Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• indy93indy93 Member Posts: 97
    I have the same problem. Do you notice much difference in power or ride over the 04? Is the navi usable?
  • raprap Member Posts: 10
    I don't really mean to rehash this topic again, but can someone please explain the advertising fee to me? Is it something that dealers will always include in their "invoice" price and how much is it exactly for a Limited 4X4?

I have searched the forum, and gotten mixed info suggesting it is anywhere from $300 to $500. I spoke with one dealer recently, and he insisted that "EVERY" dealer would include this in their invoice price. However, the invoice price he quoted me would lead me to assume the advertising fee is in the neighborhood of $800. I know that the Edmunds invoice price does not include this fee ... Should it?

Can someone please elaborate? Thanks.

RAP
  • lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    Try Smart Shopper board or Tips and Advice tab above. Hope that helps.
  • cbrewercbrewer Member Posts: 5
    I'll let you know. It won't be delivered until the weekend of the 25th.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Advertising Fee discussion. Just click on my link to get there!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I have moved your post to our advertising fees discussion. Just click on my link in the previous post to check for feedback.

kirstie_h

PS - don't use the "refresh" button - it reposts your message!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• raprap Member Posts: 10
    Where on the forum is the Smart Shopper Board? Thanks.

RAP
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here it is: Smart Shopper

tidester, host
  • mason11mason11 Member Posts: 7
    My friend just bought a 2004 Limited version 4X2 with rear spoiler at Tustin Toyota for 34000.00 before T & L tonight. I think that is a great price since it's way below invoice!
  • ah_loverah_lover Member Posts: 2
    Testdrove 05 Sequoia SR5 4WD. In the dealor lot I noticed these,...

1. noticed 05 has 280+ horses with 5 Speed A/T, which is made in U.S.

2. noticed 04 has 240+ hourses with 4 Speed A/T, both of which are made in Japan.

Then, concerns are,

1. Should I stick to 04 because it has Japan made A/T?

2. Or should 05' A/T, which is manufactured in U.S be just as reliable as 04 Japan made A/T? Do any one know who (supplier) made 05 A/T?

3. The MSRP's are almost same for both 04 and 05 at around 38.7K's,which has Alloy Pack #1, roof rack, cloth seat etc. What would be the reasonable deal for 04 and 05 with such options? 04 at Invoice? 05 at Invoice + 4%? or something like that?

Sorry for long message

Any idea would be certainly appreciated.
  • albertl1albertl1 Member Posts: 1
    Good deal! How your friend got the deal for his sequoia? Thru internet or one only in the newspaper? I want to get one with the white color.
  • austx_sr5austx_sr5 Member Posts: 14
    Hello,
    Received the following quote, and wish for some feedback. Notice that the Dealer is offerning me the options at "invoice". Is this a good deal?

ExMile Opt Pkg D $1,345
    Cargo Net $34
    Window Tint $75
    Vehicle Shield Package $99
    Custom Tape Stripe $59
    Sun Roof Wind Deflector $55
    Alloy Wheel Package #2 $1,468
    Convenience Package $204
    Roof Rack with Rails $176
    JBL Am/Fm/Cass/ 6 CD $536
    Dr and Fr Pass Seat Mounted Side Airbags, First and Second Row Side Curtain Airbags with Rollover Sensor
                            $430
    Front Fog and Drv Lmp $88
    Sun Roof $800
    Daytime Running Lights $32
    Stainless Steel Exhaust $42
    Leather Interior Upgrade Including Leather Seats, Door Trim, Liquicell Comfort Technology, Power Lumbar Support.
                            $1,704
    Molded Dash Applique $225

TOTAL OPTIONS $7,372

MISC COST
    Freight $595
    MAF $446
    TDA $275
    Base Vehicle H.B $649
    Pio HB $426
    Finance Reserve $324

TOTAL MISC COST $2,715

Base Vehcile Price $27,924

Total Price $38,011

OTD price $40,786

Please let me know if you think this is a good deal
    Thanks for any insite...
  • joelnovajoelnova Member Posts: 11
    Seems to be a good price. The cheapest deal I've found so far is in www.fitzmal.com (i live in Metro DC area). This dealership is selling their '05 for an average of $200 above invoice.
    What is OTD? Did you already buy this vehicle? And at what price? Thanks.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    OTD = Out-the-door price.

I bought a 4runner from Fitz in 2000. They had the best prices around then. I check back periodically and they are still well below anyone else. Carmax is not even in the ballpark of being reasonable on Sequoias. I don't know if you've checked Koon's in Tysons Corner (I think). Since they claim to be a volume dealer, you may be able to haggle them down below Fitzgerald's prices.
    I have not purchased this vehicle YET.
    When you say you priced a 05 @ 200 above invoice, does that also include:
    M.A.F.
    Freight
    Advertising
    Based Veh HB
    PIO HB
    Fianance Reserve?

I keep hearing/reading I should go for OTD price, but i don't know if i am getting the best deal without knowing if i should be paying the above stuff.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Freight is definitely included but I'm not sure about the rest. Best thing is to go to www.fitzmall.com. These other stuff are probably written somewhere. I believe they also have an toll free number to call.
    Aggiedog, thanks for the info on Koon's. I will check them out.
  • patricktpatrickt Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2004 SR5 4X4 with all the usual options (convenience, daytime running, sunroof, alloy #2 pckg, roof rack, side airbags, fog lamps,a nd floor mats) plus leather preferred package. We got it at $36,718 (MSRP $41,718)out the door. Is this over or under invoice? Anyone know? According to edmunds.com it's $88 over invoice which seems like an okay deal for an over 40K SUV.
    when you said, Out the Door (OTD), does this mean Taxes included? Thanks.

Also does anyone know what (1) Black Pearls emblem and (2) Owner's portfolio means??
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    1) Black Pearl Emblems are just that: Black. Or charcoal gray. You know the emblems and badges on most cars are silver or gold. On a dark color car, you almost can't see them.

2) I'm not positive about the owners portfolio, but a good guess would be just the owners manual wrapped in some fancy (leather?) binder.
  • patricktpatrickt Member Posts: 3
    No, the price was $36,718 without tax and without the $1,000 rebate. The price was $38,249 including all taxes.
  • smokesmoke Member Posts: 4
    You should be able to get the sequoia for about 5k off list price they are not in demand like they used to be.I bought 04 limited in 12/04 and got 5k plus off list price couple hundred over invoice.The Dealer was Coughlin automotive Newark Ohio
  • rscotts1rscotts1 Member Posts: 4
    Was quoted by a local dealer here:

2005 Limited 2WD
    $42,377.00 which includes Document fee,Sales tax, License fee and Destination charge. Is this a good price?
    Since taxes and license fees vary widely from state to state, city to city, it's impossible for anyone to evaluate your deal unless you post the price before taxes & license fees. Thanks!

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• txericksontxerickson Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how extensive the exterior redesign will be on the Sequoia? I have narrowed it down, but am concerned about buying one now with a redesign coming so soon.
    Hi txerickson - this discussion is about pricing & purchasing experiences only. If you want to talk about vehicle features and potential redesign, please visit our regular Toyota Sequoia discussion, or start a new topic about the redesign on the Future Vehicles board.

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• babbaloo99babbaloo99 Member Posts: 1
    Got a $33,225 quote for a Sequoia SR5 05 with the following options. Is that decent? Also, has anyone tried Costco pricing and whether or not it helps save any money off invoice? Thanks.

EJ - Radio/CD
    KE - Keyless entry
    GY - Curtain airbags
    DR - Roof rack
    AG - Alloy wheel package #2
    CQ - Convenience package
    CF - Floor Mats
  • hawaii1hawaii1 Member Posts: 25
    We are in the process of buying another car and I will be the one driving it for the most part. We came out of a Honda Odyessy, went to a GMC Yukon (not good for my back and an american car,do I need to say more?) I have back problems and need something comfortable with running kids around all over. Any advice on what people think of this vehicle for comfort would be appreciated.
  • mark1mark1 Member Posts: 5
    Dealers here in NY were quoting $500-700 over invoice inclusive of all fees and would not, repeat, would not break off of their price. Even after explaining how aggressive Nissan was being on the Armada, each and every one said, in sum and substance "Good for you, go ahead and buy the Nissan."
    I went with the '05, at an increased cost of about $5K, because of the changes to the powertrain, 4WD system and the second row console that came with the LX package.
  • lin1lin1 Member Posts: 1
    Where did you buy your vehicle. I am looking in the Boston area for a loaded 2005.
  • inform_meinform_me Member Posts: 18
    Hello members,

I have found a local car dealer advertising a 2004 SR5 for around 28000 dollars with 22000 miles on it. It looks good from outside in pictures and retail price of a similar car from kbb.com is 24 to 26K.
    1) What would be an ideal price for this SUV?

Also I found 5 entries in the CARFAX request (free version), but couldn't believe a new SUV can have 5 entries in it in the firs years itself. have to buy the report and verify it.
    2) But does this many number of entries mean an accident or so? How do I verify it?

3) Since it is still under warranty, should I get it inspected by another dealer before I buy it?

This is the first time I am buying an expensive SUV from the secondary market and look forward to your advice.

Thanks
    Inform_me
  • chimemakerchimemaker Member Posts: 11
    BUY THE REPORT or make the dealer pay for it!
    You should take it on a LONG TEST DRIVE! Be SURE it Starts, Stops, Turns Properly, is Quiet and Smooth, Rattle Free, and All Accessories Work.
    Doors, Hatch and All Windows Open and Close OK.
    Check the body lines for proper fit and finish.
    Any Part well out of line could be it was Damaged
    It is still under the bumper to bumper 36k mile warranty so you shouldn't have to worry much.
    I take no chances and get the 100k extended warr.
    But, that's up to you. Bring someone familiar with SUV's or have it inspected. You should price compare too, at carsdirect.com and other internet sites, a new one is only 30k to 35k depending on how many options you choose!!
  • sactoguysactoguy Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone recommend a dealer and/or suggest reasonable pricing for the Sacramento area? I am looking for a 2005 Sequoia Limited 4x4 and have received two quotes from two different dealers: $42530 and $42800 (before tax/license, etc). These are for 2005 Limited 4x4 with:

RF - Rear Spoiler

EJ - CD Changer

GY - Curtain Airbags

CF - Floor Mats

Both dealers claim invoice is around $42000 (although I haven't actually seen the invoices). My Consumer Reports Car Buying Kit report indicates that the invoice should be around $41100 and there is a $900 holdback so that according to them the true wholesale price is around $40,200. Has anyone else used these Consumer Reports reports, and are they accurate?

With all that being said, does $42,530 or $42,800 sound reasonable? (My choice would boil down two different dealerships with different color combos, the more expensive dealer has more color choices on the lot).

And I know the local Sales Tax is 7.75% which will be added on, can anyone tell me what else I should expect to pay for licensing fees and or any other misc costs (or what I should fight to have removed if it's unneccesarily added)?

Looking to buy in the next 3-5 days if possible, so any quick response will be appreciated and thanks in advance for any and all advice.
  • rscotts1rscotts1 Member Posts: 4
    Hey sactoguy, I did a little research and found that the invoice price for a Limited w/4-wheel drive is approx: $39,675.00. The prices you are being quoted sound more like MSRP prices. I too am in the process of getting my first Sequoia Limited with the following options:
    RL Daytime Running lights
    GY SRS
    RF Rear Spoiler
    EJ JBL system w/10 speakers
    EY Rear DVD system
    Have already ordered it and should be arriving at the end of November. I will be paying approx $44000.00 Which is $3050.00 below MSRP. With only 3 Toyota dealers here on Oahu, getting the price down is like pulling teath. The things sell like hot cakes when they become available since there are so few of them on the Island....Good luck.
  • ttsuittsui Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

Last week I purchased a 05 Limited 2WD with Navigation, DVD entertainment, Luxury package, moon roof, side curtain airbag, rear spoiler, floor mats for just below $42000 + tax & fee. I thought it is a very good deal.

The only thing that I didn't purchase is the extended warranty. The finance guy tried to sell me the platinum extended warranty package which costs $2000. Is it worth the cost? Anyone knows the difference between platinum vs basic warranty package?

Tommy
    The MSRP for the vehicles I was quoted are about $46550, so price quotes of about $42530 is definitely below MSRP. I estimate my quoted prices to be about a 6% markup over wholesale, and according to the dealer, just $500 over invoice. A few more calls to other local dealers and I can't seem to do any better, so I think I'm just going to purchase the vehicle for the $42530 quoted. I also want to purchase within the next few days because this would be a business vehicle and I am concerned about the Section 179 deduction being reduced. If you haven't heard, Congress just passed the American Jobs Creation Act of 2004 which limits Section 179 deductions for SUVs and other vehicles under 14,000 pounds to $25,000 (down from $100,000). But this provision does not become effective until the President signs the bill, and with Bush campaigning, the President had not yet signed the bill. That means there is still time to purchase an SUV or other vehicle under 14,000 pounds and write off the entire cost for 2004 as a Section 179 deduction. I think he may sign the bill soon after Election Day.
    Uh oh, I just searched and it looks like the Prez signed the American Jobs Creation Act on Friday October 25! It's not the end of the world as I think all but about $8600 of an approx $46500 vehicle (tax, fees inlcuded) is still deductible in 2004, and then $2150 each the next 4 years.
  • colfaxguycolfaxguy Member Posts: 1
    I too am going to buy a 2005 LX loaded with everything except the captains chairs in the back. I need the bench seat. I would be interested in who you ended up buying from and what you had to pay.

tks
    I ended up going to Fairfield Toyota because they were the only ones within an hour's drive who had the color/options I wanted. I paid $42,600 (before tax/license) for a 2005 4x4 Limited with RF - Rear Spoiler, EJ - JBL 10 speakers / CD Changer, GY - Curtain Airbags, CF - Floor Mats, E5 Exhaust Tip by Valor. MSRP was $46,753.
  • dirtdevil2dirtdevil2 Member Posts: 8
    I am looking to buy 05 Sequoia SR5 4x4 with Navi and DVD.

Can anyone tell me if they have recently got this and how much was the msrp and selling price and in what state.
  • gottschalkgottschalk Member Posts: 10
    One may have a very difficult time finding an SR5 with Nav. Dealers are not ordering them that way so we have to go with limited models. It is also very difficult to order SR5's with Nav. After much prodding I got my dealer to "try" and order one with this option but I am still waiting for the confirmation. This information is straight from the dealers mouths, including Dianne at Carson Toyota. She ordered our first Sequoia in 2001.

As far as pricing. No one should be paying more than $500 over invoice. There is not a limited supply of these vehicles and it looks like 2006 with show some major changes.

Good Luck
  • toyotimetoyotime Member Posts: 1
    Hiya. I received very similar quotes - I was wondering how you knew for sure what their Factory Holdback was.
  • baseballmom97baseballmom97 Member Posts: 101
    My husband and I drove an '05 Sequoia today and I really liked it. He wasn't more impressed with it than our '02 Yukon, however ultimately it's my choice since I drive it and the price compares very closely with the Yukon. We found out that Toyota is giving $2000 cash-back to the dealer right now on '04 and possibly '05 as well (probably just on the '05) Does that pretty much mean that we can offer invoice on the car and the dealer really doesn't have to make anything on this??? Hubby thinks I'm wrong but I've been reading Edmunds for awhile and I think this is a fair deal. They make $2000 just for us signing the papers and taking the car off the lot. Also, we have pretty much decided it is worth it for us to lease for 39 months and we come out financially even and get to upgrade to a new one at that time. We definitely need to make the deal first and then determine the lease rates from the negotiated price, correct? Thanks!
  • ttcttc Member Posts: 17
    Greetings everyone,
    I am about to purchase a 05 Sequoia, and have got a quote from dealer in Portland Oregon. Could someone help me to justify if this quote is the best one I can get here? Is there something else I might have to keep an eye on?

Here is the details and options on the 05 Sequoia:
    Internet Price Total : $39,163. (no tax, not including title fees)

2005 Sequoia SR5 4WD
    Factory Installed Accessories: FE GY KE PG RL SR DJ DR HY PT CQ SP TO
    Port Installed Accessories .: HP CF

Options added:
    Dr & Fr Pass Seat Mounted Side Airbags,
    First & Second Row Side Curtain
    Airbags w/Rollover Sensor & Cut-Off Switch
    Keyless Entry
    Rear Passenger Door Privacy Glass
    Daytime Running Lights
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof
    JBL AM/FM/Cass/CD w/10 Speakers
    Roof Rack w/Rails
    Rear Seat Audio w/Wired Headphone
    Capability & 115v Power Outlet
    Preferred Package Includes: Pwr Leather Trim
    Heated Captains Chairs, Leather Split Rear
    Seat, Steering Wheel w/Audio Controls
    Convenience Package Includes: Power Heated
    Outside Mirrors, Accessory Meter w/Compass
    Outside Temp. Gauge, Homelink, Trip Computer
    Sports Package Includes:16" Alloy
    Wheels w/P265/70R16 Tires, Front Fog
    Lamps, Rear Air Suspension, Tube Running
    Boards, Front Skid Plates
    Tow Hitch w/7 Pin Converter Trailer
    Wiring Harness & Towing Package
    Auto-Dimming Mirror
    Preferred Accessory Package
    Toyotime, I used the online version of the consumer reports car buying kit to learn all about the pricing. It was very useful. It gave me a starting point when talking to Toyota salespeople, who after I threw out a starting figure (CR wholesale price + $1000), they all said something to the effect that wouldn't be able to sell at that price, that their invoice price was higher. Of course invoice is higher, that's the accounting game dealers play. Anyway, after visiting 5 dealerships and negotiating from the bottom up, I was able to get a feel of what their bottom line was. So if I did not get the best possible deal, I think I got a fair deal. And even if I was able to go back and forth some more and maybe save a couple of hundred bucks, after a while it's not worth it, my time is valuable and I wanted the car and had received what I thought was a fair quote. And now that I've had the Sequoia for a month I'm very happy with my purchase.
    Based on my consumer reports printout, I think that's about $300 over invoice so I'd say your getting a good deal. But I'd recommend you buy the Consumer Reports report yourself and make sure that all the correct options included, my analysis might have missed something or included something extra.
  • ttcttc Member Posts: 17
    I ran the TMV report in Edmunds and found the price is about $1100 over TMV's invoice. is there normally some delta between consumer report and Edmunds TMV, or they should be the same?
  • super100super100 Member Posts: 1
    Model:2005 2WD V8 Sequoia Limited
    MSRP:$47,963
    ----- Your Price:$43,087 -----
    Above quote includes the following equipment:
    STD.STANDARD EQUIPMENT
    FE.50 STATE EMISSIONS
    EJ.PREMIUM 3-IN-1, 6-DISC CHANGER
    GY.CURTAIN & SIDE AIRBAGS
    RF.REAR SPOILER
    NV.NAVIGATION SYSTEM
    EY.REAR ENTERTAIMENT SYSTEM
    RL.DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS
    CF.CARPET FLOOR MATS
    This quote includes all fees except Sales Tax*, License fee, and a $45 Documentation Fee.
  • baseballmom97baseballmom97 Member Posts: 101
    I just made a deal for a new '04 Sequoia SR5 4 x 4 in Ohio with the following options:

Preferred Package/Leather
    Convenience Package
    Roof Rack
    Sun Roof
    17" Alloy Wheel Package
    Few other small options

Sticker: $42,213
    Invoice: $37,694

Final Price: $36,100 plus tax and title.

This included a $2000 dealer cash incentive so the dealer is still making $500 on the deal. He has to pay someone $100 to go pick it up out-of-town.

This Sequoia is Silver with Black Pearl emblems and I'm not sure what those look like. Anyone know?