Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gina171gina171 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a Toyota Certified Used Sequoia in the Atlanta area. 2003, 30K miles, SR5, 4 wheel drive, leather, power sunroof, running boards, 3-in-1 stereo, roof rack, curtain airbags, power driver and passenger seats, jade green with the smoke/black chrome package (looks extremely nice!), dual AC, trailer hitch, tinted windows, bug guard (so much on it that it's almost a Limited), 30K Servicing already completed, 4 brand new gorgeous, huge Michelin tires....and the dealers don't budge on price at all for the Certified Toyotas. Pretty arrogant at times. Paid $32,900 for it. Had them drive it to my mechanic pre-purchase for an inspection, worth every penny ($100) for the mechanical peace of mind. Was able to get a 7yr/100K Toyota Platinum Warranty (with no deductible) for an additional $760, which will also provide enormous peace of mind....especially after reading some of these forums!
    I know we did not get a great deal, but for Atlanta, it was a fair price. And how long would we have to wait before a Certified Used Sequoia loaded with all the stuff we wanted showed up again on a dealer's lot? Like I said, it was a fair price, just a bit below what Edmund's said we should have paid. So far we are thrilled with the vehicle, satisfied with the price. If this Sequoia performs half as well as our 2000 Sienna has, we will be very, very happy!
    What are other folks paying for comparably loaded, 4-wheel drive 2003 Sequoias?
  • gina171gina171 Member Posts: 4
    So, it seems that the 4 wheel drive option is what makes dealers less willing to budge on price? That was certainly our experience, but I was surprised that this one option would make them so inflexible on price. Especially with the 2006's coming out soon.
    Can anyone confirm that the 4 wheel drive really does make the price much more expensive, and dealers less likely to bargain?
  • lumber2lumber2 Member Posts: 184
    4wd does make a vehicle more expensive, but less willing to negotiate? I don't think so....
  • mavricmavric Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am currently shopping for a 05 Limited, 4x4 with read dvd, airbags etc... We were looking at the Nav system but do not want the 2nd row buckets. One dealer told us that the nav system is only available with the lux pkg on the Limited (He happens to have a limited coming in with out the nav system).. So is he just trying to steer me to the vehicle coming in or is it true that to get the nav system, you have to get the lux pkg?
  • tanakasantanakasan Member Posts: 7
    Here in So. Cal, its true. For every 4x4, there must be 100 2wd. Or more. Not much wiggle room if there are not any other trucks available. Dealer know what others have in stock. SR5/2wd tons. Ltd/2wd-tons. Here in L.A. county, most people are looking for loaded ltds...nav/dvd/lux, lux, lux. I went North 200 miles to get my 4x4.

Once you get to Ltd/4x4, next (and usually last) step up is nav/dvd/lux pkg-usually all or none. Thats why I jumped on my ltd w/o dvd/nav/lux. 6CD, side curtain, everything but nav/dvd/lux. Nav would be nice, but needed dvd and already included lux-console and buckets a no go for me. I have a 61" home theater and doubt if my wife or I would ever sit in the 2nd row to watch a movie.

Mavric probably could special order but your "dealing hand" goes even further south!
  • arnieharnieh Member Posts: 2
    it's alot less about the price than about the service. When a dealer offers a quote on a car that is at the lot then i expect it to be there. When they offer to bring it to my house and then rescind that offer, then I wonder if they're just playing games. Negotiation becomes alot easier if you decide what you want and how much you want to pay for it. Finding a dealer with good business ethics seems alot more difficult. I'd avoid Elmore Toyota at all costs. Power Toyota of irvine and Toyota of Orange seem much more reputable
  • mab4mab4 Member Posts: 1
    I want to report on a horrible experience I just had with Atlantic Toyota in Amityville, Long Island. I received an internet quote from them on a 2005 Toyota Sequoia, and after a bit of negotiation by phone and e-mail, we agreed on a price of $47,360 for a fully loaded Limited 4x4 (DVD, Nav, Luxury package, etc.). I had the price confirmed in e-mail with approval of the Internet manager. To make a long story short, when I went into the dealership (45 minutes drive from my home), they reneged and refused to sell the vehicle for less than $51k. And they were nasty - it was as if the customer just doesn't matter. Rather than apologize, the salesperson and internet manager refused to argue with the dealership manager, and I was ultmately offered the demo model for the agreed price. Needless to say, I walked out on this obvious bait and switch scam. I drove over to Millenium Toyota in Hempstead, did a similar deal (paid a few more bucks) but could not have received better service - they were great.

Needless to say, I would recommend that all Toyota purchasers stay very clear of Atlantic Toyota in Amityville. They are unethical and downright nasty. please do not give them your business.
  • jmq0821jmq0821 Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking for the same thing and ran in to the same problem. We just moved from Dallas, Texas (Gulf States Toyota Distributor) to Atlanta, GA (Southeast Distributor) and found out that the Southeast Distributor does not like to order Navigation without the luxury package. In Texas, it was easier to find. So, we are having to give up the navigation system to get the 2nd row bench seat. We should have bought the Sequoia over there instead of waiting to move to GA.
    You have to special order it if you want Nav and Bench seat in the second row in the Southeast.
    Just curious, what kind of price are you getting? The best deal I have found is the following:

4X2 Limited with 2nd row bench seat and the following options for $41,000

Side Airbags
    DVD (10.4 Dropdown)
    Rearview Camera Mirror
    Rear Spoiler
    Sunroof wind deflector
    Molded Dash Applique
    Window Tint (in front windows)
    Daytime Running Lights
    Interior Light Package
    Carpet Mats
    Custom Pin Stripe

Is this a good deal?

Jeannette
  • textechietextechie Member Posts: 7
    I am looking to buy a Sequoia LTD 4x4 in the very near future and was wondering if anyone on this board can help me out with info on price they've paid for a similar one. Any local dealers you would recommend?
  • sifi_007sifi_007 Member Posts: 10
    I got mine for $1,015 below invoice. It was a pretty good deal. Mine includes:
    - Sports package
    - Convinience Package
    - 6 CD changer
    - Running Boards
    - Tow hitch
    - Roof rack
    - Privacy Glass
    Its a great vehicle. My wife loves it. Especially when she got it for the lowest possible price. Invoice: $35,949, got it for 34,934!!!
  • krajkraj Member Posts: 4
    I am being quoted $37,000 for 2005 Sequoia SR5 4x4 with the following options

AG : Alloy Package # 2 ( Includes Privacy Glass )
    DJ : JBL -> 10 speaker
    GY : Curtain and Side Airbags
    CQ : Convenience Package ( Compass, outside temp, garage )
    KE : Keyless Entry
    DR : Roofrack
    RL : Running day lights
    E5 : Exhaust Tip By Valor

Is this a good price ? What would be appropriate for this ?
    Contact several dealers via email or fax and see what their offers are. Usually they'll bid for your business. Thats how I got my 05 Sequoia SR5 4x4 for $5,000 off MSRP, and $1,015 below invoice. Good luck.
  • lk888lk888 Member Posts: 3
    does any one know if I can purchase a new SR5 with Navigation system? It seems only the Limit come with the Nav option but I think the Limit is way too expensive. I'm in Connecticut and about 1 hour from New York City. I'm looking for the following options: 4x4, 3rd row seat, side airbag, roof rack, tow hitch, moon roof and the nav system. Thank you.
  • krusty46krusty46 Member Posts: 2
    You can, but no one appears to stock them at all. Atleast not in NY (Long Island).
    I just picked up my SR5 yesterday and I really wanted NAV and DVD like I had in my Lexus. Not one dealer I went to could even get it for me.
    I'm putting it all in aftermarket. Gonna get a nice Alpine setup. I have a local installer that has done tons of work for me that gives me good deals and does good work. It'll cost me about $4k, but it should end up being nicer than the factory stuff.
    I think the NAV alone is about $2000. Two dealers actually told me to do it myself and one told me they would do it for me but with aftermarket products.
    I got a 2006 4x2 LTD with the following options

EJ
    FE
    GY
    RL
    D0 (Extra mile Option Package D)
    EX - 10.4 DVD
    P4 - Vehicle Shield package

for 41,800.
    No one in Dallas FortWorth area could beat this price or come close to this.
    Let me know if someone needs info on Dealership.
    Ok, I guess I won't be able to get the SR5 4x4 with Nav. Could someone please provide me a good dealer/deal in NY, CT, NJ area for a 2005 SR5 4x4 with 3rd row seat, moonroof, running board, towing package and etc. etc.? Krusty46, may I know your purchase price and dealer? May I also have your installer contact info, I may do the same thing as you to install an aftermarket Nav after purchasing.

Thanks a lot.

Also, does anyone know if dealer is willing to give more discount for a truck like Sequoia with the current oil price?
  • amatuamatu Member Posts: 4
    I am looking for a similar 2006 Seq with Nav in Austin/Houston/Dallas area. Please send me the dealer info if it is allowed in this board.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Sure... dealer names and city/state are allowed...

You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I got mine from Toyota of FortWorth. They had given by far the best deal in DFW area.
  • toyotasalestoyotasales Member Posts: 8
    Hi. It sounds like you got a great deal, but your reference to salespeople being able to eat couldn't be more incorrect. A typical selsperson at a dealership doesn't ever get paid off of holdabck. That is designed to cover expenses, such as lights, lot damage, etc. Salespeople in all my years, I would say about 90% of the time get paid at between 25-40% commission on any amount you pay over invoice. If that amount is less than $100, then the dealer pays them waht is called a "mini". Which is $100 pay for selling you a $50,000 vehicle.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    This is typical for most Toyota stores. I'll confirm that. At chevy and possibly frod it is different but the volume is a lot lower too.

Examples: ALL Corolla's, Matrixes, Scions, base Camry's and ANY sale vehicle earn the sales person $100 ...maybe $150 Max but no more. If a typical sales person spends the normal 23 working days a month including ( every Saturday for the rest of their lives ) and finishes with 13 new car mini payments then he/she earns ... $1500 that month or about $18000 per year... or about $7.00/hr... most leave after 4-5 months.

As my colleague posted above it doesnt matter whether a salesperson sells a $14000 Corolla or a $41000 Sequoia if its a mini deal then the sales person gets $100.
  • mattglobalmattglobal Member Posts: 1
    We live in Seattle, WA and we purchased our 2006 4x4 Limited for $45300 (excl tax and license)

Here's what we got:
    - 4x4 Limited
    - Timberland Mica (Green) with Taupe (Beige) leather seats
    - 50 State Emissions
    - DVD Rear Entertainment System with 2 Wireless Headphones
    - Rear Audio Controls & 115 Volt Power Outlet
    - JBL AM/FM/Cassette/6 CD Changer with 10 Speakers
    - Driver & Front Passenger Seat Mounted Side Airbags
    - First & Second Row Side Curtain Airbags
    - Rear Air Suspension
    - Rear Spoiler
    - Daytime Running Lights
    - Preferred Accessory Package
    - Exhaust Tip by Valor
    - 7 Pin to 4 Pin Adaptor
    - Extreme Cargo Mat
  • sbernesesbernese Member Posts: 1
    I filled out the internet bidding form at pricegrabber and received a quote for a toyota sr5 sequoia from Manhattan Toyota dealership. When I called the dealer the next day , they told me that the salseperson was no longer there and to come in to negoitate the price. They claimed not having any knowledge of any quotes they had given out on the internet the day before. Typical bait and switch, low quote to get you in the dealership. I was surprised.
  • clb6385clb6385 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a 2005 or 2006 Sequoia. In general how much better should I do on a comparable 2005 vs. the 2006? My early impression is that better than invoice pricing is well within reach on the 2005.

Has anyone used a Costco membership to buy a Sequoia?
  • paphietapaphieta Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a 2006 SR5 4x2 with FE, CQ, DR, EJ, AG, GY, KE, LF, SR, & CF. MSRP 38,529. Got it for 34,000 - 1,500 rebate. Net price 32,500+TTL. Bought this at Tustin Toyota. Great people and service. Highly recommended.
    A fully loaded truck with the following options:
    4x4
    Touch screen Nav System
    Convenience Package
    Roor Rack
    Alloy Wheel Package #1
    Dr&F Pass Seat Mounted Side Airbags
    Kelyless Entry
    Front Fog Lights
    Prefered Package (Leather)
    Moonroof
    Carpeted Floor Mats/Door Sill Protector

Ticker price $45,474, I paid $39,292(excl tax and register).

Dealer is Prestige Toyota in Ramsey, NJ.

Actually I got the same quote from North Toyota but they need 6~12 weeks to special order the vehicle for me. I went via pricegrabber.com and Presitige Totyota offered me a 2006 Limit for $43,000 (not bad at all), I decided not to pay 4000 extra for DVD. I emailed them about the SR5 with Nav and they told me they had the exact same vehicle (with my prefer color: Grey) available within days. They even delivered the vehicle to my office (40 miles from them). I also got the $100 coupon from pricegrabber by purchasing the vehicle through them within 14 days. So far, everything is cool, I love the vehicle.
  • skimonkeyskimonkey Member Posts: 1
    Just finished purchasing a New 2005 Sequoia SR5 4x4 with roofrack, foglights, floormats/sill protector, keyless entry for $ 30782. Only after agreeing to this price deal, did I ask the dealer for a financing offer, which they were able provide exactly to my specified terms for 5.99% with no early payoff fees. Recommend West Herr Toyota of Buffalo, NY.
  • newcarbugnewcarbug Member Posts: 1
    I chatted with the dealership finance guy, and I asked him for a ballpark estimate on a payment for a $41k vehicle with no money down, superb credit with current Lexus vehicle status (encore tiers)...he said my payment would be around $550-560 a month.

I can't figure how this can happen. He said I would have to pay the first months payment, but he didn't mention a security deposit or any other fees. Did he 'forget' to mention these things, or can I negotiate my way out of the fees? How do they figure the leases?

I want to get a 2005/2006 Sequoia SR5 with leather, moonroof, air bags, tow, rear audio, and DVD.

Thanks
    Most fees can be rolled into the lease payment..

Your dealer can probably give you a ballpark figure off-the-cuff, because he sees quite a few of them every day.. Most 3yr/45K leases range from 1.1%-1.5% of MSRP, with only 1st payment and security deposit upfront..

Of course, the 1.1% of MSRP payments are the ones you want...

What is negotiable?

1) The purchase price

2) The money factor... this is the equivalent to the interest rate.. The bank sets the base rate, but the dealer can mark it up for extra profit, just like they would a loan rate.. always insist on the base money factor.

3) The acquisition fee... this is a bank fee.. sort of like closing costs.. again... there is a base fee, that the dealer can mark-up.. insist on the base fee..

4) Residual percentage.. This is set by the bank.. it varies by model and lease term/mileage.. This is not negotiable and the dealer can't change it.

Your dealer's estimate of $550-$560 monthly for a $41K vehicle certainly sounds like a good ballpark figure.. but, it would be dependent on the vehicle and lease program..

If you have specific questions about a Toyota Sequoia lease, then please post those questions here: Toyota Sequoia: Lease Questions

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• cloud1cloud1 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a 2006 Sequoia SR5 with the options listed below. What is a good price for this vehicle? Does anyone have any experience with the Costco program, especially with regard to buying a Sequoia? Does anyone have any comments about the Dealers in the area, especially Ourisman and Miller?

Has anyone heard anything about the 2007 Sequioa? When will it be out and what changes will be made? I don't want to buy one, but was wondering if it would significantly affect the prices of the 2006 models?

Thanks in advance.

Options:

Option Combination #D
    - Alloy Wheel Package #2(AG)
    - Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror(IV)
    - Convenience Package(CQ)
    - Driver & Front Passenger Side Airbags and Front &
    Second-Row Side Curtain Airbags [4](GY)
    - Integrated Fog Lamps/Driving Lamps(LF)
    - JBL 3-in-1 AM/FM/Cassette/6-Disc In-Dash CD
    Changer w/10 Speakers in 6 Locations(EJ)
    - Keyless Entry(KE)
    - Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sunshade(SR)
    - Preferred Package #2 includes: Leather-Trimmed
    Interior w/Power-Adjustable Heated Front Captain's
    Chairs w/Adjustable Headrests and Steering
    Wheel-Mounted Audio Controls(PT)
    - Rear Seat Audio(HY)
    - Roof Rack(DR)
    - Running Light System(RL
  • laxamandlaxamand Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2004 Sequoia Ltd/4WD/TV/DVD with 22,500 miles. I negotiated the price from $34,999 to $32,200. I used all the research acquired from Edmunds and also told the dealership that I was also looking at a 2003 Sequoia Ltd/4WD/TV/DVD with 35,500 miles from CARMAX in Sacramento which was listed for $30,998. I stood my ground and got what I think is a decent deal. Any and all input is appreciated.
  • scw18scw18 Member Posts: 5
    I am looking to buy a Sequoia this weekend in Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Has anybody had any recent experiences with dealers (good or bad)in this area that they are willing to share?

Thanks.
  • straightupstraightup Member Posts: 1
    Did you buy your Sequoia yet? I am buying tomorrow and found that I could get a better deal than Costco. Costco's numbers are (Dealers Invoice + a few hundred). You can probably negotiate below invoice.
  • merliniummerlinium Member Posts: 1
    I also just purchased a Used 04 Sequoia Limited, but mine is 2WD, also no DVD or TV.

Package includes, door jam covers, Spoiler, Moonroof, Heated seats and fold up mirrors, 6CD indash changer, cargo and floor mats, 26K miles, dealer was asking $34,999 ended up paying $27,400 with darker tinted windows included (extra add-on).

For anyone else that has put addons into the vehicle, what do you suggest?

K&N Style filter?
    Mod performance chip?
    What kind of MP3 compatible player is available?
    any other MPG and/or power increasing addons available?

TYIA
  • 5ofakind5ofakind Member Posts: 3
    2006 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4x2 Phantom Grey Pearl

--DVD Nav Touch Screen System AVN E7006
    --DVD Rear Entertainment System w/ 2 Wireless Phones, Rear Audio
    --Luxury Package
    --Dr & Pass Seat Mounter Side Airbags
    First & Second Row Side Curtain Airbags
    w/ Rollover Sensor & Cut-off Switch
    --Rear Spoiler
    --Daytime Running Lights
    --Carpeted Floor Mats/Door Sill Protector/First Aid Kit
    --Air Delector for Moonroof
    --Chrome Exhaust Tip by Valor

$40,895 + tax 3,327 + tags 375

Out the door $ 44,642.60

Toyota of Escondido

Let me know what you think of the price.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who just purchased or are looking to purchase a large SUV. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday May 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PST/8:00 PM EST containing your daytime contact information and the vehicle you are interested in purchasing or just purchased (please provide approx. date of purchase).

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • obelixobelix Member Posts: 2
    Everything is negoatiable on a lease. Go to leaseguide.com and you'll see how it works - don't buy the kit, just understand the mechanics.

If you want a ballpark for residual values (big deal on a lease) go to leasecompare.com, enter your car, miles, term and look at the residual you get in the offers (they'll be a % of MSRP - for example, 36 month, 12k miles/year residuals are around 44-48% MSRP) the residuals vary big time between vehicles (compare US vs Japanese vs German cars and you'll see) and drives the lease cost big time.

Calculating a lease is easy - there's two components:

Depreciation = (Selling Price - Residual)/# months

Finance charge = (Selling Price + Residual) * Money factor.
    now the money is just to throw you off:
    Money factor = Interest rate / 2400 = Interest rate / (12 * 2 * 100)
    Thus Finance charge = (Selling Price + Residual) * Interest rate/ (12 * 2 *100)
    with some algebra:
    Finance charge = (Selling price + Residual)/2 * (Interest rate/100) / 12
    Finance charge = Average loan amount from lender * Interest rate as decimal / 12 (to make it monthly)

Then Depreciation + Finance charge = Monthly payment.

(note, Ford Motor Credit adds a ~2% "fee" into their lease calc and so the above formula falls short - they were getting sued big time about it, not sure where it ended up)

As you can see it's no different than a loan in that the selling price and interest rate are a big deal (the dealer will never tell you interest rate, they talk money factor - just multiply money factor * 2400 and that's your interest rate and should be comparable to loan interest rates) - so haggle the price!! The residual is a % of MSRP and is not negotiable, it is what it is for a particular vehicle - yet varies big time by vehicle and lender. The captive lender will usually give you better residuals to make their leases more competitive.
  • carhockeycarhockey Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if they are changing the Sequoia model for 2007? Thanks!
  • stokeslstokesl Member Posts: 2
    Car man, can you price me a Toyota Sequoia Limited lease priced at $44,950 (also use, the 2K incentive) for 36 month lease 15K miles
    We just had the brake light come on on our Sequois SR5 4x4 while driving down the interstate. It only has 15k miles on it. It went away when we parked the car and pushed on the hand break. We smelled burned brakes s0 we took to the dealer. The dealer said the brake fluid was low and that the breaks were fine. Has anyone had this problem? How did you go about resolving it? I hope the dealer is right. I dont want to get into an accident because of faulty breaks. :sick:
    Is anyone having a hard time opening the rear window on their Sequoia? I had noticed that sometimes the rear window would not roll down until I push the button several times.

Does anyone know why this is and how to fix it?
    Hi, sifi_007..

This is a pricing discussion.. You'll probably have better luck getting your questions answered here:

Toyota Sequoia: Problems & Solutions

Toyota Sequoia

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• abahriabahri Member Posts: 4
    I am looking for a Sequoia and I think you got a good price. Can you tell what the invoice price was?

Right now Toyota has a $2000 cash back.

So is "Invoice minus $2,000 cash back" a good price?
  • mattcaemattcae Member Posts: 1
    Luxury Package
    Rear Spoiler
    JBL 6CD 10 speaker stereo

$42,500 OTD

Is this a good price?
  • wolfekmwolfekm Member Posts: 18
    Looks like the last message on here is a few months old - does anyone have current pricing on the sequoia? Is there a certain time of year that is best to buy a Toyota (ie - incentives)? We're looking to get one sometime between now and September and are a little flexible with timing... Thanks!
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    IMHO- try and hold out for as long as possible. When the redesigned Sequoia hits the showroom or right before it hits the showroom there will be crzy incentives for the current Sequoia like there is for the current (outgoing) Tundra.
    Thanks - I think we'll do that. This way we can take a peek at the 2008 and make sure we won't regret not waiting for one of those. To be honest though, I like the size of sequoia as it is, and don't see need for it to be much bigger....
  • hematochezhematochez Member Posts: 9
    Carsdirect price for 2007 Sequoia SR5 4x2 with Rear Entertainment system is $30,959

Anyone get better deals than that?
  • dgrazdadgrazda Member Posts: 18
    Any word on when Toyota is going to get aggressive on their 2007 Sequoias? I can't believe that they have not started moving these more...it it so bad in San Diego, that as I return to the dealership lots, I am seeing the same vehicles week after week...some "test drive vehicles" have been there soooo long that they have nearly 800 test drive miles on them....hardly a new car at that point! I am interested to see what the April incentives look like. If it is the same 1500 back, then I have to wonder what they are thinking?

Let make this forum a good resource for prices paid. I have gained some understanding of the Southern Cal market but am interested in seeing other's observations.
    Personally, I think it will be a while before they start with aggressive incentives. Most of the dealers seem to know NOTHING about the 2008 redesign, so what's the hurry in their opinion?