you want to accept their offer.
  • a8silvera8silver Member Posts: 24
    I'd say 38K is a reasonable offer. Based on the previous posts, $9200-9500 off MSRP is the going rate these days. I paid $9300 off MSRP ~3 weeks ago.
  • sequoiabuyersequoiabuyer Member Posts: 16
    FYI, an 08' Limited showed up on CarMax in TX yesterday @ $38 with 13K miles. Not that CarMax sets the market, but I think any reference point is helpful....
    There seems to be a big disconnect between KBB/NADA or Edmunds TMV and dealership pricing on used vehicles. In recent months, there seems to be unrealistic expectations built into used car pricing, and I've seen several cases where buying a new one was a no brainer.
    Now I am confused. I know the 10' had a USB port on the dash (not sure about the 08'). I'm assuming that is how I would connect the ipod/iphone. Why would I need the accessory?
  • texassuvdrivertexassuvdriver Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading this thread, and looking at an 08 Sequoia Limited. I just want to make sure that I am on the same page with everyone with regard to pricing. The 08 that I am looking at is a new vehicle (44 miles), and the dealer has several. The story that I get (from the dealer, as well as someone that works in Toyota production) is that production was decreased on 09's during the $4.00 per gallon gasoline period, and these are 08's that still haven't sold.

Now, I have also read within this thread that $9,000 - $9,500 off of MSRP is the going rate, but even on an 08 (although brand new) that has been on the dealer's lot since March of 2008, that will be a 2 year old vehicle in about a month when the 2010's arrive.

By the way, I have also heard that the number of 08's remaining on a dealer's lot will negatively impact that dealer's ability to secure 2010 models. Is that correct?
  • tenekramtenekram Member Posts: 6
    To all who are going to purchase an 08, does not really matter what model. Use this as a bargaining chip against the dealers, and salespersons. I am witness to this, I bought my SEQ 08 LMTD for 43K (tax and fees included), all the bells and whistles. Retail value right now is between 35K and 37K and I only have 1400 miles on it. Value decreased by 20%. You ask the dealer, sales person this. If I were to buy this vehcile now from you at this price, what would the price be tomorrow if I wanted to trade it in for something else. You can work it from there. Just an idea that I wished I had thought of when purchasing my SEQ. I still love my truck though, it is sweeeeeet. Especially when people turn their heads to look at squeaky clean look ride.
    Anyway 9 to 9.5K seems to be right.
  • fbdfbd Member Posts: 6
    Got a quote on a 08 LMT 4WD w/NAV 0 miles for $45500 - 14% off MSRP. Bringing in from another dealer so I am sure I'll have to pay for transfer. Anyway, got a quote for 9% off MSRP for 2010 LMTD 4WD and we had not even started to deal. When I put the same amt down, 3.99 finance on 08 and 5.5 on 10, I am only saving $2K.

If I could get the 08 down to 18-20% off, I would make a move. What do you think?

Also thinking about the 07 - got a good deal on one w/15K miles for $35K. How different are the 07 to 08? Body design yes but what about the ride?

Thanks all
  • tkamenstkamens Member Posts: 2
    Any comments on this deal is appreciated:

2008 Sequoia Limited, Super White
    Navigation, Back-up Camera, Winter Mats

MSRP $53,902.00 Started negotiating car at $41,188.00

Trading in a 2004 Sienna with 97,000m and quite dinged up. Fair KBB Pricing for Siena is $8675.00 at best.

Final deal in Boston Market:

$34,000 with trade-in If they gave me 100% of the fair KBB Value, then the car cost me $42,675.00 or about $11,000 off MSRP.

Good deal?
  • gatoralum90gatoralum90 Member Posts: 6
    There is a BIG difference in the ride and the safety between the 07 and 08. I traded my 06 in on a 08 and trust me, the rides are night and day. Also, the safety is a huge difference. The wider axle brings a lower center of gravity so there is a big reduction in risk of rollover. Second, the 08 and 10 have all the anti-rollover technology as standard vs. as options on 07 and earlier. I believe that most of the older models did not have the safety features.

As for the price on the 08, the 18-22% range would be where i shoot. It depends on the features on what the % turns out to be. The more features, the bigger % off. It gives them more dollars to deal with. Good luck on the decision.
  • gatoralum90gatoralum90 Member Posts: 6
    23.6% off retail is an awesome price reduction. I would take it and run. I cannot comment on the trade in. I usually sell my vehicles. Although this time, I traded since they gave me what i wanted and I got the tax advantage of trading.
  • warwickmonwarwickmon Member Posts: 27
    I think you could do better on the 08 deal. Like you said, get that down near 20% off MSRP before you buy. The 2010 deal is OK as well. But don't even think about buying a used 07 for $35K. That is a terrible buy. The 08s had a ton of improvements over the 07s.
    That sounds like a good deal. Go for it. Can you say which dealer. I am in the same Boston market. Just curious. I bought an 08 Plat (MSRP $59K) in January for $42K including roughly $5K for a trade in (2003 4runner Limited w/ 160K miles). That was from Mcgee Toyota.
  • sequoiadreamersequoiadreamer Member Posts: 3
    Hi Everyone,

Just joined to ask for advice / tips on purchasing a 2008 Limited Sequoia. I've been wanting this vehicle since they came out but only now do I think having one may be a possiblity because of the drop in pricing with the dealerships wanting to move these vehicles.

I would like a Limited with the factory installed navigation system.

I would also like the DVD entertainment system but I also found out that you can have an after-market DVD system installed in the seats. Does anyone have that? What's your opinion?

My sister has the factory installed DVD entertainment system and loves it but says that the screen does impede her view out the rearview mirror.

I live in Ft Worth TX and am having a hard time finding one. I'm from Californa so I've begun my search there too. There doesn't seem to be a lot of Limited's with factory installed DVD systems out there. I'm told one can be installed for $2K but I doubt it's integrated like the factory installed unit.

Does anyone know of some dealerships that I can contact that have some Limited's with the options I desire? I'm willing to have it transported if the deal is good.

Also what is the going rate for auto loans? We have great credit over 800.

Thanks for any and all help.

Paula
    I have the navigation system and rear DVD entertainment system.

I find the nav system to be pretty mediocre. Since it is the only one ever had, I can't compare it to others but for the price I am sure you could get better. The large touch screen is nice. I live in the Boston suburbs. I find a lot of the directions to be not the fastest way to get to places. It is very tedious and nonintuitive to save routes and locations. I tried learning to use the voice commands but they are really so complicated it is not useful.

Built in bluetooth for cell phones is good to have.

The rear DVD system does obstruct the view through the rear view mirror. Not fully but noticeable. Other than it is excellent. Very well integrated to the stereo. Two wireless headphones for the kids allows them to watch and hear the DVD while you play CDs or whatever through the car audio. Very nice. However, you can get headrest systems with wireless and individual DVD players for each side for less than the Toyota system. A good installer can probably integrate to the car stereo as well.

Crutchfield has some good headrest systems and good explanations.

Hope that helps.
  • chansmithchansmith Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I am attempting to buy a 2008 Sequoia Limited this weekend either in Missouri or Oklahoma. The dealerships in Oklahoma only have RWD. I was wondering if the RWD drive is alright in the snow?

Most importantly I need guidance on what everyone thinks is a really good deal for the 2008 Limited 4WD & the RWD?

Also, there is a $3,000 rebate for the 2008 Sequoia and the dealerships seem motivated to move these vehicles. I have looked on truecar.com and other sights but I am still confused, do you make an offer assuming the rebate (customer cash) is in your office price or the rebate is an additional bonus not in the offer price. I plan to throw out an offer price and say call me if you can meet this price. I don't want to haggle and I don't have to have the SUV.

Please let me know what everyone thinks would be a good offer price for the 2008 Sequoia 4WD & RWD...

Thanks in advance
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    You should consider a Platinum. In Texas I see a $3000 rebate on 2008 models, but here in northern California there are no rebate or apr deals nor any Limited's, plus the dealers in my area are tight and won't deal (so I bought a Dodge Ram). The Platinum models will have standard nav and dvd. With the 2010's already on the lot, I'd be leaning toward a 2010 model solely for depreciation purposes. Try your local bank or credit union for their loan offerings. Capital One online also has decent new vehicle apr's.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Offer the no haggle price price of $7,000 below msrp plus the $3000 rebate for $10,000 total. They should take it. Allow yourself a $1000 of wiggle room if they won't. If not, move on, as some dealers will never deal. You might do better, but most folks do worse. As for the snow, 4wd is recommended (by me), but 2wd with snow tires can be better than 4wd with no snow tires. When in doubt, slow down.
  • chansmithchansmith Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the advice. One aspect of this process that is confusing is that MSRP on the SUV is $46,500 but then there are options that Toyota has put on the SUV which cannot be taken off. As a result the car sells at say $50,000.

In previous discussions in this forum I have seen posts talking about taking 20% of the price of the SUV.....is this 20% off the price with the included options or suggested retail or 20% off the SUV without the options.
  • mark198mark198 Member Posts: 1
    wanting to buy a 2010 platinum sticker 59,700. Dealer offered me 4000.00 off without negotiation yet. what would be a reasonable price. Thanks for your help.
    A vehicles sticker price includes all options. That is the MSRP including options. A Platinum Sequoia has a whole list of options that are standard on a Platinum. If you took a base Sequoia and added up all those same options, the sticker price should be similar. It's just that you find a base Sequoia with all those same options if you want them.

The 20% is probably a best case scenario for a 2008 model. Those are getting scarcer but now that 2010s are out, you can probably still get about 20% off MSRP (or close to that) on a 2008. Dealers need to move those in order to get 2010s from the factory. I doubt anybody will get close to 20% off of a 2010 model.
    Thanks for the post and advice, I appreciate it.

Not many vehicle out there with those options will probably have to go after market.
    Where are you getting 3.99% financing? That's great!

Paula
  • rjp10rjp10 Member Posts: 1
    I am buying a used 06 Sequoia. It has the 7 yr 100,000m warranty. I was wondering if anyone has bought the extended bumper to bumper warranty. of course they are claiming it covers everything that the 7yr one doesn't. Also claiming it covers anything we might just accidentally break. i really don't believe any of it, but am scared not to buy what i need since this is a used vehicle. does anyone have problems with toyota paying for normal "wear and tear" or paying for anything that goes wrong with car. just don't want to pay an extra $1500 if it's not actually going to cover anything. Thanks for feedback.
    $1500 is a rip off. Depending on the mileage you should be able to get it for around $900,
  • vtapongvtapong Member Posts: 2
    try to sell your van instead of trading. I highly doubt the dealer will give you the KBB value. even if you sell 1K bellow KBB value you will come out on the top when you purchase your new sequoia. You have better negotiating power if you dont have trade. I bought my SR5 4X4 for $34 flat before TTL. in san diego. power seat, auto dimmer rear view mirror,spoiler. what I did did is spent another $2000 with after market gadget.(nav with bluetooth/ipod adaptor/dvd player that play both the front and rear screen/back up camera and remote start) technically i have better gadget than platinum.
  • vtapongvtapong Member Posts: 2
    i suggest getting LIMITED, but without NAV or DVD. you are better off getting everything after market. a lot of people are having issue with the factory installed nav. but shop around before you decide to installed. i had my AVIC pioneer NAV installed for $2k to included:back up camera, dvd, that can play both front and rear screen/ipod adapter and remote start. go to toyota website and type zip code and it will show all the dealer in your area. you can go to the dealer website individually and it will show if they have the vehicle you are looking for in their inventory. i lived in el paso, but i bought mine in san diego this past Jan and by then only few left in their inventory.
    I just finished my factory nav install on my Sequoia. About $500 ( purchased a used one from ebay and wiring harness). The nav is the same as a Lexus nav - but with a poor resolution screen ( why Toyota????) . I agree that the factory nav isn't as good as a kenwood or a pioneer, but I didn't want to lose any of the stock functions (steering wheel/microphone). You can't mess with the nav unit while you are in motion, but it does have voice commands that work quite well. The bluetooth and phone pairing capability is very good. I also installed a pair of invision DVD headrests ( again ebay - $600) with factory leather - these look really good. My SR5 is very close to a limited - the only thing I couldn't install was the power lift door.
  • maf1maf1 Member Posts: 17
    Hi tkamens, what dealership did you go to for this deal? I would like to purchase the same truck. Thanks
  • garhawkeyegarhawkeye Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to decide between a new 2008 LTD that lists for $52000+ and they are offering it to me for $42,000. When I go to NADA.com and book a used 2008 out with all the same options it gives me a retail value of around $38,000, so should I offer less than the $42,000 and what are my chances they would consider it?
    Or I can go with a 2010 SR5 and have the DVD entertainment system installed and the prices are approx. $43,000 with a sale price of approx. $38,000.

Any thoughts/comments?

Thank you!
    You have to answer the following questions:
    What is price of a used 2010 Sequoia SR5?
    Does the SR5 have leather? Bluetooth?

For your reference, I purchased a 2008 SR5 fully loaded (except nav and DVD) for $34,300 brand new ( MSRR: 43,700). It all depends on value for the money - if the SR5 has everything the limited does, and you can get it for 4k less - great. Or you can wait till they give you 10k off the 2010.
  • guchguch Member Posts: 12
    Hi, could you please tell me how much off the MSRP did they take off. Did this include the cash back?
    What state are you in?
    Thank you.
    $3500 Rebate
    $5700 Additional discount

State: California
  • lwaljilwalji Member Posts: 1
    I bought from Ebay a JBL GPS for my 2008 sequoia but i do not know where to install it? Any suggestion? Same for the headrest.
    Thanks a lot
  • stunyccpastunyccpa Member Posts: 48
    Host (or anyone with advice)

Looking to get rid of my 2003 H2 Hummer with 60,000 for a Toyota Sequoia. What should be looking to pay around for a new Sequoia? Looking for either a limited or platinum truck. How much should I be getting off the truck, etc? Looking to make a purchase by the end of the week.
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    Not sure what best price is these days on Platinum/Limiteds. On end-of-summer 2008 Platinum/Limited leftovers on lots with a 58K+ MSRP, dealers in mid-atlantic were going down to about 49-50K for them, but I held off for many reasons. Now that 2010s are here (each mid-atlantic dealer recently received 1-2 Sequoias), you would expect to pay more of course, but not the high amounts that I find they are asking, especially now that sales are slow and clunker program is over. Maybe things will improve price-wise in November once dealers get hungry and realize that even with their limited supply of Sequoias, the demand to pay 60K for a SUV in this jobless economy is still very limited. Mark198's 4K below MSRP seems probably about right in this climate going into October, but you will have to fight/negotiate out here to get close to that. Even their Internet sales departments are starting their negotiations way too high. For example, best I recently saw was a dealer starting/asking price of $57,969 ($56,850 + $369 fees + $750 freight) on a Platinum with MSRP of $59,705. So, I laughed that offer off very quickly, as we are not going to get stuck paying basically 2K below MSRP. If prices don't improve in November (we are looking for at least 5K+ below MSRP), then our Plan B is to consider the Infiniti QX54 which has almost the same MSRP as a Platinum, but is going for about 8 or 9K below MSRP. [We own a Nissan SUV now and it's been as reliable as our past Toyotas; plus, all the transmission issues on the earlier generation Sequoia make us nervous . . . if I am being asked to pay close to $60K, I want a vehicle with ZERO warning signs like that. The QX54 has had some issues too, but I would be willing to risk those if I am paying closer to $50K . . . the money saved over the Sequoia could be invested and then used if EVER there were a problem, which is still unlikley on an Infiniti.] Plan C is to hold off until next year (I'm in no rush to drop 50-60K) and check out prices in the winter on the Sequoia again when demand subsides further and potentially dealer supply has slightly increased (or the Sequoias have sat unsold on the lots longer). We will see, but one things for certain, the 2009 sales tax deduction for new vehicle purchases is NO reason to rush to buy one of these this year . . . . do the math, for us it will save us only about $625 in our tax bracket. Thus, don't get fooled by the Toyota dealers trying to bring that up during your "buying experience." :)

Good Luck to all.
  • boxer99boxer99 Member Posts: 22
    I have a dealer to $56,432 for Platinum w/ remote start. I am considering it, but I agree. Nissan is giving $6,000 cash on the Q. I am waiting to see what Toyota does in October for the Seq. If nothing, then I will probably wait as well or go another route.
  • 774774 Member Posts: 101
    You might want to try True Cars . Com to price out your vehicle and then look at Over Stock .Com cars. I know you can get 3,000 off MSRP now using Over Stock . Com. I do not think 5,000 is possible without some incentive program from Toyota.I have a price right now 3,048 off MSRP from a dealer that I am puting a deposit on. I think you are right prices will go down if you wait but I need to buy something now. Good Luck
    Post 1641 is on the money. I would buy at $3,000 off as well (we bought our 2010 Plat a couple of months ago in the same arena). Although, so few of these are trading that I don't think TrueCars is very reliable. These cars are pretty scarce and a lot of dealers are just looking to move the few they are alloted at a good margin. Also, many of the buyers in the $60,000 range really aren't that concerned about the last $2,000 and the dealers know it. I also think that this very well may be the last year that they make the Sequoia's based on my feeling from the dealer when we bought (which we were comfortable with). It's become a niche vehicle this year like the Land Cruiser. I think the decision to go with the Infiniti or Toyota really comes down to personal preference....I feel my Sequoia has a more masculine, rugged look vs. the Infiniti's luxury appearance. They are both loaded with bells and whistles and are relatively reliable.

I love my 2010, but am really thankful for the Sonar and backup camera in my world of tight parking spaces and small children.
    I think you are right this might be the last year they produce the Sequoia. I own a 2001 Sequoia that I bought new and it has been the very best vehicle that I have ever owned. The vehicle has had no problems other than the brake rotors being under sized for the weight of the vehicle. Toyota replaced and upgraded the entire front braking system at no charge to me at 22,000 miles. The vehicle now has 97,000 miles with no problems other than normal maintenance.

Nissan/Infiniti had the same problem the first year the Titan came out. The solution for them was to replace the brake pads three times before they would upgrade the rotors. I will pay a little more for a Sequoia but in the long run be ahead just because Toyota stands behind their product better than the competition.
  • bobd80016bobd80016 Member Posts: 4
    I have been Sequoia hunting for the last 3 months. I never saw the $10K discounts on 08 Limiteds that earlier posts described. The closest I came was $7500 ($3500 cash back and $4000 discount) off MSRP on a 08 Limited with no navi or DVD just before Labor Day. The remaining 08s moved off the lots here in the mid-Atlantic very quickly. The prices on low mileage used 08s are a joke. Only a couple of thousand less than new.
    The internet had an article stating that Toyota will be launching a billion dollar (their biggest ever) discount and incentive program to boost sales during the fourth quarter. I'm hoping that generates something for the '10 Sequoia.
    Nice to see some discussion on this thread again. :) Good stuff.

Anyway, back in posts starting in the 1550s, I think I mentioned the discounts I was seeing on '08 Platinums this past summer. For example, one dealer in May with a vehicle MSRP of $58,155, started negotiations with an internet price of $49,955. I offered $43,616, but then when I realized he probably would only knock 1 or 2K more off, I decided to wait for the '10s.

Been a long wait . . . in the meantime, had the opportunity to learn about other vehicles a bit.

Although I know I can pick up a '10 for about $3K off these days, I am still giving it a couple months minimum. if I can make an extra 1K a month (in form of a discounted price) simply by waiting 2 months, then that $2K covers a lot of maintenance over the years ahead on it. :)

It's not like we can't afford the thing, but rather it is my Scottish roots that got me where I am today, debt-free and able to pay cash for the truck. Waiting also forces me to constantly assess my opportunity costs. I totally agree with the poster above about the positives on the Sequoia over the Infiniti (especially appearance), but waiting this long has already potentially benefited me by forcing me to discover those other opportunities.

I should say that I was very surprised to see the deals on the Infiniti, and that is why I have been focusing on it. I know many have lost faith in Mr. Stock Market, but if I can save even $8K between the two vehicles, then that little voice in me tells me to pay attention. $8K at 10% return over 10 years is about $20K towards my next vehicle.

When the new '03 4Runner came out at end of '02 and was selling at MSRP (38K) with no deals, then I forced myself to look at the '03 Pathfinder. Long story short, I picked up the loaded LE Pathfinder for $30K at the end of 2002, and then I invested the $8K. We actually turned that $8K into over $31K and then remodeled part of our house in '07 with it.

YES, I always would have loved to have that 4Runner, but that desire was easily more emotional than anything, as the Pathfinder has done everything I needed (I was really surprised by that), and now my wife actually drives it with small kids beating it up. :) So, in the end, the savings and subsequent investment was a good lesson learned and it's what is driving this now.

There is no guarantee that I could turn 8K savings into 20 or 30K again, but at least I have the shot at it. Buying the Sequoia straight out, without at least considering other choices, means I have no possibility of ending up with 20 or 30K in 10 years. Anyway, I know this is not a personal finance board, but just wanted to give some food for thought. Most of my friends never put so much time/thought into this stuff, but then again, I am the "statistical outlier" of the group. :)

I will post what sort of prices I am seeing in mid-atlantic come November. I am willing to pay a premium for the Sequoia given a lot of things it has over the Infiniti, but right now the spread is too great. Fingers crossed that that will soon change.

Good luck to all.
  • flatout18flatout18 Member Posts: 9
    Wanted to chime in to help others searching for the Sequoia. I just bought a "base" Sequoia Platinum (MSRP - $56,475) in the Southeast region for $51500 plus TTT. Basically, $5000 off MSRP and the dealer had to find the car (not on lot). Keep in mind cost is slightly higher in Southeast region because of charges by the distributor in the Southeast region. Charge to invoice is $925 higher than what you find on edmunds.

Tried several dealers but couldn't get any to beat or match. Actually, they insisted that something would be added, dealer fee etc. No such thing. Only TTT. Communictaed entirely by email until the deal was done. Not too difficult. Deals will likely get better but they aren't going to give the cars away.

For those not paying cash, Bank of America is offering fantastic rates on auto loans. I secured 4.2% APR for 60 months. At this rate, depending on your situation, it may or may not make sense paying cash.
    That is a great price for a Platinum and I assume it is 2 wheel drive. I was checking on prices Southeast region on overstock .com cars and you can get 4,815 off msrp 2 wheel drive Platinum model. The same vehicle in the mid -atlantic region is 1,152 higher or 3,663 off msrp. The list retail price for the vehicles in both regions is 56,630 now. This does not include that hidden 925 dollar fee charged in the Southeast region. I guess the cost to do business is higher in the mid-atlantic region. The taxes in the mid-atlantic region are certainly out of control compared to the southeast area.

A 4x4 platinium model list for 59,855 and you can get 3,932 off msrp mid- atlantic region and 5,136 southeast region. The draw back to the south east region is you can only get a flex fuel engine on the 4x4 models. I see no advantage in a flex fuel engine. The mileage is at least 20% worse and perhaps 30% worse, the fuel is hard to find. The fuel delivery system is made more complicated on the 5.7 liter engine to use a fuel that is scarce at best. E 85 causes a water problem in the fuel line and gas tank, is tough on metal, and costs more to produce than gasoline. The government pays oil companies about 51 cents a gallon to make the crap so it sells about 24 cents less than a gallon of gasoline. The draw back is you have to use more of it to go the same distance as gasoline so it ends up costing a lot more.
    Most of us with Flex Fuel engines will never put ethanol in them if possible.

As it was explained to me, the flex-fuel engine is being made for political reasons so that they can continue to manufacture the Prius, etc. without any grief (or at least not as much).

Rest assured that the dealers are more than aware of the drawbacks you mentioned above. In fact, I understand that I really should avoid ethanol if possible as it burns "dirty" and really isn't ideal for any engine. Therefore, the reduced fuel economy is really irrelevant.

You are accurate about the Southeast and the flex-fuel option on the 4X4's.....
    I may be stubborn but I refused to be forced into buying a 4x4 Sequoia with a flex fuel engine. The engine has to be modified with larger fuel injectors and a larger fuel pump to deliver more fuel when E-85 is used. The gaskets that come into contact with the E-85 fuel also have to be different along with the fuel lines. I would also assume the computer system to regulate the amount of fuel being used has to recognize the mixture of ethanol in the fuel. The entire system is made more complicated to use a crap fuel that is hard to find that I would never use. The old saying of keeping it simple does not apply here. The more complicated something is the better chance something will malfunction. I do not want to take a chance on this modified engine to make the government happy.

The cost of this vehcile is high and as a customer paying the bill put the engine I want in the vehicle. I always thought Toyota was being forced into this by the government. I like the Toyota product and have bought a 4x4 Sequoia outside the southeast region just to get the engine I want.
    Because formatting gets lost, here is how you read Sequoia for example:

SEQUOIA 1,150 2,030 -45.6 11,752 24,592 -52.0

September 2009 sales = 1,150, versus 2,030 in September 2008, for a decline of 45.6%; calendar year to date sales = 11,752, versus 24,592 in 2008 period, for a decline of 52%.

Once you get format, then you can compare to other cars and SUVs.

TOYOTA RETAIL SALES
    (INCLUDES FLEET & HAWAII)
    September, 2009

-----CURRENT MONTH----- --CALENDAR YEAR TO DATE--
    DSR % DSR %
    2009 2008 CHG 2009 2008 CHG
    ---- ---- --- ---- ---- ---

YARIS 1,907 5,721 -68.0 50,785 88,495 -42.4
    COROLLA 20,741 21,316 -6.6 215,038 279,685 -22.8
    CAMRY 25,745 29,486 -16.2 264,357 355,562 -25.3
    VENZA 4,738 0 N/A 39,416 0 N/A
    AVALON 1,939 3,404 -45.3 19,878 34,309 -41.8